User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 0 reviews 23 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 72 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 50 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 422 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Dental Abscess: "Went from spending two days unable to sleep due to absolutely unbearable tooth pain to more or less no more pain in 24 hours. Slight feelings of nausea but it doesn't even register compared to the horrific pain I was experiencing before it."

Bridge27 April 9, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Today is my 3rd day on this antibiotic. I had been experiencing an embarrassing discharge for a few months now. I repeatedly asked my doctor to test me for BV -- After 3 failed attempts to have my doctor test me for bacterial vaginosis, telling me that I was being overly sensitive - I finally sought a second opinion, and turns out, I did in fact have the infection. I am on my third day of the antibiotic (twice a day for seven days) and while I have noticed some uncomfortable side effects such as restlessness and night and mild queasiness - my symptoms are completely gone. No discharge, no embarrassing smell. Thank heavens! I will gladly be slightly uncomfortable for a week to rid myself of this disgusting, embarrassing infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "I am on 3rd day of medication after having a severe tooth abscess. Infection and pain subsided to almost nil. Only side effect is drowsiness and slight depression but I can live with this as opposed to the horrendous pain of the abscess. 4 days to go for a tooth extraction as it is wobbly and loose."

Dobbinblue March 31, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "took one , felt bad./ took second dose according to schedule....stood up to go to bed, blacked out, ended up in ER with concussion. / no way would i take this again. / there has to be better antibiotics than this dangerous drug."

wayness (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "First time I had BV I was giving metronidazole to take twice a day for seven days, by the second day I had noticed the smell had cleared up but was unable to complete treatment due to the side effects. I got BV a second time around 18 months later and doctor prescribed 4 tablets to take at once, I experienced no side effects whatsover and everything had cleared up within two days. Would recommend taking after a meal."

Lala0807 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Inability to orgasm. I never have an issue orgasming otherwise. I Have noticed during the last two times I've used this medicine that I cannot orgasm during sex. However, this symptom would not stop me from taking this medicine again as its benefit certainly outweighs this issue."

Brooke1484 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "First off, don't forget that a lot of people are probably doing excellent with little-to-no problems with this antibiotic. Sort of like you never really hear from happy customers, usually the unsatisfied ones. Also that everyone's body reacts differently. ...that being said, Holy Cow the nausea! Ugh... Stomach cramps and pretty much constant nausea all day today (day 2). Eventually had to leave work early. Pepto did not help. Going to try taking Nauzene with me to work tomorrow, see if it helps. (OTC nausea medication - a life saver in the past) Taking it with Cipro. Been on this combo before for my diverticulitis without so many stomach problems. Still a better option than the huge waves of pain from a flare-up."

Seattle Guy (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "I just had my 1st bout of diverticulitis and am now being treated with cipro and flagyl. I was in ER for a few hours with IV antibiotics then sent home, this was wed. night and i started treatment thursday. The pain has eased up but i feel tired a lot, feel depressed and spaced out, and went from being constipated to diarrhea. My urine looks dark like beer, bitter taste in mouth, gas and burbling noises...not fun. But considering how sick i was before treatment (fever, abdominal pain, terrible diarrhea...thought it was the gastro) this isn't so bad. Every day it seems to improve...i hope this clears up and I will do my utmost to make sure I never have another flareup again."

Marylene (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Took flagyl to treat bv (I actually think it was trich) one doctor said it was trich one said it was bv. Don't expect to see results within 3 days 4 days or etc. everyone's different. Odour went away for me within 4-5 days and discharge never went away until the last pill! Even 3 days after I had clumps of discharge but it was just cleaning itself. I kept reading reviews and making myself paranoid and wanting to cry lol. This is my third time and it's finally gone. I also wash with vagisil ph balance. Btw Don't have sex and don't take medication that will counter act the medicine. (E.g. Tums for stomach relief or Tylenol/Advil)That is all! Hope this helped!"

KIJ March 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was put on this drug, intravaneously, following emergency surgery for an anal abcess. When I awoke in the hospital several hours after surgery, the first reaction felt like hot, fluid fire being poured down my throat...burning my mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach. After that, I immediately began havid horrid hallucinations...saw several dark, death shadows hovering over me and flying across the ceiling and walls. I immediately called the nurse and told her about the symtoms, and insisted that she remove all IVs (she wasn't very symphathetic). I finally slept for a couple of hours, but when I awoke, I had an awful metallic taste in my mouth that lasted for 2 weeks after I was released."

Boomer53 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I've just finished these and felt a bit strange and dizzy. Was glad the 7 days were over! However 3 days now since I finished them and today I am feeling awful terrible diarrhea and sickness, so it doesn't necessarily finish when you stop then. You still shouldn't drink alcohol for at least 2 days after stopping them!"

