User Reviews for Daytrana

Learn more about Daytrana.

ADHD 34 reviews 62 medications

8.2
Summary of Daytrana reviews 34 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Daytrana

Review by ADHD MOM: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son is 7 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD and is using Daytrana 10mg which has been the BEST so far! After applying the patch, it takes a couple of hours for the medicine to start working. I noticed that if I place the patch on his hip, but closer to his butt it is more effective. (my doctor said that other parents had noticed that the placement of the patch makes a difference). At school he is able to control his impulses, focus and most importantly still be a 7 year old boy (not a zombie). The only downfalls to this medication is that he does not have an appetite (most of these meds cause this) & the area where you place the patch can get red and itchy. I rotate where I place the patch and use baby oil to remove the adhesive

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2014 9:15 AM
Review by karinos:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: We just picked up the Daytrana patch tonight and plan to try it in the morning. My son is 15 and has been on ADD medications since he was 6. Metidate was awful -- caused anger and dark moods. We switched to Focalin XR twice a day (which I highly recommend for those of you who are still searching for the right medication) and has been absolutely wonderful for the past 6 or 7 years. It made him feel loving and gentle, which is his nature. Just recently, he seemed to outgrow his dosage, and through tests of different dosages, we have reached the max he should take, which, by the way, is usually not what the insurance company limits are, so find a good ADD doctor who knows his stuff. Keep at it until you find the right med and dosage.

October 23, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by 4Momof4kids (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son almost 6 started on Daytrana right around 5 yrs old. We went from half a 10mg patch to a whole 10mg patch. Really it's whatever we need that day. It does work. Positives for us: concentration improved, attitude solid. Negatives: if we leave the patch on from 8-6, we are up until 2 or 3 am if we do not give melatonin to help sleep. Appetite severely decreases on medicine, days without medicine he's eating like a horse. Overall the medicine has more positives than negatives, I just would like more understanding on how as a parent to be able to handle all this.

July 25, 2013 2:09 AM
Review by luvspnk: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This medicine has me really confused. My 7 yr old has ADHD and usually has really good control on meds. Concerta always worked really well, but we couldn't go any higher on the dose. Everything else wares off before he is home from school . We tried the Daytrana to see if he would have some control through the bus ride home. The confusing part is, it's helping a lot with the hyperactivity, but not at all with focus. He's actually always done well in school, but now his teacher says he just wanders around the classroom. Any one else ever had this experience?

February 12, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by Alindsay330: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: We had tried the patch when our son was 5 1/2 yrs old. We have tried many stimulant medications which do not last the amount of time it states it should so we tried Daytrana. This was not for us. My son was out of control, increased aggression, impulsivity, and couldn't sit still to save his life. My son does deal with other mental Health disorders such as SPD, ODD, ADHD, GAD, and a mood disorder. We are currently on Focalin XR 15mg in the morning and 10Mg XR about 12pm. Focalin has been the best we found but still I think causes his other diagnosis to shine through a bit more.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 20, 2013 8:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD. He was having problems at school such as focusing, following directions, sitting still.. etc. We decided to use the Daytrana patch since he isn't able to take pills. This so far is working wonders. He is on his first week and is already showing signs of improvement! I recommend this product.

October 5, 2012 4:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My husband and I didn't believe in ADD. My child's doctor said that he would only medicate if my child's grades were suffering. We postponed medication until my son was in the 5th grade and grades started plummeting. He is not hyper or misbehaved but has difficulty focusing, completing tasks and becoming overwhelmed. We tried other medicines, but Daytrana was for us. No fuss to take medicines. No sudden drop in mood. No depression. The only drawback was itchy skin, but he overcame this and difficulty removing the backing, but overtime this becomes easier. I would recommend this. Do not give up on your child. ADD is real!

April 3, 2012 4:38 PM
Review by Bobjo: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 18 year old daughter has been on Daytrana patches for more than 5 years. She needs a 40 mg dose, and 30 mg is the strongest patch. Benefits are MANY. Though 9 hours is the recommended time for wearing the patch, my daughter routinely wears them for 14 hours daily to get school work and homework done. She wears them 16 or more hours if she has a date, or there is a school function that lasts late e.g. PROM. This has allowed her to avoid those horrible "impulse control" issues most ADD kids experience. Daytrana has allowed her to avoid the highs and lows that occur with other medications. We love Daytrana.

April 1, 2012 4:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 5 year old son has severe ADHD and started on this patch 4 months ago. Although it really does what it says, it leaves him with severe rashes, and muscle tenderness. I am looking into alternatives now.

