User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 75 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 381 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metronidazole

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches."

Anonymous December 14, 2014

For Bacterial Infection: "I made the mistake of not reading about the side effects before taking this medication. I took my first pill at night and was up all night with stomach cramps and diarrhea. It was so bad I thought I had food poisoning. By the second day I had no appetite and the cramping and bloating in my stomach was unbelievable. It was at this time that I started reading the side effects and realized this was indeed a bad side effect. I too was so happy when my last day arrived to take mylast pill. And although I also experienced an awful taste in my mouth after taking this pill, that was the least of my complaints as all the other side effects were worse. Good luck taking this medication"

blueblondie50 December 14, 2014

For Diverticulitis: "Its ironic that Flagyl used to be given to alcoholics so they couldn't absorb alcohol in the liver causing terrible discomfort. Both meds Cipro and Flagyl work very well. Just take them separately and with some yogurt."

Ray j December 12, 2014

For Diverticulitis: "I find my experience to be the exact opposite of those I've read here! I had a terrible reaction to Cipro last year...vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. Refused it this week when I developed diverticulitis. I'm taking Flagyl and clindamycin combination with absolutely zero side effects. I plan to start yogurt tomorrow as diet progresses."

I'm an RN December 7, 2014

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "After being prescribed these for a pelvic infection I was worried about potential side effects. I have been taking them twice a day for just over a week now but haven't had any sickness or nausea I am happy to report. I have however noticed a metallic taste in my mouth, a bit of a numb tongue, change in taste, and the first few days I felt a tad dizzy like I was recovering from a hangover. I have also noticed an increase in my fluid intake and bowel movements, although nothing unpleasant."

Carly.j19 December 6, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach."

Coleaus December 5, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days."

Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I am currently taking this antibiotic, I am on day five. I honestly can't wait until it is over. I am an athlete in college and I can say that ever since taking this it has affected my performance. I also wish I would have started this earlier because it has me extremely tired and fatigue and this is FINALS week. I get constant headaches, awful taste left in my mouth all day, don't really have much of an appetite either. I've also been having horrible abdominal pain that sometimes aren't tolerable. I really do hate the side effects but I will go through this if it will make me better. The discharge as well as foul smell has gone away, which is what motivates me to keep taking this. I have only two more days to go. wish me luck!!"

Anonymous December 3, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Taking this 2x per day (every 12 hours) for 1 week straight while eating or with milk. I've experience abdominal cramps on the lower left side, some nausea (but not all the time), and definitely have had the gross, metallic taste in my mouth whenever I take it. On day 4, and discharge/smell seems to be gone. I've noticed that I barely notice the taste if I drink some milk before, then tilt my headback and let the pill drop, and then more milk until I don't feel/taste it anymore. I've even accidentally bit the pill when I was eating milk and cereal, and while it made me want to vomit for a split second, the taste was completely gone as soon as I washed it down with milk. Never taking this without milk again."

PRS_118 November 25, 2014

For Diverticulitis: "This is my first time with a Flagyl and Cipro combination. It's been 3 days and so nauseous and the lethargy is awful. I'm not sure I can continue the combination but I will be calling the doctor Monday morning. And I do have Zofran. These side effects are terrible."

tinknwolf (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!"

Anonymous November 18, 2014

For Bacterial Infection: "My last day on metronidazole, hooray. Am so glad I found this thread. I have felt horrible for the whole week. Took it for bacterial vaginitis , given by my obgyn. First two days were okay. Then had really bad diarrhea and rumbling sensations in tummy. No appetite, dizzy, felt so sick after taking it, no appetite and my urine was brown. I didn't wanna stop the course though because it cleared up my infection. I just wish we were told of the side effects. "

pmva November 13, 2014

For Dental Abscess: "The medicine is on my 3rd day, taken 3 pills daily, pain on my right side of my stomach, like stabbing pains, dry mouth, whole body is weak, can't get to sleep, loss of appetite, so far so good, but the side effects are bugging me."

dieHarder (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

For Deep Neck Infection: "Used alongside Benzylpenicillin to treat a Peritonsillar Abscess (abscess around the tonsil) caused by MRSA infection and anaerobic bacteria. Was on Intravenous Drip when in hospital with no side effects. Now on oral 400mg with some side effects; nausea, tiredness, metallic taste. It is working well to treat infection. I recommend to anyone who gets PTA"

Anonymous November 12, 2014

For Dental Abscess: "After having blood blister that was black burst in my mouth by an abscess tooth I felt really ill eventually I went to the dentist who put me on this medicine, one thing I will say it's very very very strong! And as I don't normally take medication really, it knocked me out! I had broken sleep, waking up every few hours or so tingling in my hands, very bad dizziness and nausea, constipation, coating of my tongue anxiety as I'm mentally ill and very spaced out and feeling medicated. Had no Choice though either I took it or ended up in hospital! Last day taking it today and hoping and praying the infection is cleared up."

Kay1212 November 12, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "I ended up in the ER with diverticulitis and was given Cipro and Flagyl. Yes the taste is bitter and things don't taste so good. However, despite the taste, I have gotten significantly better with the two medicines and that is the main thing for me. As with any medicines some of us will experience different side effects if any, but if this is one of them, this is very minor. I did not experience the nausea or a lot of other ones I read about with these medicines."

lonski November 9, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream."

CNored October 21, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!"

sla83838 October 21, 2014

For Bacterial Infection: "I am so glad I found this site.I thought I was the only one with the foul taste. This has been so helpful, I have learned to dip my Flagyl in Fudge topping but it stills has an after taste. I can however manage to swallow it. Thanks again."

mrstab6 October 18, 2014

Metro (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Not long after each dose I get extremely nauseous, even when taking with food. Having to take it 3 times a day is brutal. Let's just say I can't wait for my treatment to be complete."

Clogan08 October 13, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I get bacterial vaginitis all the time because of my sugar. With taking this medicine I only suffered sore throat and a yeast infection. I have to take it for 14 days 2x a day. It does work just.... hate no drinking alcohol."

tjswan77 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "It is a very effective pill BUT you have to make sure that you eat before you take it, a couple times I didn't eat and ended up throwing up. But besides that I haven't had any other side effects."

ashleyewell23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay."

Tried It! October 2, 2014

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "It worked well. My symptoms went away for the most part after about 3 days. Side effects weren't too bad. Mild upset stomach and abdominal pain. Today is the last day of my prescription. While I'm also just starting birth control at the same time there is still some spotting but I've been informed that it should clear up with in the next few days."

balefire (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2014

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "I was prescribed this medication for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease that I got with chlamydia from my cheating ex. I was told to take 2x 500mg tablets and separated intervals along with Doxycycline. The first few days made me so dizzy I couldn't drive so I returned to the clinic and was told to take them both before bed. I have been taking them for 9 days now the first 8 were okay but today I cannot even leave my bed. Everything is spinning I cannot, I have also experienced a loss in appetite and shall be discontinuing the use."

CarysEllison (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2014