User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Review by Phone cord: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ended years of misery, acid reflux, etc.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by ocd/anxiety girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lorazepam: I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and depression. It has worked wonders when I start to suffer. I take 1 mg in the morning and I feel like my old self again. However, I'm starting to wonder if it is causing some of my depression. Once the medicine wears off my mood crashes. I get very emotional, anxiety creeps up, agitated, and very depressed. I pop another one and my mood stabilizes. Another thing, it is very habit forming so don't stop taking it abruptly. Consult your doctor first for a plan.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 5:42 PM
Review by Mmk2017:

lorazepam: At first I hated it. Whenever I took it I calmed down from whatever anxiety attack I was having but it left me feeling like a zombie for the rest of the day. However, I started splitting up the pills (.5mg) into 1/8's and if I felt anxious I would take an 1/8th every so often until it calmed down and that seemed to help with the zombie feeling I got.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 12:44 AM
Review by ANNMARIE F.: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I am claustrophobic and required an MRI. The one tablet I took prescribed by my dr. Helped me get through this 1 hr 45 min process. I am grateful.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 11, 2014 1:02 PM
Review by Flykate1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and take this nightly to sleep. This medication works wonderfully for relieving the physical symptoms of GAD which is what it was intended for. Yes this is addictive and has side effects that can affect memory however I don't think I could live without this medication. Anti-Depressants don't touch my anxiety where as this does.

February 25, 2014 8:37 AM
Review by 600 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lorazepam: I had bad anxiety and would go 48 hours without sleeping so I was prescribed this to calm me down and help me slee, which it did worked great. I used it for 3 months till I got on Zoloft I would take 1mg pill 1 hour before bed. What a lifesaver.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 3:41 AM
Review by 1975LRT: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Ativan has made a tremendous difference in my life as my anxiety was out of control and panic attacks were frequent. I don't find that it makes me tired and I like how the effects are quickly felt. I used to take 1 mg but now only take 0.5mg once a day; twice if I need it. I can skip days the odd time if I am at home and things are peaceful. I was put on Valium and couldn't handle that at all - Ativan was a lifesaver for me!

February 21, 2014 7:55 PM
Review by thatjames7: User Rating:

lorazepam: I took Klonopin in the past and recently was put on Vistral which did next to nothing. I asked my Doc for Ativan and was prescribed 1.5 mg 3X per day and WOW! I slept like a baby last night (just started this medicine yesterday) and feel completely stress free! I rated it 8 as it does start to wear off a tiny bit about the 4-6 hour mark. VERY impressed though and no "hangover" feeling the next morning. Thanks for reading.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 3:11 PM
Review by vr77 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I took it today after suffering with severe anxiety and it worked quickly on me. My mind relaxed and I wanted to go out with kids.

February 1, 2014 6:00 PM
Review by Brooder (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

lorazepam: I have severe chronic anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and insomnia. Ativan helps me with every single one of them. I've had bad anxiety since i was 20, and I'm 30 now. It's got worse over the years, and I turned to medication when everything else I tried failed. It helps calm me down to the point where I am not scared all the time. It sometimes takes a little while to work, but it's worth it. The only side effects I get are the "spacey" feeling in my head, and my vision is a little messed up. It's a great trade-off, instead of suffering with that anxiety literally all day and night. This medicine is great.

January 22, 2014 6:06 PM
Review by Undergrad (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lorazepam: Severe social anxiety to the point of not being able to interact with people in public, couldn't go to seminar classes where speaking was required. Would sweat profusely with my heart beating out of chest. Now I take one 1 mg pill most days (not all) along with clonidine daily and I feel fine! I participate in lecture discussions, talk to people around me, etc. Side effects: a slight "nodding" effect" and bit drowsy but I sort of like its cool breeze of sedation. Great medicine!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 1:37 PM
Review by Brit65 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lorazepam: Takes the edge off. Wondered if thinning hair was because of stress or a side effect. Has definitely saved me from having a meltdown though, even though I am on the lowest dosage.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 1:32 PM
Review by Hsd: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): It works sometimes while other times it makes me more depressed

January 10, 2014 8:34 PM
Review by DFnB: User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Klonopin made me irritable & short with people especially as they began wearing off. Xanax are ok but made my food taste better so I gained some. So Ativan several days now and its just perfect. Little sleepy but I'll work through that.

December 6, 2013 1:05 AM
Review by Rahn Allyn: User Rating:

lorazepam: I've been receiving relief from the intense anxiety l used to feel that started 20 yrs ago by taking 0.5 mg of Lorazepam. Usually only at night until my seasonal work kicks into gear and then occasionally once during the day. But it has been a life saver. The triggering divorce from 20 yrs ago left me depressed and the side effects left me spacey and numb. The doctor who identified the real issue as anxiety and not depression l feel saved my life. I guess there are those who get hooked and/or abuse this drug...but it has been safe for me w/ very few side effects. I'm most grateful that it doesn't make me groggy the next day. I'm up and ready and clear headed. A brief attempt w/ Ambien freaked me out as I couldn't remember driving and stuff.

November 18, 2013 4:02 AM
Review by Big D Alberta: User Rating:

lorazepam: With in an hour I could think clear and I was able to think about thing with out that heavy bag of lead around my neck. It allowed me to focus and think clearly. Very, very helpful.

November 5, 2013 11:22 PM
Review by ms.stoptheanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lorazepam: I've been taking this for about 4 mths as needed it works fine for me for my anxiety I've tried Paxil which made me feel like a zombie and pretty much out of it I hated it hate taking meds but this has helped me curb my anxiety

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 2, 2013 8:16 PM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): Most subtle of the benzos i have tried. Made me sleepy the first hour or two, but then stabilized anxiety and mood for about 6 hours. Much longer lasting than it is given credit for. Good PRN medication. Other benzos cause some moodiness or depression even. Although I think Lorazepam can, it is much smoother than others. It again is too sedating for many people though. I liked it about as good as Clonazepam, it is better than Valium IMO.

October 28, 2013 12:49 PM
Review by Lucy in Chicago: User Rating:

lorazepam: I have social anxiety & knew I'd literally fail out of grad school if I did not do something about my immense fear of public speaking (when my Social Anxiety is at its worst). I'd have a shaky voice, dry mouth, nausea, my heart would race and I would be physically shaking. Knowing those physical side effects would happen just made me more nervous and make it even worse. I take one of these an hour before my presentations now (and only when I have a presentation, like every few weeks, it's not a daily thing!) & it *definitely* lowers the physical effects so I can get through it, though I still get (way less) nervous. I only get a slight shaky voice, but my heart does not race, no dry mouth, nausea & I don't shake. It was honestly a life saver for me.

October 14, 2013 8:22 PM
Review by final666 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): This is the one thing I can always count on to help me when I am in need . I have dealing with anxiety and depression my whole life I am 23 . It is great for calming you down I don't know what I would do without it

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 10, 2013 7:52 PM
Review by Doom187z (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

lorazepam: I've been taking Ativan for a bit and I think it's a wonder medicine, the only thing is when you run out you are not in a good mood and feel really sick. But the most part use them as they tell you.

October 6, 2013 12:37 PM
Review by imreallyhungry: User Rating:

lorazepam: I just started taking lorazepam (ATIVAN), I take it most days. Sometimes I don't depending on how I feel. I feel really good on it. I am on 0.5MG. My psych said I can take two though. It relieves my anger, anxiety, and helps with my concentration a little. I am bi-polar and ADD/ADHD. I didn't think benzos would do anything for me because I had been on Xanax and Klonopin and they did nothing but make me sleepy or agitated for me but there is HOPE. I give it an A .

September 18, 2013 4:00 PM
Review by zigzag333 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I had a SEVERE panic/depression episode and was contemplating suicide (didn't tell Dr. about that part though) with uncontrollable crying "spells" and was prescribed 2mg Ativan and it was effective within just a few minutes. I calmed down and the racing thoughts, thoughts of suicide, and other feelings went on hold long enough to compose myself. I was on these for a few weeks and it saved my life. I was already on 2mg Xanax ER at the time but it didn't touch the episode I was having at the current time. However, the Xanax ER was very effective for what it was for, I just had an episode triggered by a bad event that override the power of the Xanax at the time.

September 7, 2013 1:22 AM
Review by eddiekilby (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ativan (lorazepam): I was in the E.R. for my usual anxiety waiting to be sent to a Mental health treatment facility. I lay there for seven hours. I tired but I could not sleep. It's like the voices around me were getting louder and louder. I eventually exploded. It took three security people and nurse stuck me in my thigh from a distance with Ativan, it was great. The Anxiety demons went away and I felt normal. I was later prescribed Ativan. I've tried many medicines in my twenty seven year battle with Depression and Social anxiety and anxiety and O.C.D. and P.D.S.D. Nothing works like Ativan.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 29, 2013 12:36 PM
Review by Bob1a1191: User Rating:

lorazepam: I have been on lorazepam for anxiety for a few years now. I started 1mg three times a day, then increased to 2mg three times a day. After the years on it I decided to stop taking it and the other seventeen medicines I was taking. I didn't have any withdrawal per say. After a two month break from it I have started it again today due to rough times in life causing me anxiety.

August 16, 2013 9:30 AM