User Reviews for Oxycodone

Also known as: Dazidox, Endocodone, ETH-Oxydose, M-Oxy, Oxecta, OxyContin, Oxydose, Oxyfast, OxyIR, Percolone, Roxicodone, Roxicodone Intensol

Learn more about Oxycodone.

Oxycodone review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1832 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Oxycodone to treat Pain

Review by thumperuk:

I had to go onto Oxycodone as I became allergic to buprenorphine patches & reached the limit of how much morphine I could tolerate. With Oxycodone my pain relief is better than morphine, the migraines are still a problem but less 'sharp' than when I took morphine. As I live in England I am able to take oxycodone as an extended release drug called 'Targinact'. It is a combination of oxycodone but also naloxone, which elimintes the biggest problem with opiates.....constipation. Targinact works amazingly well - I can take oxycodone in high doses but with no constipation. It is a shame that it isn't available in the US. Although it is more expensive than oxycodone, all my prescriptions are free thanks to our wonderful healthcare system.

December 16, 2010 10:05 AM

OxyContin (oxycodone): 0016unregistered: Posted about how the Oxycontin doesn't work as well as it used to. I agree. The abusers have caused so many problems for us legitimate users, in real, horrible pain that the DEA has directed the manufacturers to do something, I don't know what, (I heard it on the radio, don't remember the details) to prevent abuse. I use 40mg 3x day, and, about, say, 18 months ago I detected a very noticeable reduction in effectiveness -- and it is not tolerance. It happened too quickly. I will spare you the details of my injury, suffice it to say I am confined to a wheelchair after being T-boned by a stone cold sober driver ran a red light.

December 14, 2010 8:48 AM

Review by The Great Southern CFH:

I have had severe AS/RA (Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis) since I was 7 Years old. I am 25 now. I have been on Oxycodone 30 mg 6x daily and Embeda 60 mg 2 x daily and used with my Enbrel I can do most things I should be able to do normally.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2010 7:32 AM

Review by 0016:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I have been on 80mg Oxycontin for five years. I have had four major back surgeries in the past four years. The Oxycontin has helped me lead as normal life as possible, until they changed them. They don't work even near as they used to. Now my pain really has jumped from a five to a possible eight on the doctor's pain scale.

December 1, 2010 4:53 PM

Review by mrdoolin:

I remember when my insurance company covered OxyContin. That drug was EXTREMELY effective at controlling my chronic pain. This oxycodone hcl (generic) seems to be FAR less effective, even when taking the same amount of milligrams per day.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2010 7:38 PM

Review by charleshold:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I have peripheral neuropathy and pain throughout my body. I have been on Norco 350/7 mg 6 x day and 20 mg. Oxycontin 3 times a day. Most days it helps the pain tremendously. There are days that nothing much helps though. Luckily that is not that common. My pain management Doctor has been good working with me and getting me the help I need. Overall Oxycontin has helped my quality of life.

November 10, 2010 1:51 PM

Review by Suffering Mother of 2:

I have had surgery for degenerative disc disease on my lower back three years ago. I had been taking Lortab, 7.5/500 for four years and it wasn't working for me anymore. Then my back pain got worse. Further tests show that I have degenerative disc disease on another part of my back, scoliosis, arthritis and a herniated disc. My doctor prescribed Oxycontin 20 mg every 12 hours, with the Lortab for breakthrough pain. It has saved my life. I no longer lie in bed trying to convince my body to get moving. I hate that there is so much stigma and abuse of this medication, because for those who truly need it, it's a life saver! Now, when my daughter has a violin recital or my son has a football game, I can actually go and watch them!

November 9, 2010 6:19 PM

Review by Titaniumgal:

When used properly and appropriately and for the purpose prescribed this medicine is extremely effective. I have very intense chronic back pain following two failed surgeries and after trying many different medicines to help with the pain (as well as non-drug therapies) oxycodone is the only medicine that allows me to have even close to a decent quality of life.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2010 10:07 PM

Review by oxyaaron:

Works better for pain than anything I've tried.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2010 9:29 PM

Review by llawen:

OxyContin (oxycodone): Five years ago, I was close to suicidal with pain and found a superb pain management doctor.at the Beth Israel Pain & Palliative Care Unit in NYC. I HIGHLY recommend them. Recently, I began to feel pain again of the acute variety (am always in some chronic pain), Said to my husband, "it is as if this drug is not working at all". Went today for my regular two month check-up and told my doctor. He nodded and told me that MANY of his patients no longer get relief with Oxycontin as the new formula (meant to keep abusers from crushing it) does not work well in ER form. I had not had to use more than the same dose for 5 years, and was in relative comfort, given my disability, and now I have to try a higher dosage or change medication.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2010 8:54 PM

Review by Hez424:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I have been on OxyContin for 8 years now, I have many problems and I am disabled. They've tried me on several medicines before this and nothing worked. I am so sensitive and allergic to a lot of medicines. But then they started me on OxyContin's and it has worked for me up until last month when they changed them. They are not as effective as they once were and now I am suffering because of it.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2010 11:08 PM

OxyContin (oxycodone): Well I have been taking Oxycontin 40mg for 5 years now and it has changed my life until a couple of weeks ago. Now they don't work nearly as good as they did. They put a time release all the way through the pill and it doesn't take the pain completely away now. I hope they change back because this has affected my life a lot!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2010 1:14 PM

Review by cindy 1957:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I was just put on oxycontin yesterday 10 mgs twice a day with norco for break through pain. I was on oxycodone 5mgs 4 times a day. The only thing I don't like is the headache I got this morning and dry mouth, but I will stay with it, because it works.

