User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 60 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 1 reviews 335 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trachoma 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Minocycline reviews 211 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Minocycline

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I started taking this less than a week ago, but will be stopping it because of the side effects. It has helped my acne, but the side effects don't make it worth it. I constantly feel nauseous, have headaches, feel feverish, and am unusually exhausted."

Steph3312 July 26, 2015

For Acne: "I'm almost 21 now and have had acne since I was 12ish. My cheeks are scarred from the moderate to severe acne, and so is my back. Before taking the minocycline my acne was running rampage on my face and back, along with hurting my self-esteem. I was put on minocycline and Aczone (it's a topical prescription), and my acne began to clear up very quickly. Not necessarily that the scars went away, but I wasn't haven't break out after break out. Maybe I have some minor stiffness from the antibiotic, but all in all I haven't really had any side effects. Wish everyone the best of luck!"

Bluebird5190 July 25, 2015

For Acne: "I have mild to moderate acne, I was put on doxycycline at first and then put on something stronger (minocycline). I was on it for about a year and half or so. I no longer hand any refills left, my regular doctor told me she could no longer prescribe them and that I had to go back to the dermatologist. The first time I was off it I broke out like crazy, and I'm off it again and I am breaking out all over my chest and forehead. I'm still on the topical cream trentinoin. I'm hoping it's gonna go away, however, I'm afraid it's not because my skin is very oily and causes acne."

thejokerbegins July 23, 2015

For Rosacea: "I saw a dermo for what was diagnosed as rosacea and was put on every topical they had over a 3 month span. My skin got so bad from the pill (allergic reaction) and topical foam, Metrogel, Mirvasa that I was getting seriously depressed. I never had real bad skin I just got flushed in some stressful situations. Hey, I am in sales they are all stressful at the end of a quarter. The medications had me so messed up until I was referred to another highly recommended doctor. He took me off everything and put me on Solodyn. One pill a day, a little lotion, sunscreen. I am not sure if getting off the topical or using Solodyn or both was the answer, but I am getting back to normal. My NEW doctor said he could give me something for the flushing"

TXDale July 20, 2015

For Acne: "I am a 40 y.o. female, I have had acne since I was 14. I've been to a dermatologist and have tried everything from Proactiv to prescription pills, creams, cleansers, steroids and even several different antibiotics. Nothing ever worked, so I gave up. My health insurance changed at the beginning of the year (2015), so I found a new PCP. She asked me if I'd tried any treatments for my acne. I said everything! First she put me on Doxycycline, which seemed to work but made me nauseous. Then she switched the medicine to Minocycline. I noticed a difference the first week! I've been on it for 2 months now, breakouts are healed! I have dark spots where pimples were and put cream on those areas to lighten it. So happy! No more covering up with makeup"

Kchad511 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

For Acne: "Didn't work at all I have moderate to severe acne and this didn't work at all! Do not suggest you try it if you have acne on the face, back, and chest. Anyways hope your experience is better than mine...."

Shims July 8, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I was able to get my first bottle free, and the rest is covered by insurance with $35 out of pocket monthly. Yes, it is more on the pricey side, but having taken it for an entire month, I noticed a difference in less than a week. This stuff has been a miracle for me, and I finally have clear skin."

Maggles July 6, 2015

For Acne: "After exhausting ALL options, this did job. I had severe facial acne and now (3 months later on 100mg/day) I'm 100% clear. I saw a difference in the size of inflammation overnight. Experienced vertigo for the 1st month but you eventually reach equilibrium. My only concern is will it continue to stay clear. *Fingers Crossed*"

PlNKYY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

For Acne: "I have had acne since I was 12 years old. My mom had it and my dad had it. I tried everything in the book but to no vail. My dermatologist put me on minocycline, aczone and tazorac. Within 3 months my face was clear and I wasn't getting new pimples. My pores were less visible and my skin wasn't oil. Then she reduced the minocycline dose to just one week during my period. It worked. And I was able to manage the acne with just topical gels. After two months being off Minocycline, my acne came back and this time it was ten times worse. She put me back on again on it but this time it never cleared my acne as best as first time around. Minocycline is good but it is just a temporary fix. I'm now going the birth control route and see how it works"

BrownEYedGirl1982 June 26, 2015

For Acne: "I was put on minocycline for my acne. About 2 weeks later, I woke up and could not move a bone or muscle in my body. I went to the doctor and they did not know what it was. My acne cleared up however, this pain in my bones was horrendous. I was told I was just stressed by one doctor, had arthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis. I am a very active 20 year old girl. It actually got to the point where it was ruining my life. I went to TEN doctors and I finally figured out myself I had drug induced lupus from forums like this which the doctors agreed. It took me a year for me and doctors to realize. I was injected with 2 cortisone shots in my buttocks and feel better but still not 100%. This drug has ruined my body. Please be careful."

Teresa1313 June 20, 2015

For Acne: "My doctor prescribed this to me after seeing my back acne and being concerned. She wanted to refer me to a dermatologist. Not exactly sure when I would be seeing them. I asked her if their was something they could do to help it for the time being. I've medication for two days taking two 100MG tablets a day. And am already starting to see some of my chest and face acne. Clear up I hope it continues to do so and helps my back as well."

Trusttheminotouch (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 16 and i had acne since like middle school and I got this new dermetalogist and she gave me these pills. At first they worked but now my skin is breaking out...I'm tired"

Nydia Hunter June 17, 2015

For Acne: "I was on minocycline100mg 1 time a day for exactly 5 weeks. the end of the 4th week I started breakout out in tiny little painful pimples all around my nose chin and forehead (places I never really had acne before) it cleaned the places I usually DO get acne pretty well though. anyways my 5th week I never told my derm this happened and he decided on his own to switch me to bactrim because he said it'd be more effective. He told me start the new meds right away. I've been on the new meds for about a week now and the breakouts in those areas have gotten worse not better. I'm so confused :( also there are some side effects my Dr never warned me about. I felt dizzy and sick if I didn't take with food, also drink lots of WATER!!"