January 3, 2012 7:08 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm eighteen and I've had ADD all my life, though I'm only now trying medication for it. Daytrana helped me a little, but my dosage was too low. I started out on the 10mg patch. The biggest issue with it was weight loss. Now, let me begin by saying that before the appointment where I was diagnosed, I had just eaten lunch. Shortly after starting Daytrana, I caught a cold that lasted about two weeks, recovered, then caught another two-week cold. I did notice that I was less hungry while using the patch. Didn't eat breakfast before my checkup, My weight went from 120 to 114 lbs. Doctor took me off Daytrana and switched me to Stratera, which has been a nightmare. While on Daytrana, I felt more awake, but not necessarily more focused.

November 27, 2011 4:49 PM
Review by sarah c: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am 13 years old and was diagnosed when I was in kindergarten. I started taking medicine when I was in 1st grade. I started to use Daytrana when I was in 4th grade. Only my close friends and family knew I had ADHD. I was so embarrassed and was made fun of all the time. I was on 15mg but for the past couple of months I switched to 10mg. It works great and I recommend it to others. The patch you just stick on your hip and take it off after 9 hours. Sometimes I forget to take it off and can't sleep at all and if I don't take it I will bounce off the walls and I will eat so much that I either throw up or be very sick. When I do take it I feel like a normal person. It is hard to get the backing off sometimes but if you are careful it comes off.

July 2, 2011 4:02 AM
Review by nerdvanagirl: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am someone that does NOT like to take medication. I am an adult and I found out I was ADD back about 5 years ago and started taking Strattera for it. I am a slow metabolizer so was using 10 mg per day of Strattera. Recently I felt the need to add some additional medication to help me focus a little better. In reading about Daytrana, the thing I liked about it was that I knew I could cut the patch down in size (to 1/2 or 1/4) if I felt the dose was too high. I usually am VERY sensitive to adhesives, but I've been on it about 2 weeks now and have not had a problem at all. I clean the site where the patch had been with alcohol after I take it off and have not had any skin reactions. The product is GREAT (10 mg dose patch).

April 5, 2011 11:41 PM
Review by snow1234: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am an adult on this medicine now for a little over a month. I could not sleep at night because I could not get my brain to "turn off" I had constant headache and horrible migraines which I am treated for by a neurologist. My blood pressure was out of control most days over 175 with the bottom number at high 90's to 110. Not good. Since being on it I have not had one migraine, my blood pressure is 120's over 60 to 70's and I can put it on and go right to sleep if I want to. I actually sleep through the night now. I can not tell you how happy I am to feel so good. Side effect; the patch leaves red skin that does not heel for days. I am so excited. My son takes Concerta now for 6 years and has good results but not like this.

March 17, 2011 10:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 8 year old son has been on Daytrana for approximately 6 months and I have to say of all the ADHD medicines out there this is the best. We have tried almost every ADHD medicine out there and nothing lasted as long as it was supposed to or had no effect whatsoever. The only problem with the patch is its sticking. It never seems to stick and in the summer I had to find something waterproof to put over it.

October 19, 2010 1:32 AM
Review by caseywrice: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I just started Daytrana 30mg after being on another generic versin of methylphenidate 10mg 3 times a day and all I can say is Daytrana is the best. I do not get the ups and downs with the pill form. Instant Release Ritalin and I also like how I do not have to keep taking pills all day long. Daytrana is so much smoother. I was amazed at how it kept a steady supply of methylphenidate in my system. I also believe since it slowly releases I do not feel jittery and I actually had a great appetite. The only thing I would still change is I would make the part that you peel off hard. Since it's flexible it takes a little of work to peel the back off. I can deal with it though since it the best ADD medicine I have found out there.

October 11, 2010 7:43 PM
Review by jpmnfam: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 11 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD since kindergarten. That is usually when parents can start to confirm their suspicions of their child's behavior with the observation of an outside party such as a teacher. We started with the usual, very mild Strattera...to no avail. We didn't really know what we were looking for. We were so very sad and scared that he would become a 'zombie' as most people describe it. Nothing worked from Strattera, Concerta (gave him tics), Clonidine (high blood pressure medicine that supposedly works for ADHD), etc. DAYTRANA 40mg has been the miracle drug for our little boy. He has been on it for about 1 1/2 years now. He can sit and do homework, crossword puzzles, and word finds! Absolutely love it, no more mean Morgan!

