User Reviews for Toprol-XL

Learn more about Toprol-XL.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 2 reviews 12 medications

High Blood Pressure 24 reviews 262 medications

7.3
Summary of Toprol-XL reviews 36 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Toprol-XL

For High Blood Pressure "Good product few minor side effects."

Nonoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2016

For High Blood Pressure "Lowered blood pressure to acceptable level but a major side effect developed with extreme fatigue and muscle pain. These were painful enough that ability to work and perform normal life tasks were difficult."

bigcarmine (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I am a 70 yr old RN. I started having episodes of near-fainting around 16 yr.old (actually fainted twice). I would go to the nurse & ask to lay down-which helped, but she thought I was faking. Next episode, 25 yr old - saw cardiologist, negative EKG, no treatment. Next 2 episodes, 30 yr old, more severe, ER - negative tests. Next 5 episodes, 40-50 yr old increasing severity, ER. During the last ER visit, I heard about a new type of Doc, an electrocardiophysiologist. I wore a monitor for 6 weeks before it finally "caught" the SVT. I started on Toprol 50 mg per day. But then, I had an episode of severe low BP (80/40) - back to the ER. My new Doc said to split dose, take 25 mg AM & PM. No episodes past 20 years. I'm a happy camper !"

DianeV1945 (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I've been on Toprol XL for 15 years ..started on 50 mg once per day then dropped to 25 mg ..experienced symptoms again then was changed to bystolic but only for a short time ..the doc said toprol was more for my problem so changed back and now on toprol xl 50 mg per day again ..I tried the generic 4 times and always have to take the brand .The genetic didn't work for me after the fourth day of trying it...but now I have severe dizziness floating and faint feeling spells that are worser with my period and noticed my blood pressure getting very low when resting 87/54 or 85/58...so I'm debating on going back to 25 mg per day ..anyone had this experience with Toprol xl?"

mbrannen590gmail.com September 23, 2015

For High Blood Pressure "A health care professional and a person who takes this medication ."

Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

For High Blood Pressure "Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again."

kaelem January 20, 2014

For High Blood Pressure "I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild)."

JJ Seaton (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure "I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake."

rough & ready (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2012

For High Blood Pressure "Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works."

Anonymous March 24, 2012

For High Blood Pressure "I started taking this medicine in 2006. It works to take the pressure off my heart but it has caused me arthritis in my knees, hands and feet. Now I am in pain most of the time. My hands have developed arthritis in both thumbs, my feet have it in my toes. I tried another Astra Zeneca product called Atacand and it works better but is so expensive I can't afford to buy it."

Anonymous October 23, 2011

For Atrial Fibrillation "I suffer from Atrial fibrillation and have an implanted pacer. I am experiencing heavy sweating even in cool weather. I do not sleep, and find myself being more forgetful (don't know if the latter is from the medicines or not). I also feel unwell and tired mostly all the time and have to fight through it every day. I take 150mg daily."

the lone fisher July 10, 2011

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "Was diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia two weeks ago and was put on Toprol 25 mg a day. It didn't work with bringing down my pulse so doctor increased to 50 mg a day until I see my heart doctor. I have to say that I do not like the side effects. Heavy feeling in my chest, tired all the time, headaches, etc. Hope my doctor recommends ablation because I don't think I can take this medicine much longer."

kimleydbeme May 23, 2011

For Mitral Valve Prolapse "Just put 2 and 2 together after reading side effects and realize that the Toprol XL was causing my rapid weight gain and severely swollen ankles. It has worked great and keeps the Mitral Valve Prolapse symptoms under control but the weight and swelling issues have to be stopped. I guess I have to look for another medicine."

Anonymous May 3, 2011

For High Blood Pressure "Before I started Toprol XL I had migraines everyday for a year I had no idea that I had high blood pressure and it wasn't really high it was borderline. Anyway I started taking the Toprol and my migraines decreased and the palpitations seemed to stop after about a month. I ended up only taking Toprol for 8 months and I had no more migraines or palpitations and of course my blood pressure was under control. It stayed that way for about a year and a half until I became pregnant and that seemed to trigger it all back. But I did the same thing and am fine now and I never experienced any side effects."

Anonymous January 13, 2011

For High Blood Pressure "Took it 2 times and it gave me chest pain, nervousness and could not sleep. Stopped taking it."

