User Reviews for Memantine

Also known as: Namenda, Namenda XR

Learn more about Memantine.

Autism 1 reviews 7 medications

Migraine 1 reviews 67 medications

Alzheimer's Disease 14 reviews 26 medications

6.6
Summary of Memantine reviews 16 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Memantine

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mum who has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and was at the stage of being extremely confused about where she was and who close relatives were began taking memantine in January 2015. In short it has given me my mum back. Mum is now relatively alert, has markedly improved memory and is back in the present. I had never imagined such an improvement was possible. It's really strange to be having conversations with mum about what she was like before taking the drug. Viki"

Ella23 July 20, 2015

Namenda (memantine) for : "My mom was given Namenda and got worse. Had hallucinations and got to the point that she didnt know me got very aggressive."

jtk (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

Namenda XR (memantine) for : "My mother is on a dose of 21 mg NAMENDA XR and I think it is making her symptoms worse. She is very medication sensitive and I see her CHI as more depressed, forgetful, worrisome and confused. I will be discussing as always with her doctor But I feel she needs to be removed from this medicine. Plus on a side note it is nearly impossible to get this medicine, although that has nothing to do with her taking the medication."

clssyeyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife began the 4 stage process a couple of months ago, and I stopped it halfway through week 2 because she seemed to be getting more confused. We started again a month ago and are into the 2nd full dose, and I am very concerned that her condition is worse instead of better."

bsandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2014

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife tried to add Namenda as a component of combination therapy but after continuous bouts of bronchitis we terminated Namenda and, as a result, she was (in short order) able to get rid of the bronchitis. Since Namenda had seemed promising (initially, before bronchitis), we were very disappointed that it seemed necessary to eliminate that component of her treatment. Although our neurologist had not previously seen a case in which bronchitis was a side effect of Namenda, he suggested we try Namenda XR. We are thrilled that she has been able to take Namenda XR without experiencing such a side effect and that Namenda XR appears to be providing desired benefits."

Hubbycare April 15, 2014

For Migraine: "I began taking this medication on the recommendation of my neurologist for chronic migraines. I am currently taking Topamax and Elavil and I am attempting to get off the Topamax because the neuro felt it isn't helping any longer (I agree with her). I totally love the Namenda for my migraines!! All I can say is if you are wanting to try something different, please do try this. I have virtually no side effects...maybe the dizziness if I had to pick one, but overall, it is working better than I could have ever hoped!"

busymommy00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2013

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do."

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion."

KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Autism: "I was first prescribed this for Asperger's syndrome at the age of 24. I've been on numerous types of medications since I was a teenager, but this is the first one that I've been on that has significantly helped. My quality of life is much better, I don't have as many ruminating, obsessive thoughts that make me miserable."

Anonymous999 January 12, 2013

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon."

daughterconcern January 16, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine."

berbil November 21, 2011

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My father is 80 years old, uses memantine for two years now and experiences constipation and minor hallucinations as side effects."

Anonymous September 20, 2011

Namenda (memantine) for : "I have MS and NAMENDA has improved my cognitive problems significantly in just 2 weeks."

Anonymous February 24, 2011

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment."

kalck August 31, 2010

Namenda (memantine) for : "The side effect of dizziness and the associated tendency to fall were very bothersome. The hoped for improvement in mental clarity (which is intermittent at present and results in confusion at unpredictable times and places) did not occur -- in fact, I would have to say that I felt "spacey" on this medication rather than clearer in my thought processes. My doctor prescribed "off label" so that may explain my negative experience. On the other hand, I wonder if the Alzheimer's patients are able to adequately articulate to their caregivers that they feel certain side effects such as dizziness or "spacey" feelings. If not, the side effects could easily be attributed to the Alzheimer's disease rather than the medication."

Anonymous January 29, 2010

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient."

BDN JD May 20, 2009

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition."

Anonymous September 19, 2008

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate