User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 110 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 412 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by Pebzz:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My journey started around 17yrs ago when pregnant I suffered an episode and was put in hospital as my son was due, they gave me 150mg straight off of clomipramine, you can imagine how comatosed I was. Over the next few years I had many crashes on this drug, then about 7 years ago a dr prescribed Paxil, best thing could ever have happened, the positives out weigh the negatives with the side effects, I'm on 15mg would love to reduce again one day, but I'm happy to be stable and of sound mind.

January 20, 2014 4:32 AM

Review by Fluffybunny:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well.

January 16, 2014 10:02 PM

Review by Genesis667:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!

January 15, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by Whalla (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on Paxil for two weeks and so far nothing. I take 10 mg in morning and another 12 hours later. I hope it kicks in soon. My anxiety has topped out causing my depression to increase. I have lost my appetite, lost 14 lbs. Seeing a psychologist in a week. I'm a mess.

January 3, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by fadedgenes (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have had a good experience with Paxil thus far, and I wanted to put it out there because I think it's usually the bad experiences that prompt folks to write these reviews! I'd tried other SSRIs (Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa), with bad results, so I was hesitant. I started on 10 mg/day for two weeks then went to 20mg. At first I didn't notice much, but by the third week my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety were greatly quelled. I feel a general sense of well-being and satisfaction with life, yet I'm still productive/creative/ME. No ill side effects whatsoever. I hear the withdrawal is a bear, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but, so far so good.

December 30, 2013 10:25 AM

Review by gatorarea:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Started off with a low dosage about 18 months ago now I am on 60 mg a day. Feeling a lot better now..

December 30, 2013 12:23 AM

Review by cranky1234 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is good medication when it kicks in, side effects for me are nausea, upset stomach but with time it goes away.

December 19, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by msdeby (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Paxil for several years. It helps in so many ways. To those that get sleepy ... try taking it at bedtime.

December 13, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Debbie Harrell (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I was a little afraid to use the medicine. I read alot about it. Just starting paroxetine. Been taking the medicine for two days. I already notice the difficance with my hot flashes and night sweats. I use to throw the covers on and off, but now I keep the covers on and I am not as hot any more. I will continue to use it.

November 24, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by IrishKat:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2013 7:56 AM

Review by Jamielynn84:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This is my second time taking Paxil. For me, it is the only medication that has been effective in treating my anxiety. I've taken just about every medication for anxiety over the past 10 years. In my early 20s, I took Paxil for about 6 months and experienced sexual side effects but only gained about 5lbs. It was horrible to come off of Paxil and I experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea. I am currently 29 and I started taking Paxil again about 5 months ago due to increased anxiety. While it has been effective in helping me to lead a normal life with minimal anxiety, it has caused horrible weight gain. I gained 15lbs in the past 3 months which is a lot for my petite frame at 5.1'. Due to the weight gain I am currently attempting stop

November 17, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck.

November 15, 2013 8:37 AM

Review by bryan johnson (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me. Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I%u2019m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, I'm a new person.

November 12, 2013 7:46 AM

Review by jbat2007 (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My body was wrecked with anxiety and depression. I thought I was going to lose my mind .Five days days on paxil and I'm a new person

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by anxious11111:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Had severe panic attacks and agoraphobia out of nowhere. P doc put me on paxil. Really rough start up symptoms. Dizzy, SUPER spacey, lethargic, bad sweats. After a week or two at 30 mg I stabilized. Anxiety was a bit better, but still pretty bad. Eventually went off it because I was so lethargic and spacey. Felt depressed because I was such a zombie and didn't get excited or wanted to do anything.

November 1, 2013 8:44 PM

Review by Marc love:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, etc. Many of the symptoms overlap and crossover into each other and others as well. Depression is found in each condition, and I find for myself that depression is by far the most debilitating condition of all. I first tried Paxil 12 years ago for depression and anxiety. The Paxil worked great. The side effects included a little nausea (which is basically eliminated by eating something with or soon after taking the med) and some sexual issues (which I believe can be negotiated after you get used to the Paxil). I quit taking it when I switched insurance and because of the perceived stigma I had with taking anything for conditions I didn't want to even acknowledge. Now I'm back on it and will keep it up!

