User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 110 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 418 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by slyla:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on it for a few days now in an attempt to get off Zoloft. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety as a result of PMDD. Today I took a very low dose while tapering off Zoloft and its not pleasurable at all. I'm nauseous, extreme dry mouth and severe anxiety. I work with the public and felt so jittery that I couldn't work. I am willing to tough it out with some support and compassion from my family, friends and co-workers but I don't like feeling like something is controlling my ability to function. I really hope it improves.

March 10, 2012 6:30 PM

Review by interpreter 101:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have been on Paxil 6 weeks now. I am feeling so much better it is a miracle. In this experience I realized that I had some issues that I needed to face and some grudges that I needed to let go that had built up over the years. I thought that I would never experience another normal day again because my anxiety attacks and depression were so severe I thought my life was over. I tried to avoid taking medicines and fighting my anxiety off myself but anxiety started to take over my life.

March 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by happy face:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have neen taking 25 mg of paroxetine for 5 years and have had 1 panic attack and basically no more anxiety. My overall mental and physical health has increased dramatically due to paroxetine. It takes around a month to take full effect and side effects slowly disappear. Go get a gym membership and work out 3 to 4 days a week, be conscious of what you eat and your quality of life and overall happiness will return.

February 29, 2012 12:53 AM

For Depression: Paroxetine stopped working for me after about 8 years on it. Thus commenced a mad scramble to find a new solution. We began by increasing the dosage and switching to name brand Paxil - to no avail. Then I tried adding Wellbutrin, still no help. Then I went to Viibryd without experiencing relief, and finally Pristiq. I found out there was no good way to taper off Pristiq, so I stopped all meds for about a week and a half. Finally, a psychiatric nurse practitioner put me back on the paroxetine, but this time with the addition of Abilify. That seems to be doing the trick. After a horrible two and a half months, I am feeling steadily better. Everyone's different, of course, but hopefully my experience will help someone else.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2012 8:22 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil has saved my life. After my fathers death, I was in a major depression and suffered for panic attacks for 6 years. I used alcohol and drugs to numb of the reality. I finally decided to get my head straight and started using Paxil 30mg. I feel like a million bucks, everyday I wake up I'm happy and excited for what the day may bring. It does bother me that I have to rely on a drug to feel normal, but it is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I plan on staying on it for the rest of my life. I see it as I have a problem with my brain so I need a pill to fix it, just as a diabetic needs insulin. Thank you Paxil for giving me my life back. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from severe depression & anxiety.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2012 9:22 PM

Review by iknowuraliar:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Been on Paxil almost 2 years. Been taking it in the morning the whole time. Have to take a 2 hour nap everyday round lunch time. I'm switching to night time to see if it helps. I gained 50lbs and I'm emotionless, however I like that because I'm no longer screaming at my kids about every little thing and never cry like I use too. Had a hard time reaching orgasm the first few months, but side effect does pass. I take 20mg and when I feel myself fixing to have a fit I take an extra 10mg. I love my Paxil, just hate the tiredness and weight gain. Highly recommended.

February 9, 2012 6:14 AM

Review by JanR37:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had a chronic depression since I was about 2 years old. Paxil lifted the feelings of always walking around in depression and changed them to a normal level of feelings and emotions! Who could ask for more?

January 29, 2012 1:38 PM

Review by Jb1997:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is wonderful I am 14 years old and have anxiety and deppresion. This month has been wonderful but I have to get a higher dose of Paxil because my body got use to it. It made me feel like I was normal but the begging side effects were tiredness. Felt like I was on a boat, hard to breath and blured vision. But after 2 weeks my body to got used to it, I feel like a new person.

January 25, 2012 6:50 PM

Review by jvaski:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I used Paxil twice for depression and mood swings while on chemo therapy. Both times I only used half the min dose (5mg/day) and it did help considerably reduce anxiety and depression associated with being on extended chemotherapy. It also controlled anger and road-rage associated with chemo therapy. Recently I tried Paxil a third time in preparation for another round of chemo - and Paxil made me feel lousy after a few weeks taking it. I stopped and switched to Celexa. Both previous times when Paxil did work I made the serious mistake of stopping it abruptly. I had to go back on it and gradually reduce the dosage by splitting pills over two weeks. I'd give Paxil a rating of 10 had I not had problems with it this time.

January 15, 2012 1:46 AM

Review by Medicated1111:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I took Paxil for 10 years. Started on 20mg and had intense anxiety, confusion, panic. Doctor insisted it was all in my head. Therapist told me to cut the dose in 1/2. Felt somewhat better. Went up to 20mg after a few months and began to get brain zaps. A close friend told me I had lost my personality. Slept 10-14 hrs a night and frustrated my partner because of sleeping, no sex drive and no ability to feel sexual pleasure. Effects of alcohol intensified- passed out from 2 drinks or became over-emotional. Tapered from 20mg to 0 slowly over the 10 yrs. Each tiny decrease resulted in ~2wk period of increased anxiety. I think overall it numbed the panic but CBT therapy and getting older may have been more or similarly effective.

January 12, 2012 12:48 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paroxetine worked absolute wonders for me when I first started the paroxetine 6 years ago. My mood elevated so high to the point of work colleagues questioning my 'nightclub activities'. The 'serotonin high' also made me aggressively confident and involved a few flashpoints including a physical fight- my first for 15 years. While it worked it was GREAT. However, it lost it's efficacy suddenly a few months ago and I was prescribed sertraline/Zoloft which was a disaster. Headaches, Nausea and insomnia was my bodies reaction to this medicine. Have now been put on citalopram and hoping this will be effective. My doctor suggested I may try paroxetine again if I don't respond to citalopram.

