User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"The first 2 days I felt very tired and sleepy and a little nauseated but the remaining course of the medication I was normal. I did take the medication twice a day (each time with a meal), drank plenty of water, and avoided all alcohol. It does leave a sour taste for a while but usually gum aids in removing the bitterness. The drug does work effectively though.. My symptoms of BV were gone within day 2! Good luck!!!"

It Works August 26, 2015

"I was prescribed 500mg. Started of okay I had no side effects. But i did notice a lot of discharge. I did not have that before but it cleared up in 3 days. On the 5th day I took the pill with very little food. The nausea and gagging I experienced was awful. I was at my friends house and had to throw up twice. ( how embarrassing) I'm on day 6 now. The symptoms cleared. I took the pill again today with more food and milk. Hopefully I wont puke again."

Tammmmmy August 23, 2015

"I stared taking this drug for BV, even though I didn't really have symptoms of it but my doctor tested me and it was present. I had HORRIBLE diarrhea, nausea, back pain, and tiredness. I would take it with a full meal and bread everytime but my stomach was still upset. I am on my 4th day out of 8 and I hope I can handle taking the rest of the pills. Take with a huge meal and lots of bread or crackers and hope it doesn't make you sick!"

Anonymous August 22, 2015

"When I took this, I think the infection went away for a while. I ate plain yogurt with it . I think I was on 2 pills for a week. The reason I am giving it 5/10 is because the taste was terrible. I don't try to taste pills, especially tablets. I try to down them as quickly as possible, but as soon as this anti biotic hit my tongue, it began dissolving and I was hit with a taste from hell! I had to stop myself from crying when I took it in 'public' in a car. The taste is really hard to get rid of, too! It is literally the worst thing I've ever tasted! Anything but this in pill form. That was the only "side effect" apart from looking pregnant (bloating)."

Uggh (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"A horror show! My bacteria infection cleared up but each day I felt perpetual nauseousness. I was constantly dizzy and for the first time in my life I think I understand what vertigo and dying feels like. I had so many mood swings I put bi-polar patients, menopausal women, and overly induced hormonal teenage girls to shame. It was bitter experience to the point I felt incredibly emotional but dead inside at the same time. I was constantly mad at my significant other for no apparent reason and tried to call the relationship off until I realized after the medication wore off, I still very much cared for him. Medication worked but would be better used as a lesson to teach abstinence to prevent ever having sex. That's how I got the infection."

ChanceAgain August 13, 2015

"At first I thought everyone was over exaggerating about the side effects but I definitely experienced Nausea, headaches, threw up once but just a little bit. Also, everything I ate was disgusting to me. The taste was definitely bitter, but I prefer the bitter taste oppose to the side effects that I've experienced. Overall the product WORKS !!!! It cleared everything away like a charm. Just prepare yourself for the worse."

Deelicious (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I got diagnosed with bacterial vaginitis & got prescribed these pills. I'm on my second day of taking them, I never had symptoms in the first place so I don't feel any different except for the fact that on the first day (stupid me) I took my first dose on an empty stomach and got sick about 2 hours later, the next day when I took my second pill I made sure I ate it with a meal and some water and got no side effects what so ever except for flatulence and a metallic taste in my mouth. So I suggest taking this medication with food! My pharmacist never told me to do so and its a must with this antibiotic."

thissucks12324 August 7, 2015

"Very good for taking care of BV symptoms quickly. I was prescribed to 500 mg twice a day. The pill can not be taken on an empty stomach or you most and like will have bad symptoms. Also be sure not to drink alcohol. Don't get me wrong the taste is bitter... Yuck. So I take it with yogurt which can and drink milk to get it down."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"This was a nasty pill!!! The taste is so bitter!!!! But it works, disadvantage I experience was the dizziness and headaches!!! Oh my but the smell has dissipated and dull achy feeling in abdomen."

Sas86 August 6, 2015

"I think the medication does what it's supposed to do. However I did experience a couple of noticeable side effects. I had diarrhea every day that I took the pills (2 times a day for 7 days) and it also made my urine very dark...almost a brown color. But those are both side effects that are listed for the medications so I wasn't too alarmed by them. Wish the medication came in a one day coated tablet! If you don't take enough fluid with them and it just so happens to touch your taste buds YUCK! Other than that no complaints"

GirlWithBV (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"I actually like the medication. My first time having BV. I noticed a smell.. I'm on day 4 with the pills & I have not had any bad symptoms. Might be a little sleepy more than usual, but it not bad. I recommend this pill. The smell is gone! which is GREAT!"

SheLovesMinnesota (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

"Prescribed 500 mg three times a day for 7 days. The side effects for me were absolutely awful. I could barely function. Went down to 500mg twice a day. I am so miserable. No energy, intense headaches, extreme nausea, pelvic pain, I'm sweating all of the time. My urine it orange and I've had diarrhea since the first night. And I can't even begin to describe the taste it left in my mouth. I could eat a big meal, pop my pills and gag for hours, would wake up with such a metallic taste I would puke middle of the night. I'll admit, they worked great. My odor and itch was gone by day 2. I'm on day 4 and because of the side effects, unsure if I can continue."

Disruptivevagina (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

"I would HIGHLY recommend against taking these pills. I took them and had a very bad reaction to them. Not only did my bv come back about a week later, but i developed some facial discoloration that has lasted about five months. If you do have bv, take medication vaginally, NOT the pills."

