User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Jegattack: User Rating:

I've had mostly positives with it. I do have some difficulty moving quickly at the gym because it causes dizziness, but this is a small inconvenience. It does raise my sugar, but weight loss counteracts this. It is really expensive, so I'm glad my insurance pays for it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 13, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by unhappyuser (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Never been so sick, flu like symptoms and no help with depression. I experienced anxiety and panic attacks while taking it. 3 weeks was all I could take. Back to the doctor for a medicine change. Thank God I had some Xanax to help along the way. Hope others have better luck with it than I did.

March 23, 2014 1:13 PM
Review by Wanttobenormal (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

After taking for three days had a severe anxiety attack while driving a car. Ended up an emotional wreck the rest of the night. I've never had anything like that happen.

January 24, 2014 10:11 AM
Review by Kaleo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I'm on 200mg Lamictal and 150mg Wellbutrin for bipolar II with mania controlled and depression affecting my daily life. Added 20mg of Latuda 3 weeks ago and I've seen massive improvement. I went from sitting at home on the couch all the time to going out and applying for jobs and completing many projects around the house. It does come with drowsiness, works better than my prescribed sleep medication, and some nausea but food solves that. I don't know if my dosage will be increased but I feel great now with all my other medications plus the Latuda. Overall the pros make the cons nonexistent in my eyes.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 10:41 PM
Review by Ms.SmithW: User Rating:

This is the first medicine since I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 that makes me feel normal. I started on 20mg for a week then went up to 40mg for 5 wks now. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover it so now my Psych is giving me Abilify samples. I'm not happy about this because in past yr Latuda has worked the best without any side effects. Latuda made it possible to actually function as a mother and full time worker. I'm afraid to go on Abilify I don't want to feel crazy again especially after finally feeling normal for once.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 11, 2014 8:35 AM
Review by that crazy bitch (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on all sorts of meds. Wellbutrin was beautiful but my throat swelled up and I broke out in hives. They have tried lithium (scary rashes that took 4 months to clear) some other ones that made me worse or rashes. Latuda is the first that has been close to the awesomeness of Wellbutrin. I have more energy, eat less, fog like state of not fully "being there" is gone. I feel like a different person. The first week was nauseating but that went away and lasted a half hour at a time. When I bumped up to 40mg the nausea came back. My kidneys seem to be hurting but I am going with a wait and see if that goes away as well. I do not want to be taken off. Meds are hard to find that work.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 27, 2013 1:47 PM
Review by Bipolar girl _ (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have tried many medications over the years, mostly antidepressants but a few others like lamotrigine & Seroquel. I must say that nothing has been more effective than Latuda. I was on Wellbutrin for a couple years, was ok. This does make me drowsy so I take it at night. I do have to take with food or will make me really nauseous. Truly a miracle drug as I was not doing well.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 27, 2013 12:03 AM
Review by guestreviewer: User Rating:

For over a year I experimented with many different medicines for my Bipolar Depression without success until I started Latuda 3 months ago. I started at 20mgs, and am now at 80mgs and will be staying at this dosage. My depression has lifted, it has helped tremendously with my cognition (my brain 'fog), and I am an active participant in my own life now. As long as I take it at night with a meal or snack, I don't experience any side effects. If you take on an empty stomach, it makes you nauseous. The maker of Latuda has a patient assistance program as well. Overall, it has been a miracle for me!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 22, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by Stabledude (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have Bipolar Disorder II, diagnosed 4 years ago. I've taken a wide variety of medicines during that time. In my experience, many medications are good for ending a manic episode, but nothing has ever helped me with the ensuing, longer-lasting depressions. 3 months ago my psych suggested Latuda, and I agreed with zero expectations of success. The result has been miraculous. Within a week of starting, all negative feelings were gone. I experience nausea when I take it, but that is a small price to pay for such a major shift in my well-being. My appetite remains normal, and I've lost 5 pounds since starting Latuda because I have motivation to exercise again. Highly recommended to anyone who is BP II and wants to break out of depression.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 19, 2013 8:10 PM
Review by biploar_yo: User Rating:

My experience with Latuda was not good. At 20 mg for about a month I decided it wasn't working well but my psych asked me to try upping the dose. After a couple weeks I found that it gave me akathasia, which was far worse than my bipolar. It also increased my appetite. I am taking 20 mg Lexapro as well, which is fairly effective for me.

December 16, 2013 7:06 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started taking 20 mg of Latuda in addition to the 900 mg of Lithium that I've been on for over 10 years. Even before the dosage was increased to 40 mg after one week, I noticed a difference in my mood: I became less depressed, wanted to do things like cleaning up, less withdrawn, and the suicidal thoughts disappeared. My sleeping is still not as good as it should be however even with the 25 mg of Seroquel which I sleep very poorly without. I also take Lorazepam as needed for anxiety. I am starting on 80 mg dosage of Latuda shortly, and if all goes well my psych said the Lithium may eventually be dropped.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 28, 2013 11:54 PM
Review by jallisin: User Rating:

Latuda has changed my life. I've been treated with everything under the sun since I was 20 years old. Within days of taking the Latuda I felt like a normal person. I don't know if I EVER felt so genuinely happy, light-hearted, motivated to make life changes. It's like a miracle. I don't experience any side effects. I don't feel tremendously hungry either, as I have with other anti psychotics. I only hope it continues to keep my bipolar at bay.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2013 9:51 AM
Review by Indianchic1980:

