User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Botox to treat Migraine Prevention

"When I did the first treatment I didn't feel much, the doctor said he was going to use just half dose to see if that would work for me, It didn't help much. Then, when I came back in 3 months, he put me the whole dose and I would say It took like 2 weeks so I could finally feel the results. It was awesome!!!! I never used my medication again and was extremely happy with the results. Today, I am going for my 3rd session. If you are desperate maybe this could be a solution for you! Give it a try! If you are scared, you actually haven't felt the PAIN from a real migraine to actually be willing to do ANYTHING to not experience it again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2015

"Botox was the best thing I ever did for my headaches. I got my botox 2 weeks ago i had chronic migraines. I had a migraine when i went and one a day after. The doctor told me it may take 7 days to have the full effect. since the second migraine only 1 day after botox i haven't even had 1 migraine. Its a miracle. I'm a new woman. They don't inject it in cosmetic areas so you don't have to worry about a weird looking face I'm only 27.. I don't need botox so I was worried about using it for treatment there are risks of droopy eye. I did not have a bad experience I had the most extreme experience of no migraines. I have to share. Do this for a miracle"

ktomp April 25, 2015

"After 18 years of chronic cluster migraines, lasting 2-5 days each and occurring 2-3 times a month, I think that I have used every medication possible for prevention with no luck. Then every possible nasal spray, injection, and medication to end the migraine, they got better, but never went away and when I did not have a migraine I still had a headache. I had 3-4 days a month when I felt no pain in my head. I have just had my 4th Botox treatment, so at the 1 year mark, my migraines are mostly gone, maybe 1 during the 3 months and only lasting 2 days max. I have some soreness in my neck for a day or 2 after my Botox, but this cannot even compare to my chronic cluster migraines. I did not ever think that anything would give me this kind of relief."

Poodle3 Westerville Ohio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2015

"I used to have migraines for so many years, no treatments work until I have BOTOX injections. Now just use over the counter medications."

Hermana January 27, 2015

"I have failed all treatments for my migraines. Botox was my absolute last resort. I just went for my 3rd session & have to say it's totally worth it. I've gotten up to 2 full months headache free. It's so wonderful to feel normal again!"

KaDel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2014

"40+ years of migraines, foods, weather, you name it, day after day. Pills, ER, you name it. Finally tried Botox.. Didn't notice improvement first two cycles. Wits end. Started to help a little on 3rd, then wore off after two months. This time, full 200 units, no migraine for over a week so far.. That's miraculous!"

IdahoLady November 9, 2014

"After suffering from 15+ migraines that sometimes lasted 3 days, for over a year, my doctor decided I would be a good candidate for Botox. After my first treatment, I had about 10 migraines in total. Botox also helped against normal triggers that would cause my migraines. On days I wouldn't have a full blown migraine prior to Botox, I had mild headaches consistently. This all died down after my first treatment. The needle itself does not hurt, but the actual injection of botox does a little. If you have anxiety from needles, I would make sure you have an allotted time after the treatment to lay down. It definitely is worth the shots for a better quality of life."

Kim C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2014

"My wife started having chronic migraines after our 3rd child. We spent 3 years trying 3 classes of migraine medication with almost no benefit. We finally decided to try Botox injections. It have some relief noted after 6 months ( 1 treatment every 3 months). After 18 months she went from 12 migraines a month to 1. About 1 year ago our doctor moved and we tried to go without injections and they have slowly started back (now 10 per month). She is with a new doctor and we hope to see the benefit again. Having seen the benefit first hand, it may not be for everyone but I have read the studies and it absolutely can have benefit for someone with chronic daily migraines."

6 years experience with Botox (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2014

"I have had migraines for 31 yrs beginning after hysterectomy. I average 16 migraine days every month that last from 4 to 72 hrs. I've tried every treatment except Depakot, which I refused because of the lasting bad side effects. I had the first of 3 Botox treatments in last month and had 11 days of migraines. Was hoping for less. My eyelids are droopy, vision blurred in right eye, and just now am able to raise my eyebrows just a little. I've read that these side effects go away by the time I get the next treatment. If it affects my eye sight every time, and I still have this many migraines, I'm questioning whether to continue treatments. "

Kathpb (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2014

"I was referred to a specialist after 20 years of migraines. She spoke with me about botox for migraines which at that point in my life I was desperate for any cure. The day I had it done I had a severe migraine. The neurologist told me it would be more painful and it would probably make my side effects worse BUT that it would only last a couple weeks at max. It lasted 3weeks of stiff neck and soreness. But after a month it was worth the soreness and stiff neck because the botox kicked in and for some reason helped me stay migraine free for a whole YEAR!? I'd recommend this to anyone desperate for some relief."

4myboys May 2, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried everything before Botox. This was miraculous!"

