Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

Review by caaaaats:

I've been having this odor for quite few months and some discharge. I just started taking the meds last night and this morning I didn't have any odor or discharge but I took 4 500 mg and will continue the 2 x a day till my meds are finished. Its working.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 9:31 AM

Review by Coleaus:

Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 5:19 PM

Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!

November 18, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by tjswan77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I get bacterial vaginitis all the time because of my sugar. With taking this medicine I only suffered sore throat and a yeast infection. I have to take it for 14 days 2x a day. It does work just.... hate no drinking alcohol.

October 12, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by ashleyewell23 (taken for less than 1 month):

It is a very effective pill BUT you have to make sure that you eat before you take it, a couple times I didn't eat and ended up throwing up. But besides that I haven't had any other side effects.

October 9, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by balefire (taken for less than 1 month):

It worked well. My symptoms went away for the most part after about 3 days. Side effects weren't too bad. Mild upset stomach and abdominal pain. Today is the last day of my prescription. While I'm also just starting birth control at the same time there is still some spotting but I've been informed that it should clear up with in the next few days.

September 29, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by Lawuanga:

Definitely side effects but tolerable! The first night I couldn't sleep and day 2-4 mild stomach pains and nausea. I also had some anxiety along some crazy dreams at night. The taste was bad but I always immediately washed it down with food and juice. I admit I expected it to be a lot worse but the biggest challenge was not being able to drink! As a bonus, my rosacea has almost completely cleared in one week. Who knew!!

September 14, 2014 9:01 PM

Review by Elena7:

I experienced a couple of side effects: metallic taste in mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, loose stools, headache, nausea, lethargy, decreased appetite, AND a yeast infection at day 5! Side effects aside, this stuff works. All symptoms of bacterial vaginitis disappeared by day 2. Take some probiotics while taking this and hopefully you can avoid a yeast infection. Felt like the longest week of my life. I need a drink (you have to avoid alcohol on this).

September 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by Lauren O.:

1 star rating for the pills. 10 stars for the cream. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginitis simultaneously. I was prescribed the pill form of Flagyl for the bacterial vsginitis. I was very nauseous after beginning the course of Flagyl and within 24 hours I began vomiting profusely. I vomited/dry heaved every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Since I couldn't even keep down water, much less food or the pills, the vomiting subsided. I contacted my doctor first thing the following morning and she prescribed the Metronidazole Vaginal Cream. It worked amazingly well and cleared up the the bacterial vaginitis. I had a slight yeast infection following treatment that cleared up well with over the counter cream.

September 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by karsheeda:

Like everyone else, I've ignored the symptoms for a couple months but you just get over the discharge and smell and all you want is to get rid of it. I have the 5 day dose 3 times a day. The dosage is really really affordable. By day 2 all the smell and discharge had disappeared. Weird thing is, on day 2 I had some weird reaction where my eyes had this sticky feeling and had some white like substance the following morning. Dehydration, and lack of sleep are the other side effects I have experienced. Besides that, its working wonders and I'm just glad to be over with the infection and vile medicine in a couple days. FYI: thanks for letting me know I should wait a few days before drinking alcohol. Wish you all the best.

August 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by symptom free:

After reading some of the reviews on this medication I was a little afraid so I held on to the medicine for a week until I begin to take it. My experience has been good so far and this is day 5. I'm not a person who can swallow pills so like grandmom use to do, I smash them to crumbles and take with applesauce. My symptoms went away on day 2.

August 21, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by WORD OR ADVICE!:

I get bacterial vaginitis quite often, 5-6 times a year. I'm taking the pill now and I was given some NEW advice from the pharmacist! The instructions on the bottle say DO NOT drink alcohol, however I was told that even USING products that contain an alcohol ingredient can give you horrible rashes and hives. So just a word of caution, invest in some regular Dove soap alcohol and sulfate free lotion and put your pretty perfumes and lotions on the shelf for a little over a week!

August 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I seem to get bacterial vaginitis often, about 2-3 times a year. I tried Flagyl in the pill form and vaginal gel on different occasions. For me, they both clear up the infection by the 3rd day. The only difference is, I do not experience side effects with the vaginal gel, but with the pill I experience stomach cramps and fatigue.

