User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel-Ease, Verticalm

Learn more about Meclizine.

Meclizine review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Vertigo.

Reviews for Meclizine to treat Vertigo

Review by Dana J: User Rating:

meclizine: I have taken this for years, as I've had vertigo problems ever since a head injury years ago. For the person who can't find it, go to your CVS, Walgreens, etc and ask them to order it in bulk.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2014 5:40 PM
Review by AlaskaGuy: User Rating:

meclizine: I have vertigo a few times a year. Diagnosis is inconclusive but possibly Meniere's. Meclizine helps a lot. I have almost no side effects, but it sometimes only mitigates, doesn't eliminate, the vertigo. I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds and wonder if the dosage instructions are sensitive to body weight.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 16, 2013 1:27 PM
Review by Ray, From South Carolina (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

meclizine: I just had my second case of vertigo and tried 25mg of Meclizine and like many others it worked very well but I could not stay awake. My doctor changed my med to the 12.5 mg and I like that much better. Still stay a little tired but at least I am not sleeping all day.

November 24, 2013 8:53 PM
Review by joelatuna99: User Rating:

meclizine: I have had positional vertigo off and on since 1983. When vertigo rears its head I turn to meclizine. I take 25 milligrams a day. It is the best medicine I have found for vertigo.

July 25, 2013 8:38 PM
Review by andi n (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

meclizine: I'm a 71 year old woman. Have vertigo and nausea that lasts for months. The Transderm-Scop patch helped off and on, but it is supposed to be worn on the neck and it would itch and leave a rash. So, I tried meclizine. No dizziness, but I can't get out of bed. Tiredness over comes me. Not sure what to try next.

June 21, 2013 8:05 AM
Review by queen of hearts: User Rating:

meclizine: I could not lift my head off the pillow for two days. I was so nauseous and lightheaded. I finally went the doctor and he diagnosed my with BPPV and central vertigo. He gave me this medication and the next day I felt way better. I have had to take one every morning since. But it didn't make me really tired. Just a little sleepy. Hope this helps.

June 14, 2013 11:43 PM
Review by BUN BUN (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

meclizine: I have had 2 episodes of vertigo that were 9 months apart. The 2nd was worse than the first, in that it had vomiting accompanied with the vertigo. I must say though that in both times, meclizine helped to relieve my symptoms. I hope this is the last time I experience vertigo. I do not find that it makes me unable to function.

May 28, 2013 5:31 AM
Review by NicAlbrecht (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

meclizine: This helps my vertigo quite quickly but, leaves me very sleepy after a short while. I can only take half of a 25 mg tablet at a time.

May 15, 2013 10:34 AM
Review by bigbird 63 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

meclizine: It worked but the first day of taking after my vertigo issue I slept all day & all night. Took second day and all I did was sleep, I can't take it and function and definitely go to work and take it. I walk around in a fog even if try to keep busy while taking during the day.

April 28, 2013 11:04 PM
Review by Joshua I. G. (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

meclizine: I use meclizine for chronic vertigo related to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome and FMS. It is the only thing I've found to stop the spin, or at least make it less extreme.

April 15, 2013 2:20 AM
Review by Al Peters: User Rating:

meclizine: My Dr prescribed 25MG tablets of meclizine a couple of years ago. I take it on an "as needed" basis and it has taken care of the times I have symptoms of lightheadedness or dizziness, maybe once or twice a month. I have had no side effects and sleep well with or without the tablet and can drive with no problem.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2013 4:11 PM
Review by Mix: User Rating:

meclizine: The vertigo seem to go away. I only experience it now when I lay down and only for a few seconds. But I noticed something different and I don't know if it is the effect of the medicine. My senses seemed heightened, especially my sense of smell. And my awareness seem to be on the edge too. A sudden sound or even a suspenseful scene in a movie cranks my adrenaline. My son dropped his bottle of milk and I thought I would have a heart attack! My heart jumped at the sudden noise.

