User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

Review by braddo1972: User Rating:

mirtazapine: At first it was great for sleep which is the cause of my anxiety. I'm having some good night's and a couple of bad nights more good than bad.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 4:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I was prescribed venalfaxine and after 10 days I experienced terrifying symptoms. I stopped taking it immediately, to the annoyance of the psychiatrist who had given it. He then prescribed mirtazapine which I took at 15mg for 2 weeks with some success. After 10 days on Mirt I had three nights of heigtened anxiety, although nothing as bad as before taking the mirt. The psychiatrist then suggested upping my mirt to 30mg. I did this for 2 nights and felt dreadful. Last night I reverted to 15mg and I intend to stay on it. I think it is worth remembering that taking drugs that 'mess with our heads' is not like taking pain killers. If 15mg is good it does not mean that 30mg is better.

January 20, 2014 12:43 PM
Review by Johnnie from Sydney (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I started taking 15 mg at night about 6 weeks ago for anxiety/insomnia and mood problems. I started to feel some relief after just a few and have begun to feel a lot better as time goes on, my doctor advised me to increase my dosage to 30 mg (1 pill) after 2 weeks but I found it was too much for me and got quite overwhelmed by the way I felt whilst at work one day which was not a pleasant experience! However since going back down to half a tablet each night things have really leveled out for me! My anxiety is much much lower and I don't feel depressed at all. At present, for me the best part is being able to sleep well most nights as lack of sleep was becoming a real problem, do have to watch my food and alcohol intake but that's a good thing!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 4, 2014 10:46 PM
Review by PunkBear (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

mirtazapine: This medicine has been awesome for me. Depression and anxiety seemed to just go away after about a month. I started on 7.5mg then slowly went up to 30mgs. Don't mix with alcohol. And being a writer...the dreams (very vivid) are inspiring and wonderful to experience.

December 26, 2013 12:50 AM
Review by danny890456 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: So far so good.... been on all sorts of anti depressants and this one works the best! No sexual decrease like others. I do want to eat all the time but I work out and am very active. I sleep so much better now and my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. I was also prescribed 2mg Valuim which I rarely take now because of Remeron. Been taking 4 weeks now.

December 11, 2013 1:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

mirtazapine: I have been put on many different anxiety medicines for the past 20 years now, many with bad side affects, then Dr. tried me on mirtazapine 3 years ago. I love this medicine. It is the only one that works for me with no side effects. I only weigh 100 lbs and take 45 mg a night with no side effects at all from the start of taking it 3 years ago. I sleep like a baby and wake up full of energy.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 24, 2013 10:25 AM
Review by Sal King: User Rating:

mirtazapine: I am taking mirtazapine for anxiety for the past 5 months now. After 3 weeks of start of this medicine, my anxiety was gone until couple days ago. All of a sudden I started getting anxiety attacks and palpitations. It feels like the effect of medicine is gone. I am seeing my doctor in a week and lets see what he suggests. Currently taking Xanax to control my anxiety. I have experienced that whenever I have anxiety, 5 minutes of workout (treadmill or fast walking) it does help relieve my anxiety. Try it.

September 25, 2013 7:44 PM
Review by User 2013 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: Mirtazapine its amazing medicine my anxiety and depression its all gone now. This medicine is 10/10.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 18, 2013 2:46 PM
Review by Tiny1984: User Rating:

mirtazapine: At first Remeron was amazing. Felt so much better in a short period of time. After being on it approximately 6 weeks I began to develop horrible leg pain. Random joint pain in elbows, hands, knees. My fingers also started to swell. As soon as I was off and out of my system these side effects went away. If not for the side effects I would still be on it. I've just about run the line with these medicines and don't seem to tolerate any very well.

September 8, 2013 5:11 PM
Review by Kenia Downing (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I was originally put on this to boost my poor appetite----and accidentally changed my life for the better! I sleep through the night, don't have that drugged feeling, I don't get road rage or stress anymore but can still fully feel all human emotions when pressed, including anxiety and anger. Just on a more normal scale.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 1, 2013 4:31 AM
Review by pam mc t: User Rating:

mirtazapine: Eating all the time hope this goes when I can go outside by myself.

July 28, 2013 8:09 PM
Review by sdunn1984: User Rating:

mirtazapine: I started with minor anxiety attacks then kept going up to the point that I ended up at the hospital many times. I thought I was having a heart attack but to find out later that it was anxiety. My Dr prescribe me mirtazapine and after a few weeks most signs of anxiety where gone. I also take sleeping pills for chronic insomnia. They didn't help at all with the anxiety problems, but once I started mirtazapine I noticed a big change and it helps with my sleeping problems as well. If you have major panic attacks ask your DR. if mirtazapine is an option for you because in my case it helped so much. I was able to go back to work and I wasn't afraid to go out in public places like I was when a victim of anxiety attacks.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 21, 2013 7:34 PM
Review by Mikeg123123: User Rating:

mirtazapine: Only been on 15 mg for a week now and just upped to 30mg. Warning do not mix this with alcohol when you first start you will not be able to walk. Take this at night. Fantastic sleep aid and WOW, Such vivid crazy and wonderful dreams. For me so far 10 times better than any SSRI antidepressant. I've probably been taking anxiety medicine for the last 6 years. This medicine should be first line prescription when anxiety is presented. Also taking 300 mg pregabalin at the moment, once a day which I quite like. I'll rate again in a month or two but for now it's a Definite 10!

