User Reviews for Avelox

Learn more about Avelox.

Avelox Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Avelox to treat Sinusitis

"Works great, but side effects are horrible Sweating, dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, next sinus infection. Give me something else doc."

the plumber March 27, 2015

"My experience is that I experienced arthritic symptoms in my joints. In particular my top finger joints where red knobs appeared and I experienced pain and sometimes itching. I also experienced pain in my achillies tendon and weakness in legs"

poppine February 15, 2015

"I was given Avelox after other medicines just didn't clear up my sinus infection. It worked with noticeable relief in a couple days, and by my last dose I was back to my old self. I had been treated for six weeks previously, with 4 different antibiotics that just didn't clear this up. Very thankful for this!"

flowerladytoo (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2015

"Numb hands for an hour, severe headache, blurry vision, rash on my arms. And this was with my first dosage. Doctor didn't even ask to see what previous antibiotics worked for me in the past. He just gave me Avelox and prednisone and said "on your way"."

Toritori September 14, 2014

"A good target specific antibiotic for upper respiratory tract infection and lower respiratory tract infections together with sinusitis which works fast and I experienced no side effects bar taste being affected but only temporarily."

Hels bells September 22, 2013

"I took a 10 day dose 1 year ago for a sinus infection, and only remember feeling much better in a short time. Since I was already miserable, I don't remember having any adverse reactions. Recently, I got a 7 day dose for another sinus infection and an ear infection, and I felt good on day 3 and 4 with only mild nausea and dizziness. Taking it on a full stomach helped. I started to feel poor on day 5 and developed a terrible headache that lasted 2 days. By day 7, I developed severe fatigue, muscle, tendon and joint pain. I agree with other reviews, in that this is a very effective medicine, but the side effects can be severe. I am glad to hear that these go away in a few days."

Kaiyasmom (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2013

"After second dose of Avelox, I broke out in hives. This is unfortunate, because I felt a world of difference (better) within 6 hours of taking the initial dose. Now that I've got hives, I am back to another antibiotic and I don't know if it will work as well."

Anonymous February 6, 2013

"I felt much better after just two days."

netly (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2012

"I suffer from sinus infections about every two months that lead into bronchitis within days of the first symptom. Usually I get the Zpack but have been on Augmentin and Ceftin trying to find something that works better. This time the clinic doctor prescribed the Avelox and I am on day 3 right now, my sinuses are draining, and the tightness in my chest is better. Unfortunately I am getting horrible diarrhea now, which is not fun when you are coughing a lot."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2012

"I have been on Avelox for 4 days now and my symptoms don't appear to be improving and I am still running a fever. If no improvement is seen by tomorrow I am going back to my Dr."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2012

"If you take SSRI's (antidepressants) for anxiety and/or depression, watch it while on this medicine. In addition to the dizziness, lightheadedness, and stomach problems, it might reduce the overall effectiveness of your SSRI."

amiga March 16, 2012

"The first three days on Avelox were difficult. It made me feel disoriented, dizzy and sleepy. I had to rearrange my days to accommodate a 2 hour nap everytime I took it. I got used to the medicine by day 4...so give it time. It cleared up my sinus and double ear infection which persisted after full courses of both Augmentin and Bactrim. Also, I did not feel better until about 4-5 days on the medicine, so don't feel discouraged if you don't feel great right away."

Anonymous December 27, 2011

"On day 3 of 7 being treated for Pneumonia, Sinusitis and Ear Infection. PROS: I can breathe again. I feel like the pressure in my chest is lifting. My ear pain is almost completely gone. CONS: Extreme fatigue, Severe body pain (hands, wrists, ankles and knees), Insomnia"

Anonymous December 20, 2011

"I had a severe allergic reaction within 1 1/2 hours of taking my first dose. Pounding heartbeat, redness and fainted for the first time in 57 years of life. I was rushed to the hospital and given steroids and Benadryl to counteract the effects. My blood pressure dropped from a normal 135/80 to 90/45. "

Joceephus June 4, 2011

"This medicine works great but the side effects are bad. "

Brutal but Works June 2, 2011

"My brother took this and felt very anxious, my only side effect is feeling super tired and kind of out of it. It really helped my cough and I think it is starting to help with my chronic sinus infection. I am allergic to Levaquin so I was nervous taking it since it is in the same drug family. I did not have the same reactions that I had when I was taking Levaquin. I have had 5 sinus infections in the past 6 months and the Z-pac has quit working....so overall things are getting better."

