User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have been taking Latuda for two years. I take 10 onenight and 20mg the next night. I have no side effects and the drug works very well. My only complaint is that I feel very blah. Nothing excites me. I think I am taking too much. I am very sensitive to medicine. I am going to try only 10mg every night and see if that helps....otherwise a wonderful drug."

Snoyl April 25, 2016

"Latuda has saved my life. I have been on it for two years now and haven't had any bipolar symptoms in that time. I have Type I bipolar and prior to Latuda I had been suffering from severe mixed state, and very suicidal. I was starting to lose hope that I would ever get better. I have had a completely normal life for the past two years. I have had serious stress (huge events!) and have stayed stable through everything. This drug is a miracle. I haven't had any side effects that I can notice - I've got issues with short term memory, but I don't know if that is a function of the bipolar itself or the meds. It's always been an issue. And for me, it isn't crippling, I just lose details."

Stable at last (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2016

"I've been on latuda for now almost a year&what a difference it has made in my life! It keeps my mania& depression@ a minimum. It had also helped me with my irrational fears, O.C.D., & ruminations! Thanks to latuda I'm back to a lovely creature!"

lovely creature (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

"I started on 20 mg of latuda. I now take 80 mg at night after supper. I also take pristiq and lorazapam. I have been good for five Years on it. No bad side effects. I do go to bed and take the meds at the same every day."

barbata e brown April 17, 2016

"I have been taking latuda for around a year and a half. The problem is with this medicine is the akathisa, I started with 20 mg, I was prescribed cogentin, it helps, I seem to be good with the 20mg of latuda, I don't want to stop this medication it works good for me, I can't increase my med because of the akathisa, there are other medicines out there . I hope this helps others"

Ugeneus April 15, 2016

"Worst medicine for bipolar I have tried, it made me extremely angry and irritable. I got extreme hot-flashes that got worst during the night, which prevented me from sleeping. It also made me feel more depressed and I actually gained weight on it. The withdrawals weren't that bad but the hot flashes haven't gone away completely. Not a good drug for me personally but I hope it works well for others."

PolarX (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

"Didn't do a thing for my depression. After taking it for just 3months , I came down with the movement disorder. I could not stop suckling and moving my tongue! I would make my tongue raw. I could stop only by chewing gum. Even after having been off the it for almost a year, I still have a problem with my tongue movements. It isn't as bad and I can stop myself from doing it most of the time. I would not recommend this drug to anyone. I was on a very low dose. Some people come down with worse movement disorders than I did. Only take this if you are so depressed you may commit suicide. Otherwise, don't do it. Stay with antidepressants and natural remedies. Like NAC, folate etc.."

T123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"Horrible!!! wouldnt recommend to anybody"

Charlie Dunken April 9, 2016

"Suffering from Bipolar I was prescribed Latuda. Over a 1 year period of taking the drug I lost motivation, became depressed, and bordered suicidal. With a lifetime of struggling with mania and anxiety, I've never been suicidal until taking this drug. It's also a tier 3, so it will run your most expensive copay or thousands a month without copays."

Mike2314 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

"I am 50ish and have had 'issues' since 20ish and never written a review. Diagnosis is 'bi-polar II' (not sure I agree) but, I also have sleep apnea, hypothyroid & seem to have ADD (only H is my non-stop brain). I have taken Wellbutrin, Prozac, geodon, abilify, seroquel, lamictal, cymbalta, zyprexa, lithium & others all at ridiculously high clinical doses - stopped each one cold turkey w/o issue. Lamictal worked a little at a point - Latuda (80mg) is the ONLY drug that has given me hope of feeling normal (along with ADD & thyroid). Working on the c-pap and hoping Latuda keeps working. This brain stuff is a lot of guessing & @ 30 yrs in, I was about to give up on ever feeling ok again - this is awesome! I remember being me & love it ; )"

hoodster April 3, 2016

"I have rapid cycling bi-polar. I started with 20mg of Latuda per day for 4 weeks. Tried it in the morning, and felt so tired and groggy that I could barely function at work. So, I tired taking it at night with klonazepam for sleep and it worked perfectly, except for vivid dreams. At 20mg I was finally feeling happy, smiling, talking to everyone, just all around pleasant. Recently I've bumped up to 40mg and am feeling agitated, cranky, reluctant to talk to anyone, the opposite of where I was emotionally on 20mg. I am going to reduce to 20mg again and see if my positive attitude returns. Definitely take with food. Suicidal thoughts eliminated. Good medication over all!"

jennayjen123 March 31, 2016

"I have been on Latuda 80mg for almost 2 months for bipolar. I can't function. It has made me more depressed than ever and I wasn't even depressed in the first place. All I had was really bad anger. Doctor told me I am bipolar???? I use to be happy and full of energy. Now I can't get out of bed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

"I first started on Latuda at 20 mg two years ago and then my psychiatrist upped it to 80 mg over a month ago. I do not the same irritability and agitation like I had when I was on 60 mg and small things that rubbed me the wrong way before do not have the same affect on me now. I also take Wellbutrin 300 mg and Viibyrd 20 mg in combination with Latuda. All together I now feel more stable than I have since I was 16, and I am now 23."

