User Reviews for Aleve

Learn more about Aleve.

Aleve Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Back Pain.

Reviews for Aleve to treat Back Pain

"I have severe scoliosis so my pain is pretty strong most days. My doctor recommended Aleve so I take 2 caplets (440mg) and there is a bit less pain for a few hours. The package says it works for 8-12 hours, but I'm lucky if it stretches out to 5. Takes my pain from a 7 (out of 10) to a 3 or 4. And then I can't drink for another 8 hours which is no fun."

Steeeeve January 3, 2016

"It does absolutely nothing for my pain."

Itsmemom (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

"This should be the first thing you take when you realize you have back pain. At the very least this will take the sharp edge off and give you enough time to get to Urgent Care or an immediate doctor appointment. I have noticed that for extended use (2-5 days) the pain symptoms slowly come back, but at least this is something I can buy OTC."

L5-S1 hern/nerve damage (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 4, 2015

"Female 20 years old - I recently started a new job as a cashier. I started to experience pain after having to pick up heavy packs of water bottles and other heavy items. The pain was all in my lower back. I went to visit my chiropractor and that would alleviate the pain until I went back to work. I would rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10; a 7. It was a sharp stabbing pulling pain in my lower back and it even hurt to take a deep breath. Today was the first day I took Aleve when I went to work and my back pain was almost completely gone. I was able to move around without being uncomfortable. I am extremely satisfied with the results."

Kris1369 November 27, 2015

"I started taking this per my Doctor instead of Tylenol for lower back pain. I had stomach issues.. could not eat, vomited, severe itching on the legs and armsI "

catlover82001 October 28, 2015

"Male - 33years old. Excruciating pain in lower SI region of my back following an aggressive 30 mile bick ride and a few days of surfing. Woke up the next morning with shooting pain in low back which progressed to shooting pains running down my glutes and referred pain to the hip flexor region. For two weeks this was extremely painful and did not subside even w/ ice applications and finally chiropractic visits 5 total and lots of Advil. Per the suggestion of my wife I tried aleve (2 pills for first dose and 1 pill each dose after that. After 2 pills I noticed a HUGE difference and significantly reduced pain as well as better range of motion as inflammation had gone down. I highly recommend for anyone with back pain as it really helped me!"

Nick T (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

"I took two aleve and my back pain hasn't even lessened. Still hurts the same after 4 hours and it's supposed to work for 8-12 hours."

Karla Red September 1, 2015

"I don't know what I did but whenever I jumped on the trampoline with my kids, I was experiencing some weird pain in my upper back. I put some a535 on my back. That didn't help. The next day it still hurt!! Then I took two aleve pills and the next morning I was ok. And I continued this way for a few days and my back was all better!!! Thanks aleve! "

That gal with a bad back (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

"Have bulging disc at l-1 ,spinal stenosis at t-10-11 ,c-6-7,didn't want to take narcotics. Have been taking Aleve for 7 days, excellent relief. Hope it lasts."

mike j. (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

"Best one out there."

KJMason February 4, 2015

"It works better than Vicodin for my lower back pain. It takes about 45 minutes to kick in."

DareLiggy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2015

"Ibuprofen bothers my stomach so I tried Aleve/naproxen some years back and as to this day it works better then anything else, over the counter, that I have taken. It may not take away all the pain but it takes that evil edge off so the pain becomes less likely to make me vomit. I take Aleve in the morning to prevent the pains and again when I do get the pains. "

Mike the bad back guy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2013

"I bent over and suddenly experienced severe pain. With either a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle, I could barely make it to a nearby chair. I took 2 Aleve and applied an ice pack for the entire afternoon. Within 45 minutes I could slowly walk and I continued to take Aleve as recommended on the bottle. The next day I resumed my life as usual and in 3 or 4 days I no longer needed Aleve. Wow, better than a chiropractor."

Agape Light (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2012

"Two Aleve a day helped my back pain, but over time it affected my stomach. My gastroenterologist knew immediately what my problem was and I've stopped Aleve entirely. I had almost a year of constant nausea and pain until I quit taking Aleve."

Runnie2 October 30, 2011

"Really good at back pain relief, but after extended use [ I have 2 ruptured discs] my skin started to tear easily, but I was in my 30's at the time. So I don't use for long periods but occasional usage is fine."

tm6438 April 26, 2011

"Doesn't help my back pain."

xxlane January 27, 2011

"I love Aleve! It makes all my lower back pain disappear, I feel like a new person."

Anonymous August 12, 2010

"Good."

SIVASP February 9, 2010

"I took 2 for lower back pain, definitely muscle and it didn't really help."

mybackhurtz July 31, 2009

"Works well for back, shoulder and knee pain"

Pamster55 June 30, 2009

"Aleve worked very well for my neck and back pain but I had side effects... shortness of breath, feeling faint, and my tongue started to swell. I stopped the medicine and was okay the next day."

GGGGGGGG June 22, 2009

"Best medicine I ever took for back pain."

marannye December 19, 2008