User Reviews for Metoclopramide

Also known as: Maxolon, Metozolv ODT, Reglan

Learn more about Metoclopramide.

Metoclopramide Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Metoclopramide to treat Migraine

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Anytime you go into an ER with a migraine the doc will automatically try an avoid real meds and instead says we're gonna try reglan which has a sedative effect and then add Benadryl and knock you out, turn off the lights and close the door for Dark and quiet. Good thing for any kind of headache. About thirty minutes later the doctor rushes in flips on the light and says how's the headache? At thirty minutes of sleeping your just starting to hit REM. You're groggy from the sedative effects therefore not thinking clearly so you answer like um ok I guess. "Great lets get you outa here." On the way out as you're waking up you realize the pain is still there but too late. Reglan is great for the Doctors but does nothing for the patient."

Rwd681 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

"I'm 18, and had a lumbar puncture done on 12/29. I've had a severe migraine ever since, so on Tuesday children's hospital told my mom to take me to the ER. Once there, they gave me this and let me tell you, from someone who suffers from terrible panic attacks, this was genuinely one of the worst ones I've ever had. Ten minutes in I started feeling restless and starting moving and moving because I literally wanted to rip the IV out of my arm and run out. I got up and I started sobbing and I felt like I was going to die. I really wanted to just rip the IV out and I was terrified that I was going to. Mom had to call a nurse and they gave me Benadryl & that knocked me out, a day later though my severe migraine is back. Not worth it guys. Nope."

Sophia from the 1975 January 8, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Horrible side effects. I was suddenly filled with aggression and rage after taking it. I was so irritated that I had to tell the doctor to give me something to calm me down before I ripped out my IV. Not something you want to deal with during a migraine."

DavidAC December 21, 2015

"I was given the IV "migraine cocktail" also when in the ER for a severe migraine. The nurse told me the Benadryl could make my chest feel heavy and possibly anxious. Benadryl was pushed slowly via IV and I started feeling relaxed and sleepy. THEN came the Reglan! After the Reglan was administered my relaxed sleepy state reversed and I felt like I wanted to rip the IV out of my arm, I felt so hot like I was boiling from the inside out, I was so nauseous, my heart rate went wayyy up. I was in full panic mode feeling like I made a huge mistake!!! I told my husband to get the nurse and when he finally found him he did nothing for me except tell me to calm down! Ugh... Never again will I put myself through that. Reglan...NO THANKS!"

SaraJH December 17, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Lord! This was like a death experience for me. I am scarred for life. I have been feeling sick for about 4 days in which I acquired sore throat, earache, stiff neck, super swollen lymph nodes, fever and the worst headache ever. After initial test that ruled out negative for meningitis, mono and strep throat they decided to give me a cocktail of reglan and benadryl through my iv. Within seconds I felt a burning sensation as well as sleepy..so I thought I would be okay. Boy! Was I wrong. My heart was racing 150bpm I lost my voice was super jittery and felt like I was going to die. The nurse told me to relax she looked worried. I wanted to pull my IV off I told her get it off and she insisted that she will give me Toradol to help calm me. :("

Anonymous December 1, 2015

"I was given this medicine in the ER for a horrible headache 2 years ago. My heart rate instantly shot up to 150 and I couldn't sit still. I wanted to rip my IV out. They pumped me full of ativan to try and get me to calm down. My legs and toes started moving on their own and they kept me in the hospital for 3 days!!! I now am plagued with horrible panic attacks and my toes still move on their own. Never take this drug!"

Sick of side effects November 21, 2015

"I have had migraines since age 19, at that time etiology unknown, but at 34 I was in an auto accident and found to have moderately severe scoliosis, and in 2006 I required a L4-5 S1 spinal fusion. I can control most migraines with either oral rizatriptan or rescue injections of sumatriptan, but 12/2014 I had a bilateral mastectomy for cancer with clearn margins and no involved lymph nodes. The added stress this past year caused severe migraines not responsive to injections. After numerous ER visits my primary physician prescribed 5mg oral Reglan prn nausea with migraine, and I now have relief with one-half tablet and sumatriptan injection. Reglan is sedating, calming, and I have 80% success in migraine relief."

jenmilwaukee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I went to the ER also last month because I was having bad migraines they gave me reglan and benadryl in the IV right away I was paranoid jittery and tried pulling the IV out my arm it was the worst feeling ever and I was so ready to go home. The good thing is that it did take my migraine away for about a month now. I just started having another migraine yesterday and I went to the ER 11-13-15 and they gave me the benadryl and reglan in the form of a pill - no IV and I didn't get that feeling this time just went to sleep really fast. I think it was the medicine going start in the IV straight to my blood stream a little to fast that gave me the bad side effects."

