User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel Sickness, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Meclizine.

Meclizine Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of Motion Sickness.

Reviews for Meclizine to treat Motion Sickness

Bonine (meclizine): "My youngest son gets carsick after being in the car for 30 minutes. I discovered these tablets and give him a half of a pill an hour before we leave as directed, and he's golden. He does not experience drowsiness and acts like his normal self. Trips have become manageable now and I don't cringe with the puke bucket."

Working Mom of 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): "I learned to sail keelboats 8 years ago. I love it, but am prone to seasickness. I tried ginger initially but that was ineffective. Then a friend suggested Bonine and I have used it ever since. I don't feel drowsy while sailing, but on the drive home after sailing and all the next day I can be very drowsy. To combat the drowsiness I tried reducing my dose, I now take 1/3-1/2 a tablet each time I go out (once or twice a week), increasing the dose up to 1-1/2 tablets if I expect rough seas. Over the 7 years of twice a week use, I have only had trouble twice in stormy 6 ft seas. Highly recommend, but figure out your best dose. I have taken it for up to 10 days continuously without ill effects."

dlb333 March 3, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine works great for when vertigo hits from additional fluid in your balance mechanism in your inner ear. Even when no cruising or flying . However be careful of the getting pregnant warning."

Drewdrew2 January 17, 2015

"After years of suffering motion sickness, I finally tried Bonine. I've been taking it for about 2 years now for car rides longer than an hour and plane rides. For me, it only works if I take it at least an hour before travel. If I take it when I'm already sick, it only works about 50% for me. This wonderful medicine has allowed me to travel. Before, I used to dread going any distance. I do get a little bit drowsy, but not to the point where I cannot function. I can still work, sight see, etc. I sleep wonderfully when I'm on it!"

Karen3339 January 10, 2015

"I have a very poor vestibular system which causes severe vertigo, dizziness, nausea when travelling. I usually use gravol (natural product, 550 mg) and my travel bracelets for short flights (less than 2 hours), unfortunately, I was sick throughout the plane ride due to bad weather and seemed it set the tone prior to my first cruise. The doctor gave me meclizine which really helped, still had some turbulence in the stomach so I purchased "Motion Ease" oils (a drop behind each ear) when the seas were really rough! No motion sickness symptoms AT ALL during the 7-day cruise !!!! Only side effect (not sure if from the cruise or the pills ???) ...was that it took me four days to fully regain my balance (tipping on the right....was kinda weird)"

Franny D April 28, 2014

"I have used meclizine on cruises and boat trips as I am susceptible to sea sickness in moderately rough waters or worse. Although it makes me a little sleepy, it's not so bad that it affects what I do. It just makes it a little hard to get up in the morning- takes me a little longer to feel "awake". Otherwise, I usually feel very good with no nausea. I used it on a *very* rough boat ride once and although I never threw up, I was nauseous for the last half of the trip. However, considering how sick others were, I felt it was still helping me quite a bit."

Nessz (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

Bonine (meclizine): "On the advise of a friend my wife and I started taking Bonine 24 hrs before we departed on a small ship cruise in the Caribbean. It was the best advise we could have gotten because at night while traveling between the islands the weather was very very rough. Over half the people on the cruise were extremely sea sick and miserable. We felt fine and had no issues at all. I highly recommend this product."

Itwasrough September 18, 2013

Bonine (meclizine): "I didn't get motion sickness until AFTER we got off our 7 day cruise. I have been fighting nausea and dizziness for a week now (The doctor said it is normal to suffer this after a cruise), after reading these reviews, I went and bought Bonine. I took one pill and I feel great! Sure wish I had researched this a week ago!"

Helenvb66 June 18, 2013

"Used it for scuba diving from a boat. Before using meclizine, couldn't keep my stomach contents where they belonged. Ruined several dive trips. After taking 25mg, I got to watch the other divers handing over the boat feeding the fish with their breakfast. Heavy seas, no problem. Got it at Target."

