User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Insomnia

Review by Joe9393:

I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must.

August 9, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by RickyRX (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My experience with Ativan (lorazepam) has been one I've come to love and set the bar high when it comes to sleep. I developed insomnia as a result of having to take opioid medication for my CRPS/RSD in addition of the fact that I'm slowly recovering from the death of my best friend who passed in 2010. I have been on every insomnia medicine there is. My current regimen of the normal opiate and muscle relaxants, one to 1.5 grams of Keppra, 555mg valerian root, 10mg of melatonin, 25mg of amitriptyline, and adding up to 4mg of Ativan, depending on the next day's tasks. Works like a charm every night.

March 28, 2014 5:04 AM

Review by Bill710 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Use 0.5mg a night for insomnia. Works great and puts me to sleep quick. Feel good in the morning.

January 13, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by honeycomb (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine has given me a good few hours sleep for the past three nights. I had previously not been sleeping more than an hour or two for several weeks previous.

August 2, 2013 11:56 AM

Review by earthease (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am a addict in recovery and have been clean for 10 years, I have been prescribed Ativan for both anxiety and sleep, I am a 3rd shift worker and feel this medication can be "psychological addicting" so I do my best to always check my motive for taking it, I try not to take it more than 3 days in a row and (only once a day).

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2012 4:37 AM

This didn't help my insomnia at all. If anything, it makes my mind think even more. I have even more trouble sleeping than when I was on Elavil 25mg or Zopiclone 7.5mg. It's frustrating since I'm only 20 years old and I've been suffering from insomnia for 2 and a half years now.

January 19, 2012 4:02 PM

Review by dependant4:

I use this more for anxiety but it does calm me down to be able to sleep.

May 18, 2011 10:15 PM

Review by benzodiazepine:

Ativan is a great medicine and glad my psychiatrist prescribed me 1 mg 2 times a day. Though I use that as well as Klonopin but Ativan gets me to sleep sometimes and Klonopin keeps me asleep. Overall I believe its a God send.

October 19, 2010 3:33 AM

Review by jroxx:

I have taken just about every drug known to man and found that Ativan works best. Calms me right down and actually lets me sleep ALL NIGHT !

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2009 10:58 PM

Review by Chrystal_Joy:

I very much appreciate the quickness of the calming from an anxiety attack.

September 23, 2009 12:52 AM

Ativan is wonderful for dealing with a stressful job, failing marriage, aging parents and restless leg. My doctor prescribed this medication for me so I can relax at night. I was well rested and the next day I felt more energized.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2008 1:19 PM

I have chronic pain and have had difficulty sleeping for many years. I've used several other medicines that work well for a while or leave me with a sleep "hangover". I've been using this medicine for a little over a month and I'm feeling much better, my pain is less and I feel very rested in the morning. I'm very thankful.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2008 4:13 PM

I find when I have those nights that my brain just can't settle down, either a .5 or 1 mg Ativan will help me relax just enough to get a restful sleep. Usually I feel totally energized and fresh the next morning. This is the only thing I have found in almost 20 years that works. However, I can only use it on my worst nights, as it is addictive. That's the only drawback.

244 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2008 12:43 AM