User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

7.2
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 381 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by penny1234: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: Took away hot flashes, but drowsy during the day. I just started this medicine 5 days ago. I hope that side effect leaves, it's like walking in a fog.

January 9, 2012 12:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: When my doctor asked me how I felt my Paxil 20mg was working (after being in Wellbutrin unsuccessfully for two years) I could only explain it as "someone finally washed both sides of the windows". Other medicines (Zoloft) helped with some anxiety but left me still depressed. Still others (Celexa) helped with the depression but the anxiety was left uncontrolled. I finally feel like I am back on track to take control of my life. I am pretty sure some dosage adjustments still need to be done, but I am amazed at the past four months on Paxil and what a difference it has made. The minor OCD I was experiencing is gone, the anxiety is a minimum and the depression no longer rules every day. I wish I would have done this for myself and my family years ago.

January 7, 2012 6:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Weight gain, no positive aspects for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 27, 2011 4:33 PM
Review by paxilperfect: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Thanx to Paxil I'm still here to type this comment, it saved my life. I was started on 20mg but had to go up to 40mg (max dose) for about 3 years after which I was slowly dropped down to 20mg, then right down to 10mg, which I was on for awhile then down to 5mg and eventually went off the medication. The times I did miss my dosage it was usually the second day when the zaps started along with the feeling of vertigo. The half life of this medicine is very short about 3 days that's why people feel withdrawal symptoms so quickly but I've found quite tolerable for the good it has done for me. A wonderful medication!

December 15, 2011 9:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and have been taking Paxil for about 3 months. When I first began the medication I completely lost my appetite. I dropped 10 pounds within the first 2 weeks without even trying. After about a month it leveled back out. However, even after 3 months I still don't sleep well on it. It has also taken a toll on my sex drive. I'm in the process of quitting Paxil to try something new. You do not want to quit this medication suddenly. You will experience terrible withdrawal symptoms. Even though I am quitting gradually they are still quite intense.

November 21, 2011 12:28 AM
Review by Kayx03: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Helps me with being able to go out without thinking everyone is looking or talking about me, more confident and less hot flushes and palpitations, however all I do is sleep. I'm going to bed about 8 at night and waking up at half 7, almost falling asleep during work. Great for people who can't sleep well but for me I don't want to spend the rest of my life in bed! Also I would advise not to drink alcohol with this, seriously blank outs no matter how much you drink. You don't realize till the next morning that you can't remember a thing which is a horrible experience. Going to try to come off this gradually.

November 17, 2011 3:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. After a year or so on Desipramine, my shrink switched me to Paxil. I've been taking 20mg/day for years now. It saved my life. About 10 years ago, after moving to a different State, I slowly weaned myself off Paxil at the suggestion of my former primary care physician. In less than one year, I started having panic attacks again. Long story short: I'm on Paxil 20 mg/day for life. It doesn't not make sense to suffer with Panic Disorder.

November 16, 2011 7:07 PM
Review by Freed: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on it for almost nine years now. I started having anxiety about 10 years before then and I struggled through almost anything I set to do. Since my doctor put me on paroxetine, I've been myself again. Totally calm. Can't believe I didn't get to know about it earlier. It's a God send.

October 30, 2011 4:19 PM
Review by gypcsol: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I began taking 10mg Paxil when I was 28 (I am now 38) for panic attacks and stayed on it for around 6 years. I felt so good on it that I felt like I didn't need it anymore so I weened myself off of it with no problems! After going through early menopause my Doctor put me on 50 mg of Zoloft, that worked well for my hot flashes and mood swings but when I began having panic attacks again the Zoloft did nothing. My Doctor then increased the Zoloft to 100mg, it did nothing for my panic attacks only made me more nervous! I am now taking 20 mg of Paxil. I am here to say that it has only been one week, but what a difference a week makes! I feel like myself only a little tired. I have no other side effects and it gave me my life back!

October 21, 2011 12:39 PM
Review by madhatter57: User Rating:

paroxetine for Anxiety and Stress: I started paroxetine 20 mg 2 1/2 months ago. First few days I was very nauseous. That went away fast and 2 weeks into it I felt good. I could deal with my small anxieties and stresses. I still can deal with them because I don't care, in fact I came to find I don't care about anything anymore. About 2 months into this medicine I started sleeping 12 to 14 hours not good, along with very vivid strange dreams and I don't care - about anything! My ears ring with a buzz and I was gritting my teeth until a piece of my molar broke off. I was not depressed when I started, but I think that's where I'm headed. I have recently had suicide thoughts. Last 2 weeks taking only 10 mg (split pills) to taper off, after reading all about the withdrawal.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2011 4:39 PM
Review by happy on paxil cr: User Rating:

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have health-related anxiety issues. Ten years ago I took 25 mg Paxil CR for about a year and it was a life-saver. No side effect, no withdrawal issues. A month ago my anxiety returned for a new reason. My doctor started me on 20 mg citalopram. I think I had every side effect possible and made my anxiety worse. I switched to 12.5 mg Paxil CR and within three days was a new person. For me, there is no better medicine.

October 15, 2011 5:42 PM
Review by JMcTavish: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil worked very well for my anxiety. I used to not be able to function in a crowded room but now I am fine. I find that it also gives me sturdy thick erections which I never used to have.

