User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"My experience was good. Although my side effects were a bit intense! I only had to take the pills for 2 days and the first day , I felt kinda funny and very uncomfortable. The second day I threw up a couple times and felt a little queasy and dizzy. But over all the medicine works good and my smell and over discharge went away"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"Horrid pills for me. Prescribed 5 days ago after developing BV post op from LEEP. I have 3 days left and don't think I can make it. Have thrown up and been in a constant state of nausea when I'm not actually vomiting. Headache, tired, so sick don't want to move. I take with meal and do not have a weak stomach. Not sure how much longer I can take it. This really is not fun at all. 30 yrs old, 110 pounds."

ABrook (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

"I've only taken two pills. I was prescribed the 500mg for 7 days. I've already had relief in discharge and odor. From what I see I should keep taking the pills the whole 7 days so I'll continue. It does have an awful taste that I can't take but I think this is a very helpful medication and I hope it prevents the infection from coming back. DO NOT take alcohol with this medicine."

JayTionne February 3, 2016

"The taste is awful. I was fine on my pap, I went in for STD check, and a pap since my discharge was yellow green ....I was normal on pap negative for any STD Gave me some vaginal gel because my doc thought it was for some reason a yeast. It worked for a week then I had sex with my partner for 3 yrs and the discharge came back and worst....went back the next day got another std check to be sure negative again. He said it was BV I took this medicine still taking it as well so far I see no results. Still have discharge now I'm spotting and extremely itchy down there.. I'll update this once I'm done with the meds."

bells1024 February 3, 2016

"I didn't get sick at all. No side effects of any kind. And I'm still itchy as anything I'm on day 5 of 7, 500mg twice a day. I don't think I'm stinky but I'm very uncomfortable. I just want to be comfortable!"

itchy vaggie February 3, 2016

"I went to the doctor just got a regular pap last week and he wanted to test me for bv. I had no symptoms of anything but it came back positive so he put me on this medication. Unlike everyone here, I was put on 3 pills per day. I have developed a sore throat and a slight cough. My back has started to hurt. None of these are symptoms of BV so I can't help but wonder if the medication is doing this to me. I never get sick. This is my first known experience with bv but I'm calling my doctor tomorrow."

Never sick (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

"Man I didn't want to take the meds. I texted and reaserched to see the easiest way to take the gross meds. I can say wrapping in bread worked to camaflogue the taste and I was able to get all 4 pills down. Waiting on the results which I read it clears in 48 hours. I just don't want to have the fishy smell. I'll update the results but so far I'm good until maybe the bread dissolves ....lol"

Boo83 February 2, 2016

"I was taking this medication twice a day for seven days and although it cleared up the BV, it made me very sick. I was nauseous, had headaches, all around felt like crap to the point I wanted to stop taking it. As for a bad taste, it wasn't strong but stayed in my mouth all day and I think contributed to my sick feeling."

Teatree January 31, 2016

Flagyl ER (metronidazole): "Quick Results, this is my second time taking Flaygl, it last for like 2 months first time around, but every time I have sex protected or not, my Ph becomes unbalanced again. This time around I just feel a lil nausea."

Leroyal (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

"So, I took this medicine for BV and I had no side effects. I not sure if the medicine worked because during the 3rd day taking the vitamins my period came and I wasn't sure if I should continue. I was prescribe it for 5 days. Since I only had 2 days left, I finished the medicine anyway. Now, I'm re scheduling a check up to make sure I'm clear and changing my diet. I also took pro b rephresh pills and still take them while I was on the medicine spread out of course. I'm going to continue taking pro b and eat things like plain yogurt, garlic, drink apple cider water,etc. Change to cotton panties with panty liners. Iheard Kefir is a good probotic drink. I'm going to try it. Take warm showers. Eat clean as possible. No meats, diary, or bread."

Anonymous January 25, 2016

"I thought I had a UTI and I was in so much pain but after seeing the doctor she told me it was not a UTI and that instead it was BV. She prescribed metronidazole and I went to go pick up the medication but didn't take it because I was hoping it would go away on its own. (I had never taken any medication before this) it went away on its own but came back a week later after intercourse. The pain was so bad that I decided to finally take the meds. Yes, the taste is awful. It stuck to my tongue and I almost choked. That's the only negative. It really does work and I haven't had any side effects."

KylieJ (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

"Although I dread taking this medicine, I admit it does just what it's supposed to. I am on the 500mg twice a day for 7 days AND metronidazole gel twice a day for 5 days. I researched taking both at the same time (afraid of vomiting and diarrhea) but I've been absolutely fine! The only reason I had a recurring case of BV is because of my LEEP procedure. The best way to take this medicine is with lots of water & a solid meal! I've incorporated probiotics such as Activia yogurt and a Lemon & Ginger tea to avoid all nausea and relief with digestion. I snack throughout the day so I've had no metallic taste. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, but then again, everyone react to medication differently! Remember, no alcohol-PERIOD!!!"

Blessed Lady January 21, 2016

"Was prescribed this medication 3 times in 2 years for BV. Ugh, I HATE BV with a passion. Currently, this makes my third time taking it. The first time made me extremely sick. I lost the urge to eat and always just felt like throwing up any and everything. It got rid of the BV but caused a yeast infection. The second time I took this caused more extreme nausea. The nausea was so bad that I couldn't finish the last pill. I was the definition of sick. This is the third time around with this medication. It's only my second day and I'm about to puke as we speak. Also, for the first time while on this medication I am experiencing diarrhea. I was NOT expecting this and I'm debating on finishing the rest of my pills. Overall, you're sick but cured."

