Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

Review by not doing well (taken for less than 1 month):

I put off taking this medicine for 3 weeks because I am an avid wine drinker. Anyway started and first day no issue. Second day so tired...could barely stay awake. Third day not too bad took with big breakfast and juice. Fourth day took just with juice and was sick for real. I am pretty sure I threw up most of my medicine. Fifth day ok.

April 16, 2015 11:35 AM

Review by love life (taken for less than 1 month):

I got this for bv within the first 48 hr the smell is gone and I'm feeling it working. However I did get sharp pelvic pains, face red and hot, nauseous, feeling very very ill like the flu came over me and also very moody! The rumbling tummy came soon after the 3rd dose and I don't want to eat or drink anything at all which I could stand to loose a few pounds lol But it's working and Those are temporary so I'm continuing.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 5:48 PM

Review by Brooke1484 (taken for less than 1 month):

Inability to orgasm. I never have an issue orgasming otherwise. I Have noticed during the last two times I've used this medicine that I cannot orgasm during sex. However, this symptom would not stop me from taking this medicine again as its benefit certainly outweighs this issue.

March 26, 2015 7:25 AM

Only on the 3rd day and it's awful, throwing up, headaches, awful taste in my mouth. It is working though!

March 13, 2015 10:16 PM

Review by AMLdn (taken for less than 1 month):

Prescribed the 2 per day for 7 days of the 400mg. The first day was fine, the second I had a couple of hours before having any food and wow, I have never felt worse in my life! I vomited uncontrollably everytime I ate or drank, felt dizzy, sank, slurred my words, couldn't concentrate, completely lost my apetite and couldn't sleep(and when I did I had strange dreams). Reticent to continue, it took me until lunchtime the next day to work up the courage to eat or to take the next pill...but after drinking as much peppermint tea as i could manage and some crystallized ginger(both supposed to settle the stomach) and having a sandwich, I experienced no further side effects! My symptoms had already cleared. 3 more days to go and feeling positive!

February 25, 2015 10:10 AM

Review by Selz (taken for less than 1 month):

I sympathize with those who had to prolong their treatment in the course of 5 days, I on the other hand and thankfully at that was prescribed only a single dose of 5 tablets of Metronidazole. Quick and easy. Make sure you eat before you take it though and I find if you hydrate yourself you less likely to feel nauseous. I've had recurrent bacterial vaginitis so I know what I'm talking about.

January 19, 2015 1:52 PM

I took Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis and thought I was dying. The nausea and headaches are unbearable but because I know it works I had to keep taking it. On the fourth day I started taking it with orange juice and eating after, and WALAH! It was so much better. No more headaches or nausea. Not sure if it was because I was halfway done with the med, or if my orange juice really worked. Hope this helps someone.

January 14, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by bad taste gone:

Want to say I tried the dipping pill in olive oil , was awesome. No bad taste what so ever. Swallowed very easily.

January 11, 2015 7:28 PM

Review by Kim the Kim:

I get Vaginosis around 3 times a year. I get the weekly dose that you take x3 times a day. It usually takes 2-3 days for my symptoms to stop. This time though my outer vagina lip is inflammed a little. This is the first time this has happened. This is most likely from me scratching the irritated area. I have been putting an ice pack on the lip to cool it down and ease the itching. This has worked, but I am still experiencing a slight tingling around the vaginal opening. I have only had 2 doses as this is my first day. I really hope this awful tingling stops overnight so I can get my life back. I do not experience any side effects and do sometimes drink a little while on these meds. Still works fine and do not feel sick at all!

January 1, 2015 8:55 AM

Review by Anonymous134:

I took this twice a day for 7 days, and have never felt so sick on a medication. I had severe headaches, bloating, constant nausea, aches and pains all over. As many others have mentioned, it tastes rancid unless you're really proficient at throwing it into the back of your throat and chugging it down immediately- even in a second, the taste stuck to the back of my throat and made me gag. A couple other really important notes -- this medication lowered both my liver function (hence no alcohol while you're on it! They mean it) AND my platelet count... So I was getting nose bleeds, bruises and some fairly alarming vaginal bleeding while on it as well.

December 31, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Simplysharon85:

I've had bacterial vaginitis on & off for many years and just got sick of treating it until a few days ago when I was struck with bad pelvic pain and pressure, ended up in ER and diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease which has caused an abscess on my left ovary. Turns out the Pelvic Inflammatory Disease has been caused by the untreated bacterial vaginitis over time. So please get treated every time you get symptoms. I'm on day 2 & have an ease of symptoms from the BV but get very nauseous and sick feeling after taking it. I'm also on a few others for the PID but it's definitely no fun. Don't ignore Bacterial Vaginitis.

December 28, 2014 12:00 PM

Review by Tryingtofindacure:

Okay so before I took this I read all the reviews on here. I was frightened. So I began a 7 day process, 2 pills a day. The odor went away the 2nd day. I guess it started smelling normal. I was very pleased it didn't have that fishy smell anymore. However I still discharged and on the last day I discharged so much! The doctor and nurse said it's just cleaning everything out. Overall I was pleased. The effects I did have were diziness, headaches, abdominal pain, and somewhat nauseous. What was weird was that one day my mouth tasted what it smelled like. It smelled and tasted in my mouth like a little bit of bleach. Oh and the pills aren't that bad tasting when you get used to it.

