User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Worked okay.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 21, 2012 8:16 PM
Review by Yekke: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Of all the medicines I have tried for alleviating anxiety, this was the ONLY one that really worked. I suffer from the co-morbidity of depression as well as mild ADHD and am now trying 1-3mg (as needed) usually 1mg in the morning and 2mg if I experience panic attacks. It has helped me function normally during periods of unbelievable stress (divorce, bankruptcy, separation from my beloved kids) and ongoing emotional trauma. It doesn't interfere with other medicines (Zoloft and Concerta) and is wonderfully calming.

August 18, 2012 5:41 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I was given Ativan before having an MRI done. I have extreme claustrophobia and was unable to get the MRI done even the open MRI type machine. I took 2mg. one hour before the test. Right up until the test I was terrified. However, within five minutes, being in the MRI machine, I was out! I mean out, in a different world. It was scarey. I had an IV placed and didn't feel a thing. The whole test (an hour or longer) went perfectly. Here is the really scarey part. I came home and went about my usual business. At supper, read the paper, even drove in town. The next day I had absolutely no memory of the previous day. The Ativan caused severe amnesia.

August 17, 2012 8:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I've been taking Ativan for almost 4 yrs now. I take 0.5mg 2-4 times a day depending on how my day is going. It works very well for me. When I start feeling anxiety I start getting gaggy and I take a pill and within 15-20 mins I am calm. Only side effect I had was a little dizzy the first time taking it and sleepy, but went away after the first day. My only problem now is I have social anxiety and it doesn't help with that. I give this medicine a 10 .

August 15, 2012 2:08 AM
Review by pitasmom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I lost my darling husband 5 weeks ago. My doctor gave me Lorazepam 0.50 mg. I still get upset but I'm much better than I was. The crying and not eating was making me feel so much worse. These pills are a God send.

August 14, 2012 6:49 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lorazepam: Works pretty good for anxiety if taken the right way.

July 30, 2012 7:11 PM
Review by minuit (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lorazepam: While Ativan definitely helped me deal with anxiety for short periods of time after administration, I found that it gave me awful rebound anxiety within 4-6 hours after as it began to wear off. It is very short acting, which can be great for taking care of acute panic / anxiety attacks, but it's NOT a good choice for individuals who must take a it multiple times a day.

July 29, 2012 5:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): It worked okay, but the half-life for me wasn't enough. It seemed as soon as the Ativan wore off, the anxiety came back swinging.

July 24, 2012 4:28 PM
Review by LillianEster (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lorazepam: Effective but will make you drowsy in the beginning. You have to get used to it.Only used during short periods of time when anxiety seemed to be an issue in my life. Dr told me it doesn't work as well the longer you are on it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 22, 2012 6:06 PM
Review by grimreaper (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I was prescribed the 0.5mg tabs for anxiety and panic attacks. I have only been taking them for a few days now but they definitely do calm me down. The only side effects I get are a little sleepiness and a slight headache. I don't think the 0.5mg tab would be enough for a full on panic attack, I think I would need to take 3 or 4 of them. My only problem with these pills is that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hours for it to fully kick in.

June 22, 2012 1:43 PM
Review by vermaelen (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

lorazepam: I take Lorazepam 1mg for social anxiety and Cerebral Palsy. It works really good for me. It really helps muscle spasm I have. It has really helped me a lot!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2012 6:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): After serveral failed attemps of using SSRI's to help with my panic attacks, my Dr perscribed me 0.5mg of Ativan to use when needed to "break the cycle" of panic. Along with everyone else, I'm telling you to use with caution if you are taking Ativan, because it is very addicting. I'm 21 yr old female who has suffered from panic attacks since I was 15. Ativan is a great safety net when needed, no side effects except some small cloudiness. Use with caution and be knowledgeable. Learn what panic is, what sets you off, and how to use coping mechanisms before using medication. And always do research on what medications you are being prescribed and be the judge if this medicine, in the long term, will benefit you. Knowledge is the key to beating panic.

May 2, 2012 12:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I've had horrible traumas happen when I was younger that still haunt me. I wake up shaking and can't sleep on my own. I've been on Seroquel, Buspar, and Vistaril. None helped. My doctor finally prescribed Ativan and it has worked wonders! I feel great, don't wake up shaking, can actually sleep, and feel calm. Love it.

April 30, 2012 8:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I've suffered from anxiety disorder for years and have tried several different medications like Xanax and Klonopin but they made me too drowsy. Ativan works well and has very little sedating effect.

