User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

Review by mrs.mahone:

I have had sleeping problems for a very long time, I'm 14 years old. I've taken Melatonin for about three months and I see no and feel no difference in my sleep problems. I have taken extra doses and it doesn't seem to work.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 52 year old female. My ability to get a full nights sleep has steadily declined since a hysterectomy 10 years ago. I am lucky to get 4 hours sleep a night. Occasionally, none. I tried everything, including prescription sleeping pills but quit them after 4 nights of use. Took two 3 mg tablets of natures bounty melatonin and was off to sleep in less than an hour. Slept well only woke couple of times during night but quickly fell back to sleep. Feel refreshed in the morning.

December 29, 2013 10:41 AM

Review by Ratpat:

It works well, although I feel depressed and super drowsy when I take too much. And when I don't take the pill, I feel like I can't reach deep sleep even if I was tired. Don't listen to the people taking 3 mg and over. That is way too much. The body produces 0.8 mg of melatonin naturally for your sleeping purpose. I take 1 mg at the max approximately 1 hour and a half before going to bed and keep functioning until I start feeling tired. I stay away from a screen with blue light.

December 2, 2013 2:11 PM

Review by pj9860 (taken for less than 1 month):

Had sleep problems a long time, especially regulating sleep patterns. Took 5mg of Melatonin for the first time last night. Within 30mins felt drowsy, went to bed and fell asleep immediately, woke up this morning feeling refreshed. Would certainly recommend and use again.

October 14, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by elsie06:

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it's difficult. I have noticed that if I do not fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking melatonin, I end up tossing and turning for most of the night. The worst part is I feel as though I have to constantly stretch my legs.

September 27, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by Claytz86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking Melatonin for a few months now, for delayed sleep phase syndrome and it has helped with sleep dramatically about half of the time. The rest of the time, I still usually get to sleep at my "normal" time around 2:30-3:30am. The problem with this is it's unreliable. You never know when it'll work and when it won't. And there are times when it just doesn't. I will keep taking it though.

September 25, 2013 11:30 AM

Review by lilslimshady:

Melatonin is great for me I'm 14 and I can't sleep and I've taken 10 or 15 mg before, now I'm on 20 mg right now.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 5:50 AM

Review by J J M:

Works for me, I think it is safe to take regularly.

June 23, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by BelCan:

I have a high metaboliam. Nights are a challenge for sleep for me. I have found that a 5mg melatonin helps me to sleep within an hour. Benadryl or products added to sleep aides work backwards, by keeping me awake.

February 19, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by Grannywills:

I normally take Valarian Root to sleep. I ran out and I have heard a lot about Melitonin OTC. Not for me. I took it about 2 1/2 hours ago and still wide awake. I am glad it works for all of the ones I have read the review on but I almost feel like it is a caffiene high. I don't drink caffiene. I will go back to my Valarian Root tomorrow so I can sleep.

February 1, 2013 1:10 AM

Review by Hope876:

I took melatonin for a good nights sleep and instead was up all night jumping out of my sleep. It seemed to make me nervous and have rapid heart beat. I'm done taking this.

January 15, 2013 11:47 AM

Review by nctrucker (taken for less than 1 month):

While it helped me to sleep, I awoke feeling drowsiness most of the day. It was only 3 mg. I question if I will continue, because I cannot go to work drowsy.

January 13, 2013 9:47 AM

Review by ms158 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've tried numerous prescription sleep aids. I'm on 50 mg of Adderall throughout the day so I definitely have trouble winding down at night. Ambien and similar prescription medicines only made the insomnia problem worse, buy adding hallucinations to the mix. A friend recommended I try Melatonin. It's fairly inexpensive, and if I take 3 about 30 minutes before bed I have a full nights sleep and feel rested in the morning. No weird side effects, like I experienced with the prescriptions I've tried. Works much better than Unisom or Tylenol PM. I suggest it to everyone I know having sleeping issues.

December 6, 2012 11:58 PM

Review by saratonk (taken for less than 1 month):

Didnt work for me, within an hour of taking it I had hives, also seemed to irritate my bladder so I was up peeing every half hour until 3 am! I do suffer from urticaria so its probably more about me than the product. Disappointed as I was hoping it would help me sleep. But itching and peeing does not make a restful night! I stopped taking it after nights.

July 15, 2012 2:47 PM

Review by MissyB67 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used 3mg melatonin in the past with a good result. Recently I saw 5 and 10mg pills at the pharmacy and tried the 5mg. This time I experienced great difficulty breathing. Very glad I didn't buy the 10mg. I seem to always be the exception to the rule and melatonin probably works great for anybody else. Just start with a low dose for sure.

July 8, 2012 1:34 AM

Review by ihatepasswords (taken for less than 1 month):

Not a good experience. Nightmares and restless sleep.

June 12, 2012 3:08 PM

Made me slightly tired, but did not help me fall asleep. Also makes me pretty nauseous to the point that it is uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach.

March 22, 2012 10:33 PM

Review by bekey:

I have had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep for a long time, but with 3 mg of melatonin I fall asleep fast and stay asleep which is very nice.

March 9, 2012 1:25 AM

Review by BlakeBomb:

I haven't slept like this since I was a baby. My dreams aren't as weird and I sleep faster although jet lag may occur. It's totally worth it.

March 2, 2012 4:31 PM

Melatonin does not help me at all. I tried many times with 6 mg, no help to my sleep. Next time, I will try 9 mg.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 4:08 AM

Review by chanterelle:

I have tried 3, 5 and 10 mg of Melatonin for the past few weeks with zero relief from insomnia. I cannot even tell I've taken anything! Whilst I am pleased it helps so many I really wish it would help me, too. Guess I will continue taking Zopiclone!

September 18, 2011 11:23 PM

I've tried many different cures for insomnia, including OTC, homeopathic and prescription drugs. Of them all, melatonin has the least bad side effects and most natural feeling sleep and rest. It's like being a teenager again...remember how easy it was to fall asleep at any time during the day back when you were 15? Its just like that and sometimes I dream too, though these dreams can often be vivid and disturbing. I take time release pills, one 3mg pill per night is sufficient for a full, undisturbed 8 hours of sound sleep.

September 6, 2011 12:59 AM

I like it. It helps me go to bed at night even though I am afraid to because of my nightmares.

August 30, 2011 8:48 PM

My 7yr old granddaughter has been told to take this by her doctor for sleep, otherwise she is up all night due to hyperactivity. I highly recommend this herb to anyone in need. She takes 5 mg a night for almost 4 yrs now. Ask your child's doctor first PLEASE!

July 27, 2011 3:24 PM

Review by jared_el_guay:

Recommended by my Doctor, very helpful for inducing restful sleep.

May 12, 2011 5:11 PM