User Reviews for Oxymorphone

Also known as: Numorphan, Numorphan HCl, Opana, Opana ER

Learn more about Oxymorphone.

Pain 178 reviews 1070 medications

8.2
Summary of Oxymorphone reviews 178 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Oxymorphone

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Insurance required me to use Opana ER crush-resistant version! Takes about 2 hrs. to take effect so I take hydrocodone/acetaminophen 10/325 with 1 Opana upon waking and together they last about 8 hours NEVER 12 hours! then take 1 hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 4 pm then another hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 9 pm then 1 Opana at 11 pm. I tried using Opana alone but couldn't stand waiting IN PAIN for 2 hours before I could feel any relief! Regular Oxycontin DID provide 12 hour relief without needing any vicodin for "breakthrough pain" but even with insurance it would cost $100/month. Pain level with Opana AND vicodin still at about 5 but chronic pain after FIVE hip replacement surgeries - 2 on left hip, 3 on right, since 2008!!"

karenhp May 2, 2016

For Pain: "In addition to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I suffer from constant pain in my hip, femur and knee, L-4,5 disk herniations, spinal stenosis, spondylosis to start. I was thrown from a car as a passenger without seatbealts fracturing my hip, femur and my right foot pointed South. My experience taking Oxymorphone is an excellent one. I recommend it to anyone seriously looking for pain relief. I take 30 mg Oxymorphone ER X 2, Ketamine Hcl(compounded for $125 a month) 10 mg X 3 and Oxycodone 30 mg X 4 for Bt pain. Oxymorphone is the best ER opioid for 9-10 hour relief I have taken. Tried them all. If looking for pain relief, Oxymorphone is the best by a mile, hydromorphone is a distant second."

stockrunner (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2016

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "After being on 80 mg of OxyContin 3 times a day I wasn't getting the pain relief. I went thru breakthroughs and my insurance would only cover generic oxy. Saw a new pain doc and the nurse practitioner switched me to Opana, only 30 mg twice a day. My breakthrough meds stay locked up unless I'm doing something special. I always take Opana with food (instructions say take on an empty stomach) as I found taking taking it with food makes it last longer. Due to insurance I had to switch tot 15 mg, 2 tabs, twice a day. I found this give me some flexibility. If I'm having a tough day I may take one around 5 pm and then only one at bedtime. Medicare sucks though. I hit the gap about 6 months ago and found out I have to pay 4,800+ til it's done."

Huskylover (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "neuropathy"

bzzzaaabbb (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Changed my life! I was on norco for 10+ yrs and it stopped working. I started the generic Opana and it makes my pain tolerable. I'm not sure but I am retaining a lot of fluid. This is the only thing I am concerned about."

MBROWN3224 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I've been on oxymorphone for 10 years. My dr. Just put me on Opana 40mg instead, it's been 3 days and I'm going through withdrawals. I have gastropathy which slows down your digestive system. Seems my pain dr. Doesn't care. I had the test a couple years ago that checks to see if your on the right medications. It showed that the oxymophone and roxicodone was being processed and was the right medication for me. A couple of months ago they wanted to put me on morphine patch. And I said no I think that he is being paid to write opana scripts all of a sudden. Which to me is BS! I hate the gel opana doesn't digest properly. My insurance prefer generic cause it's cheaper I prefer cause it took care of my pain, whereas Opana doesn't"

Zbadazz February 19, 2016

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "This prescription is extremely expensive, with my insurance its $291.00, my Doc gave me a discount card and the pharmacist still said the cost would be $291.00. What's the purpose of the discount card. Can anyone help me with any information on how I can reduce the cost of this prescription ?"

Stread313 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Opana 20mg doesn't take away all the neck & back pain but does about 90% so I can function. However also for first time in my life gives me headaches, hot flashes, warm blooded 4-5 of 7 days a wk & slightly edgey/difficulty with stress/adversity sometimes too."

Prodical2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I have been on Opana Er 15mgs for 3yrs now. Was diagnosed with a herniated disc with an annular fissure at L3,4 and 5. Also have degenerative disc disorder, spinal stenosis, plus more back problems and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. All I can say is the Opana ER crush resistant are junk. I was prescribed Oxymorphone Hydrochloride ER 15mg a green pill, the pill form was a miracle for me I could get up and go to work 12-16hrs and they last with hardly taking a Percocet for breakthrough pain had my life back with the generic. The name brand Opana ER are junk. I always have an empty stomach when I take and not even an hr later my stomach is upset and always have diarrhea."

