User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Mannygene1:

After trying to commit suicide my psychiatrist put me on latuda it has literally saved my life. I'm on 120 mg at night as well as seroquel trazodone pristiq and tegretol. I'm living life again !

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 8:03 AM

Review by Biskits:

I first started latuda at 40mg and it had zero effect. My dose was increased to 80mg and within two days, every single last bit of noise in my head disappeared completely. My focus is excellent now and my life has literally changed because of this drug. My energy is put into things that are important like a clean house and a clean body and I am so happy all the time now. I can't believe how excellent this drug is and I am so happy I was given the right dose to help me live a better life. I'm actually ready to face the world again and get off of disability and go back to work! I CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW MUCH THIS DRUG HAS CHANGED MY LIFE POSITIVELY. Complete 180 degree turnaround!

April 9, 2015 4:14 PM

Review by five1three (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Switched to Latuda after suffering a full manic episode. Works so much better than Depakote. No real side effects. Works very well at helping to control my mood-swings and manic energy. Everyone including myself cant believe how well it works for me.

March 23, 2015 9:48 AM

Review by Kat76 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Latuda going on two months now and it's just not working. I'm still depressed crying all the time, and have even been violent towards my boyfriend. Also very angry. The side effects are very bad for me since I don't have an appetite. But I was dealing with it. I tried and nothing. Desperately have to try something else.

February 23, 2015 9:40 AM

Review by Qbug:

I was given Latuda after a psychotic manic episode. Despite the "weight neutral" claims, I gained 13 pounds. I am now weaning as my episode has cleared, and am moving onto Lamictal. Here is a hint for everyone gaining weight from antipsychotics. They trick your body into being Type 2 Diabetic. This changes how your body responds to eating carbs. Cut the carbs, and you won't gain weight. Eat carbs, you most likely will.

February 22, 2015 8:03 AM

Review by Rebecca J (taken for less than 1 month):

I was on Latuda, for 23 days for my post traumatic stress disorder, manic attacks, etc. At first it seemed to be working. By day 19, I began having uncontrollable muscle shaking. The last day I took it, my throat started closing up. My tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth. Luckily, I had some Xanax. Otherwise I'd been in the ER. I couldn't sleep, think clearly, or simply sit still. I'm sure for some people this medication is helpful. It scared me, cause I was having problems swallowing, and breathing.

February 20, 2015 8:54 PM

Review by Bronwyn W:

I've been taking Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and a foundation to treat my depression. Found it was insufficient on its own so doctor started me on 40mg of Latuda. It worked very well but I just felt "ok" and it was quite expensive. Tried to switch to Abilify but the restlessness was intolerable and the therapeutic effect wasn't nearly as palpable. Switched back to Latuda at 60mg and don't think I'll ever look back. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Effexor, and Cymbalta also.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 9:49 AM

Review by mikrw33 (taken for less than 1 month):

When I was first prescribed it, it was pretty nice. It stabilized my mood and turned off the "static" in my head, and could think way clearer. My family commented on how much I was more like myself again. However, over time, I think it lost its effectiveness and eventually suffered a bout of akathesia. I switched to Geodon, which I find better than Latuda.

January 31, 2015 12:46 PM

Review by Rich 1958:

Have been on Latuda (80 mg) for 3 months and it has done wonders for me. I am primarily manic and Latuda has helped me greatly. Much better than Seroquel and a whole bunch of others. Some mild nausea but if I take it with the 350 calories required this equates to no nausea. still suffer from elevated anxiety but that's another issue.

January 28, 2015 10:23 PM

Review by bpgc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on Latuda for 2 months and for the first time in years I feel happy and content plus I'm not flip flopping between mad confusion to hyperactive depression anymore. It gives me that second to think before I react and that has been all the time I need to see where I could go down the angry paranoid path or CHOOSE to take another route. My anxiety is almost gone with or without benzo's. I smile and have a positive outlook on things now. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is as of now it creates a very uncomfortable energy almost like I can't keep still. So worth it to me I can deal with that. I have been on all the anti crazy and bat shit loony meds out there and this so far has been the best.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 4:18 PM

Review by Girlie_J:

I was a big time researcher of Latuda before, so I thought I'd add my two cents. Latuda is the only antipsychotic that ever worked for me. I was so depressed that I was in pain and the other atypicals didn't do anything but make me feel like a weird zombie with other movement side effects. Latuda works. I have to be on 3 other meds, but this is the backbone of my treatment. Finally they developed what has been a true miracle antipsychotic for me. I cannot say anything less than it saved my life.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 12:41 AM

Review by EyeofPeacock (taken for less than 1 month):

Diagnosed 20 years ago with bipolar 1. Struggled for years to try and manage depression with Paxil and anti anxiety meds. The ups and downs were absolutely wearing me out! Finally, Latuda was advised by my therapist for my psych to prescribe. 8 days in and I feel almost normal! I say "almost" since there is that little uncertainty with any new medicine that it will have staying power. So far, so good!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Yeattabake (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been telling everyone I trust that this is the best medicine I have ever taken! I have tried everything! I mean everything! I only have a little weight gain and that's it. I'm not tired or exhausted. My crashes are like 5 seconds! Seriously! I'm 44 years old I'm a leisure Body Builder and I'm in shape. I've always been in tune with my body. I always feel if I have a cold coming on and I would fight it before it becomes full blown. I know if I'm getting side effects from medicine which I always have from the other medicines. Latuda does not mess with me sexually either. I recommend this medicine!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by 258JJ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have struggled with the depression part of Bi-Polar well, forever. I am 34 finally, I can tell that this medication is not only helping with the bi-polar part but I actually feel GOOD! This medicine is a God send for me. I cannot testify to weight gain or side effects just yet because I have only been taking the medication for about 4 months, HOWEVER, I can say that when I take it at night, I have the most horrific nightmares every night. I am going to try taking in the morning, but I hear it may be a sedative. I do have a history of sleep paralysis but this is a guarantee nightmare for me. A sleep aid like Clonazepam sometimes helps... but it is a gamble. I also take 250mg Lamictal a day and 50mg Pristiq a day.

