User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

"Am 90 year old male with enlarged prostate using 5 mg Zolpidem tartrate per night along with 1/2 PM pill..Getting up about twice per night for urination but never getting more than 5-6 hours of sleep per night.Tried 10 mg Melatonin with no other sleep aid and did find it put me to sleep easily but had to get up to pee 4 times... between 9PM and 4 AM... Doctors these days are trying to minimize use of Zolpidem( generic Ambien) and replaced the initial prescription from 10 MG Zolpidem, which worked very very well for me, with 5 MG, which is noticerably less effective.. so, tried Melatonin..This is third night with only Melatonin and between 9PM and 2AM, I was awakened for 3 pee trips..Will go back to Zolpidem and PM pill combination."

Oneoldman (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

"Changing from day shift to night shift is extremely difficult. Melatonin worked great and I woke up refreshed. Worked on first day!!"

Night shifter March 20, 2015

"Had all of the side effects you listed."

foxt gr gr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2015

"I bought melatonin 5mg. The first time I ever took it I didn't notice any difference. I still couldn't sleep and still woke up during the day. 6 months later, I decided to give it another try. I took one 5mg and it did nothing, so I decided to up my dose. The next night I took 10 mg about 30 to 40 minutes before sleeping. I kid you not I fell asleep so fast I didn't know what hit me. I slept without waking up for a complete 8 hours and didn't feel tired when I woke up. This has seriously helped me a lot. It had been years due to insomnia and scoliosis since I've had day much less months of good sleep. I highly recommend it. Play around with doses. Add 1/2 the dose or a whole pill of the dose you are already taking if it isn't working for you."

Dina S P (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2015

"I'm 49, menopausal and I am detoxing methadone (for cancer pain) and every night I find myself wide awake, body and mind despite Rx sleeping pills. I was taking 2- 3mg tabs of melatonin with fairly good results. I have since learned that that is considered a high dose. However I picked up a new bottle and inadvertently got 5mg tabs so for 4 nights I was taking 10mg and it had an opposite effect. I was anxious, my heart was racing, I became quite depressed through the day, and of course I was wide awake. So if you are having any of those problems with melatonin then maybe try a lower dose. I have since learned that a body normally makes .3mg/day so much lower doses make sense. Sweet dreams..."

smad (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2015

"My psychiatrist recommended that I try 5mg of melatonin instead of other OTC sleep aids. I have anxiety disorder and have trouble not worrying about intruders at night. I took this 30 minutes before bed time and I felt extremely tired within an hour. That was nice. I woke up an hour later from I'm not sure what. Easy to go back to sleep. Then a total of 3 hours later, I woke up gasping for air. From a nightmare a presume, although I couldn't remember the nightmare. I then woke up around 5am from my neighbors in my apartment building. I felt alert but made it back to sleep. I then was not able to wake up the rest of the morning. I couldn't get up to go to work and I still feel tired at noon the next day. Wondering how to move forward."

afarr February 10, 2015

"For Insomnia; I tried a 10mg and I was knocked out cold sleeping for my 8 hours right through the night worked amazing, so happy to find this instead of my dr having me taking 2mg lorazepam to sleep. Now I can stop the prescription and stick to a healthier way of sleeping. I find this works great highly recommended for sure."

RiverTat2u February 10, 2015

"I have had sleep problems for twenty years now due to pressure of work & probably a predispostion to insomnia. Have used various sleep aids benzodiazepines, diphenhydramine, etc. I am affected by both difficulty going to sleep & staying asleep. Recent reports concerning sleep aids & Alzheimers put me off using. Melatonin not implicated as far as I know so I have turned back to that!! Dosage 6mg slow release one hour before bedtime. As on previous occasions it is mild with no noticeable side effects. Worth a try!"

Redroy (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

"I have been on prescription Ambien for over a year now. Last month, I decided to take a more natural approach to sleep. It was nerve wrecking at first, and I had terrible insomnia. Then I started taking melatonin. The first night I got a full 8 hours. As long as I keep a sleep schedule, this stuff is amazing. Note: take half your dose in the afternoon and half an hour before bed. Sleep at the same time each night."