October 6, 2010 8:28 PM

Review by OriginalOC:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I was very skeptical about this medicine at first. But when I started on it I realized of all the medicines I've tried none worked Like this. My life was destroyed when I a traumatic injury ruined my life. Suicide, depression, whole 9 yards. I tried everything first to no avail. I decided to go the medication route.

October 6, 2010 6:31 PM

Review by C-Jay:

An 80 mg oxycodone ER tablet should be reserved for those who have chronic, long-lasting pain that requires around the clock pain management. This dosage should ONLY be taken by those who have been taking narcotic pain medications for a long period of time and who are what medical professionals call Opiate Tolerant. This really helps take the edge of my pain.

October 4, 2010 7:35 PM

OxyContin (oxycodone): Have been on this medication for about 1 and a half years. Severe neuropathy in both ankles and feet, degenerative disc disease in 2004\, several broken bones over the years from horseback riding. This medicine has given me my life back after suffering with chronic pain for years. Take 120mg of Oxycontin twice a day and 30 mg of oxycodone four times a day for breakthrough pain. Am able to work 12 hour night shifts and get on with my life due to this drug. Without it I would not be able to do anything other than be in misery.

September 24, 2010 11:02 PM

Review by graannygert 71:

I have taken oxycodone for several years and it is the only pain medicine to allow me to get out of bed and function like a healthy person. I would be in bed 24/7 with other people having to take care of me. Oxycodone gives me my independence back.

September 22, 2010 1:26 AM

Review by kleenex-kidd:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I have worked the coal mines all my life. About 5 years ago, I was in a major mine accident. After 7 orthopedic surgeries, I realized I was going to have to live with this horrible pain. It was so bad that the thought of suicide lingered in my mind so often it became my only thought. That was until I went and saw my family doctor. He started me on Vicodin, then Percocet and a list of others. I didn't have much luck with all those other medicines. Finally, he put me on Oxycontin. What a difference it made in my mental health and my physical well being. Now I take the 80 mg three times a day and I can finally live again. I still get horrible breakthrough pain at times but even with that, my life is so much better.

September 16, 2010 4:14 PM

Roxicodone (oxycodone): At first this was a very good pain medication and it helped a lot but due to taking it for a few years the effectiveness is not nearly as good as to when I started taking it. Since so many people are addicted to these things when I had my medicine stolen from me I had withdrawals and it was horrible.

September 16, 2010 11:17 AM

OxyContin (oxycodone): Have suffered chronic knee and lower back pain for 10 years severe osteoarthritis of both knees and have torn and bulging discs, age 42. I am so grateful to the locum who initially prescribed oxycontin 12 months ago (now 20mg x 2) - a prescription for the first time which has lessened the pain and at last improved my quality of life. I was very reluctant to try an 'opiate', and remain on a lower dose by choice. For me the side effects and fear of becoming dependent is far outweighed by the relief provided. All medicines can be abused, and can have side effects - its a fine balance, but genuine chronic pain suffers must not be denied an effective treatment.

September 11, 2010 6:40 PM

Review by KYPHIL:

I've taken many different opiates over the years for chipped bone spurs in neck and multiple abnormalities in my lower back. This medicine is a miracle for me. I rated it a "10" because the last 6 months i've been prescribed it,"i feel no pain at all".

September 10, 2010 9:52 PM

OxyContin (oxycodone): I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis; adenomyosis in my left pelvic muscle; and just recently had 3 cancerous polyps removed from my colon. I am 27 years old and I have undergone 9 surgeries in the past 2 years I have tried every pain medication out there and Oxycontin is the only thing that gives me any relief. I know that I have a long road ahead and will most likely have to increase my dosage in over the years, but thanks to the Oxycontin I am able to get out of bed and do the normal things I need to do to be a successful individual.

September 6, 2010 3:22 PM

Review by VDV:

OxyIR (oxycodone): I'm a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy. I was started on 30mg Oxycodone Immediate Release 3 times a day and methadone 10mg 6 times a day. They have both worked wonders! Recently I developed bad infected foot ulcers and now have a hole on the side of my left foot and open sores/wounds at the bottom of both feet and my doctor upped my dosage to 30mg Oxycodone Immediate Release 6 times a day and Methadone 10mg 9 times a day and with the methadone, the Oxycodone has NO "high" effects. I am so happy my quality of life has raised and I am able to walk almost normally with little to no pain during most of the day. I have gone through the withdrawal by missing 5 days of both medications once and it is bad. Other than that, it is a God send!

September 3, 2010 9:43 AM

Review by roxgirl:

OxyContin (oxycodone): I have Neuropathy in all 4 limbs. I have been on so many pain pills and the only relief I get is from the oxycodone 30mgs - 4 X a day and Oxycontin 40mgs twice a day. If not for Oxycontin. I would not be able to function at all. I couldn't get out of bed. The break-through pain is controlled with the oxycodones. If not for both of these medications I wouldn't have a life. As long as you are not abusing them you are fine. I have a Doctor who helps me and knows how much pain I am in and cannot function without them.

August 30, 2010 11:08 AM

Review by gimmedatOC:

OxyContin (oxycodone): OxyContin has helped me so much to live my life. I have no arms and only one leg from an IED when I was in Afghanistan. I suffer from Phantom limb pain and numerous other problems, but I don't care, because had I not got in the way of the blast then a 2 year old and 3 year old would have died, so I'm fine with how I look. OxyContin has made the pain bearable.

440 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2010 11:54 PM