User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 113 reviews 75 medications

7.3
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 445 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by Anamax:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I can honestly say, after years and years of dealing with my anxiety, leaving school to be homeschooled, not being able to function and just accomplish and do the things I wanted to do, being a slave to anxiety every second of my life, finally at 18, after a year of what has been the worst anxiety of my life, I made the decision to take Paxil. 26 days on the medicine and I can honestly say it has changed my life, and saved it. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, anxiety does not exist in my life or control me anymore, I am now in control, and it was such a beautiful relief to have such an incredible outcome.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by JToni (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children.

May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JohannesB (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I wonder if anyone can relate to my experience with Paxil. During about 17 years of severe depression and anxiety, no medication (I've tried them all) seemed to help and the ones that did, brought along unbearable side effects. ECT didn't help either. Paxil is the only pill that really works for me, but it makes me slightly manic. Combining it with a mood stabiliser works perfect %u2013 but only for 6 months. After that, it's depression all over again. After waiting for another 6 months, I can start using Paxil in combination with a mood stabiliser again, with good results that always only lasts for 6 months. This 6 months on/6 months off has become a very predictable pattern over the years.

May 26, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by Cymro:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This really works. Been on it for a week and now feeling much less anxious. My anxiety was pretty bad, couldn't get through the work day without an anxiety/panic attack. Saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really helped.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by orchidr:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I started to use Paroxetine since May 8, 2014, my experience until now is great, the pill helps me to relax and calm, I was like very anxious all the time. What I like is that the pill does not make me feel sleepy, I feel much better.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by JNoonie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took Paxil for 5 years for severe panic attacks and anxiety. I got to the point where I could barely leave the house without anxiety. I was on 20 mg once a day and it worked wonders for me. I felt "normal" for the first time in years. HOWEVER... I gained 50 lbs. I decided to get off and weaned myself very slowly but still had withdrawal symptoms: brain zaps, severe headaches, dizzy, restless, faint, weak and the list goes on. I have been off for 5 months now and still have symptoms.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Really worked for me, paroxetine definitely took the edge off and lessened anxiety symptoms. Would still have benzodiazepine as needed but this was 1-2 per month. Great antidepressant for anxiety & panic disorder.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Anxiety16 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil is very effective. I struggled with anxiety for a year and Paxil is the only thing that helped.

May 16, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I started Paxil after being off antidepressants for a couple of months for bad anxiety and depression. This medication made me feel like a million bucks within the first couple of weeks. I was able to get up on time, didn't feel tired, and was exceedingly happy. Unfortunately, I had to get off of it because it caused bad Restless Leg Syndrome for me.

May 12, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Chihuahuamama (taken for less than 1 month):

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: I've only been on it for a week, but before taking the medicine, I was up at least 3 times per night changing clothes due to being drenched from night sweats (very disruptive to sleep patterns). Since starting this medicine I have not had one episode of night sweats! Hope it last, it will be a life changer if it does!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Craig_29:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: It really works wonders. I've been on it for almost a week and I'm just so calm and chilled. My anxiety started getting really, really bad. To the point where I'd cry over nothing almost. I'd sit and stress over the most trivial matters, but in my mind they were huge and irreparable. I'd stopped eating, it freak out on my own etc. Being social became a huge issue and rationalizing that everything would be okay didn't work anymore. Eventually I bit the bullet and saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really been an absolute blessing.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Great medicine. I suffer minor depression and anxiety. Have my whole life. I been taking this almost 2 years. If you want to stop taking this medicine, lean off it really slow. I'm taking 20mg in the morning and at night.

May 10, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by quackers 2:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Paxil for about the past four years. It helps stabilize my depression, which I've had for many years. It doesn't make me happy, but at least I can function and feel like a normal person. It is one of two medications that have helped me at all (the other being Celexa, but that one made me gain extreme weight). The only negative thing is that I gained some weight months after taking it. Despite a few extra pounds, I'll keep taking it.

April 25, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Jennifer SS:

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: I have been taking Brisdelle for two weeks now, but had to stop taking it due to the unacceptable side effects. It worked like a charm on my hot flashes, reducing them from at least 12-15 times in a 24 hour period (with night sweats) to only 1 per day. However, I found it impossible to sleep, I could not keep my hands and feet still, I had congestion so bad that I thought I had a sinus infection and also suffered blurred vision. I tried taking it in the morning instead of at night, but it made no difference to my insomnia. I have, therefore, discontinued it altogether.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by Stressed Momma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I experienced severe postpartum depression after my twins were born, actually it started after I stopped breastfeeding them. My hormones were all over the place. I was sleep deprived and suicidal. Paxil worked great on my depression, but I had negative side effects. First of all, it really flattened my emotional response. Nothing much upset me, but nothing made me excited either. I had zero sex drive and could not achieve orgasm at all. I also gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Also, I had trouble falling asleep. I switched to Wellbutrin, and actually lost weight. I would still have difficulty coping some days, but it was manageable, and no negative side effects.

