User Reviews for Oxytrol

Learn more about Oxytrol.

Oxytrol review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Oxytrol to treat Overactive Bladder

Review by Partygirl91 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

All my life I've had to deal with have an overactive bladder it made me to the point where I was 18 and still wetting the bad at night as well as leaking throughout the day. When I first tried this I saw a huge difference, I haven't had any of those problems except for when I keep it on longer than I should. At first my skin was a little irritated by the patch but now it's nothing and easy to take off. I spent 1 day without it on and it really showed me how important it is for me to have it, I felt dirty through out the day and had to pee all the time like always. I am so thankful for this patch it really has helped live with having an over active bladder.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by FNE2008 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I would love to give this medicine a 10. It works great for my overactive bladder, unfortunately the irritation and itching is unbearable and I have to end up changing the patch every couple of days. I am running out of places on my body because the irritation and itching lasts a lot longer than the patch. The medicine works great but can't get past the irritation from the patch.

June 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by Just me? (taken for less than 1 month):

I tried the Oxytrol patch and liked the effect on helping my overactive bladder, but it irritated my skin and caused such itching I couldn't continue it. I tried placing the patch in a variety of places to no avail. I see on this site that it seems to be a common occurrence.

February 6, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by Carmen ann:

The patch worked. However the itching and inflamed skin was not tolerable. I wish I could bear it just to be relieved of the overactive bladder. I thought I would have a normal life. Now trying Toviaz.

January 19, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by :-) (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 19 years old and started using this patch. I had surgery to stretch my bladder a year ago (apparently my bladder quit growing at a young age). Before, I had to go to the bathroom every hour and a half and the surgery was only a temporary fix from this. This patch worked wonders! Not only do I go less, but I can also hold it in for a lot longer!

January 6, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Grace simp:

I get bad reaction to the adhesive. The redness stays for weeks and itches so bad. I clean the area with acetone to remove the adhesive residue and then clean it with alcohol. Hope you guys will create one for sensitive adhesive like sensitive bandage. The product helps with overactive bladder I just hope the itch and redness will go away. Been using this patch for a month.

January 2, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by oxytrol works:

I LOVE THIS. IT HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY AND I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO PEOPLE everywhere. Remember everyone is different so it may not help some and it may help some but as for me it does work.

December 1, 2013 6:07 PM

Review by BryteEyez (taken for less than 1 month):

After seeing a commercial for Oxytrol, I knew I had to give it a shot. I have had numerous occurances that if I had not been wearing a Depends I would have had a very embarrassing situation. I noticed a difference the very FIRST day. No sudden urges and no accidents ( or NEAR accidents). I have gotten my life back! I want to shout it from the rooftops! Very, very happy with this product! So thankful it is now over the counter! I have read reviews about people saying the patch left adhesive residue, I've had no such problem. Also have not had it come off in the shower or pool. I think it might be improved if the patch were a bit rubbery, say something along the lines of a blister band aide.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2013 1:29 PM

Review by Ohiogirl28:

Been wearing the patches for a week now. I can tell a difference. The urge to use the bathroom greatly decreased. So glad they are OTC! The only problem i have is when I remove the patch it leaves adhesive on the skin, its hard to get off. And waterproof would be better. Maybe they will update them sooner or later. But def recommended

November 11, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by Theresa S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I want to thank Merck and it's scientist that developed this patch and I am so glad it is Over the Counter now. I have worn the patch for one month now. I am on my second box and will be purchasing a third a forth and so on..... Oxytrol has changed my life back to normal. No standing up and urine flowing out uncontrollably anymore. No more 12-15 trips to the bathroom a day. I travel and now I can drive for 2-3 hours at a time without stopping for a bathroom. Now I change the patch on day 4. I did try to hold out for the 4th night and while i did not have the urgency problem I did have to urinate more frequently than if I go four days and three nights. The adhesive problems and the crinkling I DON'T CARE better then a diaper.

November 8, 2013 8:48 AM

Review by Madder than H_ _ _:

I used 4 patches in 4 days because each morning when I got in the shower the patch came off. That was a cost of $4 a day since I had paid $16 for the box. I called Merck (manufactures product) and was told they would send me a coupon or another box of patches. That was 4 weeks ago and nothing yet. But I have decided not to use the product or recommend it to anyone.

October 30, 2013 2:55 PM

Review by Jamcanfi74:

This patch sucks! It's a complete waste of money. It doesn't do anything! Waste of money!

October 25, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by bedine (taken for less than 1 month):

Great at first. Now I've had stomach pain for the last 3 days. I'm on my 3rd patch. Not sure if I should stop or not.

October 24, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Drug works but the patch is horrible. It is plastic and wrinkles up. The edges don't adhere well so the patch is always sticking to my clothes. I hope they fix this issue. If they do I will buy again but for now I'm going to save my money.