Alex39 January 14, 2016

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Let me start by saying this medication is awesome! I have MS, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Chronic Joint Pain, lipomas pain, degenerated disks and lots more and I have tried literally every ER pain med on the market and not one of them seem to do half as much as this medication. I take Dilaudid 8mg for breakthrough pain with it after a few hours and they both are like brother and sister, works so well together. Now the only thing with this medication is that it is very expensive as the brand but some places do carry it in generic. I end up paying $40 a month with insurance, without insurance its near $1200. Hopefully when I get on medicaid they will cover it but again it works (ER) wonders. If you can afford it give it a shot"

JayTheJedi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Pain: "I began taking pain meds on a 12 hr basis with prn oxycodone for breakthrough pain in 1996. We started with oxycontin ER, which has actually been the most effective, although very shortly we discovered I am a rapid metabolizer and it had to be increased to every 8 hrs. Then that doc retired. The new one refused to give it to her pts, so I went thru a different pain med about every 3yrs....until I hit the jackpot w Opana! It took minor juggling the 1st 3 months, but for 5yrs I have taken it or the generic & had no side effects & haven't needed a dose increase! As a retired RN, PhD, I will suggest you ask your doc do genetic screening focusing on one's body's ability to take specific drugs successfully. "

bjal January 12, 2016

For Pain: "I've been taking generic Opana (Oxymorphone) for three months to treat chronic pain from a forklift accident 30 years ago. I've had 41 surgeries on my Left leg, 3 on my shoulder, an appendectomy and 1 on my Right knee to remove torn meniscus. I FINALLY have a great pain management doctor who doesn't treat me like an addict. I'm very honest with her about how much pain meds I take and usually bring her the bottle so she can see for herself exactly how much I'm taking. Two weeks ago she increased my dosage from 5mg x 2 daily to 5mg/3 x daily. I have not experienced the pain relief I was hoping for. But I have had one very unwelcome surprise... my gastric motility has been GREATLY affected (constipation!) If you already have this problem, look out."

StlCardsFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I just got out of the hospital and I'm in excruciating pain. The surgeon took out my hip implants and broke my femur . I have antibiotic spacers and balls put in. I was on a baseline of fentanyl plus 100 mcg every 6 minutes via PCA on top of a 250 mcg patch and 45 mg oxycodone every 3 hours and 40 mgs of Oxycontin every 8 hours. Also, Ketamine spray every 2 hours. I was released with in adequate medication and my PM doc put me on 30 mg of Opana every 3 hours."

jenninext October 14, 2015

For Pain: "Best painkiller available. Fewest side-effects, subtle onset (no perceived "rush"), least mental or physical impairment, easiest of any opioid/opiate for titration and reduction once painful condition improves. The newer "crush-resistant" formula gives me a headache and stomach pain, and is often passed completely intact in stool."

Bergerman!? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2015

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I just began this drug yesterday, and considering that I have been under pain management for well over 10 years with oxycodone and oxycontin? I am having a VERY difficult time with the side effects of this medication. I will be reporting this to my Dr. IMMEDIATELY today, when his office opens. I have been unable to sleep the entire night, and have ONLY had 2 pills 12 hrs apart! I am going to ER as I cannot continue feeling this way..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I have had negative experiences with opana ER 30 mg / and 10 mg IR . I have had mostly all of the side effects & my doctor won't listen to me"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2015

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I started this med after 8 yrs of methadone for chronic widespread pain. Was originally started out with a very low dose of 10mg 2X daily and it didn't seem to help at all. Was raised to 40 mg and for some strange reason after not feeling as though it was helping and going to 3X a day I was given the name brand instead of the genetic and within 24 hrs I noticed a measurable difference. Now my insurance won't pay for the name brand and although in the same dose, 40 mg 3X daily I feel like I've been given a placebo. The name brand works wonderfully as long as I take an instant release med with it but if I don't it is not effective enough to let me sleep without tossing and turning. I am taking a total of 120 mg per day."

