User Reviews for Pentasa

Learn more about Pentasa.

Pentasa review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Pentasa to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Review by Hotmomma1:

I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 5:11 PM

Review by J. Mccartney:

Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Fionafire71 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection.

March 12, 2013 12:17 AM

Review by TikiTorch:

I've just started pentasa and so far so good I think! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 32 was on Asacol for most of that time but my doctor felt it was no longer working the way it needed to! I ended up in the hospital for 2 days due to severe dehydration 2 weeks ago! I had also lost 30lbs in the last 2 months. I have actually been able to eat the last couple of days and I'm not feeling the pain from eating!

February 1, 2013 12:59 PM

Review by mn crohnie (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Pentasa 2 capsules 2x day first week feel amazing to not have all day tummy pain or cramping. Hope I have found something that will continue to work for me.

December 23, 2012 10:42 AM

Review by happycamper110362 (taken for 10 years or more):

Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible.

December 5, 2012 7:57 PM

I was diagnosed in 1990 and for most of the time since, I have been on Pentasa. The only side effects I have had are: 1) slight increase in hair loss - I added extra Folic Acid to my vitamins and the hair loss greatly reduced. 2) I do not have confirmation, but I believe I react to the salicylates -I get a rush of burning red face after I take the medicines and after certain foods. All in all, these are pretty innocuous side effects compared to other options I was given. Thankfully I can stay well maintained on the Pentasa. Just wish it helped with fistulas too!

January 30, 2012 8:26 AM

I'm a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2011. I had a bowel resection at the end of September due to the severity of my illness. I've been taking Pentasa for about 3 months now and feel good, but my hair has been falling out like crazy. I read a normal person loses 50-100 strands a day, I'm losing probably triple that. It's really depressing, I'm switching to another medicine to see if that helps with the hair loss. Other than that I haven't had any side affects. Good luck!

December 26, 2011 8:01 PM

I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 2 months ago. Pentasa has helped to relieve the very severe stomach cramping I was experiencing before my diagnosis. This is the first treatment my doctor has given me but after a month of taking 4-250mg capsules 4 times a day (in combination with Budesonide 9m) I finally feel comfortable after eating. I'm not noticing any side effects yet. Maybe I'm lucky though after reading some of these other reviews. I wish I didn't have to take 16 of them each day, but to be able to stand up after a meal is wonderful for someone who used to keel over screaming and crying with a rock hard stomach after eating!

November 2, 2011 10:34 PM

I have had Crohns disease for many years and have used many medications. I started using Pentasa in November and did very well until the last month, when I started having chest pains, heart palpitations. I am now off all medications, but continue to feel tired and weak. The past two years I have had reactions to all of the medications we have tried.

March 19, 2011 12:49 PM

Review by mehastings:

I have been on Pentasa since 2002. 500mg anywhere from 2 a day to 6 a day and it has helped.

March 17, 2011 8:42 PM

Pentasa is the only drug I take and it works great! Never have had any side affects. I was in horrible pain from the cramping until I started taking it over a year ago. I am very pleased with this medicine.

November 28, 2010 9:04 PM

Review by Gigi2195:

I was diagnosed w/Crohn's in 2005 after having years of severe diarrhea, stomach pain/cramping & nausea. After a few weeks of taking the Pentasa (4 grams daily) I felt unbelievably better. Within the last year I have had lots of break through flares & have had to add other meds (6-MP & Humira shots). I have had an active flare since mid-December w/no relief. I have reduced my Pentasa to 2 grams a day because I had noticed that my nausea & other symptoms were more severe on the 4 grams. Even though I feel better my symptoms have not improved enough & I have to now add Remicade infussion therapy to my long list of meds. I think that these meds are helpful as long as they are adjusted depending on your symptoms.

February 25, 2010 12:52 AM

Review by reds_mrs:

My husband has only been taking Pentasa for a few days, but he has had terrible side effects since day one. His Crohn's had become progressively worse over the years so his GI doctor prescribed Pentasa. He has chest pains, headaches, severe nausea and vomiting as well as loss of appetite. I saw that one person had to lower his dose after 3 weeks, and I wonder if that was due to his experience of these effects also. I know Pentasa has great potential, but how long will these effects last?

December 26, 2009 9:36 AM

Review by purplepenny28:

The pain I have after eating is relieved if i take my medicine on time. Before this, I was unable to eat any foods without having loose stools and severe pain.

December 10, 2009 11:26 PM

My child was diagnosed 05/06. Since that time the only major flare he has had was precipitated by the stomach flu. He is otherwise basically controlled with Pentasa.

October 19, 2009 2:44 PM

Have controlled my flare ups with Crohn's, however have experienced more migraines.

October 16, 2009 1:11 AM

I have been taking Pentasa for about two months and my condition has improved. I had to lower the dosage after the first three weeks, but am doing well now.

September 19, 2009 3:03 PM

I tried several generic drugs but they did not work nearly as well as Pentasa.

May 24, 2009 8:24 PM

Review by Emma J.:

I have never had any significant side effects from Pentasa, and it has kept me feeling great.

March 26, 2009 11:17 AM

Review by remco54:

My Crohn's disease diagnosis followed a routine colonoscopy at age 54. I had unexplained bouts with diarrhea but never thought much of it. Pentasa reduced the frequency from about every three weeks to about every six-eight weeks, and appears to have reduced the inflammation. No obvious side effects, seems to be helping.

February 17, 2009 1:59 AM