User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Endometrial Hyperplasia

Megace (megestrol): "This was by far the most horrible medication I've been on in my life. It did end the endometrial precancerous condition, but at great cost to my body and mind. The doctors also don't tell you it is a steriod. My side effects included: Joint pain everywhere - steriods eat away the joints over time High blood pressure - I didn't have it before this medication, and I do now Edema everywhere - including hands and face Hypoglycemia - had to drink orange juice and eat small meals to keep it under control. Nightmares and bad dreams - I never seemed to be able to get a deep sleep Fatigue Unable to truly experience joy or emotion except anger Emotionally brittle - had to lie down whenever I got upset (and more than this will allow me to type)"

A Rose by any other name (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2015

Megace (megestrol): "I took this after I had surgery on my ovaries. It gave me bad insomnia, hot flashes and really bad weight gain. Once I was off of it I was ok. I am once again on Megace for Hyperplasia and I am experiencing hot flashes and weight gain once again, but now within the month that I have been taking it my blood sugar is going up and I am fatigued all the time."

mackka December 3, 2014

"I have endometrial hyperplasia without atypia and my insurance refuses a hysterectomy. I have been on megestrol now for over 2 1/2 months. 40mgs twice a day. Hot flashes, insomnia and bleeding, BUT I have been shedding the excess tissue of my hyperplasia. I go back in 2 weeks for yet another biopsy and will see if the hyperplasia is gone. One other effect is very strong urine from this medicine. I had tried regular progesterone and I could not tolerate it. Major bleeding and egg sized clots. So far megesterol is working for me. Time will tell, but I am hopeful of being able to stop taking it."

60 year old October 8, 2013

"I've been on Megestrol for a little over 10 years. Started with 40mg at first for about 6 years now down to 20mg. This medication worked great for the endometrial hyperplasia, however there are side effects. The side effects I noticed were my hair was falling out, I have a weaker stomach, low sexual desire (dosage was changed to 20mg). My hair came back but the others are still there. Comparing the side effects to it's effectiveness, I still take Megestrol as of today."

jademoe125 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2013

Megace (megestrol): "Took 20mgs. of Megase for 4 months then 10mgs. for another 3 months and had NO side effects whatsoever. (I actually managed to lose some weight while taking this medicine.) It took some time for my complex hyperplasia without atypia to clear up, but my latest biopsy was clear from all hyperplasias and now on a regime of 10mgs. of Provera and will go back for a follow up in another 2 months. (I was actually kind of worried to change to Provera as I did so well and had no negative side effects while taking the Megace.)"

LindaJBU (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2012

Megace (megestrol): "At the six week point I began bleeding and have been bleeding heavily for two weeks. Also swelling of feet and ankles as well as a weird 'whooshing' sound in my ear. I think the Megestrol turned on me."

T-oski July 30, 2009