User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Insomnia

"I've been on this nightly for about 4 years now because of back pain I don't sleep well. It does a good job of helping me sleep but now it is causing my eyes to become very dry so I will look for an alternative."

skiguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

"I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must."

Joe9393 August 9, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My experience with Ativan (lorazepam) has been one I've come to love and set the bar high when it comes to sleep. I developed insomnia as a result of having to take opioid medication for my CRPS/RSD in addition of the fact that I'm slowly recovering from the death of my best friend who passed in 2010. I have been on every insomnia medicine there is. My current regimen of the normal opiate and muscle relaxants, one to 1.5 grams of Keppra, 555mg valerian root, 10mg of melatonin, 25mg of amitriptyline, and adding up to 4mg of Ativan, depending on the next day's tasks. Works like a charm every night. "

RickyRX (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2014

"Use 0.5mg a night for insomnia. Works great and puts me to sleep quick. Feel good in the morning."

Bill710 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has given me a good few hours sleep for the past three nights. I had previously not been sleeping more than an hour or two for several weeks previous."

honeycomb (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a addict in recovery and have been clean for 10 years, I have been prescribed Ativan for both anxiety and sleep, I am a 3rd shift worker and feel this medication can be "psychological addicting" so I do my best to always check my motive for taking it, I try not to take it more than 3 days in a row and (only once a day)."

earthease (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2012

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This didn't help my insomnia at all. If anything, it makes my mind think even more. I have even more trouble sleeping than when I was on Elavil 25mg or Zopiclone 7.5mg. It's frustrating since I'm only 20 years old and I've been suffering from insomnia for 2 and a half years now."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

"I use this more for anxiety but it does calm me down to be able to sleep."

dependant4 May 18, 2011

"Ativan is a great medicine and glad my psychiatrist prescribed me 1 mg 2 times a day. Though I use that as well as Klonopin but Ativan gets me to sleep sometimes and Klonopin keeps me asleep. Overall I believe its a God send."

benzodiazepine October 19, 2010

"I have taken just about every drug known to man and found that Ativan works best. Calms me right down and actually lets me sleep ALL NIGHT !"

jroxx December 3, 2009

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I very much appreciate the quickness of the calming from an anxiety attack."

Chrystal_Joy September 23, 2009

"Ativan is wonderful for dealing with a stressful job, failing marriage, aging parents and restless leg. My doctor prescribed this medication for me so I can relax at night. I was well rested and the next day I felt more energized."

Anonymous December 30, 2008

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have chronic pain and have had difficulty sleeping for many years. I've used several other medicines that work well for a while or leave me with a sleep "hangover". I've been using this medicine for a little over a month and I'm feeling much better, my pain is less and I feel very rested in the morning. I'm very thankful."

Anonymous November 27, 2008

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I find when I have those nights that my brain just can't settle down, either a .5 or 1 mg Ativan will help me relax just enough to get a restful sleep. Usually I feel totally energized and fresh the next morning. This is the only thing I have found in almost 20 years that works. However, I can only use it on my worst nights, as it is addictive. That's the only drawback."

Anonymous March 1, 2008

258 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Insomnia