User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Chronic Pain 37 reviews 102 medications

9.2
Opiate Withdrawal 115 reviews 11 medications

Pain 138 reviews 912 medications

8.4
Summary of Methadone reviews 290 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Methadone

Review by ecellis:

For Pain: I was born with arthritis and have been on many of the narcotic based drugs in my 20 years of being treated. I noticed someone saying that methadone makes them feel tired when they sit. I know that is a normal side effect but I urge ALL men that are taking ANY narcotic pain medication to get your testosterone checked! Narcotics lower the level of testoserone and that makes you feel very tired. I was feeling very tired all the time and didn't really have any get-up-and-go and would have "Hot Flashes." I got my levels checked and my testosterone was almost at female levels. Now I get testosterone shots and feel much better. If you are on medicines long term, get your levels checked!

June 22, 2009 3:30 AM

Review by NewVicTMan:

For Opiate Withdrawal: When administered properly by the Detox/Rehab program and taken right by the patient this drug is a God send. I was addicted to I.V. use of Morphine and its varieties such as Dilaudid. I have been clean for 3 years now and methadone has done wonders for me. I was at my peak on 120mg daily and now after several months of monitored decreases I am down to 9 mg daily and feel great. On the other side though, there are also a large number of people in the program who, while they can't get the high from morphine, replace it with cocaine. This is a common practice and the cause of many deaths. The use of methadone as a cessation aid is a two way street. There has to be equal work done by the client and the program.

June 19, 2009 10:04 AM

Review by annyarbrough79yahoo.com:

For Pain: I have two degenerative discs, a pinched nerve, arthritis, and I also have a lot of trouble with my sciatic nerve. I also have pain in my left leg and hip. A couple of different doctors tried Lorcet and Lortab but they did not help me at all. I started going to another doctor and he prescribed me Methadone and it seems to be helping. I only take one three times a day. It helps to ease it and I think when I go back to the doctor I am going to see if maybe he can up the dose, not a lot but enough to really take the pain away. All in all the Methadone has helped me a lot.

June 18, 2009 11:39 AM

Review by It's Over:

For Pain: I broke my neck after a fall from a bridge in 2000. After many failed surgeries, an ANS spinal implant that didn't work, pain medications were my only option. Like many of you, I was prescribed Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, OxyContin, MS Contin, Fentanyl, in varying orders and dosages, and then Methadone. While all of the previously named medications have their pro's and con's, I did experience one side effect with Methadone that I haven't seen listed or heard of anyone experience before. After 2 or 3 days on the medication, I started having very vivid and disturbing nightmares. While I understand this may be a "wonder drug" for many of you, there are some of us out there that disagree.

June 11, 2009 3:04 PM

For Pain: This drug has helped my nerve pain in my leg however, I am feeling tired when I sit. This is something I haven't got use to yet.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2009 10:19 PM

For Pain: I was just put on methadone less than a week ago for severe pain related to a recent, failed back surgery. I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. I need to have fusion surgery, but am not ready for surgery again just yet. The methadone has been great. I can sit with very little or no pain at all. I still use percocet as needed for breakthrough pain. The methadone is allowing me to push the surgery off a few more months so I'm not bedridden all summer. I can still function at work and be there for my kids without being doped up. Definitely recommend it.

June 1, 2009 12:51 PM

Review by J is for junk(ie):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Have become an Oxycontin addict, snorting daily to the tune of about 50-100mg every day for about 2 years. Without methadone my physical withdrawals start with sweats/fever first, then the muscle spasms/restlessness, aching everything and inability to sleep joining, then the nausea/loss of appetite following close by. There is no peak once you've started the game, it's always maximum bad until the end. One symptom is relieved due to time, and another quickly replaces it. 5mg of Methadone every 8 hours nullifies all physical withdrawal problems for me except: hot flashes/inability to regulate body temperature, and total loss of appetite.

May 24, 2009 11:14 PM

Review by Fast Tom:

For Pain: I finally found a doctor who listened to me. Methadone is the God send I was looking for, for chronic pain. I have my life back again.

