User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 288 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by EmmyBeans:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I didn't have any side effects at all. Seemed to work right away - Although my symptoms were rather subtle. Only negative thing was I dreaded taking it because the taste is nasty. As soon as it was in my mouth the powder dissolves and I had to eat chocolate or something. Drinking something didn't really help with the taste. Use food!

November 26, 2013 8:50 PM

Review by Ginava (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I never use pharmaceuticals, not even aspirin, and haven't for years. After getting bacterial vaginitis for the first time I was prescribed two 250mg metronidazole twice daily for 7 days. I very hesitantly tried this after my natural remedies weren't cutting it. An hour after my first dose, taken after dinner, my heart rate increased and I got shaky. Then I had an uncomfortable anxiety attack lasting about 20 minutes. Eventually my body calmed down, but was still buzzy. Couldn't sleep well, and when I did I had vividly disturbing dreams. It was otherwise tolerable through the week, a bit of morning nausea and slight headache, and drastically fluctuating energy levels. I also took potent probiotics with it which helped a lot. The smell and discharge are gone.

November 21, 2013 8:18 PM

Review by hE'ScHEATINGoNmE! (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: Got this from a cheating boyfriend and received this medicine. Went back for a follow up in two weeks and I was given a clean bill of health.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 2:05 AM

Review by xshmem:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was suffering symptoms of BV for more than 6 months. It was making me so self conscious, I started avoiding sex and constantly has to wear panty liners because of the discharge. I finally went to the GP about it two days ago and he prescribed me Metronidazole. So far the discharge seems to have stopped and it's the first day in what feel like forever I have been able to not wear a pantyliner, odour seems to have gone already as well. It's not until this has started to clear up that I have realised how much its was dragging me down!

November 16, 2013 4:02 PM

Review by stranger321 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: when i found out i had bv, my doctor prescribed me with metrodinazole. my doctor told me to take all 4 pills at once with food and water. on the second day the odor was gone. then the discharge was slowly going away. i was looking up the side effects of metrodinazole. i did have a metallic taste whenever i ate or drank something and i felt kinda dizzy at times. but i must say, it is all worth it to have a healthy body again.

November 12, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by anon17:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I'm taking Flagyl for what I guess is a bacterial infection but I've been taking it for a few days possibly even a week and I cant really tell a difference, all I know is that I have an inflamed colon and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in December, I'm taking 500mg three times a day for 14 days and sometimes I do miss a dose every now and again, could this be why I haven't noticed much change?? and I haven't experienced any side effects aside from feeling a little tired because i always take it after a meal, the only thing i have to complain about it is that its uncoated so it tastes pretty bad but if you just take a mouthful of drink first then drop the pill in it really helps with the taste. btw im only 17 years old

November 4, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: The medicine really works, which is great!!!! If you take it with a glass of milk, you wont even taste it.

October 28, 2013 12:03 PM

Review by Amarige (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diverticulitis: The only way to take this medication is with apple sauce. I put one 500mg pill on a tablespoon of apple sauce, swallow it and immediately follow with additional applesauce. There is no after taste of the pill and the applesauce kills the smell as well. This is the only way i can can take it. Try it, it really works

October 26, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by Emj88:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis after having cold coagulation following an abnormal smear. I had a bad odour and swelling of the abdomen. My doctor prescribed me metronidazole 400mg twice a day as well as co amoxiclav 500/125mg three times a day. I found after taking the first few doses I felt quite drowsy and tired and I expected this as metronidazole is such a strong antibiotic, I felt a loss of appetite but carried on eating as normal and taking the tablets whilst eating.Once I was on the 2nd day I started to feel quite nauseous but soon found this to be if I allowed myself to get hungry so defo take this tablet with food! The odour was gone by day 3 and so did the side effects! A wonder drug! :-)

October 22, 2013 12:16 PM

Review by Momto4 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: I took this along with Cipro. After 3 days on a 10 day treatment, I was feeling much better. I made the decision to discontinue both. I had horrible diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, nasty taste in my mouth, no appetite, zero energy & sleepiness. I would not take this combo again for anything. Lost 5 lbs while taking it due to inability to eat or drink much.

October 22, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: The taste of this drug is so terrible that I would gag and the pill would get caught in my throat. Then I would gag some more and throw it all up. I finally asked my doctor if it would hurt if I coated it with something and he said it shouldn't. So tonight I melted a couple pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate in a little saucer and rolled each pill in it to coat. One or two mins in the frezzer on a plate and bam! Not a problem tossing it back and swallowing these suckers now.

October 21, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Marba (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Today is my second day with metronidazole 500 mg and I have to take it 3 times a day for 5 days and I feel great . The only problem I have is that I can't go to sleep and every juice I take it taste metal to me . Every time I take the pill my heart rate goes from 80 to a 100 in like minutes and the pill taste like metal . But I love it .. I feel so much better now, than I was before . I mean I still have some things but it's getting there ..

