User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Dynacin, Minocin, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 1 reviews 362 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Minocycline reviews 156 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Minocycline

Review by meriel (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I LOVE minocycline. I used to have HORRIBLE acne all over my cheeks that would lead me to cake my face with makeup everyday and I hated it. Then I tried minocycline and my skin was flawless within a week. I completely stopped wearing makeup because my skin looked great. However last week, I ran out of my refills of the prescription so I had to see my dermatologist and he gave me doxycycline and I HATED it. Every time I took it I would vomit and it made my acne MUCH worse. In going back to minocycline tomorrow and hopefully my skin will clear up again.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 2:51 AM

Review by Holley Hammy:

For Acne: I've been taking 100mg 2 times a day for 3 months now. It has cleared my shoulders/back/chest pretty well as well as my face being mostly clear too. It works best if you take it consistently. I am a very busy 16 year old girl with sports and school. If I skip a dosage I notice a few blemishes on my shoulders appear. If you get on this and you don't see a difference in a month, call your doctor and ask if they can up your dosage. If you follow the regulations and take it as directed, it works pretty good. I recommend it to anyone who is struggling with finding a face wash to work for them.

August 31, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Bunny23:

For Acne: I've dealt with moderate acne for ten years. Last year, I started getting constant cystic acne on my back (one or two at all times) and some on my face. The ones on my back were really scarring. I went on minocycline for three months and I have been off of it for about three months. The cystic acne completely disappeared and has not returned. I still get the occasional pimple, but it is not cystic and MUCH less frequent than it was in the past. I am very pleased that the medicine cleared up my skin and that I no longer need to take it. Even if my acne returns in the future (I hope it doesn't), the past six months of clear skin is easily worth the time and money.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by h2434:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: This medicine leaves me feeling undecided and confused. First off, it made me break out bad, and in a type of way I never did before. I had huge cysts all over my back. My Dr said that it "gets everything out of your skin then clears you up." I did clear up after 4 months on it. It wasn't until the last month it improved. Problem is that it scarred me everywhere from the cysts. I never broke out on my back like that before, and it actually hurt. I'm hoping the scars become less dark. Bottom line: It broke me out bad for 3 months and then cleared up and I'm left with scars. Skin is much clearer but I'm still getting small pimples on shoulders and face.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 12:01 AM

For Acne: I am a teenager and have been suffering from mild to now severe acne for a few years. I have tried so many creams and some worked for maybe a week or so and then stopped doing anything but make my skin irritated and dry. I've been on Minocycline for about 4 month now...it has cleared up my back and chest but has done nothing to my face. I still get acne on my cheeks, nose, and chin. Next step for me would be Accutane but I'm hesitant to try that.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by TinaWa:

For Acne: I have only been on 100mg on Monocycline for about a week and a half and have shown such improvements! I have had some acne on and off and for about 8 years, and it is so annoying it never goes away! I finally went to the dermatologist and begged for Accutane. They started the Procedures and said that I will need another month to get all my tests done. Since then my acne has improved a ton!! I don't even think I will need Accutane.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by Chrisnunez55 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: It works great. You will see your acne getting better very fast.

August 13, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by mcm0520 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I'm a healthy 25 year old female who's been on minocycline for about 3-4 months now. It's worked wonders and I didn't have any side effects to it, until now. About two weeks ago, I had this awful abdominal pain that landed me in the ER for fear it was my appendix. Everything came back perfect. I've since cut back on my antibiotic and only take it every other day because through process of elimination, I think it's the culprit to my abdominal pain. My PCP told my I may have developed acute IBS or irritable bowel syndrome from the minocycline (since it is an anti-biotic and will get rid of normal flora). I'm very upset that I have to stop it; I rarely use any cover up now because my skin is so clear.