SaraGT (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

"I am on day 4 of my pills and I just was telling my friend how I haven't felt any side effects and how I thought some people were being over dramatic. The nausea has surfaced...and I hate the feeling where you feel like you're gonna be sick. I have also been very spacey and out of it. It definitely is working cause the odor went away after day 2! Thank god cause this shits embarrassing."

WhiteGirlWithBVProblems (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

"Seeing as I had no symptoms (besides pelvic pain, but I'm not even sure that's related), I assume it's working. The side effects are pretty rough, i.e. feeling lethargic, spaced out, feeling constantly hot even though I can touch my skin and it feels cold. Overall, I've had worse antibiotics, but can't say it's been a smooth ride with this one either."

jessiegail06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

"I am currently taking this medicine for the treatment of BV. I have not experienced any of the side effects from the pill, but it's just not working for me. I'm on day 5 of taking it and my symptoms have only increased. The itching is unbearable, especially in the evenings and at night. It actually woke me up at 3am. The discharge is even worse than I when I started. I have never had the fishy smell, so I didn't need that to disappear. The pill tastes gross but I haven't had any nausea from it. I called by obgyn on day 4 and the nurse said sometimes symptoms get worse before it gets better but I haven't seen any other reviews that support that. I was really hoping they'd give me a different prescription but they said wait it out. :("

NeedHelpNow4BV July 25, 2015

"After having sex with a new uncircumcised partner I noticed the next day I had smelly urine, different smelling discharge (not fishy though), and tenderness in the vulva region. Doc said I had a mild case of BV. I opted to treat it with Flagyl vaginal gel but that didn't work and I was still symptomatic after the 5 day course. Went back for a culture and and doc said not only did I still have BV but I also had a yeast infection. Took one Diflucan for the yeast and then started Flagyl again but this time in pill form, not the vaginal gel. No nausea but weirdly the pills make me feel very lethargic and a little spaced out. Also, I have a decreased appetite."

Sad Vagina (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

"First time with BV, although I had no discharge or odor, so I couldn't get the diagnosis really quickly. Anyhow, I have been taking this drug (Metronidazole) with milk and a little food twice a day and have no crazy side effects that everyone else seems to have. Sure, it tastes bad, but I can't believe I didn't get the nausea like so many others, considering I feel like I have a wimpy body when it comes to everything else. It's been fine in this case, and on day 4 I feel I'm about 99 percent better."

Anonymous June 27, 2015

"Don't have any really bad side effects, other than:bad taste, gas , and bloating. Hope it works. Doctor also gave me 3 DIFLUCAN to take on day 3, 5 , and last day of treatment to prevent yeast infection."

Anonymous June 23, 2015

"Had BV and prescribed 2 pills a day for 7 days. Cannot drink alcohol for 10 days which sucks but worth it to be healthy again. I tried the gel before and was messy and didn't work. This pill makes me feel nauseous especially at night time. Bad headaches and tired 24/7 I can barely make myself get up and out of the house. I forgot to take 2 twice a day so had to take them longer than the 7 days. I think it worked, hope it is gone for good. I also have no appetite nothing sounds good to eat. Force yourself to eat something when u take it and coat the pill before putting in your mouth the taste is horrible like no pill I've ever had before, I dipped mine in random foods to avoid taste (frosting, pudding, peanut butter is a good one)."

ADPBFGh16728 June 20, 2015

"I have suffered from BV for about five years now.It wasn't until last year I began my first treatment by taking x3 pills a day for a week.It was a horrible experience I felt the need to puke, nauseous, light headed, weak and the taste of the pill is disgusting.Well, it didn't work after I ended the treatment and I gave up on it.Now I'm taking it again as the second treatment and my hope's are up I haven't felt bad except the need to pee at least five times a day.I think it's working I'm by day three.Now I also say it's good to eat alot of food each time you take it especially if you have a weak stomach with loads of water.So If you have BV I recommend you take this drug it's really effective instantly."

review (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

"I Had the pills. 14 pills and 2 a day. The first day was fine, i felt a little light headed but nothing to complain about. Second day felt a little nauseous because I didnt drink water that day, Nor did i eat very healthy. Third day had no symptoms. Smell and discharge was completely. The rest of the treatment i was perfectly fine. You just have to eat a lot of fruits and drink lots of water At least 7 cups a day. I don't see why every one complains about the pills . i also used the cream for 5 nights. It didnt work. Bv came back the next week after the treatment was over. If youre going to do the treatment i recommend doing the pills."

starjuliann (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Noticed unpleasant odor from "downstairs" so I made an appointment with my GYN who prescribed me 500mg of metronidazole twice a day (ended up taking pills 8 hours apart). Symptoms cleared up within 2 days of taking this medication. I experienced no major side effects from this drug (I was just thirstier than normal), but I have to agree with others, it does taste awful."

thankful&grateful June 7, 2015

"I took metronidazole for a BV. It worked right away however my first symptom was metallic taste. Soon my appetite was decreasing. Day 6 I felt extreme nauseous. I have one more to take. I've never had horrible experiences swallowing pills except now. Day 7 and I'm still miserable with being nauseous to the point where I can't get up and do simple daily things. I hope I do not get this again because although the medicine works wonders, the symptoms have been horrible."

Anonymous June 7, 2015

"Omg! The nausea is unreal! I was sick throughout the entire week of taking this medicine. The nausea never subdued and it got worse at night. I know it is a must but I can't even right now! I'm so ready for it to be over!"

TSickly (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015