User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"This medication works great, you can literally notice the difference after one dose, but I would much rather deal with the infection than ever take this medication again. Severe headaches, nausea, loss of appetite. Feeling like I got ran over by a train. Day 4 and I called it quits. My headaches were so bad I couldn't even sit up without assistance. Never again! Definitely will be asking for somethibg different next time around."

Brianne7309 May 26, 2016

"Doctor diagnosed me with BV and gave me flagyl prescription: 2/ day 500 mg. I have just completed the fourth day. I noticed the symptoms of BV subside by the second day, and by day four the smell and rash are almost completely gone. I've been eating a lot of yogurt, drinking cranberry juice to deter UTI. I've had very little stomach pain, only after I eat dinner. The main side effect I have felt is a constant slight headache(nothing close to a migraine). I also get very fatigued after completing very simple tasks(I had to take a two hour nap after sorting through some of my clothes to donate). Taste is horrid, but I started gulping it down with a smoothie or coconut water, and that disguises it. Worth taking, despite the side effects."

Supaconducta (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

"I've been on this medication for 4 days, on the 3rd day my vision began getting blurry which caused a slight headache. Day 4 my vision is so blurred I can barely see. I began seeing white spots in my left eye only and now I have a migraine with light sensitivity. It's hard to work, walk or even have my eyes open. I agree with everyone else on here the taste is awful and it does work, but I would like to keep my vision. My Dr recommended I stopped taking it immediately until they find an alternative."

Anonymous May 16, 2016

"I'm on day 2 of a ten day treatment right now, and this has to be at least the 3rd time I've had to take these. They work really well. I'm just very prone to bv. A new partner, taking a bath, wrong underwear. .. can set it off. But MY GOSH I hate taking these things. Mainly because of the horrible taste in my mouth for the whole ten days I take them. I eat constantly in an attempt to get rid of the taste. I maybe get slightly nauseous for a lil bit if I take them on an empty stomach. Otherwise, not bad. But, too me, the taste in my mouth is horrible."

Bchristine89 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

"This medicine works well. Has a terrible taste, but got rid of the smell and my discharge is starting to look better. I am on day 5, and I have had a few symptoms. Spinning sensation, nausea, darkened urine, metallic and dry mouth, frequent bowel movements."

TJjjj (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

"Day 3 of medication and pretty much all BV Symptoms are gone. Thank god!! Hopefully I'll never need this again...once was enough! Fortunately, i did not experience horrible side effets...maybe just tiredness. I"

Nikkie9152 May 9, 2016

"I have taken metronidazole several times. The first time I took it for BV I had bad side effects. I got a huge rash between my thighs. I was sweating profusely. I had a fever twice during the week I was taking it. I was nauseous and felt horrible. I didn't finish it after getting a second fever. The second time I took it for BV I had none of the above. I felt fine and the BV went away quickly. I think this medicine is great. It actually helped me with my digestive problem at the same time. Even with a bad experience I would take it again."

Caramel1976 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"Im on day 4 of this medication. I have experienced no negative side effects besides a constant, dull headache. But the medication is definitely working so its worth it. Smell, gone. Itchiness, gone. Icky discharge, about 75% gone."

Fish35 May 6, 2016

"After bouts of odor, discharge, and itching that I tried to rectify using OTC meds and natural remedies, I went to my OB/GYN and was diagnosed with BV. While this med has helped immensely, the SE are the reason I rated it 9. By day 3 the odor was not as strong (almost gone but I could still faintly smell it). From there things got better symptom wise, but as far as SE that's been hell from day one. Headaches, nausea, bloating, increased appetite which led to weight gain, looser stools, and overall tiredness are all of the issues I experienced taking the 500mg twice daily for a week prescription. Even though I missed dosage times occasionally due to the SE , I took the medicine and finished in 9 days. Next time I will get the gel. Not as bad"

LollipopLiquor (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"Somehow I got diagnosed with trich. So far it has been the worst experience EVER!!! The pills are very very hard to take. Through out my whole day I'm very sick and Nauseous. I can barely function at work because the medicine is so terrible. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Becaus it does. But the side effects Are very unbearable. But everyone is different and may react different. I can't even finish my whole bottle like they told me to. I'm on day 5. I'm tired of my loss of appetite, sickness, and loose stool. If I still have it when I go to the doctors tommarro they have to prescribe me with something different. Feels like hell."

Prettybug. (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

"As someone who has an extreme phobia of taking any sort of medication, because side effects petrify me, I was devistated when I found out I had to be on antibiotics, I have really bad health anxiety, but my friend sat with me and persuaded me to take and also stayed for a couple of hours to reassure me that if I'd had a bad reaction it would have happend by now, anyway I'm on the 3rd day, I am so proud I have taken them, I've had no side effects accept a strange taste in my mouth but it's not unbearable. This reassures me in taking more medicines in the future if I need to. Because now I've shown myself I can take them and I don't feel any different. So my experience with this Medicine has been gd. Gd luck people"

Tina91 April 21, 2016

"Got diagnosed with BV (likely culprit is new sex partner) and am now on day 4 of the 7 day treatment. Really didn't have the fishy smell (thank goodness) but definitely had the thin, whitish discharge and was generally uncomfortable down there. First two days the discharge was out of control but now by day 4 it has decreased a lot (although not totally gone). I'm also still slightly itchy and really irritated down there. With the exception of the really dark urine, I haven't had any major side effects. My biggest fear is that I will get a yeast infection after this, so considering getting some probiotics to take to try and counter balance that."

Gaaah9012 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"This is my 3rd time getting BV In a row each time I take the metronidazole is about the same it will clear up the infection for a good two weeks maybe three then it will come back. Never really had any bad side affects with the drug but I'm pretty sure it's time to get a different corse of treatment bc this isn't working."

