User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Migraine Prevention 9 reviews 32 medications

Alport Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lisinopril reviews 226 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Lisinopril

Review by Ramandeep:

For High Blood Pressure: This helped my grandma a lot.

April 12, 2010 8:58 PM

For High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure has come down after about 2 weeks of taking this medicine. I have had no side effects at all. I have been taking this medicine for about 4 months now.

April 6, 2010 7:43 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I was taking Lisinopril for about 6 months for my blood pressure which was 150/103...it went down to about 115/70 which is good. But I develped the "ACE cough" like abut 15% of people do who take an ACE inhibitor. I had to keep cough drops and hard candy with me at all times and it was really embarrassing in my classes to cough so much. I also lost feeling in the tips of my fingers and toes a lot, and occasionally felt like my face and lips were swelling. So finally I had my doctor switch me to a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) and all of my symptoms have gone away that I can tell. I have to go to the bathroom a little more often but that is way better than coughing all the time. I'm hoping it will work for my high blood pressure too.

March 21, 2010 9:34 PM

Review by james82:

For High Blood Pressure: i have been taking the medication for over a year and overtime the side effects have got worse and unbearable, the feeling of extreme tiredness and weakness, started having rapid heart beat, swelling in eyes and hands, its become too much my last few visit my bp has been normal so they are going to take me off and see how i do without it, which im glad cause i couldnt keep taking it with those side effects, hoping i will not need the medication but if i have to go back on im going to ask to be switched to something else

February 15, 2010 1:58 PM

Review by Me in Texas:

For High Blood Pressure: I used this medicine for about 3 years. It worked great. But over the past two weeks I have had to go to urgent care for the swelling of the left side of my tongue and the severe swelling of my bottom lip!

February 9, 2010 3:31 PM

Review by kennyp:

For High Blood Pressure: Had most side effects with this medicine.

February 8, 2010 11:01 AM

For High Blood Pressure: I took 10 mg of lisinopril for a month and could not handle the side effects anymore. It worked great at getting my blood pressure down but with that came heart pounding and fluttering, headaches, leg pains, weakness, dry mouth, diarrhea, dizziness, trouble sleeping, waking in the middle of a deep sleep very confused and alarmed, and taste change. Within 2 days of changing medicines all of these problems disappeared even though the doctor assured me it was not all from lisinopril.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2010 11:48 AM

Review by rjdavis:

For High Blood Pressure: Lisinopril worked great for lowering blood pressure even at a very low dose. Unfortunately, the dry cough, that seemed to always be worse at night, eventually became more than I could endure. The cough ended after 2 days. In addition, I had developed a post nasal drip that I had never experienced before which also disappeared after 2 days. I am now on Diovan but so far it has not lowered my blood pressure. Really frustrating.

January 20, 2010 9:48 PM

Zestril (lisinopril) for High Blood Pressure: I used this medication for years. It was comfortable to use, with few side effects. Finally, after years of use, I developed a cough and had to discontinue. I've been unable to find another medication that is as comfortable and effective as this one.

January 11, 2010 2:05 PM

Review by VAXE:

For Migraine Prevention: Doctor put me on 10 MG for high blood pressure and my horrible nightly migraines that I have had for 20 years stopped immediately! I could not believe it. The doctor didn't mention this possibility, only the cough, which I have a touch of and will put up with. I just googled the drug and found the migraine effect on my own after 2 days of no headache. It has only been 10 days so I am keeping my fingers crossed, but so far I am stunned! I have Zomig for the migraines but it was usually an hour or so process in the middle of the night to get it to kick in. I cannot believe how much more rested I feel, not having to be up in pain every night. Sure hope it is effective on my blood pressure too.

December 19, 2009 9:48 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I used this drug for about six months, while my blood pressure was controlled the side effects, including cough and dry mouth were severe to the point that I could not take the medication any longer.

December 15, 2009 10:30 AM

Review by Bailey1957:

For Coronary Artery Disease: My friend age 53 began taking Lisinopril after a double coronary bypass June this year. We asked for the Lisinopril prescription from the doctor because it was cheap and he was going to need a long term ACE inhibitor. He had a history of bronchitis in the past. As time rocked on the cough became worse eventually being put on a home nebulizer. The Physician Assistant changed him from Lisinopril to Diovan. Within 2 weeks the cough had gone away, as well as the wheezing and no longer needed the resp treatments. Personally I feel that Lisinopril is a good medicine if one has no other medical issues. In this case I think it was not a good choice.

