User Reviews for Suprep

Learn more about Suprep.

Suprep Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 90 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Suprep to treat Bowel Preparation

"Today I'm having my first colonoscopy. Yesterday I mixed it with water and orange gatorade. The taste was terrible. Last night, I decided to chill the bottle in the fridge. A few minutes ago I had my second bottle. After each gulp of the Suprep I swished ginger ale around my mouth then spit it out. This way was so much better for me. The ginger ale kills the horrid after taste. Hope this helps :)"

K Cook. August 31, 2015

"I'm a larger guy. A full week before I did suprep I took miralax every day and started liquid diet two days early. Pre-suprep, charged all electronics and put them in bathroom. I've decided to hang out in here until done. Measured out two sixteen ounce cups of water and put it in one giant cup. Upon opening the first bottle I gave it a sniff test and it smelled alright. Took it warm and slammed it like a giant shot. The salty taste threw me off, but I went straight to my big cup and slammed the water. Kissed my fiance goodbye and have set up camp in the bathroom. Two hours later, light cramping and faucet style diarrhea. After reading and hearing about preps, I came in scared. This feels easy as hell. Liquid went down fast."

AndyJoe (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

"I am thankful for all who have taken the time to post tips and tricks. My colonoscopy was today, & I'll add my hints in hopes of helping others. 1) Make sure the Suprep is chilled in the refridge for an hour or two, & mix with cold water. 2) Drink it with a straw 3) This stuff is VERY salty, and so was difficult to choke down. Other reviews suggest sips of soup or soda between sips of Suprep, so I tried both. Drinking Squirt soda worked best for me, with sips of water every once in awhile. 4) Had an 8 oz. bottle of cold water & took sips out of this as well. (Counts towards the 32 oz. you must drink afterwards.) 5) After drinking & before the action starts grease your rear with A&D Ointment to stave off butt rash. Good luck!!"

Spider Lily (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"This was my first time using Suprep. My previous colonoscopy I used Miralax for the prep. I have to say drinking the Suprep was by far the WORST part of the whole procedure for me. Even worse than the toilet visits and way worse than the colonoscopy itself. The taste was a horrible combination of grape syrup, salt and a metallic under-taste. I didn't vomit but wow, sure thought I would. I chilled each of the two bottles of Suprep, mixed with cold water, drank through a straw (the straw didn't help) in the largest chugs I could possibly stand and then rinsed/gargled with water afterward. Absolutely revolting. But effective and thorough. I would just add, Suprep manufacturer, Please fix the horrendous taste of this stuff!"

Greenbird 51 August 26, 2015

"I've used many colonoscopy prep regimens and this is one of the best. My #1 choice is Pico Salax, which tastes good (like Tang), but is not available in the US. After that I'd prefer pills but those have never been an option for me. Suprep ranks next. I have chronic severe constipation so I took an enema and Correctol in the days leading up to it. I am infamous for not being able to keep colon prep solutions down. I am a BIG baby when it comes to drinking colonoscopy preps. I chilled the solution and dulled my tongue with ice first--the whole tongue--sides, back, tip, etc. Then I drank it and IMMEDIATELY swished my mouth out with straight lemon juice (like you would with tequila!). Then Listerine. It stopped me from gagging."

Hot Mess Sundae (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

"The taste was like no other. Gagging quickly ensued followed by desperate attempts to wash down the vile substance with applejuice. Just when I thought the worst was over and realizing I had finally finished drinking the suprep, a rumble consumed my entire body and I ran to the bathroom. I am not a fan of excercise, but this made me wish I had done more cardio in the past. When I reached the toilet, I cannot express the rate at which liquid projectiled from my butt. I swore that I lifted at least a foot from the toilet on some thrusts. My boyfriend was nice enough to bring me a TV, ipad, cell phone, heater, and water bottle as we realized i would have to bunker down for the night."

kendallisonly25whydoineedacolo August 23, 2015

"Taste was offensive to me - like a cough syrup but sweet. Worked well. Apply Boudreaux's Butt Paste to avoid a raw bottom. Best advice my DR has given me. No cramping but did feel nauseous because I didn't like taste nor texture. Other than that not as bad as I thought it was going to be."

Rose2323 August 20, 2015

"Pretty salty, but not as salty as magnesium citrate. Clear liquid, like a watered down cough syrup. Mine was "cherry" flavored. Choked it down by holding my nose and thought I did okay but after about five minutes threw everything up. Have to reschedule my upper and lower and they are going to try me on Miralax and Gatorade to see if I can keep that down. I have some problems with sugars and it sounds like I shouldn't have even been given this one b/c it's loaded with sugar. With all this technology you would think someone would have figured out a better way to do this by now. Especially considering a good chunk of people having these procedures are doing so because they are experiencing stomach/intestinal upset."

