User Reviews for Toprol-XL

Learn more about Toprol-XL.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 0 reviews 15 medications

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 130 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Toprol-XL reviews 31 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Toprol-XL

Review by kaelem: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again.

January 20, 2014 3:08 PM
Review by JJ Seaton (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild).

July 24, 2013 1:16 PM
Review by rough & ready (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake.

September 25, 2012 3:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works.

March 24, 2012 8:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I started taking this medicine in 2006. It works to take the pressure off my heart but it has caused me arthritis in my knees, hands and feet. Now I am in pain most of the time. My hands have developed arthritis in both thumbs, my feet have it in my toes. I tried another Astra Zeneca product called Atacand and it works better but is so expensive I can't afford to buy it.

October 23, 2011 9:11 PM
Review by the lone fisher:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Atrial Fibrillation: I suffer from Atrial fibrillation and have an implanted pacer. I am experiencing heavy sweating even in cool weather. I do not sleep, and find myself being more forgetful (don't know if the latter is from the medicines or not). I also feel unwell and tired mostly all the time and have to fight through it every day. I take 150mg daily.

July 10, 2011 11:39 PM
Review by kimleydbeme: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: Was diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia two weeks ago and was put on Toprol 25 mg a day. It didn't work with bringing down my pulse so doctor increased to 50 mg a day until I see my heart doctor. I have to say that I do not like the side effects. Heavy feeling in my chest, tired all the time, headaches, etc. Hope my doctor recommends ablation because I don't think I can take this medicine much longer.

May 23, 2011 10:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: Just put 2 and 2 together after reading side effects and realize that the Toprol XL was causing my rapid weight gain and severely swollen ankles. It has worked great and keeps the Mitral Valve Prolapse symptoms under control but the weight and swelling issues have to be stopped. I guess I have to look for another medicine.

May 3, 2011 12:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Before I started Toprol XL I had migraines everyday for a year I had no idea that I had high blood pressure and it wasn't really high it was borderline. Anyway I started taking the Toprol and my migraines decreased and the palpitations seemed to stop after about a month. I ended up only taking Toprol for 8 months and I had no more migraines or palpitations and of course my blood pressure was under control. It stayed that way for about a year and a half until I became pregnant and that seemed to trigger it all back. But I did the same thing and am fine now and I never experienced any side effects.

January 13, 2011 2:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Took it 2 times and it gave me chest pain, nervousness and could not sleep. Stopped taking it.

September 9, 2010 4:29 PM
Review by gzlnq9: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Male, 55, been on Inderal for close to 30 years. Switched to Toprol. Had to return to Inderal because of increased arrhythmias.

August 27, 2010 12:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I love this medicine! It has quite literally saved my life, and has made my life much more livable. Whenever I would do anything physical, my heart would beat so fast that I would frequently faint. I went to my cardiologist, and she gave me a holter monitor. She saw what I was talking about and gave me 50mg of Toprol-XL everyday. That was over 3 years ago, still on the same dosage, and it is wonderful. For the first few months, I was a little over tired, but that side effect quickly went away.

July 23, 2010 3:20 PM
Review by anonymous777:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I was prescribed 25mg a day about 2 1/12 years ago during a routine visit when I had a blood pressure of 150/90. Since that time my BP has stayed around 115-125/60 something/low 70s. My resting heart rate varies from high 40s to low 60s/min. I also started swimming laps which is off and on again. The medicine seems to work well for me without any noticeable side effects at all. Both my mom and dad had high blood pressure. I'm now in my mid fifties so I guess it's my turn now.

June 15, 2010 9:10 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I am 14 years old. I once had a moderate heart attack, and afterwards, my heart was constantly hammering away. Just sitting sown my pulse was 180 bpm. This led to enlarged heart and high blood pressure. I've been on this medicine for 3 years now, and it has probably saved my life from another heart attack. I recommend it to anyone with my problem.

June 14, 2010 11:08 PM
Review by texman87: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I was put on 25mg once daily a little over a year ago and it seemed to work wonders for a good while. Due to some other issues though we increased my dose to 100mg a day and I am pretty much tired most of the day, but at least I can walk up stairs and not pass out or my heart doesn't feel like it will leap out of my chest... kind of the price to pay not to deal with the SVT. Hoping the tiredness wears off soon.