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by tired of the odor!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am a very clean person. And to have dealt with this problem for about a year has made me tired! Really active with boyfriend and I couldn't explain why I had this persistent foul odor... cause I didn't know. Went to the dr. And the test came back positive for bacterial vaginitis! Prescribed metronidazole 2X@7days. Took the first pill last night at 945pm and the second this morning at 945am. Decided to read about some experiences this morning and was relieved that most felt better by pill #3 or #4. Before the dr. Visit I was digusted by my odor!!!! I didn't even want to use a public restroom and have someone come in right behind me. The medicine is nasty but I don't care!! I am just ready to be able to embrace my femininty!!!!!

October 19, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by SheenaB (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This medication DOES work, I will give it that-however, the side effects are driving me insane. It makes me feel so wired, I have been taking it for 3 days now and have not slept more than 8 hours total. I am so tired all I want to do is sleep. Doctor said this is the only medication that will work for what I have so I guess I have to get through it for 4 more days!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by eclecticAlexis:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Bacterial Vaginits was single handedly the worst health experience I have ever had. I don't know what it is but boom you have vaginal odor and you just can't even look in the mirror. My Dr. prescribed me metronidazole twice a day for seven days. The nurse warned me that it tasted awful but I didn't care just wanted to feel better. Within 24 hours of my first dose my odor and discharge was gone. All the reviews are right, it tastes awful but if you can drop the pill in the back of your throat and not let it touch your tongue, then drink a lot of water, you won't even taste it. Eat before you take it. Time your doses with meals and flush your fluids and you should be able to avoid the metallic taste like I did. The medication works!

October 7, 2013 6:16 PM

Review by Josh888:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Don't drink alcohol while on this. I had 1 light beer (approx 0.9 standard drinks) and felt completely ill. Also ironic that you should take this pill after eating, though with acute diverticulitis you shouldn't eat at all. I found drinks like Up & Go (breakfast drink) were a good option. Medication does work but tastes horrible.

October 6, 2013 11:16 PM

Review by N'diya:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I used the meds for 5 days, and although it cleared up my bacterial vaginitis; on day 3 of the meds I developed a yeast infection.

October 6, 2013 1:54 AM

Review by Crys280183:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've had bacterial vaginitis for years on and off. I really have never taken any serious medication because I prefer to do things naturally. I can say that candy triggers my odor a lot but I've tried to cut back and the odor still exists. I finally got tired of the odor and over excessive discharge and was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg by my Dr. The first day no change, the second day no smell. I was so excited I had to tell people. I was so in bondage by the bacterial vaginitis. I haven't had any of the symptoms listed! I was fearful at first because I always feel like pills are going to make my heart race but it was fine. No headache, no drowsiness. I ate a meal with every dose and drank plenty water. This is my third day and I am supposed to take medicines for 7 days. It works.

October 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Review by Wisey1981:

For Dental Abscess: Was given 3 x 400mg daily for 5 days, after I had 4 teeth extracted under sedation. It made me feel very unwell. So tired, headaches, dizzy, no energy, a brain fog too. No tooth or gum infection though ! Stopped taking it 24 hours ago, hoping to feel better soon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was prescribed metronidazole to take two times a day for seven days. I must say after the second day, the discharge and odor I had been experiencing for months went away. I finished the course of my medicine today so hopefully after my cycle finishes, my issues would have gone away. If you are experiencing side effects, just remember to take your doses with a regular meal. That works wonders. I have experienced ZERO of the side effects that were listed on label. Hope this review helps someone one.

September 25, 2013 8:17 AM

Review by jillandjack:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am taking this medicine right now and it has already began to work 3 days In. But I have been having severe headaches for the past 2 days and I'm always sleepy. Otherwise I love the medicine.

September 23, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Amazing, it completely got rid of the odor and discharge. The pill is the worst tasting pill I'll ever had in my life but it works. I have two more days of taking it but I already notice a difference.

September 17, 2013 5:44 AM

Review by Anonymous NY (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Giardiasis: I took Flagyl and Cipro for giardia and salmonella diagnosis. Both taken for one week. The Flagyl has a terrible taste and you have to drink something besides water while you are taking it because everything tastes metallic. It works to eradicate the infection but I was very happy when the seven days of treatment was over. I also experienced lack of appetite however you must eat something when you take Flagyl or it will upset your stomach. Other side effects experienced: bloating, burping, hiccups, terrible taste in my mouth all the time, lack of energy. But the need for the medication outweighs the side effects and it took care of the infection.

September 15, 2013 11:25 AM

Review by Gbwi (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This is the 2nd time taking this medication. 1st time was for bacterial vvagnitis, I got really sick. Thrush in mouth, metal taste, headache, backache. I had to quit after 5 days. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and prescribed it again. I almost cried and begged the doctor for a different pill. Which I was told this is the only medication. However this time I found a way to not make me sick. I coat the pill with honey and take it. This time I have had no sides effects other than the beginning stages of oral thrush which the doctor prescribed liquid nystatin for just in case. I also take a probiotic.

September 14, 2013 10:06 PM