User Reviews for Pentasa

Learn more about Pentasa.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 1 reviews 73 medications

7.4
Ulcerative Proctitis 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Pentasa reviews 36 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Pentasa

For Crohn's Disease "I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago, and I am 15 years old. I take 400mg of Pentasa 3x daily along with other pills to stop inflammation. So far it's been working great. I still get abdominal pain occasionally which is a lot better than it used to be."

Hal. (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease "This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me."

Psych11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Pentasa has changed my life totally. Was going to toilet up to 10 times a day until I was prescribed this. Now I've got my freedom back. Brilliant! No side effects worth worrying about. Take 2 x 500mg slow release tablets twice a day."

Busylizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "The only reason I gave Pentasa a "9" rating instead of a "10" is due to my having to remember to take 8 capsules a day. This medication has allowed me to live a normal life again...no more excruciating gut pain & no more daily diarrhea. I can actually eat at restaurants now, without worrying when the pain & diarrhea will hit me. I have had no side effects from Pentasa. It has given my life back to me."

a.jackie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Within one month of starting on Pentasa all my Crohn's symptoms have been completely in remission and have remained so going on 5 years now."

TJ003 April 18, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Works well for me."

dippy di March 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "I had surgery removing 6" of my small intestines. In Dec. 2013 was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I have been taking Pentasa for about 3 months, since Jan. 2014. It has really helped me but I am losing handfuls of hair every day. I am also having dizzy spells. The hardest side effect to deal with is, every time I have a bowel movement, I have terrible itching inside my rectum. Otherwise I haven't noticed any other side effects yet."

sewing (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month."

Hotmomma1 January 28, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Significantly reduces my Crohn's symptoms."

dalq January 12, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "I had Crohn's with a resection 30 years ago and have been mostly in remission since. Have recently had a bad flare and narrowing at the anastomosis and need to be on medication, but haven't found one that I can handle. Asacol gave me such serious body aching and fatigue that I could not function. Pentasa immediately gave me heart palpitations and arrhythmias so I had to discontinue it."

Crohn7 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "I've had Cronhs since 2006. In 2011 I was put on Pentasa. It works if you take it as prescribed. I do admit I don't take my medications like I'm supposed to, but it does work."

mvillarreal1999 June 20, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups"

J. Mccartney June 19, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection."

Fionafire71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I've just started pentasa and so far so good I think! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 32 was on Asacol for most of that time but my doctor felt it was no longer working the way it needed to! I ended up in the hospital for 2 days due to severe dehydration 2 weeks ago! I had also lost 30lbs in the last 2 months. I have actually been able to eat the last couple of days and I'm not feeling the pain from eating!"

TikiTorch February 1, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have been on Pentasa 2 capsules 2x day first week feel amazing to not have all day tummy pain or cramping. Hope I have found something that will continue to work for me."

mn crohnie (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2012

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible."

happycamper110362 (taken for 10 years or more) December 5, 2012

For Crohn's Disease "I have had good results with this medicine."

Anonymous April 2, 2012

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was diagnosed in 1990 and for most of the time since, I have been on Pentasa. The only side effects I have had are: 1) slight increase in hair loss - I added extra Folic Acid to my vitamins and the hair loss greatly reduced. 2) I do not have confirmation, but I believe I react to the salicylates -I get a rush of burning red face after I take the medicines and after certain foods. All in all, these are pretty innocuous side effects compared to other options I was given. Thankfully I can stay well maintained on the Pentasa. Just wish it helped with fistulas too!"

Anonymous January 30, 2012

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I'm a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2011. I had a bowel resection at the end of September due to the severity of my illness. I've been taking Pentasa for about 3 months now and feel good, but my hair has been falling out like crazy. I read a normal person loses 50-100 strands a day, I'm losing probably triple that. It's really depressing, I'm switching to another medicine to see if that helps with the hair loss. Other than that I haven't had any side affects. Good luck!"

Anonymous December 26, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 2 months ago. Pentasa has helped to relieve the very severe stomach cramping I was experiencing before my diagnosis. This is the first treatment my doctor has given me but after a month of taking 4-250mg capsules 4 times a day (in combination with Budesonide 9m) I finally feel comfortable after eating. I'm not noticing any side effects yet. Maybe I'm lucky though after reading some of these other reviews. I wish I didn't have to take 16 of them each day, but to be able to stand up after a meal is wonderful for someone who used to keel over screaming and crying with a rock hard stomach after eating!"

Anonymous November 2, 2011

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "I took Pentasa for ulcerative colitis after Asacol started failing. Asacol had worked for me for seven years, but when P&G started having manufacturers making it in Europe, it no longer worked. The Pentasa worked for my ulcerative colitis at 3 grams per day dosage. The side effects are much worse for Pentasa. I experienced nausea, mild headaches and severe hair loss. "

Anonymous September 29, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have had Crohns disease for many years and have used many medications. I started using Pentasa in November and did very well until the last month, when I started having chest pains, heart palpitations. I am now off all medications, but continue to feel tired and weak. The past two years I have had reactions to all of the medications we have tried."

Anonymous March 19, 2011