User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 111 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 424 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by RachRach24:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Took this for almost a year, helped with my panic attacks but made me severely depressed and unstable. DID NOT do well for me. Switched to Zoloft and Abilify and was total 180 turn- should have switched a long time ago.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by EmilioEstavas (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My entire life since a young child I've been fighting post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression. I didn't even know it until I was about 22. I was in a very bad car accident and it changed my life and worsened my anxiety. My panic attacks were so bad I'd be just sobbing and screaming and crying and freaking out in waves throughout the whole day. I finally sucked up my pride and admitted something was wrong and I needed to see a Doctor. I went and he immediately put me on 20 mg dose. It was great I did calm down quite a bit and when I'd have flashbacks it came without panic attacks. It's been a year and I've hit the poop-out. I was at 40mg 4 months ago and now I'm at 5mg and take Wellbutrin XL for this last month to regain my energy. ITS WORKING.

February 24, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by JDV16:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I had panic attacks since I was about 7 years old when I was hospitalized with rheumatic fever. I was left in the hospital to long in a extremely high fever in one of hospitals in Europe... Because of that the bacteria spread to my heart with resulted with heart muscle infection and effected aortic valve. I almost died. Was hospitalized for three months. This happened on Monday. I was scared Mondays. Every Monday was getting panic attack which started with very fast heart beating. It actually felt like I was getting heart attack. Blurry vision. Very hard to live with such symptoms. I am taking Paxil 20 mg for 16 years now. I can live normal life! Get help. Don't suffer, go to your doctor.

February 20, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by D Tex (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil helped me get my life and emotions back on track after depression linked to a divorce. I had been feeling more down than ever before, and couldn't shake it despite every effort through talk counseling, relaxation, and exercise. For the first 3-4 weeks, initially at 10 mg and then at 20 mg, I felt that Paxil was having no effect on me. But as it kicked in, I felt happier, more myself, and more alive than in years, sustained now for 3 months. It's been a very natural feeling, as if a fog has lifted rather than any medicated fakeness. Only side effect has been gaining 15 pounds (after losing 10 pounds from depression), even while training for and running a half-marathon. No difficulty cutting dosage to 15mg, and will soon cut to 10mg.

February 20, 2014 1:00 AM

Review by A1990:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: After trying a few medications my psychiatrist put me on Paxil. I felt like it DID help with my anxiety and depression but that came with a price -- drowsiness, huge loss of libido, and horrible withdrawal symptoms. I was always lethargic and never wanted to go out and do anything, but I felt less anxiety and depression. I would literally go 7 days without sex (with my partner of 3 years) because I just didn't feel like it and I could definitely feel the negative toll it was taking on our relationship but luckily he stuck with me. After getting fed up with the intense side effects, I quit cold turkey -- huuuuge mistake. I felt like I had the flu and the brain zaps were never ending.

February 12, 2014 12:03 PM

Review by goldminer (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have depression I suffered for many years in the dark big time. I was too scared to say anything. I finally had to say something. I am a male of course (got to hide those feelings). Things were getting very very bad. I talked to my doctor and a shrink and got me on 20 mgs of Paxil 15 years ago and it really does help with the hell I felt within for years. Please be patient. Hang in there one day at a time if I can do it you can too. I was really bad from what docs say. It takes time to adjust to the medicine but well worth it. Drinking and not taking reasonable care of yourself won't help at all. Live a cleaner life does make a difference. No guilt. The side effects are for me constipation and a bit of brain fog.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by wesskid:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I've used Paxil when I was in my 20's for depression and anxiety. Paxil worked great for me. Side effects were loss of appetite for 2 weeks and taking long to ejaculate which I loved this side effect. Through the years I have been on and off Paxil with it working for me every time but I notice as I got into my 30's it made me very drowsy when taking it. Of all my time of taking Paxil I have never taken it for more than 3 months. I experience the brain zaps once only when I used it for the 1st time. Never had a problem going off Paxil since that 1st time. I would recommend Paxil for depression and definitely anxiety. However, the last time I took it in my 40's it was causing me stomach problem and made my throat feel scratchy all the time.

February 2, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Punkey:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I felt so much less anxious initially, so foolishly, and with doctors encouragement, I stayed on Paxil for 3-4 years. Two months ago, I started to ween myself off this medicine very slowly. I have never felt so bad in my 72 years of life. At first, I felt it must be the flu though I'd had a flu shot in November of last year (13). The withdrawal symptoms of nausea, vomiting, hot flashes. Not thinking clearly, fatigue, extremely vivid and frightening dreams, dizziness, and depression lasted 5-6 days. My doctor recommended that I go back on Paxil at half a tablet initially, and then a whole tablet after a week. So it has been two weeks now of my taking a 40mg. Dose each evening. I tried documenting my terrible experience.