Marielovely November 14, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to the ER and they injected me with this, I immediately began coughing, fell back onto the bed, and began shaking uncontrollably and could not speak. The nurse panicked and her eyes got teary, she then told me to fall alseep and I refused because I was so scared! At 24 years old I was not ready for this, I felt I was going to die. Took me an hour to stop the shaking and my headache was still there. Never again! I am now traumatized from that experience and am afraid to ever get injected before knowing what exactly the drug is and its effects. Stay away from it please."

CarolinaR90 November 13, 2015

"Got the cocktail in the ER shortly after I felt anxious & jittery, I just wanted to get IV out could not get comfortable got real tired. It wore off about 1 hour or so later but it was blah never again."

clayton4life (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I've had a headache for a little over a month followed with nausea. However yesterday there was some pressure with it so I went to the ER. At the ER I was told that I would receive a migraine cocktail, which was Benadryl, Reglan, and IV fluids, not knowing what to expect I accepted. As soon as I was given the medicine through my IV I immediately began to feel jittery. My legs started shaking, it felt like something was crawling on me, and then I got extremely sleepy. I kept falling asleep but every time I woke up I had some serious anxiety. I never want to experience that feeling again. And what do you know today my head is starting to hurt again."

NuJersey November 10, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Reglan, given in a small dose in her IV takes my 16 year old daughter's migraine away. She is a chronic sufferer and has been for many years. She has been hospitalized for migraines. In an hour she is back to normal but sleepy from Reoglan, Toridol and another anti-nausea med. I'm going to see if she can take Reglan at home in pill form to save a trip to the ER."

Mom of migraine suffer (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I was given this medicine through an IV while visiting the ER for a migraine. Reglan gave me the worst feeling that I've ever had. I had a major panic attack within minutes. I had weird thoughts and my body could not stop shaking, especially my legs. There was a pool of sweat under me. I felt trapped and thought I was going to die. I wanted to tear out the IV needle a leave. The panic only lasted 2 hours, but it felt like 2 days. I hope to never have that feeling again."

JCT 1972 October 22, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "This is not good I thought I was leaving this world I'm still experiencing side effect I took it yesterday through the IV and I got really paranoid it was the worst feeling it might not cause this feeling for some but I can related to anyone who has had a side effect from this med. If I have a headache next time I know what not to do when I go to the ER. I thought I was the only one but thanks to the internet we can share our experience. I would think they where using us as lab rats that med has weird side effects I'm still feeling it. I took it on 9/6/2015 and today I feel jittery & can't relax. I gotta move around a lot and I feel like taking off running its just the worst feeling."

Dree345 September 7, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I wouldn't even give this drug a 1. I came to the ER last night for severe head and neck pain and this is what they suggested giving me in an IV. Reglan and Benadryl. I had this once a year or so ago and had a terrible reaction and insisted I didn't want the IV. However I ended up letting them talk me into it and got it. Within 5 minutes of getting the IV, I felt anxious, trapped, paranoid, like I was going to die. I had to page the nurse like 3 times to come take th IV out. I just wanted to go home. I ended up pacing and walking 20 laps around the hospital with a nurse. They ended up talking me into allowing them to give me Ativan and more Benadryl to reverse the Reglan. I truly felt like I was going to die."

