User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Learn more about Losartan.

Diabetic Kidney Disease 3 reviews 13 medications

9.2
High Blood Pressure 75 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Alport Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Losartan reviews 78 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Losartan

Review by Neckra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: 100/12.5mg - no issues been on the medicine now for 2 months. Pressure is now 121/85 from 160/100.

May 23, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by Jobenheimer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I tolerated Losartan MUCH better than Lisinopril - with Lisinopril, I developed not so much the cough most everybody experiences, but a vasovagal response - like gagging, dry heaving, no matter what I was doing or where I was at, with no warning! So that was quickly discontinued at my request and I was placed on Losartan. Now I am on a double dose, since my blood pressure was at 168/114 on not only Losartan BUT atenolol - at 56 years young, nonsmoker, and just a bit too chunky, at 180 pounds - okay, well a lot of chunky, mostly because of eating too much Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. Nevertheless, now I am chilled all the time and leg cramps at night. Nothing that interrupts my day or evening....

May 5, 2014 9:04 AM

Review by katmer:

Cozaar (losartan) for High Blood Pressure: I took 50mg of Cozaar, 1 x daily for 5 days, had bad dreams, lightheaded and dizzy, and started having nosebleeds. I stopped taking it and I'm calling doctor today.

May 2, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by Janypoo (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: I started taking Losartan about 3 weeks ago as a replacement for Lisiniprol, which made me cough all the time. Everytime I take Losartan, 50mg, I get a lot of abdominal and chest discomfort. It wasn't controlling my BP as well as the doctor wanted it to, so she upped my dosage to 100mg. That only led to increased thoracic discomfort, which I am not willing to endure on a daily basis. Moving on to try something else...

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by Marty G:

For High Blood Pressure: Prescribe Losartan March 4th, 2014. Atenolol 50mg before that for the past 20 years just wouldn't get my pressure below 140/85. Within 1 day of starting this medication I casually commented to my wife that I felt like I had been beaten up. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I felt so stiff and sore. The past three days I have felt like my heart is coming out of my chest. Complete loss of appetite. March 7th today and I called my Physician's office and told the receptionist what I was dealing with and explained I would no longer take the medication. This was my first visit to this particular Doctor due to relocating. Expecting a call tomorrow and hopefully go back to Atenolol with a higher dosage.

March 7, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by MikeinKaty (taken for 10 years or more):

For High Blood Pressure: I've been taking Cozaar (aka Losartan) for over 10 years both 25mg and 50mg. A few years ago, I switched to a generic brand but developed dry cough problems immediately. I returned to the Cozaar brand and cough immediately went away. I had not heard of the weight gain problem mentioned here but it too has been a struggle as well. I do take several medicines including Lipitor 40 mg. I've found taking CoQ10 200 mg helps with joint pain, which I believe was attributed to Lipitor. Still trying to figure out what is causing my "heavy legs" when I jog for a few miles nowadays. Never had this issue before by pushing age 60 now, and as mentioned 25-30 lbs extra weight.

February 12, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by ILVHRT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Cause muscular and joint pain; stuffy nose.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: 25mg works fairly well wihtout any side effects, however does not prevent BP from spiking in Dr. office (white coat effect)

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by Flbrook:

For High Blood Pressure: My doctor insisted that I switch from Valsartan to Losartan. It has taken my bp from 120/70 to 178/86. It makes my eyes feel like they are burning. I have been on this for almost two months and I am going to take myself off it.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Poppi Steve:

For High Blood Pressure: Have had days where I feel my heart is beating out of my chest and I can hear it in my ears. Also have had "ringing" in my ears as well.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 8:59 AM

Review by Alingo:

For High Blood Pressure: I am now 56 and for the past two years I have been suffering terrible flushes, profuse sweating, palpitations, and virtually no sleep at night. And this was attributed mostly to menopause. But I feel awful, nauseous and when these heat attacks hit me it really is like someone has hit my chest and tingling into my hands. I have been for ECG's and all was fine. I am a very fit person and do a lot of exercise. However, I have stopped the Losartan and these symptoms are starting to fade.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by Susaka:

For High Blood Pressure: I have had high blood pressure for about 10 years. I was first put on enalapril/hydrochlorothiazide and was on that for about 5 years. I had a chronic cough while on that, but I tolerated it since it controlled my blood pressure well. It was usually around 115/75. I finally asked my doctor if I could try a different medicine, and he gave me Losartan (50 mg)/hydrochlorothiazide(12.5). I have had absolutely no side effects and my blood pressure is consistently in the 115/75 range.

