User Reviews for Ritalin

Learn more about Ritalin.

Ritalin Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Ritalin to treat ADHD

"I have mixed feelings on Ritalin I am 16 years old Diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and ADD. I started taking 20mg in the morning, After about 10 minutes I would start feeling it, i felt full of energy and moderately euphoric. I don't know if this is a "Normal" reaction but it would make me feel almost manic like. But all in all the effects were helpful! When I would usually just sit on my computer the Ritalin somehow made work enjoyable. I hated math but when on Ritalin and in school it was interesting even fun! it made everything feel positive and perfect. The reason I don't give it a 10 is because it only lasts for 3-4 hours. The comedown from this drug is quite terrible. And it gave me some annoying tics."

Anonononononnn February 1, 2016

"I started on 10mg short acting. I'm in the process of finding something different. I'm a student and in a competitive feild studying nursing . I'm a busy person and this didn't help me in any way except for test cramming and homework. It would last about 2 hours and if I wasn't done with my work I needed to take another. Doctor said use it on an as needed basis . But I want something that will help me through the day. Help me focus on everything I need to do in the day. I can't take this short acting stuff, because when it wears off I'm nervous and I feel cloudy minded and weird. I don't want to be around people at this time because I feel off. I'm going back to the doc on Monday. I heard adderal doesn't have the nervousness sideeffects"

Student 1982 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"This medicine worked well . I didn't have that many side effects. I took adderall and this one was much better ."

Tigereye100 January 31, 2016

"I've been on and off this medication for a few years now. I have mixed feelings towards it. The first 30 minutes to an hour of taking it , I feel a rush and a feeling of I can do anything. That rush motivates me to go to the gym actually. After the rush is gone I feel more focused and alert. After the alerteness has warn off I feel moody and irritable. I'm very aware it's the medication making me on edge and try to control it. I get a bit headachy sometimes and it bothers my stomach from time to time. Always hungry? Not on this medication. Appetite gone, at least for a while until the next pill. Make sure to eat! I would say this medication is addictive and would not recommend it to anyone that has an addiction problem."

DeeDoubt November 25, 2015

"Taking 20mg of Ritalin three times per day for my ADHD symptoms was less effective than taking regular caffeine."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

"Helped me a lot. Been using it for 8 months and now I'm on a 20 mg 2 times a day. I never had the power to just sit still and stay on one task. Now I'm able to actually sit down and focus on one task. I'm 16 and was diagnosed at 15. Ritalin doesn't last long enough though which is the only down side. Only lasts for 3 hours but it's good because you could get your appetite back. No side effects just a little nervous at times and head aches which are rare. Also suppressed appetite the first hour you take it."

Eddie024 July 11, 2015

"Ritalin has changed my life for the better. Family and friends could see how happy I was. I was able to finish what I started instead of 20 progject. A fill in Dr said he would not prescribed me my Ritalin because I was 61years old that I was too old. My regular dr is out of town. I am withdrawing and very tired and depressed and I want to die or I will if. These thoughts of after life will be painless live alone and no one will find me for days"

law1234567890 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

"I took it for a week. The first time I took it, I fell asleep. But it helps me with focus and thinking clearly. Still, I would go on the Adderall because it lasted longer in my system and I wasn't so sleepy."

CHuck57868959 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

"Not good for me, migraines were terrible and had tongue swelling. I went on to Stratarra which I found better"

StephySunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"Wow, I'm really surprised with the reviews of this drug. This drug should not be taken for ADHD. There are many (safer) alternatives. I don't know, maybe I was just unlucky...I was prescribed Ritalin at around the age of 5-6, and from day one I had extreme fatigue, weren't interested in any other activity but sleep. It made learning from not interesting to impossible. After a couple of months taking it I had lost a lot of weight...by that time the doctors had to take me off Ritalin. It has caused me to be underweight ever since (I'm 20 now). If your child(ren) are hyperactive you should really consider cutting of the high amounts of sugar that they are exposed to in this day of age. Don't drug them, they will soon develop in a mature being."

AaronjS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

"I have been taking Ritalin for almost 3 years & it has been great. I had ADHD in high school & college. I couldn't focus, listen to lectures, read well or study. I saw a doctor during college & he prescribed me Ritalin 20mg 3x/day (I had long days in college). I was finally able to read well, study & focus. I love learning now, I'm motivated & my mood improved. Now I take 20mg 2x/day (I graduated & go to bed earlier). It lasts around 4 hours. I never experience withdrawal or major sleepiness when I don't take it. Side effects: Difficulty sleeping if taken too close to bed time & appetite loss (minor). I highly suggest an eating schedule and drinking lots of water so you don't eat too little. I would often forget to eat in the beginning."