Never_Again_Yuck August 20, 2015

"I ate light two days prior to taking Suprep. The day of starting Suprep I drank coffee and gatoraide and had soup broth and green jello and drank water. I started at 600 PM and drank the suprep in two big gulps. There is no way to tell you how bad it taste but I have taken worst. I quickly drank one 16 ounce bottle of water. I felt nauseous and bloated after drinking the second 16 ounce bottle of water. I kept burping and spitting up thick salvia but I didn't vomit thank God!!! It took two hours before it start working for me. I did what someone earlier suggested and that was camp out in the bathroom until its over. I sat my laptop up and played Sims while sitting on the stool. My stomach rumbled but didn't really cramp that bad.lasted to 10:"

Gerribae August 18, 2015

"I'm a 65 y/o female.This my first colonoscopy, so I read everything, watched videos, etc. I was dreading drinking the Suprep. Well, I have to tell you it was a breeze! Here are my tips: 1. If you can, start your liquid diet 2 days before. 2.Drink the prep at room temp with room temp water. I think the chills and stomach pain others talked about came from drinking that much liquid cold and fast.3.No straw, just HOLD YOUR NOSE for ZERO taste! After drinking it, I swished ginger ale around in my mouth (and spit it out). Voila! No nasty taste. 4. Divide the 32 oz of water you have to drink in an hour into 4- 8oz glasses and set a timer to drink one every 15 minutes. First poo in 45 mins. Easy Peasy. Good luck!"

cleanasawhistle (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

"Tastes awful, but it could be worse. I read a gazillion reviews and tips before undertaking my first dose at 3:30 p.m. I did divide the diluted dose into two portions, added a little Polar Half and Half (lemon/grapefruit soda) and some crushed ice. Still very bitter and salty. Took long gulps through a wide straw, breathed through my mouth and then "chased" between with lemon wedges and sips of the 32 oz of water you are supposed to follow up with. Some burping while drinking. Took 30 mins to drink and 30 mins to kick in and I've been going for the last 2.5 hrs. Some cramps; a tad nauseous. Not looking forward to the 2nd dose. Keep telling yourself that it's better than getting colon cancer (my dad died of it)."

Disgusting but effective (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2015

"I have had to do bowel prep twice in my life for colonoscopys. In the hospital they use a different mixture or concoction of stuff, that tastes better and you have a longer space of time to get all your liquid in. Anyway I am a small 20 something, the amount of liquid you have to drink wasn't what bothered me, although I did come close to vomiting on round two from getting to full of liquid. It has to be the taste of this darn stuff that gets me! I hate it! So the quicker you down it the better, then get yourself some good tasting fresh water. I have had worse experiences in life anyway so this isn't that bad. Although I would suggest getting very large bed time maxi pads, just in case... I leaked a little and the pads saved my sheets."

Rachellmt (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"This is my third colonoscopy. I absolutely hate this prep. The taste I can get past, though it is def not a latte ;). I can deal with bathroom visits, no worries. All of that works fine. It just really bothers my stomach. The first time I used it I wound up with a bleeding stomach (erosive gastritis). I am going to push for a different approach next time."

Ugh the belly not happy (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"Third colonoscopy but the first using Suprep. Read a few reviews to inform myself and decided to use ideas of getting the 6 oz bottles really cold before mixing and drinking. Took a half hour to kick in and since this process isn't easy for me to handle with carpet on floors, etc. I"ve been sitting for almost two hours now. Things happen quickly and mentally I feel better in my bathroom rather than worrying about cleaning everything up. The taste wasn't that bad; drank it through a straw as suggested by someone and drank the other two 16 oz already. Second round is at 1:30 a.m. for a 6:30 appointment in the morning. Hope I can get some sleep in between somehow."

RInatiive (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"I read a lot of the comments and did not find any like my experiences when I took the stuff two days ago for my colonoscopy yesterday. I found the taste mildly offensive the first dose but the texture of the solution seemed slimy which I cannot tolerate. Within ten minutes, I had very severe, uncontrollable shaking--way, way past trembling. I really thought I was going to die and I live alone. Could not walk, could not hold anything--it was awful. Subsided in about fifteen very long minutes and about an hour later, after the four cups of water, had some action which lasted about two hours. The first dose was at 9 PM. The second dose was at 3 AM and I had the same violent shaking again (could not finish the dose). Never again!"

OLF August 5, 2015

"I will never ever take this drug again. Never mind the cost and the horrendous taste. What bothers me is this: the same dose is given to someone who is 5'2'', 115 lb. and someone who is 6'4'', 225 lbs. Yes, I'm the smaller one in this scenario; three times I couldn't even make it to the bathroom. Yes, I spent a lot of time just sitting in the bathroom. It didn't matter. It was way too much for me and I even reduced the amount I drank down on the 1st round. There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all when it comes to this drug. It works? It works for whom and in what way? Repeat: never again."