Bri072295 April 8, 2016

"The medicine works, but it has really bad side effects on me, severe headache, dizziness, can't get out of my bed, feels like fainting out, but I have to continue the med so that I can be healed. :("

missDizz April 3, 2016

"I am on day 4 now of the generic form of Flagyl and I think it's starting to clear up. My doctor also prescribed the gel in case it doesn't, but I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy yet. Day 1 I definitely suffered some nausea, but it seems to be improving. So far so good."

GirlProblms April 1, 2016

"I'm on my 4 day of 7. The taste is awful and being that I can't swallow pills the taste lingers but i have yogurt to help me with the after taste. I haven't had any severe side effects just a little skin rash. My symptoms cleared up at about day 2 which was a relief. I couldn't resist having ONE glass of wine and so I did. No side effects from the alcohol and this is day 4. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. Hopefully, i wont have to take this medication anytime in the near future because 7 days on this medication is a bit much for me"

Beans84 April 1, 2016

"Extremely tired. It's much harder to get out of bed in the morning. Ok days, but once night falls, I'm practically falling asleep on the couch. Also, cannot stop eating!!! I have a ravenous, constant desire to eat at night. This is not normal for me and I am sure I will gain a few lbs before this 7 day run is over. Also experiencing strangely dark urine, almost brownish. I have noticed symptoms (thin, whitish discharge, fishy smell) have begun to diminish (as of day 4) but are not gone yet. I also have itching and tenderness in the vaginal area now, possibly the start of a yeast, so I will get some probiotics. This medication completely sucks, but seems to be the most effective. Longest week of my life."

Beybbb April 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with BV on March 9th. It's now the 13th & I see no change. I started my period the day after my doctors appointment & I still see that I have a discharge. The medicine leaves a very unpleasant taste on my tongue. I have to crush it & put it in applesauce because it tastes so bad & has a hard time going down. My first two times taking it I threw it back up along with the food I had eaten with it. It gives me diarrhea & cramps. I really don't think I can stick it out for another 3 days."

Chelsss (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

"I have taken this medication twice before and am currently on day 3 of a 7 day treatment! Reading the reviews always makes me nervous, but I have never had any major side effects- just tired and weird taste in mouth. My heartburn gets slightly worse than usual, but subsides with some rantidine. I always eat something when taking the pill and make sure to eat lots of yogurt to keep up my probiotics. I am fairly sensitive to side effects for other antibiotics, but react fine to this one! As for getting rid of BV, it worked the first time I took it a few years ago, but this is my second time taking it for this treatment. So - 50/50 for me!"

Bvsufferer (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I've been on this prescription 4 times this year. I caught c-diff after having a vulvectomy and then the next day emergency gallbladder surgery. So I had it for three separate 14 day rounds to get rid of that, (cdiff much harder to get rid of then bv) now a month later doctors told me I have a bv. So on a 7 day round. The taste is God awful! I get head aches, dry mouth consently thirsty, bloading/gas and yeast infections. But after being on it 3 days the symptoms of the bv are definitely starting to subside. Good luck ladies!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"Started taking this medication 3 days ago,The smell is completely gone, I thought that because I am over weight having a smell down there was normal until I started getting back pain and discharge then I knew something was wrong. The back pain is gone too, however i feel sick not so bad that I can't do anything but enough to be annoying and this awful taste in my mouth and has altered the taste of foods etc. However I would go through this again for the relief it gave me."

slmd1978 March 6, 2016

"Prescribed for BV 500 mg twice daily for 7 days. I am starting to feel better after the 3rd pill but doctor told me I may get a yeast infection afterwards. I am taking probiotics in a pill form which i would recommend to prevent yeast infections! the only thing that makes me nervous about this medication is you can't have anything with alcohol so make sure you read labels! Alcohol can be in cooking spray, pasta sauce etc. They say the side effects from drinking alcohol with this medication are very severe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

"Took medication wasn't made aware of the bad taste so I immediately vomited my first dose. Had to call doctor for another fill as they advised it important to take twice for the whole 7 days. I bought some fruit roll ups to wrap them when it was time to take and this allowed me to take the medication and keep down so that it may work as intended. This is a trick I suggest if you find yourself having trouble to get it down as the medication alone will begin to dissolve as soon as it hits your mouth."

JPennyNC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2016

"I've had BV before in 2014 and was perscribed Flagyl. I don't recall that case being nearly as severe as this one. I had sex with my bf, about a week later I had yellow discharge, my vagina was red and irritated. I was SO uncomfortable. I thought I had a yeast infection so I tried otc yeast cream but NOPE not working. I couldn't take it and went to the doctor. They said I had bv. I'm on day 4 of 7 days and although my vag isn't on fire, the smell is gone but all of the discharge isn't gone. I've had nausea, dry mouth, and a change in taste. I will be on my period come the 5th or 6th so if I don't feel 100% before then I'm going back."

Miserablemama February 28, 2016

"So after several failed attempts over 2 months to heal my BV naturally, I broke down and started the Flagyl. 1st pill, loud ringing in ear, Interesting. Slight queasy feeling, rarely. 3rd day in, cannot sleep! I would say it does cause some insomnia. Weird taste in mouth. Weird body odor. Yes it is coming out of my pores. But this is nothing too major. I can deal. Almost RIGHT AWAY, 1 day in, noticed an improvement in symptoms. Was having burning, and inflammation in the vagina, weird smell, and a weird discharge, thin and greyish. These symptoms improved fast after taking the medicine. I do have slight headaches at times. Dark urine. Drinking water! Taking yogurt, ginger tea, yeast remedy and probiotics. I hope I can finish the rest."

skydancer415 (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016