User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"Am on a cross-over from Venlafaxine to Mirtazipine due to the libido-destroying qualities I experienced with the former. If ever there was a passion killer list then Venlafaxine would rate up there with halitosis. It is great anti-depressant but top of the flops in the pants department. Started on 30mgs Mirtazipine the other day and two things hit me straight away..... food and serenity. Will keep it going as am sure the initial 'hit' will subside and I'll rejoin my body sometime but certainly if the libido matches the serenity then 'hello baby!'"

rotundrob (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

"I am pleased to say, that I have been taking Remeron for about 4 months after recovering from severe acute pancreatitis, including surgery and a 5 1/2 month hospital stay. I take it at bedtime, sleep 8-10 hours , wake without drowsiness and it seems to have helped curb my anxiety due to significant family problems."

caringinco. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

"I feel like I've taken amphetamines and Valium in one hit! I'm in my 3rd day... A different kind of anxiety!!!! Like one minute I'm rushing!! The next I'm knackered!! Does anyone get what I mean? I think I'm going to persevere and see how it settles"

Huddy December 23, 2015

"I took citalapram for nine weeks unsuccessfully and mirtazapine for 8months, too many side effects, numb emotional feelings and made anxiety worse , feeling aggressive, aching joints,big changes in weight and bodily functions , not easy to withdraw from either, worsening thoughts, (don't think relapse, think it's the drug) or you'll end up back on it. My opinion is never again, beware!"

Henry horse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2015

"I was prescribed mirtazapine after a 10 week treatment of citalapram, side effect out way any gains in taking it, it will make u sleep and create more anxiety,weight gain and change in personality are to name a few, when your depressed and down that black hole the withdrawal effects of the drug are far worse, I slow tapered off this drug and haven't taken any for 4months, partial side effects are still with me, I know this as I didn't have them in the first place, I' d research the myth of the chemical imbalance theory before you take this drug."

No nickname December 15, 2015

"I took my first dose last night and I have slept 9+ hours and my anxiety is reduced today but I WANT FOOD."

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy784 December 8, 2015

"I have had mild depression on and off for 3 years and have been taking 10mg Vivactil. A recent change in my circumstances means I have been experiencing anxiety attacks, not sleeping and very tearful. I took a 15mg tablet for the first time last night as directed and slept 9 hours solid. However I felt 'drunk' all day. Didn't feel safe to drive, unable to concentrate in work and eventually had to come home. I slept another 7 hours and only just feel 'normal' again. This drug is not for me! I wasn't able to function. Although I slept well and didn't have any panic attacks I couldn't remember where I had parked my car and I also forgot to eat. It's back to the GP for me"

mackieb December 7, 2015

"Have tried this now for four weeks and I am coming off it. Gave me dry mouth, dry eyes and done nothing for anxiety, helped with eating, did not help me sleep. I am not condemning the drug, it works for some and that's great, so happy for them."

Justliloleme December 2, 2015

"At 19 I went on Sertraline as I'd struggled with varying levels of anxiety throughout my teens. About a year later I tapered and came off for about 6 months. Then, completely out of the blue, I felt almost an electric shock in bed one night and spiralled into the most awful depression and panic imaginable. After the Sertraline failed to work I was on the verge of admitting myself to a psych ward. It was truly the most painful experience imaginable. My GP prescribed Mirtazapine as an attempt to pull me back into balance, and I can honestly say that in about 2 weeks I had recovered. I cannot speak of the difference it made. Utterly unbelievable. The best benefit was its sleep inducing effects, as I'd always stay up all night in panic."

J1993 November 29, 2015

"I have just started on Remeron while tapering Zoloft for my axsiety and sleep issues. This may change, but I wanted to post this to possibly give someone hope. I am not a big eater, I never have been. When I started Remeron, I was expecting this ravenous appetite to start. Not only did that not happen, I have less of an appetite then I normally do. I am not super thin, average for my height and have never had any food issues. So the weight gain thing does not happen to everyone."

a_mother_is (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2015

"I was prescribed this for anxiety, depression and sleep problems (with my fibromyalgia) after several trial and errors with other medication. I've been on it for three weeks now and it has no effect whatsoever on me. The doctor took me off sertraline and replaced it with mirtazapine. I sleep about 3/4 hours every other night so I've doubled my dosage from 15mg to 30 mg after reading people's comments. I took the dose 3 hours ago and nothing :( hope it works better for others! (Uk)"

CatsForever (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

"I was previously on Citalopram, which I didn't think was doing me any good, so doctor changed me to Mirtazapine which I am very glad about. It's helped my sleep and appetite, which were both very up & down. It has also helped my anxiety and racing, negative thoughts. In turn, I feel more upbeat and positive. Only slight downside is feeling groggy during the day, which I hope is just a small side effect while I get used to it. Overall, I'm very happy with this so far."

Jane07 October 13, 2015

"I have bad anxiety for years and I tired a few meds but they weren't working for me . Now I am on Mirtazapine 15 mg I only take one pill a note. The first nite I felt great little tired but the anxiety stopped. The sec nite was little different I had a few anxiety attacks but I managed to control them . I feel really tired and have a few attacks during the day but not as bad as before . I'm going to give this medicine a try and I'm going to have to go to therapy as the doc told me it will help, since I have been diagnosed with anxiety for years . I pray this will help me and get my life back. Good luck to all of you that are having bad times with anxiety and depression."