P93 March 26, 2016

"I am Bipolar II and have been taking Lamictal 200mg for the past year with great success but I started experiencing severe depression after a manic episode. My psych prescribed Latuda about 9 months ago. In the beginning I was on 40 mg and I began to better but my psych thought if 40mg is good 60mg is better. Well that turned me into a zombie. My whole body slowed down. I became extremely claustrophobic like I was going to stop breathing. I had to take it at night with dinner because it knocked me right out. I had my psych reduce my dosage to 40mg then to 20mg. However now that I'm on 20mg I still feel some depression so I don't know if it's worth being on. I do get Latuda for $15 a month using their savings card with my insurance."

GBlacks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2016

"Wonder Drug"

Poolew4eva (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"I'm 21 years old, and have been diagnosed as major depressive and having generalized anxiety since I was 17. Since then I've been on three different antidepressants from citalopram to Zoloft, and they all had mediocre effects on my depression. It wasn't until I saw a new psychiatrist and had a new diagnosis of bipolar l that I started to experience genuine relief. I attribute most of my recovery to Latuda. In the first weeks of taking this medicine I experienced terrible akathisia (the feeling of tickles or ants in your body) which kept me up at night, but after a few weeks I was told to take it with my trazadone (my sleeping pill) at night and the sensation went away. It was probably only a few weeks when I began to feel normal."

Madison Marsh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

"Currently take 80mg once a day for bipolar II. Take with food at night, otherwise feel nauseous. Used to be terrified of going out in public (grocery store) and now I no longer feel anxious going shopping by myself. Had extreme road rage, everyone around me made me angry. I have no road rage at all now, even with LA traffic. I can go dancing with my friends and be completely sober, when before I'd have to have a few drinks before I'd even think about stepping out on the dance floor. Latuda has really changed my life I am more social, less irritable, and just a better person to be around."

Bipolar II (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2016

"Before I was prescribed latuda, I was at the end of my rope. I was SO depressed. My doctor put me on 20 mg and overnight everything was beautiful again. I enjoyed doing things I hadn't in years. The latuda would put me right to sleep and I had vivid dreams. 2 months later, all those good feelings were gone. My doctor bumped me up to 40mg but I only experienced horrible side effects like agitation and anxiety. I'm back at 20mg and I want off it completely. I can't eat or sleep. I have to take xanax to fall asleep now and I feel myself slipping back into depression. I should also mention that whenever I have a drink, I automatically black out so I can't even have a few drinks with my friends anymore."

spookmouse February 23, 2016

"Started this medication for bipolar depression. At first it worked wonderfully. I was happier, open and energetic but after 2 months I started to feel more and more anxious. The anxiety took over my life. I was terrified and I became a total basket case. I stopped taking latuda and I returned to normal. If I hadn't of stopped when I did the latuda would have ruined my life. I will never touch this drug again."

Lila1111 February 21, 2016

"Worked extremely well when I first started it at 20mg- I felt amazing good, started listening to music , became more affectionate and loving with friends and family , I was feeling so good that I started telling people out of the blue that I feel happy for first time in my life. BUT, that didn't last for very long. Over the next 4-5 weeks it completely stopped working and my old depressive symptoms of my bipolar disease came back. My doc upped the dosage to 40mg to see if I could get back to the old positive state I had before at the beginning but no dice . The higher 40mg dose gave me horrible severe anxiousness, agitation , and restlessness. Others have referred to this state of agitation as akathisia. I was climbing the walls!"

Arrowstar777 February 2, 2016

"I cannot express how much better I feel and am after trying Latuda. I'm on the lowest dosage, and I felt the effects within the first few days of taking the 20mg. It has been life changing medication but extremely cost prohibitive. I wish that it wasn't so expensive since it works so well. I used to be irritable, angry and unpredictable--occasionally reclusive and had big manic upswings of extreme activity. I had a hard time being affectionate and open emotionally. Latuda has changed my life. I want to touch my husband, hug my kids and I am not annoyed by everything and everyone around me. I take Clonazepam (Klonopin) with it at night and have not had trouble sleeping at all."

Fox in VA January 28, 2016

"Good Experience overall. More motivated less depressed and no side effects. I take 30mg. You have to take it with food otherwise you'd get nausea."

Felipe056 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

"I don't want to bash this drug because it sounds like it is really good for a lot of people. Also, it is by far the best antipsychotic I have tried in terms of side effects and effectiveness. However, like all antipsychotics I've tried so far (Seroquel, Abilify), it made me emotionally flat and unable to enjoy life. Being on it is better then being depressed, but it took away my ability to enjoy everything I used to (reading a good book, listening to music, looking beautiful scenery or paintings). I am switching over to Depakote, and I can already feel my life coming back as the Latuda goes down."

Anonymous January 21, 2016

"I was looking forward to trying Latuda however in the month that I took it, the side effects were too much for me. I could not sleep, I was restless, irritable, argumentative - basically not pleasant to be around. And it made my muscles ache so bad I could hardly walk. It wasn't for me. Good luck!"

srilamm (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"I have rapid cycling bipolar disorder.I was starting latuda because I wanted to get pregnant and it was suggested by my psychiatrist. While I was on it my moods were rapidly cycling worse than I was when off meds. I had 4 attempts at suicide before the doctor suggested going back to lithium."

Poisonivy89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016