User Reviews for Solodyn

Learn more about Solodyn.

Rosacea 3 reviews 99 medications

Acne 60 reviews 513 medications

7.2
Summary of Solodyn reviews 63 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Solodyn

For Acne "I was on Solodyn for 7 weeks. I had borderline cyst acne and a lot of redness/PIH. Although Solodyn reduced the amount of 'new' acne that I got, and some of the cysts did end up rising to heads and disappeared (albeit slowly), the results weren't as dramatic as I hoped. I was still getting a fair amount of acne (maybe 50% as prior to the medicine after 4 weeks). My dermatologist ended up putting me on doxycycline instead, and it's been much more effective (and MUCH cheaper) than solodyn."

Alex Noonz May 18, 2015

For Acne "I am over 40 with adult acne for years. I had it under control with epidue for years but something hormonal happened and I had a severe break out and it was bad. My dermatologist started me solodyn 105mg. It worked immediately. My acne cleared up and my face was smooth again. But my only side affect is I have gotten really dark, I haven't read anyone complaints about getting dark so I would like some responses to my post. I don't know if its because I am a black woman. But after reading some of the posts I will start taking a lesser dose to see if that helps."

Cress (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

For Acne "It took away my acne in a few days. but it made me nauseous when I took it on an empty stomach. My insurance covered it partially. But I didn't want to take it too long and become resistant to antibiotics."

Brittany Hill April 3, 2015

For Acne "I am 15 and have had acne since I was about 13. I have tried almost everything to get rid of my acne so when my dermatologist wanted to try Solodyn I jumped at the offer. It has been a little over a month since I have been on Solodyn and my acne is just starting to improve. For me the medication caused me to break out worse on my face before it got better so of course with anyone that has acne that's frustrating. Just stick with it and I promise you'll see improvements. I am on Epiduo as well to spot treat acne. Good luck!"

Anonymous March 20, 2015

For Acne "I had pretty bad acne and tried many topical creams with very little relief. Solodyn really helped with my acne pretty quick. But what I noticed is that, if I missed a single daily dose, I would start to get really deep acne within 24 hours. It was frustrating because when I was getting low on a prescription, I had to make sure and go to my dermatologist immediately. It also dried my skin out quite a bit. My advice to anyone considering it; 1) make to be very consistent with when you take it, 2) start decreasing your dose as soon as you start seeing some improvement (break pills in half but still take daily, then 1/3 daily, etc.), 3) drink lots of water and use face lotion to hydrate your skin, because it really dries it out."

Emerp March 18, 2015

For Acne "I had a cystic breakout before my wedding and my doctor prescribed me Solodyn. After a week they have all gone either completely away or almost barely there away. Love this stuff! I didn't experience any side effects."

Chicagogal06 March 10, 2015

For Acne "I've just started this medication and so far so good. So far all I have noticed is that my pimples are coming to a head and my cysts are starting to level and also blackheads and whiteheads are vanishing. I'm on the 80 mg Solodyn and I'm guessing that's very high since most people her are on like 65 and 50 mg. I do get very dizzy, lightheaded, my stomach kills, and I have trouble focusing for about two hours after taking the antibiotic but it's a price I'm willing to pay. I have sensitive skin and I like how this doesn't make me peel as much as the previous topical medication I was on (Ziana). I'm still suppose to use it but I like the results I'm getting without it. I would recommend this for sure."

Jac G (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

For Acne "I had really bad breakouts going into college. I took Solodyn paired with a topical called Ziana. I was really skeptical because I didn't notice any changes in the first 4-6 week trial period, but it really helped me clear up after about 3 months. I'm mostly left with blemishes now which have not really improved since my breakouts stopped. I've been on Solodyn for six months now, but I think I'm going to stop because my acne feels controlled."

Gianna A January 9, 2015

For Acne "I was taking Solodyn for about a week and a half. My acne was very moderate and it cleared up pretty quickly after taking Solodyn. But it caused a very severe yeast infection and caused me to have nose bleeds."

