User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was on 20 mg Latuda with 300 mg Lithium. It was the most normal I have felt in a while. For me it has being weight neutral in comparison with Zyprexa. Zyprexa made me gain 5 pounds per day & 80 pounds in a few days. Latuda gave me more energy to work out. Naturally, if I don't take meds I don't even have to work out & have a fast metabolism & loose weight easily. With meds I need to exercise. However, the main difference is that with Zyprexa I would exercise 5 times per week, 2 hours per day, eat healthy & still gain a ton of weight. Latuda helps me maintain healthy weight. Unfortunately, my doctor for some reason decided to increase my Latuda doze to 40 mg. I am now having muscle spasm, around my eyes."

Dreamer_Me June 30, 2015

"I've been on Latuda for around 8 months now. I have a Dr appointment next week and I am going to ask to switch to something else or add another med to it. I am tired all the time. I can barely stay awake within an hour of taking it. I am emotionless. Never feel better than a 5 out of 10. Don't feel happiness. No joy in any activities. It's definitely good at evening you out....too good. It has not conquered my depression. I find it hard to focus and it is starting to effect my job. I just want to feel happy again."

JennT13 June 24, 2015

"Love this stuff. I felt heavily medicated the first day I was on it, but the second day on I have been a completely different person. Before I was heavily depressed and staying up for days. I never socialized and avoided people. Now I am exercising, socializing and smiling and happy. It's been a lifesaver. I'm not sure I would be here now if I hadn't been given this miracle."

windshawne1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

"40mg latuda Makes my arms hurt. Makes me feel high like a zombie take it at night only. I been getting a lil snappy towards people. I take trazadone 150 mg at night to sleep. Also take hydroxyzine 25mg as needed for anxiety. Bipolar I diagnose. . I hate meds..."

mz parker June 14, 2015

"I've been on Latuda for 8 months now. Got off Risperdal which made me zombie like. I am taking 120mg of Latuda and love this medication. It has been successful in treating my depression/irritability. I am also taking Viibryd and Welbutrin. I have experienced NO weight gain. I recommend giving this medication a try if all others fail."

dagaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2015

"This med did nothing for my Bipolar 1 disorder. It's very expensive if you do not have medical coverage"

Ty-Ty (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

"It did not help at all and my doctor said there's no weight gain yet there was"

Ahufker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

"I've been taking Latuda for over a year now for bipolar 2. It seemed to work well for a few months at 40mg, then stopped working. Upped dose to 60, worked for a few months. Increased again to 80, now ineffective. Now I'm on lamotrigine concurrently - if that helps I will stop taking Latuda. Side effects have been very bad. Never had a panic attack in my life until I took Latuda, now I've had several. Nausea every time I take it. Supposedly this medicine is "weight-neutral", but I gained at least 30 pounds over the past year and a half (I didn't change my diet or exercise habits from before taking it). Now I am eating better and working out, but I doubt if I can lose the weight until I'm off Latuda. Hope to get off it soon!"

spartan2011 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2015

"I've been taking 10mg of Latuda for two days now. I take it in the morning with breakfast, so I haven't experienced nausea. However, I do have more difficulty getting up in the morning, but once I'm up, I seem to be more energetic than I have been in ages. Last night I was watching a comedy show on television and laughed so hard for so long it actually scared me. Like it was completely foreign to me to be express that level of happiness/giddiness. On the flip side, I've noticed that I've gained 4 pounds in two days, so that is totally freaking me out. I have always been a little overweight, so the idea of gaining more weight is untenable for me. I will be watching my weight over the next few days and see how it goes."

longingtobehappy (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2015

"I had been on Effoxor XR forever, and it wasn't working like it used to. It just kept me barely sane. I added Latuda 20mg at night, and very quickly I was feeling normal for the first time in years. No more crying depression, no more overly happiness. But a stable feeling. A happy medium. It didn't make me numb or zombie like. I feel productive for the most part. I sleep better and wake more positive. It has triggered my already sweet tooth, and I've gained weight, but I'm just so relieved with my mood, I can handle it...I like it overall."

lonely one May 22, 2015

"After taking for a week I felt awesome! My mood improved tremendously!! Then at about two weeks my muscles in my hands stiffened up and they were very restless. It was a horrible feeling so I stopped taking it"

Shana1981 May 20, 2015

"Hated it"

dnc1987 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

"Just started 80mg at night with a meal. Was taking Seroquel 400mg at night, gabapentin 4000mg a day and depekote xr. Found a great shrink and was re diagnosed bi-polar I. In the past it was bi polar II. I never gained weight since I am Type 1 diabetic. Along with 0.5mg klonopin twice a day as needed for panic disorder. Life seems brighter when I wake up. I am on no opoid meds. It seems this new drug doesn't spike glucose levels like most bi polar meds eg. Seroquel. "

fridogg May 13, 2015

"I started latuda about 2 weeks ago and am taking the 80 mg So far I have not noticed much change at all. I feel a bit more happy during the day but not much. However, debating on if I should stop taking it due to the horrific side effects I am having. It makes me feel over tired. You know that feeling you get when your to drunk? You wanna go to sleep but your to dizzy and feel like throwing up? It feels like that. Also I become very weak and can hardly pick up anything. I'm hoping these side effects will pass so I can start to understand if it is working for me or not."

