User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Cleeravue-M, Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 59 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 5 reviews 149 medications

4.8
Summary of Minocycline reviews 250 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Minocycline

For Acne: "Be very careful with this medication as it may lead to pseudotumor cerebra which is a very serious side effect (though pretty rare) that can cause permanent vision loss. I was only on the medication from the end of November through middle of January; I was taking it twice a day. The beginning of January I started to have constant horrible headaches then tunnel vision when standing. I then started having severe head and neck pain, dizziness, my vision would go in and out and I felt an intense pressure in my head. I eventually ended up spending well over a week in the hospital, had 3 spinal taps due to very high ICP and in the end with a VP shunt in my brain with a tube to my stomach that I'll have the rest of my life."

B.b.k. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

For Acne: "I was on this antibiotic when I was in my early 20's and it worked really well. My skin cleared within a week. Although I started to get joint pain and had to stop taking it. A couple of years later I went back on it and I didn't have any side effects but the doctor asked me to stop taking it because of the longer term side effects. My skin has always been up and down but 3 years later it started to concern me so a dermatologist prescribed me them again a couple of weeks Only this time the side effects were so much worse. I was vomiting and had severe chest pains, making it hard for me to breathe. I couldn't belive that the antibiotic that had worked so well for me was causing this amount of pain. So please, where you can, avoid taking them"

Hppy January 31, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 19, started this when I was 18 and within a month and a half, all my acne was gone. Very happy :)"

Ki000 January 29, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "Cress, I am also over 40 years of age and African American with adult acne, and I couldn't find a regimen for my recurring acne problems/breakouts. I was prescribed Solodyn a couple weeks ago, and so far I like the results. I haven't noticed any darkening to my skin, however I will post again within 2-3 months to inform if I noticed any discoloration to my skin. I'm using Elta MD Broad Spectrum SPF 40 as part of my skin regimen, as advised by my dermatologist. I am not often too exposed to the sun, however the little amount of time I am exposed to the sun, the sunscreen comes in handy."

Rece January 28, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 18 and I've been taking this for 6 months and it's made a pretty noticeable difference. I used to have a new breakout everyday and now I hardly get a single breakout at all. It cleared my face within a month or so and has kept my face clear the almost the entire time, with one exception. It says not to take this medicine with a calcium and iron supplement and I started taking both and my face started breaking out again! So listen to what the doctor tells you!"

Haley713 January 24, 2016

For Acne: "Can't say enough good things about Minocycline. I suffered from moderate/severe acne on my face, chest and back all throughout high school and this medication was the only thing that helped me. It took about a month to start to see results but after about 3 months I had absolutely no acne ANYWHERE. (Of course I made sure to have a good washing/topical regimen too) Just make sure you take this with no dairy products (they cause antibiotics to not work as well)and drink a lot of water . Minocycline is a live saver"

seahawks15 January 22, 2016

For Acne: "This medication changed my life! I'm 22 and had had acne for about 4 years. I had tried everything from OTC to home remidies to topical gels from my general doctor, but nothing worked. I finally went to the derm and he prescribed 100mg twice a day. That was too much for my body and I got severe nausea, headaches, anxiety. I opted to only take one 100mg pill every night and within three weeks I saw drastic changes! Now 3 months in I have no live breakouts just a couple scars!"

DancerStudent&BusinessOwner January 9, 2016

For Acne: "I have had severe acne for 5 years. only on chin (half of the face). I'm 20 years old and have been to about 5 different derms. The last derm gave me this pill but it was for only 1 month and 50 mg per day. I used this only one month and didn't see any change and stopped using it. After a while the same derm gave it to me again for 1 month and I didn't see any change. I'm currently going to another derm and he prescribed it to me 75 mg 2 times per day for two months. My face cleared to the point that I didn't have to use makeup the last month of using it and one month after using it. Later I was on stressed because of finals and my severe acne came back but not as bad as before. I'm on it 100 mg 2 times per day (I am hoping after using it my acne doesn't come back again)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

For Acne: "I had bad cases of blackheads and I wanted to be acne free for my Graduation. I started taking this in December of 2012. My skin was clear, I was happy, until February of 2013. My vision started a black veil curtain effect, I would get severe dizziness. Went to the eye doctor, got sent to a hospital, they didn't know what was wrong with me, all of a sudden I got something wrong in my spine andnstarted crushing my brain and eye nerves. I got 3 lumbar punctures and a medicine called Diamox. I got worse and worse and one day I said screw it, and I stopped taking everything. It all cleared up and went away, however, I now have nerve damage in my back and the vision and dizziness will never truly disappear. Effective meds, but at what cost you should ask..."

Surubi January 4, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I am 18 have suffered with acne for a good 4-5 years. When I first got my period, my acne was the worst. I was so upset everyday I would cry. My dermatologist recommended solodyn and also yasemin (birth control). These both worked great!! I am not sure if the yasemin has quite the impact but solodyn definitely helped so much with my acne. The only con I would have to say that it is a bit pricey but it's worth it."

Camilaaa99 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2016

For Acne: "This drug is effective... together with Epiduo. Why? Becase Minocycline is a tetracycline antibiotics to cure bacterical infections: severe acne. Now, Epiduo is a gel with adapalene and benzoyl peroxide used to remove acne on one's face. Minocycline fights the bacteria in your body that causes acne, at the same time, Epiduo is used to remove present acne. Take Minocycline everyday but Epiduo is only used when you have "present" acne on your face. This drug MUST be taken after eating. It may impair your thinking and thoughts so don't be too shocked if it happens to you. And Epiduo MUST be used after cleansing your face and dried it. Make sure to use moisturiser. Using it for 8 months, I barely get acne now and scars on my face are healing."

