User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"This is my first experience with BV - the only noticeable symptom was change in odor. My doctor prescribed me 500 mg 2x daily of flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 the odor went away but I developed bad symptoms from the antibiotics - such as, flushed face and upper chest, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, head ache, ear ache (ringing in ears), dizziness, change in speech and discoloration of urine. On day 5 I began taking probiotics (2 probiotics to 1 antibiotic ratio) and the symptoms almost completely diminished. I plan to continue taking the probiotics as a permanent part of my daily regime in order to avoid future infections and/or develop a yeast infection. Also, Make sure to eat a solid meal with each pill."

Mandy3 May 23, 2015

"This is my first experience with BV and if I ever get it again I plan on trying a different route before doing this antibiotic again because it was so rough on my body. Of course if all else fails I would do it again. My only BV symptom was odor. Doc prescribed me 7 days of Flagyl- 500 mgx2 daily. The drug made my skin hot and flushed internal prickly. I felt lethargic, with little appetite. My mouth felt tingly and I would slur my words; itchy eyes, headaches, rapid heart beat, inability to sleep, loss of personality .. By day 2 of the pills my odor was gone but by day 4 the symptoms of from the pills were almost to bad to finish. I started taking probiotics on day 5 and it was a complete game changer. All the symptoms were so much better. Plus, it lowers the risk of developing a yeast infection (common side effect of flagyl). I take 2 probiotics with each one pill twice daily, and two probiotics alone at lunch. I also made sure to drink electrolytes (ie. Coconut water) and eat food with each pill. Good luck!"

K.Lynn (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"It tasted so bad to the point I refused to take it. But cover the pill in peanut butter and put peanut butter on your tongue it helps A LOT."

Kimmy31708 May 20, 2015

"First experience with BV was a nightmare just because of the odor and discharge alone. I was scared because I didn't know where or how I even contracted it. I was a freshman in college and on campus the OBGYN prescribed me Clindamycin. I had no symptoms, just the same metallic taste as the Metronidazole. By the second day it was gone. I had unprotected sex and BV came right back :( a few months passed by and I finally went to get treated & they gave me Metronidazole. Now I'm on my second prescription of the Met. I'm on day 2 and hopefully this time BV will vanish."

sadgirlwithBV (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I had bv during my pregnancy and yeah the metronidazole tasted terrible to the point I didn't wanna take it, but it cleared everything up for me fast so I'd take again. I did have some symptoms such as extreme drowsiness and I don't think the baby likes it either. I can't eat much because I feel sick. Besides the side effects and taste it works really well."

tyeeeeee May 19, 2015

"So I have suffered from BV for a couple years now - without even knowing!! I have noticed over the last few years that my scent had gotten really strong, and I automatically thought it was normal, but I was very very self conscious of it!! I finally started googling it, and low and behold...BV showed up everywhere! For me, it was strictly scent, I had no other symptoms. I am married with 2 children, and only have sex with my husband. I finally went to the doctor, and within a day of 500mgx2 daily, I noticed a HUGE difference and it feels wonderful. However, I absolutely hate the side effects of this drug. Oh so tired the third day in (slept all afternoon), the nauseousness and metallic taste in my mouth is incredible,but I would take it again!!!!!"

Not so self conscious anymore!!! =) May 13, 2015

"Pill was nasty. I finally dipped it in olive oil and was able to take it without tasting it. Took about 5 days for symptoms to resolve. Nasty medicine but will take again if I get bv again. No other side effects"

SarahHH May 8, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I hate experiencing Bacterial Vaginosis ! The smell is horrible and makes u feel very uncomfortable around ppl. The discharge is disgusting like thick cottage cheese. "

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"I have been suffering from BV for about 8 years now. I've always been prescribed metronidazole. It works for me, it takes two days for the symptoms to clear. Mines is recurring because of my period. So I get it every month. :( which I hate it's embarrassing. I have no side effects from the medication, I just hate the horrible taste. I never eat with mines but everyone is different and bodies react differently to medication."

KickBV (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

"After reading all of the crazy reviews I was completely against taking Flagyl. I've been with my bf for 10 months and we are sick of the BV and the fishy odor. I finally started taking Flagyl and after the 2nd day of taking it the smell was completely gone. I had no side effects except cola colored urine when I wake up in the mornings. I just hope and pray the BV never comes back."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

"I'm taking 2x daily for 7 days 500mg. First pill...I had super painful urination almost like I was peeing razor blades, felt weak(almost as if I was drunk), couldn't concentrate, weird discharge, dull abdominal cramps, and at night had strange dreams. I usually don't have problems with meds so this surprised me. But since taking two more pills the initial symptoms have improved. So I'm hopeful it's working. I also recommend eating before you take a pill...and after, drink lots of water."

77tht1girl (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

"I put off taking this medicine for 3 weeks because I am an avid wine drinker. Anyway started and first day no issue. Second day so tired...could barely stay awake. Third day not too bad took with big breakfast and juice. Fourth day took just with juice and was sick for real. I am pretty sure I threw up most of my medicine. Fifth day ok."

not doing well (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

"I got this for bv within the first 48 hr the smell is gone and I'm feeling it working. However I did get sharp pelvic pains, face red and hot, nauseous, feeling very very ill like the flu came over me and also very moody! The rumbling tummy came soon after the 3rd dose and I don't want to eat or drink anything at all which I could stand to loose a few pounds lol But it's working and Those are temporary so I'm continuing."

love life (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"First time I had BV I was giving metronidazole to take twice a day for seven days, by the second day I had noticed the smell had cleared up but was unable to complete treatment due to the side effects. I got BV a second time around 18 months later and doctor prescribed 4 tablets to take at once, I experienced no side effects whatsover and everything had cleared up within two days. Would recommend taking after a meal."