Anonymous April 4, 2011

"I was put on Avelox for a horrible sinus infection, and chest congestion. My doctor never mentioned any of the possible side effects. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I became very tired, weak, and I had heart palpitations and I had overwhelming anxiety. I am now on day 5, and the side effects have only progressed. The joint pain, and muscle cramping , heart fluttering, fatigue, muscle weakness, nausea, blurred vision, loss of appetite, and tremors are enough to scare anyone. It has helped my congestion and sinus infection, but there are other antibiotics that are just a good and so much safer. "

Anonymous March 17, 2011

"I took a second pill and had a severe reaction to it in less than 25 minutes. It started with nausea, hives, extremely dizzy and lightheaded, slurred speech, shortness of breath, rapid heart beat and rise in blood pressure and heart rate, severe anxiety and weakness. "

Anonymous March 2, 2011

"The only problem I have with this medication so far is how expensive it is. So far the only side effects I have had are a light-headed feeling. Similar to a feeling of an antihistimine with psuedophedrine in the mix. I am already starting to feel better."

Mandiski February 25, 2011

"Only took 1 dose so far, but already feeling better. Had bronchitis and upper respiratory tract infection for a month. Saw doctor yesterday and diagnosed me with sinus infection. Avelox 400mg 1/day would have been highest tier on my copay so she gave me full 10 days with samples. Worked amazingly well, though I felt real sleepy first hour. Could very well be that I'm SICK, not reacting. I'm allergic to other antibiotics (rash/hives) so this was a relief. MAKE NOTE OF THE MANY FOODS/DRUGS TO AVOID WHILE ON THIS. Others have posted their use of vitamins with it, but it clearly states to avoid them."

upstater February 4, 2011

"The medicine worked great to counter my sinusitis and I was breathing better after just one dose. But the side effects are almost unbearable. Nausea, dizziness, headache, lightheaded, dry mouth and constipation. The dizziness and lightheadedness kicks in after about an hour of taking the pill and lasts for about 5 hours. Very difficult to function normally and trying to work while taking this medicine. "

Anonymous January 12, 2011

"After 6 months of severe congestion, sinusitis, and bronchitis that triggered wheezing with my asthma, unsuccessfully treated with other antibiotics, my doctor prescribed Avelox. I can breathe and not wheezing and on my way to less congestion! I have not had side effects that preclude my stopping this medicine. Powerful and effective."

Releved January 9, 2011

"I have used Avelox twice before, and took it at night as my doctor said there might be dizziness or sleepiness. Then I didn't need it for several years until this week. On my third dose, my sinus infection already feels like it has gone, but I can't fall asleep and my thoughts are racing - I would say agitated. I'm not sure if I can take this for seven more days. "

HateMeds January 6, 2011

"I suffer from sinus/ear infections at least 2-3 times a year. My doctor first prescribed Augmentin but this only made my symptoms worse. After feeling miserable for 2 weeks my doctor then prescribed Avelox. Besides the jitteryness, rapid heartrate, and anxiousness, it worked wonders. This medicine cures symptoms quickly, but does have side effects. Everyone is different so be aware of your body and let your doctor know if you're uncomfortable."

Teacher in NYC December 27, 2010

"Recurring sinus infections sent me to the doctor again after a Z-pack didn't work. Brought home the Avelox and was scared to take it after reading other peoples' reactions and problems. Have taken three pills now and I am noticeably better. Sinus headache gone, and even my ears feel better too (reduced tinnitus.) Previously took Levaquin years ago and had some anxiety, so I was expecting not to feel good with the Avelox. Only problem thus far is minor nausea, but I just take it with food and stay upright and busy as to not notice the wooziness. No serious reaction and the nausea is tolerable so I will continue to take it."

Rinderoo December 26, 2010