Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 101 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

Review by anxiety joe:

I used it at bed time along with Paxil. I have anxiety and at times insomnia. The lower the dose(@ 7.5 mg), the more it becomes a sleep aid. It worked well for both anxiety and insomnia.

March 17, 2015 5:54 PM

Review by MR ATKINSON (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking mirtazapine for 5 years now and at first they were very, very helpful. The doctors told me that it was dangerous to stop taking them but my depression and anxiety was getting worse and the medication wasn't helping anymore I must have got used to them. My personal experience with this medicine is ok for short time use.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 4:07 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month):

Works far better than any SSRI but I do still have symptoms of anxiety. I also take Diazepam when I feel an episode of severe anxiety coming on. Haven't been on it for that long though. Physiological symptoms like heart racing etc. Have already decreased so looking good.

January 24, 2015 1:05 PM

Review by CampbellW:

I suffered from awful anxiety for years. I tried a wide range of antidepressants and nothing ever worked. This medicine saved my life. Within days of trying it I was off of Ambien and Ativan which I had needed to sleep and function. It did make me super hungry and I did gain weight. But whats a few pounds to trade in for happiness. If I ever suffered severe anxiety problems again, I would try it in a second. It was actually one of the very first medicines my doctor recommended, but I did not try it due to possible liver side effects. That was a big mistake. I wasted years on the anti-depressant roller coaster. If it wasn't for the increased appetite, I would gladly pop one of those little miracle pills every night for the rest of my life.

December 3, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by stratton7 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Remeron for 3 weeks now, and I feel somewhat better, I could not take other antidepressants because they made me a ton more anxious and out of it, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin, I've had a really tough time the last year and half and I'm hoping that this works for me, the only problem I'm having is I just can't seem to wake up in the morning and I'm still feeling very lethargic all day, I'm very sensitive to all medications so I have to move up very slowly, I just moved up to 18.75 mg, and I'm still really tired and I have a hard time functioning during the day, my doctor said he is going to slowly move me up too 30mg, I guess I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone through the same thing I am going through

November 23, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by Jennifreckles (taken for 1 to 2 years):

During a really worrying period with one of my children I found I couldn't sleep and would lie awake with pounding heart and shaking. This meant I found terrible during the day and it just got worse and worse. I eventually was referred to a Psychiatrist who prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. Well the first night I slept all night! I was very groggy in the morning. Gradually the grogginess lessened. I found that because I was getting a good nights restful sleep I started to improve. It really was like a miracle for me. I have been on it now for about 18 months, the family crisis is over and I want to get off now if I can. so I have started taking just 7.5mg will see how I go with that for a while then hopefully stop altogether.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by dcubed:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Have had generalized and social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Was on Klonopin 1.0 to 1.5 mg twice a day (about 15 years) along with propranolol 20 mg twice a day. I decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to try to wean myself off Klonopin as getting a script every month for Klonopin is a pain. I started Remeron 5 months ago at 15mg than 22.5mg and in no time my anxiety level went down. I was also on Vyvanse to counter depression from long term Klonopin which I replaced with Wellbutrin. With Remeron/Wellbutrin combination I am down to 0.5mg twice a day Klonopin which I never dreamed was possible. I plan on going on Lyrica or Neurontin to help wean off Klonopin for good.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by blableblabla:

After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

After being prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro, etc., over the past 5 years for my "anxiety", I finally found this medication actually chills my constant anxiety. Mind you, I have never been depressed. I take it at night before bed (15 mg), and it slowly puts me to sleep, unlike Ambien. I do have vivid dreams but I wake up feeling well rested and with energy. Unlike Ambien, which stayed with me the next day and zapped my energy. I say, please give this a try for your anxiety. If you are more depressed, you might need another medicine. I found all the antidepressants I've tried for my anxiety, make me more anxious and oddly, depressed. I hope this helps those with mild to moderate anxiety, as it did myself.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by draxlerjasmine (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started on Zoloft, which only made the anxiety worse. Got put on Remeron after a hospital stay and it has changed my life. Started at 15mg and then shortly after increasing to 30mg. I did gain 30lbs on it due to craving sweets constantly so I tried switching to Effexor, only again having my anxiety going out of control again. I went back on Remeron 30mg and I am back to my old self. I sleep very well on this medication which for me is so much nicer despite the weight gain.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by braddo1972:

At first it was great for sleep which is the cause of my anxiety. I'm having some good night's and a couple of bad nights more good than bad.

