User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Megestrol Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 143 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after Dand C.i started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger Also even hair a started falling out. Very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

"Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after D&C. I started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger. Even my hair started falling out..very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

"I have large fibroids and had such heavy bleeding that I had to have a blood transfusion. I have been taking Megestrol for 7 months and it has reduced my period to just spotting for a few days. A God send, since my iron and blood levels have gone up to normal. I cut the dose in half to 200 mg/day and it still works. Unfortunately, I have experienced weight gain, depression, fleeting pains in my body, worsened vision, joint stiffness, and more susceptibility to Candida. On the higher dose (400mg/day), I had some spontaneous bruising and ankle swelling. I am having a hysterectomy soon and will stop using this but thankfully the benefits outweighed the risks for me--at least short term."

JulieinColorado April 22, 2014

"This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2012

"I began using this medicine after having very heavy bleeding for 2 month straight. My periods were pretty regular until then. I was in tears when I went to see my doctor. He gave me this pill and it stopped the bleeding within 1 day. It was great. Took it for about 5 days. It has now been 4 weeks and have not seen a sign of its return. I did not have any severe side effects on it except that I was a little emotionally edgy for about 3 days or so. I just kept to myself and made no important decisions for the week. Hope this helps."

Ame3 August 25, 2010

Megace (megestrol): "I have been on Megace for the past three months. I have just finished it and have had no side effects at all except a little rash under my left breast line but that could also be the dry electrical heating as well but otherwise I haven't any breakthrough bleeding or weight gain or anything else. I go back to my doctor on March 20th, 2009 in two weeks and we will see what she says. I guess I went to her because of severe lower back aches and frequent bleeding as well as a lot of abdominal pain. I had no problems at all on Megace."

Bonnie-Lynn March 4, 2009

Megace (megestrol): "For abnormal bleeding with no known cause this medicine has been a God send for me. Instead of having my period 365 days a year, I don't get any now."

Anonymous November 14, 2008

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding