User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Review by KeishaCakes (taken for less than 1 month):

My Anxiety started when I had a big CNA state test. I was so damn nervous and shaking I could have sworn I was going to stop breathing. From there on I kept having anxiety of being nervous feeling of being scared to drive and etc thinking and feeling stupid. My doc tried me on 0.5's and my hands aren't shaky from nerves I have been more social and speaking up more. I feel so much better and I'm thank full for lorazepam.

July 16, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by Lynette in Texas (taken for less than 1 month):

Have been having every day adrenaline in chest with heavy feeling, diagnosed with anxiety after 8 trips to ER. Started Zoloft but it made my anxiety ten times worse. I now take 0.5mg of Ativan as needed, it helps get through the day. I am usually dizzy on most days and have a heaviness in chest.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Magy99:

Ativan (lorazepam): I was diagnosed with Graves/Hyperthyroidism in Feb 2014, I was given 1 mg of Lorazepam on one of my trips to the ER because of my Hyperthyroidism. This medication is the best in it's class, I also occasionally take propranolol 10mg for heart palpitations, they both work perfect together. Already had RAI 4 weeks ago but am having bouts of hyper till thyroid is completely off. The 0.5 mg doesn't do much but the 1 mg is Excellent.

July 2, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by Lestress74 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken Lorazepam for ten years. I use it sparingly, and it does the job, mostly at night when I cannot sleep and I have to use it when I get my bouts with arrhythmia, as it calms me down enough so I can get through it and stop it. I do not sleep well at all, and so even just a half of a pill works, all in the mind. I take 0.05Mg. which is nothing, but for me it has been a life saver. I have never had side effects, and I never take more than is needed. I think the most I ever took, was two in one day. Sometimes I go three or four days without it, and then if I am really stressed, I take one and work on getting calmed down. My life is in stress mode all the time for the past ten years or more. It works.

June 22, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Had a major panic attack back in January - never had one before (no family history) - horrific feeling. Had to be taken by an ambulance to local ER. Doctor there gave me prescription for 15 5mg pills in case anxiety came back. One day sitting at my desk I started feeling 'lightheaded' and knew something wasn't right. An anxiety was starting to build - your body automatically starts to scan itself for any problems. Took one pill and 30 mins later I was back to normal - my mind wasn't racing anymore. Lorazepam works great for me. I always carry with me anywhere I go - just in case.

June 18, 2014 2:52 PM

Review by Ms G.:

It makes me sleepy. I like to be alert.

June 15, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by Slimmmz:

Ativan (lorazepam): Amazing it works so well.

June 11, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by SinatraFan:

Had a sort of nervous breakdown during a trip. Could not catch my breath and could not sleep for 4 days. Horrible feeling of anxiety. Dreaded the night. Started 1mg Ativan at night only. Was a God-send. Worked like a charm and gave me my life back. I went to therapy and continued the nightly 1 mg for 3 months. Became dependent as everyone does. I then "pill chopped" my way off from 1mg to less than 1/2 mg over the next 3 months. After 6 months I was off completely. Feel good and glad to be pill free for 5 weeks now. Properly used - this medicine can be a lifesaver. I still have them for peace of mind but find now I can live without it.

June 4, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam): I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks that happen unexpectedly. I am also taking an SSRI with the Ativan but the Ativan is on an as needed basis and has helped tremendously the tightness in my chest is relieved and the irregular heartbeat slows down, anxiety and panic is a very scary thing to experience and Ativan has helped me get through those tough times, would absolutely recommend it.

June 3, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Delia Marie (taken for less than 1 month):

I have really bad flight anxiety but wanted to travel to a family reunion so my Dr. prescribed Lorazepam. I only took 1/2 of a 1mg pill an hour before my flight and I was completely calm for the entire 4 hr flight. I thought it might make me sleepy but I was awake and alert and talked with my family member the entire flight. It was a life saver.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by MnAMccarty (taken for less than 1 month):

I just barely started having anxiety attacks, and I am 18. Almost 19. I went to the insta care and they gave me this prescription, at first I took a half of one it made me feel way weird, but I have been taking lower then a half. It's been Calming me down, been really tired though.. And been vomiting and going to the bathroom a lot. I don't know if that's good or not. It's harder for me to sleep at night.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by ktowngirl:

Got it for flight phobia and even I hate medication but this is the best ever. I am so calm before and during the flight and all I take is a quarter. I even looked out of the window and found it pretty. Without this medication I would never do it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 10:46 AM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ativan (lorazepam): Loved it, love it still but no longer allowed prescriptions due to strength & dependency issues. Was taken as needed to treat anxiety and worked relatively quickly, generally would feel better within ten minutes. Took one almost everyday for 8 wks before going on antidepressants and then had to taper off them. Have kept a small amount on me for extremely bad days though.

