User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 267 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by jillandjack:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am taking this medicine right now and it has already began to work 3 days In. But I have been having severe headaches for the past 2 days and I'm always sleepy. Otherwise I love the medicine.

September 23, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Amazing, it completely got rid of the odor and discharge. The pill is the worst tasting pill I'll ever had in my life but it works. I have two more days of taking it but I already notice a difference.

September 17, 2013 5:44 AM

Review by Anonymous NY (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Giardiasis: I took Flagyl and Cipro for giardia and salmonella diagnosis. Both taken for one week. The Flagyl has a terrible taste and you have to drink something besides water while you are taking it because everything tastes metallic. It works to eradicate the infection but I was very happy when the seven days of treatment was over. I also experienced lack of appetite however you must eat something when you take Flagyl or it will upset your stomach. Other side effects experienced: bloating, burping, hiccups, terrible taste in my mouth all the time, lack of energy. But the need for the medication outweighs the side effects and it took care of the infection.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2013 11:25 AM

Review by Gbwi (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This is the 2nd time taking this medication. 1st time was for bacterial vvagnitis, I got really sick. Thrush in mouth, metal taste, headache, backache. I had to quit after 5 days. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and prescribed it again. I almost cried and begged the doctor for a different pill. Which I was told this is the only medication. However this time I found a way to not make me sick. I coat the pill with honey and take it. This time I have had no sides effects other than the beginning stages of oral thrush which the doctor prescribed liquid nystatin for just in case. I also take a probiotic.

September 14, 2013 10:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 3 of 7, 3x a day. Have taken every pill straight after a meal, & get a mouthful of water before putting pill in mouth - no taste at all other than the 1st time when it wasn't even that bad anyway, just tasted like when you accidentally leave a paracetamol in your mouth too long! As for side effects, I've had a headache pretty much every day but nothing bad that paracetamol won't help and very slight continuous stomach ache (nothing crippling!). No diarrhea or vomiting here, and infection slowly subsiding. I definitely recommend, the side effects for me simply aren't bad enough to stop you taking it at the expense of not treating your bacterial vaginitis.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2013 11:35 PM

Review by charlyd:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Pneumonia: The medication is a very good antibiotic & it really did help my situation.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 7:06 PM

Review by Scott1699:

For Diverticulitis: Medication worked great. Was hospitalized for diverticulitis for 8 days about a year and a half ago. Had second flare up. Been on medicine for three days and feeling much better. Only side effect is bad taste in my mouth.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 11:11 AM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm not finished with the pills yet but I feel a difference already and I no longer smell my odor. And I have to say the pill tastes horrible and I've had severe diarrhea and headaches. Other than that I think the pill is great.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 9:42 PM

Review by .............:

For Bacterial Infection: Within a couple days of taking Metronidazale the infection cleared up, in that aspect I feel 100% better! But the symptoms of the antibiotics are terrible.. my entire body aches, I feel exhausted, my toes and fingers are tingling, I have no appetite I have to force myself to eat something in order to take the medicine, bad diarrhea. I have a couple more days of this and I can't wait to be done!

September 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by Haley_0808:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 4 and all of my symptoms from my infection have subsided but I have been experiencing some few mild side effects from the medicine. It seems to dehydrate me as every morning I wake up feeling weak and my urine is orange/almost brown which is normally not common, I drink about 2 32oz bottles of water daily. Also since I have been taking my doses during breakfast/dinner it has been making me restless and keeping me up a while longer at night. Other than that, the only real complaint I have is the horrible taste of the pill. I have tried putting the pill in a chunk of jello, taking it with orange juice, and each time I take it I still give a small taste of the pill and that alone makes me want to throw it right back up.

August 24, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by steph123456:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: So the infection cleared up in a matter of two days, but I've been dizzy, lightheaded, short of breathe, coughing (I smoke every now and then, and I've been feeling it), weird appetite. If I don't drink enough water before I sleep, I wake up feeling almost hungover. Essentially, I feel weak and tired & the pill tastes awful. Thankfully today's the last day.

August 22, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by Nat x:

For Bacterial Infection: Definitely works at treating the problem. I agree if not swallowed quickly horrible taste. I suffered migraines through my 5 day course (I'm on day 4) and my body felt crappy but most of all I felt shattered even after a good nights sleep. I'm glad I'm on my last day tomorrow.

August 11, 2013 1:50 PM

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: I have been taking Flagyl and Cipro for Diverticulitis and it seems to be helping. After my stay in the hospital where the doctor put me on a food rest for several days, including IV antibiotics he prescribed these two meds. There are some issues I have had taking them such as low energy level, limited concentration when getting tired, but most of all nausea. I recommend if you are going to be taking either or both of these meds always take with plenty of food (meal time not just a snack), don't plan on doing too much (you won't have the energy), and ask your Doctor for a as needed prescription of a nausea medicine just in case you need it. I have needed something for nausea at least once daily since on the medicine.