April 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed venalfaxine and after 10 days I experienced terrifying symptoms. I stopped taking it immediately, to the annoyance of the psychiatrist who had given it. He then prescribed mirtazapine which I took at 15mg for 2 weeks with some success. After 10 days on Mirt I had three nights of heigtened anxiety, although nothing as bad as before taking the mirt. The psychiatrist then suggested upping my mirt to 30mg. I did this for 2 nights and felt dreadful. Last night I reverted to 15mg and I intend to stay on it. I think it is worth remembering that taking drugs that 'mess with our heads' is not like taking pain killers. If 15mg is good it does not mean that 30mg is better.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Johnnie from Sydney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking 15 mg at night about 6 weeks ago for anxiety/insomnia and mood problems. I started to feel some relief after just a few and have begun to feel a lot better as time goes on, my doctor advised me to increase my dosage to 30 mg (1 pill) after 2 weeks but I found it was too much for me and got quite overwhelmed by the way I felt whilst at work one day which was not a pleasant experience! However since going back down to half a tablet each night things have really leveled out for me! My anxiety is much much lower and I don't feel depressed at all. At present, for me the best part is being able to sleep well most nights as lack of sleep was becoming a real problem, do have to watch my food and alcohol intake but that's a good thing!

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by PunkBear (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medicine has been awesome for me. Depression and anxiety seemed to just go away after about a month. I started on 7.5mg then slowly went up to 30mgs. Don't mix with alcohol. And being a writer...the dreams (very vivid) are inspiring and wonderful to experience.

December 26, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by danny890456 (taken for less than 1 month):

So far so good.... been on all sorts of anti depressants and this one works the best! No sexual decrease like others. I do want to eat all the time but I work out and am very active. I sleep so much better now and my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. I was also prescribed 2mg Valuim which I rarely take now because of Remeron. Been taking 4 weeks now.

December 11, 2013 1:13 PM

I have been put on many different anxiety medicines for the past 20 years now, many with bad side affects, then Dr. tried me on mirtazapine 3 years ago. I love this medicine. It is the only one that works for me with no side effects. I only weigh 100 lbs and take 45 mg a night with no side effects at all from the start of taking it 3 years ago. I sleep like a baby and wake up full of energy.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2013 10:25 AM

Review by Sal King:

I am taking mirtazapine for anxiety for the past 5 months now. After 3 weeks of start of this medicine, my anxiety was gone until couple days ago. All of a sudden I started getting anxiety attacks and palpitations. It feels like the effect of medicine is gone. I am seeing my doctor in a week and lets see what he suggests. Currently taking Xanax to control my anxiety. I have experienced that whenever I have anxiety, 5 minutes of workout (treadmill or fast walking) it does help relieve my anxiety. Try it.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by User 2013 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirtazapine its amazing medicine my anxiety and depression its all gone now. This medicine is 10/10.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 2:46 PM

Review by Tiny1984:

At first Remeron was amazing. Felt so much better in a short period of time. After being on it approximately 6 weeks I began to develop horrible leg pain. Random joint pain in elbows, hands, knees. My fingers also started to swell. As soon as I was off and out of my system these side effects went away. If not for the side effects I would still be on it. I've just about run the line with these medicines and don't seem to tolerate any very well.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 5:11 PM

Review by Kenia Downing (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was originally put on this to boost my poor appetite----and accidentally changed my life for the better! I sleep through the night, don't have that drugged feeling, I don't get road rage or stress anymore but can still fully feel all human emotions when pressed, including anxiety and anger. Just on a more normal scale.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 4:31 AM

Review by pam mc t:

Eating all the time hope this goes when I can go outside by myself.

July 28, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by sdunn1984:

I started with minor anxiety attacks then kept going up to the point that I ended up at the hospital many times. I thought I was having a heart attack but to find out later that it was anxiety. My Dr prescribe me mirtazapine and after a few weeks most signs of anxiety where gone. I also take sleeping pills for chronic insomnia. They didn't help at all with the anxiety problems, but once I started mirtazapine I noticed a big change and it helps with my sleeping problems as well. If you have major panic attacks ask your DR. if mirtazapine is an option for you because in my case it helped so much. I was able to go back to work and I wasn't afraid to go out in public places like I was when a victim of anxiety attacks.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2013 7:34 PM

Review by Mikeg123123:

Only been on 15 mg for a week now and just upped to 30mg. Warning do not mix this with alcohol when you first start you will not be able to walk. Take this at night. Fantastic sleep aid and WOW, Such vivid crazy and wonderful dreams. For me so far 10 times better than any SSRI antidepressant. I've probably been taking anxiety medicine for the last 6 years. This medicine should be first line prescription when anxiety is presented. Also taking 300 mg pregabalin at the moment, once a day which I quite like. I'll rate again in a month or two but for now it's a Definite 10!

June 15, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by chick765827 (taken for less than 1 month):

I loved this medication, but sadly after taking it for 2 weeks I had the worst menstrual pain in my life. So I re-tried it after that time of the month and the next menstrual cycle was the same, but this medicine made the panic attacks go away, I slept well, my appetite improved, and my mood lifted. The first week is the worst. On it you feel like a zombie but that goes away. I tried all the SSRI's and they made me SO sick...severe nausea, diarrhea, headaches, sweating, felt crazy, made my panic very severe. I wish so much that I could take Remeron it would have saved my life I am sure I felt great on it except the menstrual side effects and the doctor said I couldn't take it for that reason.

May 25, 2013 9:45 AM