April 11, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by BrookeC70:

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: I got awful leg cramps and headaches. Did not help with hot flashes either.

April 9, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by Bunker2butch:

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: Been taking for three weeks. It has reduced the number of hot flashes from 8-10 a day down to 2-4. Not great results but better. I was hoping for a occasional hot flash, bit daily. I will continue taking the medicine for three more weeks to see if the results improve.

April 7, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by m.brown (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Works fast. After 2 hours will make your mind clear. Like you are a different person.

March 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by Aerospace747 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Been taking Paxil 40mg since November 2007, works absolutely fine. Treated my major depression without any complications, did not affect my sex life, at first its hard to have an orgasm, but over time, its as fast as you want them. Medication however did cause some minor hair thinning and hair loss in my front head area, treating it with Minoxidil 2.5mg once a day. Otherwise medication works absolutely great for major depression mostly. Doctors have advised that its hard to get off this medication on your own, do not attempt to discontinue the medication on your own once you've been on it for a long period, consult with your doctor.

March 21, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by PanicednotManic (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have taken Paxil on and off my entire adult life. I have always stuck to a low dose at 10MG a day. I do not have depression, I am just a very sensitive especially in times of high stress, and panic attacks start to take over my life. I had to put my degree on hold, I missed out on vacations with my family, and my professional life suffered as well. Paxil calms my nerves. It keeps me in check so I don't freak out in times of stress. The side effects do exist, but keeping a low dose helps. My libido is affected a bit, I do get dizzy from time to time, and I also have dry mouth. At 10mg a day, once I feel like I am in control again (usually 8 months to a year of being on the medicine) I can stop without any of the bad withdrawals.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by TaraB_B:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Started on Effexor. Lost my mind. Was put on Celexa (20mg) and lived my life. Things were okay. I had anxiety still, but it was controlled. Didn't care much about anything. But my anxiety was controlled. That went on for 2 years. Just over a month ago, I saw a new doctor (insurance changed and previous doctor didn't accept it). She pushed me to try Paxil. I replaced my 20mg of Celexa with 10mg of Paxil for 2 days, then went to 20mg Paxil. No issues at all. I am so happy I did it. I am a completely different person. When I say anxiety was controlled on Celexa, I'll tell you I have NO anxiety on Paxil. I haven't thought about it at all. I leave, drive, hang out with my friends, go do everything that not even Celexa allowed me to do.

March 13, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by RachRach24:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Took this for almost a year, helped with my panic attacks but made me severely depressed and unstable. DID NOT do well for me. Switched to Zoloft and Abilify and was total 180 turn- should have switched a long time ago.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by EmilioEstavas (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My entire life since a young child I've been fighting post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression. I didn't even know it until I was about 22. I was in a very bad car accident and it changed my life and worsened my anxiety. My panic attacks were so bad I'd be just sobbing and screaming and crying and freaking out in waves throughout the whole day. I finally sucked up my pride and admitted something was wrong and I needed to see a Doctor. I went and he immediately put me on 20 mg dose. It was great I did calm down quite a bit and when I'd have flashbacks it came without panic attacks. It's been a year and I've hit the poop-out. I was at 40mg 4 months ago and now I'm at 5mg and take Wellbutrin XL for this last month to regain my energy. ITS WORKING.

February 24, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by JDV16:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I had panic attacks since I was about 7 years old when I was hospitalized with rheumatic fever. I was left in the hospital to long in a extremely high fever in one of hospitals in Europe... Because of that the bacteria spread to my heart with resulted with heart muscle infection and effected aortic valve. I almost died. Was hospitalized for three months. This happened on Monday. I was scared Mondays. Every Monday was getting panic attack which started with very fast heart beating. It actually felt like I was getting heart attack. Blurry vision. Very hard to live with such symptoms. I am taking Paxil 20 mg for 16 years now. I can live normal life! Get help. Don't suffer, go to your doctor.

February 20, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by D Tex (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil helped me get my life and emotions back on track after depression linked to a divorce. I had been feeling more down than ever before, and couldn't shake it despite every effort through talk counseling, relaxation, and exercise. For the first 3-4 weeks, initially at 10 mg and then at 20 mg, I felt that Paxil was having no effect on me. But as it kicked in, I felt happier, more myself, and more alive than in years, sustained now for 3 months. It's been a very natural feeling, as if a fog has lifted rather than any medicated fakeness. Only side effect has been gaining 15 pounds (after losing 10 pounds from depression), even while training for and running a half-marathon. No difficulty cutting dosage to 15mg, and will soon cut to 10mg.

February 20, 2014 1:00 AM