User Reviews for Meperidine

Also known as: Demerol, Meperitab

Learn more about Meperidine.

Pain 53 reviews 910 medications

9.2
Light Sedation 5 reviews 31 medications

Summary of Meperidine reviews 58 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Meperidine

Review by Donna le Bête-Noire (taken for less than 1 month):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: The last 4 weeks of my pregnancy, I began suffering severe gall bladder issues. After birth, I tried to tough it out, due to nursing. Ten weeks later (14 weeks on) I was in pain unlike anything I'd ever known! A stone had passed out of my gall bladder into the common duct shared with the pancreas, and had lodged in my pancreas - I was also suffering severe pancreatitis. AGONY would've been a blessing. After trying numerous medicines that didn't touch the pain, I was given Demoral. OH! MY! GAWD! I was in tears, because for the first time in months, I didn't feel like I was on Death's door. I'd forgotten what it meant to be pain - free! Every few hours, beautiful nurses came, and "topped me off". My "con"? For the first 20 minutes, I couldn't shut up!

June 4, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Austin0533:

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: Got Demerol at ER when I had severe abdominal pain. I watched her inject it while I was sitting up. I immediately felt warm and got a head-rush. Great Medication, took ALL the pain away.

May 14, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by MzTT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Demerol (meperidine) for Light Sedation: My pain Doctor gives me this now along with Phenergan in I.M injection, prior to my epidural treatments, for my lower back (twisted tail bone), Bulging discs, neck epidurals, and botox for my migraines. This combination works very well for me in sedation and pain relief, so I can tolerate the epidurals. My system can't tolerate any other medicines very well, so I am thankful for Demerol, as it does not make me sick or have any hangover feeling.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by Flipjack:

Demerol (meperidine) for Light Sedation: Demerol stimulates me and during my last 3 mild sedation procedures the more Demerol they gave me the more stimulated I became, causing me to be wide awake during the procedures.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Krickee:

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: This medicine was given to me at hospital after my car accident. It worked great, except it made me nauseated and I vomited after a large dose. Works really well.

August 28, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by Sha:

For Pain: I took meperidine after surgery, it helped greatly for the pain for about 6 hrs. It also helps you sleep and get rest from pain. The only down side was throwing up when I first started taking it, so I had to take nausea pills with it at first.

May 3, 2013 10:08 PM

Review by minsue:

For Pain: Work great with no side effects. Doctors tell me that this medication has been discontinued which is bad for me because I could live normal every day life and function good on it with no addiction.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2013 2:15 AM

Review by ChocBrutus (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I have arthritis and have tried many over the counter medicines as Aspirin, Motrin, etc. These medicines increased my diastolic blood pressure upwards of 30 points. (I already have high blood pressure). The doctor then tried Oxycodone and again my BP went significantly up. Hydrocodone had the same result. As a last resort for a pain med I was given Demerol (50MG). No increase in BP and no side effects. It takes upwards of two hours to kick in but does a good job of numbing pain. Apparently I am sensitive to all NSAIDS. (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications).

March 27, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by DougPal:

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: Used for kidney stones and tooth operations. Made me sing like a Beatle.

February 18, 2013 4:06 PM

Review by lola99 (taken for less than 1 month):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I was given this for pain associated with Crohn's disease and for a migraine during a hospital stay. It works great for pain, lasting longer than Dilaudid. Only down side is both times it made me throw up even though I was given anti nausea medication 30 minutes beforehand.

February 10, 2013 10:29 AM

Review by Erocep:

Demerol (meperidine) for Light Sedation: I got my tonsils removed and so I have to take it and it makes my body feel tingly, and dizzy but that's also because I take it on an empty stomach since I cannot eat much, it also helps to put you to sleep and sleep through the pain

January 13, 2013 3:17 AM

Review by XcrossbonesX (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: This medicine is sadly being used less and less in the emergency rooms. I am tolerant to morphine and allergic to many other pain medications. Demerol not only stops the pain but it stops it for a good 14-16 hours if I am given 100 mg IM with 50 mg Gravol. I walk out of the ER on my own like I took a Tylenol. Takes a few hours to kick in but when it does I usually get the best 10-12 hours of sleep which helps decrease the pain since I can rest and let my muscles be at rest. I pray they do not discontinue this medicine. It helps many people for break through pain where others don't, especially for use people with CRPS and Fibromyalgia. It's a miracle medicine for me. I use this about 3 to 4 times a year if needed for breakthrough pain lasting more than 72 hours.