June 25, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Not worth it:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I took Solodyn for three years. I had been on Accutane the previous year, it cleared up my skin well, but then I started to get blemishes again. The Solodyn worked well, though I still had hormonal acne two weeks every month. I was happy with the results. Then, after about a year of being on it, I left for college and started to have very bad stomach issues. Overtime they worsened, but my doctors could not figure out what was wrong. I saw three different specialist, had colonoscopies, endoscopies, scans, tests, labs, etc. but no conclusions could be made. Then, my dermatologist decided to just take me off the solodyn to see if it had an effect. My stomach isn't 100% better, but I can already tell a difference in my health.

April 29, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Kjeanne (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was on minocycline for 7 days when I began rapidly breaking out in hives. I have had to go to both urgent care and the ER to find relief via Epipen. Words cannot express how much pain I am in from these hives and swelling. The medicine did clear up my skin but the hives and pain were bad. Doctors say to expect hives and continued reaction for upwards of two weeks.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by newjerseyfp (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was put on this for acne. The first two weeks, I dealt with dizziness and exhaustion. The day I reached two weeks, I broke out in terrible hives and severe joint pain that landed me in the ER. I really wanted this medicine to work but could not continue it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2014 12:27 AM

Review by azirkelb (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I am 16 and I have been on Solodyn for about a year and a half. The first month I started taking it my skin cleared way up, but then it got bad again. Now, if I stop taking it, I breakout worse than before so it is really just keeping my acne somewhat controlled but it had NOT cleared up my face at all.

April 3, 2014 7:52 PM

Review by Jo1983:

For Acne: I've always had clear skin until I got pregnant when I was 29. Suddenly I had cystic pimples on my chin almost constantly. When I had my baby it didnt get any better, I was tired of having the painful bumps on my face all the time so I told my doctor about it, she perscibed minocycline and within a week I noticed a huge improvement, my chin has totally cleared up !!

March 17, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Critterling (taken for less than 1 month):

For Skin Infection: I was prescribed this because I had an infection in my ankle due to an impacted metal. While I waited for surgery to remove it I was prescribed this for a period of two weeks. I was extremely dizzy and weak on it. Thankfully the podiatrist that ended up doing the surgery changed me to another antibiotic that had no side effects and kept me infection free until the surgery could be performed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 7:37 PM

Review by MsLulu M IL (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was prescribed first the Z-pack and took that for 5 days and then to continue by taking one minocycline 100 mg capsules (once a day) for adult cystic acne. I was feeling fine the first week on minocycline but the second week, I had to completely take myself off the minocycline because I was miserable. First, it was sinus, then sinus headaches with blurry visions on and off. Then my joints started hurting, especially in my hands and lower back. I also felt dizzy when moving too fast from one position to another and started to feel like I was under a haze all the time.

February 19, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by In search of clear (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I've been on minocycline for five days now and I've noticed the acne on my skin starting to clear up pretty well and I bet two more weeks would clear it fully. But the side effects are too difficult to bare. I feel far too tired, my mouth is always dry and has a bitter taste no matter what I eat or how much I brush my teeth. But most recently my throat swelled up to the point where I could barely gulp. Overall I think it has potential to be a great product. But for me it wasn't worth the suffering.

February 3, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by Tey505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: This medication worked absolute wonders for me! After having tried several topical treatments on my adult acne, with little to no result it wasn't at all like teenage acne that I had experienced in high school. This acne came in my second year of university and lasted until my fourth and final year, which was when I decided to take action. I was prescribed minocycline. Although results will vary with EVERY person, my results were almost instantaneous! I took the pills the first day, went to bed. Took them the second day, went to bed... when I woke up I had almost NOTHING on my face. It was amazing and has stayed away. I was also lucky enough to not experience any side effects! It has been two years since, and the acne hasn't returned.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Smile You're Beautiful. :):

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: Hello everyone! So over winter break I gained a HUGE allergic reaction from an acne face wash that made me break out with acne ALL over my face. BIG CYSTIC PIMPLES. Yeah, it was really bad. I was embarrassed, I didn't want my family to even see me. I was ashamed. My mother took me to the dermatologist that Friday and I was prescribed Solodyn. I got two weeks prescription for free. I had an amazing experience so far, its only been a week, exactly a week from today that I've been on this medication.($35 for 3 months medication) I don't regret it at ALL. The only side effect it has had on me is tiredness after school. My acne has cleared about 90% if not more. I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone with a very ugly acne break out.

