Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

Review by Night shifter:

Changing from day shift to night shift is extremely difficult. Melatonin worked great and I woke up refreshed. Worked on first day!!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 11:44 PM

Review by foxt gr gr (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Had all of the side effects you listed.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 5:14 PM

Review by afarr:

My psychiatrist recommended that I try 5mg of melatonin instead of other OTC sleep aids. I have anxiety disorder and have trouble not worrying about intruders at night. I took this 30 minutes before bed time and I felt extremely tired within an hour. That was nice. I woke up an hour later from I'm not sure what. Easy to go back to sleep. Then a total of 3 hours later, I woke up gasping for air. From a nightmare a presume, although I couldn't remember the nightmare. I then woke up around 5am from my neighbors in my apartment building. I felt alert but made it back to sleep. I then was not able to wake up the rest of the morning. I couldn't get up to go to work and I still feel tired at noon the next day. Wondering how to move forward.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by RiverTat2u:

For Insomnia; I tried a 10mg and I was knocked out cold sleeping for my 8 hours right through the night worked amazing, so happy to find this instead of my dr having me taking 2mg lorazepam to sleep. Now I can stop the prescription and stick to a healthier way of sleeping. I find this works great highly recommended for sure.

February 10, 2015 10:07 AM

Review by Redroy (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had sleep problems for twenty years now due to pressure of work & probably a predispostion to insomnia. Have used various sleep aids benzodiazepines, diphenhydramine, etc. I am affected by both difficulty going to sleep & staying asleep. Recent reports concerning sleep aids & Alzheimers put me off using. Melatonin not implicated as far as I know so I have turned back to that!! Dosage 6mg slow release one hour before bedtime. As on previous occasions it is mild with no noticeable side effects. Worth a try!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 2:24 AM

Review by Eco:

I have been on prescription Ambien for over a year now. Last month, I decided to take a more natural approach to sleep. It was nerve wrecking at first, and I had terrible insomnia. Then I started taking melatonin. The first night I got a full 8 hours. As long as I keep a sleep schedule, this stuff is amazing. Note: take half your dose in the afternoon and half an hour before bed. Sleep at the same time each night.

January 18, 2015 9:47 PM

Review by PBear:

I'm a 51yo woman who has had problems sleeping (falling asleep and staying asleep) for about 5 years. I've been taking 5mg melatonin at night for about a month. My sleep is no better. What I did notice is that I'm more tired during the day now.

January 17, 2015 10:06 AM

Review by NJRetiree (taken for less than 1 month):

Had 8 all night insomnia incidents in last month. Never had insomnia before. Have tried hypnosis tapes, alchohol and melatonin to sleep. Took 3mg melatonin with chamomile capsule at 3AM. Sleep snuck up on me without warning and I slept until 10AM. Next night, same thing, took another 3mg melatonin at 4AM - no effect. Felt flat day after taking it, dopey after no effect.

October 8, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by Jewl:

My 90 yr old mother who has dementia takes 0.5mg before bed and helped the first night and continues. Also takes 0.5mg in morning. Aggressive and anxiety behavior from dementia "sundowning" have decreased.

October 2, 2014 6:45 PM

Review by mrs.mahone:

I have had sleeping problems for a very long time, I'm 14 years old. I've taken Melatonin for about three months and I see no and feel no difference in my sleep problems. I have taken extra doses and it doesn't seem to work.

May 6, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 52 year old female. My ability to get a full nights sleep has steadily declined since a hysterectomy 10 years ago. I am lucky to get 4 hours sleep a night. Occasionally, none. I tried everything, including prescription sleeping pills but quit them after 4 nights of use. Took two 3 mg tablets of natures bounty melatonin and was off to sleep in less than an hour. Slept well only woke couple of times during night but quickly fell back to sleep. Feel refreshed in the morning.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 10:41 AM

Review by Ratpat:

It works well, although I feel depressed and super drowsy when I take too much. And when I don't take the pill, I feel like I can't reach deep sleep even if I was tired. Don't listen to the people taking 3 mg and over. That is way too much. The body produces 0.8 mg of melatonin naturally for your sleeping purpose. I take 1 mg at the max approximately 1 hour and a half before going to bed and keep functioning until I start feeling tired. I stay away from a screen with blue light.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2013 2:11 PM

Review by pj9860 (taken for less than 1 month):

Had sleep problems a long time, especially regulating sleep patterns. Took 5mg of Melatonin for the first time last night. Within 30mins felt drowsy, went to bed and fell asleep immediately, woke up this morning feeling refreshed. Would certainly recommend and use again.

