User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 238 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Jeresyeve (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I need to mention this.... DO NOT TAKE WITH MINERAL WATER!

May 18, 2013 2:44 PM
Review by HS123: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I was given 5 pills to take all at once after a meal. The one off dosage seems better than taking over a few days to me. They do not taste good but one day later the symptoms have almost gone. I forgot and had a glass of wine the day after and felt really very nauseous and unwell. Do not recommend alcohol with this medicine. The taste of the pills lingers in your mouth, so frequent brushing of teeth is recommended. These effects are worth getting rid of the symptoms though.

April 18, 2013 5:46 PM
Review by Mis213: User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: Personally after reading these stories & not knowing if everyone (besides those who stated) was taking Meronidazole with something else. I have had a few flare ups and I cannot take a combination of Cipro/Metronidazole as this causes the weird feelings and extreme lethargy. Metronidazole alone ( besides the bad taste when you pop it) no problems. Occasionally slight nausea & bloating but nothing else. I just don't take the combination anymore which was horrible. Straight Metronidazole now 500 mg 3x a day 10 days..done.

April 12, 2013 6:57 PM
Review by Kiiiiii: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I love this! It really works. When I had bacterial vaginitis the only symptom I had was a smell and a little discharge. This pill cleared everything up and I feel so much better and more confident about myself. On the pill 4x a day for 1 day.

April 3, 2013 2:46 PM
Review by alexnds (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: Was hospitalized with diverticulitis. Pain was acute. It made a grown man cry. After 4 days of IV injected Levaquin and another broad spectrum antibiotic, the white blood cell count was not going down. I constantly had blood drawn at 4 AM and results from the lab by 12 noon. The broad spectrum antibiotics controlled the white blood cell count from rising, but did nothing to decrease it. Even though I was on all liquid diet, and on morphine for pain, nothing was controlling the severity of the symptoms. It could have led to sepsis. An infectious diseases specialist was called for a consult and he added this antibiotic into the mix. In one day, this got the white blood cell count down and kept it going down after repeated blood draws.

April 2, 2013 11:45 PM
Review by Liz1979: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Started taking Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis on Friday. Didn't start feeling side effects until late Saturday, where I experienced flu like symptoms. It is now Tuesday, and I can't wait until my last dose. I am taking 500mg every 12 hours for 7 days. I also have interstitial cystitis, which I think the medicine is irritating my bladder. Fatigue is the worst symptom so far, doesn't help when I work midnights and am already tired. No diarrhea though, and no yeast infection yet. When they prescribed it too me, I was not happy! I just tell myself the benefits outweigh the risks. I just hope my Interstitial Cystitis symptoms subside when this is done.

April 2, 2013 6:25 AM
Review by Lainey79 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: 34 yr old female 500 mg-3 x 10 days. I do think it's healing me but I started having side effects from this from the first day I took it. Severe anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, lethargy, diarrhea, ringing in ears, hands shaking, night sweats, metal taste in mouth, couldn't focus, and was overall very irritated. By day 3 & 4, I starting having severe depression and uncontrollable crying, flu like symptoms and by day five I felt homicidal!! I'm currently on day 6 and luckily I missed my last dose or else who knows what could've happened! I am going to finish out my script but I may cut it back to just 2 a day. I'll be so glad when this is over with!

March 31, 2013 10:17 PM
Review by csee (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: Some diarrhea, besides that no side effects whatsoever. I had read some of the side effects and it bothered me when I started the medicine but nothing happened while I was taking it. I didn't get tired, did not hurt my stomach, nothing. The added benefit was that I had a knee I injured about 6 months ago and it hurt almost constantly. After taking the medicine a couple of days the pain in my knee disappeared.

March 29, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: I am on the third day of a seven day regime. I have experienced dizziness and nausea daily after my morning dose though it seems to be less intense after the evening dose.

March 23, 2013 2:35 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Before I started this medicine I was so worried because of all the reviews about bad side effects. I can honestly say I did not have a bad experience at all. I was on 500mg twice a day for 7 days. The 2nd day I was on it, I had very slight nausea in the evening but I started watching T.V and when the show was over my nausea was gone. The 3rd day, I had some wine and I was on my 2nd glass when I remembered I'm not supposed to drink while on Flagyl. I just finished my last dose & haven't experienced anymore nausea or anything. I've been lethargic the last 2 days but that may be due to getting my period. Not everyone has a bad reaction!

March 19, 2013 11:39 PM
Review by Glunk: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: The taste of Flagyl is simply abominable. It should be encapsulated. Been taking it a week with CIPRO. Stomach grumblings sound like a flatulent trombone lasting for 10-seconds at a stretch.

March 17, 2013 10:21 PM
Review by Hoodsey (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I have been on Metronidazole 500 Mg. 2x a day for 5 days, and every day I have had an insanely painful headache, lethargic, hard time concentrating and lack of appetite. My Dr. did say that headaches are common and there is a cream form but I have decided to just fight through the side effects of the pill. My bacterial infection did clear up, and I saw signs of it clearing up within a day. It does help to take the pill on a full stomach, and drink ALOT of water!

