User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 0 reviews 23 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 73 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 51 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 411 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Only on the 3rd day and it's awful, throwing up, headaches, awful taste in my mouth. It is working though!"

Anonymous March 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on day 3 1/2 of taking this and I have gone from hardly being able to get out of bed to back to almost normal function! My fever is mostly gone, the diarrhea and vomiting are gone and I feel almost back to normal. I do have some light headedness and still have a little bit of tummy cramping when I eat, as well as dehydration, but that is it, thankfully. A tip would be to eat before taking this pill and then I always eat a little something after taking it too and then drink a lot of water. I was recommended to eat a very bland diet for 11 days. I read online to eat soluble fiber instead of insoluble fiber and it has been helping a lot!"

AZMiss (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I've been taking flagyl 500mg twice a day for 6 days now for bacterial vaginitis. I almost decided to give up on sx but I told my new bf that we have to be extra careful next time. Wash our hands like a surgeon. I'm not even sure I want to have oral sx anymore. I just don't think it is worth it. Is it possible not to get an infection with oral. I am at the home stretch. I have that metallic taste in my mouth and nausea. I'm also fatigued but I am a mother of two girls and it could be anything. My doctor actually prescribed this medication for 10 days but I'm only doing it for 7. My symptoms are gone and I just wanted to comment because I like reading other people's stories. It really helps me not feel so alone."

almost over March 9, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!"

rahelle March 8, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed the 500mg pills for 10 days to fight some sort of bacteria infection in my stomach. I am on day 6 and have had zero issues with these meds until today. I took one of the pills without eating anything with it(I have always taken the meds with food previously)and felt as if I was going to die about 30 minutes later. Serious cramping, nausea, headache, and a sudden franticness overcame me and all I could do was sit down in the subway line I was in. Fortunetly, I forced myself to eat a bag of chips and chugged a 32 ouch tea and found relief within 10 minutes. Needless to say, making sure you eat with this prescription is strongly advised. As for the job, it eradicated the infection and showed improvements a day after treatment"

SixtySeven (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Prescribed the 2 per day for 7 days of the 400mg. The first day was fine, the second I had a couple of hours before having any food and wow, I have never felt worse in my life! I vomited uncontrollably everytime I ate or drank, felt dizzy, sank, slurred my words, couldn't concentrate, completely lost my apetite and couldn't sleep(and when I did I had strange dreams). Reticent to continue, it took me until lunchtime the next day to work up the courage to eat or to take the next pill...but after drinking as much peppermint tea as i could manage and some crystallized ginger(both supposed to settle the stomach) and having a sandwich, I experienced no further side effects! My symptoms had already cleared. 3 more days to go and feeling positive!"

AMLdn (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I am currently on day 2 and let me just say, i have never been sooo TIRED! My stomach constantly aches and i feel a lot of pressure like i have to poop. I haven't quite hit the nauseous part yet. The reviews seem horrid but as of right now i'm still holding on with feeling decently normal. I haven't noticed my smell going away yet and i definitely still have the discharge. I just want this awful smell to go away. I find myself with soaked underwear and a heavy "cum/fish" smell lingering threw my pants, and let me tell you it's embarrassing because my friend told me she could smell it but i didn't say it was me... I am on birth control and with taking antibiotics your birth control with stop working for the next 2-3 weeks. SO be careful!"

Ashley Renae February 24, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "it seems to be helping the infection but the side effects are hard to deal with. Not used to being nauseous or having any kind of side effects at all. But I have found out that smoking marijuana helps with the nausea and the dizziness. Highly recommend the drug if you have an infection. But also highly recommend having a bag of herb for the nausea. I would highly recommend smoking before you take your daily dose. It that stops the nausea before it ever happens."

bez336 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later."

Jolenne H February 16, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "This medication was a life saver. I was ill for 3 weeks and my stomach cramped every time I ate and I lost weight. Three tests were done and the last one finally showed a couple of white blood cells that indicated an infection. Finally, my Dr. prescribed this miracle medicine. After the first day of dosages I was significantly better and could eat more than one slice of bread the whole day without my stomach cramping. I haven't taken this medication in over a month and still feel healed. This truly is a miracle medication."

Estancia (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "I was put on metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg twice daily for diverticulitis. I noticed the pain eased up after 2 days. I'm on day 5 and I feel horrid. Diarrhea, headache, tired, dizzy, nauseous, foggy headed, anxiety, depression and body pain. I don't know if I can do this for 5 more days!"

kb78 February 7, 2015

For Amebiasis: "I am on day 6 of 10, 3 times per day at 750mg. It does taste awful but I am keeping the benefits in check to outweigh how I feel. I do have nausea following but it passes in an hour or so. I few really sleepless nights too. I have been sick on and off the last 3 years and if this is what gets me feeling more amazing on the other side of this I am happy! Keeping my eye on 4 days from now. I am drinking a few tablespoons of Kefir between each dose, so far so good! I would struggle to take a second medication for yeast infections when it is so preventable with diet."

