User Reviews for Avelox

Learn more about Avelox.

Avelox review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Avelox to treat Bronchitis

Review by nikiww (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed this after a sinus infection turned into bronchitis. The take with food sign on the bottle should be in bold letters. I took the pill before my breakfast and threw up thirty minutes later. You need food in your stomach before the pill. This pill is the only pill that helps cure my horrible sinus infections. Eat first and you should be fine.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by onejap (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin failed to get rid of bronchitis. Switched to Avelox. No side effects, by the 2nd day, felt much better, got rid of congested feeling. It made me sweat more than usual, but sweating was nothing compared to menopausal hot flashes.

April 10, 2013 4:22 PM

This is very strong medication. I came from abroad with a bronchial infection and had to see my doctor. Cephalaxin and Clarithromycin prescribed to me abroad by doctors apparently could not suppress the infection and my doctor put me on Avelox on a 7 day course. I finished the course with great reluctance yesterday. It did relieve the symptoms to a great degree, but the side effects have been severe. I have severe loss of appetite, continue to be nauseous, lethargic, experience loss of energy and became dizzy. I had extremely uncomfortable palpitations, tightness and pain in the chest throughout the course, and several sleepless nights. I have lost nearly 5 pounds over the seven days.

August 22, 2012 8:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had bronchitis that I thought went away after a Zpak. It was back within a few weeks, so I went back and got put on 10 days of cephalexin. Day 6 I was still coughing all night (and lots of the day), so I got some samples of Avelox. I was a little scared after reading some of the horror stories, but I couldn't stand the coughing anymore and I was willing to try whatever. I am on Day 3. The medicine (I think?) makes me sweat and feel a little "off" for a couple hours after I take it, but other than that, I am pleased to report no side effects (knocking on wood!) and a dramatic reduction in coughing. I take it after lunch and am drinking LOTS of fluids (as per instructions) and I am amazed at how well it seems to be working.

June 25, 2012 11:32 AM

I was prescribed Avelox for 7 days for bronchitis, so far so good, the only side effect was a little dizziness and nausea.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2012 9:15 PM

Review by StardustSteve:

Switched from Cednifir to Avelox on day 4 of treatment. Seemed to be a more potent medicine and reduced symptoms quickly. Only side effect was a sped up metabolic euphoria feeling borderlining as being a low anxiety attack. But was able to perform my job which requires constant and close contact with the public.

February 7, 2012 1:38 AM

Found this to be a very intense medicine. I am 64 and have a history of chronic bronchitis due to non repaired scoliosis and am quite susceptible to respiratory issues. On day 1 and 2 my chest and the ability to breathe was tight and restricted on day 3 much improvement but followed with severe abdominal cramping and nausea with dry mouth. I have lost 6 pounds and feel quite weak and dread the next dose. I am on it for 10 days.

January 7, 2012 7:23 AM

Caused me to have hives, can't take it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2010 2:11 PM

Review by JRandolphT:

It is one of the most powerful medications I have taken for an infection but it works immediately - which rocks! Yet I wondered why I had trouble sleeping, felt anxious (almost to the point of anxiety attack) and nauseated. Now I know it was a side effect. It's good but be prepared for some of the side effects.

May 31, 2010 12:33 PM

I was prescribed 5 days of Avelox for bronchitis/sinusitis. Seems to have cleared up all the green mucuous, but the cough lingered for another week. Another possible side effect is tremendous pain/swelling in my Achilles tendon. Don't know if this was caused by Avelox, but have been doing some research and that is a possibility. I will be going back to the doctor tomorrow for follow up, as I can barely walk.

February 15, 2010 12:09 AM

I had the H1N1 flu and then developed Bronchitis. After 3 days of taking Avelox, I had hives all over my body. I stopped the medicine 5 days ago and still have hives. The bronchitis seems to be gone. I also experience pains in my muscles and weakness and tightness in my chest and palpitations. I don't think I will be taking this medicine again.

December 28, 2009 11:27 AM

Avelox did promptly clear up bronchitis and sinusitis. My ankles were so swollen that I could only wear loose fitting houseshoes for the 10 day treatment time. It made me feel jittery and caused abdominal cramps.

November 29, 2009 2:33 AM

Review by Stephanie1955:

I have COPD so when I get Bronchitis it knocks me for a loop! Because we moved, we had to find a new doctor. Low and behold I get Bronchitis. He prescribed Avelox and to say it was a God send is an understatement. I personally haven't had any side effect and on the second day there was a distinct slow down in my coughing. Now I tell everyone who believes they have an URI or Bronchitis to ask their doctor for the Avelox. I just pray I never grow immune to it!

November 25, 2009 4:48 PM

Review by thrilled so far!:

A week after I had the H1N1 "swine" flu, I was having trouble breathing (bronchitis or pneumonia?) and the ER doctor prescribed 400 mg Avelox for six days. By the third day I was breathing much clearer, and now at day five it seems I can breathe deeper than I think I have in years. In fact, I think my lungs are a little sore from the good deep-breathing exercise! A great benefit has been that the Avelox has also been clearing up a chronic sinus infection that I've had for years (even after surgery) - the pressure headache is gone, and the post-nasal drip is barely noticeable now. I am not having any side effects that I can attribute directly to the medicine that I know of. So far so good; thank you Avelox!

November 14, 2009 1:03 AM

Review by Ashlei:

So far I'm on day two and my coughing has almost stopped. I've had a cough for 3 weeks, but it got worse almost overnight with a fever of 102 and chills three days ago. My doctor said I had a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, and bronchitis. I can already tell this antibiotic really works, with only a little dizziness for a side effect.

October 22, 2009 10:10 AM

Review by Thesky:

Wonder drug in my opinion. It cleared me up in 2.5 days and I discontinued use. I almost didn't believe I actually WAS sick in the first place because of how quickly it worked... I thought maybe it was allergy? Skeptic and Non- compliant patient, I know. It came back 3 weeks later.... I'm not as successful this time around.... day 4 and not much relief yet... but I WILL continue the 10 days this time. I learned my lesson.

September 24, 2009 2:02 PM

I am 32 yrs old, and have no allergies to anything. After taking this drug I had depression, hallucinations and very odd thoughts, and felt no consequences to anything I did...so I looked up the side effects, and I had almost everyone. I went to another doctor and she advised me that this drug has profound mental side effects in adults.

September 2, 2009 9:54 AM

This antibiotic made my heart race so much that I didn't sleep the first night. Called my doctor the next day and he changed the medicine because that side effect wasn't one that I could live with.

May 17, 2009 5:50 PM

Very effective, improved breathing in first two doses. On the 3 and 4th day too strong, making me feel sick again and causing diarrhea.

March 22, 2009 4:31 PM

Review by sameolddave:

Great for sinus infections and bronchitis, but it appears to lose its effectiveness after repeated uses. I had to try something else. Nonetheless, I particularly like its lack of side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2008 7:49 PM

It started working in the 1st 24 hours. By the 3rd day I was fine.

October 30, 2008 6:19 PM

Review by dannysmom:

Had a bad case of bronchitis, very good drug, only side effect was nervousness. But I'd rather have the jitters than bronchitis anyday!

August 18, 2008 10:11 PM

Review by Jazzy_Gal:

Avelox works! I had a sinus infection and bronchitis for over eight weeks. During that time I had taken a full course of amoxicillin, followed by a full course of doxycycline. Neither of them had any effect on me and I was just getting worse. Then my doctor prescribed Avelox and within a couple days the sinus infection symptoms had disappeared. A few days later my coughing had subsided dramatically. I'm so glad my doctor prescribed Avelox for me...it really works!

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2007 11:41 AM