August 11, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Darth V (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: Very effective in sorting out my stomach infection, but bad headaches and it left my tongue with the most intolerable taste as if my saliva itself was toxic.

August 8, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by ExplainitAll (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been prescribed 500 mg -the headaches are so persistent. This is day 3 of 7 and symptoms are pretty much gone but the after taste of the medicine is HORRID. So I take a lemon and bite it right before & right after the pill it DEFINITELY works if anyone is as grossed out by that taste, as I am.

July 28, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by ashleyelizabeth8:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I really don't understand all the negative reviews for this medicine. I've been on it for three solid days now and have had absolutely no issues. I'm taking 500 mg, one pill twice a day. I've been taking it after lunch and dinner and haven't had any issues with diarrhea, nausea, or dizziness. As for people complaining about the taste of the pill, how are you even able to know what it tastes like? It should be in your mouth for less than a second, just swallow it down with a glass of water or some orange juice.

July 24, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by NextStep2013 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: So far I have taken 9 Metro 500mg pills. I'm very thankful that I have not experienced any bad side effects and I have anxiety (not medicated). Only thing I have noticed is the following: 1. more alertness which can keep you up a little more. 2. I felt hungrier, but not to where I eat everything just a little more appetite. 3. Some what of a dry mouth, but only a little. 4. I have noticed the slight burning and itchiness, discharge, smell has gone for the most part. Yes I had these symptoms with bacterial vaginitis. What I have done to take this medicine is drink cranberry juice (find the closest to the real thing) and GoGurts. I read that Cranberry juice flushes you out and Yogurt will help with placing good bacteria back and hope to not get yeast infection.

July 22, 2013 10:44 PM

Review by corinnemz:

For Bacterial Infection: First 3 days Horrible! Then symptoms subsided and I got smart about taking it. You have to wrap the pill in a little piece of strawberry and swallow it. It works! There's no other way to tolerate the disgusting taste!

July 21, 2013 1:51 PM

Review by highbaldy1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: My doctor prescribed both Flagyl and Cipro, apparently both work well at killing infections related to diverticulitis. Warning: this is the most repulsive tasting pill ever.

July 16, 2013 7:45 PM

Review by angie 12 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: This medicine had bad side effects, mine was headache and stomach pains. I took it for 7 days twice a day it cleared everything up. Today is my last day I'm so happy.

July 9, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by Anne87:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: My infection cleared up by the second day I was using it, but I was given a prescription for 500mg twice a day for seven days. The side effects have been bad. I have a headache, I vomit everything I swallow, and can barely get out of bed.

June 22, 2013 12:29 PM

Review by Natr:

For Bacterial Infection: I'm on 400mg 3 times a day and doxycycline 100mg once a day for a week. So far I've had some nausea, headaches and keep getting waves of tiredness. Not good as I work night shift and I'm tired enough as it is. However it is doing the trick as my infection is clearing up. Just recommend when you take them put the water in your mouth first then the pill and swallow it quickly as it tastes bad.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 11:09 PM

Review by Happygirl_1991:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was a suffering Bacterial Vaginitis victim for almost a year. I had swabs and tests done by my doctor and on every result I got a negative reading! Wasn't until a 5 days ago that my doctor prescribed me metronidazole and honestly it's changed my life already! After 2 days of taking 2 tablets a day my BV had vanished! I'm so happy with how this medication has helped. The taste is awful so I make sure I take it while I'm eating a meal and I've suffered with no side effects. Can't recommend it enough.

June 14, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by INeedSleep21 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Well, I've been taking it for a few days now and I am starting to experience one of the side effects. I can't sleep! In the last 24 hours I've had maybe 2 hours of sleep. It is helping with the main problem, so I'm going to keep taking it, but it would be nice to sleep.

June 11, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by ans91 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I mentioned my concerns about an odor to my doctor, and she believed I had Bacterial Vaginitis. Today she prescribed me Flagyl 500mg that I am to take twice a day for 7 days. Being a complete worry wart, I decided to read reviews and side effects of the medicine. I noticed a bunch of people complained about the taste, so I decided to tilt my head back and drop the pill onto my throat, rather than letting it touch my tongue, and chugged water quickly to avoid tasting it. That worked wonders, because I don't taste a thing! I also took it with a big meal. I'm hoping I don't experience any side effects! I experience an anaphylactic reaction to some antibiotics, but she said I should not have an issue with Flagyl.

June 5, 2013 8:39 PM