Mrediam April 29, 2013

Bonine (meclizine): "My husband and I went on a 3 night Bahamas cruise for a romantic getaway.. I get "sea sick" when traveling at times, but was thinking big ship = less motion? Wrong! I was sick by dinner @6pm and we boarded at 4pm. I was so upset :( crying, nauseous, disappointed. My husband & I went to the gift shop & found Bonine. I took 2 & got very drowsy but no more sea sickness. I decided the next dose I would take 1 pill & see if that went better..it did! So for the rest I'd the trip I took 1 pill every recommended dosing time, and I did not have sickness or drowsiness again. Bonine was amazing for me! Highly recommend it and it was worth every penny."

JVC0914 March 29, 2013

"I use to dread flights, elevators and fishing trips because of sickness. Took Bonine on a snorkeling trip and was actually able to eat on the boat! It really works for me and I am amazed because I have tried everything and doubted this medication would help. I highly recommend Meclizine!"

Jdk41 February 13, 2013

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine is a miracle if you are bothered by motion sickness. I take a caffeine pill, with Bonine to combat drowsiness. The combination of the two, is a winner for me."

Anonymous September 27, 2011

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine did not work at all for me and I really suffered during a 2-hour flight."

Janabob August 11, 2011

Bonine (meclizine): "I have to swallow two tablets an hour before I expect motion sickness to occur (getting on a plane, riding in a car, etc.) and it totally works. Doesn't work instantly for me though. I also took this for nausea due to pregnancy and it helped with that too. I highly recommend Bonine!"

Anonymous June 16, 2011

Bonine (meclizine): "I took it prior to leaving on a cruise and it worked very well. I took it every day that we were at sea. I highly recommend this medication."

Anonymous June 16, 2011

Bonine (meclizine): "Hated the taste of the chewable Bonine and did not help with my motion sickness."

Christine P. March 7, 2011

Dramamine Less Drowsy (meclizine): "I've always had success taking this. I have noticed that I have never had a turbulent flight when I've taken this, which I think would be a good test."

Craig L September 10, 2010

"We cruise 2 or 3 times a year and this medication has made it possible for me to enjoy it. The first 2 were several years apart because I got so sick on the first one. The second one I was sick only one day and the infirmary gave me some samples of meclizine. Within hours I felt great and now I start taking meclizine the day before we sail until the day after we get home. I have had very few issues, a little "queasy" when in VERY rough seas, but never sick. For those few times, ginger ale has settled me right down. I highly recommend this medication for anyone suffering from motion sickness."

Anonymous August 29, 2010

Bonine (meclizine): "Works great, makes me a little drowsy. I would not take it if I am driving."

Free Fred May 15, 2010

"It does help me a lot, plus I have zero side effects."

gold4261 September 9, 2009

Bonine (meclizine): "Both my son and I took this on a diving trip and it worked great. No side effects. I have high blood pressure and had no effects that I could tell. We took 1 the night before and 1 an hour before the boat left the dock."

Anonymous July 14, 2009

Bonine (meclizine): "Took Bonine for a 3 hour flight and it worked great. I get motion sickness very easily and Bonine stopped the nausea and dizziness. I did have some drowsiness, but I will take that over the dizziness and nausea any day."

melibrym May 18, 2009

Bonine (meclizine): "We are cruisers and have been on many since 1980. My doctor at the time told me to try Bonine, and it has gotten me through many a rough sea and I'm always able to enjoy myself. I have forgotten to take it twice and each time got motion sickness. So I always recommend it to family, friends and other new cruisers."

Anonymous April 6, 2009

Bonine (meclizine): "It worked immediately. I was on a cruise ship and as soon as I popped it into my mouth the vertigo and nausea disappeared for 24 hours. No drowsiness."

Anonymous December 15, 2008

Bonine (meclizine): "I went on a 4 day, 3 night cruise with my identical twin. Both of us had previously taken Dramamine but neither of us liked it due to the sleepiness. She bought some Bonine while I had my doctor write me a prescription for the back-ear sticker. Both of us took our medicines 12 hours before getting on our plane. I got tired while she enjoyed poking me and making fun. The back ear patch didnt work, because I got sick with in minutes of being on the ship. My sister forced me to take the patch off and made me take the Bonine. We had a great trip. We swear by Bonine and our family and friends love it too. "

Anonymous November 9, 2008

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Motion Sickness