March 9, 2013 11:45 PM
Review by Sammijo1122: User Rating:

meclizine: This really helped me with the nausea and dizziness of Vertigo. It does make one VERY sleepy. I could only take a HALF of a 25mg pill. It's been 2 days and I am still sleepy, but it helps so much

January 19, 2013 4:20 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

meclizine: I have Meniere's disease. When it hits I am on the floor in the bathroom nauseous for hours. I take meclizine at any indication that the Meniere's is acting up. It is a miracle for me. I have zero side effects. Not sleepy or groggy, and not dizzy or sick.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2012 2:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Bonine (meclizine): I took 2 Bonine tablets (1-2 tabs recommended on label) and felt ok - was able to drive and go to places. Took another one before bed and I overslept only to wake up with a heavy headedness, like I was on antidepressants. Did not like the feeling and did not want to go driving under these conditions.

August 20, 2012 11:27 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

meclizine: I took 5 doses of this medication - it made me sleepy which made it difficult to function. I was unable to drive myself and concentrate at work. I also developed a rash on my neck. I was instructed by the pharmacist to stop taking the medication, take a Benadryl and apply an over the counter cortisone on the rash. The rash went away within two days but I still have vertigo. I am being told that there is no other medication that can be prescribed.

April 17, 2012 6:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

meclizine: I have been taking this medicine now for 3 days, however I still suffer the dizziness and have noticed it makes me sleepy, and I don't know if this is a side affect or not but I have very irritable since starting it. I'm not going to be able to take it due to working with clients all day and on the computer. My mind is so foggy.

March 4, 2012 11:26 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antivert (meclizine): I was prescribed this medicine for treatment of Meniere's disease (constant vertigo & hearing loss due to excess fluid in the ear) this medicine knocks me out for at least 10 hours even after a small dose. It takes my dizziness away but it knocks me on my butt and I can't go to work for at least a day if I have to take it.

February 25, 2012 9:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

meclizine: I was having problems feeling lightheaded and dizzy for about 2 weeks for no apparent reason. Meclizine knocked the dizziness and lightheadedness right out- no problem. But now I feel like I'm going to fall over because I'm so tired. I took one before bed last night and I've been feeling the effects all day long.

January 24, 2012 5:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

meclizine: I fly often but this last trip I woke up the next day with dizziness anytime I lowered my head. Difficult since I work on the computer all day and meet with clients so I am up and down all day. My doctor prescribed it 3 times a day and that is fine as I am on the 5th day and still get dizzy. I wake up a lot at night feeling like I have to relieve my kidney's. This is more often then before I took meclizine HCL. I do have dry mouth but no real side effects.

September 12, 2011 9:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

meclizine: I acquired light induced vertigo after visiting a Christmas shop that contained a whole room filled with brightly lit trees. I am extremely dizzy and nauseous if I do not take meclizine 3 times a day. I have absolutely no side effects but I am concerned about the long term effects from the meclizine.

August 19, 2011 5:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antivert (meclizine): My doctor put me on this for vertigo. I had dry mouth and drowsiness but stopped the spinning. It was treating the vertigo from a perforated ear drum.

August 13, 2011 9:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antivert (meclizine): I have taken Antivert for years. For some reason I cannot get it either from Medco or local pharmacy. It is an effective medication. Now I do not know what to do.

July 29, 2011 6:46 PM
Review by heypal: User Rating:

meclizine: I have re-occurring bouts of vertigo about 3-4 times a year. It seldom lasts more than 14-20 hours but is severe at times, spinning surroundings, and feeling of falling backwards. Usually the drowsy feeling stays with me for 2 days. I have tried the natural remedies but find that Bonine or Meclizine works the best for me. I have had a hard time to find it over the counter the past year.

November 30, 2010 12:04 AM

meclizine: Just started taking meclizine for an episode of vertigo I had yesterday. Still feeling a little off balance and dizzy, but at least the room isn't spinning and I don't have the falling sensation. Went to the doctor today to run some tests, but since I started the Bonine yesterday, the tests were inconclusive, since they couldn't trigger the vertigo. Looks like this medicine works. I am sleepy though, but am still having trouble sleeping, guess it's just being anxious that it might happen again. Also, reading/typing triggers more dizziness. Doctor said to continue on the meclizine for 2 weeks and it should take care of itself. If not, to return to him, for further testing.

July 29, 2010 9:21 PM

Learn more about Vertigo

Learn how medication, diet, and exercise are key to managing Multiple Sclerosis. Click Here