Lucyx007 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015

"Ritalin is great . I ve been taking it for 6 months now after being diagnosed with adhd. Now I can focus on my school work and stay alerted when last year I was sleeping the whole day during school and could learn anything. Marks of course have jumped from C to A as I can focus and stop doing stupid mistakes in tests that I didn t realize I was doing nor could spot due to the lack of patience. Impulses have been reduced also"

Jean batist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

"I would have to say wow! It helped me focus during school. I used to be an average student, now I have straight A's. and I don't have a problem getting anything done"

Bamagirl22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

"I love this. I've started taking it 3 years ago, it's effective for me. The best thing about this pills it makes me less-hungry, and it help me lose weight!"

hamdi9 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2014

"I have been using Ritalin 10mg for the past 3 weeks now. I am 28 years old and i suspected for a long time now that I have ADHD. Not being able to concentrate or focus, prioritise tasks and having depression (i am not taking medication for this) caused a lot of anxiety for me over the past 4-5 years. Ritalin has helped alot with my studies and kind of calms me. I am pretty quiet when i take it also. Its great for if you need to use it for work or study , but for everyday use I wouldn't like it. - In the first 45mins it gives me a slight euphoric feeling. - Makes me want to do productive activities. - Causes slight headaches if i don't drink plenty of water. I would recommend it. (I have tried adderall in the USA and that was even better)"

AdamC (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2014

"It helps, but not for very long. But it definitely doesn't make me as irritable as other ADHD medications"

sapnacpatel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2014

"My son has been taking Ritalin for around 6-8 months and the difference in him is just unbelievable, he's school work has improved, he's spelling and comprehension has gotten a lot better and he has excelled in maths and can actually remembers what he has learnt. He socially gets along better with other children and is less destructive when in a group setting. I was very hesitant to put my son on meds but now realise I made the best choice for him."

Flosa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is incredible. I've had ADD for about 20 years, as long as I've been alive and college has exacerbated the condition, so my neurologist prescribed Ritalin to me. This starts to wear off after about 2.5-3.0 hours, but it works absolute MIRACLES. The whole time before, whenever I tried to work, it was like I was seeing the world through warped glasses and my mind was just foggy, like it was full of ice and cotton, but now the entire world is beautifully, wonderfully clear! This is truly an amazing medicine, but be sure to follow your doctor's orders with it, as it can have side effects."

Morte (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm in my mid 30's & was diagnosed with ADHD approx 4 months ago. I started on 10 mg 2x a day & am currently on 20 mg 3 x a day. I tried Daytrana, the Ritalin patch, but it made me aggressive & hungry! In less than a month I had gained 20 lbs. I'm back on the pill & so far I love it! I wish I had this back in school! Unfortunately my mom wasn't a believer in ADHD. I am calmer, can think rationally vs going straight off emotions, the racing thoughts have ceased & I can complete tasks I start now. It's also given me more motivation in my life. Before Ritalin I was ready to give up on life & did nothing. I can now take care of responsibilities! My mood has even improved & my patience with my children & people in General has vastly improved."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"What can I say, dx with mild ADD too (who isn't anymore) But this taken with Effexor XR has helped very much with apathy, motivation, energy and enjoyment of life! Dr.'s reluctantly Rx this bc it is Schedule 2 substance and is mostly Rx'd for ADD/ADHD but it has a profound effect in boosting the effects of an antidepressant. Taken alone for depression? Not really a good idea bc it wears off fast. I take 20-30 mg a day (TID)"

n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2013

"Have to say wow! It helps low energy depression and works well with most SSRIs and some low dose SNRIs. Life feels exciting again and it offsets SSRI sexual side effects. Works fast and well. Main problem is that it wears off in a few hours so you need to dose multiple times a day. It causes you to sweat a little more and be a little more irritable than usual but it is really a great med to help depression. It is much different and better than Wellbutrin for sure even though both are NDRI's. Check out the research on stimulants for depression and bipolar depression. Going to try Provigil now for a more even energy/mood boost. But I may be back to this."

Patient67 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2013

"I've been taking it for 7 years and it turned my life around. I am severely dyslexic and have ADD and am on 30mg to 40mg a day. However, as of recent it has started making me slightly disorientated and even slightly sleepy, and my thoughts come faster than I speak (used to happen before I started taking Ritalin with my dyslexia) but it feels worse. I just started interning at an Ad company so not the best of times! "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2013

"I had taken every form of Ritalin while in elementary and junior high school it helped me focus but I felt like a zombie and my mom always felt like it was not really me. I was always angry when I would start to come down from it at night so in high school I started taking Aderrall and it was such a great change."

kimberly87 March 27, 2013

"I find Ritalin allows me to focus. With my ADD and bipolar I couldn't even read a book. My doctor says though its a stimulant, Ritalin tends not to push bipolars into mania. I was self medicating my ADD with caffeine which made me anxious so I'm glad the Ritalin replaces that. I'm on a low dose now and hope to increase to where the positive effects last longer, as they are short lived now."

DirtyDrew (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2013

"I have been taking Ritalin for about a month now. It really helps me focus on things. But a downfall is, it is really hard to multi-task. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and that makes it very difficult for my school work. Also, I have had a huge loss in appetite. I am not hungry, EVER. During the month I have been on this medicine I have lost almost twenty pounds due to the fact that I never want to eat."

Bailey Miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2013