User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"This drug nearly ruined my life. But, you don't have to believe me. Just go google "lorazepam withdrawal" or "ativan withdrawal" and you can see it for yourself. I was never told how horrific the withdrawal would be from this medicine. I have spent nearly 5 months in extreme anxiety that is nearly 50 times the intensity of the anxiety I had when starting this med. The doctors are not educated on the w/d of this med because the pharm companies do not release these studies because then they wouldn't prescribe it! I became agitated, suicidal, depressed and PTSD-like symptoms from this drug. Not one person warned me and I just took it everyday like the bottle said, many times LESS than prescribed. PLEASE do your research!"

cleangrrl777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

"BEWARE!! Some people have no problem with this benzodiazepine yet there are many who do such as myself. I took it for hyper thyroid. It has ruined the last 14 months of my life!!! Words cannot express the mental and physical torture I experience daily. PLEASE Google Professor Ashton to read the side effects. Visit Benzo Buddies. You will learn about the horrors these meds cause as well as success stories of those who survived this! There has been a bill introduced in Massachusetts to get doctors to warn their patients!! Warn everyone you know! Don't be fooled! My world has been turned upside down and I don't want it to happen to you!!"

mcnj May 2, 2016

"This stuff is good. I use 0.5mg and i feel relaxed or 1mg if i have a panic attack. It helps alot and can help with sleep problems. I use it whenever i have anexity not everyday. Havent needed the stuff for 3 weeks so its not addicting for me at all."

TheReviewDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"Unfortunately, this did nothing for me. It didn't matter how many I took, it didn't do anything for my panic attacks. It just made me a little sleepy."

ihavemigraines (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

"Helps with my high anxiety. I take 1mg twice a day and it controls my anxiety pretty well without impairing my motor skills too much."

Lithh (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"Took my first Ativan today and OMG I feel great this works amazing for shortness of breath difficulty breathing knots in the stomach, fear shakes sweats .... It's truly amazing I only took 0.5 and I'm happy I did I was afraid to take it but I'm not anymore it's a great miracle pill"

Syllorenz April 14, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan has been SO SO helpful for anxiety and panic attacks. It can be addicting so I try and only take it when I really need to; not more than a couple times a week. But it definitely has helped me and I would recommend it to those with bad anxiety."

Kelly Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

"3 years ago we discovered a clot inside my heart. I went in for exploring surgery & awoke from a coma 33 days later, it had broke while being looked at & I had a mild heart attack on the table, had to be put into the coma to survive. To make things worse, I was also paralyzed from the waist down. It was too much & I had my 1st anxiety attack. Speed up to now: I've regained part of my ability to walk, it's painful & I can only walk so much. The clot is gone but I still take maintenance meds for it. Sadly I still suffer from regular panic but this drug works great. When I feel myself slipping I take an Ativan & feel better, breath easier, in less then an hour!"

Mickie's Wolfie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2016

"I had very rare occasions of panic attacks up until last year, when I started the nursing program. 7 weeks in I was having a nervous breakdown crying in my doctor's arms and telling her she will never understand what I'm going through....She said no mam, no tears, try Zoloft consistently and lorazapam as needed. This lead to 1mg of lorazapam and 125mg of Zoloft DAILY! Fast forward to a 2 yrs later, I am a nurse, I still take my ordered dose and feel like I can handle any situation. This stuff really does work and keeps me from having any panic attacks."

SNC719 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "35 years on ativan"

dyslexic333 March 28, 2016

"After getting into a car accident I fracturing my skull, broke my right arm, and dislocated 3 discs in my back. It led to 5 surgeries, and of course pain management. I got put on Opana 30 ER 2x daily, and Oxycodone 30mg IR 5x daily. The powerful Narcotics led to severe Nausea and Vomiting. I tried Zofran, Promethazine, Hydroxyzine, they worked, but not good enough. I finally got introduced to Ativan, got put on 1mg 3x daily. WOW is the best word to describe it. Now I'm pain free with ZERO nausea, thanks Ativan!"

Ativan_Fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "This response is for the person whose Doctor won't prescribe Ativan because it's an old drug. I went to a psychiatrist and that's the med he prescribed for me to help me sleep through the night. It had been 3 months since I'd slept more the 6 hours and usually it was 4 hours each night. Ambien got me to sleep but wouldn't keep me asleep. My PCP prescribed trazadone and that was horrific. She then prescribed doxepin and that sedated me but never put me to sleep. After 3 months of this my PCP said for me to go to a psychiatrist to hear my symptoms and prescribe the right med. he got it spot on. By the second night I was sleeping like a baby and able to naps during the if I felt sleepy. I have gotten myself back. I also take Zoloft."

Boston Qualified (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"I've taken Aleve and Vicodin for my sciatica pain with limited results. Taking lorazepam completely rids me of my hip/leg/back pain which is wonderful! I still have to remind myself to be easy on my hip and not try and clean the whole house because my pain is gone. I half a 1mg tablet so it doesn't sedate me. My intent is to not be completely knocked out. I want to be productive and it allows me that luxury. I know it's not generally prescribed for pain like this, but it sure as hell works for mine. I've had no adverse side effects and it really helps me get through the day without constant pain."