April 17, 2012 8:23 PM
Review by allstressedout: User Rating:

lorazepam: My psychiatrist has prescribed this medicine for my acute anxiety for years. Rarely did I ever need it while I was on Paxil. About 3 months after I had weaned myself of Paxil I started having anxiety attacks again, and rather than get back on it I resorted to taking 1mg lorazepam as needed for about a month. I got back on Paxil and found discontinuing lorazepam to be moderately difficult. I had some major sleep disturbances, along with elevated anxiety and paranoia. It took me about 3 days at 0.25mg for these to go away. I recommend this medicine as a supplement to an antidepressant, but not as a stand-alone remedy.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2012 1:09 AM
Review by dan131: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): It works well for my anxiety, but tends to last longer than I need it to. Also I get an odd effect when taken with my Ritalin. It causes me to remain focused but on many random tasks so its some times counter productive at work.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2012 11:58 PM
Review by Jakedanger59: User Rating:

lorazepam: I have had really bad anxiety and panic attacks because I'm a bad hypochondriac and am very afraid of vomiting. So I was prescribed it and I have 1/2 a pill whenever I need it, and it takes it away and I enjoy the rest of my day instead of freaking out. I have had NO SIDE EFFECTS.

March 4, 2012 7:01 PM
Review by ra ra:

Ativan (lorazepam): I take 0.5 and my doctor told me to cut the pill in half because I have a new born baby and take a whole one at night to help me sleep. The halves have been working great it relaxes me to the point if I want to go to sleep I can. I have generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. I'm always worrying about me dying or my health or thinking something is wrong with me or death is coming. My mind would race bad. I also take Prozac thats a good pill. I also feel lightheaded feeling of passing out but when I take Ativan it stops me from thinking about the things that make me anxious.

February 15, 2012 9:03 AM
Review by creater7: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan 0.5mg calms me down considerably within 30 minutes, but the side effects are so bad that I can't continue to take it. I experienced EXTREME, loss of energy, tiredness, laziness, apathy, and increase in appetite. This might be okay for someone who's at home trying to recover from panic attacks, but not for me. I work 5 days a week and this past week that I was only taking 1 x 0.5mg pill a day was the absolute worst week I've ever had at work, living in a fog and totally wiped out of energy. I hardly got ANYTHING done which is totally out of character for me. Also when this medicine wears off in a few hours it makes me very irritable and nervous.

January 12, 2012 1:50 PM
Review by Lance 89: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan always helps calm me down 0.5 mg dose, but when it wears off it makes me a little extra nervous but all in all a very effective medicine. Side effect is drowsiness and laziness haha. But I function so much better when my mind doesn't have the anxiety.

January 8, 2012 9:58 PM
Review by lauracrew: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I started taking Ativan about 4 months ago and I found it was very effective. It saved my life. I suffered really badly with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. This tablet stops the thoughts racing through my mind and calms me down straight away.

December 20, 2011 10:57 AM
Review by ilovemydog: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan has been a life saver on several occasions in treating my ongoing anxiety; however, I hate that it's so 'short lived'. I take it only when I need it but have noticed that the more I need it, the stronger dose I need as well. I started out by breaking my 1mg tabs in half, now I find myself taking 1-2mg at a time in order to feel any relief from the anxiety.

December 11, 2011 3:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I've had very little side effects with this medicine and it quickly takes the edge off of a panic attack.

December 6, 2011 3:21 PM
Review by believer now: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I have just taken Ativan 1mg this morning. I feel just like I felt before all of this anxiety took over my life. I am happy to be me again, hopeful for it to be this easy for future attacks. I am so tired of the doctors in the ER knowing me by face and first name basis because of this condition. I started to lose my mind and had my entire family worried about me. But now after just 1mg of Ativan just today, I feel like I can get through this. If you experienced a panic attack and you are not stressed out you too will think that you are being mis-diagnosed just like me all 17 times in 2 months in the ER, but after taking Ativan I believe the doctors now and I thank them!

November 30, 2011 3:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I have been on Ativan since January 2011, started out with 0.5mg then went to 1mg and have felt better. I used them not only for my anxiety but also to sleep because I have a hard time sleeping at night. I now feel that I can stop taking the medicines for the anxiety, have not had an attack for months but take the medicines to sleep at night. I tried to stop taking Ativan and the withdrawals were so bad I had to start taking them again and now going to see my doctor to help me come off them.

November 15, 2011 12:46 PM