User Reviews for Metadate CD

Learn more about Metadate CD.

Metadate CD review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Metadate CD to treat ADHD

Review by tachy-heart:

My 11 year old took 3 doses. On the 4th day she woke up (10:15am) feeling weak and dizzy. She came to me and told me her heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest. Her heart rate was 100. It remained elevated for about an hour. The MD could not see her until 2pm. By then her heart rate was 88. She was diagnosed with dehydration.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My 7 year old grandson has had great progress in school on Metadate 20 mg combined with 2 mg Guanfacine. He is focused and homework time and evenings are fine. The only drawback is he's very grouchy and uncooperative when he wakes up. He has very little appetite until late evening and everyday at school his belly hurts.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by SammyW (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My son is 11 and has been taking Metadate CD for 4 years. He is now taking 30mg in the morning. He is very thin and has no appetite during the day, but when his appetite comes back at bedtime we always let him eat as much as he wants. When he doesn't take this medication he says he can't do any of his work at school so we feel it really benefits him. He still has a lot of trouble with disorganization and being moody and sometimes aggressive, especially in the evenings when he is coming down off the medicine. He also has some headaches still, but not too much trouble sleeping. His behavior and ability to finish his school work all depend on whether he has had his medication though.

February 7, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by ADHD for 22 years (taken for 10 years or more):

I'm 31 and diagnosed with ADHD for 23 years. When my parents started me on Ritalin in 3rd grade their only regret was letting me struggle for so long. I was always being sent home from school for playing in the mud, walking out of class, etc. I was talkative and happy, but my grades were well below satisfactory - I had very few teachers encourage me, rather I was written off as a disruption. My first year on medication was hard, I had no appetite and trouble sleeping. After about 6 months all the side effects went away. I could eat and sleep no problem. I have been on Adderal now for 17 years. I graduated college, have amazing job - not sure where I would be if nobody saw the signs and helped.

October 13, 2013 9:07 PM

Review by Jsoucie:

My 7 year old son was on this for a few months. It wasn't until summer and he was in my care full time when I started to notice his strange characteristics. He became more of a loner, didn't talk much with anyone, and started staring off with a fearful look. At my mothers I noticed he was staring into the bushes, rocking back and forth while standing. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was seeing eyes in the bushes and they were all staring back at him. Well I immediately called his pediatrician and had him taken off that day. We started seeing improvements by the next couple of days. He became more social, wanted to actually get of the house and was my boy again.

April 25, 2013 8:59 AM

Review by Twintriptwo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My 8 yr old has been taking this medication since he was 5 years old. Started at 10mg. Took him to the Doctor to see about upping it to 20mg. While at the doctors office the doctor said he needs 30mg. We tried that for a week or so. My son lost his appetite and complained with his heart hurting. Took him back, put him on 20mg. When he started the medication everyone could see a huge difference in his behavior. They said he was like a different child. Straight As for the past 3 report cards. The medicine runs out near the end of the day. If he has issues that's when it happens. At times he hits himself, makes strange noises, and can be moody. He sleeps well and he is @ 85% in his weight. It has worked for him.

April 12, 2013 11:46 AM

Review by CDoc21 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My son was having alot of trouble in school and we ended up having him repeat the first grade. At the end of his first year in first grade we put him on the medication and saw an immediate difference on his focus. He is finally above goal in his classwork. So as far as school goes he is doing amazing. The con for us is my son is very thin to begin with so the medication hasnt helped with weight gain. Also he does strange things like hitting himself in the chest not hard just looks strange. He just does odd things at times. But he doesnt have any issues sleeping.

March 18, 2013 10:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

My 5 year old has been on this medication for about 2 weeks now we switched him from Adderall to this because Adderall had to many side effects but other than the side effects he did really well at first. So we switched to Medadate we had high hopes that we found the right medicine for him but we saw no response at all his behavior on the medicine was as if he was not on it. We moved his dose up to 20 yesterday I hope this will help or else we have to try something else.

