User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Anxiety

"I must say, Mirtazipine was extremely helpful for my anxiety/depression along with taking Fluvoxamine for anxiety, depression, and ocd. A lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety as well as mental symptoms have diminished. Concentration has also improved. Although, the weight gain from increased appetite and the sluggish feeling in the morning has become problematic. I have my mind set on discontinuing."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

"Excellent for anxiety and sleep. No more sweaty palms and inner tension. 15mg at bedtime and sleep like a baby. No side effects - increased appetite though."

hein (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2015

"Have had depression with anxiety and insomnia 4 times in the last 10 years. Tried Prozac, went nuts,citalopram up to 60mg, did not work, sertraline, fabulous but took 6 weeks plus to get better at a relatively high dose and with horrid side effects. This time mirtazapine as had heard so many good things, I am a health care professional. Day 3 like a light bulb moment. Better. Sleeping like a baby, anxiety gone and of mood back to normal. Amazing"

justlottie April 16, 2015

"Hi, I have given the medicine 5 out of 10 although I am yet to take it. I was originally taking 150 mg of venlafaxine a day which really helped with my anxiety, the only problem was the side effects. Every night I would wake in a pool of sweat which no matter how much I showered or bathed would have a strong smell to it. We had to constantly wash and replace duvet covers, sheets etc... I had no problem with sexual desire but maintaining an erection and staying interested was a problem. I ended buying kamagra online and found just an 8th of the tablet (dissolvable) would work wonders. I spoke to the doctor and he changed the medication to citalopram which I found the transition period fine but no way as effective as the venlafaxine"

Pazster (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"I used it at bed time along with Paxil. I have anxiety and at times insomnia. The lower the dose(@ 7.5 mg), the more it becomes a sleep aid. It worked well for both anxiety and insomnia."

anxiety joe March 17, 2015

"I have been taking mirtazapine for 5 years now and at first they were very, very helpful. The doctors told me that it was dangerous to stop taking them but my depression and anxiety was getting worse and the medication wasn't helping anymore I must have got used to them. My personal experience with this medicine is ok for short time use."

MR ATKINSON (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015

"I was having massive problems with anxiety caused by constant heart palpitations or PVCs. Was having a lot of trouble going to bed at night. This honestly fixed me overnight. I couldn't believe it just worked so fast. Was very groggy the first morning waking up, but this has really given me my life back."

serenitynowman February 10, 2015

"I use this for serious post traumatic stress disorder, Major Depressive disorder, Anxiety, Flashbacks Night Sweats, Night Terrors, Anger, Mood Swings, and waking up at night not knowing where I am. I have taken this for more than 5 years. I take up to 70 mg of Citalopram during the day to compliment this medication along with Valuim for Anxiety and for major Surgery that gives me muscle cramps and pain. I give it a ten. I have no side effects from this. I do Citalopram, and Valuim but not Mirtazapine. Rate it at 10."

DrugExpert101 February 6, 2015

"I was on every SSRI/SNRI possible. They all exacerbated my sleep problems. Remeron has given me my sleep back and virtually no anxiety! I highly recommend for people with anxiety and insomnia. Therapy also helped, it's not always just about taking a pill. I highly recommend this and plan on never coming off!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2015

"Works far better than any SSRI but I do still have symptoms of anxiety. I also take Diazepam when I feel an episode of severe anxiety coming on. Haven't been on it for that long though. Physiological symptoms like heart racing etc. Have already decreased so looking good."

coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2015

"I suffered from awful anxiety for years. I tried a wide range of antidepressants and nothing ever worked. This medicine saved my life. Within days of trying it I was off of Ambien and Ativan which I had needed to sleep and function. It did make me super hungry and I did gain weight. But whats a few pounds to trade in for happiness. If I ever suffered severe anxiety problems again, I would try it in a second. It was actually one of the very first medicines my doctor recommended, but I did not try it due to possible liver side effects. That was a big mistake. I wasted years on the anti-depressant roller coaster. If it wasn't for the increased appetite, I would gladly pop one of those little miracle pills every night for the rest of my life."

CampbellW December 3, 2014

"I've been on Remeron for 3 weeks now, and I feel somewhat better, I could not take other antidepressants because they made me a ton more anxious and out of it, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin, I've had a really tough time the last year and half and I'm hoping that this works for me, the only problem I'm having is I just can't seem to wake up in the morning and I'm still feeling very lethargic all day, I'm very sensitive to all medications so I have to move up very slowly, I just moved up to 18.75 mg, and I'm still really tired and I have a hard time functioning during the day, my doctor said he is going to slowly move me up too 30mg, I guess I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone through the same thing I am going through"

stratton7 (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2014

"During a really worrying period with one of my children I found I couldn't sleep and would lie awake with pounding heart and shaking. This meant I found terrible during the day and it just got worse and worse. I eventually was referred to a Psychiatrist who prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. Well the first night I slept all night! I was very groggy in the morning. Gradually the grogginess lessened. I found that because I was getting a good nights restful sleep I started to improve. It really was like a miracle for me. I have been on it now for about 18 months, the family crisis is over and I want to get off now if I can. so I have started taking just 7.5mg will see how I go with that for a while then hopefully stop altogether."

