User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

Review by Cathy00:

I had real bad anxiety, which put me in the hospital. This medicine saved my life. It calms my soul, and stops my minds from racing to where I can't sleep and I'm exhausted and irritable the next day. When I was not sleeping and stressed out I would sleep for about 3 hours, which did not help my heart, I have bradycardia - slow heart rate. So imagine that on no sleep. I can't say enough about it, except it saved my life. I hope this helps!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 11:44 PM

Review by RickyRX (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ativan (lorazepam): My experience with Ativan (lorazepam) has been one I've come to love and set the bar high when it comes to sleep. I developed insomnia as a result of having to take opioid medication for my CRPS/RSD in addition of the fact that I'm slowly recovering from the death of my best friend who passed in 2010. I have been on every insomnia medicine there is. My current regimen of the normal opiate and muscle relaxants, one to 1.5 grams of Keppra, 555mg valerian root, 10mg of melatonin, 25mg of amitriptyline, and adding up to 4mg of Ativan, depending on the next day's tasks. Works like a charm every night.

March 28, 2014 5:04 AM

Review by Bill710 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ativan (lorazepam): Use 0.5mg a night for insomnia. Works great and puts me to sleep quick. Feel good in the morning.

January 13, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by rabb:

My problem is waking up after 2 hrs deep sleep and unable to get back to sleep. Was prescribed lorazapam 1mg. I cut the pill in half and lay it on my end table. When I awaken from my 2hrs sleep I reach out grab one of the halves and back to sleep for 4 hrs. Generally wake up refreshed. Works well for me. I don't take this on a regular basis. 30 pills will last me 3mos.

December 9, 2013 11:44 AM

Review by honeycomb (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam): This medicine has given me a good few hours sleep for the past three nights. I had previously not been sleeping more than an hour or two for several weeks previous.

August 2, 2013 11:56 AM

Review by pfraga:

I started taking lorazepam 1mg. and took it a few months for insomnia. One night I tried taking half. When I woke up the next morning, I realized it worked. Now I've been on 0.5mg for about 4 months. For some people this may work. Try reducing the mgs gradually.

July 19, 2013 2:26 AM

Review by teardropper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have experienced frequent daytime crying spells since taking 1mg of lorazepam for insomnia, but I do sleep well.

June 20, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by COlleenella:

Fell asleep easily. Stayed asleep all night. No hangover.

March 18, 2013 5:15 AM

Review by earthease (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ativan (lorazepam): I am a addict in recovery and have been clean for 10 years, I have been prescribed Ativan for both anxiety and sleep, I am a 3rd shift worker and feel this medication can be "psychological addicting" so I do my best to always check my motive for taking it, I try not to take it more than 3 days in a row and (only once a day).

November 29, 2012 4:37 AM

Review by Henry_4 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For when my mind won't shut off at night, no matter how tired I am, I have my lorazepam. I cut them in half so they last me longer. I tend to take them after 2-3 days of not sleeping and they work great. You don't feel anything, no sleepiness, grogginess, or tiredness. Just take it an hour before bedtime and you can continue to watch TV or do whatever, knowing that half an hour after you hit the pillow you'll be bored into sleep.

July 12, 2012 10:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Great medicine to help you sleep.

May 22, 2012 8:26 PM

Review by LouPD:

I am a 75 year old male who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I have been taking 1mg of Lorazepam at bedtime for 7 yrs now and I am able to sleep.

February 27, 2012 10:05 PM

Ativan (lorazepam): This didn't help my insomnia at all. If anything, it makes my mind think even more. I have even more trouble sleeping than when I was on Elavil 25mg or Zopiclone 7.5mg. It's frustrating since I'm only 20 years old and I've been suffering from insomnia for 2 and a half years now.

January 19, 2012 4:02 PM

Review by ktracy26:

Lorazepam was an answer to my severe insomnia prayer. I've been taking it for a couple of years now and only had to stop when I was pregnant. It really works for insomnia. I take it about 45 minutes before bed and fall asleep and stay asleep. I do not feel groggy in the morning or sleepy during the day. Nothing else has worked for me. I have no side effects from it, that I know of. Talk to your doctor about it if your insomnia hasn't been helped by other medicines/therapies and you need relief.

January 11, 2012 2:14 PM

Review by ethelsid:

Great help with anxiety and insomnia. Had no side effects.

November 8, 2011 7:36 AM

Review by dependant4:

Ativan (lorazepam): I use this more for anxiety but it does calm me down to be able to sleep.

May 18, 2011 10:15 PM

Review by benzodiazepine:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan is a great medicine and glad my psychiatrist prescribed me 1 mg 2 times a day. Though I use that as well as Klonopin but Ativan gets me to sleep sometimes and Klonopin keeps me asleep. Overall I believe its a God send.

October 19, 2010 3:33 AM

Review by jroxx:

Ativan (lorazepam): I have taken just about every drug known to man and found that Ativan works best. Calms me right down and actually lets me sleep ALL NIGHT !

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2009 10:58 PM

I take Lorazepam in the 0.5mg dosage about once a week. It was originally given to me in the ER when I'd had a fast heart rate due to a bad asthma attack. It helped me sleep in the hospital. Then I asked that it be prescribed so I could go on a vacation with husband, who snores. It puts me to sleep faster than he can really get to snoring, and I sleep through the night. Even if I get up once during the night I go right back to sleep. Now I take it about once a week, and it also calms any anxiety related racing thoughts that invade my sleep. I don't want to take it more than that as I don't want to form a habit with it. But it is nice to have that assurance that I'll get a good night's sleep and wake up happy.

November 4, 2009 7:59 AM

Review by Chrystal_Joy:

Ativan (lorazepam): I very much appreciate the quickness of the calming from an anxiety attack.

September 23, 2009 12:52 AM

Review by NatalieIsSleepy:

This did nothing for me and my insomnia. It worked great the first 2 days I took it. It's great for stressful situations when you feel like you are going to have a panic attack but for me and insomnia it didn't do anything.

June 3, 2009 3:28 PM

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan is wonderful for dealing with a stressful job, failing marriage, aging parents and restless leg. My doctor prescribed this medication for me so I can relax at night. I was well rested and the next day I felt more energized.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2008 1:19 PM

Ativan (lorazepam): I have chronic pain and have had difficulty sleeping for many years. I've used several other medicines that work well for a while or leave me with a sleep "hangover". I've been using this medicine for a little over a month and I'm feeling much better, my pain is less and I feel very rested in the morning. I'm very thankful.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2008 4:13 PM

Ativan (lorazepam): I find when I have those nights that my brain just can't settle down, either a .5 or 1 mg Ativan will help me relax just enough to get a restful sleep. Usually I feel totally energized and fresh the next morning. This is the only thing I have found in almost 20 years that works. However, I can only use it on my worst nights, as it is addictive. That's the only drawback.

242 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2008 12:43 AM