January 31, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by Happy on tennessee:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I started Paxil 37.5 mg ER. 2 weeks ago! I have never felt this good.

January 29, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by JohnHalo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I took Paxil for about 4 years. It was truly a life saver from the horrible depression I suffer from. However, after about 4 years it quit working, and my doc moved me to Bupropion. Paxil was terrible about causing me to randomly fall asleep. I had to pull off the road and nap MANY times. Also, almost no sex life while taking it.

January 28, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by RebornAGAIN:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Paxil CR for a few months. My doctor and I tried many many things. I think an entire year of my life was spent on playing with medications and dosages. I am currently taking 37.5 + 12.5 and have been for a while now. I haven't felt this "steady" in years. I can leave my apartment feeling "Free" now. I used to be borderline agoraphobic. I still have a long way to go but Paxil has done NOTHING but GOOD for me. Good Luck!

January 22, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Teenage Depression (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I began taking Paxil in addition to Celexa two years ago when I was 16. It is not bad--no stomach aches, weight gain, or horrible headaches--but I have noticed the total disappearance of my sex drive. Totally gone. This might be because of the Celexa as well. Not sure. I was taking 40mg Celexa, 20mg Paxil, 1 mg Ativan, and occasionally trazodone or doxepine to sleep, for a while and when I cut my dosage in half over the summer, I was a mess. Constant migraines and irritability. So I suggest that if you use Paxil, be careful to come off it slowly.

January 21, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by Pebzz:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My journey started around 17yrs ago when pregnant I suffered an episode and was put in hospital as my son was due, they gave me 150mg straight off of clomipramine, you can imagine how comatosed I was. Over the next few years I had many crashes on this drug, then about 7 years ago a dr prescribed Paxil, best thing could ever have happened, the positives out weigh the negatives with the side effects, I'm on 15mg would love to reduce again one day, but I'm happy to be stable and of sound mind.

January 20, 2014 4:32 AM

Review by Fluffybunny:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 10:02 PM

Review by Genesis667:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by Whalla (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on Paxil for two weeks and so far nothing. I take 10 mg in morning and another 12 hours later. I hope it kicks in soon. My anxiety has topped out causing my depression to increase. I have lost my appetite, lost 14 lbs. Seeing a psychologist in a week. I'm a mess.

January 3, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by fadedgenes (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have had a good experience with Paxil thus far, and I wanted to put it out there because I think it's usually the bad experiences that prompt folks to write these reviews! I'd tried other SSRIs (Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa), with bad results, so I was hesitant. I started on 10 mg/day for two weeks then went to 20mg. At first I didn't notice much, but by the third week my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety were greatly quelled. I feel a general sense of well-being and satisfaction with life, yet I'm still productive/creative/ME. No ill side effects whatsoever. I hear the withdrawal is a bear, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but, so far so good.

December 30, 2013 10:25 AM

Review by gatorarea:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Started off with a low dosage about 18 months ago now I am on 60 mg a day. Feeling a lot better now..

December 30, 2013 12:23 AM

Review by cranky1234 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is good medication when it kicks in, side effects for me are nausea, upset stomach but with time it goes away.

December 19, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by msdeby (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Paxil for several years. It helps in so many ways. To those that get sleepy ... try taking it at bedtime.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Debbie Harrell (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I was a little afraid to use the medicine. I read alot about it. Just starting paroxetine. Been taking the medicine for two days. I already notice the difficance with my hot flashes and night sweats. I use to throw the covers on and off, but now I keep the covers on and I am not as hot any more. I will continue to use it.

November 24, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by IrishKat:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2013 7:56 AM

Review by Jamielynn84:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This is my second time taking Paxil. For me, it is the only medication that has been effective in treating my anxiety. I've taken just about every medication for anxiety over the past 10 years. In my early 20s, I took Paxil for about 6 months and experienced sexual side effects but only gained about 5lbs. It was horrible to come off of Paxil and I experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea. I am currently 29 and I started taking Paxil again about 5 months ago due to increased anxiety. While it has been effective in helping me to lead a normal life with minimal anxiety, it has caused horrible weight gain. I gained 15lbs in the past 3 months which is a lot for my petite frame at 5.1'. Due to the weight gain I am currently attempting stop

November 17, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck.

November 15, 2013 8:37 AM

Review by bryan johnson (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me. Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I%u2019m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, I'm a new person.

November 12, 2013 7:46 AM