User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I had been on Effoxor XR forever, and it wasn't working like it used to. It just kept me barely sane. I added Latuda 20mg at night, and very quickly I was feeling normal for the first time in years. No more crying depression, no more overly happiness. But a stable feeling. A happy medium. It didn't make me numb or zombie like. I feel productive for the most part. I sleep better and wake more positive. It has triggered my already sweet tooth, and I've gained weight, but I'm just so relieved with my mood, I can handle it...I like it overall."

lonely one May 22, 2015

"Hated it"

dnc1987 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

"Just started 80mg at night with a meal. Was taking Seroquel 400mg at night, gabapentin 4000mg a day and depekote xr. Found a great shrink and was re diagnosed bi-polar I. In the past it was bi polar II. I never gained weight since I am Type 1 diabetic. Along with 0.5mg klonopin twice a day as needed for panic disorder. Life seems brighter when I wake up. I am on no opoid meds. It seems this new drug doesn't spike glucose levels like most bi polar meds eg. Seroquel. "

fridogg May 13, 2015

"I started latuda about 2 weeks ago and am taking the 80 mg So far I have not noticed much change at all. I feel a bit more happy during the day but not much. However, debating on if I should stop taking it due to the horrific side effects I am having. It makes me feel over tired. You know that feeling you get when your to drunk? You wanna go to sleep but your to dizzy and feel like throwing up? It feels like that. Also I become very weak and can hardly pick up anything. I'm hoping these side effects will pass so I can start to understand if it is working for me or not."

Codigorman May 10, 2015

"I took Latuda 20mg po qd for 3wk out of 4wk I got Rx for. During the 1st wk , I felt better. In the 3rd wk, I increasingly felt weak, "drugged" and unable to function. My BP remained normal. At no time, did Latuda helped with my chief symptom -sleeplessness."

otr May 7, 2015

"I started Latuda (20 mg) about 2 weeks ago and felt improvement almost immediately, like within 24 hours. I was extremely skeptical thinking it was just an anomaly but I have felt good every day since starting it. I am bipolar 1 and was in EXTREME depression and anxiety before starting it. I do not take it with food and have had no nausea. (As a matter of fact I had had more nausea before starting Latuda than after! ) I have been on about 8 other meds and none have worked like this. Just 3 weeks ago I could not even sit at the table for a family dinner. I was so depressed and anxious I would leave almost immediately. Now I feel happy ( yes happy!) and sociable. At first it made me sleepy but that one side effect has left."

Girlgeo April 28, 2015

"I switched from Seroquel to latuda 5 days ago, INSTANT IMPROVEMENT! My sweet cravings are gone, I can exercise again, I don't feel like a slug at work. I Have only one complaint. The nausea is pretty bad, I've almost thrown up a couple of times, but right now, the pros outweigh the cons, hopefully the nausea will subside after a while. Ill update in a month"

LydiatheTAT2edLady (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"After trying to commit suicide my psychiatrist put me on latuda it has literally saved my life. I'm on 120 mg at night as well as seroquel trazodone pristiq and tegretol. I'm living life again !"

Mannygene1 April 19, 2015

"I first started latuda at 40mg and it had zero effect. My dose was increased to 80mg and within two days, every single last bit of noise in my head disappeared completely. My focus is excellent now and my life has literally changed because of this drug. My energy is put into things that are important like a clean house and a clean body and I am so happy all the time now. I can't believe how excellent this drug is and I am so happy I was given the right dose to help me live a better life. I'm actually ready to face the world again and get off of disability and go back to work! I CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW MUCH THIS DRUG HAS CHANGED MY LIFE POSITIVELY. Complete 180 degree turnaround!"

Biskits April 9, 2015

"Switched to Latuda after suffering a full manic episode. Works so much better than Depakote. No real side effects. Works very well at helping to control my mood-swings and manic energy. Everyone including myself cant believe how well it works for me."

five1three (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

"I've always felt like I live a totally parallel life to everyone around me - Never feeling like I am living a normal life. I was always way up or way down, never a happy medium. Honestly, it was difficult to keep up the charade of tirelessly trying to hide what everyone but me already knew & accepted - I was bipolar. I have tried a flurry of medications in conjunction with my current medication, Adderall - as I have always been classic ADHD. The last medication I tried scared me from even trying any new medications as I suffered from some serious SE of Stevens-Johnson Synd. Reluctantly, I tried Latuda & suddenly, my world was righted & I feel normal. I've never felt better in my entire life (aside from the headaches) I'm reborn baby !"

Tj 45 y/o Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

"After 5 months on this medication it did nothing for my "manic-depressive bipolar disorder" that I was diagnosed with. It caused me to rapidly put on fat and riddled me with anxiety. I've never had a panic attack in my life until I took this medication. I was prescribed latuda 40mg, after 2 months had numerous panic attacks and gained over 15lbs of fat, made me very angry and anti-social, it's also expensive as hell even with insurance. I quit taking it and forced myself to workout and eat clean and I feel 10x better than when I was taking this crap. No more depression, no more panic attacks or anger. My bipolar symptoms are completely gone from just changing my diet and adding structure to my chaotic life."

phyzx (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

"I started Latuda about 4 months ago withgradually increases in dosage. This medication has been a wonderful. I have PTSD and bipolar anxiety/depression. I've taken all the usual Meds depikote, Zoloft and many others with weight gain and other side effects more than I can mention. When it comes to latuda though I have had some restlessness but that only comes when I don't eat proper meals with it. Otherwise I find that with Trazadone and lamotrogine I sleep well and my night terrors are better controlled. I love this medication."