January 10, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by Oksanagirl:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I've had acne since I was 14yrs old, and I'm 18 now. So I've been suffering for 4 years now. I've tired everything to get rid of my acne. I had some cystic acne and just regular acne, but it would be all over my face and leave bad scarring. It was very embarrassing. I finally decided I would do something about it. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me Solodyn. My face cleared up within a month, I have never seen my face this clear before it's like I never even had acne, all that's left is scars though. But this medicine from my experience works great, and I didn't experience any serious side effects. I highly recommend it.

January 2, 2014 8:22 AM

Review by genah2013 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Acne: I was on minocycline for about 3 years for acne. It controlled the acne great. Then one day out of the blue various joints were extremely swollen; maybe two of my knuckles, one of my toes, and my knees. I could hardly walk it hurt so bad. The next day that swelling would be gone but other joints would be swollen and stiff. I tried the process of elimination, cutting certain foods out of my diet, various vitamins. I went to the doctor and they were baffled. I finally stopped taking the minocycline. In 24 hours swelling went down. 2 weeks later I took one pill, within an hour my joints swelled. I'd developed an allergy to it.

December 31, 2013 9:26 AM

Review by liliath-:

For Acne: I'm 26 years old woman and been on minocycline 100mg for about two weeks and I'm Really Really pleased what it has done for my skin. I've had acne since I was 14 and been struggling with my skin more or less ever since. On its worse I had big painful cystic bumps on my cheeks and especially jawline, inflammation and smaller ones pretty much all around my face. Not a single pimple free day. I started Tri Cyclen birth controls at the same time with this and I don't even need coverup anymore! It made my skin really dry at first but on week two it changed. Didn't have initial breakout at all either, skin's greasiness is gone too. So far this has worked wonders for me! Absolutely love it.

December 13, 2013 11:36 PM

Review by jsav:

For Acne: I started using minocycline exactly 3 weeks ago. At first the medication was fine and I did not notice any side effects. Within the first week, my acne got worse. Second week was even worse. Third week was just awful. Not only did my acne get worse than when I had initially started, but my body started breaking out in red dots that became itchy and unbearable! By week 2 I would wake up dizzy and nauseated. I ended up going to my dermatologist today and she switched me to another medication- Septra. Fingers crossed that I DO NOT have another reaction that minocycline gave me!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2013 12:41 AM

Review by Crysteena:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I have been on and of Solodyn and it works awesome every time! I am 43 years old and started breaking out around my mouth. I was convinced it was adult acne. I never had acne in my younger years so I figured now it was my turn. I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed Solodyn. I noticed results as early as one week. I do get very dizzy and tired so I take it a couple of hours, before bed. It is very expensive so make sure you get the discount card from your dermatologist.

November 22, 2013 4:40 AM

Review by Mary Grace W.:

For Acne: I started taking minocycline around 2 years ago. I had bad acne cysts on my chin and they were huge and came a few times a month. After going on the medicine I did not get another acne cyst for 6 months. It worked miracles. After a while though it started to work less and the cysts came back. A few months ago I began developing a red rash on my lips. It would come every few days. I thought I was allergic to my chapstick but it turns out it was a side effect of the minocycline. I discontinued taking it a week ago and the rash went away. I was prescribed doxycycline today and I'm hoping for good results with no side effects.

November 20, 2013 2:16 PM

For Acne: I'm 18 I've had acne for 7 years now. I started taking minocycline in 2011 and it gave me horrible nausea. I discovered that if you go on a gluten free diet the stomach problems go away as well as the acne! I stopped taking It after about 6 months and my skin stayed clear up until a few months ago.. I'm starting it again now to see how things work. It's a miracle pill though I swear it made my skin literally perfect

November 20, 2013 1:01 AM