Shotale August 8, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Been taking Opana for 15 months now and couldn't be happier. Diagnosed with DDD in my L-4, L-5, S-1. scoliosis, and fibromyalgia 3 years ago. My PM doctor put me on MS Contin 60 mg 2xs a day which I had an allergic reaction to%u2026 My feet and legs swelled up. He then put me on a fentanyl patch 75mcg, which my body did not tolerate, I ended up getting pains down my neck and severe nausea. A guy ran a red light and T-boned my side of the car. In the hospital they gave me dilauded for pain, which completely took my pain away. My doctor decided at that point to put me on EXALGO 12.5mg 1x a day. Worked better than anything! Insurance stopped covering it, GAHH. Put me on Opana ER 20 2x a day and IR 3x a day. Amazing! No side effects!!!"

Lorioreo August 7, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I am a chronic pain patient and have tried dozens of medications for my pain. Opana works wonders through an IV when I'm in excruciating pain, but the oral pills just don't help as much. My pain doctor switched me from Oxycodone 4 times a day to Opana 3 times a day and it didn't touch my pain. I did some research and it only absorbs 10% orally. It's good as an IV or injection medication but not as much as an oral pill"

Anderson94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Was very disappointed with the opana 10E round peach pill. They did not help my pain at all. I have taken a 40 mg. before and they worked wonders. I took over my doctors dosage instructions after a while because it was not helping and I was in so much pain after my surgery. I ended up taking 5 within an hour and was still in pain and sick as a dog. So I just stopped taking them all together as they are very addictive and did NOT wont any addictions especially sense they were useless. Very DISAPPOINTED!"

BlakeNAlan (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "My doctor Currently has me on Opana ER 5mg every 12 hours and let me tell you it's a God send. I was taking 4 or 7 Norco 10mg a day every 4 hours because I was always in so much pain now since my doctor switched me from Norco to Opana ER the results have been amazing I no longer have pain constantly and whenever I walk a long way I still sometimes have pain but on a scale of 1-10 the pain is only a 2. I'm so thankful for this medicine because now I'm no longer in pain and another good thing about this medication is I don't have any side effects nor do I get that fuzzy feeling that other opioids give you . I highly recommend anyone who has chronic severe lower back pain to talk with your doctor about switching to Opana ER."

austin75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

For Pain: "Opana is the Most effective of all the opiates I have taken for my osteoarthritis. What used to make my life a living hell is now under control. That's not to say that I don't have bad days, but compared to all the other meds I've been prescribed, Opana definitely ranks #1. It took a few weeks for me to feel a positive effect, but I'm glad I suck with it. It's the best."

katychicago (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2015

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I find this Medication very difficult to rate due to the fact that Effectiveness is not able to be judged until you have established a therapeutic level which can ultimately take as long as a week or so! I am not sure if I am being titrated properly or not. I suffer with an extremely severe case of Rheumatoid Arthritis and with that said anyone who shares the same diagnosis will agree that "No Medication no matter in what amount can bring you even 75% relief''. I am taking 1 10mg. Opana ER 3 times a day! It is my understanding that 2 per day is the normal dosage however through a mixup at an appointment with my Pain Mgmt. Clinic I saw a different Practicioner and she messed up my original regiment of 2 30mg. I am on the fence w/this Drug!"

slloyd123z May 23, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Very effective as I can't use NSAIDS and am allergic to many other drugs."

Jane Nita April 27, 2015

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Male, mid 30's, 2 herniated lumbar discs, 3 pinched nerves, bone spur, stenosis.. I have been on pain meds for the last 10 years, and Opana is by far the most effective paid med I've ever tried and believe me I've been on everything.. Most recently I was on OxyContin 20mg 1x a day and Oxycodone IR 20mg 5x a day.. The problem with Oxycodone is that it has a very low half life of 3-4 hours and is very addictive because of the short duration of action you find yourself "chasing the pain".. I suggested Opana to my PM doctor as I heard good things about it, best pain relief I've had in years! I take Opana ER 40mg 2x a day and Opana IR 10mg 2x a day PRN for breakthrough pain.. This med is a wonder drug for those in 24/7 chronic pain!"

Alfredozoo (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2015