Gary San Diego (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2014

"I've had classic migraines for 35 yrs. I've tried many medications. Many times I've had to go to the ER for acute relief. The past few years they have reduced but I still battle with them. I just had botox injections for the first time it has only been one week. The injections were not too bad, most I barely felt but a few, ouch! This week I've had three sinus type migraines and I am not pleased. I had a lot of swelling on my forehead and my eyelids swelled to the point I could see the skin in my daily vision. My neck got stiff but not bad. I got the injections on my forehead and temple area's only. I am still suffering for over 28 hours with my third headache. Botox did not agree with me."

Vomiecuz (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2014

"I've been getting Botox for migraines for over a year. I used to have migraines all day, every day. This has cut them down to 2-3 times a week. Although I do have to take other medication to help with it, I'm still very grateful that my dr had me do the treatments. It's every 3 months and I end up getting 37 injections and I believe 175-200 units. The only side effect is usually a week or two after my neck will be weak and I'll have trouble holding it up if I'm bent forward to pick something up. It goes away but kind of annoying at first. I would recommend this to anyone that is a chronic migraine sufferer like myself."

SXLLOVE (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2013

"I've had migraines for 20 years. I tried all the different preventative meds, migraine meds, including several years of narcotics. My life went to hell about two years ago when I was abruptly taken off narcotics and was not warned of opiate dependancy. So, a mother of 7 sons, not a smoker or drinker found myself in a world you only see in movies. I didn't even realize that I was addicted to pain pills, it was a normal prescription I got every month to deal with migraines. With, the help of my husband and my cousin, I was able to get off of these pills. My body was full of poison, I did it, I detoxed! I started going to a pain clinic and was introduced to Botox. It changed my life, I do get sick after shots, but it is worth it to me."

amyzgot7boyz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2013

"I had migraines for years. I tried Imitrex and similar meds but ended up with rebound headaches. It was a vicious cycle. Narcotic meds also did not work. Botox was a miracle for me. Within two weeks my migraines had disappeared entirely! The Botox lasted for 4-6 months. I changed neurologists though last month and he had a different method of injection, using twice as much Botox (200 units instead of 100). Two days later I developed horrible neck pain that progressed from sore to being barely able to hold my head up. I could not look down, bend, brush my teeth, or even turn my head. My head felt as if it weighed 200 pounds. Doctor said it would go away in 2 weeks! 10% of folks get this "side effect." I am still suffering."

Marin Lady May 20, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Although this has greatly reduced my migraines in frequency and severity, the week after receiving it I go into extreme anxiety and weepiness that is crippling. It makes me nauseous and low. It subsides after about a week."

Anxiety ridden (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 23, 2012

"My migraines became so severe and frequent that I was taking more abortive medications than my insurance covered. I also tried countless preventative medications but could not cope with the strange side effects of these pills. Four years ago, I started seeing a different neurologist at the military hospital and she recommended trying Botox injections. At first, I was quite hesitant. My first set of injections were practically painless. The sensation is similar to plucking eyebrow hairs, but nothing like getting a bikini wax! I've continued Botox every 3 months and my headaches are down to maybe 1 per month and they no longer affect my life as a busy mom. Botox has been a miracle for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm very grateful the FDA approved this! I've suffered with debilitating migraines for 25 years now and have tried every medication prescribed and OTC, unfortunately the only thing that would take away the pain are narcotics. Since using Botox treatments my migraines are under control and down to approximately 4-5 a month compared to 20-25. I feel as though I have a life again and not living hour to hour, not having a life in fear of having a migraine. Also VERY grateful to have good insurance that pays for this."

RaeRay December 28, 2011

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had a constant 24/7 headache for two years straight before trying Botox. I tried every other conceivable medication to no avail, but Botox cut my pain to a third of its previous level. I still get injections every four months or so, but it's been three years and I still have the much lower pain level, can work, and am thankful everyday for Botox."

Anonymous December 23, 2011

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have had intractable migraines for 38 yrs-just had 31 injections for migraine a month ago. Within 3 days I began having muscle spasms in neck/shoulders 24/7. Went back to neurologist and he gave me Lidoderm Patches (12 hrs on 12 hrs off). They help somewhat but the adhesive breaks out my skin. I chose to wear them during the day so I can function at work. My head feels so heavy that my neck muscles don't feel that they can support it so I have to lie down in my car at work every few hours to relieve pressure. Am supposed to have a 2nd round of injections in 2 months but have decided the side effects are worse than my 3-4 migraines wk. At least I had a few days without any pain before. "

Anon Gram September 29, 2011

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had migraines for 26 years. I've tried every migraine medication with no success. They either didn't work or the side effects were intolerable. This migraine has lasted 1 year. I received Botox injections and woke up the next morning with no pain. Finally relief with relatively little side effects. I would recommend this to anyone who has minimal relief from typical migraine medications."

Anonymous June 18, 2011

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Botox is the only medicine that has stopped my migraines for 4-5 months at a time. I've had migraines for over 40 years now and I'm very happy that it is now approved by the FDA for migraine treatment."

Anonymous March 10, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Migraine Prevention