User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Dental Abscess

"Day 5 of 6 taking this for a dental abcess in my jaw....still in agony! Doesn't appear to of helped the infection at all. One more day left of them...help!"

applemonkey May 22, 2015

"Went from spending two days unable to sleep due to absolutely unbearable tooth pain to more or less no more pain in 24 hours. Slight feelings of nausea but it doesn't even register compared to the horrific pain I was experiencing before it."

Bridge27 April 9, 2015

"I am on 3rd day of medication after having a severe tooth abscess. Infection and pain subsided to almost nil. Only side effect is drowsiness and slight depression but I can live with this as opposed to the horrendous pain of the abscess. 4 days to go for a tooth extraction as it is wobbly and loose."

Dobbinblue March 31, 2015

"took one , felt bad./ took second dose according to schedule....stood up to go to bed, blacked out, ended up in ER with concussion. / no way would i take this again. / there has to be better antibiotics than this dangerous drug."

wayness (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"it seems to be helping the infection but the side effects are hard to deal with. Not used to being nauseous or having any kind of side effects at all. But I have found out that smoking marijuana helps with the nausea and the dizziness. Highly recommend the drug if you have an infection. But also highly recommend having a bag of herb for the nausea. I would highly recommend smoking before you take your daily dose. It that stops the nausea before it ever happens."

bez336 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

"Prescribed with amoxycillin, I have sore joints, am weaker than normal, have the most intense and beefy (flows like liquid but there's more oomph to it than normal) diarrhea, but the swelling in my jaw is dwindling rapidly after day 3 of a 7 day course. It's worth the side effects for me, especially since the diarrhea is almost enjoyable because of the sheer novelty of it."

Jabroni (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2014

"The medicine is on my 3rd day, taken 3 pills daily, pain on my right side of my stomach, like stabbing pains, dry mouth, whole body is weak, can't get to sleep, loss of appetite, so far so good, but the side effects are bugging me."

dieHarder (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

"After having blood blister that was black burst in my mouth by an abscess tooth I felt really ill eventually I went to the dentist who put me on this medicine, one thing I will say it's very very very strong! And as I don't normally take medication really, it knocked me out! I had broken sleep, waking up every few hours or so tingling in my hands, very bad dizziness and nausea, constipation, coating of my tongue anxiety as I'm mentally ill and very spaced out and feeling medicated. Had no Choice though either I took it or ended up in hospital! Last day taking it today and hoping and praying the infection is cleared up."

Kay1212 November 12, 2014

"Like a previous reviewer, I was given metronidazole (3 x 200mg daily) for a tooth abscess after amoxycillin failed to clear the infection. Within 48 hours, as well as easing pain from the abscess, my Chronic Fatigue symptoms almost totally disappeared! After 7 years of believing that there was no hope of treatment I felt I had been given my life back again! Keen to investigate this further, my husband stumbled on the review by baroness 140, on 23 Feb 2014. We were stunned by the similarities. I received14 days treatment with metronidazole to allow for extraction of the tooth. I wait to see if the reprieve from CFS will continue."

tezza471 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2014

"Insomnia was the only really troubling side effect for me. Slight metallic taste in mouth around day 3, but was gone in 24 hrs. Mild diarrhea, stomach was a bit more acidic than usual but nothing I couldn't deal with. Always took with full meal, had NO ALCOHOL (even mouthwash with alcohol is too much on this med re: pharmacist) and took with Gatorade (helps with bad taste). Be gentle with your body on this med. I found that not having caffeine, any NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc.) or anything harsh on the stomach works best. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while on this med - EVEN 1 DRINK. I had already tried 1 course of penicillin and 1 course of amoxicillin before this med, neither worked - 6 days on this, jaw pain & swelling is gone!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2014

"Effective to a point but had most awful side effects, including nausea, diarrhea, numb tingling over abdomen, arm neck and back (all down one side) headaches, dizziness, weakness and fatigue."

Cazter101 June 4, 2014

"I was put on amoxicillin for abscessed tooth and it helped but did not completely clear the infection. Am on Flagyl now and I feel better than I have in years. Instead of sleeping ten hours a night I am sleeping about six and yet I have more energy than I have ever had. I feel so good right now that I would like to take this forever. My fibromyalgia is in remission and the chronic fatigue is gone. This is an awesome. I wonder if the really bad side effects for other patients is because they are allergic to it, or this antibiotic is just not the right one for the infection that they have (and are they staying away from fermented sugars/alcohol?)."

baroness140 February 23, 2014

"Was given 3 x 400mg daily for 5 days, after I had 4 teeth extracted under sedation. It made me feel very unwell. So tired, headaches, dizzy, no energy, a brain fog too. No tooth or gum infection though ! Stopped taking it 24 hours ago, hoping to feel better soon."

Wisey1981 September 30, 2013

"I on my 3rd day with this pill for my wisdom tooth being infected. Several side effects include feeling sick to the stomach, loss of appetite, dizziness and weakness. I have 2 days left and only a little bit of the pain has gone. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2012

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This was the first time I received Metronidazole for a tooth infection, usually they prescribe Keflex (cephalexin) or Amoxacillin. I would say that the Metronidazole worked quicker at easing the pain and It wasn't a capsule so I had an easier time swallowing it however, I have been suffering serious nausea followed by diarhea since I began taking it. Then last night without thinking about the interaction had a few drinks and spent the night vomiting and very ill with nausea, dry heaves etc. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH THIS MEDICINE and always read your labels and accompanying info, I usually do but I've never had any kind of reaction to an antibiotic so I got lazy I suppose, because it was clearly stated on the bottle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2012

Flagyl (metronidazole): "It is very useful for treating dental abscess but a combination will work better, along with amoxicillin. Flagyl alone might not be good enough."

dr d July 13, 2010

"It worked so well, I came off the Motrin."

The Granny June 22, 2010

Flagyl (metronidazole): "It is a good antibiotic for anaerobic bacteria. I prescribe it for my patients in conjunction with another antibiotic for the aerobic bacteria (example Amoxil)."

refa3a October 12, 2009

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Dental Abscess