User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Dynacin, Minocin, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 1 reviews 362 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Minocycline reviews 162 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Minocycline

Review by Asdfghhjkleuuuaaa:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I was taking Solodyn for about a week and a half. My acne was very moderate and it cleared up pretty quickly after taking Solodyn. But it caused a very severe yeast infection and caused me to have nose bleeds.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by Vanitymdl:

For Acne: I've got to say this medication as helped my cystic acne a lot. I am 22 years old and have been suffering with acne for two years now. I would get cystic acne all over my cheeks and it would hurt so bad. I got prescribed this medicine and the first week my skin went through a purging phase and it was breaking out a lot, but no cystic acne. Now on my second week, I'm getting bad side effects. I'm extremely dizzy all the time, lightheaded, and confused. I don't know why I'm getting these side effects now, but I am miserable.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 11:51 AM

Review by Jane_the.jammer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I love minocycline! I used to get so many little whiteheads that it make my face look like it was covered with mosquito bites or something. The pills cleared it up in about a week and I haven't had any acne since. I don't have oily skin so the pills were great, the creams I tried just irritated my skin. I strongly recommend minocycline!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Lynz b 90:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: My acne was terrible. I felt like I had tried everything and that my next option was going to have to be Accutane (something I really did not want to try!). I tried like 4 different dermatologists before I was finally recommended to try Solodyn and within 2-3 months my acne began clearing and not coming back. I took it for about 6 months and I had a few pimples (but they were nothing like the ones I had before) and some scarring. I started slowing going off the Solodyn by taking half a pill every day and then every other day until I just totally stopped. It's been about 6 or 7 months since my last Solodyn pill and my skin still looks great. I usually will have one or two small pimples but I usually just spot treat with Epiduo.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Meg44422:

For Acne: I suffered from acne since a teen and nothing ever worked. At 22 I wanted to give up. I tried minocycline before and it didnt work. The dermatologist gave it to me while I wanted the month before I went on Accutane. It ended up working this time. I still get two to three small pimples a month and I still have a ton of scarring on my cheeks, but I don't even care. My face is smooth and feels amazing. I started taking 100mg twice a day but I am trying 100mg once a day to try and ween my body off so hopefully I can stop and the acne wont come back. It has been about 4 months since I started taking it. It does take time, but once it started working about the 6 week in, my face was clear.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I just started taking minocycline (Day 5) and its drying out my skin really bad! But I think that it's just drying out my pores and cysts? I'm not sure. Anyway, I am prescribed to use Epiduo gel after I wash my face and it BURNS MY WHOLE FACE because I feel like I'm missing a layer of my skin! That being said, I DO see improvements- my cysts are going down, but when I started the meds, I did get 2 new cysts, which was horrible.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by meriel (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I LOVE minocycline. I used to have HORRIBLE acne all over my cheeks that would lead me to cake my face with makeup everyday and I hated it. Then I tried minocycline and my skin was flawless within a week. I completely stopped wearing makeup because my skin looked great. However last week, I ran out of my refills of the prescription so I had to see my dermatologist and he gave me doxycycline and I HATED it. Every time I took it I would vomit and it made my acne MUCH worse. In going back to minocycline tomorrow and hopefully my skin will clear up again.

September 8, 2014 2:51 AM

Review by Holley Hammy:

For Acne: I've been taking 100mg 2 times a day for 3 months now. It has cleared my shoulders/back/chest pretty well as well as my face being mostly clear too. It works best if you take it consistently. I am a very busy 16 year old girl with sports and school. If I skip a dosage I notice a few blemishes on my shoulders appear. If you get on this and you don't see a difference in a month, call your doctor and ask if they can up your dosage. If you follow the regulations and take it as directed, it works pretty good. I recommend it to anyone who is struggling with finding a face wash to work for them.

August 31, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Bunny23:

For Acne: I've dealt with moderate acne for ten years. Last year, I started getting constant cystic acne on my back (one or two at all times) and some on my face. The ones on my back were really scarring. I went on minocycline for three months and I have been off of it for about three months. The cystic acne completely disappeared and has not returned. I still get the occasional pimple, but it is not cystic and MUCH less frequent than it was in the past. I am very pleased that the medicine cleared up my skin and that I no longer need to take it. Even if my acne returns in the future (I hope it doesn't), the past six months of clear skin is easily worth the time and money.

August 28, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by h2434:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: This medicine leaves me feeling undecided and confused. First off, it made me break out bad, and in a type of way I never did before. I had huge cysts all over my back. My Dr said that it "gets everything out of your skin then clears you up." I did clear up after 4 months on it. It wasn't until the last month it improved. Problem is that it scarred me everywhere from the cysts. I never broke out on my back like that before, and it actually hurt. I'm hoping the scars become less dark. Bottom line: It broke me out bad for 3 months and then cleared up and I'm left with scars. Skin is much clearer but I'm still getting small pimples on shoulders and face.

August 28, 2014 12:01 AM

For Acne: I am a teenager and have been suffering from mild to now severe acne for a few years. I have tried so many creams and some worked for maybe a week or so and then stopped doing anything but make my skin irritated and dry. I've been on Minocycline for about 4 month now...it has cleared up my back and chest but has done nothing to my face. I still get acne on my cheeks, nose, and chin. Next step for me would be Accutane but I'm hesitant to try that.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by TinaWa:

For Acne: I have only been on 100mg on Monocycline for about a week and a half and have shown such improvements! I have had some acne on and off and for about 8 years, and it is so annoying it never goes away! I finally went to the dermatologist and begged for Accutane. They started the Procedures and said that I will need another month to get all my tests done. Since then my acne has improved a ton!! I don't even think I will need Accutane.

