User Reviews for Pentasa

Learn more about Pentasa.

Crohn's Disease 7 reviews 66 medications

Ulcerative Proctitis 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Pentasa reviews 30 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Pentasa

Review by a.jackie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Crohn's Disease: The only reason I gave Pentasa a "9" rating instead of a "10" is due to my having to remember to take 8 capsules a day. This medication has allowed me to live a normal life again...no more excruciating gut pain & no more daily diarrhea. I can actually eat at restaurants now, without worrying when the pain & diarrhea will hit me. I have had no side effects from Pentasa. It has given my life back to me.

June 20, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by TJ003:

For Crohn's Disease: Within one month of starting on Pentasa all my Crohn's symptoms have been completely in remission and have remained so going on 5 years now.

April 18, 2014 3:48 AM

Review by dippy di:

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Works well for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by sewing (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Crohn's Disease: I had surgery removing 6" of my small intestines. In Dec. 2013 was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I have been taking Pentasa for about 3 months, since Jan. 2014. It has really helped me but I am losing handfuls of hair every day. I am also having dizzy spells. The hardest side effect to deal with is, every time I have a bowel movement, I have terrible itching inside my rectum. Otherwise I haven't noticed any other side effects yet.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by Hotmomma1:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 5:11 PM

Review by dalq:

For Crohn's Disease: Significantly reduces my Crohn's symptoms.

January 12, 2014 5:05 PM

Review by Crohn7 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Crohn's Disease: I had Crohn's with a resection 30 years ago and have been mostly in remission since. Have recently had a bad flare and narrowing at the anastomosis and need to be on medication, but haven't found one that I can handle. Asacol gave me such serious body aching and fatigue that I could not function. Pentasa immediately gave me heart palpitations and arrhythmias so I had to discontinue it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2013 12:37 PM

Review by mvillarreal1999:

For Crohn's Disease: I've had Cronhs since 2006. In 2011 I was put on Pentasa. It works if you take it as prescribed. I do admit I don't take my medications like I'm supposed to, but it does work.

June 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Review by J. Mccartney:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Fionafire71 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection.

March 12, 2013 12:17 AM

Review by TikiTorch:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I've just started pentasa and so far so good I think! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 32 was on Asacol for most of that time but my doctor felt it was no longer working the way it needed to! I ended up in the hospital for 2 days due to severe dehydration 2 weeks ago! I had also lost 30lbs in the last 2 months. I have actually been able to eat the last couple of days and I'm not feeling the pain from eating!

February 1, 2013 12:59 PM

Review by mn crohnie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I have been on Pentasa 2 capsules 2x day first week feel amazing to not have all day tummy pain or cramping. Hope I have found something that will continue to work for me.

December 23, 2012 10:42 AM

Review by happycamper110362 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible.

December 5, 2012 7:57 PM

For Crohn's Disease: I have had good results with this medicine.

April 2, 2012 7:32 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was diagnosed in 1990 and for most of the time since, I have been on Pentasa. The only side effects I have had are: 1) slight increase in hair loss - I added extra Folic Acid to my vitamins and the hair loss greatly reduced. 2) I do not have confirmation, but I believe I react to the salicylates -I get a rush of burning red face after I take the medicines and after certain foods. All in all, these are pretty innocuous side effects compared to other options I was given. Thankfully I can stay well maintained on the Pentasa. Just wish it helped with fistulas too!

January 30, 2012 8:26 AM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I'm a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2011. I had a bowel resection at the end of September due to the severity of my illness. I've been taking Pentasa for about 3 months now and feel good, but my hair has been falling out like crazy. I read a normal person loses 50-100 strands a day, I'm losing probably triple that. It's really depressing, I'm switching to another medicine to see if that helps with the hair loss. Other than that I haven't had any side affects. Good luck!

December 26, 2011 8:01 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 2 months ago. Pentasa has helped to relieve the very severe stomach cramping I was experiencing before my diagnosis. This is the first treatment my doctor has given me but after a month of taking 4-250mg capsules 4 times a day (in combination with Budesonide 9m) I finally feel comfortable after eating. I'm not noticing any side effects yet. Maybe I'm lucky though after reading some of these other reviews. I wish I didn't have to take 16 of them each day, but to be able to stand up after a meal is wonderful for someone who used to keel over screaming and crying with a rock hard stomach after eating!

November 2, 2011 10:34 PM

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I took Pentasa for ulcerative colitis after Asacol started failing. Asacol had worked for me for seven years, but when P&G started having manufacturers making it in Europe, it no longer worked. The Pentasa worked for my ulcerative colitis at 3 grams per day dosage. The side effects are much worse for Pentasa. I experienced nausea, mild headaches and severe hair loss.

September 29, 2011 8:59 AM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I have had Crohns disease for many years and have used many medications. I started using Pentasa in November and did very well until the last month, when I started having chest pains, heart palpitations. I am now off all medications, but continue to feel tired and weak. The past two years I have had reactions to all of the medications we have tried.

March 19, 2011 12:49 PM

Review by mehastings:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I have been on Pentasa since 2002. 500mg anywhere from 2 a day to 6 a day and it has helped.

March 17, 2011 8:42 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: Pentasa is the only drug I take and it works great! Never have had any side affects. I was in horrible pain from the cramping until I started taking it over a year ago. I am very pleased with this medicine.

November 28, 2010 9:04 PM

Review by Gigi2195:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was diagnosed w/Crohn's in 2005 after having years of severe diarrhea, stomach pain/cramping & nausea. After a few weeks of taking the Pentasa (4 grams daily) I felt unbelievably better. Within the last year I have had lots of break through flares & have had to add other meds (6-MP & Humira shots). I have had an active flare since mid-December w/no relief. I have reduced my Pentasa to 2 grams a day because I had noticed that my nausea & other symptoms were more severe on the 4 grams. Even though I feel better my symptoms have not improved enough & I have to now add Remicade infussion therapy to my long list of meds. I think that these meds are helpful as long as they are adjusted depending on your symptoms.

February 25, 2010 12:52 AM

Review by reds_mrs:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: My husband has only been taking Pentasa for a few days, but he has had terrible side effects since day one. His Crohn's had become progressively worse over the years so his GI doctor prescribed Pentasa. He has chest pains, headaches, severe nausea and vomiting as well as loss of appetite. I saw that one person had to lower his dose after 3 weeks, and I wonder if that was due to his experience of these effects also. I know Pentasa has great potential, but how long will these effects last?

December 26, 2009 9:36 AM

Review by purplepenny28:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: The pain I have after eating is relieved if i take my medicine on time. Before this, I was unable to eat any foods without having loose stools and severe pain.

December 10, 2009 11:26 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: My child was diagnosed 05/06. Since that time the only major flare he has had was precipitated by the stomach flu. He is otherwise basically controlled with Pentasa.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate