User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"This is a fantastic medication. It is far less sedating than Clonazepam, and it also doesn't cause the "loopiness" that Clonazepam does."

branman (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia along with all the other issues that come with it. Anxiety & stress easily are two of the things. Ativan over Xanax for me big time for some reason Xanax would make my ankles swell? Then I tried Ativan and it worked great I put under my tongue and it melts under there and helps me within 15 minutes. I can go some weeks/months without ever taking it and then If I have a bad issue with the family or a panic attack from a flare it works fabulous. The most I've had to take it was 10 days in a row. I've had a prescription since 2004 and it's 2016 I get 30 1.mg a month. I don't use them all but I do get a refill every couple months just to have some on hand."

Winding down February 6, 2016

"This medication helped me so much no side effects. But if your struggling with anxiety like I was please check to see if you have food allergies struggled with anxiety for more then 5 years switch doctors found out I've had a gluten allergy that cause's anxiety and other systems. Please check it out I wish I knew sooner! Best of luck!"

Heretohelp2324 January 25, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have PTSD with panic attacks. When these come on it's terrifying to say the least! I take half a tablet and about 30 mins later I am calm. It has truly been a life saver for me. Like a lot of people here I went to the ER 3 times thinking I was dying all tests revealed nothing wrong with me."

Markscura (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have been on this as needed for the last 4 years. I started at 0.5mg and am currently at 1mg. I only take when needed and have not had any negative side affects. I only wish it actually lasted longer. Roughly last for 30 to 40 min. I have taken to help sleep, I am a war vet and it helps to calm down the hyper vigilance. I have seen people struggle coming off of this, but they "usually" are the ones abusing it. It is not an everyday med."

Taango January 17, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I had a stroke and so I had to have an MRI. This is something I had feared my whole adult life (because of claustrophobia) and wondered if I would even consent to it. They gave me an ativan and the whole experience was easy and uneventful. It was not prescribed long term, just for that single event. Under those circumstances I would rate it a 10."

Wendy murf January 14, 2016

"Was out on this drug in '93. Although it helps I know I shouldn't have been given this for so long. What can I do to wean off. I never took it as prescribed I was told to take 3 only take 2."

Pureanxiety (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2016

"Was given ativan at first of several ER visits for panic attacks and later on shooting pains in my legs. I had recent surgery, felt something wasn't right. Told my doctors, tests showed nothing so ignored like most women and put on antidepressants. Soon after, panic attacks started. Ativan helped but did not address the cause. 2 months later finally diagnosed with B12 deficiency caused by pernicious anemia. By then had severe nerve damage. To this day I cannot walk and am extremely intolerant to heat and cold. At times my nerves act up and I take 0.5 mg ativan or less to get me through it or help me sleep. Doctor won't prescribe much so judicious when I take it. Gabapentin eases pain but Ativan is ONLY med that calms my nerves."

B12def_anxiety_lady January 9, 2016

"Was prescribed lorazapam for anxiety, terrible head pressure, jaw pressure, throat pressure. Nothing had worked previously I had tried everything magnesium, warm compress on area, breathing exercises, Advil, ibuprofen. The lorazepam was the best"

GrammieWy January 8, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been taking low dose Ativan for years. It worked well for my anxiety. Although it seems to wear off extremely fast. I actually split the pill in two, take a half before bed, and take the other half when I wake up at night. The only problem is after my old doctor retired, I found nobody would prescribe it. All the newer doctors would rather give out anti-depressant. I had to quit taking it cold turkey last month. Now I'm on an anti-depressant and some strong sleeping pills in order to get enough sleep. The results are inconsistent. Some nights I get only 3 or 4 hours, some nights I sleep 10 hours and still feel tired. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Ativan was so cheap that it didn't matter I don't have insurance."

y-thingy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed Ativan .5 mg and ended up having a horrible adverse reaction that landed me in the ER. I experienced 20 side effects from this medication."

No bueno (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"WITHDRAWAL HELL! I was prescribed this medication after extreme anxiety that was not getting better with citalopram. I was only given 2 by GP (I AM IN THE UK) and then it worked so well on my anxiety I went back for more. They shouldn't have prescribed me 2 months worth because when I was told I wasn't allowed anymore my body went into meltdown. Over three weeks later I'm still suffering from the withdrawal symptoms. Severe anxiety, Insomnia, spaced out feeling, double vision, tremors, sweating, Auditory Hallucinations! Awful awful awful. It may seem great when it's helping you but when you stop be prepared to give up your life... This has been the worst time of my life hands down and I'm three weeks on and only marginally better."

foxfred (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

"Hi, I have been experiencing Anxiety, and some depression for 11 months now. My sister passed away last February, and I have not been 100% since. I was actually a lot worse but I am now able to control it, somewhat..... But, the Over thinking, and the fear of Loosing it (going crazy is horrible!) My Dr. Prescribed Ataivan, about 6 months ago. I never took any. I'm terrified! I wanted to ask. Will it freak me out? Zone me out? I want all the details. .. I made a promise to myself that this year would be a New Year, A better one! That I would definitely try my meds, even if it's only once..... Any info is appreciated. Thanx!:)"

