User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"Had severe pressure in my chest and thought I maybe having a more serious underlying health problem, so ended up going to Dr who in turn immediately wanted to rule out a Pulmanary Embolism (blood clot in lungs) due to symptoms and blood work that showed elevated levels of a D-Dimer test. So she sent me immediately over to ER to have CT and Chest X-ray completed. The ER doctor saw me and ran his usual self examination of me with my symptoms and come to find out I have H-Pylori, bacterial infection in my stomach. Gave me Flagyl 3x daily and Doxycycline 2 daily along with pepto and Prilosec. I'm on day 4 and my side effects are Severe Bloating, chest pain , and just feeling not myself. The taste is awful, but the cramping is worse."

Praying it helps! (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

"I hardly have any side effects (day4/5). One positive effect is that I am much more happy. Not sure what or why. I did have a headache tonight and I felt kind of like I am withdrawing from caffeine. (I don't drink coffee) Only one occasion of constipation a few days ago but ate a lot of fiber to take care of this. Urine is darker than normal in the morning & that's with same amount of water a day, average 4 pint glasses per day. This drug seems to have weakened parasite in gut, can't wait to get the other meds. I sleep well and no other side effects. Maybe some subtle balance problems when walking."

Psalm 91 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"I've just finished these and felt a bit strange and dizzy. Was glad the 7 days were over! However 3 days now since I finished them and today I am feeling awful terrible diarrhea and sickness, so it doesn't necessarily finish when you stop then. You still shouldn't drink alcohol for at least 2 days after stopping them!"

DougsterMan March 20, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Most horrible side effects: Bitter taste in mouth even hours after administration, balance problems, confusion, surroundings seem unreal, like walking in a dream ( not a good one) concentration problems, general malaise, not able to eat anything but oatmeal and mashed potatoes. Extreme weight loss. Had to stop after 11 doses. Stomach worse then before. I have to add that I also had Amoxicillin and Protonix at the same time, maybe the combination was at fault for this extreme reaction."

Traude (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2014

"Metronidazole causes me to have headaches, bloated stomach with cramps(sometimes severe), and a heavy feeling. Prescribed for H-Pylori treatment for 10 days along with Clarithomycin. It also causes a lack of appetite. When taking this medicine, it will taste bad and leave a bad taste in your mouth and throat for a few hours. I find drinking a hot beverage like cocoa or low acid coffee after taking it has helped relieve the bad taste but doesn't get rid of it completely. For Manufacturer's: Manufacturer's should really consider making this as a hard caplet. Maybe even adding a flavor enhancer. In it's current form, it almost immediately starts dissolving before being swallowed with a disgusting salty taste."

sgenter (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2013

"I have really bad headaches taking this and its only my second day on this. I also feel very very tired and a heavy and foggy head I feel dizzy as well. I feel a little sick but not to bad and I have a funny taste in my mouth I have another 8 days of taking this and just hope I don't feel worse or I might have to stop. I also have stabbing pains in my belly which I never had before. "

mizzx February 2, 2012

"Awful! Constant headache, being sick, diarrhea, sore stomach, dizzy, feel hungry during the night."

Anonymous December 4, 2011