User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"I suffer from panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and ocd. I take 1mg twice daily and am on 40mg of prozac.My disorders are quite severe and on a bad day im housebound.The lorazapem does work well but i do get bad withdrawal in the morning which involves being very anxious for bout an hour or so till my meds kick in which im going to try some different courses of action to try and counter this.Im 36 yrs old and a solo dad so getting well for my son is a big priority for me! My heart goes out to all the anxiery sufferers out there and i suppose we can all hope that we can get the right balance of meds that helps us without to many side effects and be as well as possible! So overall review of this drug is 7/10 good luck!"

steve from auckland nz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"I had a very alarming ADVERSE REACTION to Ativan (Lorazepam), that I never had with any other benzodiazepine, that I'd like to share. My doctor prescribed me 0.5mg of Ativan for my anxiety that I've had since a child. Within an hour of taking my first dose I began to experience SCARY hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia. This never happened whenever I took Xanax, Valium, or Klopin, so I don't know what made Ativan different. Not only did Ativan increase my anxiety, but it also caused these disturbing adverse side effects! I personally did not have a good experience with this drug, and threw the rest away. Please be very careful with it!"

AndyAnder August 23, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I'm 19 and this anxiety and OCD had been poured on me out of no where. It scared me so bad I felt like I couldn't live my life. I went to the ER and they prescribed me Ativan 1 mg 3 times a day. It was extremely effective. The first week I was only taking half or sometimes 2. I've been on it for 3 weeks and am waiting to get on a SSRIs for more long term. Ativan is helping me through my days. I am just nervous about withdrawals because I don't take them as prescribed only as needed."

Laurenthorne August 20, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan is a miracle drug. Whoever invented it should have received the Nobel Prize. Zero adverse effetcs, completely safe. I am going through chemo and my beloved old companion cat which I had for over 14 years died after many months of poor health. I felt gripping anxiety for weeks, it felt like my chest was going to explode. I was faced with vet bills and wasn't working. Ativan worked in less than an hour, I felt such relief, and only after 1mg. I take it once, sometimes twice, a day and my life is bearable. Please don't suffer. If you experience anxiety ask you Dr for Ativan, even 0.5 mg may work."

RollaB August 16, 2015

"Lorazepam works great for my anxiety with no side effects."

SKAgee (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2015

"I am 37 and suffered a rare type of heart attack called a spontaneous coronary artery dissection in my LAD (the widow maker). I have no heart disease. I have perfect blood pressure and blood lipids, includes by HDL, LDL, cholesterol, trig, etc. after my HA and based in both the rarity of my event and the mortality rate (80%) I have severe anxiety. I am trying to stop worrying and learn to love my broken heart. This drug saves me weekly. It doesn't mask cardiac distress so I take it when my chest feels right and within 5 min I'm fine. It's 4 dollars cash for a 30 day RX. I take .25 mg by biting a half pull into a fourth. Life saver. It's going to save my career too. This drug has saved my life."

taoTech August 5, 2015

"Extreme weakness, nausea, problems with memory, lethargic, slow reaction times, constant thirst, stay anxious, very sleepy during the day, no energy, wears off quick, soars at both corners of mouth, dizziness and confusion."

Film critic August 5, 2015

"I have been having trouble with anxiety and for more than 30yr. I have tried everything. My Dr. put me on lorazepam and don't know if going to work."

hotrod77 June 27, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am taking 1mg 4x daily. I have had some deaths in my family and have been more anxious. Should my dose be increased?"

kvam (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2015

"worked great when I started...a year later taking 1mg in the am and 1mg at night...and anxiety is back...interferes with work..."

killer1313 May 27, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Thank God for Ativan. Even though when the stressful situation came up, instead of having a panic attack I was able to stop it with the calm. I do wish it could erase those trigger moments but I'm so glad I can stop them and manage them better with Ativan. I also really like that I can take it on a work day with no side effects or that fuzzy high feeling. It has not affected my sleep or anything else. It's a lifesaver for me. I'm back!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"The doctors put my dad who is 95 on Lorazepam because of anxiety but it takes a long time to get in the system, he takes 2 a day and has been for about 8 months and it does not help, if given right at the start of an anxiety attack it takes over an hour to work and then it hardly works at all, and as he has 2 a day you would think it would keep him from having anxiety or at least make it more mild."