Asdfghhjkleuuuaaa December 13, 2014

For Acne "My acne was terrible. I felt like I had tried everything and that my next option was going to have to be Accutane (something I really did not want to try!). I tried like 4 different dermatologists before I was finally recommended to try Solodyn and within 2-3 months my acne began clearing and not coming back. I took it for about 6 months and I had a few pimples (but they were nothing like the ones I had before) and some scarring. I started slowing going off the Solodyn by taking half a pill every day and then every other day until I just totally stopped. It's been about 6 or 7 months since my last Solodyn pill and my skin still looks great. I usually will have one or two small pimples but I usually just spot treat with Epiduo."

Lynz b 90 October 22, 2014

For Acne "This medicine leaves me feeling undecided and confused. First off, it made me break out bad, and in a type of way I never did before. I had huge cysts all over my back. My Dr said that it "gets everything out of your skin then clears you up." I did clear up after 4 months on it. It wasn't until the last month it improved. Problem is that it scarred me everywhere from the cysts. I never broke out on my back like that before, and it actually hurt. I'm hoping the scars become less dark. Bottom line: It broke me out bad for 3 months and then cleared up and I'm left with scars. Skin is much clearer but I'm still getting small pimples on shoulders and face."

h2434 August 28, 2014

For Acne "I took Solodyn for three years. I had been on Accutane the previous year, it cleared up my skin well, but then I started to get blemishes again. The Solodyn worked well, though I still had hormonal acne two weeks every month. I was happy with the results. Then, after about a year of being on it, I left for college and started to have very bad stomach issues. Overtime they worsened, but my doctors could not figure out what was wrong. I saw three different specialist, had colonoscopies, endoscopies, scans, tests, labs, etc. but no conclusions could be made. Then, my dermatologist decided to just take me off the solodyn to see if it had an effect. My stomach isn't 100% better, but I can already tell a difference in my health."

Not worth it April 29, 2014

For Acne "I am 16 and I have been on Solodyn for about a year and a half. The first month I started taking it my skin cleared way up, but then it got bad again. Now, if I stop taking it, I breakout worse than before so it is really just keeping my acne somewhat controlled but it had NOT cleared up my face at all."

azirkelb (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2014

For Acne "Hello everyone! So over winter break I gained a HUGE allergic reaction from an acne face wash that made me break out with acne ALL over my face. BIG CYSTIC PIMPLES. Yeah, it was really bad. I was embarrassed, I didn't want my family to even see me. I was ashamed. My mother took me to the dermatologist that Friday and I was prescribed Solodyn. I got two weeks prescription for free. I had an amazing experience so far, its only been a week, exactly a week from today that I've been on this medication.($35 for 3 months medication) I don't regret it at ALL. The only side effect it has had on me is tiredness after school. My acne has cleared about 90% if not more. I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone with a very ugly acne break out."

Smile You're Beautiful. :) January 10, 2014

For Acne "I've had acne since I was 14yrs old, and I'm 18 now. So I've been suffering for 4 years now. I've tired everything to get rid of my acne. I had some cystic acne and just regular acne, but it would be all over my face and leave bad scarring. It was very embarrassing. I finally decided I would do something about it. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me Solodyn. My face cleared up within a month, I have never seen my face this clear before it's like I never even had acne, all that's left is scars though. But this medicine from my experience works great, and I didn't experience any serious side effects. I highly recommend it."

Oksanagirl January 2, 2014

For Acne "I have been on and of Solodyn and it works awesome every time! I am 43 years old and started breaking out around my mouth. I was convinced it was adult acne. I never had acne in my younger years so I figured now it was my turn. I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed Solodyn. I noticed results as early as one week. I do get very dizzy and tired so I take it a couple of hours, before bed. It is very expensive so make sure you get the discount card from your dermatologist."

