User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Botox to treat Migraine Prevention

"I had the 31 recommended injections. In the first 24 hours, I developed extreme injection site pain. It felt like electrified acid had been injected into my head and neck. All the injection sites became extremely itchy and my eye balls were itchy. 48 hours later, my neck and shoulders locked into knots. At 72 hours (after the weekend), I returned to my doctor. Doctor said that it was all in my head, even though I couldn't turn my head to look over my shoulder. He prescribed Benadryl and Aleve. Benadryl helped the itchiness, but Aleve did nothing for the neck and shoulder pain. I've tried Motrin, heat, massage and muscle relaxers... nothing has worked. At 10 days out, I can't hold my head up. Doctor is sending me to the ER."

Its-not-worth-it (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"Went through 2 rounds of botox injections. Terrible side effects: stiff neck with pain. Cold chill down my back. Difficulty swallowing that has worsen with time. It's been 2 1/2 years since I had the injections! I wish I had never tried Botox. Looking for a specialist to help with my swallowing problem. Still have migraines."

hortencia April 17, 2016

"I received my first round of Botox in October. I must admit there was some improvement in frequency and severity of my migraines. What I didn't understand is the many, many drug interactions associated with Botox. Please do your research before trying Botox. I went for my second round in January. I was hesitant because I really wasn't feeling well. But my NP advised a second round. That's when things went way wrong. After about a week, I wasn't able to take any migraine medication because it gave me extreme anxiety. Eventually I had anxiety full time. I admitted myself to a hospital after 3 visits to ER. None of the doctors acknowledged Botox side affects. I was really in the dark. Since then, I have done a lot of research. Dont do it!"

Dredders (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016

"I would suggest botox treatment for migraine as the best choice. I had severe headaches and doctor after diagnosing said that it is because of migraine.Took too many capsules for instant reliefs. But I couldn't see any changes in my situation. Parents were very much worried regarding the high dose capsule intake. Cousin suggested me to go for a therapeutic botox at Brampton. It brought wonderful changes to my life. Now I am totally free from my migraine problem."

Re007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"I've been experiencing migraines since about 12 years old, I tried every medication and been in/out of hospitals. I'm 46 now and tried botox. I received my 2 series and my first was okay, but 1 month before , had a migraine for 2 weeks. Now, just this past week was in the emergency room, because I was crawling on the floor , my head was hurting so bad, and I was vomiting all night. I was still having around 7-8 headaches in the month. I will not be going for the 3 shot. I was still on the preventive, taking 2 different pills for onset. This seems like to much medication. I'm so frustrated with this. I'm just going to settle this is my way of life ;( "

Tarsha A. January 13, 2016

"I have had migraines since a young girl not realizing what they were. In 2009 the migraines started getting so bad they started affecting my day to day life. Many trips to the doctors, and neurologists changing prescriptions often due to lack of effectiveness I was worried I would never find a medication that would help me. None of the oral medications were helping me. I started getting Botox injections almost a year ago Skeptical but ready to try. Somewhat apprehensive about so many needles, I have to try to see if this might just be the saving grace from migraines. I am happy to report the Botox is a miracle drug for me. The injections are uncomfortable, but going from >15 headaches a months to 3 or less/mo. I am very happy! Thanks!"

Domina January 7, 2016

"It changed my quality of life for the better, but since having to change to new insurance, they will not allow it, so now I am back in agony again with Migraines!! I would give anything to be back on the one thing that has helped me in 50 years of searching!!"

Fernie January 3, 2016

"I've been dealing w. chronic migraine for about four years now. Just don't really know why I get them honestly. But I do know that certain things triggers the migraines, like loud noises & severe temperature. Anyway, I did my first round of botox injections about 3 weeks ago. My headaches are coming just about every day now. I'm thinking it's definitely the Botox thats kicked in because I work in a quiet area. The injections were FINE.. Just hoping round 2 works. But that is as far as I'll go. I quit meds about a year ago. They all failed to work after 3-5 months of use. I'm only 22. It is the most irritating, emotional, & aggravating thing I've ever had to deal w. Just wanted 2know if anyone here does anything 2help them?? Maybe exercise,meditation"