December 6, 2012 11:26 PM

Review by Sheri Lynn:

My son (7 years old now) was diagnosed with ADHD last year and was started on 10mg of Metadate. We've slowly progressed to 60mg now which I was told is the maximum dosage available for this medication. It seems to work fine on a new dosage for about a month and then nothing. Our doctor is now talking about putting him on Adderall which makes me a little nervous since he is already underweight (been reading all the side effects). He is only 49lbs and 49inches. We're feeding him Pedisures daily to help boost the weight but still to no avail. Just want my son to be able to focus in school!

November 3, 2011 7:37 PM

Review by Mom with a Question:

My son has gradually come up to 40 mg and now he is telling us that he does not feel anything anymore. Can this happen? We do give him 3mg of melatonin to sleep at night when it was working to help him sleep. It works great.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 4:37 AM

My Grandson was diagnosed with ADD and was placed on Metadate CD which from school reports about behavior in class seems to be helping there. But he does seem to behave some reflex issues being slowed down in sports and acts much more insecure in wanting a constant approval which we are quick to give.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2011 9:04 AM

My son is 8 and we just started this medication. Started at 10mg and it was not enough so we went up to 20mg a few days later. His teacher noticed right away that things were better at school, but at home he was a nightmare. Very emotional when coming off medicines in the afternoon. We got a booster of Ritalin but now he is not sleeping. I am going to try Concerta again to see if we can get rid of the emotional outbursts.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2011 8:47 AM

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD nearly 1 year ago. We tried 4 different medications - 2 gave him side effects of not being able to sleep AND a high anxiety. 2 did nothing for him. Then we tried Metadate CD. We started with 10 mg, which didn't really do anything. 20mg was better, but still some issues in the attention area. We are now at 30 mg, and it's great. His teacher has also said that school is much better. He makes sense in his answers, he's not blurting out or disrupting the class. We give it to him at 6:45 am, and can get through a bit of homework until 5:30pm. Then it's worn off. I think that's a great amount of time and NO side effects of lack of sleep, lack of appetite, or mood/anxiety issues. I hope it continues.

May 20, 2011 10:02 AM

My son is 5 1/2. We've always noticed his short attention span, impulsiveness, always in trouble. Last year he started preschool, he to has a July birthday. His teacher asked if I had considered holding him back. We decided not to. Kindergarten has been a roller coaster. We started seeing his pediatrician about a month into school. He was in time out everyday distracting the class, loud outbursts, not able to sit still. Now it is March he's been taking Metadate 20mg for about 3 months, his report cards has improved about 80%. Although it does wear off around 2 or 3 in the afternoon we can really see a difference in school. I still am interested in investigating other avenues. Overall my son has shown a significant improvement.

March 2, 2011 1:00 AM

Review by Aric:

I wrote a former review on this medication a while back. I want to re-edit my review with a new one thats founded upon newer trials. I took the medication, how my doctor told me to (* not how it was perscribed on the bottle *). He said, take this 1x daily (* 30mg *) when you have work or school. Well, having ADHD-PI I need to take this DAILY - meaning everyday. Without it, I'm a mess. I can't focus on social conversations (* I always feel like I'm "lost in translation" *) With this medication, I am confident I can pursue my studies at college - without experiencing defeat, and hold down a job and friendships. I may not be my wacky spontaneous self when I'm on it but it's worth it I guess.

December 18, 2010 4:28 PM

Review by Aric:

I've been taking stimulants for ADD almost all of my life... Except for high school - man, did, I fall apart then. Parents, never take your children off these medicines if they're on them for a reason and doing well. I'd continue the route. This medicine is alright but I do not like the "come down" of it at all. Makes me very irritable and angry, then extremely depressed. It does give me a burst of energy which gets me motivated to start doing things and what not - which I like, but, just the come down is brutal. I don't like methylphenidate. I want to try Adderall as I heard it is less intense. Anyways, make sure you drink a lot of water on this medication and try to eat something.

November 29, 2010 6:41 AM

My 7yr old daughter was having a horrible time focusing in school and was very overweight. The doctor started her on Metadate 20mg and had to eventually move her up to 50mg a day. It worked great, she lost the weight and focused great in school until this year. She went to a new school and the days are a little longer. The teacher and I noticed that the medicine was not working as well as it used to and was wearing off before the end of the day! The doctor said that she could not up the dose because 50mg was the maximum and wouldn't let the school give a second dose so she has switched her to Adderell XR and it worked great but she can't sleep. I miss the Metadate and am thinking about getting a second opinion.

