User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 272 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Osteoarthritis

Anaprox (naproxen): "If you have any kind of stomach problems, these kind of medications aren't for you. It only relieved about 10-20% of my pain & hurt my stomach in the process."

boo-boo9668 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2015

"I am 51 yrs old with advanced Osteoarthritis in both hips, and on the surgery wait list to have THR. Naproxen is quite amazing for me at controlling OA pain. So far I only take it when I have upcoming situations where I will need to walk alot. For these situations I'll take Naproxen 1-2 days in advance, 2 x 500mg tablet daily. It makes a huge difference. If I didn't worry about stomach or intestine damage I would take it continually. Other days, I try to get by with low doses of ibuprofen."

SloppyHips (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

"Took my first 500mg pill last night after supper, really feel good this morning, no pain when sleeping. Will post again in a week to update."

Popolopo August 14, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): "I have severe Osteoarthritis my fingers twisted, my knees have had 1 replace. The other needs one, my hips, my feet and back. I find a Aleve gel caps work better than my Voltaren. I also use oxycodone to help me with severe pain."

Pinkmama60 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2014

Naprosyn (naproxen): "This is an excellent pain medication as well as an anti inflammatory. I take 500 mg twice a day and had no adverse side effects."

sandylns (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2014

"I am young and have been suffering from severe to extreme neck pain resulting in debilitating headaches for as long as I can remember. I have done every natural therapy known to me including myotherapy, acupuncture, deep tissue massage, Bowen therapy, chiropractic and osteopathy therapy, etc. The therapy alone was costing me $800 a month plus pain killing medications. I started to believe I was addicted to codeine because I associated it with withdrawal like symptoms. I then went back to my GP and was told to have X-rays including an MRI after seeing a rheumatologist specialist. Diagnosed with cervical osteoarthritis and also osteoarthritis in my hip. Last winter I couldn't even put on my undies. Naprosyn saved me! Simple."

James Muscat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2013

Naprelan (naproxen): "Takes away swelling from knee post-surgery."

Rosie 59 (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2013

"I take this for significant pain caused by osteoarthritis. Before my GP put me on it I was losing every morning to barely being able to walk on my knee due to the pain. Started seeing results in less than 24 hours. I was prescribed another medicine with it to prevent side effects, and some other pain killers so sometimes a bit ashamed of the combination, but for the first time in years I am almost entirely pain free all day every day."

Anonymous October 16, 2012

Naprelan (naproxen): "Works great. No noticable side effects. Cost is pretty high, but my insurance covers it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2012

Naprelan (naproxen): "Works great. Love it."

Anonymous January 21, 2012

Naprelan (naproxen): "Works GREAT. Take it once a day and I'm done. Cost is outrageous though."

Anonymous January 9, 2012

"I have been taking Naproxen for 7 months 500mg and it is very effective but does have an impact on the stomach. I recently caught gastroenteritis and what normally lasts for 48 hours lasted 11 days, which may have been down to my weakened stomach lining. I was dehydrated and lost 1.5 stone. I am now going to try and manage the pain with ibuprofen and paracetamol."

cheekyw July 20, 2011

"I've used naproxen sodium for five years (500 - 1000mg daily as needed) with no side effects. I am 66 years old."

Boson March 10, 2011

Aleve (naproxen): "My hip and shoulder have hurt for years and I have always taken Bayer aspirin and I tried Aleve arthritis gelcap. To my surprise the pain in my hip and shoulder went away for 8 hours. The only thing I don't know is how long I could take the stuff, the bottle said do not take for longer than 10 days. The warning label about it could cause stroke or heart attack did raise questions."

Anonymous June 12, 2010

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffer from severe arthritis due in part to extensive cervical fusion. About 2 months ago my doctor prescribed Naproxen and I am pleasantly surprised with the results so far. While I am not a fan of NSAIDs *any* relief from this pain is worth the risk. It doesn't do much for breakout pain but when I get that nagging pain in my neck it does help, but only in conjunction with a pain killer."

Anonymous December 7, 2009

Naprosyn (naproxen): "Did its job but made me lethargic."

Les123 December 6, 2009

Aleve (naproxen): "I take one Aleve in the morning, one at night and can't believe the relief I've experienced from painful, arthritic knees."

freebiedee December 4, 2009

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Naprosyn (naproxen): "Helped the inflammation and pain, but gave me insomnia."

Anonymous October 7, 2009

"I took Naproxen for eight months before my doctor associated it with the severe side effect of my throat swelling and the feeling of something stuck in my throat, stomach bleeding and neck pain and enduring an oesophagoscopy."

randyd2468 June 17, 2009

"This drug works very well on alleviating the osteoarthritis pain but once in a while I get a side effect. Specifically, it is stomach upset, and randomly it is a metallic taste in my mouth."

Henkat March 27, 2009

"Effective 12 hour pain medicine but caused significant long term gastro-intestinal disruption."

Anonymous February 10, 2009

Naprosyn (naproxen): "I can certainly tell a difference when I don't take Naprosyn. I take 500 mg twice a day if needed."

1947model December 11, 2008

"I have been using Naproxen 500mg for a heel spur and it turns out it is working on my knee cap arthritis. I eat well and then take the pill with milk so not to kill the lining of my stomach. This pill is a wonder drug for treating arthritis especially on the knee cap. I will have to tell my doctor when I see him for my last Orthovisc injection. It has made a huge difference for me."

Lululovesu October 8, 2008

Naprelan (naproxen): "My Dr. prescribed Naprelan for me on March 10th..By March 12th. my condition had improved 85%!!! Ladybugluv"

puddinpie March 12, 2008

"Naproxen has helped my pain a lot. Just remember to take it with food."

Anonymous March 2, 2008