User Reviews for Relistor

Learn more about Relistor.

Constipation, Drug Induced 13 reviews 3 medications

8.6
Constipation, Chronic 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Relistor reviews 14 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Relistor

Review by DivaVampTina (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I've been on high dose pain medicines since 2001 and knew I had constipation as a side effect, but it wasn't until I was able to lose a large amount of weight that I realized just how backed up and bloated I was. I heard of this medication online and asked my pain management Dr for it. He had no issues giving it to me. It took me a couple weeks to get the nerve to try it because of the side effects I've read, but I've not had any. This medication has been a Godsend! It was recommended to use a laxative prior to help clean things out some, which decreases cramping from your body trying so hard to defecate. I now look forward to my injection every other day! I only need to go every other day because it works so well.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2013 9:39 PM

Review by cronicKen (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: My 1st 12mg injection cramped me severly with sweting & nausa.got to go about 20mins later had been 4 days. Have been on pain meds for 21yrs and finally found this medicine. Getting ready for 2nd injection hope the cramping aint as bad as the first time.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 9:06 AM

Review by just me 49 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I wasn't sure about taking this medication and if it would work, but after giving it time I saw a big change. I made the right choice and would recommend it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 1:38 AM

Review by MRSDJMCW (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Drug Induced: Follow up to my previous review 4/12 I recently began taking the 8 mg. injections and have used 1 every other day for the past 10 days. The pain, nausea and distension had destroyed my quality of life. I was unable to eat more than a few bites of food at a time. I have had FANTASTIC results with this medicine. It works within 10 minutes or less following injection,causes almost NO side effects except a slight cramping sometimes so effective I can feel the movement starting right away. I am continuing to use this every other day, to me this is truly a miracle.

February 28, 2013 11:59 AM

Review by Pucksau:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I started the Relistor injections about 3 weeks ago. I was to inject 8 mg but was given the 12 mg syringe on the doctor's order. Very difficult to discard the extra mg because the syringe is not clearly marked. I now have the 8 mg syringes which I should have gotten to start with. I take the Relistor every other day and it works in 5 minutes. I set aside 2 hours to deal with the results. 5 to 6 bowel movements, including some diarrhea. I go from bed to bathroom and back again until done. My main problem is the nausea that accompanies the process. I did experience vomiting after the first injection but now it only nausea. I take Zofran a half-hour before the injection for nausea and it helps but doesn't completely take care of it. Even with the unpleasant side effects, I am glad to have this medicine to treat the slow GI movement I have due to scleroderma, diabetes and the opiates I take for chronic back pain.

February 21, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by Woundedwarrior8428 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Drug Induced: It WORKS! But and there is a but, the side effects can be pretty intense. Mostly the abdominal cramps and slight headache. It did not work with my 1st doss but did my 2nd approx 2 hrs after injection. For me it's definitely worth it because for 1st time in months I went #2 all by myself (meaning no enemas no suppository!). Amazing, I do stress that if you do use it make sure you have time to rest and wait. The cramps will stop, you'll have a lot of gas and then you'll go potty like a normal person.

September 19, 2012 10:47 PM

Review by Pokeyj2222 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I am 64 yrs old I've suffered from constipation my entire life and have been on opiates for many years due to colo-rectal cancer treatments/surgeries. I've been using Relistor for 2 weeks and I have a bowel movement within 5 minutes. For me, I have 3-4 more within the following couple of hours. It has been a miracle for me. Life changing.

August 9, 2012 12:40 PM

Review by SodaMama:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I just used Relistor for the first time. I have chronic abdominal pain that provides the wonderful need for strong narcotics. They are terrible on my system and possibly from the constipation or maybe a result of the many many surgeries I have been through I have very painful bowel movements. Its like I can feel the stool winding through my bowels and it feels like sharp rocks! After the injection I had almost instant cramps and only a moderate amount of gas. I felt the "winding rocks" moving with a vengeance. That's why I'm not giving this a 10 because of the cramps (which could possibly be issues with my system). Like another reviewer said..I had a massive movement 30mins later. NICE!

February 18, 2011 7:51 AM

Review by happywi:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I help my 83 yo mother-in-law with her medical care. She has been on opiates for over 25 years due to broken hips after a fall. After several trips to the hospital a couple years ago for fecal dis-impaction, I began a desperate search for something that could help. This medicine had just come out about 8 months earlier. I only wish someone had told me about it sooner. It has been a life-saver for her. Within about 15 minutes of her first shot, she had a huge bowel movement. She's been taking it every other day for almost 2 years, and in that time, has had less than a handful of times when it didn't work. This has truly been a blessing for us.

December 26, 2010 12:10 AM

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I've been going on and off opiates for around 8 years since my chronic pain began. I would go off the medicines to get relief from the horrible constipation they caused. A few years ago I discovered that I was constipated even when I would go off the medicines, so I must have messed something up by using laxatives for so long. I tried the subcutaneous Relistor that I had been desperately waiting for for years, and unfortunately it didn't help.

April 11, 2010 5:20 PM

Review by AndersonC:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: This is the best medicine available for drug induced constipation, there is no doubt in my experience. My one concern is that it does involve some urinary retention, certainly when I was given the maximum dose of 12mg. The lower dose of 8mg caused less urinary retention but I am only using Relistor once a week until we assess how much retention it is causing, by ultrasound. The manufacturer is still saying urinary retention is not a side effect. I note the comment of urinary retention here. This could be a serious problem for those of us with underlying disease that involves urinary retention, such as ALD or some forms of MS, for example. Relistor is a great help otherwise.

February 2, 2010 5:52 AM

Review by Anne M.:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: Doctor gave me this shot to see if it would work for me. I suffer from chronic constipation, and painful bowel movements often causing rectal and anal tearing. It took over 24 hours for it to work for me but it was well worth the wait. I never had such a massive NORMAL bowel movement in my life and I went two times! It was wonderful. Sorry for details but I can't have bowel motion unless I overdose on a tonne of laxatives. I am now getting a prescription for it and I can't wait.

October 23, 2009 1:45 PM

Review by stew123:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: My father is 89 and has suffered from dug induced constipation for years as a result of his pain management drugs. His first injection of Relistor yielded a substantial bowel movement in less than ten minutes. Since this initial treatment he has experienced increased normal movements on a regular basis. There have been no adverse reactions to this medication.

July 8, 2009 10:15 AM

Review by Chronic Pain Sufferer:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I suffer from chronic pain and have been on and off opioid therapy for much of my adult life. Because I suffer from chronic pelvic pain, constipation is extremely painful for me. Unfortunately natural and/or gentle laxatives were not strong enough for me, and strong laxatives were too hard on my system, so nothing was working for me until now. I have just started the treatments so I am just taking a little less than the 4 ml dose, twice a week. So far, each time I have had my shot, I have had a %u2018normal%u2019 bowel movement within one hour. Overall if you are struggling with constipation as a result of pain medications, this very well could be the solution for you. It has been for me.

November 28, 2008 8:57 PM