User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

Review by karsheeda:

Like everyone else, I've ignored the symptoms for a couple months but you just get over the discharge and smell and all you want is to get rid of it. I have the 5 day dose 3 times a day. The dosage is really really affordable. By day 2 all the smell and discharge had disappeared. Weird thing is, on day 2 I had some weird reaction where my eyes had this sticky feeling and had some white like substance the following morning. Dehydration, and lack of sleep are the other side effects I have experienced. Besides that, its working wonders and I'm just glad to be over with the infection and vile medicine in a couple days. FYI: thanks for letting me know I should wait a few days before drinking alcohol. Wish you all the best.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by symptom free:

After reading some of the reviews on this medication I was a little afraid so I held on to the medicine for a week until I begin to take it. My experience has been good so far and this is day 5. I'm not a person who can swallow pills so like grandmom use to do, I smash them to crumbles and take with applesauce. My symptoms went away on day 2.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by WORD OR ADVICE!:

I get bacterial vaginitis quite often, 5-6 times a year. I'm taking the pill now and I was given some NEW advice from the pharmacist! The instructions on the bottle say DO NOT drink alcohol, however I was told that even USING products that contain an alcohol ingredient can give you horrible rashes and hives. So just a word of caution, invest in some regular Dove soap alcohol and sulfate free lotion and put your pretty perfumes and lotions on the shelf for a little over a week!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I seem to get bacterial vaginitis often, about 2-3 times a year. I tried Flagyl in the pill form and vaginal gel on different occasions. For me, they both clear up the infection by the 3rd day. The only difference is, I do not experience side effects with the vaginal gel, but with the pill I experience stomach cramps and fatigue.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by BabyyCakes:

I cover my pill with peanut butter completely & then take it. That nasty taste doesn't get in your mouth. If I don't do that then I feel like I'm going to spit it right back up. Just thought I would share that.

August 14, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Tonya18:

I think it works. Yes it does clear up the bacterial vaginitis. However I have terrible back pain. Joint pains, headache, awful taste in mouth. Been 5 days on metronidazole for the first time and these side effects mostly have me in bed. I am 18 and anemic. I like the fact that I smell better already. Hate that each day if taking this medicine, feels like the first day of my period. Except that I am not having my period.. Good thing its only a few days 2 to go.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I just took my first dose last night after I ate a 'hearty' meal (as advised by the pharmacist), and already this morning the smell is gone. As well as most of the discharge, yay. I started noticing the smell about two weeks ago (to me, literally the worst smell I have ever smelt on myself) and am going on vacation soon so I figured it was not going away on it's own. I have to take it 2x/day 500mg for 7 days. Lunch and Dinner.

July 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Steph08 (taken for less than 1 month):

I also had the problem with the Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). I was so ashamed because of the horrible smell and discharge. I also had problems with the smell escaping my clothing and was so embarrassed to be around anyone. I am now taking metronidazole and it has worked wonders. No smell, no discharge or itching. I had no side effects. So thankful this medication is available! Saved my life!

July 22, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Had terrible smell and had discharge constantly. After the second day on antibiotics it went away! But once during the 10 day period I had sex, so please follow directions NO SEX because you will ruin the treatment and will have to start over.

July 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by AnnaBellea:

I randomly developed a foul discharge, went to the doctor right away and she prescribed me this medicine to take two times a day for seven days. It does work but the side effect for me have been TERRIBLE. Day 1 I couldn't sleep, and every day after that I've been sick to my stomach as well as drowsy. On the bright side it works.

July 8, 2014 7:56 PM

I have taken this medicine and it does work. I'd advice a person to take it while at home with food because it may upset your stomach and cause you to go to bathroom. It leaves a metal taste in my mouth and alters the taste of food on the first day. After the first 2 days I was fine and symptoms cleared instantly. But continue the whole dosage to reassure infection is gone.

June 26, 2014 2:59 AM

Review by UNKOWN CHICA:

My obgyn prescribed this for me and today makes three days and I can tell that it very effective quick . I had a strong smell and used to hate having sex with my boyfriend because of the odor . Normally I'm wet with clear but it has been clumpy and white . Hanging around my friends I had to drench myself in perfume because the smell would trespass through my clothes and I would be embarrassed . I had this issue for quite some months close to a year . I thought it was a I'm here and I'll go away soon type of thing . Overall love the pill I had no side effects just eat before you take it.

June 16, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by Sickly sweet (taken for less than 1 month):

Had an odor for about a year before being diagnosed after the discharge got heavy. The smell penetrated everything I wore and ranged from fishy to sickly sweet and metallic. I've been taking the pills twice daily for six days and I'm fairly certain my symptoms are gone! Awful taste that stays with you all day though.

June 12, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Uptownchic (taken for less than 1 month):

I was experiencing crazy discharge with no odour or other symptoms. Just watery discharge. Within hours of taking this medicine the discharge stopped. I'm so happy!