Episkey December 29, 2015

For Acne: "Workedad wonders!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 23, 2015

For Acne: "My daughter started breaking out 2 years ago and we tried almost everything out there. She started high school this fall and was very insecure about her face, she has been on minocycline for about three months and we have noticed a significant change. Her face is not 100% clear however it's improved quite a bit. She has more confident which is just a blessing. I have also started taking minocycline for my cystic acne and it has helped. Good luck to you all, acne is such a difficult problem to deal with so best wishes to you all."

aztomt December 14, 2015

For Acne: "Excellent! It cleared up my skin immediately and now I don't even think about it any more which is such a huge relief. My dermatologist gave it to me for 2 months, so my time is almost up, and I'm not sure if I need to get more or if I'll be clear now. It's so nice to have great skin again!!"

KiwiRachel December 14, 2015

For Acne: "I took this medication everyday for about five years. I saw a big difference during the first few weeks and then, no more improvement. After two years, I asked my doctor if I could stop. Considering I was 14, he said it was the worst time to stop since it was the period where everyone has a lot. Scared, I listened to him for three more years until I decided to stop. I saw no change, so it was a vain fear. Now I really regret taking those pills. After a year without this medication, my immune system is still in pretty bad shape. I am always sick, I can't possibly hope not to get sick when there is someone sick around me. I got like five infections in less then two months during summer (vaginal, eyes, ears, dental after wisdom teethextraction"

Samielle (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 12, 2015

For Acne: "I am a 24yr old female, I've had moderate acne since I was 13. I'm along with the many of you who have tried everything... I've done two rounds of Accutane (17yrs and 22 yrs) which cleared up my skin for about 1.5-2yrs. However, this time I started breaking out worse than ever. I didn't want to go back on Accutane due to the cost and responsibility (monthly blood work, monthly derm. visits, monthly pregnancy tests, copays & cost = nightmare) so I was recently put onto 100MG twice a day in addition to topical Aczone (am) and Tazorac (pm). I have only been on it for a week, and so far and have noticed no huge side effects other than dry eyes and a little unusually tired. Nothing extreme, we'll see how it goes."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

For Rosacea: "I have had rosacea for about a year. It was really bad in the winter months. I was perscribed minocycline a month ago and my face is 100% better. I have noticed that my hair feels totally different. I normally have dry curly hair, and now it is straight and healthy. Has anyone else noticed this with their hair?"

Becke 0 December 6, 2015

For Acne: "I took minocycline for about a month for acne and I started to get dry eyes after 1 month I went to the eye doctor and they said my tears weren't as good as they should be, I strongly believe that the minocycline caused my dry eyes. They get tired during the day. I have read that certain acne medications cause dry eyes. It's horrible I have the dry eyes every day. Don't take this drug at all."

bellagio December 5, 2015

For Acne: "Took it for six months and nothing cleared up and I had an especially red spot on my nose. I stopped taking the pill and the red spot went away. A few weeks later I started taking it again and the red spot came back. It doesn't work, only makes things worse"

............,,,, November 13, 2015

For Acne: "This medicine was amazing for my acne. It went away almost immediately. For once I just didn't have to worry about it and it was great. I stopped wearing makeup altogether. HOWEVER... it made me very aggressive and angry all the time. It gave me severe anxiety, and made me very emotional. I'd fight with everyone. I even saw a therapist for my anger. But once I got off the drug I completely calmed down. It took over my head. I had no control. My boyfriend almost dumped me. My best friend hated me. It was not worth it. My acne came back and I considered it again... but with all those side effects... it can also give you arthritis and lupus with extended use. I just don't trust it. So now i only saw it as a temporary solution."

EmeraldEyes153 November 9, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on solodyn (minocycline) for about a week now and it's definitely helped. I never had the bad initial breakout like some do but my cheek acne hasn't completely cleared up, still getting some cysts and whiteheads. Hopefully will get 100% better within the next few weeks. Ps I went on doxycycline for three months last year and cleared me up completely but broke out worse than ever after I got off of it so be careful and have a plan when you get off of these kinds of antibiotics."

Becca1578 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Acne: "You MUST take this medication with food or you will feel nauseous and sick. It's a effective medication with few side effects as long as you take it on a full stomach."

Hawkette (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "16 years old on solodyn and ziana for 3wks. My face has cleared up significantly. I have cystic acne, I started breaking out badly in sept of this year. I tried basically everything over the counter. My mom took me to a dermatologist and this is what he prescribed , so far it works. However , still wash with panoxyl am and pm and benzac for spot treatment. When my skin is vey dry I use yes to tomatoes moisturizer and daily repair treatment ."

Ellington November 4, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on this medication for over 2 years, off and on. My derma said it could cause long term effects such a blue gums and teeth but I hadn't noticed that side effect until recently on my gums. The minocycline helped with my hormonal acne, but not my usual breakouts. I've struggled with acne for 10+ years so it's obviously frustrating but my derma has had me try everything to avoid the possibility of me going onto isotretenoin. Since I've noticed my gums turning blue, I decided to stop taking the minocycline. Ever since I stopped my skin has been looking clearer. I don't think this medication or antibiotic is meant for long term use at all."

sarr15 November 3, 2015

For Acne: "I started taking Minocycline at the beginning of the summer 2015. around May or June. I am 16 years old and have had a lot of trouble with acne all throughout junior high and high school. After taking Minocycline for the first week, it got worse before it got better. I think the medicine was essentially pushing the toxins out of my skin and in turn creating more acne. After the first week, i had the clearest skin i have ever had. It not only improved the acne itself, but also my complexion. I would recommend Minocycline for anyone in their teen years suffering from mild acne on their face and shoulders. I give it a 9 because it doesn't work for everyone. there have been lots of reported side effects. It really depends on the person."

Bella Weldon November 1, 2015