User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"I am currently taking this medicine for the treatment of BV. I have not experienced any of the side effects from the pill, but it's just not working for me. I'm on day 5 of taking it and my symptoms have only increased. The itching is unbearable, especially in the evenings and at night. It actually woke me up at 3am. The discharge is even worse than I when I started. I have never had the fishy smell, so I didn't need that to disappear. The pill tastes gross but I haven't had any nausea from it. I called by obgyn on day 4 and the nurse said sometimes symptoms get worse before it gets better but I haven't seen any other reviews that support that. I was really hoping they'd give me a different prescription but they said wait it out. :("

NeedHelpNow4BV July 25, 2015

"After having sex with a new uncircumcised partner I noticed the next day I had smelly urine, different smelling discharge (not fishy though), and tenderness in the vulva region. Doc said I had a mild case of BV. I opted to treat it with Flagyl vaginal gel but that didn't work and I was still symptomatic after the 5 day course. Went back for a culture and and doc said not only did I still have BV but I also had a yeast infection. Took one Diflucan for the yeast and then started Flagyl again but this time in pill form, not the vaginal gel. No nausea but weirdly the pills make me feel very lethargic and a little spaced out. Also, I have a decreased appetite."

Sad Vagina (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

"First time with BV, although I had no discharge or odor, so I couldn't get the diagnosis really quickly. Anyhow, I have been taking this drug (Metronidazole) with milk and a little food twice a day and have no crazy side effects that everyone else seems to have. Sure, it tastes bad, but I can't believe I didn't get the nausea like so many others, considering I feel like I have a wimpy body when it comes to everything else. It's been fine in this case, and on day 4 I feel I'm about 99 percent better."

Anonymous June 27, 2015

"Don't have any really bad side effects, other than:bad taste, gas , and bloating. Hope it works. Doctor also gave me 3 DIFLUCAN to take on day 3, 5 , and last day of treatment to prevent yeast infection."

Anonymous June 23, 2015

"Had BV and prescribed 2 pills a day for 7 days. Cannot drink alcohol for 10 days which sucks but worth it to be healthy again. I tried the gel before and was messy and didn't work. This pill makes me feel nauseous especially at night time. Bad headaches and tired 24/7 I can barely make myself get up and out of the house. I forgot to take 2 twice a day so had to take them longer than the 7 days. I think it worked, hope it is gone for good. I also have no appetite nothing sounds good to eat. Force yourself to eat something when u take it and coat the pill before putting in your mouth the taste is horrible like no pill I've ever had before, I dipped mine in random foods to avoid taste (frosting, pudding, peanut butter is a good one)."

ADPBFGh16728 June 20, 2015

"I have suffered from BV for about five years now.It wasn't until last year I began my first treatment by taking x3 pills a day for a week.It was a horrible experience I felt the need to puke, nauseous, light headed, weak and the taste of the pill is disgusting.Well, it didn't work after I ended the treatment and I gave up on it.Now I'm taking it again as the second treatment and my hope's are up I haven't felt bad except the need to pee at least five times a day.I think it's working I'm by day three.Now I also say it's good to eat alot of food each time you take it especially if you have a weak stomach with loads of water.So If you have BV I recommend you take this drug it's really effective instantly."

review (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

"I Had the pills. 14 pills and 2 a day. The first day was fine, i felt a little light headed but nothing to complain about. Second day felt a little nauseous because I didnt drink water that day, Nor did i eat very healthy. Third day had no symptoms. Smell and discharge was completely. The rest of the treatment i was perfectly fine. You just have to eat a lot of fruits and drink lots of water At least 7 cups a day. I don't see why every one complains about the pills . i also used the cream for 5 nights. It didnt work. Bv came back the next week after the treatment was over. If youre going to do the treatment i recommend doing the pills."

starjuliann (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Noticed unpleasant odor from "downstairs" so I made an appointment with my GYN who prescribed me 500mg of metronidazole twice a day (ended up taking pills 8 hours apart). Symptoms cleared up within 2 days of taking this medication. I experienced no major side effects from this drug (I was just thirstier than normal), but I have to agree with others, it does taste awful."

thankful&grateful June 7, 2015

"I took metronidazole for a BV. It worked right away however my first symptom was metallic taste. Soon my appetite was decreasing. Day 6 I felt extreme nauseous. I have one more to take. I've never had horrible experiences swallowing pills except now. Day 7 and I'm still miserable with being nauseous to the point where I can't get up and do simple daily things. I hope I do not get this again because although the medicine works wonders, the symptoms have been horrible."

Anonymous June 7, 2015

"Omg! The nausea is unreal! I was sick throughout the entire week of taking this medicine. The nausea never subdued and it got worse at night. I know it is a must but I can't even right now! I'm so ready for it to be over!"

TSickly (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"Got BV recently. Went to doctor. Got prescription and i started taking it on Sunday. First day, no symptoms. Second day, only a mild headache for a few hours. Yesterday, no symptoms. At least the smell cleared up. It's fourth day and i feel quite hungry. I take the pill 3x a day and with food and juice. I crush the pill up and mix with juice so it'll taste better (and i have a fear of choking on pills). So far, so good. The pill affects everyone differently."

ShayMay May 27, 2015

"This is my first experience with BV - the only noticeable symptom was change in odor. My doctor prescribed me 500 mg 2x daily of flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 the odor went away but I developed bad symptoms from the antibiotics - such as, flushed face and upper chest, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, head ache, ear ache (ringing in ears), dizziness, change in speech and discoloration of urine. On day 5 I began taking probiotics (2 probiotics to 1 antibiotic ratio) and the symptoms almost completely diminished. I plan to continue taking the probiotics as a permanent part of my daily regime in order to avoid future infections and/or develop a yeast infection. Also, Make sure to eat a solid meal with each pill."