June 6, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Gross and over it:

I have had bacterial vaginitis for over a year now, experiencing a multitude of odors - sometimes fishy, sometimes sweet, sometimes metallic. Also dealt with the uncomfortable discharge that requires panty liners and constant underwear changing. I got the 7-day pill supply, 500 mg, 2X/day. I am currently on my final day. The odor cleared up almost instantly, and the discharge was gone by the time I was taking the 2nd pill! Oh, and side effects were minimal and very tolerable! However, yesterday (6th day) I had a massive clump of discharge, larger than I've ever experienced, and I began to itch terribly. Not sure if this is something else, but I'm waiting to finish the pill supply and give it a few days before I contact the doc.

May 31, 2014 5:10 PM

Review by 444vvvv:

After 3 days, I've felt really nauseous non stop. My stomach is non stop hurting. But, I haven't had any weird odor or discharge. Bad side effects.

May 24, 2014 7:14 PM

Review by Misha20 (taken for less than 1 month):

I experienced itching around the opening of my vagina, a fishy/musty odor and clumpy discharge. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with. I'm on my second day of dosage with this medicine, and all of those symptoms are gone, but I'm going to finish out the 7 days to make sure it's gone for good. Now, I don't have to be ashamed anymore.

May 8, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by kjautry:

This medicine is great at killing infections. I had bacterial vaginitis pretty bad and by day two the symptoms were gone. I'm on day 5 of 7 day treatment of 500mg twice a day and I haven't had much symptoms till tonight. Before I was feeling some dizziness, some fatigue and lack of concentration. I was also suffering from very uncomfortable constipation. Tonight after taking it I've felt nauseous and my stools are starting to get softer. I'm really afraid to take it tomorrow for in fear of how bad it will make me feel.

May 5, 2014 12:06 AM

I have been taking this pill, I've been skipping days because I forget BUT let me tell you this medicine does wonders. I had a very strong fish odor and it would even trespass my pants, it was so horrible! With heavy discharge and different color discharge but I'm so amazed with this medicine.

April 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Metronidazole:

I'm on day 6 of my medication and it has worked wonders. I had a strong fishy smelling discharge for two months, that lasted all day. Literally on DAY 2 of my medication the odor and the discharge disappeared! I didn't have to keep changing underwear or wiping off my undies anymore. This medication gave me my life and confidence back. The taste of the medicine is pretty bitter if you let it sit on your tongue, so have your water ready so you can drink it fast. Also eat a small meal before to avoid nausea. NOT AFTER. The first 2 days I ate after and felt like I just couldn't make it through the day. After that I tried eating before and the nausea didn't come back. Hope this helped!

April 17, 2014 2:34 PM

This medicine helped it go away completely in the 7 day treatment but it is the WORST thing I have ever tasted in my life and it has come back afterwards.

April 16, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Raee:

I've been taking the medicine on and off for 5 years, I have a repeating bacterial vaginitis infection. The medicine tastes like medal, for those of you who ask, "how do you know what it tastes like", your mouth begins to have a metal flavor and the taste of your food is altered. The medicine literally makes me ill, my head hurts and stomach is nauseous. There aren't any other medications that work for bacterial vaginitis and this one obviously isn't perfect, never less, it does the job for 3-5 months and then I repeat the course of action all over again. So my advice is to hang in there and take the pills until completed. Hopefully you will have greater longevity.

April 15, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by Trud53:

I have been dealing with bacterial vaginitis on and off for a while and usually metronidazole works. The only issue is the yeast infection afterwards. However, after I completed my last treatment I developed a terrible case of hives (never happened to me before) Days later, the hives cleared up but then the yeast infection! After the yeast infection, guess what came back...BV! I don't know what to do at this point.

February 20, 2014 7:10 AM

Review by I'll be happy when it's done (taken for less than 1 month):

I had very mild symptoms of BV. Really minimal amount of discharge and only an odor after sex. I googled my symptoms and diagnosed myself with BV. I didn't want to have sex again until I got it taken care of. I went to the doctor and vwala...diagnosed and RX'd Metronidazole 500mg BID. I'm only on my 2nd day of the medicine. I googled taking a probiotic (lactobacillus) alongside it (3-4 hours after you take your metronidazole) because the metronidazole could upset your bacteria/yeast balance in your body and actually cause you to get a yeast infection. So I've been taking my metronidazole and then 4 hours later I'll take a probiotic pill. I am SUPER dizzy and my tummy hurts. Not digging the side effects :-(

January 21, 2014 5:08 AM

Review by 30whitefemale (taken for less than 1 month):

Its my 4th day on 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily and 500 mg of cefprozil twice being treated for bacterial vaginosis the smell is gone! Im so relieved but it burns a bit like when I get bladder infections but I'm confident when I'm done these pills I can a dress my bladder I been getting bladder infections for years off and on anyway off topic the pills dont have a taste just swallow with big gulp of juice or water and your good I dont notice any side effects other than the burning its bearable Tylenol or advil can help with that I was so embarrassed by the smell I finally had to do something so glad I did

January 16, 2014 9:52 PM