October 20, 2010 11:19 AM

Review by MYonker:

My son is 7-1/2 and has been taking 20mg of Metadate CD for the past 4 months. He started a new school this year, private school, and we had high hopes for him to succeed. But within the first week of school the teacher was already reporting lack of focus and inability to work independently. So the Doctor recommended a higher dosage. We had just filled the prescription ($47/month) so I asked if we could simply double the dose instead of a new prescription of 30mg. Doctor was Okay with that so we did it over the weekend. I saw a major difference at home, he sat in his room and played Lego's for over 3 hours, very focused on it. But he was so quiet it scared me. Today will be his first day in the classroom with 40 mg, I hope it works.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2010 9:52 AM

Review by anthonyandjohnna:

7 year old with ADHD, with the HD prevailing. Started 10 mg Metadate CD in the morning and teacher reported night and day difference, but late in the day was night marish. Grouchy, no focus and constantly arguing. Doctor decided that it metabolized quickly and was out of his system too quickly. Started 20 mg in the morning and saw immediate improvement in the afternoons. BUT...vocal and motor tics began, up to 7-10 a minute, and we stopped it right away. Started 0.25 mg Guanfacine to relax the system, up to 3 mg now. Tics have lessened, but still present daily. Tried Adderall, but aggression and moodiness appeared. Back to Metadate CD, paired with Guanfacine, school is better, still some moodiness, but overall an improvement.

November 21, 2009 11:43 PM

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 11 and have been on this medicine for 8 years now. It helped me focus on school and work. When I first started I lost weight but Im pretty sure its because I did not eat before taking my pills. Metadate has truly helped me out.

November 6, 2009 12:49 AM

My son is 7 and has been on this medicine for a year now. We tried everything before putting him on medicine. We started out with 10mg and really saw no effect. He is now on 20mg and it is amazing! It does wear off before we get home in the evening. Homework time is a disaster! But, we have had no side effects and no wieght loss. Without Metadate CD he couldn't finish anything. He's doing great in school this year! It's so hard to deal with him in the evening; but, it helps us get through the day.

October 2, 2009 11:21 AM

Our son has gone through 3 other medicines, and this is the only one that has worked with no side effects. We have noticed that it wears off at the end of the school day, so after school activities are a little more challenging. He struggles a little in the evening, since it's definitely worn off by then, but what it does for him in school is great. We're looking into options to help him in the evening without messing up his sleep.

September 29, 2009 9:45 PM

Our 6-yr-old daughter has been on this for 6 months. At first we also thought it was a miracle drug. Her handwriting improved tremendously, her attention span was great, etc., however, it did wear off around 3 PM and we were in for a horrible evening every night. We tried a booster of 10 mg of methylphenidate at 3 PM but that has just brought out oppositional-defiant disorder. We now are about to try Concerta. I definitely would recommend Metadate CD, though, because for the most part it gave us back our daughter.

August 5, 2009 7:56 PM

Review by Very Happay Mom:

My son is getting ready to turn 7. He has been on Metadate CD for 2 years. We first started him out on the 10mg but after six months we had to go up to 20mg. Before he started the Metadate the teacher would have to chase him around the room and keep him from doing flips during circle time. The school even suggested that I pull him out for an extra year since he was a July birthday. I took my son to the doctor and told them what the school wanted to do she tested him and then started him on the Metadate. I could tell a difference on the first pill. He has made straight A's every since. Now that he can focus and sit still he is the first one done with his work and the teachers have decided to test him for the Gifted program.

June 22, 2009 7:51 PM

My daughter was diagnosed with ADD about 2 years ago and has been on this medicine ever since. I truly feel this has been our "miracle" drug for her. She never had behavior issues, she just couldn't focus at home or school. Since starting this medicine, her grades have come up and she is able to focus on anything she wants to. We had to struggle with headaches in the beginning, but now she is fine. We also have the no appetite issue with her, so she drinks PediaSure for that. Thank you Metadate for helping my child.

April 4, 2009 9:08 AM