October 14, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by elsie06:

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it's difficult. I have noticed that if I do not fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking melatonin, I end up tossing and turning for most of the night. The worst part is I feel as though I have to constantly stretch my legs.

September 27, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by Claytz86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking Melatonin for a few months now, for delayed sleep phase syndrome and it has helped with sleep dramatically about half of the time. The rest of the time, I still usually get to sleep at my "normal" time around 2:30-3:30am. The problem with this is it's unreliable. You never know when it'll work and when it won't. And there are times when it just doesn't. I will keep taking it though.

September 25, 2013 11:30 AM

Review by lilslimshady:

Melatonin is great for me I'm 14 and I can't sleep and I've taken 10 or 15 mg before, now I'm on 20 mg right now.

July 26, 2013 5:50 AM

Review by J J M:

Works for me, I think it is safe to take regularly.

June 23, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by BelCan:

I have a high metaboliam. Nights are a challenge for sleep for me. I have found that a 5mg melatonin helps me to sleep within an hour. Benadryl or products added to sleep aides work backwards, by keeping me awake.

February 19, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by Grannywills:

I normally take Valarian Root to sleep. I ran out and I have heard a lot about Melitonin OTC. Not for me. I took it about 2 1/2 hours ago and still wide awake. I am glad it works for all of the ones I have read the review on but I almost feel like it is a caffiene high. I don't drink caffiene. I will go back to my Valarian Root tomorrow so I can sleep.

February 1, 2013 1:10 AM

Review by Hope876:

I took melatonin for a good nights sleep and instead was up all night jumping out of my sleep. It seemed to make me nervous and have rapid heart beat. I'm done taking this.

January 15, 2013 11:47 AM

Review by nctrucker (taken for less than 1 month):

While it helped me to sleep, I awoke feeling drowsiness most of the day. It was only 3 mg. I question if I will continue, because I cannot go to work drowsy.

January 13, 2013 9:47 AM

Review by ms158 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've tried numerous prescription sleep aids. I'm on 50 mg of Adderall throughout the day so I definitely have trouble winding down at night. Ambien and similar prescription medicines only made the insomnia problem worse, buy adding hallucinations to the mix. A friend recommended I try Melatonin. It's fairly inexpensive, and if I take 3 about 30 minutes before bed I have a full nights sleep and feel rested in the morning. No weird side effects, like I experienced with the prescriptions I've tried. Works much better than Unisom or Tylenol PM. I suggest it to everyone I know having sleeping issues.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2012 11:58 PM

Review by saratonk (taken for less than 1 month):

Didnt work for me, within an hour of taking it I had hives, also seemed to irritate my bladder so I was up peeing every half hour until 3 am! I do suffer from urticaria so its probably more about me than the product. Disappointed as I was hoping it would help me sleep. But itching and peeing does not make a restful night! I stopped taking it after nights.

July 15, 2012 2:47 PM

Review by MissyB67 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used 3mg melatonin in the past with a good result. Recently I saw 5 and 10mg pills at the pharmacy and tried the 5mg. This time I experienced great difficulty breathing. Very glad I didn't buy the 10mg. I seem to always be the exception to the rule and melatonin probably works great for anybody else. Just start with a low dose for sure.

July 8, 2012 1:34 AM

Review by ihatepasswords (taken for less than 1 month):

Not a good experience. Nightmares and restless sleep.

June 12, 2012 3:08 PM