User Reviews for Avelox

Learn more about Avelox.

Avelox review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 174 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Avelox to treat Pneumonia

Review by sick mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Am on day six of 10 course for pneumonia. Had a injectable at Dr. Office and then oral meds. Noticed major improvement in coughing and wheezing in 48 hours. Nearly all pneumonia symptoms now abated. Have had major side effects. No appetite, severe dizziness and confusion (just trying to answer work email has been a challenge). I've also experienced constipation and very bad acid reflux. Overall very effective but I'm pretty incapacitated by the side effects.

November 24, 2013 2:35 AM

Review by AlwaysSick:(:

It took me two whole days of agony and suffering pneumonia while thinking whether to take this medicine or not, the reviews and side effects are terrifying. But I got over it and took the pill: Here's what I did. Everyday at 1pm I eat something not too heavy but satisfying, then at 2pm I take the pill with a whole 500ml water bottle. Avoid iron, multivitamins and all that, also avoid dairy unless you're fine with having to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the day. I didn't get any side effects. I'm drinking a lot of water, I'm eating well, eating lots of fruits and most importantly, I'm resting. On day 4 of 7 now, and I can safely say that this medicine really does work so well feeling so much better with clear lungs. Good luck.

September 25, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by bmundy:

I was surprised that the 1st night I noticed a huge difference in how I felt. I have not had any of the side effects that are listed except for being tired. I am on day 6 and I am still amazed on how it does work. The cost is the only thing I do not like about this medicine. But if I had to take it again I would.

June 11, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by another jonesy:

While the side effects given makes a nervous-making read, I've been lucky in having no noticeable side effects. On day 9 of 10. Had gone to ER, felt like I was drowning, could not breathe well, not enough oxygen. They put me on an inhaler to dilate bronchia, started me on Avelox, I got an Albuterol inhaler next morning. Started feeling much better day 2. Had a bit of coughing now and then clearing phlegm. Only concern is how they tell pneumonia is actually gone, apart from symptom relief.

May 4, 2013 12:48 AM

Review by Mt25 (taken for less than 1 month):

Developed pneumonia after a bad case of influenza that kept increasing my fever over 8 days. Almost went to the ER as I have another neurological condition, but was able to see my doctor again. Pneumonia has developed and Avelox was prescribed along with the continuation of my other medicines. As my voice had not been present for days, I had noticed a huge improvement within 12hrs already. I would say for me and my other health concerns and for not having much of an appetite during this illness, this medicine is bringing me back to normal fast. Good luck to whomever needs this and needs to feel better ASAP.

December 18, 2012 6:18 AM

Review by Toronto guy:

This is an amazing medicine. By day 2, I was feeling significantly well. Notwithstanding, the side-effects of the medication for me personally are not comfortable: sore kidneys in the morning, stomach upset, intestinal discomfort, headaches and muscle soreness. However, I realize that it's really important to finish my dosage (7 day supply) and I'm on day 4. This feels like a powerful antibiotic in my system and I'm aware that it is effective against resistant gram positive and negative bacterial infections. 3 more days....yay.

April 22, 2012 11:31 AM

Review by princess72:

I am allergic to penicillin so the next course of meds for me is Biaxin for everything. I had Pneumonia in Nov and they gave me two bottles of antibiotics before I felt somewhat better, however, the cough kind of lingered on a little but the breathing was the worst. Ended up at urgent care 3 times in March and first time, asthma and they gave me inhalers even though I disagree, 2nd trip, Singulair for sinuses and an inhaler, 3rd trip, two inhalers and Biaxin, last trip and at this point beyond mad because I couldn't breath, I couldn't go anywhere as I'd use my inhaler sometimes 10 times a day. Finally, she put me on a powder puffer and Alevox. I just finished the Alevox yesterday and haven't felt this good since last September. It's my miracle.

April 12, 2012 5:01 AM

I am on my sixth day of Avelex 400mg for pneumonia. I have noticed a big change in my breathing and I do feel better. Still counting down to the last 4. Mostly because after I take it, I start feeling depressed, ill, tired, and still can not eat or drink much. So I dehydrated to the point that I could not understand what people were saying. Nothing made any sense. That is better now, but still get confused, dizzy, lightheaded when I walk depressed and so on.

April 4, 2012 8:15 PM

Review by nursemike64:

I am a FT RN working in an infectious disease unit. I am consistently exposed to respiratory viruses during the winter months; meningitis, encephalitis, and abscesses in the summer months; with a little variety thrown in here and there (asthma, pneumonia, kawasakis, septic babies, etc). I recently came down with a nasty RLL PNA and was prescribed this Avelox 400 mg, on day 14 of 20. Thus far, I have noticed tremendous improvement, but I am not 100% quite yet. Yes, the side effects/warnings can be scary, but the only thing I have noticed is fatigue and muscle/tenseness. Benefits always have to outweigh the risk, and I believe this medicine can keep many of us out of hospital bed and on the road to recovery quickly.

