User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by T.R.:

I have been on so many medications that have not worked until I was prescribed Latuda. Everything changed. I feel normal now. It's the best medication for bipolar that I have ever encountered.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by VaorieKay (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Thanks to Latuda, I have my life back! I've taken so many medications in the past with no relief of my symptoms until Latuda! I wish I had known about Latuda years ago.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Anonymo:

It's been a love, hate relationship with Latuda for me. After 2 months of using it, I noticed a significant change in my depression, which was fantastic. But, I experience SEVERE nausea even when I eat enough food. I have even thrown up about 6 or 7 times within my 7 months of taking it. Which is unpleasant to say the least. The nausea usually sets in about 30-45 minutes after taking and lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.

October 12, 2014 3:28 AM

Review by Wopff (taken for less than 1 month):

I took this, started at 60 mg. Caused severe restlessness and lack of sleep. Felt like I had tachycardia going on but didn't. switched down to 30 mg without doctors consent and don't get restless or have the feeling in my chest as bad. It's been a little over a week wish I had better idea on if it's working or not.

September 23, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by HTA:

I was on Latuda for 3 weeks and it was horrible. Where to begin. From day 2 I was unable to sleep at all. I averaged 2 hours of sleep for 3 weeks straight! Fortunately my Bipolar 1 and Schizoaffective Disorder were held in check. I don't know how. My sleep has now come back due to 100mg of Seroquel. Albeit I can not fall asleep without it. The worst lingering side effect has been with my tongue. It is constantly pushed up against the roof of my mouth! It never ends. I also constantly grind and clench my teeth. This has been the worst experience with any medication I have been on. I am also on 900mg of Lithium and 300mg of Lamictal.

September 21, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

First medicine in years that has seemed to help depression without causing mania.

September 21, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by Mr. Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Latuda for about 6 weeks for Bipolar depression. It is one of the most effective medications that I have taken for depression but I'm dealing with a few side effects that I hope will go away. I have the paradox of extreme tiredness followed by difficulty sleeping. If I take it during the day I will have a few hours of fighting falling asleep. When I take it at night (which is what I do now) after the initial sleepiness wears off I wake up several times and am somewhat restless. Hopefully I will be able to adjust better over time. If you need something that works fast for depression I would recommend.

September 15, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by SarLinMar:

This medication has been helping me since day 1. I had to work through my own set of side effects, of course, but with the help of my doctor and 20mg / night of Latuda, I am well on my way towards a more stable life. I was very leery about taking the step to be on medication again, what with all the trials and errors, as well as misdiagnoses of my past. After barely even 3 weeks of taking Latuda, I feel almost proud of myself for taking this step. I am able to function again with a healthy routine.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 3:29 AM

Review by Jovbe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It has been great, but I am to relaxed and have not much desire to do things but when I need to do things it's not a problem, in fact my work has been much faster than it has been in years. I am more focused and content. The unusual effects have been it has stopped my hypoglycemia, caffeine has no effect on me any longer and I have no withdrawals at all when stopped cold.

August 27, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by PBSI:

Latuda is a miracle for me. I started on 40mg at bedtime then moved up to 80 mg at bedtime. 80 mg was too much as I started having inner restlessness so with my doctors approval I went back to 40 mg. At 40 mg everything is perfect. My depression lifted, my compulsive thoughts went away and I can think again.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 7:21 AM

Review by ChubbyDoggy (taken for less than 1 month):

Amazing medicine. I tried almost everything with no results. I felt hopeless and wanted to die until Latuda. It has made a great difference in my life in less that 3 weeks. I now feel again....amazing! Only draw back is the cost if you do not have insurance but thankfully I do.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by jhudora (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Amazing medicine! My doctor finally took me of Seroquel and put me on an upped dose of Latuda making my dosage 160 mg instead of 80 mg. I feel great and never better. I've lost 20 lbs in a month! Now I'm stuck at this weight but I did lose most of the weight I gained before. It definitely makes me sleepy but I've heard this goes away soon as your body adjusts. As for the nausea I've found eating small amount before and larger portion after taking the medicine and following it with a ginger pill and milk helps to stop it.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by ariesmomof5 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Although I am totally stable on this medication, feel great in fact, I have gained weight (40 pounds to be exact). I take 40 Mg, for about two months now. I'd give it a 10 but for the weight gain (never been overweight in my life!) which is driving me crazy, especially since my appetite is way down. My dr is adding Wellbutrin to it. I am bipolar II. Been on almost everything else, bad side effects, especially on Abilify. Good luck. I had hoped to lose weight, but it looks like I'm predisposed to weight gain.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Sam Qana:

I've had a horrible experience on this medicine. It makes me really irritable, even more depressed and anxious.