December 17, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by caaaaats:

I've been having this odor for quite few months and some discharge. I just started taking the meds last night and this morning I didn't have any odor or discharge but I took 4 500 mg and will continue the 2 x a day till my meds are finished. Its working.

December 16, 2014 9:31 AM

Review by Coleaus:

Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach.

December 5, 2014 5:19 PM

I am currently taking this antibiotic, I am on day five. I honestly can't wait until it is over. I am an athlete in college and I can say that ever since taking this it has affected my performance. I also wish I would have started this earlier because it has me extremely tired and fatigue and this is FINALS week. I get constant headaches, awful taste left in my mouth all day, don't really have much of an appetite either. I've also been having horrible abdominal pain that sometimes aren't tolerable. I really do hate the side effects but I will go through this if it will make me better. The discharge as well as foul smell has gone away, which is what motivates me to keep taking this. I have only two more days to go. wish me luck!!

December 3, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by PRS_118:

Taking this 2x per day (every 12 hours) for 1 week straight while eating or with milk. I've experience abdominal cramps on the lower left side, some nausea (but not all the time), and definitely have had the gross, metallic taste in my mouth whenever I take it. On day 4, and discharge/smell seems to be gone. I've noticed that I barely notice the taste if I drink some milk before, then tilt my headback and let the pill drop, and then more milk until I don't feel/taste it anymore. I've even accidentally bit the pill when I was eating milk and cereal, and while it made me want to vomit for a split second, the taste was completely gone as soon as I washed it down with milk. Never taking this without milk again.

November 25, 2014 2:23 PM

Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!

November 18, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by tjswan77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I get bacterial vaginitis all the time because of my sugar. With taking this medicine I only suffered sore throat and a yeast infection. I have to take it for 14 days 2x a day. It does work just.... hate no drinking alcohol.

October 12, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by ashleyewell23 (taken for less than 1 month):

It is a very effective pill BUT you have to make sure that you eat before you take it, a couple times I didn't eat and ended up throwing up. But besides that I haven't had any other side effects.

October 9, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by balefire (taken for less than 1 month):

It worked well. My symptoms went away for the most part after about 3 days. Side effects weren't too bad. Mild upset stomach and abdominal pain. Today is the last day of my prescription. While I'm also just starting birth control at the same time there is still some spotting but I've been informed that it should clear up with in the next few days.

September 29, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by Lawuanga:

Definitely side effects but tolerable! The first night I couldn't sleep and day 2-4 mild stomach pains and nausea. I also had some anxiety along some crazy dreams at night. The taste was bad but I always immediately washed it down with food and juice. I admit I expected it to be a lot worse but the biggest challenge was not being able to drink! As a bonus, my rosacea has almost completely cleared in one week. Who knew!!

September 14, 2014 9:01 PM

Review by Elena7:

I experienced a couple of side effects: metallic taste in mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, loose stools, headache, nausea, lethargy, decreased appetite, AND a yeast infection at day 5! Side effects aside, this stuff works. All symptoms of bacterial vaginitis disappeared by day 2. Take some probiotics while taking this and hopefully you can avoid a yeast infection. Felt like the longest week of my life. I need a drink (you have to avoid alcohol on this).

September 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by Lauren O.:

1 star rating for the pills. 10 stars for the cream. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginitis simultaneously. I was prescribed the pill form of Flagyl for the bacterial vsginitis. I was very nauseous after beginning the course of Flagyl and within 24 hours I began vomiting profusely. I vomited/dry heaved every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Since I couldn't even keep down water, much less food or the pills, the vomiting subsided. I contacted my doctor first thing the following morning and she prescribed the Metronidazole Vaginal Cream. It worked amazingly well and cleared up the the bacterial vaginitis. I had a slight yeast infection following treatment that cleared up well with over the counter cream.

September 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by karsheeda:

Like everyone else, I've ignored the symptoms for a couple months but you just get over the discharge and smell and all you want is to get rid of it. I have the 5 day dose 3 times a day. The dosage is really really affordable. By day 2 all the smell and discharge had disappeared. Weird thing is, on day 2 I had some weird reaction where my eyes had this sticky feeling and had some white like substance the following morning. Dehydration, and lack of sleep are the other side effects I have experienced. Besides that, its working wonders and I'm just glad to be over with the infection and vile medicine in a couple days. FYI: thanks for letting me know I should wait a few days before drinking alcohol. Wish you all the best.

August 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by symptom free:

After reading some of the reviews on this medication I was a little afraid so I held on to the medicine for a week until I begin to take it. My experience has been good so far and this is day 5. I'm not a person who can swallow pills so like grandmom use to do, I smash them to crumbles and take with applesauce. My symptoms went away on day 2.

August 21, 2014 11:08 AM