January 4, 2013 12:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: Excellent fast acing and long acting pain medicine without nausea and vomiting associated with most all other pain medications.

September 19, 2012 11:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I suffer from severe chronic Migraines. At least once a week I have to go in and get a shot. I hate to do it but the pain is so severe that that is the only option right now.

September 11, 2012 1:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: Just wanna say Demerol is the best pain reliever I've ever taken. I received in the ER through IV. I have Crohn's disease and it worked better then anything else I was given.

August 26, 2012 1:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: Great pain relief after abdominal surgery

June 1, 2012 12:34 AM

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I went into the hospital over the weekend for a pancreas attack. Nothing can be done for you other than pain management. I was given Demerol via IV and had the best sleep of my life that entire weekend. It was almost like a great vacation. It went in the IV, I said bye bye, and fell asleep for hours with no pain. I loved it, no withdrawal symptoms, no side effects.

March 7, 2012 1:58 AM

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I had a blood clot in my left lung. The pain, which morphine wouldn't even come close to touching, was unbearable. Every time I took a breath I would get a sharp stabbing pain. For 3 days I sat in a the chair in my hospital room because I couldn't lay back or put pressure on my back because of the pain. Then one night it got so bad that The nurse called my doctor and was able to give me a shot of Demerol. Needless to say that was the first night I actually slept and pretty comfortably I might add. Within 2 min of the shot the pain was completly gone and I could breath again.

February 7, 2012 11:15 PM

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I was in the ER for a broken orbital bone and they gave me a shot of Demerol and I felt like a million bucks. Instant relief. World's better than Morphine.

November 21, 2011 8:48 AM

Review by KidneyStoner:

For Pain: I just had a 14mm kidney stone removed surgically and now have a kidney stent. 2 days after the indwelling stent was placed I began having severe back and abdominal pain. In short intervals the pain was equivalent to a small kidney stone itself. I have been taking Lortab off and on for years for different reasons. I know that they wake me up. Needless to say I had 24 hour pain levels that didn't allow for sleep if I took the Lortab every 4 hours. I told my Doctor that but he wouldn't prescribe any 'sedative' pain relieving medicines. I called in the 3rd day after no sleep and said something MUST be done. He finally prescribed me Demerol 50mg. One didn't do that much however I upped my dose to 2 tablets and I'm currently almost pain free. Good night.

September 14, 2011 1:41 AM

Review by Sudio:

For Pain: This Meperitab has a bitter taste. Hard to take but manages the pain well.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2011 12:16 PM

Review by sick and in pain:

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: This medication even though only one half absorbed orally was the best pain medicine I have ever used for my Lupus pain. It worked fast and if I was not in Pain in 3-4 hrs. I did not have a hung over effect. I have not taken this medicine in several years because the pain medicines were swapped to Dilaudid for several years. Demerol is not as strong which was great and did not cause constipation.

July 6, 2011 1:45 AM

Review by Chala:

For Pain: Meperidine is the only medication I have found that eliminates the pain and relaxes me enough to get the rest I need after being in such horrible pain for sometimes many days...

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2011 2:11 PM

Demerol (meperidine) for Light Sedation: I was given this medicine during my colonoscopy. I'm an individual who is very sensitive to medications and I have an autoimmune disease. I don't like feeling drugged and this medicine gave me no side effects such as nausea or feelings as though I am dying as I had from morphine. I have had anesthesia too...unsure what was in that...but it also made me very nauseous. So this is a medicine I highly recommend if you need to have a medical procedure done but don't want to be completed sedated.

November 25, 2010 10:39 AM

Review by Jen197666:

Demerol (meperidine) for Pain: I have been suffering for years with my lower back and degeneration disease in lower back. I have been on everything imaginable from Lortabs to Roxicodone. Today I was given 100mg Demerol along with Lortab 10's. I feel like I'm living now instead of just existing!

September 2, 2010 2:44 PM