October 14, 2011 8:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Miracle pill.

October 3, 2011 6:25 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took this medication for 7 years on and off. I would always try to taper off and be free of it but I always ended up going back to the point that I NEEDED it. I had side effects of being sleepy constantly, and gaining 30 lbs. But I did feel better overall. I've been off of it for a year now and debating going back on it.

October 3, 2011 2:50 AM
Review by Ricasell: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have suffered with panic all my life. Since taking Paxil I don't have them. If you run out the panic comes back. I've heard bad things about Paxil but it saved my life so its worth it.

September 29, 2011 8:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I suffered with a pretty severe anxiety, stress and depression. Took Paxil 4 days ago and honestly I feel great. It already started working. Lot of it could be in my head but trust me all my symptoms disappeared. Side effects: from day one I had a light headache, day two -a little harder headache, day three unbearable headache, day four(now) no headache, feeling perfectly fine, great mood, even though its raining and dark outside. GREAT medicine. Also its worth to add, it worked the same wonders for me about 8 years ago when I had it for the last time. I was on Paxil for 6 months and it healed me. I had 7 years of great life and suddenly 6-7 months ago this thing attacked me again. Paxil works again, same way.

September 29, 2011 3:11 PM
Review by Love it and hate it:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Paxil a little over a month now. Before I started taking it I had terrible anxiety, stress and depression. Since I've been taking it I've felt happy and stress free. The only problem I've had is that it can work a little too well. My grandpa went into hospice care and we knew he would die but I was still happy and stress free. I ran out of my Paxil and that's when it hit me that he's dying, then he died and I reacted as I should have, sad/depressed. I refilled my prescription its been less than 2 days since he died. While it is great I feel so much better, I wish I could feel the sadness I should be feeling.

September 17, 2011 11:42 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Paxil has helped me live again.

September 17, 2011 1:38 AM
Review by Bruzer: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Panic attacks are greatly reduced, depression persists.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 14, 2011 1:18 PM
Review by BZZ87: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I took paroxetine (Paxil) for 2 months. It took a while to feel any effect from it. It did help regulate my moods a little bit, but after a month and a half it started giving me stomach pains and feelings of hopelessness and suicide. I am still experiencing the effects of not taking it anymore. It's been about a week since I quit. I was going to taper the dosage but it just made me too sick. I am sure this medicine is great for others but my body just did not agree with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 9, 2011 11:39 AM
Review by mrsdracomalfoy: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took Paxil for nearly 9 months and it seemed to cure all my ailments. I didn't realize how many things were attributed to my anxiety including, chest pains, nausea, headaches, etc. I really felt great (after a week or so of insomnia which is a common side-effect). I recently stopped taking Paxil since I was feeling so great. That is really tough. I had awful dizziness (but again this is to be expected) for about 10 days. Several weeks later I am realizing I felt much better on Paxil and am thinking of returning to it.

August 30, 2011 2:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Has helped me tremendously with anxiety and depression for almost a decade. Don't recall any side effects though. Start on a low dose and always taper it down slowly when going off of it or you will feel crazy!

August 29, 2011 11:48 AM
Review by paxilguy: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I took Paxil 20mg for 8 years. It is excellent for depression, anxiety and social anxiety. I completely lost all anxiety, shyness and experienced relaxed euphoria. I excelled at work and dealing with people. However it is very sedating, I would drink coffee all day while on it. I look back on those 8 years and it all seems like a blur. Sleep very deeply and a lot but at least I was happy. I'm now in my mid thirties and was recently switched to Celexa because I started finding it difficult to achieve orgasm on Paxil. Bad decision...I now experience anxiety from the moment I wake up, shortness of breath, agoraphobia, terrible and obsessive thoughts, and racing thoughts and a feeling that I am going crazy. I'm going back on Paxil.

August 25, 2011 3:01 AM
Review by Momof2FightingAnxiety: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder/Bipolar/Manic Depressive: Today will be my 7th Dose, I am having a love hate relationship with my Paxil, it made me EXTREMELY tired for the first 4 days, headaches on day 4 & 5, Dizziness day 2-7. I feel spaced out & every morning I wake up & want to stop taking the meds because of how I feel. I am not like "myself" BUT, I didnt like myself to begin with, I suffered from panic attacks that last for days on end with only relief from Xanax. I would have anger outbursts towards the ones I love the most. Now, although my world feels off balance, I have noticed less anger and more smiling. I am going to stick with it for another week, even though I know tomorrow I will want to stop again. Just hope side effects lessen.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 23, 2011 9:41 AM
Review by Daycareprovidingmomof2: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: On day one, I noticed a calmness come about me. Now I'm on day 6 of 20 mg and still calm but, not emotionless. I love that I'm not quick to anger anymore. I am having minor panic attacks however. The doctor said it may take a full 6 weeks to feel the full effects. I was having serious panic attacks at night in my sleep and those have gone away. I keep clenching my jaw, that started on day 2. I am really tired like I've taken a Benadryl and I have to nap or I wont make it to bedtime. I am enjoying life much more though and I'm seeing all of the things I missed because I couldn't relax or enjoy the moment. I have two months of pills and then the doctor wants to see me so hopefully shes not going to pull me off. I feel like a new woman.

August 18, 2011 10:06 AM