May 22, 2009 12:31 PM

For Opiate Withdrawal: Methadone as an instrument is a temporary fix. The sooner your mind and body are drug free you and the people that support you will be much better off .

May 13, 2009 9:32 AM

Review by Ineedmore:

For Pain: It's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

May 6, 2009 4:59 PM

For Pain: Methadone is the best for neuropathic pain by far, so as long as you are taking the right dose and remember if you are in intractable pain such as rsd/crps,it's even better.

May 3, 2009 7:39 PM

Dolophine (methadone) for Pain: I have been taking methadone for about a year now. I was on Oxycontin for way to long and although the transition was a bit difficult but I made it through. I take between 3 and 5 10mg tabs a day and I do have relief from chronic back pain but I do feel as if I need more as it keeps feeling as if it gets less and less effective. Might have to up the dosage.

April 20, 2009 3:43 PM

Review by Plaxibo:

For Pain: I take 10mg x 3 a day and take Percocet for breakthrough pain. I have to say Methadone is a God send. My life has improved so much since I started taking it.

April 12, 2009 7:35 PM

Review by Bunny S.:

For Pain: I have had an okay time with this medication. My back pain has been so severe that I have been on opiates for about 5 years.

April 11, 2009 12:40 AM

For Pain: My back is partially broken and methadone is the only pain reliever that helps the pain.

April 6, 2009 8:14 PM

Review by cshellsart:

Methadose (methadone) for Pain: Excellent at times for preventing pain rather than removing pain that's already occurring. Has helped me regain parts of my life again, like walking.

March 31, 2009 7:48 AM

Review by abalone:

For Pain: I have chronic knee and ankle pain. I've tried Norco, Dilaudid and Oxy's. None work as well as Methadone 10mg's ,3 times daily. I'm very impressed that it works so well.

March 30, 2009 3:38 PM

Review by almost crippled:

For Pain: I had a fusion 30 years ago. This has lead to degenerative disc disease. I am only 52 and have the spine of a 100 year old person. I tried every pain reliever in the book over 9 years. I was recently put on the methadone and it has saved my life. I can now walk, stand, sit through a movie with no pain and no side effects. It is a God send for chronic pain.

March 23, 2009 6:34 AM

Review by blair24m:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was addicted to opiates for going on 7 years. I finally found out that taking methadone (supervised of course) helped me dramatically. I had no cravings for opiates any longer and I was still able to discontinue the methadone with the help of my counselor. And to this day I am opiate free thanks to the methadone and the support of my counselor. Methadone does work, but you have to give it at least 2 years.

March 17, 2009 11:38 AM

Review by Brooke 26:

For Pain: I like methadone. It works really well and seems to last a lot longer than other pain medicines.

March 13, 2009 8:26 AM

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have been prescribed methadone for a few years because of opiate addiction caused after I had a kidney removed 10 years ago. This drug has absolutely given me my life back, but i do find this harder to come off than the actual painkillers in the first place.

March 9, 2009 3:29 PM

Review by leo59:

Dolophine (methadone) for Pain: I have been on methadone for 5 years with no side effects and excellent pain relief. I take 30mgs 4 times a day

March 9, 2009 12:55 PM

Review by kris12:

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: Excellent for opiate withdrawals.

March 8, 2009 12:55 PM

Review by less pain:

For Pain: I was on roxicodone30 270 and lortab10 200 for severe low back and neck pain. I asked my doctor to take me off the lortabs and give me methadone for the breakthrough pain. I now take roxicodone and methadone for the breakthrough pain and am almost pain free.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2009 12:47 AM

Review by 1badz71:

For Pain: Had surgery on my head 6 times. Methadone is the only medicine that keeps my life together. I can function like a normal person, not all drugged up. The bad thing - other peoples inability to research the medicine and learn that it's not just for junkies! Gives us with real pain that " methadone, he must have been doing heroin". I would love to go in front of congress and tell them that methadone is probably the safest, least side effect medication I have ever taken. You need to get with your doctor and ask him to let you try methadone. The doctor would probably feel a lot better giving you a script for just methadone rather one for 'Oxys'.

March 3, 2009 3:41 AM