June 9, 2014 4:21 PM

I've been taking Latuda for about 2 months now. I enjoy life again, everyday I wake up feeling better than before. The intensity of feelings is amazing, I feel alive for the first time. No bad side effects as of now

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 11:16 PM

Review by took risperone for a year:

I rook risperidone for approximately 1 year for bipolar and although I liked the way it made me feel it increased my hunger and I felt more out of control with my eating. I switched to Latuda and noticed my hunger level went from a 8 to about a 2. I felt more in control of my food intake. Although I still felt hungry it wasn't a strong uncontrollable feeling of the need to eat. I recommend this to someone who likes risperidone but has less need for increased appetite. I am glad they approved this medicine for bipolar disorder.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Bipo 2:

Am currently on a low dose of Latuda (20 mg), experiencing very bad nausea and irregular bowel. Hopefully I will adapt soon.

May 9, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by sobeitsobeit:

I was diagnosed five years ago as being bipolar and long term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have taken many medicines. I felt so much better when adding Latuda that I went from 80 mg to 120 mg. I totally crashed. I was extremely depressed. I went off the medicine for six weeks. I started again taking 80 mg. I have been stable for five weeks. I also take lithium, Xanax, and Klonopin. I stay on a strict schedule of exercise. I am taking it day by day. This is one of my most expensive medicines.

May 7, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by NEW TO THIS DRUG (taken for less than 1 month):

I took Latuda yesterday for the first time. I took it around 5 pm. I couldn't sleep well during the night but that was probably just getting used to the medicine. Went for a walk for exercise felt great. Felt pleasure again. Felt joy and happiness and love.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by Latuda has helped me focus (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a female in my 60's. I have been on various anti-depressant medications for about ten years. Nothing has helped much. I finally gave up on them all. My diagnoses: Depression & post traumatic stress disorder. For the last 2 weeks I've been on 20mg of Latuda. What a positive experience! It definitely helps me focus better. And helps decrease my depression. The only complaint is that I'm hungry more. My dr said I could increase to 40mg Latuda and/or add Wellbutrin. Right now I'm okay with just 20mg Latuda. Don't want to change anything right now. Yes, I recommend it. I don't know whether my Medicare will cover Latuda. My dr gave me samples.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 11:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Increased muscle & joint pain, panic/anxiety attacks, confusion, exhaustion.

May 5, 2014 4:06 PM

Review by owlery (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Latuda (started at 40mg and ended at 80mg) for about a month and a half before deciding to switch. The best thing about the Latuda was the significant decrease in my appetite, but that could have been an effect of removing Seroquel from my regimen. When I first started I had a very hard time sleeping due to restlessness but that went away with time. The main issues I had with Latuda were a feeling of "numbness" to the world around me (no desire to do anything or say anything), a definite decrease in my sex drive, and the cost. Neither of my insurance plans will cover it, so unfortunately, it's no longer an option. If you do decide to try it, take it with plenty of food, otherwise you may get nausea.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by KTGreat:

Latuda so far has been the best medicine I've taken. Geodon made me really shaky but not with Latuda. I have not gained any weight, more focused, more energy. I am able to complete my tasks throughout the day. Overall I feel happy and don't find the need to want to lie around all day and watch T.V. I am very pleased with Latuda.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by Jegattack:

I've had mostly positives with it. I do have some difficulty moving quickly at the gym because it causes dizziness, but this is a small inconvenience. It does raise my sugar, but weight loss counteracts this. It is really expensive, so I'm glad my insurance pays for it.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by BPII Girl (taken for less than 1 month):

I have high hopes for Latuda! Over the past 15 years I have been treated for depression/anxiety disorder/panic attacks, and things would sometimes get a little better, but eventually get worse again. I went through a particularly awful time about a month ago, so my doctor gave me a sample of Latuda. Like many here, I felt extreme exhaustion right away, which would put me straight to sleep. However, it abated a bit after the first few days, and by a week it is not bad I have gained some weight, but I think it's because I've been eating/taking Latuda later at night. (Nothing like what I gained on Abilify) I am also waking up earlier in the morning (7 a.m. instead of my 7:30 alarm) in a good mood!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 11:04 PM