User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

Review by dcubed:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Have had generalized and social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Was on Klonopin 1.0 to 1.5 mg twice a day (about 15 years) along with propranolol 20 mg twice a day. I decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to try to wean myself off Klonopin as getting a script every month for Klonopin is a pain. I started Remeron 5 months ago at 15mg than 22.5mg and in no time my anxiety level went down. I was also on Vyvanse to counter depression from long term Klonopin which I replaced with Wellbutrin. With Remeron/Wellbutrin combination I am down to 0.5mg twice a day Klonopin which I never dreamed was possible. I plan on going on Lyrica or Neurontin to help wean off Klonopin for good.

August 13, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by blableblabla:

After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back.

July 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems.

June 16, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

After being prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro, etc., over the past 5 years for my "anxiety", I finally found this medication actually chills my constant anxiety. Mind you, I have never been depressed. I take it at night before bed (15 mg), and it slowly puts me to sleep, unlike Ambien. I do have vivid dreams but I wake up feeling well rested and with energy. Unlike Ambien, which stayed with me the next day and zapped my energy. I say, please give this a try for your anxiety. If you are more depressed, you might need another medicine. I found all the antidepressants I've tried for my anxiety, make me more anxious and oddly, depressed. I hope this helps those with mild to moderate anxiety, as it did myself.

May 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by draxlerjasmine (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started on Zoloft, which only made the anxiety worse. Got put on Remeron after a hospital stay and it has changed my life. Started at 15mg and then shortly after increasing to 30mg. I did gain 30lbs on it due to craving sweets constantly so I tried switching to Effexor, only again having my anxiety going out of control again. I went back on Remeron 30mg and I am back to my old self. I sleep very well on this medication which for me is so much nicer despite the weight gain.

May 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by braddo1972:

At first it was great for sleep which is the cause of my anxiety. I'm having some good night's and a couple of bad nights more good than bad.

April 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed venalfaxine and after 10 days I experienced terrifying symptoms. I stopped taking it immediately, to the annoyance of the psychiatrist who had given it. He then prescribed mirtazapine which I took at 15mg for 2 weeks with some success. After 10 days on Mirt I had three nights of heigtened anxiety, although nothing as bad as before taking the mirt. The psychiatrist then suggested upping my mirt to 30mg. I did this for 2 nights and felt dreadful. Last night I reverted to 15mg and I intend to stay on it. I think it is worth remembering that taking drugs that 'mess with our heads' is not like taking pain killers. If 15mg is good it does not mean that 30mg is better.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Johnnie from Sydney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking 15 mg at night about 6 weeks ago for anxiety/insomnia and mood problems. I started to feel some relief after just a few and have begun to feel a lot better as time goes on, my doctor advised me to increase my dosage to 30 mg (1 pill) after 2 weeks but I found it was too much for me and got quite overwhelmed by the way I felt whilst at work one day which was not a pleasant experience! However since going back down to half a tablet each night things have really leveled out for me! My anxiety is much much lower and I don't feel depressed at all. At present, for me the best part is being able to sleep well most nights as lack of sleep was becoming a real problem, do have to watch my food and alcohol intake but that's a good thing!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by PunkBear (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medicine has been awesome for me. Depression and anxiety seemed to just go away after about a month. I started on 7.5mg then slowly went up to 30mgs. Don't mix with alcohol. And being a writer...the dreams (very vivid) are inspiring and wonderful to experience.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by danny890456 (taken for less than 1 month):

So far so good.... been on all sorts of anti depressants and this one works the best! No sexual decrease like others. I do want to eat all the time but I work out and am very active. I sleep so much better now and my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. I was also prescribed 2mg Valuim which I rarely take now because of Remeron. Been taking 4 weeks now.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 1:13 PM

I have been put on many different anxiety medicines for the past 20 years now, many with bad side affects, then Dr. tried me on mirtazapine 3 years ago. I love this medicine. It is the only one that works for me with no side effects. I only weigh 100 lbs and take 45 mg a night with no side effects at all from the start of taking it 3 years ago. I sleep like a baby and wake up full of energy.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2013 10:25 AM

Review by Sal King:

I am taking mirtazapine for anxiety for the past 5 months now. After 3 weeks of start of this medicine, my anxiety was gone until couple days ago. All of a sudden I started getting anxiety attacks and palpitations. It feels like the effect of medicine is gone. I am seeing my doctor in a week and lets see what he suggests. Currently taking Xanax to control my anxiety. I have experienced that whenever I have anxiety, 5 minutes of workout (treadmill or fast walking) it does help relieve my anxiety. Try it.

