User Reviews for Prilosec

Learn more about Prilosec.

Prilosec Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Prilosec to treat GERD

"Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!"

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

"This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend."

john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

"Its the best PPI I've tried."

boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 4, 2013

"A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy."

janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed."

Dan'l July 27, 2013

"Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle."

Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2013

"Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me."

whimpywall February 4, 2013

"This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups."

Anonymous April 5, 2012

"I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat."

XmyXoneXandXonlyX October 11, 2011

"I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses."

teresabzie October 8, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Prilosec completely eradicates the severe reflux I suffer from due to a rare stomach condition known as gastroparesis. Sadly, it completely eliminates my appetite as well. It also slows my metabolism down to a crawl, which is already inherently slow due to my stomach condition. "

lambnj24 July 11, 2011

"I started taking one pill a day in October, switched to generic, which didn't work so the doctor suggested I take 2 a day. Still nothing, so I switched back to Prilosec and continued to take twice a day. Works pretty well, except for some days when I need to use a backup of tums or Zantac."

bria22 June 29, 2011

"Needed to stop taking due to red, swollen and painful joints side effect. Tried stopping then starting again but side effect occurred again."

genop October 9, 2010

"I took this drug for several weeks and my GERD cleared up. Then, out of the blue, I became moody and angry at everyone. I read up on some of the side effects and found that mood issues have been associated. I tend to have this when I take anything that amps up your metabolism so it must contain something that is somewhat related to that."

Anonymous December 30, 2009

"Prilosec is the only new drug I have used and I find I have insomnia. I am going to stop using this and see if it clears up."

Anonymous September 28, 2009

"I tried Prilosec first for my heartburn symptoms but I noticed I had to take it a couple of times during the day which quickly added up. I found myself spending quite a bit of money."

pauley February 20, 2009

"I have Crohns' Disease along with GERD and Prilosec works very well for me. I live by the stuff, it's the only thing that has ever worked."

j lynn September 18, 2008

"About three months ago my dr ordered prilosec 20 mg for heart burn. I also have diverticulosis that coused me to have a burning itching discharge. By the time I had taken 42 prilosec I noticed the burning and itching had completely stopped. I am still taking one prilosec every other day. I now need to know if I can take one 20 mg. prilosec tablet per day indefinately without harm to my health. "

olato August 27, 2007

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about GERD