Yvette33 January 2, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I took lorazepam for 19 days at .5mg 1 as need I was taking them in the afternoon around 4:30. The doctor only gave me 20 pills for anxiety and sent me home. While taking them I was feeling even worse I couldn't sleep, I would wake up shaking and scared couldn't eat until I took the pill. I decided to stop taking them because I was getting more anxiety and wired thoughts, and was shaking all day. So I quit cold turkey - I didn't know I was to taper off . On the second day of not taking it and I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat walking around feeling like I m going crazy a lot of anxiety attack and panic attacks. I don't feel joy or happiness. The only thing I could think of is I'm having withdrawals. I stop taking it on December 9, 2015 it is now December 29, 2015"

Molly76 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have been on ativan for 15 years%u2026 started at 1mg and was gradually increased to 4mg. The medication only numbs things the anxiety never went away, and after I started taking I started getting other symptoms like OCD, social anxiety, depression and others I should never have trusted the Dr and should have researched the drug before taking. I will never again just take anything without researching it. I am slowly tapering it off, the withdrawals are a nightmare but staying on this medication which should be banned is not an option. This medication was never intended to be prescribed longer then a few weeks. Drs and drugstores are completely to blame right beside the drug companies. They all know it%u2019s poison."

Janehello December 29, 2015

"Not really any thing happening just Giving me a headache"

ahhh yeah December 23, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Calmed me down enough to talk to the Psychiatrist and Social Worker when I had been detained under section 136 but didn't feel it very much and wore off quite quickly. Not as good as Diazepam"

coxysmelons December 19, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "This drug is highly addictive and due to it being short-acting, it is nearly impossible to wean off of this drug in a conventional manner. It is very effective in relieving anxiety, but should not be taken for any extended period of time or you will be hooked into an agonizing withdrawal. To get off of this short-acting drug without the painful withdrawal, switch to a long acting benzo like diazepam that is available in multiple and larger doses and can be cut into smaller amounts to wean off gradually."

brainiac1900 December 18, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "My husband was hospitalized for 10 weeks before passing away. I could not sleep - my thoughts were spiraling and racing. I had an anxiety attack in the intensive care unit and thought I was having a heart attack. I hadn't slept in 5 days. My doctor prescribed 1 mg Ativan taken 30 mins before bedtime. What a godsend. I sleep straight for 6 hours every night. I've tried sleeping without it and I'm awake all night. I worry about tolerance. So I go without it on weekends and lay awake for two nights. I can't wait til Sunday night so I can take the Ativan and get some sleep. I've been on it for 6 months now."

Donnazaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

"Started taking 0.5 mg . My father passed away and I was having a tremendous trouble going about my daily life . Getting up, showering, cooking, cleaning, Constantly crying . This drug has helped me get my life back 100% calmed me down . I now feel relaxed and can go about my daily life ."

Ativan fan December 7, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Highly addictive medicine. Very angry I was put on this. I have worse anxiety and hand, feet, and head tremors. Docs give out benzos too easily. Then they do not want to help you get off them. It is awful. They treat you like a pill seeker instead of slowly weaning you off. More doctors need to use the Ashton Method of withdrawal. Taking someone off benzos too quickly can induce anger, crying spells, depression, and even seizures. Too many doctors do not want to help patients get off these pills and it is wrong."

Tilcat December 5, 2015

"This drug is great, it saved me from my job and help me become more successful. There was a point It was so bad I could not even be in a work meeting with out having serious anxiety. I also had problems going anywhere. It was really affecting my work and my behavior with my family. Once I started talking it, I felt no stress, and I was able to be normal again and function. Now that I have been on it for 2 years, I only need it 1-2 times a week. When I was having anxiety really bad I had to take it 4-5 times a week. So the longer I have been on it the more I was able to tapper off and feel normal again. I highly recommend it if you have serious anxiety and feel stress all the time."

Stanly from Texas December 1, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "This stuff is amazing and has been a godsend for my anxiety and panic. Don't pass this one and give it try it's great."

SteveD NJ November 30, 2015

"This medication is amazing if used as designed. For years I have suffered with gripping panic attacks that turned into seizures if they were real bad. I got to the point that I couldn't ride in a car with someone. It was bleak. I'm a young guy and avoided going out with people even girls. Lorazepam paired with (more importantly) CBT. Has turned me about 80% back to "normal" use it as needed. Do not rely on it. Was going though 30 a month, now it's 30 a year. Be responsible and talk to someone. Medication is a way out, not a crutch to use forever. Cognitive behavioral therapy is where you make real strides!! Sorry to get preachy but I dislike drug "abuse""

Puppydad (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I had a positive experience , was effective"

Dan cfh 197 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2015