March 14, 2013 7:20 PM
Review by An88 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: People keep saying it makes them dizzy/nauseous however it's probably because they don't EAT a full meal or had alcohol or mouthwash. The pill can only work with a full belly or half full, not empty otherwise you will feel sick. As for alcohol, I took one glass of vodka and red bull and next morning felt really bad. If you wrap the pill in a tiny piece of bread it will easily get swallowed without tasting, this is a handy trick for those who struggle to swallow pills in one instance. I have taken METRO for 3 years probably once every 4 months as my bacterial vaginitis is reoccurring and it's good, better to have medication go on the inside than directly put on the vagina I think!

February 17, 2013 5:46 AM
Review by Ladyhk (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Trichomoniasis: The TASTE is awful! The way I take mines is I cover it up with yogurt. It has been working well with the taste. Side effects are vomiting and upset stomach sleeping. Good luck to all who is taking this.

February 10, 2013 3:54 PM
Review by JPCPSVA: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: For the last few years I have had recurrences, sometimes as often as once a week of vomiting and diarrhea. It seemed to be traced to exhaustion and fatty foods. In the meantime, my wife contacted C. Difficile in the hospital. Along the way, I may have contracted C.Diffcile too. In any event, my doctor prescribe Flagyl, which I took four times a day for 10 days. This cleared everything up but the problem kept occurring. For the last 45 days I have been taking 2, 250 mg. capsules once a day. Recently I have cut down to one. Although I have had occasional diarrhea, there has been no vomiting or nausea.

February 10, 2013 1:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in the ER I was given 2 antibiotics. I remember one of them leaving such a horrible taste in my mouth that I literally scrapped the back of tongue with a paper towel. From the prescription I learned the names Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole, take every 12 hrs for 10 days. By the 3rd dose I had the strongest headache ever, and diarrhea! The pharmacist told me that the headache was a result of the diarrhea because my body was being drained. Said I should increase on my water intake. Today I'm at dose 5 and I must say the pain has subsided greatly now at "3". I did increase my water intake, and although the diarrhea is still here, the headache too has subsided now at a "2".

February 9, 2013 12:56 PM
Review by honeydaniels: User Rating:

metronidazole for Trichomoniasis: I take mine with milk and follow up with coffee or a caramel frappe from McDonald's

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2013 7:28 PM
Review by moni0510:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I was prescribed metronidazole 500 mg at 11 weeks pregnant and it made me sick and dizzy every time I took it. So glad I am on my last dose.

February 4, 2013 2:29 PM
Review by sweepea: User Rating:

metronidazole for Trichomoniasis: The taste was terrible. I had 14 to take. I did have a few side effects, my infection has clear up a lot.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2013 6:19 PM
Review by Viccc (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I've had pretty much all the side effects! It's really scary and I got super paranoid. I thought I was going to die I felt so weak, but that's just the pill doing its job! I have no more funky smell I feel so much better the experience was bad but the outcome was perfect. 4 pills a day for 4 days!

January 31, 2013 4:25 AM
Review by Ziyal (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I had constant nausea and mild diarrhea on it until I eliminated dairy products. Took more than 24 hours after the last serving, but both the nausea and the diarrhea went away. I've also experienced fatigue, vertigo and a lot of trouble concentrating. Ugh. But it does seem to be doing the job. I'm taking it and another antibiotic for an infected surgical wound.

January 28, 2013 6:34 PM
Review by Emily1234 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: I'm on my 5th day for bacterial vaginosis. Yes you will get symptoms. I had dark urine and I don't know if its the medicine or me but I get extremely moody. I mean so far it's doing its job.

January 28, 2013 6:29 AM
Review by JuicePrincess (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: On my 5th day of 7 of the pill. It has taken full effect on clearing up any situation I had before. However has have left me to be constipated, bloated, fatigued and made me gain weight.

January 21, 2013 11:10 PM
Review by Metronidazole and monistat1: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day four 1/2 of seven. I started taking metronidazole for bacterial vaginosis at 8pm Tuesday night and I continued the 2nd dose Wednesday 8am. I was prescribed the 500mg for 7 days every 12hours. Overall I think the pill is great. I also on day 1 used a Monistat pill inserted into the vaginal for yeast infection. Metronidazole, my side effect I had was really dark looking urine by day 3 and the slightly bad taste nothing unbearable. But I feel everything is cured. I was taking for the awful smelling discharge that looked like cottage cheese and both are non existent so far. I did drink last night hope the meds still work.

January 19, 2013 11:01 AM

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: This medicine works, but oh my gosh the headaches I have been having, my vision getting worse, always tired, loss of appetite, I feel like throwing up after taking the pill. The taste is absolutely disgusting, I can't handle it but what can I do when this seems to be the only thing that really works. I have 3 more days left!

January 14, 2013 11:25 PM