Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by JulieinColorado:

I have large fibroids and had such heavy bleeding that I had to have a blood transfusion. I have been taking Megestrol for 7 months and it has reduced my period to just spotting for a few days. A God send, since my iron and blood levels have gone up to normal. I cut the dose in half to 200 mg/day and it still works. Unfortunately, I have experienced weight gain, depression, fleeting pains in my body, worsened vision, joint stiffness, and more susceptibility to Candida. On the higher dose (400mg/day), I had some spontaneous bruising and ankle swelling. I am having a hysterectomy soon and will stop using this but thankfully the benefits outweighed the risks for me--at least short term.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2014 4:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects.

June 8, 2012 3:47 PM

Review by Ame3:

I began using this medicine after having very heavy bleeding for 2 month straight. My periods were pretty regular until then. I was in tears when I went to see my doctor. He gave me this pill and it stopped the bleeding within 1 day. It was great. Took it for about 5 days. It has now been 4 weeks and have not seen a sign of its return. I did not have any severe side effects on it except that I was a little emotionally edgy for about 3 days or so. I just kept to myself and made no important decisions for the week. Hope this helps.

August 25, 2010 4:16 PM

Review by Bonnie-Lynn:

Megace (megestrol): I have been on Megace for the past three months. I have just finished it and have had no side effects at all except a little rash under my left breast line but that could also be the dry electrical heating as well but otherwise I haven't any breakthrough bleeding or weight gain or anything else. I go back to my doctor on March 20th, 2009 in two weeks and we will see what she says. I guess I went to her because of severe lower back aches and frequent bleeding as well as a lot of abdominal pain. I had no problems at all on Megace.

March 4, 2009 1:13 PM

Megace (megestrol): For abnormal bleeding with no known cause this medicine has been a God send for me. Instead of having my period 365 days a year, I don't get any now.

November 14, 2008 9:15 PM