May 17, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by bodhibelle:

On medication for 20 years. Stopped abruptly. Proud I stopped but didn't know I needed to taper. Have been very fuzzy in my head since stopping approx 3 weeks ago. Dizzy, short tempered, noise sensitive. Good medication but people need education on discontinuing medication.

May 14, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by Sunshinesmb:

Lorazepam has saved me from anxiety many times. I personally believe this medicine is best used when needed rather than every day. When I take 0.5mg, I feel relaxed and my mind is clear, all my worries seem minuscule. It seems to slow down my cycle of constant worry. It does take about 45 minutes to really kick in, and peaks about 2 hours after taking it. The effects last 4-5 hours. If I take 1mg, the amount it lasts stays roughly the same, it's just a stronger feeling and does make me very tired. Taking it when needed is a life saver. However, I have taken 0.5mg every day for a week once and when I stopped, I felt a slight increase in anxiety and other symptoms such as insomnia and diarrhea that lasted 1-2 days. GREAT when anxiety is unbearable.

May 9, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by Sill (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ativan (lorazepam): Best anti-anxiety medicine.

April 26, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Phone cord:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ended years of misery, acid reflux, etc.

April 19, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by ocd/anxiety girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and depression. It has worked wonders when I start to suffer. I take 1 mg in the morning and I feel like my old self again. However, I'm starting to wonder if it is causing some of my depression. Once the medicine wears off my mood crashes. I get very emotional, anxiety creeps up, agitated, and very depressed. I pop another one and my mood stabilizes. Another thing, it is very habit forming so don't stop taking it abruptly. Consult your doctor first for a plan.

March 23, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by Mmk2017:

At first I hated it. Whenever I took it I calmed down from whatever anxiety attack I was having but it left me feeling like a zombie for the rest of the day. However, I started splitting up the pills (.5mg) into 1/8's and if I felt anxious I would take an 1/8th every so often until it calmed down and that seemed to help with the zombie feeling I got.

March 19, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by ANNMARIE F.:

Ativan (lorazepam): I am claustrophobic and required an MRI. The one tablet I took prescribed by my dr. Helped me get through this 1 hr 45 min process. I am grateful.

March 11, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Flykate1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ativan (lorazepam): I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and take this nightly to sleep. This medication works wonderfully for relieving the physical symptoms of GAD which is what it was intended for. Yes this is addictive and has side effects that can affect memory however I don't think I could live without this medication. Anti-Depressants don't touch my anxiety where as this does.

February 25, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by 600 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had bad anxiety and would go 48 hours without sleeping so I was prescribed this to calm me down and help me slee, which it did worked great. I used it for 3 months till I got on Zoloft I would take 1mg pill 1 hour before bed. What a lifesaver.

February 23, 2014 3:41 AM

Review by 1975LRT:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan has made a tremendous difference in my life as my anxiety was out of control and panic attacks were frequent. I don't find that it makes me tired and I like how the effects are quickly felt. I used to take 1 mg but now only take 0.5mg once a day; twice if I need it. I can skip days the odd time if I am at home and things are peaceful. I was put on Valium and couldn't handle that at all - Ativan was a lifesaver for me!

February 21, 2014 7:55 PM

Review by thatjames7:

I took Klonopin in the past and recently was put on Vistral which did next to nothing. I asked my Doc for Ativan and was prescribed 1.5 mg 3X per day and WOW! I slept like a baby last night (just started this medicine yesterday) and feel completely stress free! I rated it 8 as it does start to wear off a tiny bit about the 4-6 hour mark. VERY impressed though and no "hangover" feeling the next morning. Thanks for reading.

February 12, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by vr77 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam): I took it today after suffering with severe anxiety and it worked quickly on me. My mind relaxed and I wanted to go out with kids.

February 1, 2014 6:00 PM