DougsterMan March 20, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I took flagyl 500mg/3 day and cipro for 10 days due to a bacterial infection. The Infection was already causing me stomach pains and headaches which the meds seemed to clear up. I did experience nausea the first few days as well as tiredness, headaches, metallic taste and diarrhea that were all pretty bad. If my infection is gone, it was worth it but I'm 3 days off the meds and still my stomach isn't totally right and I feel tired and weak."

Merissa76 March 14, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Only on the 3rd day and it's awful, throwing up, headaches, awful taste in my mouth. It is working though!"

Anonymous March 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on day 3 1/2 of taking this and I have gone from hardly being able to get out of bed to back to almost normal function! My fever is mostly gone, the diarrhea and vomiting are gone and I feel almost back to normal. I do have some light headedness and still have a little bit of tummy cramping when I eat, as well as dehydration, but that is it, thankfully. A tip would be to eat before taking this pill and then I always eat a little something after taking it too and then drink a lot of water. I was recommended to eat a very bland diet for 11 days. I read online to eat soluble fiber instead of insoluble fiber and it has been helping a lot!"

AZMiss (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I've been taking flagyl 500mg twice a day for 6 days now for bacterial vaginitis. I almost decided to give up on sx but I told my new bf that we have to be extra careful next time. Wash our hands like a surgeon. I'm not even sure I want to have oral sx anymore. I just don't think it is worth it. Is it possible not to get an infection with oral. I am at the home stretch. I have that metallic taste in my mouth and nausea. I'm also fatigued but I am a mother of two girls and it could be anything. My doctor actually prescribed this medication for 10 days but I'm only doing it for 7. My symptoms are gone and I just wanted to comment because I like reading other people's stories. It really helps me not feel so alone."

almost over March 9, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!"

rahelle March 8, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed the 500mg pills for 10 days to fight some sort of bacteria infection in my stomach. I am on day 6 and have had zero issues with these meds until today. I took one of the pills without eating anything with it(I have always taken the meds with food previously)and felt as if I was going to die about 30 minutes later. Serious cramping, nausea, headache, and a sudden franticness overcame me and all I could do was sit down in the subway line I was in. Fortunetly, I forced myself to eat a bag of chips and chugged a 32 ouch tea and found relief within 10 minutes. Needless to say, making sure you eat with this prescription is strongly advised. As for the job, it eradicated the infection and showed improvements a day after treatment"

SixtySeven (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Prescribed the 2 per day for 7 days of the 400mg. The first day was fine, the second I had a couple of hours before having any food and wow, I have never felt worse in my life! I vomited uncontrollably everytime I ate or drank, felt dizzy, sank, slurred my words, couldn't concentrate, completely lost my apetite and couldn't sleep(and when I did I had strange dreams). Reticent to continue, it took me until lunchtime the next day to work up the courage to eat or to take the next pill...but after drinking as much peppermint tea as i could manage and some crystallized ginger(both supposed to settle the stomach) and having a sandwich, I experienced no further side effects! My symptoms had already cleared. 3 more days to go and feeling positive!"

AMLdn (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I am currently on day 2 and let me just say, i have never been sooo TIRED! My stomach constantly aches and i feel a lot of pressure like i have to poop. I haven't quite hit the nauseous part yet. The reviews seem horrid but as of right now i'm still holding on with feeling decently normal. I haven't noticed my smell going away yet and i definitely still have the discharge. I just want this awful smell to go away. I find myself with soaked underwear and a heavy "cum/fish" smell lingering threw my pants, and let me tell you it's embarrassing because my friend told me she could smell it but i didn't say it was me... I am on birth control and with taking antibiotics your birth control with stop working for the next 2-3 weeks. SO be careful!"

Ashley Renae February 24, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "it seems to be helping the infection but the side effects are hard to deal with. Not used to being nauseous or having any kind of side effects at all. But I have found out that smoking marijuana helps with the nausea and the dizziness. Highly recommend the drug if you have an infection. But also highly recommend having a bag of herb for the nausea. I would highly recommend smoking before you take your daily dose. It that stops the nausea before it ever happens."

bez336 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later."

Jolenne H February 16, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "This medication was a life saver. I was ill for 3 weeks and my stomach cramped every time I ate and I lost weight. Three tests were done and the last one finally showed a couple of white blood cells that indicated an infection. Finally, my Dr. prescribed this miracle medicine. After the first day of dosages I was significantly better and could eat more than one slice of bread the whole day without my stomach cramping. I haven't taken this medication in over a month and still feel healed. This truly is a miracle medication."

Estancia (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "I was put on metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg twice daily for diverticulitis. I noticed the pain eased up after 2 days. I'm on day 5 and I feel horrid. Diarrhea, headache, tired, dizzy, nauseous, foggy headed, anxiety, depression and body pain. I don't know if I can do this for 5 more days!"

kb78 February 7, 2015