Shelby K August 22, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "The cocktail didn't do a thing. First Benadryl then Reglan. No help and it wasted precious hours that I was in pain. I've had migraines for 26 years and know what helps. I was in the ER for ~ 6 hours. Only when given Fentanyl did the pain level 27 go down to a ~4. I told them demerol and phernagan knocks it out, but the ER doctor didn't listen. (Why did you ask me then?) I was left with a dull headache for 1.5 days."

taylor506 August 11, 2015

"I get really bad migraines frequently and end up in the ER on most occasions. Every time I go they give me Benadryl and Reglan through an IV. I have to go through this every time I'm there for a migraine. There's only one medicine that helps me and its called Nubain. But for some reason they always have to try the Benadryl cocktail first. Then they try morphine. I never get any relief from these other drugs. I never suffered any bad side effects either because they don't phase me. Try Nubain if the Benadryl cocktail don't work. It gives instant relief.."

Dcombs (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

"I had a trip to the ER with a bad migraine along with nausea,that I had for 2 days . I was given what they call the migraine cocktail benadryl ,reglan and IV fluid. They gave me 50mg of benadryl IV push then hang the reglan along with NSS . It knocked me out almost instantly . It did give me temporary relief. But my migraine came back the next day."

jayson 81 June 9, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I was diagnosed with "Chronic Migraine Disease" 18 yrs. ago. I have tried too many medications to list. Almost all of which have not worked for me. About 9 yrs. ago during a trip to the emergency for a migraine, I had the worst nausea. I was given Reglan for the first time. Not only did it stop the nausea, it calmed my migraine down! I wasn't even given any Dilodid. I couldn't believe it! I was later perscribed Reglan along with Maxalt. This combo worked the best for me. However, my doctor quit using Maxalt. So, while searching for new meds. my doctor gave me a prescription of Reglan to at least help with the nausea. Not only did it help with that, but if caught early enough, it would stop my migraines. I love Reglan!"

Blarinerin (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "It helped with the migraine but I experienced terrible anxiety!"

Brittany S (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I don't have a history of migraine but I had sever headache for 3 days so I went to ER. After doing some scans they gave me Benadryl, toradol and Reglan by IV. As soon as Reglan was injected I had severe reaction to it within seconds and I couldn't move, I couldn't talk, I was literally paralyzed. I could hear people talking but I wasn't able to respond and my heart rate went to 150 bpm. It was the worse feeling ever. They had to give me an antidote to reverse the effects but it still took almost 3 hours for me to actually speak again. After that day I personally do not like Reglan and how dangerous the side effects can be."

MahaZ March 31, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Dr ordered me IV w Reglan and Benadryl last night at ER. After over 48 hrs of misery I immediately got relief. I don't understand people who are saying they felt like they were coming out of their skin- I passed out almost immediately (which was great because I have only been able to sleep about 3 hours over the 48 hour period before ER). Guess we are all different. I will say that I got a solid 8 hours of pain relief and finally sleep but now it's back :( We are having lots of winter storms here so maybe something to do with the air pressure or something? IDK but this sucks."

Anonymonious (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "So glad I looked up these reviews! I had the same experience as others with the anxiety, wanting to crawl out of my skin feeling. I had the Benadryl as well, but it didn't help. The doctors and nurses were acting like I was crazy and like they had never heard of this reaction. I'm glad to know I'm not alone and that I wasn't imagining these symptoms. I literally could not lie in the bed - I was pacing around the hospital room, and actually had to jump up and down because I was so restless. Absolutely awful feeling - I'd almost rather have the migraine (almost, but not quite). They finally had to give me Ativan to help. The Reglan did get rid of my migraine though, that's why 2 stars. "

Migraine mama (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2015

"Went to urgent care with a migraine I could not get rid of they gave me Benadryl first and then metoclopramide. At first I felt my skin crawling and felt like I couldn't sit still but after about 5 minutes I start to relax and fell asleep. I woke up and no migraine defiantly helped me a lot even though it did make me feel like I had some anxiety at first."

Anonymous February 3, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I'm so glad I read these postings. I was admitted to ER After a five day migraine. I was given this medicine through an IV. It took about 45-hour to feel relief. It took my pain level from a 10 to a 4. However the first 20 minutes I felt very restless suddenly and I want to be out of the hospital, I was uncomfortable and I wanted to rip the IV out of my arm. I was paranoid waiting for my boyfriend to come back from the restroom. I couldn't explain the feeling but after reading the other posts I see it was a similar experience and side effect to the other posters."

Prego with migraines (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2015