June 15, 2013 1:23 AM
Review by chick765827 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I loved this medication, but sadly after taking it for 2 weeks I had the worst menstrual pain in my life. So I re-tried it after that time of the month and the next menstrual cycle was the same, but this medicine made the panic attacks go away, I slept well, my appetite improved, and my mood lifted. The first week is the worst. On it you feel like a zombie but that goes away. I tried all the SSRI's and they made me SO sick...severe nausea, diarrhea, headaches, sweating, felt crazy, made my panic very severe. I wish so much that I could take Remeron it would have saved my life I am sure I felt great on it except the menstrual side effects and the doctor said I couldn't take it for that reason.

May 25, 2013 9:45 AM
Review by yea: User Rating:

mirtazapine: I've been taking the medicine for 1 week now. I read all the stories but for me it works great. I sleep more, less anxious, my appetite now.... check this out I used to wake up starving, eating until I fell back to sleep. Would wake up at 5 every morning like clock work, I hated it. Now on the medicine, I don't wake up hungry.

April 6, 2013 9:27 AM
Review by Mimsy (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

mirtazapine: Have been on 30mg mirtazapine for almost a year now, it has made my anxiety stop completely.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 13, 2013 6:56 AM
Review by glad I'm off (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Remeron worked for me for maybe a month or so, but I then began becoming very angry and full of rage for very little reason, if any! I had expressed my feelings with my Dr. and he said he was not really familiar with these side effects. After a few weeks, I realized I should google these feelings and wow. Exactly the same feelings I was going through.

November 16, 2012 10:56 AM
Review by Dormarie (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I have taken this medicine for 7 years. Gained lots of weight, now on Weight Watchers Diet and lost 16lbs so far. Very happy now. At 45mg had bad restless legs, reduced to 30mg and sleep great 9 or 10 hours. Had intolerable insomnia my entire life before. Wonder what would happen if reduced it to 15 mg. Also added 20 mg Prozac for daytime energy and works great.

November 6, 2012 3:07 PM
Review by lolander (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Improved the physical and mental symptoms I had with anxiety/depression but in a reduced dose. More than 10 mg would keep me too drowsy and make me forgetful. I have been on it for 19 years and have tried to get off it several times but my physical symptoms (stomach cramping) return after a few days. The generic form was far less effective. Does cause constipation with me.

October 19, 2012 9:33 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I was prescribed mirtazapine 3 days ago for anxiety, I was losing weight and not sleeping very well, I feel better already, sleeping well and eating more (which is a good thing for me as I want to gain 14 lbs) haven't had any side effects as yet.

October 17, 2012 4:01 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I was prescribed this by my new doctor for severe anxiety and resultant depression of two years. Sleep had been disturbed and appetite was very low. I had lost 12Kg (63 to 51) in two years and was not myself. I have been taking it for 8 days and I am feeling better, eating and looking forward to my future again. I take before I sleep - sleep is sound but vivid dreams (not bad, just stranger than usual). This is okay as previously I had very distressing dreams. It has not affected my libido as the SSRI I tried last year did. Feeling more positive and relaxed on Mirtazepine.

August 17, 2012 1:03 PM
Review by PeggyF. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): For many years I've have been juggling medicines from Lexapro, Xanax, Zoloft, along with Lunesta for sleep. Had anxiety along with depression, couldn't sleep and was losing weight. 3 weeks ago my doctor prescribed Remeron to me and within a week I was like a new person. Depression and anxiety lessen and my sleep is great. This has been a miracle for me. Yes I am gaining weight but I needed to. My quality of life is so much better.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 15, 2012 6:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): I've been on this medicine for about 2 years now. I started out on it for anxiety/depression at 15mg. It worked great for a while. My depression is gone but my anxiety still has its times where it is bad and uncontrollable. After about a year my dose was increased to 30mg for anxiety. It worked great again this time for a couple of months, but it still creeped back. After awhile I was seeing a new psychiatrist and she tried putting me on Fluvoximine to try getting me off of Remeron. I liked the feeling of the new medicine but I felt nausea and upset stomach for about a week and a half. So she put me back on Remeron 30mg but I only took 15mg and I felt better than before when I was on 30mg. In all, this medicine has worked great for me.

July 24, 2012 9:46 AM
Review by Fedupofbeingme (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

mirtazapine: I suffer from anxiety, low mood, and Cardiophobia. I started on Citalopram which affected my heart (palpitationss, racing, etc.) and so stopped taking it. Next in line was Sertraline. Although this medicine had no side-effects, neither did it help my anxiety. I am now on Mirtazapine 15mg nightly. 1st tab I felt like a zombie with bad headache but anxiety symptoms disappeared like magic. 2nd tab I started to feel the palpitations creeping slowly back and just prayed that it was due to the anxiety, although I felt much better. Took 3rd tab tonight and the palpitations are definitely back with a vengeance, I feel really groggy and clumsy. I hope the palpitations will decrease over time as this medicine is great for anxiety although no point taking them if they make heart-related anxiety worse.

July 23, 2012 6:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): I was drinking heavy to combat anxiety for years. Remeron sorted me out. Still drank now and again but in general felt good about myself. I've tried lots of anti-anxiety medicines and this one is the best. Weight gain but makes me happy so a small price to pay. One last thing when on this I would look in the mirror and feel good about myself for the first time in years. Good medicine.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2012 6:45 AM