Crysteena November 22, 2013

For Acne "HIGHLY SUGGEST IT! My acne isn't the type you see on the proactive commercials... the type I have is deep, hard, and typically really difficult to "pop." Mine is all on my cheeks but concentrated around my right jawbone and neck, and it hurts extremely bad when touched. It looks like I've been stung by bees, and is extremely red. No topicals worked,ranging from proactive to prescriptions. I took solodyn back in '11; I was 19 at the time. It started working within the first month, and by the time fall came around (August) I stopped wearing makeup (acne was GONE!). In 2012 I tried Doxycycline, but it made me SICK and gave me a debilitating headache.. Solodyn has NO side effects for me. I am happily back on it :) (insurance gets it to $35)"

aggiegirl November 10, 2013

For Acne "I'm 29 and I've suffered from acne for some years and NOTHING worked. Last choice I had was to go to my dermatologist and he prescribed me Solodyn. He said it may take a month before it starts to work. I broke out a few times but at 4 weeks my face was clearing up. My face was clear for 8 days then I ran out. Had to wait a week for pills to be delivered (had to enroll to get my pills for $20.00) and since I've been without the pills I only had two small pimples within 2 weeks. I got some more pills now and I love it. It's the best thing that ever happened to my face. I was prescribed with Ziana for the evening and Aczone for morning. My side effect on this was headache. And I got the 55mg."

estancia (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2013

For Acne "I am 26 years old. Never had acne problems, even as a teenage. Started breaking out badly due to starting Birth Control. Tried diff brands.. all the same. So went to Dermatologist. Started taking the Solodyn 65 once a day. First few months no real change. Actually it unfortunately got WORSE before it got better. First month the worst. I was very embarrassed. BUT good news. Stick with it. Its now been four months and I FINALLY see a change. Its been 4 months exactly now and I am just now feeling comfortable not wearing a ton of makeup. I still use a dap here and there but nothing like before. Only con is that the pimples I developed while on Solodyn seemed to linger. "

lindsay123 April 10, 2013

For Rosacea "Worked great- doctors tried other medicines or creams for 2 years and after 1 week of taking this it took care of issue and itching as well."

Anonymous December 10, 2012

For Acne "Solodyn worked great for me! I got really sick on Doxycycline, so my dermatologist switched me to this. It cleared up my body & face acne (I was/am also taking Veltin as a topical). I understand it can be very expensive for some people, but my insurance covered it with a $20 copay. I was on Solodyn for 6 months and just stopped taking it on advice of my derm about 2 weeks ago. So far so good! I would recommend it. I didn't have any side effects on it like I had on the Doxy."

Anonymous November 26, 2012

For Acne "I'm 26 and have been on prescription acne treatments for 16 years. My acne was pretty well controlled in my 20's until a flare up a couple of years ago. My DR prescribed Solodyn. It took the full 12 weeks to see results. I believe the first 2-4 weeks my acne was even worse. From weeks 12-16 it got remarkably better and then I phased off of it. It's now a year later and the flare up's are starting so I'm trying another round of Solodyn. I have learned that for some of us, there is no miracle cure. Solodyn isn't a miracle worker, but it has helped me keep my acne under control, and I'm very satisfied with that. My Dr. has me use a gentle cleanser (I use Clinique) and topical gel (Epiduo) along with the Solodyn."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2012

For Acne "My 12 year old daughter has suffered from acne for two years. She was on Doxy and proactive and it worked great and then we took her off it and her acne came back so we started her on Solodyn and Proactive and it seems to work great. We tried just proactive without the antibiotics and it helps a little but adding the antibiotic makes a huge difference. It has been two weeks since she started and her acne has improved at least 50%, maybe even 70%. Also the proactive sulfur mask they have works great. She puts a thin layer on her face at night and sleeps with it on and I see a huge improvement by the morning."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2012

For Acne "Great medication! Works wonders"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2012

For Acne "Solodyn is great, but unfortunately, the side effect aren't. This product has cleared up my skin, but I had to stop taking it due to its side effects. It made me really itchy, gave me yeast infections, and hives."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2012