Anonymous September 9, 2010

For High Blood Pressure "Male, 55, been on Inderal for close to 30 years. Switched to Toprol. Had to return to Inderal because of increased arrhythmias."

gzlnq9 August 27, 2010

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I love this medicine! It has quite literally saved my life, and has made my life much more livable. Whenever I would do anything physical, my heart would beat so fast that I would frequently faint. I went to my cardiologist, and she gave me a holter monitor. She saw what I was talking about and gave me 50mg of Toprol-XL everyday. That was over 3 years ago, still on the same dosage, and it is wonderful. For the first few months, I was a little over tired, but that side effect quickly went away."

Anonymous July 23, 2010

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure "I was prescribed 25mg a day about 2 1/12 years ago during a routine visit when I had a blood pressure of 150/90. Since that time my BP has stayed around 115-125/60 something/low 70s. My resting heart rate varies from high 40s to low 60s/min. I also started swimming laps which is off and on again. The medicine seems to work well for me without any noticeable side effects at all. Both my mom and dad had high blood pressure. I'm now in my mid fifties so I guess it's my turn now."

anonymous777 June 15, 2010

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I am 14 years old. I once had a moderate heart attack, and afterwards, my heart was constantly hammering away. Just sitting sown my pulse was 180 bpm. This led to enlarged heart and high blood pressure. I've been on this medicine for 3 years now, and it has probably saved my life from another heart attack. I recommend it to anyone with my problem."

Anonymous June 14, 2010

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I was put on 25mg once daily a little over a year ago and it seemed to work wonders for a good while. Due to some other issues though we increased my dose to 100mg a day and I am pretty much tired most of the day, but at least I can walk up stairs and not pass out or my heart doesn't feel like it will leap out of my chest... kind of the price to pay not to deal with the SVT. Hoping the tiredness wears off soon."

texman87 January 14, 2010

For High Blood Pressure "I have not liked this medication at all. I was taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide, which worked great to reduce and maintain my blood pressure, but a side effect was frequent urination, and as a teacher, that was a slight nuisance. However, with generic Toprol, I have not gotten a decent night's sleep, and my blood pressure went higher (although I halved the 25 mg pill due to the side effects). I also feel anxious and unsettled. "

Anonymous January 2, 2010

For High Blood Pressure "I have had many problems (one being that it took me a lot of time for my body to get used to it) with this product. The worst side effect has been the onset of diabetes which this product is responsible for. The question I had of my cardiologist is why in the world would he prescribe it to a high risk candidate like me -- I am Hispanic, in my 50s when it was prescribed. I informed my PA of this after my last crisis and she is looking into prescribing a different product (one given at the hospital) but this after a few years on Toprol. I figure that without the change from this medicine I don't stand a chance of reversing my diabetic condition."

Anonymous November 18, 2009

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I am a 28 year old healthy female. I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia just recently and was put on Toprol XL 25 mg. I have only had a few minor attacks since being on this medication however I have side effects - Constantly exhausted and don't feel like myself and I have a heavy feeling in my chest which is extremely uncomfortable. Side effects have not subsided much since I started the medication 5 weeks ago. The side effects are bad enough to where I'm tempted to stop taking it and take my chances with the SVT! My doctor is recommending ablation procedure in hopes of that solving my problem and get me off the medication."

Anonymous September 9, 2009

For Mitral Valve Prolapse "I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse syndrome my senior year in college, resulting in a medical discharge from the Army rather than commissioning as an officer. I was blacking out, fainting, and my activity tolerance dropped dramatically as the condition progressed. Metoprolol was prescribed for me to help regulate my heart rate - it worked great for that. I didn't feel the palpitations and heart racing with minimal activity. Downside was that my blood pressure was already low - so being on this medication made my blood pressure drop even lower. Doctors eventually put me on MIDODRINE which constricts my blood vessels causing an increase in blood pressure. The combination works great!"

KelliJMcDonald August 7, 2009

For Supraventricular Tachycardia "I was diagnosed 6 years ago with Supraventricular tachycardia. I am a 49 year old female. Since that time I have been taking a 50 mg tablet of Toprol every other day. I have had no other attacks since then and I used to get them about 5x a year. Once in a while I can feel one coming on - my heart starts beating very fast - but apparently the Toprol is doing it's job because I have not had any attacks. I am so thankful for this medication as I suffered for many years thinking I was going to die, my heart would be so hard and fast. One time I could actually see my chest moving and it went on for about 20 minutes."

trish1 July 31, 2009