I have been taking Latuda 40mg for a month now. I take it with meals as prescribed but I still feel nauseated. I also take Vistaril which helps with my stomach. I'm bipolar, severely anxious, along with manic depression and I found that out of ALL the meds I've tried over the past 15 years, the combination I'm taking( Vistaril 25mg, Latuda 40mg, Neurontin 300 mg 3 x a day) and Topamax 200mg at night have balanced me out very well. I still have my normal social anxieties and that's something I have to face; not a pill. If you are crying out of control, major mood swings, tired, depressed, then Latuda will help you. If you feel sick to your stomach make sure you eat first, then take it. I don't eat much so that's why mine gets upset.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 23, 2013 2:45 PM
Review by lisa6464 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Absolutely amazing. I have been treated for bipolar/major depression since I was an adolescent. Been on everything under the sun. Some did help-but nothing kept me consistently on an even keel. By the time my Dr gave me samples of Latuda-I had no expectations. For the first time in my adult life I feel normal. My mood is relaxed and happy-I'm sleeping well and no excessive hunger. It does kill your libido-but that is fine with me-I have lost 7 lbs. I started on 40mg and gradually increased to 120mg--I also take 300mg Wellbutrin, 30mg Adderell twice a day and Ativan as needed for anxiety. This medication is life changing.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 19, 2013 6:19 PM
Review by Marta Tha (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I took Latuda 20mg for 2 weeks. Was taking Abilify and had gained 8 pounds. Thought Latuda would help me lose weight but made me ravenous and gained 3 lbs in 4 days. Went back on Abilify.

November 18, 2013 12:26 AM
Review by Neeqa (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was just taken off my previous meds 200 mg Lamictal 30 mg Prozac after a week of involuntary commitment and put on 30/40 mg Latuda one daily at bedtime ..I feel confused ..manic..I'm not completely sure if I'm awake or dreaming most of the time ..I think I was given a placebo ! This crap isn't working for me.I just wanna be normal I have ZERO motivation to do anything

November 8, 2013 10:54 AM
Review by likeaskyscraper (taken for less than 1 month):

cont. So my diagnosis is Bipolar II, Panic Disorder, ADD. Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Xanx, Adderal and now this. Anyone else on so many different things? I hope I get as lucky as most of you. I've been so low over the last several months, and for the longest time my memory has been just awful.I'm always anxious. Always. I don't expect this medication to fix that, my xanax dose is increasing for that. I'm afraid of weight gain. Wellbutrin has helped me be smallr again and I can eat whatever. I'm not prepared to lose that.

October 29, 2013 2:10 AM
Review by likeaskyscraper:

Anyway, I literally just took my first dose of Latuda. (20mg). My psych told me to take it with dinner (I'm taking it at night. So dinner for me :) ). And emphasized how I have to eat half my dinner, take the medicine, and then eat the other half, otherwise it doesn't absorb right. That's his experience with patients any way. But after taking my first dose tonight I felt some nausea and am quite sleepy. I usually lose track of time and stay awake. I'm supposed to be taking ambien nightly for that though. So, I'm taking the ambien at night, 400MG Lamitcal (200mg twice a day), Bupropion[Wellbutrin] 300mg, 30mg Adderall 3 times a day, .5mg xanax 4 times a day, and now the Latuda 20mg. Quite the cocktail, which does make me a bit nervous.

October 29, 2013 2:03 AM
Review by No sex drive (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Has brought my anxiety and mania down. No weight gain. No other side effects. Love it. Been on it 3 months But NO sex drive. Anyone else experience this

October 25, 2013 4:45 PM
Review by LEV55: User Rating:

I just started taking Latuda, and have found it makes me very sleepy, I'm wondering if I should take it at night instead of the morning. I was on Wellbutrin but had to be taken off because of extreme anxiety and emotionality.

October 22, 2013 11:11 AM
Review by Lilkrista: User Rating:

I have been on Latuda for about 3 years! I was struggling so much with other meds, I was either too tired, wired or depressed! Once I started taking Latuda I was feeling like a new person. I wasn't nervous or scared anymore it saved my life.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2013 3:42 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have been taking Latuda for 6 months and I am bipolar II. I also am on Wellbutrin. Overall the medication has made me feel better. But I now find that I am suffering from intense anxiety, which is terrible at night. I need to check with my doctor to see if this is a possible side effect.

October 14, 2013 11:58 PM
Review by Ben1234: User Rating:

I've been diagnosed Bipolar II 3 years ago. My depressed periods were much longer than manic ones. My psychiatrist and I tried many medications without success for bipolar depression. In April, he suggested to try Latuda. I was hesitant because we already tried so many medications... but I decided to try. After a week, my depressed symptoms were almost gone. No suicidal thoughts anymore. I was feeling good and was able to determine if my bad feelings were related to my life conditions or to my bipolar condition. I noticed a decreased libido which is my only side effect. This medicine doesn't reduce my anxiety which is still very high.

October 11, 2013 7:52 PM
Review by 2bipolar (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have been on multiple medications over 20 years for Bipolar II/ depression. I am currently on Vivactil which has worked in the past but gives a side effect of anxiety. My doctor prescribed Latuda 6 months ago. I sleep well now but still have some anxiety. I have also gained 35 lbs while dieting and working out. I have almost no appetite, but am still gaining weight. Mentally a 9, but cannot continue this because I am getting depressed and having back pain due to the weight gain.

October 6, 2013 8:58 AM
Review by scoop2564 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Began taking 20mg Latuda daily about ten days ago. About five days ago I noticed that I'm a lot less anxious - a lot less "catastrophising" - think more clearly, most definitely happier. My appetite is back as well. Suffering far less psychomotor retardation. Actually feel motivated to do some things! Genuine laughter! Also taking Aplenzin 522mg daily. Best I've felt in recent memory. It's my experience only.

September 27, 2013 6:55 AM