User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"After bouts of odor, discharge, and itching that I tried to rectify using OTC meds and natural remedies, I went to my OB/GYN and was diagnosed with BV. While this med has helped immensely, the SE are the reason I rated it 9. By day 3 the odor was not as strong (almost gone but I could still faintly smell it). From there things got better symptom wise, but as far as SE that's been hell from day one. Headaches, nausea, bloating, increased appetite which led to weight gain, looser stools, and overall tiredness are all of the issues I experienced taking the 500mg twice daily for a week prescription. Even though I missed dosage times occasionally due to the SE , I took the medicine and finished in 9 days. Next time I will get the gel. Not as bad"

LollipopLiquor (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"Somehow I got diagnosed with trich. So far it has been the worst experience EVER!!! The pills are very very hard to take. Through out my whole day I'm very sick and Nauseous. I can barely function at work because the medicine is so terrible. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Becaus it does. But the side effects Are very unbearable. But everyone is different and may react different. I can't even finish my whole bottle like they told me to. I'm on day 5. I'm tired of my loss of appetite, sickness, and loose stool. If I still have it when I go to the doctors tommarro they have to prescribe me with something different. Feels like hell."

Prettybug. (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

"As someone who has an extreme phobia of taking any sort of medication, because side effects petrify me, I was devistated when I found out I had to be on antibiotics, I have really bad health anxiety, but my friend sat with me and persuaded me to take and also stayed for a couple of hours to reassure me that if I'd had a bad reaction it would have happend by now, anyway I'm on the 3rd day, I am so proud I have taken them, I've had no side effects accept a strange taste in my mouth but it's not unbearable. This reassures me in taking more medicines in the future if I need to. Because now I've shown myself I can take them and I don't feel any different. So my experience with this Medicine has been gd. Gd luck people"

Tina91 April 21, 2016

"Got diagnosed with BV (likely culprit is new sex partner) and am now on day 4 of the 7 day treatment. Really didn't have the fishy smell (thank goodness) but definitely had the thin, whitish discharge and was generally uncomfortable down there. First two days the discharge was out of control but now by day 4 it has decreased a lot (although not totally gone). I'm also still slightly itchy and really irritated down there. With the exception of the really dark urine, I haven't had any major side effects. My biggest fear is that I will get a yeast infection after this, so considering getting some probiotics to take to try and counter balance that."

Gaaah9012 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"This is my 3rd time getting BV In a row each time I take the metronidazole is about the same it will clear up the infection for a good two weeks maybe three then it will come back. Never really had any bad side affects with the drug but I'm pretty sure it's time to get a different corse of treatment bc this isn't working."

Bri072295 April 8, 2016

"The medicine works, but it has really bad side effects on me, severe headache, dizziness, can't get out of my bed, feels like fainting out, but I have to continue the med so that I can be healed. :("

missDizz April 3, 2016

"I am on day 4 now of the generic form of Flagyl and I think it's starting to clear up. My doctor also prescribed the gel in case it doesn't, but I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy yet. Day 1 I definitely suffered some nausea, but it seems to be improving. So far so good."

GirlProblms April 1, 2016

"I'm on my 4 day of 7. The taste is awful and being that I can't swallow pills the taste lingers but i have yogurt to help me with the after taste. I haven't had any severe side effects just a little skin rash. My symptoms cleared up at about day 2 which was a relief. I couldn't resist having ONE glass of wine and so I did. No side effects from the alcohol and this is day 4. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. Hopefully, i wont have to take this medication anytime in the near future because 7 days on this medication is a bit much for me"

Beans84 April 1, 2016

"Extremely tired. It's much harder to get out of bed in the morning. Ok days, but once night falls, I'm practically falling asleep on the couch. Also, cannot stop eating!!! I have a ravenous, constant desire to eat at night. This is not normal for me and I am sure I will gain a few lbs before this 7 day run is over. Also experiencing strangely dark urine, almost brownish. I have noticed symptoms (thin, whitish discharge, fishy smell) have begun to diminish (as of day 4) but are not gone yet. I also have itching and tenderness in the vaginal area now, possibly the start of a yeast, so I will get some probiotics. This medication completely sucks, but seems to be the most effective. Longest week of my life."

Beybbb April 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with BV on March 9th. It's now the 13th & I see no change. I started my period the day after my doctors appointment & I still see that I have a discharge. The medicine leaves a very unpleasant taste on my tongue. I have to crush it & put it in applesauce because it tastes so bad & has a hard time going down. My first two times taking it I threw it back up along with the food I had eaten with it. It gives me diarrhea & cramps. I really don't think I can stick it out for another 3 days."

Chelsss (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

"I have taken this medication twice before and am currently on day 3 of a 7 day treatment! Reading the reviews always makes me nervous, but I have never had any major side effects- just tired and weird taste in mouth. My heartburn gets slightly worse than usual, but subsides with some rantidine. I always eat something when taking the pill and make sure to eat lots of yogurt to keep up my probiotics. I am fairly sensitive to side effects for other antibiotics, but react fine to this one! As for getting rid of BV, it worked the first time I took it a few years ago, but this is my second time taking it for this treatment. So - 50/50 for me!"

