User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 279 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Momto4 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: I took this along with Cipro. After 3 days on a 10 day treatment, I was feeling much better. I made the decision to discontinue both. I had horrible diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, nasty taste in my mouth, no appetite, zero energy & sleepiness. I would not take this combo again for anything. Lost 5 lbs while taking it due to inability to eat or drink much.

October 22, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: The taste of this drug is so terrible that I would gag and the pill would get caught in my throat. Then I would gag some more and throw it all up. I finally asked my doctor if it would hurt if I coated it with something and he said it shouldn't. So tonight I melted a couple pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate in a little saucer and rolled each pill in it to coat. One or two mins in the frezzer on a plate and bam! Not a problem tossing it back and swallowing these suckers now.

October 21, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Marba (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Today is my second day with metronidazole 500 mg and I have to take it 3 times a day for 5 days and I feel great . The only problem I have is that I can't go to sleep and every juice I take it taste metal to me . Every time I take the pill my heart rate goes from 80 to a 100 in like minutes and the pill taste like metal . But I love it .. I feel so much better now, than I was before . I mean I still have some things but it's getting there ..

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by tired of the odor!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am a very clean person. And to have dealt with this problem for about a year has made me tired! Really active with boyfriend and I couldn't explain why I had this persistent foul odor... cause I didn't know. Went to the dr. And the test came back positive for bacterial vaginitis! Prescribed metronidazole 2X@7days. Took the first pill last night at 945pm and the second this morning at 945am. Decided to read about some experiences this morning and was relieved that most felt better by pill #3 or #4. Before the dr. Visit I was digusted by my odor!!!! I didn't even want to use a public restroom and have someone come in right behind me. The medicine is nasty but I don't care!! I am just ready to be able to embrace my femininty!!!!!

October 19, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by SheenaB (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This medication DOES work, I will give it that-however, the side effects are driving me insane. It makes me feel so wired, I have been taking it for 3 days now and have not slept more than 8 hours total. I am so tired all I want to do is sleep. Doctor said this is the only medication that will work for what I have so I guess I have to get through it for 4 more days!

October 15, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by eclecticAlexis:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Bacterial Vaginits was single handedly the worst health experience I have ever had. I don't know what it is but boom you have vaginal odor and you just can't even look in the mirror. My Dr. prescribed me metronidazole twice a day for seven days. The nurse warned me that it tasted awful but I didn't care just wanted to feel better. Within 24 hours of my first dose my odor and discharge was gone. All the reviews are right, it tastes awful but if you can drop the pill in the back of your throat and not let it touch your tongue, then drink a lot of water, you won't even taste it. Eat before you take it. Time your doses with meals and flush your fluids and you should be able to avoid the metallic taste like I did. The medication works!

October 7, 2013 6:16 PM

Review by Josh888:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Don't drink alcohol while on this. I had 1 light beer (approx 0.9 standard drinks) and felt completely ill. Also ironic that you should take this pill after eating, though with acute diverticulitis you shouldn't eat at all. I found drinks like Up & Go (breakfast drink) were a good option. Medication does work but tastes horrible.

October 6, 2013 11:16 PM

Review by N'diya:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I used the meds for 5 days, and although it cleared up my bacterial vaginitis; on day 3 of the meds I developed a yeast infection.

October 6, 2013 1:54 AM

Review by Crys280183:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've had bacterial vaginitis for years on and off. I really have never taken any serious medication because I prefer to do things naturally. I can say that candy triggers my odor a lot but I've tried to cut back and the odor still exists. I finally got tired of the odor and over excessive discharge and was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg by my Dr. The first day no change, the second day no smell. I was so excited I had to tell people. I was so in bondage by the bacterial vaginitis. I haven't had any of the symptoms listed! I was fearful at first because I always feel like pills are going to make my heart race but it was fine. No headache, no drowsiness. I ate a meal with every dose and drank plenty water. This is my third day and I am supposed to take medicines for 7 days. It works.

October 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Review by Wisey1981:

For Dental Abscess: Was given 3 x 400mg daily for 5 days, after I had 4 teeth extracted under sedation. It made me feel very unwell. So tired, headaches, dizzy, no energy, a brain fog too. No tooth or gum infection though ! Stopped taking it 24 hours ago, hoping to feel better soon.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was prescribed metronidazole to take two times a day for seven days. I must say after the second day, the discharge and odor I had been experiencing for months went away. I finished the course of my medicine today so hopefully after my cycle finishes, my issues would have gone away. If you are experiencing side effects, just remember to take your doses with a regular meal. That works wonders. I have experienced ZERO of the side effects that were listed on label. Hope this review helps someone one.

September 25, 2013 8:17 AM

Review by jillandjack:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am taking this medicine right now and it has already began to work 3 days In. But I have been having severe headaches for the past 2 days and I'm always sleepy. Otherwise I love the medicine.

