User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 299 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by I'll be happy when it's done (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I had very mild symptoms of BV. Really minimal amount of discharge and only an odor after sex. I googled my symptoms and diagnosed myself with BV. I didn't want to have sex again until I got it taken care of. I went to the doctor and vwala...diagnosed and RX'd Metronidazole 500mg BID. I'm only on my 2nd day of the medicine. I googled taking a probiotic (lactobacillus) alongside it (3-4 hours after you take your metronidazole) because the metronidazole could upset your bacteria/yeast balance in your body and actually cause you to get a yeast infection. So I've been taking my metronidazole and then 4 hours later I'll take a probiotic pill. I am SUPER dizzy and my tummy hurts. Not digging the side effects :-(

January 21, 2014 5:08 AM

Review by 30whitefemale (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Its my 4th day on 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily and 500 mg of cefprozil twice being treated for bacterial vaginosis the smell is gone! Im so relieved but it burns a bit like when I get bladder infections but I'm confident when I'm done these pills I can a dress my bladder I been getting bladder infections for years off and on anyway off topic the pills dont have a taste just swallow with big gulp of juice or water and your good I dont notice any side effects other than the burning its bearable Tylenol or advil can help with that I was so embarrassed by the smell I finally had to do something so glad I did

January 16, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by happynhealthy:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: It's my third time using the metro gel for 5 days and I always get a metallic taste as the only side effect but this third time I had little to no appetite, felt dizzy and my face was itchy but this medicine works fast, the smell and discharge are gone on the second day.

January 10, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by sgenter (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Metronidazole causes me to have headaches, bloated stomach with cramps(sometimes severe), and a heavy feeling. Prescribed for H-Pylori treatment for 10 days along with Clarithomycin. It also causes a lack of appetite. When taking this medicine, it will taste bad and leave a bad taste in your mouth and throat for a few hours. I find drinking a hot beverage like cocoa or low acid coffee after taking it has helped relieve the bad taste but doesn't get rid of it completely. For Manufacturer's: Manufacturer's should really consider making this as a hard caplet. Maybe even adding a flavor enhancer. In it's current form, it almost immediately starts dissolving before being swallowed with a disgusting salty taste.

December 28, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by Lalalinda:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though.

December 23, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Jill87:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have gotten bacterial vaginitis a few times over the past few years. Unlike most, I don't usually experience any odor or discharge. Instead I just suffer from vaginal pain that is so bad it keeps me awake at night. I have taken this antibiotic in the past, and it works great - I feel better after just a few doses. This time around, I got very nauseous after my first dose, and ended up throwing up. I think because I didn't take it with a real meal (just a small snack) it upset my stomach. Another possibility is I took a probiotic this morning which says not to take it within 2 hours of taking an antibiotic...

December 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Review by No longer Ashamed (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Bacterial Vaginitis is not uncommon, taking a daily probiotic with a high number of live bacteria (the beneficial bacteria in yogurt) greatly reduces the risks of getting bacterial vaginitis again. My boyfriend and I are very active, usually daily, and like clockwork I was having to treat bacterial vaginitis every 5 weeks for nearly a year. Each time I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg twice daily for 7 days, each time by day 2 the odor is gone. The medication is great, the taste is terrible so I suggest putting the pill into the back of the throat onto a mouthful of already chewed, ready to swallow food without allowing the pill to touch any part of the mouth, it helps! Douching isn't recommended, rinse out in a bath.

December 5, 2013 10:48 AM

Review by Sandy87:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been using the gel, so I don't have no taste problems with the pill. Same dosage though, I inset the gel vaginally once at bedtime for 5-7 days and so far I'm on day 2 and no odor. I've had no side effects accept mild stomach pain and a little fatigue. So far it's great but I will see as the process continues.

December 4, 2013 1:40 AM

Review by Wild kite (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Used both Flagyl and Cipro. Also I found that after 7 days the color of my urine did not look right, freaked out and did some calling around to pharmacist, only to find out said yes this is a side effect although not real common, of course I would be the odd ball.

December 2, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by TayMade (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: I started the medicine and didn't have any side effects for up to three days, but after the third day the side effects hit me big time. I was sick to my stomach, and I had vomiting. I didn't have a problem with the taste of the pill, I just threw it in the back of my throat and chugged some juice to make it go away really quickly. My infection seems to have cleared up, after the first two days. No discharge, or itching. Haven't had intercourse yet to see if the discomfort was gone but will make another review when that happens. Great medicine!

December 2, 2013 11:51 AM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This pill works good. I have been taking it for 3 days and symptoms are gone! I have been suffering from bacterial vaginitis for a year and ignored it. I got checked out for everything else except for B.V. and just thought it was something normal until I got pregnant and started having a lot of stomach pain and discharge so I told my doctor about it and she prescribed me this medicine. I can say this medication works wonders.

November 27, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by EmmyBeans:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I didn't have any side effects at all. Seemed to work right away - Although my symptoms were rather subtle. Only negative thing was I dreaded taking it because the taste is nasty. As soon as it was in my mouth the powder dissolves and I had to eat chocolate or something. Drinking something didn't really help with the taste. Use food!