August 20, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by Chrisnunez55 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: It works great. You will see your acne getting better very fast.

August 13, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by mcm0520 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I'm a healthy 25 year old female who's been on minocycline for about 3-4 months now. It's worked wonders and I didn't have any side effects to it, until now. About two weeks ago, I had this awful abdominal pain that landed me in the ER for fear it was my appendix. Everything came back perfect. I've since cut back on my antibiotic and only take it every other day because through process of elimination, I think it's the culprit to my abdominal pain. My PCP told my I may have developed acute IBS or irritable bowel syndrome from the minocycline (since it is an anti-biotic and will get rid of normal flora). I'm very upset that I have to stop it; I rarely use any cover up now because my skin is so clear.

June 25, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Not worth it:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I took Solodyn for three years. I had been on Accutane the previous year, it cleared up my skin well, but then I started to get blemishes again. The Solodyn worked well, though I still had hormonal acne two weeks every month. I was happy with the results. Then, after about a year of being on it, I left for college and started to have very bad stomach issues. Overtime they worsened, but my doctors could not figure out what was wrong. I saw three different specialist, had colonoscopies, endoscopies, scans, tests, labs, etc. but no conclusions could be made. Then, my dermatologist decided to just take me off the solodyn to see if it had an effect. My stomach isn't 100% better, but I can already tell a difference in my health.

April 29, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Kjeanne (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was on minocycline for 7 days when I began rapidly breaking out in hives. I have had to go to both urgent care and the ER to find relief via Epipen. Words cannot express how much pain I am in from these hives and swelling. The medicine did clear up my skin but the hives and pain were bad. Doctors say to expect hives and continued reaction for upwards of two weeks.

April 29, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by newjerseyfp (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was put on this for acne. The first two weeks, I dealt with dizziness and exhaustion. The day I reached two weeks, I broke out in terrible hives and severe joint pain that landed me in the ER. I really wanted this medicine to work but could not continue it.

April 20, 2014 12:27 AM

Review by azirkelb (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I am 16 and I have been on Solodyn for about a year and a half. The first month I started taking it my skin cleared way up, but then it got bad again. Now, if I stop taking it, I breakout worse than before so it is really just keeping my acne somewhat controlled but it had NOT cleared up my face at all.

April 3, 2014 7:52 PM

Review by Jo1983:

For Acne: I've always had clear skin until I got pregnant when I was 29. Suddenly I had cystic pimples on my chin almost constantly. When I had my baby it didnt get any better, I was tired of having the painful bumps on my face all the time so I told my doctor about it, she perscibed minocycline and within a week I noticed a huge improvement, my chin has totally cleared up !!

March 17, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Critterling (taken for less than 1 month):

For Skin Infection: I was prescribed this because I had an infection in my ankle due to an impacted metal. While I waited for surgery to remove it I was prescribed this for a period of two weeks. I was extremely dizzy and weak on it. Thankfully the podiatrist that ended up doing the surgery changed me to another antibiotic that had no side effects and kept me infection free until the surgery could be performed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 7:37 PM

Review by MsLulu M IL (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was prescribed first the Z-pack and took that for 5 days and then to continue by taking one minocycline 100 mg capsules (once a day) for adult cystic acne. I was feeling fine the first week on minocycline but the second week, I had to completely take myself off the minocycline because I was miserable. First, it was sinus, then sinus headaches with blurry visions on and off. Then my joints started hurting, especially in my hands and lower back. I also felt dizzy when moving too fast from one position to another and started to feel like I was under a haze all the time.

February 19, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by In search of clear (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I've been on minocycline for five days now and I've noticed the acne on my skin starting to clear up pretty well and I bet two more weeks would clear it fully. But the side effects are too difficult to bare. I feel far too tired, my mouth is always dry and has a bitter taste no matter what I eat or how much I brush my teeth. But most recently my throat swelled up to the point where I could barely gulp. Overall I think it has potential to be a great product. But for me it wasn't worth the suffering.

February 3, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by Tey505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: This medication worked absolute wonders for me! After having tried several topical treatments on my adult acne, with little to no result it wasn't at all like teenage acne that I had experienced in high school. This acne came in my second year of university and lasted until my fourth and final year, which was when I decided to take action. I was prescribed minocycline. Although results will vary with EVERY person, my results were almost instantaneous! I took the pills the first day, went to bed. Took them the second day, went to bed... when I woke up I had almost NOTHING on my face. It was amazing and has stayed away. I was also lucky enough to not experience any side effects! It has been two years since, and the acne hasn't returned.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Smile You're Beautiful. :):

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: Hello everyone! So over winter break I gained a HUGE allergic reaction from an acne face wash that made me break out with acne ALL over my face. BIG CYSTIC PIMPLES. Yeah, it was really bad. I was embarrassed, I didn't want my family to even see me. I was ashamed. My mother took me to the dermatologist that Friday and I was prescribed Solodyn. I got two weeks prescription for free. I had an amazing experience so far, its only been a week, exactly a week from today that I've been on this medication.($35 for 3 months medication) I don't regret it at ALL. The only side effect it has had on me is tiredness after school. My acne has cleared about 90% if not more. I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone with a very ugly acne break out.

January 10, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by Oksanagirl:

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: I've had acne since I was 14yrs old, and I'm 18 now. So I've been suffering for 4 years now. I've tired everything to get rid of my acne. I had some cystic acne and just regular acne, but it would be all over my face and leave bad scarring. It was very embarrassing. I finally decided I would do something about it. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me Solodyn. My face cleared up within a month, I have never seen my face this clear before it's like I never even had acne, all that's left is scars though. But this medicine from my experience works great, and I didn't experience any serious side effects. I highly recommend it.

January 2, 2014 8:22 AM