User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 327 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Cazter101:

For Dental Abscess: Effective to a point but had most awful side effects, including nausea, diarrhea, numb tingling over abdomen, arm neck and back (all down one side) headaches, dizziness, weakness and fatigue.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by Gross and over it:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have had bacterial vaginitis for over a year now, experiencing a multitude of odors - sometimes fishy, sometimes sweet, sometimes metallic. Also dealt with the uncomfortable discharge that requires panty liners and constant underwear changing. I got the 7-day pill supply, 500 mg, 2X/day. I am currently on my final day. The odor cleared up almost instantly, and the discharge was gone by the time I was taking the 2nd pill! Oh, and side effects were minimal and very tolerable! However, yesterday (6th day) I had a massive clump of discharge, larger than I've ever experienced, and I began to itch terribly. Not sure if this is something else, but I'm waiting to finish the pill supply and give it a few days before I contact the doc.

May 31, 2014 5:10 PM

Review by Jenna24:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Works well but the taste is horrid.

May 28, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by 444vvvv:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: After 3 days, I've felt really nauseous non stop. My stomach is non stop hurting. But, I haven't had any weird odor or discharge. Bad side effects.

May 24, 2014 7:14 PM

Review by ammulle (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Had my first flare with diverticulitis 4 months ago, ended up in the emergency room. Prescribed Bactrim and Flagyl and four days bed rest. Pain subsided after 2 days on the meds, but felt pretty crummy for the next week, and had to deal with loss of taste and bad taste in my mouth. Didn't attribute feeling so yucky with the meds. Had a second milder diverticulitis flare up four days ago. Went to the doc 2 days ago and I'm back on Bactrim and Flagyl. Came back to work today and I am SO NAUSEOUS! The bad taste in my mouth has returned, and I really don't feel well at all. I really DO NOT want to end up where I was last Jan when I went to the emergency room - so I'm still taking the Flagyl. Doc gave me Zofran for the nausea, it helps some.

May 9, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Misha20 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I experienced itching around the opening of my vagina, a fishy/musty odor and clumpy discharge. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with. I'm on my second day of dosage with this medicine, and all of those symptoms are gone, but I'm going to finish out the 7 days to make sure it's gone for good. Now, I don't have to be ashamed anymore.

May 8, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by kjautry:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This medicine is great at killing infections. I had bacterial vaginitis pretty bad and by day two the symptoms were gone. I'm on day 5 of 7 day treatment of 500mg twice a day and I haven't had much symptoms till tonight. Before I was feeling some dizziness, some fatigue and lack of concentration. I was also suffering from very uncomfortable constipation. Tonight after taking it I've felt nauseous and my stools are starting to get softer. I'm really afraid to take it tomorrow for in fear of how bad it will make me feel.

May 5, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by rckymtnangl:

For Diverticulitis: 1st time and hopefully last time with diverticulitis. On Cipro and Flagyl. No pain after 48 hours. Followed clear liquid diet plus plain probiotic yogurt for 2 days to keep diarrhea at bay and NOT get thrush then switched to a low fiber diet. Doctor only gave nuts/raw veggie restriction but I decided to give colon a rest. Dark urine despite drinking 64 oz water each day. Also take probiotic in the morning. I've read other posts saying meds would be stopped or reduced...NOT a good idea in order to completely eliminate the bacteria. I've heard the infection can return, not as a new infection, but because the bacteria count was diminished, not wiped out. A pharmacist told me to take the Flagyl first, then take the Cipro 2hours later. That's helped!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2014 9:24 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have been taking this pill, I've been skipping days because I forget BUT let me tell you this medicine does wonders. I had a very strong fish odor and it would even trespass my pants, it was so horrible! With heavy discharge and different color discharge but I'm so amazed with this medicine.

April 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by AnotherBrick (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trichomoniasis: The taste is unpleasant, though not as unpleasant as trichomoniasis. Upon the first dose (500 mg) I suffered from flu like side effects. My neck grew stiff, I felt feverish and steadily nauseous. It did not cause me to lose my appetite, despite the nausea. Headaches became common, along with an undying thirst. Having to go to work on this medicine was as difficult as a virus. I had trouble sleeping to the extent that I actually had remained awake for over thirty hours before falling asleep. It was around the third day in that I suddenly had thick, white discharge that had a musty odor, however that only happened that one day. It is a rough pill, but it gets the job done. No pain, no gain, as they say.

April 23, 2014 2:49 AM

Review by Metronidazole:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 6 of my medication and it has worked wonders. I had a strong fishy smelling discharge for two months, that lasted all day. Literally on DAY 2 of my medication the odor and the discharge disappeared! I didn't have to keep changing underwear or wiping off my undies anymore. This medication gave me my life and confidence back. The taste of the medicine is pretty bitter if you let it sit on your tongue, so have your water ready so you can drink it fast. Also eat a small meal before to avoid nausea. NOT AFTER. The first 2 days I ate after and felt like I just couldn't make it through the day. After that I tried eating before and the nausea didn't come back. Hope this helped!