November 26, 2013 8:50 PM

Review by Ginava (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I never use pharmaceuticals, not even aspirin, and haven't for years. After getting bacterial vaginitis for the first time I was prescribed two 250mg metronidazole twice daily for 7 days. I very hesitantly tried this after my natural remedies weren't cutting it. An hour after my first dose, taken after dinner, my heart rate increased and I got shaky. Then I had an uncomfortable anxiety attack lasting about 20 minutes. Eventually my body calmed down, but was still buzzy. Couldn't sleep well, and when I did I had vividly disturbing dreams. It was otherwise tolerable through the week, a bit of morning nausea and slight headache, and drastically fluctuating energy levels. I also took potent probiotics with it which helped a lot. The smell and discharge are gone.

November 21, 2013 8:18 PM

Review by hE'ScHEATINGoNmE! (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: Got this from a cheating boyfriend and received this medicine. Went back for a follow up in two weeks and I was given a clean bill of health.

November 21, 2013 2:05 AM

Review by xshmem:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was suffering symptoms of BV for more than 6 months. It was making me so self conscious, I started avoiding sex and constantly has to wear panty liners because of the discharge. I finally went to the GP about it two days ago and he prescribed me Metronidazole. So far the discharge seems to have stopped and it's the first day in what feel like forever I have been able to not wear a pantyliner, odour seems to have gone already as well. It's not until this has started to clear up that I have realised how much its was dragging me down!

November 16, 2013 4:02 PM

Review by stranger321 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: when i found out i had bv, my doctor prescribed me with metrodinazole. my doctor told me to take all 4 pills at once with food and water. on the second day the odor was gone. then the discharge was slowly going away. i was looking up the side effects of metrodinazole. i did have a metallic taste whenever i ate or drank something and i felt kinda dizzy at times. but i must say, it is all worth it to have a healthy body again.

November 12, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by anon17:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I'm taking Flagyl for what I guess is a bacterial infection but I've been taking it for a few days possibly even a week and I cant really tell a difference, all I know is that I have an inflamed colon and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in December, I'm taking 500mg three times a day for 14 days and sometimes I do miss a dose every now and again, could this be why I haven't noticed much change?? and I haven't experienced any side effects aside from feeling a little tired because i always take it after a meal, the only thing i have to complain about it is that its uncoated so it tastes pretty bad but if you just take a mouthful of drink first then drop the pill in it really helps with the taste. btw im only 17 years old

November 4, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: The medicine really works, which is great!!!! If you take it with a glass of milk, you wont even taste it.

October 28, 2013 12:03 PM

Review by Amarige (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diverticulitis: The only way to take this medication is with apple sauce. I put one 500mg pill on a tablespoon of apple sauce, swallow it and immediately follow with additional applesauce. There is no after taste of the pill and the applesauce kills the smell as well. This is the only way i can can take it. Try it, it really works

October 26, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by Emj88:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis after having cold coagulation following an abnormal smear. I had a bad odour and swelling of the abdomen. My doctor prescribed me metronidazole 400mg twice a day as well as co amoxiclav 500/125mg three times a day. I found after taking the first few doses I felt quite drowsy and tired and I expected this as metronidazole is such a strong antibiotic, I felt a loss of appetite but carried on eating as normal and taking the tablets whilst eating.Once I was on the 2nd day I started to feel quite nauseous but soon found this to be if I allowed myself to get hungry so defo take this tablet with food! The odour was gone by day 3 and so did the side effects! A wonder drug! :-)

October 22, 2013 12:16 PM

Review by Momto4 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: I took this along with Cipro. After 3 days on a 10 day treatment, I was feeling much better. I made the decision to discontinue both. I had horrible diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, nasty taste in my mouth, no appetite, zero energy & sleepiness. I would not take this combo again for anything. Lost 5 lbs while taking it due to inability to eat or drink much.

October 22, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: The taste of this drug is so terrible that I would gag and the pill would get caught in my throat. Then I would gag some more and throw it all up. I finally asked my doctor if it would hurt if I coated it with something and he said it shouldn't. So tonight I melted a couple pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate in a little saucer and rolled each pill in it to coat. One or two mins in the frezzer on a plate and bam! Not a problem tossing it back and swallowing these suckers now.

October 21, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Marba (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Today is my second day with metronidazole 500 mg and I have to take it 3 times a day for 5 days and I feel great . The only problem I have is that I can't go to sleep and every juice I take it taste metal to me . Every time I take the pill my heart rate goes from 80 to a 100 in like minutes and the pill taste like metal . But I love it .. I feel so much better now, than I was before . I mean I still have some things but it's getting there ..

October 21, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by tired of the odor!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am a very clean person. And to have dealt with this problem for about a year has made me tired! Really active with boyfriend and I couldn't explain why I had this persistent foul odor... cause I didn't know. Went to the dr. And the test came back positive for bacterial vaginitis! Prescribed metronidazole 2X@7days. Took the first pill last night at 945pm and the second this morning at 945am. Decided to read about some experiences this morning and was relieved that most felt better by pill #3 or #4. Before the dr. Visit I was digusted by my odor!!!! I didn't even want to use a public restroom and have someone come in right behind me. The medicine is nasty but I don't care!! I am just ready to be able to embrace my femininty!!!!!

October 19, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 9:43 AM