User Reviews for Memantine

Also known as: Namenda, Namenda XR

Learn more about Memantine.

Autism 1 reviews 7 medications

Migraine 1 reviews 77 medications

Alzheimer's Disease 13 reviews 26 medications

4.6
Summary of Memantine reviews 15 reviews 5.0

Reviews for Memantine

Review by #1caregiver:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by bsandy (taken for less than 1 month):

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My wife began the 4 stage process a couple of months ago, and I stopped it halfway through week 2 because she seemed to be getting more confused. We started again a month ago and are into the 2nd full dose, and I am very concerned that her condition is worse instead of better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Hubbycare:

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My wife tried to add Namenda as a component of combination therapy but after continuous bouts of bronchitis we terminated Namenda and, as a result, she was (in short order) able to get rid of the bronchitis. Since Namenda had seemed promising (initially, before bronchitis), we were very disappointed that it seemed necessary to eliminate that component of her treatment. Although our neurologist had not previously seen a case in which bronchitis was a side effect of Namenda, he suggested we try Namenda XR. We are thrilled that she has been able to take Namenda XR without experiencing such a side effect and that Namenda XR appears to be providing desired benefits.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 5:35 PM

Review by busymommy00 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: I began taking this medication on the recommendation of my neurologist for chronic migraines. I am currently taking Topamax and Elavil and I am attempting to get off the Topamax because the neuro felt it isn't helping any longer (I agree with her). I totally love the Namenda for my migraines!! All I can say is if you are wanting to try something different, please do try this. I have virtually no side effects...maybe the dizziness if I had to pick one, but overall, it is working better than I could have ever hoped!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by Kerryokie:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do.

August 10, 2013 2:20 PM

Review by KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion.

July 26, 2013 4:50 PM

Review by Anonymous999:

For Autism: I was first prescribed this for Asperger's syndrome at the age of 24. I've been on numerous types of medications since I was a teenager, but this is the first one that I've been on that has significantly helped. My quality of life is much better, I don't have as many ruminating, obsessive thoughts that make me miserable.

January 12, 2013 4:21 AM

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2012 7:32 PM

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration.

February 18, 2012 2:21 PM

Review by daughterconcern:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2012 1:08 PM

Review by berbil:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine.

November 21, 2011 3:41 PM

For Alzheimer's Disease: My father is 80 years old, uses memantine for two years now and experiences constipation and minor hallucinations as side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2011 4:33 PM

Namenda (memantine) for : I have MS and NAMENDA has improved my cognitive problems significantly in just 2 weeks.

February 24, 2011 5:04 AM

Review by kalck:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment.

August 31, 2010 4:29 PM

Namenda (memantine) for : The side effect of dizziness and the associated tendency to fall were very bothersome. The hoped for improvement in mental clarity (which is intermittent at present and results in confusion at unpredictable times and places) did not occur -- in fact, I would have to say that I felt "spacey" on this medication rather than clearer in my thought processes. My doctor prescribed "off label" so that may explain my negative experience. On the other hand, I wonder if the Alzheimer's patients are able to adequately articulate to their caregivers that they feel certain side effects such as dizziness or "spacey" feelings. If not, the side effects could easily be attributed to the Alzheimer's disease rather than the medication.

January 29, 2010 4:14 AM

Review by BDN JD:

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2009 12:03 AM

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2008 5:56 PM