User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole: This medicine helped it go away completely in the 7 day treatment but it is the WORST thing I have ever tasted in my life and it has come back afterwards.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 1:23 AM
Review by Trud53: User Rating:

metronidazole: I have been dealing with bacterial vaginitis on and off for a while and usually metronidazole works. The only issue is the yeast infection afterwards. However, after I completed my last treatment I developed a terrible case of hives (never happened to me before) Days later, the hives cleared up but then the yeast infection! After the yeast infection, guess what came back...BV! I don't know what to do at this point.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2014 7:10 AM
Review by I'll be happy when it's done (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: I had very mild symptoms of BV. Really minimal amount of discharge and only an odor after sex. I googled my symptoms and diagnosed myself with BV. I didn't want to have sex again until I got it taken care of. I went to the doctor and vwala...diagnosed and RX'd Metronidazole 500mg BID. I'm only on my 2nd day of the medicine. I googled taking a probiotic (lactobacillus) alongside it (3-4 hours after you take your metronidazole) because the metronidazole could upset your bacteria/yeast balance in your body and actually cause you to get a yeast infection. So I've been taking my metronidazole and then 4 hours later I'll take a probiotic pill. I am SUPER dizzy and my tummy hurts. Not digging the side effects :-(

January 21, 2014 5:08 AM
Review by 30whitefemale (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Its my 4th day on 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily and 500 mg of cefprozil twice being treated for bacterial vaginosis the smell is gone! Im so relieved but it burns a bit like when I get bladder infections but I'm confident when I'm done these pills I can a dress my bladder I been getting bladder infections for years off and on anyway off topic the pills dont have a taste just swallow with big gulp of juice or water and your good I dont notice any side effects other than the burning its bearable Tylenol or advil can help with that I was so embarrassed by the smell I finally had to do something so glad I did

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 16, 2014 9:52 PM
Review by happynhealthy:

metronidazole: It's my third time using the metro gel for 5 days and I always get a metallic taste as the only side effect but this third time I had little to no appetite, felt dizzy and my face was itchy but this medicine works fast, the smell and discharge are gone on the second day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 10, 2014 11:34 PM
Review by Jill87: User Rating:

metronidazole: I have gotten bacterial vaginitis a few times over the past few years. Unlike most, I don't usually experience any odor or discharge. Instead I just suffer from vaginal pain that is so bad it keeps me awake at night. I have taken this antibiotic in the past, and it works great - I feel better after just a few doses. This time around, I got very nauseous after my first dose, and ended up throwing up. I think because I didn't take it with a real meal (just a small snack) it upset my stomach. Another possibility is I took a probiotic this morning which says not to take it within 2 hours of taking an antibiotic...

December 23, 2013 3:04 PM
Review by No longer Ashamed (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

metronidazole: Bacterial Vaginitis is not uncommon, taking a daily probiotic with a high number of live bacteria (the beneficial bacteria in yogurt) greatly reduces the risks of getting bacterial vaginitis again. My boyfriend and I are very active, usually daily, and like clockwork I was having to treat bacterial vaginitis every 5 weeks for nearly a year. Each time I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg twice daily for 7 days, each time by day 2 the odor is gone. The medication is great, the taste is terrible so I suggest putting the pill into the back of the throat onto a mouthful of already chewed, ready to swallow food without allowing the pill to touch any part of the mouth, it helps! Douching isn't recommended, rinse out in a bath.

December 5, 2013 10:48 AM
Review by Sandy87: User Rating:

metronidazole: I've been using the gel, so I don't have no taste problems with the pill. Same dosage though, I inset the gel vaginally once at bedtime for 5-7 days and so far I'm on day 2 and no odor. I've had no side effects accept mild stomach pain and a little fatigue. So far it's great but I will see as the process continues.

December 4, 2013 1:40 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole: This pill works good. I have been taking it for 3 days and symptoms are gone! I have been suffering from bacterial vaginitis for a year and ignored it. I got checked out for everything else except for B.V. and just thought it was something normal until I got pregnant and started having a lot of stomach pain and discharge so I told my doctor about it and she prescribed me this medicine. I can say this medication works wonders.

November 27, 2013 9:38 PM
Review by EmmyBeans: User Rating:

metronidazole: I didn't have any side effects at all. Seemed to work right away - Although my symptoms were rather subtle. Only negative thing was I dreaded taking it because the taste is nasty. As soon as it was in my mouth the powder dissolves and I had to eat chocolate or something. Drinking something didn't really help with the taste. Use food!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 8:50 PM
Review by Ginava (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: I never use pharmaceuticals, not even aspirin, and haven't for years. After getting bacterial vaginitis for the first time I was prescribed two 250mg metronidazole twice daily for 7 days. I very hesitantly tried this after my natural remedies weren't cutting it. An hour after my first dose, taken after dinner, my heart rate increased and I got shaky. Then I had an uncomfortable anxiety attack lasting about 20 minutes. Eventually my body calmed down, but was still buzzy. Couldn't sleep well, and when I did I had vividly disturbing dreams. It was otherwise tolerable through the week, a bit of morning nausea and slight headache, and drastically fluctuating energy levels. I also took potent probiotics with it which helped a lot. The smell and discharge are gone.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 21, 2013 8:18 PM
Review by xshmem: User Rating:

metronidazole: I was suffering symptoms of BV for more than 6 months. It was making me so self conscious, I started avoiding sex and constantly has to wear panty liners because of the discharge. I finally went to the GP about it two days ago and he prescribed me Metronidazole. So far the discharge seems to have stopped and it's the first day in what feel like forever I have been able to not wear a pantyliner, odour seems to have gone already as well. It's not until this has started to clear up that I have realised how much its was dragging me down!

November 16, 2013 4:02 PM
Review by stranger321 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: when i found out i had bv, my doctor prescribed me with metrodinazole. my doctor told me to take all 4 pills at once with food and water. on the second day the odor was gone. then the discharge was slowly going away. i was looking up the side effects of metrodinazole. i did have a metallic taste whenever i ate or drank something and i felt kinda dizzy at times. but i must say, it is all worth it to have a healthy body again.

November 12, 2013 5:06 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: The medicine really works, which is great!!!! If you take it with a glass of milk, you wont even taste it.

October 28, 2013 12:03 PM
Review by Emj88: User Rating:

metronidazole: I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis after having cold coagulation following an abnormal smear. I had a bad odour and swelling of the abdomen. My doctor prescribed me metronidazole 400mg twice a day as well as co amoxiclav 500/125mg three times a day. I found after taking the first few doses I felt quite drowsy and tired and I expected this as metronidazole is such a strong antibiotic, I felt a loss of appetite but carried on eating as normal and taking the tablets whilst eating.Once I was on the 2nd day I started to feel quite nauseous but soon found this to be if I allowed myself to get hungry so defo take this tablet with food! The odour was gone by day 3 and so did the side effects! A wonder drug! :-)

October 22, 2013 12:16 PM
Review by Marba (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Today is my second day with metronidazole 500 mg and I have to take it 3 times a day for 5 days and I feel great . The only problem I have is that I can't go to sleep and every juice I take it taste metal to me . Every time I take the pill my heart rate goes from 80 to a 100 in like minutes and the pill taste like metal . But I love it .. I feel so much better now, than I was before . I mean I still have some things but it's getting there ..

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 21, 2013 6:03 AM
Review by tired of the odor!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

metronidazole: I am a very clean person. And to have dealt with this problem for about a year has made me tired! Really active with boyfriend and I couldn't explain why I had this persistent foul odor... cause I didn't know. Went to the dr. And the test came back positive for bacterial vaginitis! Prescribed metronidazole 2X@7days. Took the first pill last night at 945pm and the second this morning at 945am. Decided to read about some experiences this morning and was relieved that most felt better by pill #3 or #4. Before the dr. Visit I was digusted by my odor!!!! I didn't even want to use a public restroom and have someone come in right behind me. The medicine is nasty but I don't care!! I am just ready to be able to embrace my femininty!!!!!

October 19, 2013 10:53 AM
Review by SheenaB (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: This medication DOES work, I will give it that-however, the side effects are driving me insane. It makes me feel so wired, I have been taking it for 3 days now and have not slept more than 8 hours total. I am so tired all I want to do is sleep. Doctor said this is the only medication that will work for what I have so I guess I have to get through it for 4 more days!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2013 12:39 PM
Review by eclecticAlexis: User Rating:

metronidazole: Bacterial Vaginits was single handedly the worst health experience I have ever had. I don't know what it is but boom you have vaginal odor and you just can't even look in the mirror. My Dr. prescribed me metronidazole twice a day for seven days. The nurse warned me that it tasted awful but I didn't care just wanted to feel better. Within 24 hours of my first dose my odor and discharge was gone. All the reviews are right, it tastes awful but if you can drop the pill in the back of your throat and not let it touch your tongue, then drink a lot of water, you won't even taste it. Eat before you take it. Time your doses with meals and flush your fluids and you should be able to avoid the metallic taste like I did. The medication works!

October 7, 2013 6:16 PM
Review by N'diya: User Rating:

metronidazole: I used the meds for 5 days, and although it cleared up my bacterial vaginitis; on day 3 of the meds I developed a yeast infection.

October 6, 2013 1:54 AM
Review by Crys280183: User Rating:

metronidazole: I've had bacterial vaginitis for years on and off. I really have never taken any serious medication because I prefer to do things naturally. I can say that candy triggers my odor a lot but I've tried to cut back and the odor still exists. I finally got tired of the odor and over excessive discharge and was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg by my Dr. The first day no change, the second day no smell. I was so excited I had to tell people. I was so in bondage by the bacterial vaginitis. I haven't had any of the symptoms listed! I was fearful at first because I always feel like pills are going to make my heart race but it was fine. No headache, no drowsiness. I ate a meal with every dose and drank plenty water. This is my third day and I am supposed to take medicines for 7 days. It works.

October 3, 2013 1:05 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: I was prescribed metronidazole to take two times a day for seven days. I must say after the second day, the discharge and odor I had been experiencing for months went away. I finished the course of my medicine today so hopefully after my cycle finishes, my issues would have gone away. If you are experiencing side effects, just remember to take your doses with a regular meal. That works wonders. I have experienced ZERO of the side effects that were listed on label. Hope this review helps someone one.

September 25, 2013 8:17 AM
Review by jillandjack: User Rating:

metronidazole: I am taking this medicine right now and it has already began to work 3 days In. But I have been having severe headaches for the past 2 days and I'm always sleepy. Otherwise I love the medicine.

September 23, 2013 1:48 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Amazing, it completely got rid of the odor and discharge. The pill is the worst tasting pill I'll ever had in my life but it works. I have two more days of taking it but I already notice a difference.

September 17, 2013 5:44 AM
Review by Gbwi (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: This is the 2nd time taking this medication. 1st time was for bacterial vvagnitis, I got really sick. Thrush in mouth, metal taste, headache, backache. I had to quit after 5 days. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and prescribed it again. I almost cried and begged the doctor for a different pill. Which I was told this is the only medication. However this time I found a way to not make me sick. I coat the pill with honey and take it. This time I have had no sides effects other than the beginning stages of oral thrush which the doctor prescribed liquid nystatin for just in case. I also take a probiotic.

September 14, 2013 10:06 PM