User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Endometrial Hyperplasia

Review by 60 year old:

I have endometrial hyperplasia without atypia and my insurance refuses a hysterectomy. I have been on megestrol now for over 2 1/2 months. 40mgs twice a day. Hot flashes, insomnia and bleeding, BUT I have been shedding the excess tissue of my hyperplasia. I go back in 2 weeks for yet another biopsy and will see if the hyperplasia is gone. One other effect is very strong urine from this medicine. I had tried regular progesterone and I could not tolerate it. Major bleeding and egg sized clots. So far megesterol is working for me. Time will tell, but I am hopeful of being able to stop taking it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by jademoe125 (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been on Megestrol for a little over 10 years. Started with 40mg at first for about 6 years now down to 20mg. This medication worked great for the endometrial hyperplasia, however there are side effects. The side effects I noticed were my hair was falling out, I have a weaker stomach, low sexual desire (dosage was changed to 20mg). My hair came back but the others are still there. Comparing the side effects to it's effectiveness, I still take Megestrol as of today.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by LindaJBU (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Megace (megestrol): Took 20mgs. of Megase for 4 months then 10mgs. for another 3 months and had NO side effects whatsoever. (I actually managed to lose some weight while taking this medicine.) It took some time for my complex hyperplasia without atypia to clear up, but my latest biopsy was clear from all hyperplasias and now on a regime of 10mgs. of Provera and will go back for a follow up in another 2 months. (I was actually kind of worried to change to Provera as I did so well and had no negative side effects while taking the Megace.)

December 30, 2012 8:35 AM

Review by T-oski:

Megace (megestrol): At the six week point I began bleeding and have been bleeding heavily for two weeks. Also swelling of feet and ankles as well as a weird 'whooshing' sound in my ear. I think the Megestrol turned on me.

July 30, 2009 9:10 AM