August 15, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by BabyyCakes:

I cover my pill with peanut butter completely & then take it. That nasty taste doesn't get in your mouth. If I don't do that then I feel like I'm going to spit it right back up. Just thought I would share that.

August 14, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Tonya18:

I think it works. Yes it does clear up the bacterial vaginitis. However I have terrible back pain. Joint pains, headache, awful taste in mouth. Been 5 days on metronidazole for the first time and these side effects mostly have me in bed. I am 18 and anemic. I like the fact that I smell better already. Hate that each day if taking this medicine, feels like the first day of my period. Except that I am not having my period.. Good thing its only a few days 2 to go.

August 9, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I just took my first dose last night after I ate a 'hearty' meal (as advised by the pharmacist), and already this morning the smell is gone. As well as most of the discharge, yay. I started noticing the smell about two weeks ago (to me, literally the worst smell I have ever smelt on myself) and am going on vacation soon so I figured it was not going away on it's own. I have to take it 2x/day 500mg for 7 days. Lunch and Dinner.

July 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Steph08 (taken for less than 1 month):

I also had the problem with the Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). I was so ashamed because of the horrible smell and discharge. I also had problems with the smell escaping my clothing and was so embarrassed to be around anyone. I am now taking metronidazole and it has worked wonders. No smell, no discharge or itching. I had no side effects. So thankful this medication is available! Saved my life!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Had terrible smell and had discharge constantly. After the second day on antibiotics it went away! But once during the 10 day period I had sex, so please follow directions NO SEX because you will ruin the treatment and will have to start over.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by AnnaBellea:

I randomly developed a foul discharge, went to the doctor right away and she prescribed me this medicine to take two times a day for seven days. It does work but the side effect for me have been TERRIBLE. Day 1 I couldn't sleep, and every day after that I've been sick to my stomach as well as drowsy. On the bright side it works.

July 8, 2014 7:56 PM

I have taken this medicine and it does work. I'd advice a person to take it while at home with food because it may upset your stomach and cause you to go to bathroom. It leaves a metal taste in my mouth and alters the taste of food on the first day. After the first 2 days I was fine and symptoms cleared instantly. But continue the whole dosage to reassure infection is gone.

June 26, 2014 2:59 AM

Review by UNKOWN CHICA:

My obgyn prescribed this for me and today makes three days and I can tell that it very effective quick . I had a strong smell and used to hate having sex with my boyfriend because of the odor . Normally I'm wet with clear but it has been clumpy and white . Hanging around my friends I had to drench myself in perfume because the smell would trespass through my clothes and I would be embarrassed . I had this issue for quite some months close to a year . I thought it was a I'm here and I'll go away soon type of thing . Overall love the pill I had no side effects just eat before you take it.

June 16, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by Sickly sweet (taken for less than 1 month):

Had an odor for about a year before being diagnosed after the discharge got heavy. The smell penetrated everything I wore and ranged from fishy to sickly sweet and metallic. I've been taking the pills twice daily for six days and I'm fairly certain my symptoms are gone! Awful taste that stays with you all day though.

June 12, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Uptownchic (taken for less than 1 month):

I was experiencing crazy discharge with no odour or other symptoms. Just watery discharge. Within hours of taking this medicine the discharge stopped. I'm so happy!

June 6, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Gross and over it:

I have had bacterial vaginitis for over a year now, experiencing a multitude of odors - sometimes fishy, sometimes sweet, sometimes metallic. Also dealt with the uncomfortable discharge that requires panty liners and constant underwear changing. I got the 7-day pill supply, 500 mg, 2X/day. I am currently on my final day. The odor cleared up almost instantly, and the discharge was gone by the time I was taking the 2nd pill! Oh, and side effects were minimal and very tolerable! However, yesterday (6th day) I had a massive clump of discharge, larger than I've ever experienced, and I began to itch terribly. Not sure if this is something else, but I'm waiting to finish the pill supply and give it a few days before I contact the doc.

May 31, 2014 5:10 PM

Review by 444vvvv:

After 3 days, I've felt really nauseous non stop. My stomach is non stop hurting. But, I haven't had any weird odor or discharge. Bad side effects.

May 24, 2014 7:14 PM