Triciakitty March 25, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Instead of calming me down and relaxing me from my anxiety and panicky feelings it made them extremely worse. I thought I was going to loose my mind. Well actually for a brief time I did. It caused me to have a nervous breakdown. This was only on the second day I took it. I didn't know what was going on or what was happening. I thought I was going to loose my mind and before I knew it I slit one of my wrist. I have never had any intention of doing this before taking Ativan. Thankful help came and I got 8 staples put in my wrist were I cut it. I will never take this medicine ever again. I just warn to be very careful taking this medicine. I have never had any reactions to medicines before until this medicine I took back in Sept 16, 2015."

heartwhispers March 24, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take adavan for panic attacks caused by load noises or medical test and the dentist it is very effective within 30 minutes it makes me sleepy and relaxed. I get off balance and dizzy so I usually need help walking it is a great medication for panic attacks"

Victoria 25 March 19, 2016

"I have previously had a problem with alcohol, and I have tried any non-benzo on the market but nothing has helped me with my anxiety attacks. I took lorazepam 0.5 mg for the first time yesterday. I had forgotten what it felt like not to be anxious. I was able to enjoy a few hours of not being afraid. I know it is not a long term fix, but now I know what I am striving for when I am thinking of getting healthy."

nanbread (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I took my first 1mg dose recently and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I was prescribed Ativan to take only as needed on the cusp of an anxiety attack, as I've been having a few lately. It absolutely took the sting out of the anxiety and left me feeling really chilled out, to the point of that really comfortable tiredness when you're super relaxed. I haven't felt that in a long time. I didn't have any gross side effects (except for the tiredness) and was able to enjoy the rest of my day :)"

LizzyMcGoo March 15, 2016

"I started taking Xanax after the suicide of my son. I was on it for quite a while but it didn't work so well after a while and I was not sleeping. So I was put on Lorazepam. 2mg twice a day only I take them both at night with a 50mg amitrypline. If I don't knock myself completely out I have horrible night terrors and nightmares. I have been on this dose for about 2 years now. How can I get out of this? Whereas time has by no means made it "easier to deal with" I know I will need to be on something for sleep but an now worried about the long term affects. I am also worried about it showing up on drugs tests."

CLL Night Sky Watcher March 13, 2016

"I am a 47 year old male and within one year I've developed a anxiety disorder. I work as a controls engineer in the automotive field so stress and tennage kids pushed me to the brink. The anxiety is up and down now largely due to fear of that weird derealization feeling I get. Ativan is amazing its able snap me back into a calm and rational state when the anxiety is at its peak. I was originally concerned about its dependence but I believe self management can eliminate that. I am on 5mg of escitalopram but find it really doesn't seem to have any effect. Hang tough fellow anxiety brothers and sisters... Anxiety Sucks"

Ken905 March 9, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take 0.5-1mg for times of unmanageable anxiety or panic attacks. This happens a few times a year. Very effective medication with no side effects for me. I've been taking it since I was 26, I'm now 30."

Jake9277 March 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "This drug has saved my life, I take 1 mg twice daily, I have severe anxiety and panic disorder that leads me to never leaving the house bc I'm scared of everything. This drug dug me out of a deep anxiety phase that was leading to very serious depression I was scared to tell my doctor that I was gonna kill myself if they didn't find something that worked I tried about 14 other meds with little to no success. Before my doctor said I'm gonna try you on ativan and see how it helps with my drug history this was a last choice kind of thing. He warned me about the potential for abuse and addiction, I'm aware of it and I never abuse the drug. I've been using ativan for 2-3 months now and I'm finally back into the work force finally able to drive again"

mazda lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "Avoid Benzos. I'm an alcoholic now, thanks to Lorazepam addiction. They leave a mark on you. Lorazepam was my vice. Again, avoid benzos. It can't end well. Benzos are a one way street."

Snowcaller February 26, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I started taking Ativan in 1997. My first and only time in a psychiatric ward. I was diagnosed with panic attacks. When I first started taking them the first 3 days were an absolute nightmare. I was getting more side effects being on them than without. I told the doctor and he told me to give it a few day and that this side effect would go away. I was literally going to sleep (in and out of sleep?) with a bible in my arms. Finally the 3rd day it did start to take effect and my panic became less frightening. I started in 1997 @ .5 MG 3xday and now in 2015 I take 1mg 3xday. It has never given me a problem except for those fee days when I started the dosage."

Sa68 February 25, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was just diagnosed in my 40's with generalized anxiety disorder not surprised. I was always having anxiety/panic attacks and unable to function some times. I now take Celexa daily and while it takes about 2 months to really kick in my anxiety is gone and I feel FAR beyond how I have felt in forever. Zoloft nor prozac worked. I don't know they are truly geared towards anxiety. High;y recommend it at 10mg if not feeling better."

Trishapis February 24, 2016

"I have had to take this medication (when I try my hardest to stay away from meds) on a few occasions everytime its only taken .2 or .5mg to relieve my panic attack! I love it except my Dr won't prescribe me anymore for those just in case times and I don't want to go on an antidepressant. I don't know if its just my depression but I feel lack of motivation and very tired but that could have to do with it being a sedative too. Would suggest to anyone that just can't control the anxiety and panic."

mrsnew February 21, 2016