Jan4H August 5, 2015

"So, I am still in the middle of my first round. I took it at 4pm. Tastes like grape cough syrup. It was a little difficult for me to get down, but I drank it in about 5 min. Was immediately running to the bathroom within 5 min. I'm sure that since I already had diarrhea to begin with, it made the process happen much quicker. However, it is now 7pm and I have just now been able to stop going long enough after wiping to pull my underwear up. Being in the toilet for 3 hours has made my legs hurt so I just decided to slap a pad on my underwear. With it being all liquid now, it'll absorb just like I'm on my period! That's probably TMI, but for those of you who haven't thought of that and have been affected the way I have - you should try it."

MomOf1QTPie (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"I'm not going to pretend it tasted good, but I've paid for things that tasted worse at the bar. I kept the bottle in the fridge, mixed with really cold water and, used a wide straw as far back in my mouth as I could stand it. I got the cup down in probably 4 gulps, drinking grape juice and spoonfuls of ginger syrup in between. Tangobabe listed a recipe for ginger syrup on 1/17/15 that I made last night because I was nervous about getting nauseous (the last prep I used I vomited probably half of) and it worked like a charm. Seriously, look for that post. I stopped drinking anything about halfway through the day today knowing that it would be hard for me to fit so much liquid in my belly at once, and the fact that I was hungry helped."

Cookie508 August 3, 2015

"After reading The reviews here, I followed the advice of using lemon wedges and drinking a sip of water after each gulp of Suprep. I was unable to drink it all in one go, but it was good to know that keeping it in the refrigerator before hand and icing up water for sipping definitely helped. Experienced chills and overall it was a nasty evening of preparation. Definitely helped to go on a liquid diet low fiber in the days leading up to the procedure."

Gladitsover August 3, 2015

"I took the first dose at 6pm last night and the teste was the nastiest stuff I ever had ..I did not read these reviews first , so I did not know about the keeping it cold or using a straw.. I did take a sip of water between every few gulps of the poison tasting liquid.. It barely worked on the first dose .. I waited a few hours and only went one time to the bathroom.. Today I took the 2 nod dose and was gagging as much as yesterday..This time I went to the bathroom sooner and a few more times..BUT I do not think I am totally cleaned out.. I had my first colonoscopy about 9 years ago and took a million pills with no taste and worked perfect.. I hope I will be cleaned out enough to have my procedure done..."

Skinny-one (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2015

"So much better than past preparations. The taste isn't bad at all: just sweet water. Much better than lemon-lime products in the past. The results are predictable with no racing to the bathroom. Not to be too graphic, but even the "going" is better. It's more like turning on a faucet than an explosion. All in all, a huge advancement in bowel prep."

Unionsuit (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

"I took the first dose tonight at 7 pm. It was the most horrid thing I've ever tasted. I gagged several times. I honestly didn't expect it to taste so horrible or I would have asked about ways to disguise the taste or chasers. I see that several people recommend using a lemon wedge, which I will try. I'm also wondering if I can sip juice or ginger ale after each taste? I am a small person, weigh under 120 and I feel like everything has already passed out of my body. Just clear liquid for the past hour. I'm wondering if I need to take the entire second dose in the morning? It seems it would just dehydrate me."

Betsy H July 27, 2015

"Doing this med now 4pm . Two rounds of one gallon. The other half at 5am for a 140pm appointment. Didn't taste so bad just fell bloated. Oddly it took over 2 hours to start. Took 8 oz @ 20 minute spans. Label says 10 but pharmacy said 20. Had chicken broth I made but after reading different schools of thought thinking the fat in the chicken broth could have held me off for the 2 plus hrs time frame above. Gatoraid orange and clear , tea , water , coffee . Afraid to drink any thing cause it makes me run to the bathroom. Have to drink though I believe cause as of 12am no more anything I'm told. Its coming out a tad clearer now as of 845 pm"

Gransbackk (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

"Start a low fiber diet 6 days in advance w?lots of liquids, 3 days in advance start a soft food/soup diet using laxatives periodically throughout the week. The day before make sure the Suprep & water are ICE cold in the fridge, when drinking the solution use the straw & sip ice cold white grape juice (it's so sweet it cuts the taste of the Suprep). Process began about an hour afterwards. Didn't have to sit in the bathroom just made sure I went when the rumbling began. Overall, WAAAAY better experience than 10 years ago!"

No Worries (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"Well, just finished going through the first portion of the Suprep. I must say, it was very difficult to drink. The taste is awful. I had to put a cup with Gatorate next to the cup with the preparation, so I could drink a sip between each time that I took a drink of the Suprep. But it really has worked. I was terrorized with fear, but I haven't had any cramping or stomach ache at all, no nausea, no headache, and except for the terrible taste, the experience hasn't been bad at all. This is my first time getting ready for a colonoscopy, and I was glad I found this site before I started, it eased all of my fears by reading all the other comments. Thank you for having this site up. It helped me a lot. Hope I am able to help someone else."

Lulita July 12, 2015

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Learn more about Bowel Preparation

More about Suprep (magnesium sulfate / potassium sulfate / sodium sulfate)

Other formulations