Mandy3 May 23, 2015

"This is my first experience with BV and if I ever get it again I plan on trying a different route before doing this antibiotic again because it was so rough on my body. Of course if all else fails I would do it again. My only BV symptom was odor. Doc prescribed me 7 days of Flagyl- 500 mgx2 daily. The drug made my skin hot and flushed internal prickly. I felt lethargic, with little appetite. My mouth felt tingly and I would slur my words; itchy eyes, headaches, rapid heart beat, inability to sleep, loss of personality .. By day 2 of the pills my odor was gone but by day 4 the symptoms of from the pills were almost to bad to finish. I started taking probiotics on day 5 and it was a complete game changer. All the symptoms were so much better. Plus, it lowers the risk of developing a yeast infection (common side effect of flagyl). I take 2 probiotics with each one pill twice daily, and two probiotics alone at lunch. I also made sure to drink electrolytes (ie. Coconut water) and eat food with each pill. Good luck!"

K.Lynn (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"It tasted so bad to the point I refused to take it. But cover the pill in peanut butter and put peanut butter on your tongue it helps A LOT."

Kimmy31708 May 20, 2015

"First experience with BV was a nightmare just because of the odor and discharge alone. I was scared because I didn't know where or how I even contracted it. I was a freshman in college and on campus the OBGYN prescribed me Clindamycin. I had no symptoms, just the same metallic taste as the Metronidazole. By the second day it was gone. I had unprotected sex and BV came right back :( a few months passed by and I finally went to get treated & they gave me Metronidazole. Now I'm on my second prescription of the Met. I'm on day 2 and hopefully this time BV will vanish."

sadgirlwithBV (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I had bv during my pregnancy and yeah the metronidazole tasted terrible to the point I didn't wanna take it, but it cleared everything up for me fast so I'd take again. I did have some symptoms such as extreme drowsiness and I don't think the baby likes it either. I can't eat much because I feel sick. Besides the side effects and taste it works really well."

tyeeeeee May 19, 2015

"So I have suffered from BV for a couple years now - without even knowing!! I have noticed over the last few years that my scent had gotten really strong, and I automatically thought it was normal, but I was very very self conscious of it!! I finally started googling it, and low and behold...BV showed up everywhere! For me, it was strictly scent, I had no other symptoms. I am married with 2 children, and only have sex with my husband. I finally went to the doctor, and within a day of 500mgx2 daily, I noticed a HUGE difference and it feels wonderful. However, I absolutely hate the side effects of this drug. Oh so tired the third day in (slept all afternoon), the nauseousness and metallic taste in my mouth is incredible,but I would take it again!!!!!"

Not so self conscious anymore!!! =) May 13, 2015

"Pill was nasty. I finally dipped it in olive oil and was able to take it without tasting it. Took about 5 days for symptoms to resolve. Nasty medicine but will take again if I get bv again. No other side effects"

SarahHH May 8, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I hate experiencing Bacterial Vaginosis ! The smell is horrible and makes u feel very uncomfortable around ppl. The discharge is disgusting like thick cottage cheese. "

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"I have been suffering from BV for about 8 years now. I've always been prescribed metronidazole. It works for me, it takes two days for the symptoms to clear. Mines is recurring because of my period. So I get it every month. :( which I hate it's embarrassing. I have no side effects from the medication, I just hate the horrible taste. I never eat with mines but everyone is different and bodies react differently to medication."

KickBV (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

"After reading all of the crazy reviews I was completely against taking Flagyl. I've been with my bf for 10 months and we are sick of the BV and the fishy odor. I finally started taking Flagyl and after the 2nd day of taking it the smell was completely gone. I had no side effects except cola colored urine when I wake up in the mornings. I just hope and pray the BV never comes back."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

"I'm taking 2x daily for 7 days 500mg. First pill...I had super painful urination almost like I was peeing razor blades, felt weak(almost as if I was drunk), couldn't concentrate, weird discharge, dull abdominal cramps, and at night had strange dreams. I usually don't have problems with meds so this surprised me. But since taking two more pills the initial symptoms have improved. So I'm hopeful it's working. I also recommend eating before you take a pill...and after, drink lots of water."

77tht1girl (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

"I put off taking this medicine for 3 weeks because I am an avid wine drinker. Anyway started and first day no issue. Second day so tired...could barely stay awake. Third day not too bad took with big breakfast and juice. Fourth day took just with juice and was sick for real. I am pretty sure I threw up most of my medicine. Fifth day ok."

not doing well (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

"I got this for bv within the first 48 hr the smell is gone and I'm feeling it working. However I did get sharp pelvic pains, face red and hot, nauseous, feeling very very ill like the flu came over me and also very moody! The rumbling tummy came soon after the 3rd dose and I don't want to eat or drink anything at all which I could stand to loose a few pounds lol But it's working and Those are temporary so I'm continuing."

love life (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"First time I had BV I was giving metronidazole to take twice a day for seven days, by the second day I had noticed the smell had cleared up but was unable to complete treatment due to the side effects. I got BV a second time around 18 months later and doctor prescribed 4 tablets to take at once, I experienced no side effects whatsover and everything had cleared up within two days. Would recommend taking after a meal."

Lala0807 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015