NaomiiB December 29, 2015

"I had my first lot of Botox yesterday. 31 injections, for chronic daily headaches and migraines. I was just wondering if how I'm feeling after is seemed as normal? My eyes feel very droopy and it makes it feel as though my vision has being affected. Also in still having a lot of pain in my head (not a typical headache or migraine) more pain and numbness where the injections have been - especially my forehead. I also keep going very light headed when I'm doing things, and feeling very faint so I haven't being able to do a lot. Can anyone please let me know if it's normal to get these types of reactions? Thank you"

Taryn555 December 12, 2015

"This treatment has been truly transformational for me. I'm on round 2, and already have gone from 24/7 chronic migraine with horrid aura to 4 days a week with the first round and now 2 days a week with this second round. My migraines are super short now... only an hour for the pain, and aura is much shorter lived at minutes to hours instead of days. The intensity of my aura is really really low now (instead of debilitating vertigo 24/7) and my pain is usually a 0-3 now with occasional 5 instead of 5-9 where it was before. It feels like I'm on vacation. I was really skeptical to try Botox, but I had tried so many meds prior and was desperate. Now I'm working again, spending time with my family, and enjoying life. Try it if you can afford it."

Kay247 December 5, 2015

"My first time we did my neck and trapezeus along with my head. I recommend staying away from the neck area due to very sore neck for several weeks. Now we just do 31 injections all in my scalp and back of head. No problems and I have been doing this over a year or two now. Reduced my headaches from 4 per week to maybe 1 or 2."

Jenn N R (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2015

"I've just had my third botox injections. I didn't notice a huge improvement after the first lot of injections, although there still was in improvement from having 3 to 4 migraines per week to maybe one or 2 per week. The second lot of injections caused 2 weeks for 5 migraines per week, but then the breakthrough happened. 2 months completely migraine free. I cannot remember the last time I have gone for that long without a migraine. Must be at least 30 years. I'm quietly optimistic that I have finally got a migraine solution that works."

Pamela B (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

"I have suffered from chronic migraines for years and have taken just about every preventative and rescue med on the market. I recently received the Botox injections and didn't realize there would be 31 one of them. I have to tell you, the shots were absolutely not a big deal. It was over in about 5 mins or less. In all honesty, I don't know if I would have gone if I had known there would be 31, but again I am very glad that I did. It's only been 5 days, but I do not have any side effects listed by others and while it would be great to get rid of the migraines all together, if they would only lessen in frequency and intensity, I would be equally pleased."

So Far...so good! (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I'm on my second Botox. After first one I had blurred vision and have to read with my reading glasses. Still have a migraine but with Advil or fioricet with cup of coffee migraine i last between 1-5 hours. I was very happy not to have them for seventeen hours and be in dark room. However my second Botox didn't give me relieve I was expecting. So now for whole month I have droopy eyes, constant neck and shoulder pain, and every day migraine. I am planning to go for my third shot because help with migraine, I can take other pain but not migraine pain."

Topicka November 2, 2015

"My first experience w/botox for neck pain/w migraines did not go well. A year later Dr convinced me to try again; migraines gotten worse. So had a series of injection of botox done only in neck area about 8 days ago. Yes I'll admit haven't had a migraine but the neck/muscle pain intolerable, such a stiff neck, hurts to move it, weakness in left arm down to hand. Hard to hold head up or turn. Muscle relaxers don't help, heating/cold pads don't help, already on pain meds no relief. Moving head exercises only cause more pain. Driving me crazy to b in so much pain and discomfort. Hoping it goes away soon or is this the trade off?"

Rosa Fernandez (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2015

"I have been a chronic migraine sufferer since a child. I have tried everything and still maintain my daily medication. However, my specialist decided to refer me to another Neurologist who performed Botox and I thought why not! I was scared and it was painful yes but the results for me are amazing no more stints in hospital no daily headaches but, yes still migraines however they no longer last 3-4 days and that is awesome. I can handle and maintain a migraine that lasts 24 hours and only occurs twice a week yay. That's a bonus. Going back tonight for my second round hoping for a better outcome this time around :) .."