Winter2 May 20, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Lifesaver for adrenaline rush feelings. The smallest dose cut in half makes me feel calm, slows my racing heart and heart palpitations, and puts me to sleep. I couldn't have survived lyme disease without it. The only bad things are it will make you tired and after being on it for 2 weeks straight, you're likely to have rebound anxiety. If you have long term anxiety SSRIs are the best choice."

rainbowz May 14, 2015

"I have GAD and panic attacks. I use celexa 20 MG as my first line and ativan 0.5 twice daily if I need it. I occasionally take it at night when my mind races and won't shut down. Celexa has my anxiety under good control but ativan is my just in case med."

nanamarie May 8, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Very effective for calmness."

vgj (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I suffer from PTSD, depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I previously took Xanax, but it was too short acting for me. I needed a benzodiazepine that was longer acting, since my anxiety goes on for a long time. I like that Ativan lasts 6-8 hours, in which I need for times of long time anxiousness. However I have realized that smoking cigarettes lessens the effectiveness of benzodiazepines, so I will have to work around that. Anyway, Ativan is great for people like me who have anxiety and panic attacks."

etherealmoon (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"Taken the 0.5 mg tab only when needed for anxiety over a 9 year period. The last 4 years was prescribed the 1 mg. tab to help with my insomnia. Sometimes am able to use half the tab in order to fall asleep. I'm in my 70th year and see my doctor on a regular basis. It has made a positive effect in my life."

marekae (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take 6mg Ativan a day and will do for life, it saved my life there is nothing else to touch a benzodiazepine if your anxiety is off the scale. Yes you get tolerant but what else is there out there NOTHING that works in 20 minutes like Ativan. I am 67 and not going to worry myself with addiction and withdrawal. What would I withdraw to there is nothing out the. I have taken Ativan for 40 years and I am alive, I don't think I would be without it. "

dyslexic (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2015

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on 9mg/day by a very experienced psychiatrist. Sure it affects memories a bit but if you're anxious it works. Choose!"

Dr. Steph Smart (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Works well with anxiety, panic"

jooe473 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take 0.5mg everyday before I head out to work. I had my panic at work, and this keeps me calm and able to get through the day. Some days are more stressful than others and I may have to take another 0.5mg, but I never go over the dose I was prescribed. I am so glad my doctor gave me this!"

RaeRae53 March 26, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder folowing several health issue including Cancer, pre-cancerous duodenal cyst removal, gallbladder removal, kidney surgery to remove stones. I have tried several SSRI's, several SNRI's, mood stabilizers (antipsychotic) and Remeron. All ineffective for my condition as a matter of fact made it worse. Once lorazepm was prescribe it all changed for the better. No side effects, no forgetfulness, no instability (falling). Without lorazepam I would not make it through the past 4 years. I also tried therapy with 4 diff. Therapists and did get some benefits from CBT. But lorazepm keeps me on an even keel. The only problem I have is all the negativity regarding its use. It works for me in small dosage (1 - 1.5 mg)."

John Shag (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I loved it, when I lost awareness in the Hospital: I was given Ativan. It brought me back to normal. I wish I had some now."

Aracab24 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

"I suffer from social anxiety- it's situational. I can go out to the grocery stores and other things but it usually happens in class. I tried 1mg today and it worked great.. It felt so good to feel calm around people and give good eye contact without my heart racing. It makes me sleepy hours later but I'm fine with that."

Raay_09 December 15, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I found this medicine very helpful in my anxiety."

PCMACLINUX (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2014