DWJW1314 February 25, 2015

"I've been on Latuda going on two months now and it's just not working. I'm still depressed crying all the time, and have even been violent towards my boyfriend. Also very angry. The side effects are very bad for me since I don't have an appetite. But I was dealing with it. I tried and nothing. Desperately have to try something else."

Kat76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

"I was given Latuda after a psychotic manic episode. Despite the "weight neutral" claims, I gained 13 pounds. I am now weaning as my episode has cleared, and am moving onto Lamictal. Here is a hint for everyone gaining weight from antipsychotics. They trick your body into being Type 2 Diabetic. This changes how your body responds to eating carbs. Cut the carbs, and you won't gain weight. Eat carbs, you most likely will."

Qbug February 22, 2015

"I was on Latuda, for 23 days for my post traumatic stress disorder, manic attacks, etc. At first it seemed to be working. By day 19, I began having uncontrollable muscle shaking. The last day I took it, my throat started closing up. My tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth. Luckily, I had some Xanax. Otherwise I'd been in the ER. I couldn't sleep, think clearly, or simply sit still. I'm sure for some people this medication is helpful. It scared me, cause I was having problems swallowing, and breathing."

Rebecca J (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2015

"I've been taking Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and a foundation to treat my depression. Found it was insufficient on its own so doctor started me on 40mg of Latuda. It worked very well but I just felt "ok" and it was quite expensive. Tried to switch to Abilify but the restlessness was intolerable and the therapeutic effect wasn't nearly as palpable. Switched back to Latuda at 60mg and don't think I'll ever look back. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Effexor, and Cymbalta also."

Bronwyn W February 18, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been in lamictal and Wellbutrin for over 2 years without a lift on severe bipolar depression. It felt like they kept me just from the edge of suicide but in dark misery. We started trying atypical antipsychotics...abilify helped a bit with 8 lbs weight gain, saphris lowered anxiety and weight but left depression untouched then came latuda and life changed at 40 mg. The dark cloud lifted in three weeks and I saw and thought and felt clearly. I'm envious that people feel this way all the time and don't appreciate it all. I'm finally living and not just surviving. Small prices to pay are sleepiness and having to eat so much to take the pills, because it knocks me out I eat later than I'd like and have noticed weight gain."

Gemsly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2015

"I've only been on Latuda 20mg for 2 weeks for bipolar depression. I'm sure my doc will increase my dosage at my next appt this week, but I definitely felt better after a few days at 20mg. Not great, but better than I have in a long time. Kind of a strange feeling to feel a little better after feeling suicidal and depressed for years. I still take clonazepam for my severe anxiety, but I feel latuda can ease my anxiety and depersonalization more with an increase. At first, latuda knocked me out and I slept like a baby. I have trouble sleeping, so this was a nice side effect for me. Now, after almost two weeks at 20mg, this side effect has subdided. Bummer. So far that's the only side effect I've had. No akathisia for now, thank goodness."

canaryblueheart (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

"When I was first prescribed it, it was pretty nice. It stabilized my mood and turned off the "static" in my head, and could think way clearer. My family commented on how much I was more like myself again. However, over time, I think it lost its effectiveness and eventually suffered a bout of akathesia. I switched to Geodon, which I find better than Latuda."

mikrw33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

"Have been on Latuda (80 mg) for 3 months and it has done wonders for me. I am primarily manic and Latuda has helped me greatly. Much better than Seroquel and a whole bunch of others. Some mild nausea but if I take it with the 350 calories required this equates to no nausea. still suffer from elevated anxiety but that's another issue."

Rich 1958 January 28, 2015

"Started this med a week ago today. It has been the only thing that keeps my moods in line and in check. I am on 60mg of it along with 100mg of Wellbutrin. I have never felt this calm and feel as though I can get thru a day now without constantly mood flipping. The only thing I do not like is that it makes me restless and feel like I constantly need to move around."

Scooter89 January 13, 2015

"Been on Latuda for 2 months and for the first time in years I feel happy and content plus I'm not flip flopping between mad confusion to hyperactive depression anymore. It gives me that second to think before I react and that has been all the time I need to see where I could go down the angry paranoid path or CHOOSE to take another route. My anxiety is almost gone with or without benzo's. I smile and have a positive outlook on things now. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is as of now it creates a very uncomfortable energy almost like I can't keep still. So worth it to me I can deal with that. I have been on all the anti crazy and bat shit loony meds out there and this so far has been the best."

bpgc (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2015

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was a big time researcher of Latuda before, so I thought I'd add my two cents. Latuda is the only antipsychotic that ever worked for me. I was so depressed that I was in pain and the other atypicals didn't do anything but make me feel like a weird zombie with other movement side effects. Latuda works. I have to be on 3 other meds, but this is the backbone of my treatment. Finally they developed what has been a true miracle antipsychotic for me. I cannot say anything less than it saved my life."

Girlie_J January 3, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed 20 years ago with bipolar 1. Struggled for years to try and manage depression with Paxil and anti anxiety meds. The ups and downs were absolutely wearing me out! Finally, Latuda was advised by my therapist for my psych to prescribe. 8 days in and I feel almost normal! I say "almost" since there is that little uncertainty with any new medicine that it will have staying power. So far, so good!"

EyeofPeacock (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2014