Gecko) February 7, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "The nausea that came with this is unbearable but it's working. I guess I'm not eating enough with it!?"

22yearsold (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I get reoccurring Bacterial Vaginitis. This medication is the only one that works. I've used tea tree oil suppositories, & 500mg boric acid suppositories. You can possibly get a yeast infection if you are sensitive. Boric acid suppositories are the only thing that works for clearing up a yeast infection. Bacteria that cause Bacterial Vaginits can be held in the urethra of a man so I would be aware of reoccurring infections with the same partner. Maybe get him treated also. Keep your sugar intake low. Strengthen your immune system. The gel is more expensive but seems to be soothing. The pills will get you well but do NOT ingest alcohol at all or you will get violently ill. I forgot at a work function once, never again!"

Cg00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I sympathize with those who had to prolong their treatment in the course of 5 days, I on the other hand and thankfully at that was prescribed only a single dose of 5 tablets of Metronidazole. Quick and easy. Make sure you eat before you take it though and I find if you hydrate yourself you less likely to feel nauseous. I've had recurrent bacterial vaginitis so I know what I'm talking about."

Selz (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis and thought I was dying. The nausea and headaches are unbearable but because I know it works I had to keep taking it. On the fourth day I started taking it with orange juice and eating after, and WALAH! It was so much better. No more headaches or nausea. Not sure if it was because I was halfway done with the med, or if my orange juice really worked. Hope this helps someone."

Anonymous January 14, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis. "

KL23 January 12, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Want to say I tried the dipping pill in olive oil , was awesome. No bad taste what so ever. Swallowed very easily."

bad taste gone January 11, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "First just to comment on the medicine itself, I was taking 500mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. I did not get to finish. The medicine is amazing! The smell and discharge were gone within the 1st two pills. The worst part were the side effects and this is why I didn't finish. I was constantly vomiting and could not sleep at all. Every time I tried to eat or drink anything I threw it right up. I also experienced diarrhea but that was not nearly as bad as the vomiting. I quit on day 4 because I couldn't bare the side effects, but the medicine itself is really a life saver!"

tlwrigh1 January 8, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on 5 days 400mg x 3 times/day course for infection in my stomach. I am on second day on this medicine. Feeling alright so far except Dry mouth and little metallic taste which goes away after sipping water every 30 mins. Drink lot of water but break it into small quantity, that way you get rid of dry mouth and other symptoms. Try to eat as well otherwise you feel more sick."

Garysingh January 5, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I get Vaginosis around 3 times a year. I get the weekly dose that you take x3 times a day. It usually takes 2-3 days for my symptoms to stop. This time though my outer vagina lip is inflammed a little. This is the first time this has happened. This is most likely from me scratching the irritated area. I have been putting an ice pack on the lip to cool it down and ease the itching. This has worked, but I am still experiencing a slight tingling around the vaginal opening. I have only had 2 doses as this is my first day. I really hope this awful tingling stops overnight so I can get my life back. I do not experience any side effects and do sometimes drink a little while on these meds. Still works fine and do not feel sick at all!"

Kim the Kim January 1, 2015

For Clostridial Infection: "If you need this medicine it really does work wonders. I had a C. difficile infection for over a month, could barely eat or drink anything and was going to the toilet at least 15 times a day in absolute agony. Within two days of taking metronidazole my bowel movements normalized and the stomach pains started to subside. Not only that it sorted out some of the bowel issues I'd had for two years. My stool was completely normal and bowel movements were pain free and I no longer experienced acid reflux. I did get headaches and some aches and pains but this was so much more tolerable than what I was like before. I can't speak for everyone but for me this medicine was like a miracle for me."

Beth0311 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took this twice a day for 7 days, and have never felt so sick on a medication. I had severe headaches, bloating, constant nausea, aches and pains all over. As many others have mentioned, it tastes rancid unless you're really proficient at throwing it into the back of your throat and chugging it down immediately- even in a second, the taste stuck to the back of my throat and made me gag. A couple other really important notes -- this medication lowered both my liver function (hence no alcohol while you're on it! They mean it) AND my platelet count... So I was getting nose bleeds, bruises and some fairly alarming vaginal bleeding while on it as well. "

Anonymous134 December 31, 2014