Eco January 18, 2015

"I'm a 51yo woman who has had problems sleeping (falling asleep and staying asleep) for about 5 years. I've been taking 5mg melatonin at night for about a month. My sleep is no better. What I did notice is that I'm more tired during the day now. "

PBear January 17, 2015

"Had 8 all night insomnia incidents in last month. Never had insomnia before. Have tried hypnosis tapes, alchohol and melatonin to sleep. Took 3mg melatonin with chamomile capsule at 3AM. Sleep snuck up on me without warning and I slept until 10AM. Next night, same thing, took another 3mg melatonin at 4AM - no effect. Felt flat day after taking it, dopey after no effect."

NJRetiree (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

"My 90 yr old mother who has dementia takes 0.5mg before bed and helped the first night and continues. Also takes 0.5mg in morning. Aggressive and anxiety behavior from dementia "sundowning" have decreased."

Jewl October 2, 2014

"I have had sleeping problems for a very long time, I'm 14 years old. I've taken Melatonin for about three months and I see no and feel no difference in my sleep problems. I have taken extra doses and it doesn't seem to work."

mrs.mahone May 6, 2014

"I am 52 year old female. My ability to get a full nights sleep has steadily declined since a hysterectomy 10 years ago. I am lucky to get 4 hours sleep a night. Occasionally, none. I tried everything, including prescription sleeping pills but quit them after 4 nights of use. Took two 3 mg tablets of natures bounty melatonin and was off to sleep in less than an hour. Slept well only woke couple of times during night but quickly fell back to sleep. Feel refreshed in the morning."

slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works well, although I feel depressed and super drowsy when I take too much. And when I don't take the pill, I feel like I can't reach deep sleep even if I was tired. Don't listen to the people taking 3 mg and over. That is way too much. The body produces 0.8 mg of melatonin naturally for your sleeping purpose. I take 1 mg at the max approximately 1 hour and a half before going to bed and keep functioning until I start feeling tired. I stay away from a screen with blue light."

Ratpat December 2, 2013

"Had sleep problems a long time, especially regulating sleep patterns. Took 5mg of Melatonin for the first time last night. Within 30mins felt drowsy, went to bed and fell asleep immediately, woke up this morning feeling refreshed. Would certainly recommend and use again."

pj9860 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it's difficult. I have noticed that if I do not fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking melatonin, I end up tossing and turning for most of the night. The worst part is I feel as though I have to constantly stretch my legs."

elsie06 September 27, 2013

"I've been taking Melatonin for a few months now, for delayed sleep phase syndrome and it has helped with sleep dramatically about half of the time. The rest of the time, I still usually get to sleep at my "normal" time around 2:30-3:30am. The problem with this is it's unreliable. You never know when it'll work and when it won't. And there are times when it just doesn't. I will keep taking it though."

Claytz86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2013

"Melatonin is great for me I'm 14 and I can't sleep and I've taken 10 or 15 mg before, now I'm on 20 mg right now. "

lilslimshady July 26, 2013

"Works for me, I think it is safe to take regularly."

J J M June 23, 2013

"I have a high metaboliam. Nights are a challenge for sleep for me. I have found that a 5mg melatonin helps me to sleep within an hour. Benadryl or products added to sleep aides work backwards, by keeping me awake."

BelCan February 19, 2013

"I normally take Valarian Root to sleep. I ran out and I have heard a lot about Melitonin OTC. Not for me. I took it about 2 1/2 hours ago and still wide awake. I am glad it works for all of the ones I have read the review on but I almost feel like it is a caffiene high. I don't drink caffiene. I will go back to my Valarian Root tomorrow so I can sleep."

Grannywills February 1, 2013

"I took melatonin for a good nights sleep and instead was up all night jumping out of my sleep. It seemed to make me nervous and have rapid heart beat. I'm done taking this."

Hope876 January 15, 2013

"While it helped me to sleep, I awoke feeling drowsiness most of the day. It was only 3 mg. I question if I will continue, because I cannot go to work drowsy."

nctrucker (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2013

"I've tried numerous prescription sleep aids. I'm on 50 mg of Adderall throughout the day so I definitely have trouble winding down at night. Ambien and similar prescription medicines only made the insomnia problem worse, buy adding hallucinations to the mix. A friend recommended I try Melatonin. It's fairly inexpensive, and if I take 3 about 30 minutes before bed I have a full nights sleep and feel rested in the morning. No weird side effects, like I experienced with the prescriptions I've tried. Works much better than Unisom or Tylenol PM. I suggest it to everyone I know having sleeping issues."

ms158 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2012