Quantra (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"Works VERY well. On day two and barely have ANY symptoms. You MUST eat with this medication bc I found if I do not, then I get extremely sick. Other than that drink plenty of water with it and like I said make sure to eat. Very satisfied with this medicine. I also do not have a metallic taste like some people say. I think if you "think" your going to taste it, then you taste it. It's very psychological. Don't try and research this drug yourself. Listen to your Dr. they are giving this to you for a reason! So taste bad or not take it!"

GAL8815 January 20, 2016

Metro (metronidazole): "So far, I've gained agitation, lower back pain, insomnia, and taste change. I wouldn't recommend this treatment."

SarahWantsToReview January 19, 2016

"The majority of these reviews made me really worried about taking these tablets. However, I forced myself to, and have had no side effects whatsoever. No issues with the tablets tasting foul, I just swallowed them as normal. No nausea, I took them after my meal and with a half pint of water each time. And I didn't drink alcohol. I know everyone reacts differently but I would recommend starting your course if you have been prescribed them as my symptoms cleared up very quickly."

Apples009 January 16, 2016

"I had no symptoms of BV but was diagnosed after a pap and was given the pill for 2 pills a day for 7 days. The side effects have been absolutely awful. I went home from work on day two thinking I had the stomach flu (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, sweating). I finally realized it was the pills. I've also experienced trembling hands, night sweats, dry mouth, fatigue, loss of appetite (which is weird because I'm PMSing and usually starving at this time!), mood swings and increased anxiety. I don't find the taste of the actual pill to be as unbearable as everyone says, but it does leave that metallic taste in my mouth. I'm on day 4 and don't even known if I want to take the pill before work this morning!"

Brooke1282 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

"Wanted to share my experience; as someone who is VERY wary of medications and specifically antibiotics, I researched the hell out of this drug and made myself very paranoid about it. However, I am on day 2, and I just want to say, I have had NO issues. And I am someone who has myriad health issues and sensitivities, and a very weak stomach. I fastidiously planned out a strict regimen and it's working like a charm. I take it at the same times every day, WITH a full meal before, and a bit more food after, plus LOTS of water. I wrap the pill in a piece of torn bread to mask the flavor. The one time my stomach started to feel a bit upset, I drank 8 oz of Kefir and felt relief within 10 minutes. The infection already seems to be better!"

Nmt January 7, 2016

"Three days left of medication and I feel nauseaus and I sneeze every single time I take this pill!! Horrible medication I wish they can give me a cream to insert for my infection instead of the pills! Sour taste even though I have done everything they tell me to do! I take it with Orange juice and I don't use alcoholic mouth wash! Nor do I drink alcohol! I'm just annoyed half way done with my meds and I'm waiting to see if I need another because I don't like be way this medication is making me feel!"

Anonymous January 4, 2016

"This medication worked very well for me. The taste is awful but what I usually do is stick the pill in the back of my tongue and swallow. I find this easiest to do so I don't have to taste the medication as much. Following the instructions that your doctor gives you is very important and for this particular medication do not take with an alcoholic beverage( well at least I was told not to). I was prescribed 500mg taking 1tab twice a day for a week. This is my 2nd time having bv within 3 months I'm not sure why it came back but I will ask my gyno for more ways to prevent it. I can say excess discharge come along from taking this medication but I don't think it should be of any concern."

Dros January 2, 2016

"I had taken this medication last year while in the hospital (I don't remember what for) and was given pudding to mask the taste since it caused me to gag terribly. I found that trick to work this time as well. I had bv and was able to get an emergency appointment with my gynecologist. She prescribed this medication for me and it worked very well. I did not drink at all and took it every 12 hours as directed. I hope no one goes through this, but it is bound to happen. If you happen to get bv, please follow your doctor's instructions!"

TallLady82 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

"I weigh about 180lbs and I'm 5'5. I am on my forth day on the medication for BV- 500mg/2x a day for 7days. The odor was gone by the 2 day which is great but please don't feel tempted to stop the medication as a result. Try to make it to at least 5 days. It can be really tempting as you cannot drink on it and the taste is not the greatest. I take the pill with food to help eliminate any possible nausea and it helps. Had one glass of wine but drank lots of water and it was fine. This pill works but I cannot stress the important of taking some type of probiotics afterwards- this will help with preventing any other infections from popping up. Good luck ladies vagina problems happens to everyone"

ABklyn December 24, 2015

"I'm an on this medication for the second time. The first time I didn't wait long enough before I had sexual intercourse and that caused the bacterial infection to come right back. But I am on my first day for the 7 day treatment and I am really nauseous and I'm really tired. The first time I took this medicine the side effects didn't start until day 3. As I'm typing this, I feel lost I'm going to vomit any second while barely keeping my eyes open. Nonetheless it works really well."

Shamirah (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"I am only on day three of this medication and the annoying itchiness has mostly subsided. However, I am a big girl who usually never experiences any harsh side effects with medicine. Yet this makes me very drowsy and cloudy most of the day. Also, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL ON THIS MEDICATION. DON'T. It is very dangerous. I didn't think about it on my first day and had one margarita and two beers (which normally, would only give me a slight buzz). I left the party bc I was feeling very tired. By the time I got home you would have though I had been taking shots all night, I felt so intoxicated. I passed right out when I hit the sheets. Very scary."

sallywholou December 21, 2015

"On my 4th day of a 5 day course (2 tabs a day) and thank god it almost over! In my experience the symptoms get worse as the course goes on, the tiredness is the worst for me as I have two small children. I keep feeling spaced out shakey and weak its scary as I've felt I may pass out on occasion, I'm eating more than usual to try and combat this but it doesn't seem to work. On the plus side it works and I'm pretty sure the BV has gone but as tempting as it is to throw away the last two I will take them because I really don't want to have to go through this again!"

Ellie (UK) (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015