October 20, 2013 7:56 PM

Review by WBe (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a sling a few years ago for stress incontinence (that I have had since I was a kid), but it didn't do anything for the overactive bladder, obviously. I tried the patch and within 24 hours, there was a huge difference. However, the patch does not stick well. The adhesive on the edges of the patch is not good. While it does not come off, it does crinkle and wrinkle and one was clearly not adhering much at all and I doubt much medicine was delivered, which was why it did not work that day. The medicine is great, but they need to improve the actual patch.

October 16, 2013 12:08 PM

Review by L C (taken for less than 1 month):

ABSOLUTELY THRILLED. I'M AMAZED. I just turned 52-YO but have suffered from incontinence for the last few years and seem to go through 2 to 3 "super-plus" Poise or Tena each day, plus one at night. I saw an ad on TV yesterday for Oxytrol and bought a 4-pack ($16.99) on my lunch hour and put one on about 1:15pm. And while certainly NOT recommended for someone with my condition, my co-workers and I go out on Mondays for a few cocktails and I always make sure I have extra 'pads' in my purse. We're talking LESS THAN 5-HOURS and a few Miller Lites, I stayed totally dry and only leaked when I was just about to sit down on the toilet. THAT IS A MIRACLE.

October 7, 2013 10:27 PM

Review by Patt Bush:

I have had the patch on for 24 hours, don't even know it is there. I CANNOT believe it's effectiveness. The CONSTANT urge to urinate is GONE! I have NO feeling that I will have an accident and I DON'T have to visit the bathroom constantly to make sure my bladder is empty! My bladder actually feels CALM. All other methods I have tried were failures right from the onset of use.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by Dellissa:

I have had the Oxytrol patch on for only about 24 hours and understand that it takes between 24 and 48 hours to notice any improvement, so I have noticed no improvement yet. It does not stick well and I have had to put adhesive tape around the edges of the patch to keep it on. I don't know if I picked a bad spot (middle of my stomach) but certain ways it turn, it seems to pinch. I used nicotine patches years ago and it seems that if these patches were smaller and less rigid, they might adhere a little better. I like the idea of a patch lasting 3-4 days, but I would prefer using one smaller patch a day if they stuck to the skin better.

September 25, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by coffeeman:

What a difference the Oxytrol patch has made in my life. I was having to go to the bathroom 10 to 12 times in an afternoon. Since using the patches, I only go about 4 times. I have had no side effects.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 8:39 PM

Review by Overactive Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was worried the patch would be intrusive, but once I put it on, the only thing I noticed was my reduced need to go to the bathroom. I didn't experience any other side effects.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2013 12:21 PM

Review by junbug:

I've had incontinence for some time, but it got to where the urge would hit so hard that I couldn't move until the urge passed and I could get to the bathroom. I went to the doctor and she put me on Oxybutynin. It may be all in my head but I swear only one 5mg. pill already has worked. I didn't have that extreme urge when I got up from a nap, like I did before. I still had the urge but not as severe. Time will tell.

March 3, 2011 11:22 PM

Review by Bobbi C:

For two years urologists tried six different pill-form medications to try to help me with my 24/7 discomfort, pain, bladder spasms and need to use the bathroom a dozen or more times daily. It was horror, and nothing came close to helping until I was finally given the Oxytrol patch. Over a period of less than one week, it was as if my life was given back to me. Period. I was able to visit places without stopping to "go" continually; again we enjoyed marital intimacy; and I no longer went sleepless or suffered terrible pain-- or a single side-effect. Thank you for your joint efforts in the launch of this medication. You have given many back a Life. I will be glad to boast your praises anytime, anywhere--for free.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2011 2:38 AM

Review by Bobbi C:

After spending two years in absolute agony 24/7 with spasms of the bladder: pain, needing to urinate up to 12 times day and night and aches in my loin, I finally was given the Oxytrol patch, after no help from six prior pill-form medications. I want to thank whoever is responsible for the making, marketing and licensing of this product that changed my life back to livable after twenty-four months of literal hell. Thank you again.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2011 2:12 AM

Review by Trel:

I had very bad experience with Ditropan (Oxybutynin in tablets) with unacceptable side effects. After some years my GP suggested trial of Oxybutynin patches. That was the second best thing after sliced bread. Within 2 days I went from up to 6 wetting incidents per 24 hours to 0 and in the following weeks a substantial reduction in the leaking of urine. I have now used Oxytrol for 5 weeks and the only side effect is severe constipation, which seems to be helped by changing the Oxytrol patch every 5 days instead of 3 or 4. I have no other side effects, no dry mouth, no sensitive skin where the patches have been sitting on either side of the body. So I am a very satisfied user, no more large pads, nappies, PVC pants just a normal size Tena pad.

September 10, 2010 9:10 AM

Red, raised skin, itchy and uncomfortable reaction at each site to adhesive that was lasting for a week - so not only site with a patch but also from the previous patch. Dry mouth, dizziness and nausea but yes reduced need to run for the bathroom just the side effects starting causing as many problems as it was meant to be solving.

July 12, 2010 12:57 AM