Lala0807 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"Inability to orgasm. I never have an issue orgasming otherwise. I Have noticed during the last two times I've used this medicine that I cannot orgasm during sex. However, this symptom would not stop me from taking this medicine again as its benefit certainly outweighs this issue."

Brooke1484 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"Only on the 3rd day and it's awful, throwing up, headaches, awful taste in my mouth. It is working though!"

Anonymous March 13, 2015

"Prescribed the 2 per day for 7 days of the 400mg. The first day was fine, the second I had a couple of hours before having any food and wow, I have never felt worse in my life! I vomited uncontrollably everytime I ate or drank, felt dizzy, sank, slurred my words, couldn't concentrate, completely lost my apetite and couldn't sleep(and when I did I had strange dreams). Reticent to continue, it took me until lunchtime the next day to work up the courage to eat or to take the next pill...but after drinking as much peppermint tea as i could manage and some crystallized ginger(both supposed to settle the stomach) and having a sandwich, I experienced no further side effects! My symptoms had already cleared. 3 more days to go and feeling positive!"

AMLdn (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2015

"So I am currently on day 2 and let me just say, i have never been sooo TIRED! My stomach constantly aches and i feel a lot of pressure like i have to poop. I haven't quite hit the nauseous part yet. The reviews seem horrid but as of right now i'm still holding on with feeling decently normal. I haven't noticed my smell going away yet and i definitely still have the discharge. I just want this awful smell to go away. I find myself with soaked underwear and a heavy "cum/fish" smell lingering threw my pants, and let me tell you it's embarrassing because my friend told me she could smell it but i didn't say it was me... I am on birth control and with taking antibiotics your birth control with stop working for the next 2-3 weeks. SO be careful!"

Ashley Renae February 24, 2015

"I sympathize with those who had to prolong their treatment in the course of 5 days, I on the other hand and thankfully at that was prescribed only a single dose of 5 tablets of Metronidazole. Quick and easy. Make sure you eat before you take it though and I find if you hydrate yourself you less likely to feel nauseous. I've had recurrent bacterial vaginitis so I know what I'm talking about."

Selz (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

"I took Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis and thought I was dying. The nausea and headaches are unbearable but because I know it works I had to keep taking it. On the fourth day I started taking it with orange juice and eating after, and WALAH! It was so much better. No more headaches or nausea. Not sure if it was because I was halfway done with the med, or if my orange juice really worked. Hope this helps someone."

Anonymous January 14, 2015

"Want to say I tried the dipping pill in olive oil , was awesome. No bad taste what so ever. Swallowed very easily."

bad taste gone January 11, 2015

"I get Vaginosis around 3 times a year. I get the weekly dose that you take x3 times a day. It usually takes 2-3 days for my symptoms to stop. This time though my outer vagina lip is inflammed a little. This is the first time this has happened. This is most likely from me scratching the irritated area. I have been putting an ice pack on the lip to cool it down and ease the itching. This has worked, but I am still experiencing a slight tingling around the vaginal opening. I have only had 2 doses as this is my first day. I really hope this awful tingling stops overnight so I can get my life back. I do not experience any side effects and do sometimes drink a little while on these meds. Still works fine and do not feel sick at all!"

Kim the Kim January 1, 2015

"I took this twice a day for 7 days, and have never felt so sick on a medication. I had severe headaches, bloating, constant nausea, aches and pains all over. As many others have mentioned, it tastes rancid unless you're really proficient at throwing it into the back of your throat and chugging it down immediately- even in a second, the taste stuck to the back of my throat and made me gag. A couple other really important notes -- this medication lowered both my liver function (hence no alcohol while you're on it! They mean it) AND my platelet count... So I was getting nose bleeds, bruises and some fairly alarming vaginal bleeding while on it as well. "

Anonymous134 December 31, 2014

"I've had bacterial vaginitis on & off for many years and just got sick of treating it until a few days ago when I was struck with bad pelvic pain and pressure, ended up in ER and diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease which has caused an abscess on my left ovary. Turns out the Pelvic Inflammatory Disease has been caused by the untreated bacterial vaginitis over time. So please get treated every time you get symptoms. I'm on day 2 & have an ease of symptoms from the BV but get very nauseous and sick feeling after taking it. I'm also on a few others for the PID but it's definitely no fun. Don't ignore Bacterial Vaginitis."

Simplysharon85 December 28, 2014

"Okay so before I took this I read all the reviews on here. I was frightened. So I began a 7 day process, 2 pills a day. The odor went away the 2nd day. I guess it started smelling normal. I was very pleased it didn't have that fishy smell anymore. However I still discharged and on the last day I discharged so much! The doctor and nurse said it's just cleaning everything out. Overall I was pleased. The effects I did have were diziness, headaches, abdominal pain, and somewhat nauseous. What was weird was that one day my mouth tasted what it smelled like. It smelled and tasted in my mouth like a little bit of bleach. Oh and the pills aren't that bad tasting when you get used to it."

Tryingtofindacure December 17, 2014