October 1, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by golfer in my dreams:

For High Blood Pressure: Works great except for runny nose for a few hours after I take it. Linsopril made me cough 24/7. Had massive heart attack 4 months ago and medicines side effects don't compare to fear & pain of that attack. Diet & exercise & Dr. Said blood results better than good.

September 7, 2013 10:57 AM

Review by shaaaa:

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken 1- 100 mg per day for 1 month. I have runny nose and cough and it is not going. Pressure is wonderful. I am tired of the runny nose and cough and I am sure everyone around is also. Doctor suggested to try Metoprolol. I will maybe try it out tonight.

August 28, 2013 7:49 PM

Review by Jen S. (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: I've been taking Losartan for less than a month, but I had, and still have, side effects immediately after taking it. I feel dizzy, warmer than usual, thirsty, bloated, tired, have rapid heartbeat with 'thumps', headaches, and have blurry vision. Also, I gained 7 pounds and haven't changed my diet in any way..and I'm active. I'm going back to my doctor next week to see if there's something else I can take instead of this.

August 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by romeojd:

For High Blood Pressure: Very good medicine, after first month almost no side effects.

August 17, 2013 6:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Have been on Lotensin and amlodipine for years. Blood Pressure had started rising over a period of several months. Dr put me on Losartan. Experienced copious sweating on third day. After 5 days, have no idea what BP is, but started having problems breathing on 4th day. (have COPD, few breathing problems at this point). The next day was worse. Took 5th dose last night and was up all night, gasping for oxygen and coughing up thick mucus. Spent the night sitting up wondering if I should go to ER. Feel much better this afternoon, although my chest is still sore and my arms ache badly in spite of taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia. Better this morning, chest sore, still trying to cough up mucus, chest tight.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 3:22 PM

Review by deeznuttz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Has brought down my pressure greatly.

July 19, 2013 1:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: I take 25mg of Losartan for mildly elevated Blood Pressure. I'm a 49 y/o male. It's the best in terms of not having side effects as the others did and had lowered BP from 145/80 to 116/65. The only catch is I can't drink coffee with it as it will spike it back up to 145/80 again.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2013 6:59 PM

Review by Ashkea1920 (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Had taken Micardis. Worked very well. Then Dr. said I could go on lisinopril. It would be much cheaper. Had a terrible cough. Then he switched me to losartan. Been on this a week and cough is much worse. I did not have a problem paying for Micardis. I'm going back.

June 29, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by JSD.PS:

For High Blood Pressure: I was taking 20 mg daily of Losrtan for about a month, and I experienced a variety of side effects including severe pain in my arms, loss of sex drive, lack of sensation during sex. Now that I have stopped taking Losartan, I have no more pain in my arms, my sex drive and sexual sensation is back to normal.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 7:18 PM

Review by Queenpinnana:

For High Blood Pressure: The doctor put me on 50mg losartan a month ago, as new insurance wouldn't pay for the Candesartan I was on. It works great keeping blood pressure at good levels along with the Metoprolol I'm on also. For the first 3 weeks I started off having mild headaches that finally disappeared, and now I have a slight sore throat all of the time, a slight hacking cough, and only one nostril that runs constantly....weird, I know. I'm going to give it another month and see if these side effects disappear like the headaches.

June 15, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by BREO (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Very Dizzy, Dry Mouth, thirst at night.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2013 4:58 PM

Review by Caretaker 24/7:

For High Blood Pressure: My 90 yr old Mother has been on generic Losartin for 8 years. She took 50mg a day and it controlled her blood pressure. We have a new Dr. and he upped her dosage to 75mg which seemed to do well until she got Type A influenza. Now she is recuperating and when we give her losartan it seems to knock her blood pressure really low and makes her weak for 2 hrs. She has had a hacking cough and recurrent bronchitis for years. I did not know that could be a side effect of the losartan. These are the only meds she takes except for a daily multi-vitamin.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 11:22 AM

Review by Tocomc (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Cozaar (losartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Losartan with Atenolol for 6 1/2 years after triple bypass surgery. With proper eating and exercise, the results have been very good. My blood pressure is well maintained in the 120/130 over 64/76 range. I am 69 years old and find that low sodium diet and limited meats, along with walking exercise is an excellent combination. GET THE WEIGHT OFF AND START WALKING 30 to 40 minutes and cut the TV off!

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2013 10:13 PM