September 8, 2010 1:27 PM
Review by steffers: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son is 10 yrs old and has ADHD. He has been on the patch for 4-5 months and the only side effects that he has is a redness where the patch was. Other than that, its a miracle patch. His grades have doubled and the lowest grade he has gotten is one C. He wears it from 5:30am-3:30pm. I love it, it calms him down and he is happy to do his homework. I can only praise this medicine. Some will give negative and positive reviews about the patch because it will effect everyone differently.

March 26, 2010 7:05 PM
Review by Erin22withADHD: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am a 22 yr old female. Hated the significant side effects of Vyvase60mg. Hated Invuniv. Love the patch. Allows me to control the medication. I usually take it off about 7 hours after putting it on. This allows me to sleep at night. I can focus at work very well and no significant drop. I realized I cannot blow dry my hair, or go tanning with it on or I would get a big burst of medication! Sometimes have a hard time sleeping if I don't take it off early!

February 10, 2010 7:55 PM
Review by Mom of 2 boys: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Oldest son (now 11 1/2) known to us (and teachers) to have ADHD by 5 yrs of age. Did not want him on medicines, but by 2nd grade, he was not able to work to his potential. Tried Focalin. Made my sweet, funny child nauseous and zombie like. We both cried every morning while he took it. Tried for 2 months, said "forget it, not worth it. Next 4 years - no medicines at all, just great teachers and A LOT of work to keep his grades/other issues with ADD on track as best we could. EXTREMELY difficult especially for him to maintain/not stay stressed out at school/doing homework/projects/sports. Middle school began this year. Too much to handle without something. Began DAYTRANA-10 mg at Xmas. Works wonders for him! No side effects except less appetite!

January 23, 2010 9:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My teenager daughter was recently diagnosed with ADHD to no surprise to anyone. She managed well until high school and was then put on Daytrana. she has experienced no side effects except decrease in appetite and if she keeps the patch on too long she might have difficulty falling asleep. Her focus has improved substantially and she is able to do her school work. However as everyone knows this medication only solves one piece of the puzzle. Overall she does not seem to have the rebound issues that people have with the medications taken by mouth.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 3, 2009 2:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This is our second month on Daytrana for my 5 year old, who used to have many problems in school: getting into trouble, not sitting, hitting other kids, etc... It takes about 2 hrs to kick in but what a difference. He is evenly calm and listens, no violent outbursts or being hateful. He was on Focalin XR for 9 mos. too much trouble with capsules, had to grind beads and put in his drinks to drink. Having trouble at school to take second dose, he refused. Don't like red skin irritations, putting baby oil, lotion, and Neosporin as it is itchy and he scratches, breaking skin. Easy to put on at 6 am while he is still sleeping so it can kick in by 8 am when school starts. Wonderful!

October 30, 2009 10:32 AM
Review by Big Cheese: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Used this for recently diagnosed adult ADD (no hyper-activity). What a difference it made. Started at 30mg, finished at 40mg (30mg plus 10mg patch). I finally finished my last class for a long overdue college degree and my family relationship has improved because I am able to stay on task, keep commitments and be focused and present when with other people. I loved putting it on and forgetting it until my alarm reminded me to remove it late in the day. Unfortunately, the skin itching and rashes got to be severe perhaps because I wore the patch from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. I went off the patch and still had red marks, and raised bumps weeks later. I'm switching to Vyvanse next month.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2009 5:06 PM
Review by Eevee-San: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This patch was not very useful to me. All it did was irritate my skin and cause a huge loss in appetite. While on this, however, I lost no weight.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 5, 2009 8:50 AM
Review by Mom in MI: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My daughter was on the Daytrana patch for 2 years and did very well during most of that time. Daytrana was a breath of fresh air. She was still a normal child with high spirits. She did well in school and maintained friendships. My complaints about the Daytrana patch was the skin irritation. Her skin reddened and eventually scarred. It would take at least 2 hours in the morning to "kick-in" which was hell for her homeroom and 1st hr teachers. 2 hours after removal she was EXTREMELY hyperactive. Days without the patch were agonizing at best because her behavior was so over the top. She also did not eat while the patch was on. However, the benefits outweighed the negatives for me.

September 14, 2009 11:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Love the results we're getting, but now we have side effects - severe side effects. Just found out by coming to this site that it can cause seizures, which is what we are going through now. My son had a seizure last night, but the ER doctor told us that there's been no reports of it causing seizures...hmmm...interesting.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate