User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

"My doctor started me off on 1mg 3 times/day and I kept trying less (with doctor permission) and am now down to .25 in afternoon and at bedtime with an additional .25 during night if needed - it works fine for me and minimal side effects."

Senior++ July 18, 2015

"I've been prescribed lorazepam for six plus years. It started for what I found out was anxiety due to a very stressful work environment and caring for my aging mother...I couldn't manage life. I sometimes I couldn't sleep either. I started taking lorazepam as needed...approximately 20 to 30 minutes before an exceptionally stressful situation and it worked great. I was able to slow down, omit the anxiety so I wasn't reactive and make my points in a clear and concise form. I started taking them for sleep, to stop the committee from meeting in my mind 1 to 2 mg as needed. I never feel sedated in the morning they work great. My physician thought it would be prudent to transfer me to Valium because I've been taking lorazepam to long....now"

The Female Version if the Mad Hatter June 10, 2015

"It works GREAT!! I'm 32 yo. I have always been a very light sleeper. Toss and turn alll night. Anxiety causes me to lay there and constantly think about everything. I've been on Xanax and too many to name. None work as good as this. So happy every day that I finally get a full nights sleep with no tossing and turning. No side effects. Highly recommend it!!"

Nichole3232 April 30, 2015

"i take 0.5mg at bedtime. It does make your eyes dry so I use a lubricant eye ointment. Works fine."

Mom two twins (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2015

"Gave me my life back. When my insomnia kicked into full gear I tried every natural method I could for only a temporary fix. After years of running on no sleep I ended up in an emergency room where I was given this medicine and have been taking it ever since. I am able to take it right when I go to bed and awaken normally. 1.5 mg."

Dinoscruzin (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been on this nightly for about 4 years now because of back pain I don't sleep well. It does a good job of helping me sleep but now it is causing my eyes to become very dry so I will look for an alternative."

skiguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

"Have taken lorazepam now for a year only on and off when insomnia becomes unbearable. They are little life savers only take 0.5 mgs, took 1 mg once and had a bad day next day depressed and drowsy the whole day. Menopause is a challenging time with the awful insomnia. I have also taken night nurse and sometimes 3 mgs melatonin. It is hard to get doctor to prescribe the tablets but they are worth taking just to get one nights sleep."

phildar (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2014

"Started taking 2mg. Before bed...able to sleep for 5-6 hrs. Feeling tired , fuzzy most of next day. Worried all day about sleeping . Improved sex life, greatly improved ejaculation control."

Kenamaro September 14, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must."

Joe9393 August 9, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The loss of my best friend has changed my world. I have the worse time getting to sleep because I can't deal with not be able to talk to her anymore. I pray a lot and say thank you Lord over and over like my mantra and sometimes that works. Now Lorazepam has become my close friend as it puts me to sleep and stops the racinG thoughts that are RELENTLESS! I take between 2-3 mg one hour before bed time, because I also take it for anxiety in the day at times. Once in he ER I was given 4mg intravenously and it knocked me out. I had worked a 19 hour shift and my heart was racing. I love my Lorazepam."

JanetCStone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2014

"I had real bad anxiety, which put me in the hospital. This medicine saved my life. It calms my soul, and stops my minds from racing to where I can't sleep and I'm exhausted and irritable the next day. When I was not sleeping and stressed out I would sleep for about 3 hours, which did not help my heart, I have bradycardia - slow heart rate. So imagine that on no sleep. I can't say enough about it, except it saved my life. I hope this helps! "

Cathy00 June 16, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "My experience with Ativan (lorazepam) has been one I've come to love and set the bar high when it comes to sleep. I developed insomnia as a result of having to take opioid medication for my CRPS/RSD in addition of the fact that I'm slowly recovering from the death of my best friend who passed in 2010. I have been on every insomnia medicine there is. My current regimen of the normal opiate and muscle relaxants, one to 1.5 grams of Keppra, 555mg valerian root, 10mg of melatonin, 25mg of amitriptyline, and adding up to 4mg of Ativan, depending on the next day's tasks. Works like a charm every night. "

RickyRX (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "Use 0.5mg a night for insomnia. Works great and puts me to sleep quick. Feel good in the morning."

Bill710 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My problem is waking up after 2 hrs deep sleep and unable to get back to sleep. Was prescribed lorazapam 1mg. I cut the pill in half and lay it on my end table. When I awaken from my 2hrs sleep I reach out grab one of the halves and back to sleep for 4 hrs. Generally wake up refreshed. Works well for me. I don't take this on a regular basis. 30 pills will last me 3mos."

rabb December 9, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "This medicine has given me a good few hours sleep for the past three nights. I had previously not been sleeping more than an hour or two for several weeks previous."

honeycomb (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking lorazepam 1mg. and took it a few months for insomnia. One night I tried taking half. When I woke up the next morning, I realized it worked. Now I've been on 0.5mg for about 4 months. For some people this may work. Try reducing the mgs gradually."

pfraga July 19, 2013

"I have experienced frequent daytime crying spells since taking 1mg of lorazepam for insomnia, but I do sleep well."

teardropper (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2013

"Fell asleep easily. Stayed asleep all night. No hangover."

COlleenella March 18, 2013

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am a addict in recovery and have been clean for 10 years, I have been prescribed Ativan for both anxiety and sleep, I am a 3rd shift worker and feel this medication can be "psychological addicting" so I do my best to always check my motive for taking it, I try not to take it more than 3 days in a row and (only once a day)."

earthease (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For when my mind won't shut off at night, no matter how tired I am, I have my lorazepam. I cut them in half so they last me longer. I tend to take them after 2-3 days of not sleeping and they work great. You don't feel anything, no sleepiness, grogginess, or tiredness. Just take it an hour before bedtime and you can continue to watch TV or do whatever, knowing that half an hour after you hit the pillow you'll be bored into sleep."

Henry_4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great medicine to help you sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2012

"I am a 75 year old male who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I have been taking 1mg of Lorazepam at bedtime for 7 yrs now and I am able to sleep."

LouPD February 27, 2012

Ativan (lorazepam): "This didn't help my insomnia at all. If anything, it makes my mind think even more. I have even more trouble sleeping than when I was on Elavil 25mg or Zopiclone 7.5mg. It's frustrating since I'm only 20 years old and I've been suffering from insomnia for 2 and a half years now."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

"Lorazepam was an answer to my severe insomnia prayer. I've been taking it for a couple of years now and only had to stop when I was pregnant. It really works for insomnia. I take it about 45 minutes before bed and fall asleep and stay asleep. I do not feel groggy in the morning or sleepy during the day. Nothing else has worked for me. I have no side effects from it, that I know of. Talk to your doctor about it if your insomnia hasn't been helped by other medicines/therapies and you need relief."

ktracy26 January 11, 2012

"Great help with anxiety and insomnia. Had no side effects."

ethelsid November 8, 2011