User Reviews for Reglan

Learn more about Reglan.

Reglan review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Gastroparesis.

Reviews for Reglan to treat Gastroparesis

Review by type 1 diabetic male:

Went to the hospital for uncontrollable nausea/vomiting and am Type 1 diabetic. By IV it made me restless, agitated, and my face felt slightly swollen but it along with some Zofran in-between stopped the vomiting. They diagnosed me with gastroparesis so now I take it 30 mins before I eat and once before bed.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by MRSDJMCW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is a follow up to my earlier unfavorable review. I experienced several negative effects due to a excess of serotonin, caused by my concommittant use of several anti-depressants. My Dr. adjusted my dosage to only 1/2 of a 5mg. tablet taken a few hours after my evening dinner, and did not eat again until breakfast the next morning. This reduced my negative effects to almost zero, while still maintaining the medicines efficacy. I am able to continue this dose EVERY OTHER evening with VERY favorable results! There has been a considerable reduction in the severe bloating, nausea, and inability to eat even a small meal. I am thrilled to finally feel normal again! I'm so happy I stuck with it, a simple dose adjustment has changed my life!!

April 9, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by gacsmom1:

Reglan has been a miracle for me. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and tried to control the symptoms through diet because I was worried about the potential side effects, but the nausea was debilitating. My doctor finally didn't give me a choice, he said I needed to be on Reglan as I was losing too much weight because I couldn't eat. I truly feel like a new person. Although I still have "spells" where the nausea comes back, it's not nearly as severe and is controllable with Zofran. I would recommend Reglan to anyone with gastroparesis!

June 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by Kimbot (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I found this medication extremely helpful when I was first diagnosed. I had to change my eating habits dramatically, so when I messed up or when the nausea flared up Reglan was great. I did find, like many other patients, that the side effects (anxiety for me) got worse over time. After about a year I felt I had learned how to manage my diet and stopped taking Reglan entirely. Reglan was a great tool in the beginning to help me figure out what eating habits worked, but now I manage everything through diet. I think that is very possible for others with gastroparesis, too.

September 27, 2012 1:09 PM

Review by ks125:

I was on this medicine for about 2 weeks, and I had to quit taking it. My hands started shaking and I also developed a head and neck twitch. I also had a difficult time thinking, reacting and focusing. My vision was blurry and I often felt anxious. It didn't seem to help as much as it hurt. Now I have to wait to see if my ticks go away.

March 18, 2012 8:41 PM

For nearly three years, starting at age 18, I would get uncontrollable nausea and stomach pain for months at a time. I was told by four doctors that it was acid reflux and to learn to live with it. I was taking 40 mg of Nexium every day, but it got to a point where I never felt well anymore, I was constantly fatigued, I had no appetite, and I was becoming increasingly depressed. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis by my fifth doctor and she put me on Reglan. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt better than I had in years. I can't put into words how positively Reglan has changed my life. I've now been on it for a year and a half. I've never had any negative side effects nor has the effectiveness ever waned. Reglan is a blessing.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2012 10:34 PM

Review by amays74:

I have been taking Reglan 10mg doses for years. It has changed my life in a good way. It has controlled my gastroparesis completely. I was having to go to the E.R. for pain before I started Reglan. I take 4 a day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no side effects at all from this medicine except relief. I would recommend Reglan to anyone suffering from gastroparesis.

August 1, 2011 6:53 AM

After weeks of debating (and severe stomach pain/constipation/nausea caused by a mild case of gastroparesis), I finally decided to take Reglan. I was scared like the rest of you. But guess what? I'm still here and it's been about two weeks. It has helped me IMMENSELY. I'm pushing 29, so maybe I'm still in the "safe zone." I know there is a threat to older women, but if I had not taken Reglan, I'd still be the vegetable that I was, living off of noodles and potatoes. Thankfully, I have very close friends and family in the medical field and they assured me that the chances of the terrible side effects weren't as high as they may seem on the internet. It is a medicine prescribed daily and many people are pleased. (5mg 3x daily) Good luck!!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2011 7:58 AM

Review by loriann1:

This medicine is a blessing for me. I have gastric paresis and I also have Crohn's disease so I have had nausea. I have taken Reglan for a long time on and off and it is wonderful. I personally feel it gave me back my quality of life. If I feel sick or before I eat I take it and I do not get sick. I have had NO side effects. I just feel so much better. I feel normal again and I know other people who take this medicine and they feel better also. I usually take 3 - 5mg a day.. it depends .. sometimes I just take 1- 10mg a day.

June 26, 2010 8:51 PM

Review by jmiguel:

My doctor put me on 10 mg Reglan last week for suspected gastroparesis. I agree with others that the side effects definitely outweigh the potential benefits of this medicine. Within an hour of taking it, I become extremely drowsy/weak and wanting to go to sleep. I know that I would never be able to take this medicine before driving. Then last night, three hours after taking it, I began to hallucinate and was afraid to fall asleep. When I did fall asleep, I recall having weird dreams. So, I decided to stop taking Reglan.

June 14, 2010 1:14 PM

Side effects far outweigh any benefit from this medicine.

June 1, 2010 11:20 AM

Review by rfoehl71:

Side effects were not tolerated well.

April 28, 2010 3:41 PM

Review by annecoop:

I now have Tardive Dyskinesia, no cure, no treatment. Parkinsonian side effects don't always go away. Reglan was good for Gastroparesis but has side effects. Don't take for more than 6 weeks or three months. It also now MUST warn the dangers of continuous use.

February 11, 2010 8:39 PM

Review by Jessie_Lou:

Didn't help with nausea, greatly intensified anger and depression.

April 10, 2009 3:40 PM

Very good detailed information about this condition. I take Reglan for bloating and early feeling of fullness and it works. I also have diabetes so that contributes to my condition.

March 26, 2009 10:49 AM