December 8, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by AnnaGabrielle94:

I've been taking Latuda for about half a year already. It has stopped the voices, and visual hallucinations for a little while. But then they come back after awhile, I'm on the highest dose right now 160mg and I have had less frequent hallucinations but they are still there. I am currently taking it with 5mg of Zyprexa. I also have noticed a notable amount of weight gain, I went from 130lbs to 170lbs. I'm also on 5 other medications, so it's hard to target which is causing the weight gain. I'm also concerned about my blood sugar and the possibility of getting diabetes.

November 28, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Wia:

I'm diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder with psychotic features. When I first started this medication about 8 months ago, I would get extremely tired soon after I took it, also nauseous. I have to take it at night. The tiredness put me in a low mood but not depressed. After steadily taking it, my doctor put me on a stimulant and that cancels out the tiredness. Honestly I'm so happy at this point in time and I've come so far. I have a job now and a 4.5 GPA and I volunteer. It really has changed my life. I also lost almost 40 pounds and I feel healthier and love life. If you take this medicine everyday and stick to it, it really works. If I skip I definitely feel very agitated and paranoid and angry. I take 40mg a night, sometimes I do still get nauseous.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 2:54 AM

Review by Msprettyeyes04 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It's ok, I'm not suicidal anymore because of Latuda. Not too long ago I got off of Pristiq and Lamictal even tried getting off of Vyvanse, everything went downhill from there, so my psych doc decided to put me on Latuda. At first I felt restless at bedtime but now I feel super tired and sluggish, zombie like. Also emotionless so I don't know if I will keep taking it. I want to feel again. Right now I've not been feeling like myself. So we will see what the doctor says.

November 22, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by Tina P. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Latuda changed my life. I feel normal. I'm 48 years old and have been on many, many different types of meds for Bipolar type 1. I was diagnosed when I was 28, and have had quite a roller coaster time until I was put on Latuda 80 mg as well as Wellbutrin XL 300. I also had to add Trazodone 100mg later for sleeping. It's been 3 1/2 years now and I'm married now and taking care of both of my daughters, my grandson, and my husband. It truly has changed my life to stable and normal.

November 20, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by T.R.:

I have been on so many medications that have not worked until I was prescribed Latuda. Everything changed. I feel normal now. It's the best medication for bipolar that I have ever encountered.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

From day one, my mood immediately improved. I felt happier and more energized and started enjoying life again. The problem I have with this medication, however, is that about an hour or two after taking, I am overcome with extreme exhaustion and have to sleep immediately. I can afford this thanks to the discount card, making it around $30 a month.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Gemi77:

I was suicidal and depressed for months. Feels like years. I'm on Wellbutrin as well but have been for years with no improvement. Latuda at 40 mgs has changed my life in 3 weeks. I'm not manic. I'm just normal and happy. High stress situations don't make me spiral, setbacks aren't out of proportion and damn if I'm not in awe that people live like this naturally and take it for granted.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by JLegit (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Latuda, and I only took it for about two weeks before begging to be switched to something else. It might have just been me, but it made me angry and uncomfortable all the time. Restless, pissed off, and definitely did not help my depression. I'm now taking Abilify and Seroquel and those seem to be helping a lot. I'm writing a review as a caution to those just starting: if you get raged out while on this medicine, SWITCH right away! This is not supposed to happen!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by VaorieKay (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Thanks to Latuda, I have my life back! I've taken so many medications in the past with no relief of my symptoms until Latuda! I wish I had known about Latuda years ago.

November 11, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by SuSu PuPu (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have Bipolar depression, schizo effective disorder and PTSD with lots of anxiety. I have been on probably all of the antipsychotics and Latuda is the best so far. I take Klonopin and Viibryd as well. I also have diabetes which makes it hard to find the right medication as most antipsychotics raise your sugar. Latuda has not raised my sugar. I have even lost 20 lbs. The only thing I don't like about Latuda is it makes me feel weak. I have been on for 6 months now. I have no appetite most of the time which in turn makes my sugar drop to low. I do feel more normal on this but I wish there was something even better. I have the card to get Latuda for only 25.00 if you have insurance.

November 8, 2014 6:45 PM

Review by Anonymo:

It's been a love, hate relationship with Latuda for me. After 2 months of using it, I noticed a significant change in my depression, which was fantastic. But, I experience SEVERE nausea even when I eat enough food. I have even thrown up about 6 or 7 times within my 7 months of taking it. Which is unpleasant to say the least. The nausea usually sets in about 30-45 minutes after taking and lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2014 3:28 AM