Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 40 medications

Depression 116 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 468 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by trishlm:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I was able to cope with people better and it eased me from flying off the handle. The downfall was when I owed my Dr money and she refused to refill. The withdrawal is terrible and now I am back to the anger issue.

March 22, 2013 1:46 AM

Review by Happy B:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Before taking Paxil, I was on several different antidepressants which didn't work. At one point I had to be hospitalized, but since being on Paxil I am no longer depressed. Only side effect that I have experienced is dry mouth. It has been 17 years that I have been symptom free!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Cat Guy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked.

March 20, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by Amy3413:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil saved me from panic attacks and anxiety. It has worked for me for years. I would definitely recommend.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by XN mom:

For Anxiety: This med really helped me through a difficult time. I had ongoing GI illnesses/food allergies that just wiped me out. It took that to turn to a pharmaceutical aid. It really did work. It made me drowsy so I had to adjust from taking it in the morning until bedtime. After my other physical trials passed (my GI system working properly), I did find that I gained a lot of weight and was a bit flat emotionally. Even my hubs commented on seeming a bit too indifferent. I chose to carefully wean off the medicined. Weaning off the medicine takes a good deal of effort - be prepared for that. Yet, I was thankful I had this medicine while I really needed it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2013 2:07 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me.

March 5, 2013 8:29 PM

Review by Brittany B (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took Paxil for a total of 10 years for anxiety and panic attacks. I was put on it at a young age, but I don't see how I could have gotten through those ten years without it. Paxil is great and works wonders for anxiety, but I didn't want to be on it my whole life. I'm now 20 and doing great without it. I think the medicine gave me a sense of confidence after a while that made me realize I could get through my anxiety on my own. A confidence that helped me find my own coping mechanisms for my anxiety so that I no longer needed to rely on the Paxil anymore. I highly suggest Paxil to anyone with anxiety disorder looking for a medication to help.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 7:10 PM

Review by dc1530:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road.

February 20, 2013 9:50 AM

Review by sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication.

February 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by Drukus:

For Depression: On 2 months of 20mg per day. The first 5 weeks were not bad with side effects at all. I noticed a slight mood elevation but nothing more. In week 6 I hit some side effects like insomnia and had 6 hours of bad sleep over 5 days. Completely miserable time. Seemed like once that passed, I got the benefits significantly.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 10:30 PM

Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!

February 2, 2013 5:46 AM

Review by Hannabanana:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: It's only been one week since starting Paxil (20mg) and I can honestly say I feel great! I have no side effects. I will post once a week and let you know my progress!!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 4:11 PM

Review by luv2gallop (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: This medication has evened me out so well so far. Been on it for about a month and what a different. I couldn't lose my temper if I wanted to, and my anxiety and irrational fears have subsided. Very calm since on this... so much that I'm back with my ex-boyfriend who can now trust me not to argue anymore!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 7:28 PM

Review by 1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!

December 28, 2012 9:39 PM

Review by babymommaj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: Throughout my whole pregnancy and even after (my son is 5 months old) I was under a lot of emotional stress. About two and a half months after he was born I started having what I thought were heart attacks so I went to the hospital. Come to find out I have severe panic attacks and saw my PCP the next day and she prescribed me Paxil. The only things I've noticed is that I've lost a lot of weight. I was a healthy 120 and am now 109 lbs. I also bruise extremely easily and could sleep all day long. I still have slight panic attacks but all in all, they have pretty much gone away. I also have times where I seem to be very focused. I highly recommend it to anyone.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2012 10:20 PM

Review by CP15856 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Caused me to have very bad headaches. Light sensitivity. Dizziness.

December 6, 2012 12:36 PM

Review by cellamonster (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: This has been a miracle for me. I've been on it for two weeks and its already helping. The only thing is I have terr

December 1, 2012 1:30 PM

Review by nopaxil (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil was a nightmare for me. I took it for 1 week and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch and experienced even more intense anxiety. For the first time in my life I felt suicidal with increased racing thoughts. It wasn't for me. Maybe I should've hung in there longer, but I was concerned about my own safety.

November 18, 2012 10:08 AM

Review by val210 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I was suffering with anxiety depression and obsessive compulsive disorder when I was 17. It got so bad that I was willing to try anything to help me even if it was just a little bit. I was prescribed paroxetine and the first day I took it, I could not believe how much better I felt. The anxiety was completely gone and the excessive negative thinking and worrying was gone. It was honestly a miracle pill for me. I'm 27 years old now and have been struggling with stress and OCD again. I'm wondering if I should see my doctor to give me a prescription for this again!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2012 12:09 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Had terrible dreams like they were actually real. Felt like I was in a cloud all the time

November 1, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Summer1989 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I first tried Paxil in 2003, after trying everything and I do mean every antidepressant on the market. I couldn't believe in less than a week I was already feeling relief. My mistake: I kept going on and off of it. It eventually stopped helping. So for 3 years I went on Celexa, which helped less than Paxil but more than others. Recently I began getting severe generalized anxiety dsorder along with my Depression. I finally decided to give the Paxil a try again since so much time had lapsed since I'd been on it. Well...it worked again. Feeling better than I have in a long time. Message: Everybody is different so Paxil won't work for all. But if it does you..STAY ON IT. Don't try the on and off thing. Good Luck!

October 31, 2012 4:39 PM

Review by College Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Paxil has changed my life! Before: paranoia about people watching me, extreme anxiety walking or being in public places, such as cafeterias, college campus, small groups of people. Mind blankness during conversations, or "social lock up" - inability to interact with others due to severe anxiety. Always woke up feeling tired even if I had a full nights sleep. Side Effects (lasted 2 weeks): 20mg daily. Severe fatigue/sleepiness. A little dizziness if dose was taken late. Headache the 1st two days. Now: Began working really well 7-8 weeks in. No more social anxiety, I feel normal walking around & talking to people. Also I sleep better than ever. Overall anxiety level has gone down & I no longer ruminate/worry constantly! Paxil rocks!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2012 10:46 AM