April 17, 2014 2:34 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This medicine helped it go away completely in the 7 day treatment but it is the WORST thing I have ever tasted in my life and it has come back afterwards.

April 16, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Raee:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been taking the medicine on and off for 5 years, I have a repeating bacterial vaginitis infection. The medicine tastes like medal, for those of you who ask, "how do you know what it tastes like", your mouth begins to have a metal flavor and the taste of your food is altered. The medicine literally makes me ill, my head hurts and stomach is nauseous. There aren't any other medications that work for bacterial vaginitis and this one obviously isn't perfect, never less, it does the job for 3-5 months and then I repeat the course of action all over again. So my advice is to hang in there and take the pills until completed. Hopefully you will have greater longevity.

April 15, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by ..........:

For Bacterial Infection: My doctor had me taking this twice a day for 7 days. I'm on day 5 and have experienced dry mouth (from not wanting to drink), a few horrible headaches (possibly from not being able to drink so dehydration) and periods of fatigue. Today I worked out and got extremely sick which never happens so some advice would be to not do a lot of exercise while on this. It's really not horrible though. Definitely worth the side effects since my symptoms were so unpleasant. My doctor also told me not to drink on it.

April 11, 2014 1:26 AM

Review by Nanamama5 (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Started this 4 days ago for an anaerobic infection in my jaw, that had not responded to other medication. The first I developed a severe headache at bedtime, took one of the pain pills the dentist had prescribed because of my jaw/tooth abscess. Took care of it, and went about my business. So far, every NIGHT I developed a headache an hour or so after taking my last dose of the day (1 500mg tab twice a day). This is day 4. Only other side effect I've noticed is significantly darkened urine. I would have been really worried about that (as I have kidney stones) but had a routine visit with my urologist today who said it was ok and would go away.

April 8, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by rockyrono (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: It worked and did the job it needed but after a week of taking 2 a day my body ached all over, my arms hurt to bend over as agony and I felt so tired no matter how much I slept. Also took along with ofloxacin and can't wait to be over with this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by Niki 32yrs (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Taken at night with a common yeast infection pill worked great!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Tamaraerringtonpaul86:

For Bacterial Infection: Well I've been on the pill for 3 weeks straight due to the infection not wanting to budge. They just gave me the pills again this week along with the gel and the two treatments together seem to be doing the trick but had the infection on and off for 7 annoying months. No side effects at all.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by A mom79:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Doctor prescribed this medication for bacterial vaginitis 3x a day for 7 days well I took my 1st dose no problem except a little diarrhea. Took my second dose and went to bed. A few hours later I'm awakened out of my sleep to a tingling face. My right side of my face is swollen.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Sue. M (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: I couldn't keep it down now I take a fruit roll up pick up the pill with tweezers and then pinch together to enclose the pill with my fingers pop it in my mouth and walla no bad taste .

February 23, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by baroness140:

For Dental Abscess: I was put on amoxicillin for abscessed tooth and it helped but did not completely clear the infection. Am on Flagyl now and I feel better than I have in years. Instead of sleeping ten hours a night I am sleeping about six and yet I have more energy than I have ever had. I feel so good right now that I would like to take this forever. My fibromyalgia is in remission and the chronic fatigue is gone. This is an awesome. I wonder if the really bad side effects for other patients is because they are allergic to it, or this antibiotic is just not the right one for the infection that they have (and are they staying away from fermented sugars/alcohol?).

February 23, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by Trud53:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have been dealing with bacterial vaginitis on and off for a while and usually metronidazole works. The only issue is the yeast infection afterwards. However, after I completed my last treatment I developed a terrible case of hives (never happened to me before) Days later, the hives cleared up but then the yeast infection! After the yeast infection, guess what came back...BV! I don't know what to do at this point.

February 20, 2014 7:10 AM

Review by Angiemarie:

For Diverticulitis: First time I had diverticulitis I was prescribed metronidazole and Cipro. The metronidazole was so horrible tasting it would make me gag and throw up. I got some double zero gelation capsules and put the pill inside the capsule. It worked like a charm, no more gagging. It works for bad tasting pills as well as chalky pills that get stuck in your throat. Good luck!

February 17, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by jeanit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: Dr sent me to the ER as this was my 1st diagnosed diverticulitis. I was admitted and given the 2 medicines IV. I was in the hospital for 3 days and since taking the Flagyl orally I gotta admit UGH! YUCK. I never want to go through that again. So I definitely will follow the diverticulitis diet.

February 8, 2014 8:11 PM

Review by Eddie B:

For Bacterial Infection: Taste like any medication. If it was that awful they would put it in a capsule. No side effects on day 6 of 500 mg. 3 x a day. Stopped CDI diarrhea really fast. Would take again if the spore reinfect me as they do with 20% of people.

February 3, 2014 5:36 PM