Bvsufferer (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I've been on this prescription 4 times this year. I caught c-diff after having a vulvectomy and then the next day emergency gallbladder surgery. So I had it for three separate 14 day rounds to get rid of that, (cdiff much harder to get rid of then bv) now a month later doctors told me I have a bv. So on a 7 day round. The taste is God awful! I get head aches, dry mouth consently thirsty, bloading/gas and yeast infections. But after being on it 3 days the symptoms of the bv are definitely starting to subside. Good luck ladies!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"Started taking this medication 3 days ago,The smell is completely gone, I thought that because I am over weight having a smell down there was normal until I started getting back pain and discharge then I knew something was wrong. The back pain is gone too, however i feel sick not so bad that I can't do anything but enough to be annoying and this awful taste in my mouth and has altered the taste of foods etc. However I would go through this again for the relief it gave me."

slmd1978 March 6, 2016

"Prescribed for BV 500 mg twice daily for 7 days. I am starting to feel better after the 3rd pill but doctor told me I may get a yeast infection afterwards. I am taking probiotics in a pill form which i would recommend to prevent yeast infections! the only thing that makes me nervous about this medication is you can't have anything with alcohol so make sure you read labels! Alcohol can be in cooking spray, pasta sauce etc. They say the side effects from drinking alcohol with this medication are very severe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

"Took medication wasn't made aware of the bad taste so I immediately vomited my first dose. Had to call doctor for another fill as they advised it important to take twice for the whole 7 days. I bought some fruit roll ups to wrap them when it was time to take and this allowed me to take the medication and keep down so that it may work as intended. This is a trick I suggest if you find yourself having trouble to get it down as the medication alone will begin to dissolve as soon as it hits your mouth."

JPennyNC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2016

"I've had BV before in 2014 and was perscribed Flagyl. I don't recall that case being nearly as severe as this one. I had sex with my bf, about a week later I had yellow discharge, my vagina was red and irritated. I was SO uncomfortable. I thought I had a yeast infection so I tried otc yeast cream but NOPE not working. I couldn't take it and went to the doctor. They said I had bv. I'm on day 4 of 7 days and although my vag isn't on fire, the smell is gone but all of the discharge isn't gone. I've had nausea, dry mouth, and a change in taste. I will be on my period come the 5th or 6th so if I don't feel 100% before then I'm going back."

Miserablemama February 28, 2016

"So after several failed attempts over 2 months to heal my BV naturally, I broke down and started the Flagyl. 1st pill, loud ringing in ear, Interesting. Slight queasy feeling, rarely. 3rd day in, cannot sleep! I would say it does cause some insomnia. Weird taste in mouth. Weird body odor. Yes it is coming out of my pores. But this is nothing too major. I can deal. Almost RIGHT AWAY, 1 day in, noticed an improvement in symptoms. Was having burning, and inflammation in the vagina, weird smell, and a weird discharge, thin and greyish. These symptoms improved fast after taking the medicine. I do have slight headaches at times. Dark urine. Drinking water! Taking yogurt, ginger tea, yeast remedy and probiotics. I hope I can finish the rest."

skydancer415 (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

"I was diagnosed with BV 2 days ago and had had this issue with my lower bits for over 3 weeks and thought it would possibly go away but had went to a doctor and got tested. 2nd day of taking the meds my symptoms went away and I love it. No more foul discharge and fishy smell. I am required to take 2 pills per a day for 7 days. Even though I see results and its day 3 I will take them all for the 7 days just to be sure."

Anonymous February 26, 2016

"Like everyone else states. The taste is god awful. I am not a big medicine person anyway but for whatever reason whenever I have a new partner. BV rears it's ugly head. I do not consume dairy so probiotics are out...any way this medication does work. It severely lessens the discharge that I normally have with BV that is how I know I have it. The leakage is awful!"

NovemberGal February 25, 2016

"The medication does work but it's just so horrible to take. I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Really bad headache, tight chest and sickness. Not sure if any one else has had this, but felt particularly down and out of whack with reality. I'm honestly scared to take the next tablet, but have to do so to get rid of bv! Hope everyone else is doing ok with it!"

Redribbonliv February 24, 2016

"I have had several bv experiences and have taken this medication each time, it does get rid of the symptoms and I usually never had any side effects until my recent experience of bv, the symptoms are so horrible I have really dark urine, pelvic pain, dizziness, when I lay down the room spins and I feel just completely awful. But it does help get rid of it"

Anonymous person February 23, 2016

"I was diagnosed with BV last week. I was given the 7 day treatment, 1 pill twice a day with or without food. I take it right before I eat or right after I eat. No alcohol. I started the pill the same day my period started since that's when I was given my antibiotics. Now that my period is done I notice that I no longer have a fishy smell and I don't have the thick pasty looking discharge. I haven't experienced any sickness. Just makes my head feel a little funny at times. Since I can't swallow pills I have to open the capsule and the powder inside taste bad but I take it with orange juice so it's not so bad and then drink water after. I'm hoping this takes it away completely and it doesn't come back."

Bdawg3109 February 16, 2016

"Was on this Medicine for 5 days, twice daily 500mg. Discharge and smell went away completely within 2 days. Only thing was the taste. Yuck. No known side effects. I took antidepressants and birth control as well."

Kc2345743 February 16, 2016

"No severe side effects other than nightmares. I've been having mild headaches, mostly in the AM - but they could be a result of the stress caused by indescribable nightmares. I've had a couple mood swings recently - which, again, could be totally unrelated. The smell has lessened. Brownish urine the first day - normal since. This is my 1st time taking the drug, 1st time with BV - no symptoms other than the smell. I typically don't have reactions to medications... Not sensitive. I've been taking the pills with my morning & evening meals... Lean meat veggies or lean meat fruit."

LakeWorthReviewer (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

"I was prescribed 500mg twice a day for 5 days. I'm on the third day and I have noticed the smell to not be as bad but I think the medication had given me a UTI. Definitely need to drink a lot of water with this! No other side effects and the taste really isn't that bad."

CortneyKay February 14, 2016