User Reviews for Avelox

Learn more about Avelox.

Avelox review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 367 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Avelox to treat Sinusitis

Review by Toritori:

Numb hands for an hour, severe headache, blurry vision, rash on my arms. And this was with my first dosage. Doctor didn't even ask to see what previous antibiotics worked for me in the past. He just gave me Avelox and prednisone and said "on your way".

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by Hels bells:

A good target specific antibiotic for upper respiratory tract infection and lower respiratory tract infections together with sinusitis which works fast and I experienced no side effects bar taste being affected but only temporarily.

September 22, 2013 8:02 AM

Review by Kaiyasmom (taken for less than 1 month):

I took a 10 day dose 1 year ago for a sinus infection, and only remember feeling much better in a short time. Since I was already miserable, I don't remember having any adverse reactions. Recently, I got a 7 day dose for another sinus infection and an ear infection, and I felt good on day 3 and 4 with only mild nausea and dizziness. Taking it on a full stomach helped. I started to feel poor on day 5 and developed a terrible headache that lasted 2 days. By day 7, I developed severe fatigue, muscle, tendon and joint pain. I agree with other reviews, in that this is a very effective medicine, but the side effects can be severe. I am glad to hear that these go away in a few days.

May 30, 2013 10:48 PM

After second dose of Avelox, I broke out in hives. This is unfortunate, because I felt a world of difference (better) within 6 hours of taking the initial dose. Now that I've got hives, I am back to another antibiotic and I don't know if it will work as well.

February 6, 2013 8:00 PM

Review by netly (taken for less than 1 month):

I felt much better after just two days.

November 17, 2012 7:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffer from sinus infections about every two months that lead into bronchitis within days of the first symptom. Usually I get the Zpack but have been on Augmentin and Ceftin trying to find something that works better. This time the clinic doctor prescribed the Avelox and I am on day 3 right now, my sinuses are draining, and the tightness in my chest is better. Unfortunately I am getting horrible diarrhea now, which is not fun when you are coughing a lot.

June 24, 2012 6:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Avelox for 4 days now and my symptoms don't appear to be improving and I am still running a fever. If no improvement is seen by tomorrow I am going back to my Dr.

June 11, 2012 10:25 PM

Review by amiga:

If you take SSRI's (antidepressants) for anxiety and/or depression, watch it while on this medicine. In addition to the dizziness, lightheadedness, and stomach problems, it might reduce the overall effectiveness of your SSRI.

March 16, 2012 11:12 AM

The first three days on Avelox were difficult. It made me feel disoriented, dizzy and sleepy. I had to rearrange my days to accommodate a 2 hour nap everytime I took it. I got used to the medicine by day 4...so give it time. It cleared up my sinus and double ear infection which persisted after full courses of both Augmentin and Bactrim. Also, I did not feel better until about 4-5 days on the medicine, so don't feel discouraged if you don't feel great right away.

December 27, 2011 10:02 PM

On day 3 of 7 being treated for Pneumonia, Sinusitis and Ear Infection. PROS: I can breathe again. I feel like the pressure in my chest is lifting. My ear pain is almost completely gone. CONS: Extreme fatigue, Severe body pain (hands, wrists, ankles and knees), Insomnia

December 20, 2011 11:08 PM

Review by Joceephus:

I had a severe allergic reaction within 1 1/2 hours of taking my first dose. Pounding heartbeat, redness and fainted for the first time in 57 years of life. I was rushed to the hospital and given steroids and Benadryl to counteract the effects. My blood pressure dropped from a normal 135/80 to 90/45.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2011 5:20 PM

Review by Brutal but Works:

This medicine works great but the side effects are bad.

June 2, 2011 11:47 AM

My brother took this and felt very anxious, my only side effect is feeling super tired and kind of out of it. It really helped my cough and I think it is starting to help with my chronic sinus infection. I am allergic to Levaquin so I was nervous taking it since it is in the same drug family. I did not have the same reactions that I had when I was taking Levaquin. I have had 5 sinus infections in the past 6 months and the Z-pac has quit working....so overall things are getting better.

April 4, 2011 11:10 PM

I was put on Avelox for a horrible sinus infection, and chest congestion. My doctor never mentioned any of the possible side effects. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I became very tired, weak, and I had heart palpitations and I had overwhelming anxiety. I am now on day 5, and the side effects have only progressed. The joint pain, and muscle cramping , heart fluttering, fatigue, muscle weakness, nausea, blurred vision, loss of appetite, and tremors are enough to scare anyone. It has helped my congestion and sinus infection, but there are other antibiotics that are just a good and so much safer.