Kansaschick2015 September 30, 2015

"Might try this one again someday. Was on it 3 weeks. Sleep started off OK but got worse with time along with feeling more anxious and exhausted each day. 3rd week, I'm lying in bed and start to panic. Try to get up and collapse on the floor. My brain felt like it was being lightly electrocuted. Broken sleep and nightmares the rest of the night. Next day around 3pm, I started to feel better. Great even and slept great that night but the night before freaked me out so much I swore to never take it again. Withdrawals were horrific. Worst thing I ever experienced. Still, that one day and night was amazing and think it might have been the one if I stuck it out another day or 2. Weird reactions, I know. It works great for my dad."

Brett84 (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2015

"I began taking this medicine about 1 year ago. I started on 15 mg, then upped to 30 then upped to 45. At first I felt better, kind of a happy optimistic feeling and then it kinda quit working so we went up to 30 mg which Is almost too much for me it would knock me out for 10 hours (I always take it right before bed) and I went back to the doctor and he said to just take more so I was put on the 45 mg tabs. I absolutely can not take a whole 45 mg tab I always wake up 11-12 hours later. If I have to get up early I am so fatigued in the morning so what I do is break a 45 mg one in half and I'm actually taking 22.5 mg now, any more is too sedating. It works very well for my insomnia but as far as my anxiety and depression it doesnt seem to work"

BlaZeQ September 5, 2015

"Was prescribed mirtazipine after citalopram failed to lift my depression and anxiety. I must say I was in a deep depression, you know, the place where everything is gloomy and hopeless and you just want to crawl into some cave and die. 15mg for the first couple of weeks nearly made me give up hope on this drug. The lethargy, hopelessness and anxiety deepened. I am into my third week and I have upped the dose to 30mg as prescribed and I feel completely different. The anxiety is reducing by the day, I feel hopeful, upbeat and for once in eight months, I wake up in the morning with a spring in my steps. The zombie days seem to be disappearing. Mirtazipine is working for me and I hope it works for anyone who has started taking it."

ofra (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I must say, Mirtazipine was extremely helpful for my anxiety/depression along with taking Fluvoxamine for anxiety, depression, and ocd. A lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety as well as mental symptoms have diminished. Concentration has also improved. Although, the weight gain from increased appetite and the sluggish feeling in the morning has become problematic. I have my mind set on discontinuing."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

"Excellent for anxiety and sleep. No more sweaty palms and inner tension. 15mg at bedtime and sleep like a baby. No side effects - increased appetite though."

hein (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2015

"Have had depression with anxiety and insomnia 4 times in the last 10 years. Tried Prozac, went nuts,citalopram up to 60mg, did not work, sertraline, fabulous but took 6 weeks plus to get better at a relatively high dose and with horrid side effects. This time mirtazapine as had heard so many good things, I am a health care professional. Day 3 like a light bulb moment. Better. Sleeping like a baby, anxiety gone and of mood back to normal. Amazing"

justlottie April 16, 2015

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hi, I have given the medicine 5 out of 10 although I am yet to take it. I was originally taking 150 mg of venlafaxine a day which really helped with my anxiety, the only problem was the side effects. Every night I would wake in a pool of sweat which no matter how much I showered or bathed would have a strong smell to it. We had to constantly wash and replace duvet covers, sheets etc... I had no problem with sexual desire but maintaining an erection and staying interested was a problem. I ended buying kamagra online and found just an 8th of the tablet (dissolvable) would work wonders. I spoke to the doctor and he changed the medication to citalopram which I found the transition period fine but no way as effective as the venlafaxine"

Pazster (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"I used it at bed time along with Paxil. I have anxiety and at times insomnia. The lower the dose(@ 7.5 mg), the more it becomes a sleep aid. It worked well for both anxiety and insomnia."

anxiety joe March 17, 2015

"I have been taking mirtazapine for 5 years now and at first they were very, very helpful. The doctors told me that it was dangerous to stop taking them but my depression and anxiety was getting worse and the medication wasn't helping anymore I must have got used to them. My personal experience with this medicine is ok for short time use."

MR ATKINSON (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015

"I was having massive problems with anxiety caused by constant heart palpitations or PVCs. Was having a lot of trouble going to bed at night. This honestly fixed me overnight. I couldn't believe it just worked so fast. Was very groggy the first morning waking up, but this has really given me my life back."

serenitynowman February 10, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I use this for serious post traumatic stress disorder, Major Depressive disorder, Anxiety, Flashbacks Night Sweats, Night Terrors, Anger, Mood Swings, and waking up at night not knowing where I am. I have taken this for more than 5 years. I take up to 70 mg of Citalopram during the day to compliment this medication along with Valuim for Anxiety and for major Surgery that gives me muscle cramps and pain. I give it a ten. I have no side effects from this. I do Citalopram, and Valuim but not Mirtazapine. Rate it at 10."

DrugExpert101 February 6, 2015

"I was on every SSRI/SNRI possible. They all exacerbated my sleep problems. Remeron has given me my sleep back and virtually no anxiety! I highly recommend for people with anxiety and insomnia. Therapy also helped, it's not always just about taking a pill. I highly recommend this and plan on never coming off!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2015