September 8, 2011 12:06 AM

Review by Maahhk:

Amazing stuff. After 1 pill I coughed up stuff that would scare Dr. House, but felt much better immediately. I will live with mild side effects considering that pneumonia can kill you or cause permanent damage. 3 doses left and I continue to practice breathing deeply and slowly. I'm grateful for medicines like these.

August 31, 2011 10:21 AM

Review by austin110:

I've been on a 7 day schedule of the Avelox, it has worked pretty well to clear up the bacterial infection on my lung. However, I have experienced pretty bad diarrhea that started about 3 days into the schedule. The rest of the symptoms have been mild such as nausea, feeling cloudy, etc. I am really looking forward to taking the last pill, this medicines side effects are not too pleasant.

August 13, 2011 9:58 PM

Severe dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, feeling out of it, shortness of breath.

July 5, 2011 8:12 PM

I am on Day 2 with Avelox for pneumonia. Worst side effect for me is the nausea. It hits hard and fast. I do feel a difference in my breathing, but my stomach is so riled up now that it is difficult to even move. So far no other side effects.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2011 11:03 AM

Review by dazzdave:

Causes abdominal pain and un-coordination. I usually tolerate medicines well, but not Avelox. I'm on 4th day of usage and can't wait till the last dose. Good luck and get well everyone.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2011 1:51 PM

Felt it start to open my lungs after the first dose. Oh but how dizzy and nauseated I felt. Side effects wear down towards the end of the day (about 10pm...I take the pill at about 9am). Powerful medicine, QUICK results, pretty strong side effects.

February 19, 2011 10:52 PM

I'm on my 11th day (out of 20 days) taking Avelox and it works, beside having a headache and shortness breathing everything seems to be working great. After 10 days of taking it my pneumonia was 75% better.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2011 2:46 AM

Hope things work out for the best. Have taken this medicine in the past for severe bout of pneumonia and bronchitis. It worked EXCELLENT! After just about the second day, lungs, breathing, cough, all were much better. That was about two years ago. Recently developed same set of symptoms, Physician prescribed Avelox..Am hoping it works as well this time as last time. Side effects are common, but well worth it when this medicine works, it works great and fast at getting you well.

September 25, 2010 4:37 PM

Review by techman707:

I have taken this medication many times for pneumonia and bronchitis infections. While it appears to work well, I am concerned about building resistance to this medication.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2010 6:35 AM

I felt much, much better after taking Avelox for 5 days, I did not notice any side effects with it. Three days after I stoped taking it, my symptoms came back and I think my doctor should've had me take it for 10 days, not 5 like she did.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2010 3:45 PM

My doctor gave me Avelox after Zithromax didn't work. I am on my 3rd day (out of 10) and I have been feeling better everyday. I went online and the reviews for this medicine can be very scary. I am happy to say that the only side effect I have experienced is slight insomnia. Which is frustrating because I am EXHAUSTED at around 7:30pm but I wind up in my bed (awake) until about 12. Frustrating, yes, but the medicine seems to be working so I can't complain too much.

August 4, 2010 7:23 AM

I felt good the next day after one pill, my chest felt better, but the side effects scare me. I get quick light headed and dizzy the whole time on this drug I could not sleep, I felt very restless. But the medicine cleared up my lungs.

July 19, 2010 5:13 PM

Review by shayson3:

I just finished taking this after a 6 day period for pneumonia. It was all fine, except for the restless leg syndrome at night, but that I could handle with an iron pill. The last day I took it I woke up in the middle of the night with severe itching, I took a shower, changed my bed sheets, used lotion and topical creams. I took 2 Benadryl and nothing worked! The only good thing, is my symptoms dissipated after a couple of days!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2010 1:57 PM

It was a very effective drug, however, the side effects listed made it a bit scary to take, but it all worked out in the end.

November 4, 2009 4:58 PM

Review by theles:

I am on day 5 of ten days @ 400mg for pneumonia/bronchitis/sinusitis. I am also taking codeine syrup as needed for cough and pain. Each day I have noticed improvement in the infection in my sinuses and lungs, which means it is, so far, quite worth it for me. The side effects for me are drowsiness for about 4-5 hours after taking the pill, then some nervousness and jitteriness after the drowsiness wears off. No other side effects. So, for me, it has been a very effective medicine, without enough side effects to override the clear benefits. I have been avoiding: dairy, taking vitamins. I've been eating foods such as oatmeal, apples, granola bars, chicken noodle soup, etc. Have had no stomach problems, nausea, etc.

October 19, 2009 2:58 PM

The first two days of taking Avelox were the worst for me; terrible headache and weakness. On the third day the headache was not as severe. I ended up having an upset stomach for the entire ten days. However, I can breath better but I did look forward to taking that last pill.

February 1, 2009 1:29 PM