Jennifreckles (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 2, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Remeron (mirtazapine): "Have had generalized and social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Was on Klonopin 1.0 to 1.5 mg twice a day (about 15 years) along with propranolol 20 mg twice a day. I decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to try to wean myself off Klonopin as getting a script every month for Klonopin is a pain. I started Remeron 5 months ago at 15mg than 22.5mg and in no time my anxiety level went down. I was also on Vyvanse to counter depression from long term Klonopin which I replaced with Wellbutrin. With Remeron/Wellbutrin combination I am down to 0.5mg twice a day Klonopin which I never dreamed was possible. I plan on going on Lyrica or Neurontin to help wean off Klonopin for good."

dcubed August 13, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back."

blableblabla July 14, 2014

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems."

LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After being prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro, etc., over the past 5 years for my "anxiety", I finally found this medication actually chills my constant anxiety. Mind you, I have never been depressed. I take it at night before bed (15 mg), and it slowly puts me to sleep, unlike Ambien. I do have vivid dreams but I wake up feeling well rested and with energy. Unlike Ambien, which stayed with me the next day and zapped my energy. I say, please give this a try for your anxiety. If you are more depressed, you might need another medicine. I found all the antidepressants I've tried for my anxiety, make me more anxious and oddly, depressed. I hope this helps those with mild to moderate anxiety, as it did myself."

nickname (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on Zoloft, which only made the anxiety worse. Got put on Remeron after a hospital stay and it has changed my life. Started at 15mg and then shortly after increasing to 30mg. I did gain 30lbs on it due to craving sweets constantly so I tried switching to Effexor, only again having my anxiety going out of control again. I went back on Remeron 30mg and I am back to my old self. I sleep very well on this medication which for me is so much nicer despite the weight gain."

draxlerjasmine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"At first it was great for sleep which is the cause of my anxiety. I'm having some good night's and a couple of bad nights more good than bad."

braddo1972 April 5, 2014

"I was prescribed venalfaxine and after 10 days I experienced terrifying symptoms. I stopped taking it immediately, to the annoyance of the psychiatrist who had given it. He then prescribed mirtazapine which I took at 15mg for 2 weeks with some success. After 10 days on Mirt I had three nights of heigtened anxiety, although nothing as bad as before taking the mirt. The psychiatrist then suggested upping my mirt to 30mg. I did this for 2 nights and felt dreadful. Last night I reverted to 15mg and I intend to stay on it. I think it is worth remembering that taking drugs that 'mess with our heads' is not like taking pain killers. If 15mg is good it does not mean that 30mg is better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking 15 mg at night about 6 weeks ago for anxiety/insomnia and mood problems. I started to feel some relief after just a few and have begun to feel a lot better as time goes on, my doctor advised me to increase my dosage to 30 mg (1 pill) after 2 weeks but I found it was too much for me and got quite overwhelmed by the way I felt whilst at work one day which was not a pleasant experience! However since going back down to half a tablet each night things have really leveled out for me! My anxiety is much much lower and I don't feel depressed at all. At present, for me the best part is being able to sleep well most nights as lack of sleep was becoming a real problem, do have to watch my food and alcohol intake but that's a good thing!"

Johnnie from Sydney (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2014

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has been awesome for me. Depression and anxiety seemed to just go away after about a month. I started on 7.5mg then slowly went up to 30mgs. Don't mix with alcohol. And being a writer...the dreams (very vivid) are inspiring and wonderful to experience."

PunkBear (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2013

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far so good.... been on all sorts of anti depressants and this one works the best! No sexual decrease like others. I do want to eat all the time but I work out and am very active. I sleep so much better now and my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. I was also prescribed 2mg Valuim which I rarely take now because of Remeron. Been taking 4 weeks now."

danny890456 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2013

"I have been put on many different anxiety medicines for the past 20 years now, many with bad side affects, then Dr. tried me on mirtazapine 3 years ago. I love this medicine. It is the only one that works for me with no side effects. I only weigh 100 lbs and take 45 mg a night with no side effects at all from the start of taking it 3 years ago. I sleep like a baby and wake up full of energy."

Anonymous November 24, 2013

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am taking mirtazapine for anxiety for the past 5 months now. After 3 weeks of start of this medicine, my anxiety was gone until couple days ago. All of a sudden I started getting anxiety attacks and palpitations. It feels like the effect of medicine is gone. I am seeing my doctor in a week and lets see what he suggests. Currently taking Xanax to control my anxiety. I have experienced that whenever I have anxiety, 5 minutes of workout (treadmill or fast walking) it does help relieve my anxiety. Try it."

Sal King September 25, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next