Acnesucks445 June 5, 2015

For Acne: "I was so excited about the possibility of this helping me. But about 2 weeks in my joints became stiff and sore, it started in my neck and then went to my fingers. I feel like it's harder to type and pick things up, and I feel a little clumsy and dizzy. I don't know if it's because of the minocycline but it's the only thing that has changed. A huge bummer."

hoop1564 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

For Acne: "I've had previous experience with Akamin 50 and it worked quite well at clearing my skin although I never stuck with it because I lost my prescription after the second repeat out of 5. 3 weeks ago tomorrow I started akamin again to clear up a few pimples I had that were pestering me, was nothing horrible and probably would consider it mild. For the first week it cleared my skin really well and it was virtually perfect. The past 2 weeks since then my skin has been getting progressively worse and is what I would say, worse than it's ever been. I always cleanse my face and do face masks. I would rather I never went on this again at this point."

JCHB (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

For Acne: "Started working within 24 hours! (2 doses) reduced inflammation of a huge deep cyst on my chin. The rest of my face seems to be clearing as well..and its only been a day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on minocycline for about a month now.. And I've noticed a huge difference. Especially around my period I don't break out as bad as I used to. My body is still adjusting to the medicine but it's slowly showing results. If you have any problems with Acne visit a dermatologist.. It's sooo worth it! It's so much better than buying all those expensive face washes that don't work. Trust me.. I've tried everything! Good luck with curing your acne! Those are just a few things I've found work for me! :)"

Jewls2213 May 29, 2015

For Acne: "I am a 16 year old boy,I suffer from fairly mild acne.I have been on minocycline 100mg once a day for about 3 weeks now. I have noticed my acne has become more apparent as if all the spots have come to the surface however this is annoying I have read that the general theme is it gets worse before it gets better. I use Clean and Clear Advantage Spot Control Daily Wash in the morning and night I have so far not really noticed any difference with using this product however it leaves a refreshed tight feel to my face so I moisturise after using Aveeno Moisturising Lotion I would recommend this product however as it stops your skin feeling dry."

Anonymous May 28, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I was on Solodyn for 7 weeks. I had borderline cyst acne and a lot of redness/PIH. Although Solodyn reduced the amount of 'new' acne that I got, and some of the cysts did end up rising to heads and disappeared (albeit slowly), the results weren't as dramatic as I hoped. I was still getting a fair amount of acne (maybe 50% as prior to the medicine after 4 weeks). My dermatologist ended up putting me on doxycycline instead, and it's been much more effective (and MUCH cheaper) than solodyn."

Alex Noonz May 18, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I am over 40 with adult acne for years. I had it under control with epidue for years but something hormonal happened and I had a severe break out and it was bad. My dermatologist started me solodyn 105mg. It worked immediately. My acne cleared up and my face was smooth again. But my only side affect is I have gotten really dark, I haven't read anyone complaints about getting dark so I would like some responses to my post. I don't know if its because I am a black woman. But after reading some of the posts I will start taking a lesser dose to see if that helps."

Cress (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

For Acne: "my family recently experienced a near fatal drug reaction from minocycline. Minocycline induced DRESS I am also an RN I cannot believe this drug is given to children for acne The Drug caused a massive immune response which resulted in a close family members systemic organ failure although the reaction is extremely rare the consequence can be fatal and has been for other children Do you really want to play Russian roulette with your child's life."

Lnrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

For Acne: "Hi everyone. I'm 18 and have been suffering from moderate acne for about 3 years now. I started using Minomycin (minocycline) about 2 weeks ago, with this tropical lotion that is widely known to treat acne. In daytime I use BB cream and foundation to cover my flaws (not sure if that's a wise choice). I have read the views that this is one of those medications that gets worse before it gets better. I have noticed that in the past two days I have started breaking out. I'm not sure if it is the medication, the cream, my daily routine or just stress but my condition is getting worse. Seems like I need to give it a few more weeks to see how it goes."

Gunbee May 9, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 20 and have had acne since I was 13. I only started on this a week ago with the 50 x twice a day. But the first 3 days I missed at least 4 of the tablets. This has caused me to majorly breakout worse than before I started. I've had to drink lots of water because I have been getting bad headaches (nearly migraines). I havent had problems with dizziness or infections. Its probably too early to be posting but hope it helps."

hobbsy3926 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 14 and I started taking it about 1 1/2 weeks ago. At first. my acne got really bad. All of the pimples were coming to the surface. Now, after almost two weeks, I don't have any acne. Warning: Don't start taking this a few days before a big event! Take it about 3 weeks before so all of your acne will be gone. Also, don't take this if you are going to be out in the sun for a long time. I had to learn this the hard way. It makes your skin sun sensitive."

Lbb001 May 3, 2015

For Acne: "I'm a 23 years old and I have mild-moderate acne but will get very bad cystic jaw line break outs for the past 4-5 years. 2-4 large cyst (take long to heal) per month but also have few pesky pimples that show up. I was prescribed 50mg 2x day mino about 2 years ago my face had gotten very bad 2-5 cyst per week. This worked wonders for a few months then slowly got off pill, Since I was experiencing stomachs issues. 4 months ago placed back on mino 100mg x 2 a day helped in preventing largest cyst still not perfect but was happy. ****warning*** got tinnitus- TERRIBLE RINGING IN EARS!!!!!!!!!!! About 1 month into use developed this awful heart beat swosh sound in ears. Since stopping sound has completely stopped. Be careful."

Pineapplejuice222222 April 30, 2015