Kellsza (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2015

"I started using Botox as a prophylactic treatment for migraines last year. It has saved my life. I was having headaches 15-20x/month now I may have 1-4 with much less intensity. It has been such a drastic change."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 21, 2015

"I dumbly took Botox for migraines after not researching the potentially dangerous and fatal side effects. Botox is a dangerous neurotoxin that can cause the symptoms of botulism if it spreads. This is exactly what has happened to me. Side effects included extreme muscle weakness, dropping eye lids, difficulty swallowing and breathing and as well as vertigo, ringing in the ears and burning and numbness in my arms and legs. Side effects lasted longer than the 3-6 months I was told they would by doctors. Do your research before trying Botox."

Morocco blue (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

"After suffering with daily migraines for almost every single day of every month for over two years I was finally approved for botox injections. I received 31 total injections, which did not hurt with the exception of a pinching during a few of them. After 3 weeks I was still suffering to the same degree and now, 8 weeks later there is zero improvement. I am glad it has helped many, but for me there is no relief. I also had a cortisone injection in my C5 and C6 for degenerative disease and still no relief."

Makena123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015

"Botox has been my salvation. I went from having daily 24/7 migraines to having only 1-2 migraines a week using Botox injections every 3 months. I know that sounds like a lot, still - but believe me - when you're having migraines from the time you wake up until you manage to drop off to sleep, having some relief more days than not AND being able to actually treat the ones you do get with triptans and having it WORK is absolutely HUGE. I feel as though I've gotten my life back. I went from having to take at least a day off a week for migraines to rarely having to take a day off. My supervisor has noticed and mentioned several times how little sick time I take now! I've gotten my LIFE back!"

RIDiverGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2015

"I have gotten Botox for migraines for three years now. The migraines went from every other day to one per month, the shots are not fun but quick and worth it. I do have some drooping of both eyelids and occasional blurry vision that lasts about 30 min. I am on the lower dose- 18 shots. I tried twice the dose one time and my neck and back of head were tight and sore for a week. Went back to the lower dose."

JB in NM October 4, 2015

"I started getting migraines my last 2 years in the Army. I tried a lot of oral medications but nothing worked. I'd literally had daily migraines for months at a time. I was miserable. I went to a VA neurologist who tried oral one time and said he would like to try botox if I was willing to take 31 injections to my face, head, neck, and shoulders. I jumped at the chance bc I'd heard that some migraine suffers got relief. The first time I got the injections my headache was gone before I left his office. He thought it might be psychosomatic because it usually will take a week or so to notice a difference. But I went 12 weeks and got only 3 migraines. I believe I'm on my 6th or 7th round of treatments and they're working great."

Grianne September 23, 2015

"Have had migraines for years ave 8 - 14/mth. Received 3 vials of Botox 3 weeks ago in forehead, temples, base of skull, neck, trapezius, paraspinal muscles. My head was fine. The first week, my neck and back muscles were so sore, they hurt to the touch. It was as if the muscles not paralyzed were competing for the jobs of those that were. I have never felt such pain. Each morning, different muscles would be in pain. The diffuse, large muscle pain has improved somewhat now 3 weeks out, but my neck muscles feel as if they cannot support my head. It causes me severe pain to bend forward to read, eat, try to pick things up. I am going to try PT this week. Also have had 7 migraines in 3 weeks since treatments. Very sad patient here!"

MO Mom (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

"When I did the first treatment I didn't feel much, the doctor said he was going to use just half dose to see if that would work for me, It didn't help much. Then, when I came back in 3 months, he put me the whole dose and I would say It took like 2 weeks so I could finally feel the results. It was awesome!!!! I never used my medication again and was extremely happy with the results. Today, I am going for my 3rd session. If you are desperate maybe this could be a solution for you! Give it a try! If you are scared, you actually haven't felt the PAIN from a real migraine to actually be willing to do ANYTHING to not experience it again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2015

"Botox was the best thing I ever did for my headaches. I got my botox 2 weeks ago i had chronic migraines. I had a migraine when i went and one a day after. The doctor told me it may take 7 days to have the full effect. since the second migraine only 1 day after botox i haven't even had 1 migraine. Its a miracle. I'm a new woman. They don't inject it in cosmetic areas so you don't have to worry about a weird looking face I'm only 27.. I don't need botox so I was worried about using it for treatment there are risks of droopy eye. I did not have a bad experience I had the most extreme experience of no migraines. I have to share. Do this for a miracle"

ktomp April 25, 2015