User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Botox to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Kathpb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had migraines for 31 yrs beginning after hysterectomy. I average 16 migraine days every month that last from 4 to 72 hrs. I've tried every treatment except Depakot, which I refused because of the lasting bad side effects. I had the first of 3 Botox treatments in last month and had 11 days of migraines. Was hoping for less. My eyelids are droopy, vision blurred in right eye, and just now am able to raise my eyebrows just a little. I've read that these side effects go away by the time I get the next treatment. If it affects my eye sight every time, and I still have this many migraines, I'm questioning whether to continue treatments.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 10:50 AM

Review by 4myboys:

I was referred to a specialist after 20 years of migraines. She spoke with me about botox for migraines which at that point in my life I was desperate for any cure. The day I had it done I had a severe migraine. The neurologist told me it would be more painful and it would probably make my side effects worse BUT that it would only last a couple weeks at max. It lasted 3weeks of stiff neck and soreness. But after a month it was worth the soreness and stiff neck because the botox kicked in and for some reason helped me stay migraine free for a whole YEAR!? I'd recommend this to anyone desperate for some relief.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by Gary San Diego (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Tried everything before Botox. This was miraculous!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 2:41 AM

Review by Vomiecuz (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had classic migraines for 35 yrs. I've tried many medications. Many times I've had to go to the ER for acute relief. The past few years they have reduced but I still battle with them. I just had botox injections for the first time it has only been one week. The injections were not too bad, most I barely felt but a few, ouch! This week I've had three sinus type migraines and I am not pleased. I had a lot of swelling on my forehead and my eyelids swelled to the point I could see the skin in my daily vision. My neck got stiff but not bad. I got the injections on my forehead and temple area's only. I am still suffering for over 28 hours with my third headache. Botox did not agree with me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 11:29 PM

Review by SXLLOVE (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been getting Botox for migraines for over a year. I used to have migraines all day, every day. This has cut them down to 2-3 times a week. Although I do have to take other medication to help with it, I'm still very grateful that my dr had me do the treatments. It's every 3 months and I end up getting 37 injections and I believe 175-200 units. The only side effect is usually a week or two after my neck will be weak and I'll have trouble holding it up if I'm bent forward to pick something up. It goes away but kind of annoying at first. I would recommend this to anyone that is a chronic migraine sufferer like myself.

December 10, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by amyzgot7boyz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had migraines for 20 years. I tried all the different preventative meds, migraine meds, including several years of narcotics. My life went to hell about two years ago when I was abruptly taken off narcotics and was not warned of opiate dependancy. So, a mother of 7 sons, not a smoker or drinker found myself in a world you only see in movies. I didn't even realize that I was addicted to pain pills, it was a normal prescription I got every month to deal with migraines. With, the help of my husband and my cousin, I was able to get off of these pills. My body was full of poison, I did it, I detoxed! I started going to a pain clinic and was introduced to Botox. It changed my life, I do get sick after shots, but it is worth it to me.

December 9, 2013 10:43 PM

Review by Marin Lady:

I had migraines for years. I tried Imitrex and similar meds but ended up with rebound headaches. It was a vicious cycle. Narcotic meds also did not work. Botox was a miracle for me. Within two weeks my migraines had disappeared entirely! The Botox lasted for 4-6 months. I changed neurologists though last month and he had a different method of injection, using twice as much Botox (200 units instead of 100). Two days later I developed horrible neck pain that progressed from sore to being barely able to hold my head up. I could not look down, bend, brush my teeth, or even turn my head. My head felt as if it weighed 200 pounds. Doctor said it would go away in 2 weeks! 10% of folks get this "side effect." I am still suffering.

May 20, 2013 3:59 AM

Review by Anxiety ridden (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Although this has greatly reduced my migraines in frequency and severity, the week after receiving it I go into extreme anxiety and weepiness that is crippling. It makes me nauseous and low. It subsides after about a week.

December 23, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My migraines became so severe and frequent that I was taking more abortive medications than my insurance covered. I also tried countless preventative medications but could not cope with the strange side effects of these pills. Four years ago, I started seeing a different neurologist at the military hospital and she recommended trying Botox injections. At first, I was quite hesitant. My first set of injections were practically painless. The sensation is similar to plucking eyebrow hairs, but nothing like getting a bikini wax! I've continued Botox every 3 months and my headaches are down to maybe 1 per month and they no longer affect my life as a busy mom. Botox has been a miracle for me!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2012 11:57 PM

Review by RaeRay:

I'm very grateful the FDA approved this! I've suffered with debilitating migraines for 25 years now and have tried every medication prescribed and OTC, unfortunately the only thing that would take away the pain are narcotics. Since using Botox treatments my migraines are under control and down to approximately 4-5 a month compared to 20-25. I feel as though I have a life again and not living hour to hour, not having a life in fear of having a migraine. Also VERY grateful to have good insurance that pays for this.

December 28, 2011 3:14 AM

I had a constant 24/7 headache for two years straight before trying Botox. I tried every other conceivable medication to no avail, but Botox cut my pain to a third of its previous level. I still get injections every four months or so, but it's been three years and I still have the much lower pain level, can work, and am thankful everyday for Botox.

December 23, 2011 3:32 PM

Review by Anon Gram:

Have had intractable migraines for 38 yrs-just had 31 injections for migraine a month ago. Within 3 days I began having muscle spasms in neck/shoulders 24/7. Went back to neurologist and he gave me Lidoderm Patches (12 hrs on 12 hrs off). They help somewhat but the adhesive breaks out my skin. I chose to wear them during the day so I can function at work. My head feels so heavy that my neck muscles don't feel that they can support it so I have to lie down in my car at work every few hours to relieve pressure. Am supposed to have a 2nd round of injections in 2 months but have decided the side effects are worse than my 3-4 migraines wk. At least I had a few days without any pain before.

September 29, 2011 10:46 PM

I've had migraines for 26 years. I've tried every migraine medication with no success. They either didn't work or the side effects were intolerable. This migraine has lasted 1 year. I received Botox injections and woke up the next morning with no pain. Finally relief with relatively little side effects. I would recommend this to anyone who has minimal relief from typical migraine medications.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2011 8:20 PM

Botox is the only medicine that has stopped my migraines for 4-5 months at a time. I've had migraines for over 40 years now and I'm very happy that it is now approved by the FDA for migraine treatment.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2011 12:59 PM