Codigorman May 10, 2015

"I took Latuda 20mg po qd for 3wk out of 4wk I got Rx for. During the 1st wk , I felt better. In the 3rd wk, I increasingly felt weak, "drugged" and unable to function. My BP remained normal. At no time, did Latuda helped with my chief symptom -sleeplessness."

otr May 7, 2015

"I started Latuda (20 mg) about 2 weeks ago and felt improvement almost immediately, like within 24 hours. I was extremely skeptical thinking it was just an anomaly but I have felt good every day since starting it. I am bipolar 1 and was in EXTREME depression and anxiety before starting it. I do not take it with food and have had no nausea. (As a matter of fact I had had more nausea before starting Latuda than after! ) I have been on about 8 other meds and none have worked like this. Just 3 weeks ago I could not even sit at the table for a family dinner. I was so depressed and anxious I would leave almost immediately. Now I feel happy ( yes happy!) and sociable. At first it made me sleepy but that one side effect has left."

Girlgeo April 28, 2015

"I switched from Seroquel to latuda 5 days ago, INSTANT IMPROVEMENT! My sweet cravings are gone, I can exercise again, I don't feel like a slug at work. I Have only one complaint. The nausea is pretty bad, I've almost thrown up a couple of times, but right now, the pros outweigh the cons, hopefully the nausea will subside after a while. Ill update in a month"

LydiatheTAT2edLady (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"After trying to commit suicide my psychiatrist put me on latuda it has literally saved my life. I'm on 120 mg at night as well as seroquel trazodone pristiq and tegretol. I'm living life again !"

Mannygene1 April 19, 2015

"I first started latuda at 40mg and it had zero effect. My dose was increased to 80mg and within two days, every single last bit of noise in my head disappeared completely. My focus is excellent now and my life has literally changed because of this drug. My energy is put into things that are important like a clean house and a clean body and I am so happy all the time now. I can't believe how excellent this drug is and I am so happy I was given the right dose to help me live a better life. I'm actually ready to face the world again and get off of disability and go back to work! I CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW MUCH THIS DRUG HAS CHANGED MY LIFE POSITIVELY. Complete 180 degree turnaround!"

Biskits April 9, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Switched to Latuda after suffering a full manic episode. Works so much better than Depakote. No real side effects. Works very well at helping to control my mood-swings and manic energy. Everyone including myself cant believe how well it works for me."

five1three (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've always felt like I live a totally parallel life to everyone around me - Never feeling like I am living a normal life. I was always way up or way down, never a happy medium. Honestly, it was difficult to keep up the charade of tirelessly trying to hide what everyone but me already knew & accepted - I was bipolar. I have tried a flurry of medications in conjunction with my current medication, Adderall - as I have always been classic ADHD. The last medication I tried scared me from even trying any new medications as I suffered from some serious SE of Stevens-Johnson Synd. Reluctantly, I tried Latuda & suddenly, my world was righted & I feel normal. I've never felt better in my entire life (aside from the headaches) I'm reborn baby !"

Tj 45 y/o Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

"After 5 months on this medication it did nothing for my "manic-depressive bipolar disorder" that I was diagnosed with. It caused me to rapidly put on fat and riddled me with anxiety. I've never had a panic attack in my life until I took this medication. I was prescribed latuda 40mg, after 2 months had numerous panic attacks and gained over 15lbs of fat, made me very angry and anti-social, it's also expensive as hell even with insurance. I quit taking it and forced myself to workout and eat clean and I feel 10x better than when I was taking this crap. No more depression, no more panic attacks or anger. My bipolar symptoms are completely gone from just changing my diet and adding structure to my chaotic life."

phyzx (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

"I started Latuda about 4 months ago withgradually increases in dosage. This medication has been a wonderful. I have PTSD and bipolar anxiety/depression. I've taken all the usual Meds depikote, Zoloft and many others with weight gain and other side effects more than I can mention. When it comes to latuda though I have had some restlessness but that only comes when I don't eat proper meals with it. Otherwise I find that with Trazadone and lamotrogine I sleep well and my night terrors are better controlled. I love this medication."

DWJW1314 February 25, 2015

"I've been on Latuda going on two months now and it's just not working. I'm still depressed crying all the time, and have even been violent towards my boyfriend. Also very angry. The side effects are very bad for me since I don't have an appetite. But I was dealing with it. I tried and nothing. Desperately have to try something else."

Kat76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

"I was given Latuda after a psychotic manic episode. Despite the "weight neutral" claims, I gained 13 pounds. I am now weaning as my episode has cleared, and am moving onto Lamictal. Here is a hint for everyone gaining weight from antipsychotics. They trick your body into being Type 2 Diabetic. This changes how your body responds to eating carbs. Cut the carbs, and you won't gain weight. Eat carbs, you most likely will."

Qbug February 22, 2015