January 11, 2012 4:33 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I first took Paxil in high school for minor depression but weaned myself off of it in college. About a year later I began having awful, day-long panic attacks which caused me to take two months off from school. So back on the Paxil I went, knowing that I would probably be taking it for life. I have tried several other medicines as well, but they didn't work for me. Paxil is the only thing that makes me feel "normal" and clear-headed. If I don't take it for a couple of days I do start feeling a little light-headed and anxious, so I wouldn't ever quit cold-turkey. I recommend trying a few different medicines if the first ones aren't a perfect fit, everyone is unique, and Paxil works for me.

January 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Review by penny1234:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: Took away hot flashes, but drowsy during the day. I just started this medicine 5 days ago. I hope that side effect leaves, it's like walking in a fog.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2012 12:29 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: When my doctor asked me how I felt my Paxil 20mg was working (after being in Wellbutrin unsuccessfully for two years) I could only explain it as "someone finally washed both sides of the windows". Other medicines (Zoloft) helped with some anxiety but left me still depressed. Still others (Celexa) helped with the depression but the anxiety was left uncontrolled. I finally feel like I am back on track to take control of my life. I am pretty sure some dosage adjustments still need to be done, but I am amazed at the past four months on Paxil and what a difference it has made. The minor OCD I was experiencing is gone, the anxiety is a minimum and the depression no longer rules every day. I wish I would have done this for myself and my family years ago.

January 7, 2012 6:01 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Weight gain, no positive aspects for me.

December 27, 2011 4:33 PM

Review by paxilperfect:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Thanx to Paxil I'm still here to type this comment, it saved my life. I was started on 20mg but had to go up to 40mg (max dose) for about 3 years after which I was slowly dropped down to 20mg, then right down to 10mg, which I was on for awhile then down to 5mg and eventually went off the medication. The times I did miss my dosage it was usually the second day when the zaps started along with the feeling of vertigo. The half life of this medicine is very short about 3 days that's why people feel withdrawal symptoms so quickly but I've found quite tolerable for the good it has done for me. A wonderful medication!

December 15, 2011 9:14 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and have been taking Paxil for about 3 months. When I first began the medication I completely lost my appetite. I dropped 10 pounds within the first 2 weeks without even trying. After about a month it leveled back out. However, even after 3 months I still don't sleep well on it. It has also taken a toll on my sex drive. I'm in the process of quitting Paxil to try something new. You do not want to quit this medication suddenly. You will experience terrible withdrawal symptoms. Even though I am quitting gradually they are still quite intense.

November 21, 2011 12:28 AM

Review by Kayx03:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Helps me with being able to go out without thinking everyone is looking or talking about me, more confident and less hot flushes and palpitations, however all I do is sleep. I'm going to bed about 8 at night and waking up at half 7, almost falling asleep during work. Great for people who can't sleep well but for me I don't want to spend the rest of my life in bed! Also I would advise not to drink alcohol with this, seriously blank outs no matter how much you drink. You don't realize till the next morning that you can't remember a thing which is a horrible experience. Going to try to come off this gradually.

November 17, 2011 3:59 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. After a year or so on Desipramine, my shrink switched me to Paxil. I've been taking 20mg/day for years now. It saved my life. About 10 years ago, after moving to a different State, I slowly weaned myself off Paxil at the suggestion of my former primary care physician. In less than one year, I started having panic attacks again. Long story short: I'm on Paxil 20 mg/day for life. It doesn't not make sense to suffer with Panic Disorder.

November 16, 2011 7:07 PM

Review by Freed:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on it for almost nine years now. I started having anxiety about 10 years before then and I struggled through almost anything I set to do. Since my doctor put me on paroxetine, I've been myself again. Totally calm. Can't believe I didn't get to know about it earlier. It's a God send.

October 30, 2011 4:19 PM

Review by gypcsol:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I began taking 10mg Paxil when I was 28 (I am now 38) for panic attacks and stayed on it for around 6 years. I felt so good on it that I felt like I didn't need it anymore so I weened myself off of it with no problems! After going through early menopause my Doctor put me on 50 mg of Zoloft, that worked well for my hot flashes and mood swings but when I began having panic attacks again the Zoloft did nothing. My Doctor then increased the Zoloft to 100mg, it did nothing for my panic attacks only made me more nervous! I am now taking 20 mg of Paxil. I am here to say that it has only been one week, but what a difference a week makes! I feel like myself only a little tired. I have no other side effects and it gave me my life back!

October 21, 2011 12:39 PM

Review by madhatter57:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started paroxetine 20 mg 2 1/2 months ago. First few days I was very nauseous. That went away fast and 2 weeks into it I felt good. I could deal with my small anxieties and stresses. I still can deal with them because I don't care, in fact I came to find I don't care about anything anymore. About 2 months into this medicine I started sleeping 12 to 14 hours not good, along with very vivid strange dreams and I don't care - about anything! My ears ring with a buzz and I was gritting my teeth until a piece of my molar broke off. I was not depressed when I started, but I think that's where I'm headed. I have recently had suicide thoughts. Last 2 weeks taking only 10 mg (split pills) to taper off, after reading all about the withdrawal.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 4:39 PM

Review by happy on paxil cr:

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have health-related anxiety issues. Ten years ago I took 25 mg Paxil CR for about a year and it was a life-saver. No side effect, no withdrawal issues. A month ago my anxiety returned for a new reason. My doctor started me on 20 mg citalopram. I think I had every side effect possible and made my anxiety worse. I switched to 12.5 mg Paxil CR and within three days was a new person. For me, there is no better medicine.

October 15, 2011 5:42 PM

Review by JMcTavish:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil worked very well for my anxiety. I used to not be able to function in a crowded room but now I am fine. I find that it also gives me sturdy thick erections which I never used to have.

October 14, 2011 8:57 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Miracle pill.

October 3, 2011 6:25 AM