October 29, 2013 4:13 PM

Review by ash ren (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!

October 24, 2013 8:30 AM

Review by Nhcoffeegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on Paxil now for 10 months, I am on a high dose 40mg. However it is working wonders for me. I love how I feel, and my anxiety is a lot lower than it use to be, and I feel like I can operate in a normal fashion be it at work or out in a social situation. The draw back, is do not run out of your prescription, always be on top of it. I ran out of it, and the withdrawal side effects are not fun, for me I got really depressed and crying, and the headaches are horrible. I realize I will be on this prescription for a very long time. But for those who may not be, make sure you listen to your Dr. when getting off of it. It is not fun when not in your system. Again, Love love how I feel..

October 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!

October 15, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have taken Paxil for years, my insurance company stopped paying for it, and the pharmacy put me on the generic, the worst thing that could have happened in three days I was an hysterical wreck (I was taking the generic). I started thinking of suicide. Someone else pointed out above something very important, if you miss a couple of days the side effects (withdrawal) is awful, I was never so sick in my life. If you can take the generic, great otherwise it is very very expensive, and NEVER forget to take it.

October 15, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by Krane (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I am almost done w 4th week of 10mg and I feel so much calmer. Before I couldn't look at my husband without scowling at him. Anxiety and anger hit me hard in this economy. And I look back and see how irrational I was... And what a great man for putting up me. I even look at my children in a better light. I have been one of those people who has never wanted to be "one of them pill poppers", but at 36 I can see myself as me again and am thankful for Paxil. It took a bit over 2 weeks to kick into me! I realized it was working when for days the normal little things that bugged me no longer angered me or created anxiety. I breathe easier.

September 29, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by GJ72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been dealing with anxiety all my life. I thought that was how everyone lived. Last year I had a debilitating episode of anxiety and finally sought help. After hearing my history the doctors wanted me to get on SSRI's asap. I resisted at first due to fears, but eventually relented. Started with 20mg a day of Paxil, was on that does for three months, and I still had some anxiety. Went up to 30mg and after the new dose kicked in, I have never felt better. It has been a year at 30mg's and my anxiety is gone, not just health anxiety but social anxiety, money anxiety. My mind finally works the way it was meant to and I owe it all to Paxil.

September 23, 2013 2:36 PM

Review by Happytochat (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have just weaned myself off, it has taken me about 2 months. Firstly I cut down to half a tablet for a month then half every other day. The side effects aren't great I felt a lot of vertigo, dizziness and headaches, but finally nearly 2 weeks and I am feeling great! I never in my life thought I would need tablets but sometimes we need a little help. Paroxetine has helped me get back to me. I tell people now its OK to ask for help. I am so glad that I did ask and have tried and now if I need them again in life I wouldn't hesitate.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 5:42 PM

Review by DW Faith (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: I was hesitant to take an antidepressant, but glad I did. Thought the initial dose was TOO strong, made me a walking zombie, I cut it in half and took it just prior to bed. My hot flashes have gone from one an hour to only a couple a day. Night sweats have all but gone. It did take about a week after I cut the dose, but saw a gradual reduction in frequency, duration, and strength almost immediately. Worst side effect is a severe dry mouth, but I've always needed to drink more and the Biotene products have also worked well for this minor irritation (...compared to the hot flashes which had not reduced over the last five years. Thought this was supposed to go away after a while). Luv this medicine.

September 6, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by Man 47yrs old (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Paxil for about 15-16 yrs now. I have probably had social anxiety problems since grade school. It just got worse. Paxil is a good medicine for me but not sure at this point that 30 to 20 mg was a good weaning action. My social anxiety in AA has now increased due to decrease in medicine. When I look at the "good" Paxil has done, it far outweighs the "bad". Having social anxiety is something that can isolate a person. I am not perfect in that regard, but this medicine has definitely been a positive thing in my life. It's not perfect, as I have to work on myself constantly, but it has helped me!

August 29, 2013 4:27 PM