September 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by User 2013 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirtazapine its amazing medicine my anxiety and depression its all gone now. This medicine is 10/10.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 2:46 PM

Review by Tiny1984:

At first Remeron was amazing. Felt so much better in a short period of time. After being on it approximately 6 weeks I began to develop horrible leg pain. Random joint pain in elbows, hands, knees. My fingers also started to swell. As soon as I was off and out of my system these side effects went away. If not for the side effects I would still be on it. I've just about run the line with these medicines and don't seem to tolerate any very well.

September 8, 2013 5:11 PM

Review by Kenia Downing (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was originally put on this to boost my poor appetite----and accidentally changed my life for the better! I sleep through the night, don't have that drugged feeling, I don't get road rage or stress anymore but can still fully feel all human emotions when pressed, including anxiety and anger. Just on a more normal scale.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 4:31 AM

Review by pam mc t:

Eating all the time hope this goes when I can go outside by myself.

July 28, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by sdunn1984:

I started with minor anxiety attacks then kept going up to the point that I ended up at the hospital many times. I thought I was having a heart attack but to find out later that it was anxiety. My Dr prescribe me mirtazapine and after a few weeks most signs of anxiety where gone. I also take sleeping pills for chronic insomnia. They didn't help at all with the anxiety problems, but once I started mirtazapine I noticed a big change and it helps with my sleeping problems as well. If you have major panic attacks ask your DR. if mirtazapine is an option for you because in my case it helped so much. I was able to go back to work and I wasn't afraid to go out in public places like I was when a victim of anxiety attacks.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2013 7:34 PM

Review by Mikeg123123:

Only been on 15 mg for a week now and just upped to 30mg. Warning do not mix this with alcohol when you first start you will not be able to walk. Take this at night. Fantastic sleep aid and WOW, Such vivid crazy and wonderful dreams. For me so far 10 times better than any SSRI antidepressant. I've probably been taking anxiety medicine for the last 6 years. This medicine should be first line prescription when anxiety is presented. Also taking 300 mg pregabalin at the moment, once a day which I quite like. I'll rate again in a month or two but for now it's a Definite 10!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by chick765827 (taken for less than 1 month):

I loved this medication, but sadly after taking it for 2 weeks I had the worst menstrual pain in my life. So I re-tried it after that time of the month and the next menstrual cycle was the same, but this medicine made the panic attacks go away, I slept well, my appetite improved, and my mood lifted. The first week is the worst. On it you feel like a zombie but that goes away. I tried all the SSRI's and they made me SO sick...severe nausea, diarrhea, headaches, sweating, felt crazy, made my panic very severe. I wish so much that I could take Remeron it would have saved my life I am sure I felt great on it except the menstrual side effects and the doctor said I couldn't take it for that reason.

May 25, 2013 9:45 AM

Review by yea:

I've been taking the medicine for 1 week now. I read all the stories but for me it works great. I sleep more, less anxious, my appetite now.... check this out I used to wake up starving, eating until I fell back to sleep. Would wake up at 5 every morning like clock work, I hated it. Now on the medicine, I don't wake up hungry.

April 6, 2013 9:27 AM

Review by Mimsy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Have been on 30mg mirtazapine for almost a year now, it has made my anxiety stop completely.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 6:56 AM

Review by glad I'm off (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Remeron (mirtazapine): Remeron worked for me for maybe a month or so, but I then began becoming very angry and full of rage for very little reason, if any! I had expressed my feelings with my Dr. and he said he was not really familiar with these side effects. After a few weeks, I realized I should google these feelings and wow. Exactly the same feelings I was going through.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2012 10:56 AM

Review by Dormarie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken this medicine for 7 years. Gained lots of weight, now on Weight Watchers Diet and lost 16lbs so far. Very happy now. At 45mg had bad restless legs, reduced to 30mg and sleep great 9 or 10 hours. Had intolerable insomnia my entire life before. Wonder what would happen if reduced it to 15 mg. Also added 20 mg Prozac for daytime energy and works great.

November 6, 2012 3:07 PM

Review by lolander (taken for 10 years or more):

Remeron (mirtazapine): Improved the physical and mental symptoms I had with anxiety/depression but in a reduced dose. More than 10 mg would keep me too drowsy and make me forgetful. I have been on it for 19 years and have tried to get off it several times but my physical symptoms (stomach cramping) return after a few days. The generic form was far less effective. Does cause constipation with me.

October 19, 2012 9:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed mirtazapine 3 days ago for anxiety, I was losing weight and not sleeping very well, I feel better already, sleeping well and eating more (which is a good thing for me as I want to gain 14 lbs) haven't had any side effects as yet.

October 17, 2012 4:01 PM