September 23, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Amazing, it completely got rid of the odor and discharge. The pill is the worst tasting pill I'll ever had in my life but it works. I have two more days of taking it but I already notice a difference.

September 17, 2013 5:44 AM

Review by Anonymous NY (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Giardiasis: I took Flagyl and Cipro for giardia and salmonella diagnosis. Both taken for one week. The Flagyl has a terrible taste and you have to drink something besides water while you are taking it because everything tastes metallic. It works to eradicate the infection but I was very happy when the seven days of treatment was over. I also experienced lack of appetite however you must eat something when you take Flagyl or it will upset your stomach. Other side effects experienced: bloating, burping, hiccups, terrible taste in my mouth all the time, lack of energy. But the need for the medication outweighs the side effects and it took care of the infection.

September 15, 2013 11:25 AM

Review by Gbwi (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This is the 2nd time taking this medication. 1st time was for bacterial vvagnitis, I got really sick. Thrush in mouth, metal taste, headache, backache. I had to quit after 5 days. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and prescribed it again. I almost cried and begged the doctor for a different pill. Which I was told this is the only medication. However this time I found a way to not make me sick. I coat the pill with honey and take it. This time I have had no sides effects other than the beginning stages of oral thrush which the doctor prescribed liquid nystatin for just in case. I also take a probiotic.

September 14, 2013 10:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 3 of 7, 3x a day. Have taken every pill straight after a meal, & get a mouthful of water before putting pill in mouth - no taste at all other than the 1st time when it wasn't even that bad anyway, just tasted like when you accidentally leave a paracetamol in your mouth too long! As for side effects, I've had a headache pretty much every day but nothing bad that paracetamol won't help and very slight continuous stomach ache (nothing crippling!). No diarrhea or vomiting here, and infection slowly subsiding. I definitely recommend, the side effects for me simply aren't bad enough to stop you taking it at the expense of not treating your bacterial vaginitis.

September 13, 2013 11:35 PM

Review by charlyd:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Pneumonia: The medication is a very good antibiotic & it really did help my situation.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 7:06 PM

Review by Scott1699:

For Diverticulitis: Medication worked great. Was hospitalized for diverticulitis for 8 days about a year and a half ago. Had second flare up. Been on medicine for three days and feeling much better. Only side effect is bad taste in my mouth.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 11:11 AM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm not finished with the pills yet but I feel a difference already and I no longer smell my odor. And I have to say the pill tastes horrible and I've had severe diarrhea and headaches. Other than that I think the pill is great.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 9:42 PM

Review by .............:

For Bacterial Infection: Within a couple days of taking Metronidazale the infection cleared up, in that aspect I feel 100% better! But the symptoms of the antibiotics are terrible.. my entire body aches, I feel exhausted, my toes and fingers are tingling, I have no appetite I have to force myself to eat something in order to take the medicine, bad diarrhea. I have a couple more days of this and I can't wait to be done!

September 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by Haley_0808:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 4 and all of my symptoms from my infection have subsided but I have been experiencing some few mild side effects from the medicine. It seems to dehydrate me as every morning I wake up feeling weak and my urine is orange/almost brown which is normally not common, I drink about 2 32oz bottles of water daily. Also since I have been taking my doses during breakfast/dinner it has been making me restless and keeping me up a while longer at night. Other than that, the only real complaint I have is the horrible taste of the pill. I have tried putting the pill in a chunk of jello, taking it with orange juice, and each time I take it I still give a small taste of the pill and that alone makes me want to throw it right back up.

August 24, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by steph123456:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: So the infection cleared up in a matter of two days, but I've been dizzy, lightheaded, short of breathe, coughing (I smoke every now and then, and I've been feeling it), weird appetite. If I don't drink enough water before I sleep, I wake up feeling almost hungover. Essentially, I feel weak and tired & the pill tastes awful. Thankfully today's the last day.

August 22, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by Nat x:

For Bacterial Infection: Definitely works at treating the problem. I agree if not swallowed quickly horrible taste. I suffered migraines through my 5 day course (I'm on day 4) and my body felt crappy but most of all I felt shattered even after a good nights sleep. I'm glad I'm on my last day tomorrow.

August 11, 2013 1:50 PM

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: I have been taking Flagyl and Cipro for Diverticulitis and it seems to be helping. After my stay in the hospital where the doctor put me on a food rest for several days, including IV antibiotics he prescribed these two meds. There are some issues I have had taking them such as low energy level, limited concentration when getting tired, but most of all nausea. I recommend if you are going to be taking either or both of these meds always take with plenty of food (meal time not just a snack), don't plan on doing too much (you won't have the energy), and ask your Doctor for a as needed prescription of a nausea medicine just in case you need it. I have needed something for nausea at least once daily since on the medicine.

August 11, 2013 3:10 AM