January 14, 2010 2:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I have not liked this medication at all. I was taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide, which worked great to reduce and maintain my blood pressure, but a side effect was frequent urination, and as a teacher, that was a slight nuisance. However, with generic Toprol, I have not gotten a decent night's sleep, and my blood pressure went higher (although I halved the 25 mg pill due to the side effects). I also feel anxious and unsettled.

January 2, 2010 12:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I have had many problems (one being that it took me a lot of time for my body to get used to it) with this product. The worst side effect has been the onset of diabetes which this product is responsible for. The question I had of my cardiologist is why in the world would he prescribe it to a high risk candidate like me -- I am Hispanic, in my 50s when it was prescribed. I informed my PA of this after my last crisis and she is looking into prescribing a different product (one given at the hospital) but this after a few years on Toprol. I figure that without the change from this medicine I don't stand a chance of reversing my diabetic condition.

November 18, 2009 7:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I am a 28 year old healthy female. I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia just recently and was put on Toprol XL 25 mg. I have only had a few minor attacks since being on this medication however I have side effects - Constantly exhausted and don't feel like myself and I have a heavy feeling in my chest which is extremely uncomfortable. Side effects have not subsided much since I started the medication 5 weeks ago. The side effects are bad enough to where I'm tempted to stop taking it and take my chances with the SVT! My doctor is recommending ablation procedure in hopes of that solving my problem and get me off the medication.

September 9, 2009 10:40 AM
Review by KelliJMcDonald: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse syndrome my senior year in college, resulting in a medical discharge from the Army rather than commissioning as an officer. I was blacking out, fainting, and my activity tolerance dropped dramatically as the condition progressed. Metoprolol was prescribed for me to help regulate my heart rate - it worked great for that. I didn't feel the palpitations and heart racing with minimal activity. Downside was that my blood pressure was already low - so being on this medication made my blood pressure drop even lower. Doctors eventually put me on MIDODRINE which constricts my blood vessels causing an increase in blood pressure. The combination works great!

August 7, 2009 11:07 AM
Review by trish1: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I was diagnosed 6 years ago with Supraventricular tachycardia. I am a 49 year old female. Since that time I have been taking a 50 mg tablet of Toprol every other day. I have had no other attacks since then and I used to get them about 5x a year. Once in a while I can feel one coming on - my heart starts beating very fast - but apparently the Toprol is doing it's job because I have not had any attacks. I am so thankful for this medication as I suffered for many years thinking I was going to die, my heart would be so hard and fast. One time I could actually see my chest moving and it went on for about 20 minutes.

July 31, 2009 3:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Atrial Fibrillation: I HAVE CHRONIC ATRIAL FIBRILLATION (CONVERTED ONCE), WHICH ONLY LASTED 1O DAYS. NOW TAKE 100MG A DAY. RATE 70-85 BPM. Side effects-some drowsiness and fatigue.

July 20, 2009 4:13 PM
Review by bbje500: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Atrial Fibrillation: I have atrial fibrillation - beats to 180 very irregular beat, converted in 45 minutes in ER. Started me on Toprol 25 once a day. Heart rate now around 60-70, blood PSI 120/70 side effects so far include problems sleeping, restlessness also drowsy on and off. Only been taking this drug for a week now, perhaps the side effects will reduce in time.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 20, 2009 9:59 AM
Review by nightowl812:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: 16 year old daughter rushed to local ER complaining of supraventricular tachycardia with heart rate of 283 - three attempts to cardiovert failed. Lopressor was the only drug that would get heart rate down to a manageable rate. Currently taking Toprol LX for three days now with no adverse effects. Heart rate maintaining at 90-100 per minute. Daughter is experiencing moderate tiredness.

April 20, 2009 1:31 AM
Review by Rik T: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Metoprolol 25mg once a day for 13 days. It has lowered my heart rate by about 30 beats a minute but I am always tired, get chest pain, headache and numbness. Little to no benefit in lowering my blood pressure (140/95's).

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2009 8:12 PM
Review by POmom: User Rating:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): It's hard for a patient to 'rate' a medication. I have an excellent cardiologist whose job that is. However, I know that Toprol comes with a tendency toward depression for many people, and for me, pre-existing depression has been mildly exacerbated. I also take amlodipine since May of last year, and this is a drug also known to cause/increase depression. I take several other anti-hypertensive drugs therefore it is not easy to tell which is causing what. Welcome to life post-cardiac bypass surgery--a life diminished, trust me, but at least--LIFE.

February 8, 2009 5:17 PM