March 17, 2011 9:34 AM

I took a second pill and had a severe reaction to it in less than 25 minutes. It started with nausea, hives, extremely dizzy and lightheaded, slurred speech, shortness of breath, rapid heart beat and rise in blood pressure and heart rate, severe anxiety and weakness.

March 2, 2011 12:59 PM

Review by Mandiski:

The only problem I have with this medication so far is how expensive it is. So far the only side effects I have had are a light-headed feeling. Similar to a feeling of an antihistimine with psuedophedrine in the mix. I am already starting to feel better.

February 25, 2011 10:26 AM

Review by upstater:

Only took 1 dose so far, but already feeling better. Had bronchitis and upper respiratory tract infection for a month. Saw doctor yesterday and diagnosed me with sinus infection. Avelox 400mg 1/day would have been highest tier on my copay so she gave me full 10 days with samples. Worked amazingly well, though I felt real sleepy first hour. Could very well be that I'm SICK, not reacting. I'm allergic to other antibiotics (rash/hives) so this was a relief. MAKE NOTE OF THE MANY FOODS/DRUGS TO AVOID WHILE ON THIS. Others have posted their use of vitamins with it, but it clearly states to avoid them.

February 4, 2011 12:15 PM

The medicine worked great to counter my sinusitis and I was breathing better after just one dose. But the side effects are almost unbearable. Nausea, dizziness, headache, lightheaded, dry mouth and constipation. The dizziness and lightheadedness kicks in after about an hour of taking the pill and lasts for about 5 hours. Very difficult to function normally and trying to work while taking this medicine.

January 12, 2011 2:28 PM

Review by Releved:

After 6 months of severe congestion, sinusitis, and bronchitis that triggered wheezing with my asthma, unsuccessfully treated with other antibiotics, my doctor prescribed Avelox. I can breathe and not wheezing and on my way to less congestion! I have not had side effects that preclude my stopping this medicine. Powerful and effective.

January 9, 2011 4:11 PM

Review by HateMeds:

I have used Avelox twice before, and took it at night as my doctor said there might be dizziness or sleepiness. Then I didn't need it for several years until this week. On my third dose, my sinus infection already feels like it has gone, but I can't fall asleep and my thoughts are racing - I would say agitated. I'm not sure if I can take this for seven more days.

January 6, 2011 1:03 AM

Review by Teacher in NYC:

I suffer from sinus/ear infections at least 2-3 times a year. My doctor first prescribed Augmentin but this only made my symptoms worse. After feeling miserable for 2 weeks my doctor then prescribed Avelox. Besides the jitteryness, rapid heartrate, and anxiousness, it worked wonders. This medicine cures symptoms quickly, but does have side effects. Everyone is different so be aware of your body and let your doctor know if you're uncomfortable.

December 27, 2010 4:57 PM

Review by Rinderoo:

Recurring sinus infections sent me to the doctor again after a Z-pack didn't work. Brought home the Avelox and was scared to take it after reading other peoples' reactions and problems. Have taken three pills now and I am noticeably better. Sinus headache gone, and even my ears feel better too (reduced tinnitus.) Previously took Levaquin years ago and had some anxiety, so I was expecting not to feel good with the Avelox. Only problem thus far is minor nausea, but I just take it with food and stay upright and busy as to not notice the wooziness. No serious reaction and the nausea is tolerable so I will continue to take it.

December 26, 2010 2:25 PM

After just two doses, I experienced sharp pain in my Achilles heels. Couldn't walk up stairs without having twinges in tendons. Unfortunately, I experienced the side effects.

December 15, 2010 5:22 AM

Have had 2 sinus surgeries in the past 5 years. This is the first sinus infection since my last surgery (2 months of sinus infection) and I just started Avelox yesterday. So far not much of a side effect, have some nausea (but that sure beats another surgery). Good luck all.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2010 1:49 PM

It must be my body but this medicine works within 30 minutes to an hour after ingestion. This is fast acting per the information I researched. I only had a sinus infection in my left nostril and it cleared up where I was able to breath through my nose without an issue. I used to carry around tissue for this purpose. No side effects for me.

November 13, 2010 2:37 PM