November 28, 2009 12:07 PM

For High Blood Pressure: The very irritating post nasal drip, runny nose, and cough has disrupted my life! I thought I had allergies or a cold and it took me months to connect it to lisinopril. I see my Dr. tomorrow and will be so glad to get rid of this drug and its side effects. My sleep was interupted all night so I was not getting adequate rest. And at work it was embarrasing to keep blowing my nose and coughing. People are hyper-aware of germs these days because of the swine flu thing, (and I work in surgery.)

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2009 8:30 AM

Review by pa18sher:

For High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure was running 160 over 115 and I went on this medication. I've only been on it for 5 days and the incessant coughing is driving me crazy. Also, I've noticed annoying, weird cramps under my shoulder blades, lower back aches (even though overweight, I've never, ever had back problems) and my thigh and calf and even foot muscles start to seize up when I walk, and I'm a walker, hate to sit down but now I do all the time because I feel so tired. I'm also unable to sleep and short of breath, which is also uncommon to me.

November 18, 2009 4:11 PM

Review by Mahalo08:

For High Blood Pressure: My doctor prescribed this to "protect my kidneys" and lower my BP (132/100, was never that high before). Within a week I had severe muscle spasms and pain in my legs, headaches, dizziness, and itchy hands. She cut my dose to 5 mg, which stopped most of the spasms, but did not relieve other symptoms. My BP was 100/68. I am now dealing with mild edema in my eyelids, blurred vision.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2009 12:28 AM

Review by macfly:

For High Blood Pressure: I'm a 48 yr old male, take 20mg day. Blood pressure is regular now however side effects are not acceptable and I will be switching to another medicine. Libido lowered, unable to maintain erection for more than 20 minutes, headaches, dizziness, some double vision, coughing, and slight weight gain without any change in exercise or diet. This ACE inhibitor is not for me.

November 15, 2009 7:30 AM

Review by Kathypettit:

For High Blood Pressure: Took this medicine for over 6 months. Side effects got bad finally stopped taking it and switched to old Medicine. Had headaches that never went away, muscle spasm in legs and arms so bad could barely lift my arms. Extreme fatigue would set in 1 - 2 hours after taking, facial flushing always getting comments about being sunburned. Most scary was the memory loss, couldn't recall details on everyday things, and muscle twitches in thigh. Been off of this for only three days and feel better already. Memory is coming back and twitches in thigh are gone. Didn't have the need for a nap today either. It seems as if these symptoms get worse over time at least for me.

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2009 12:13 AM

Review by etides:

For High Blood Pressure: THIS DRUG IS NOT FOR ME. Makes me really sick. Stopped taking on Friday and will call my Doctor Monday morning. I have coughing, vomiting, cramps can't get any sleep.

November 9, 2009 7:23 AM

Review by didovirgil:

For High Blood Pressure: I have just started taking this blood pressure medication, but so far very good! It has definitely brought my blood pressure down with little or no side effects! Thanks.

November 5, 2009 12:32 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Been on medication for hbp for 7 months (also taking Bystolic). Had a reaction of angioedema where my face swelled and then a few days later got hives on my arms and legs. ER doctor explained it's technically NOT an allergic reaction (i.e. not histamine related) so benadryl will not help with the swelling. Given predisone and also taking tylenol. He told me the drug can be taken for decades without any adverse reaction, and then one day, you suddenly get swelling. Having a reaction rules out using any of the ACE inhibitor drugs. Too bad - it was working really well for me. On Cardizem now.

November 2, 2009 2:20 PM

Review by John Howard Norfolk:

For High Blood Pressure: Excellent medication to reduce my blood pressure but I eventually associated a persistent dry cough with this drug and was switched to Cozaar by my GP.

October 21, 2009 9:27 AM

For High Blood Pressure: After months of dry cough, finally ended up with severe allergic reaction including urticaria (hives) over most of my body for four months and got angioedema - tongue and face swelled up.

October 14, 2009 3:37 AM

Review by Jackie198:

For High Blood Pressure: I started this drug 4 months ago and I have the cough and the headaches. But my blood pressure is still high. I started taking it in the morning, when I got up my blood pressure was running 178/110 or higher within 2 hours it was down, but I was so tired that I was falling a sleep at work and waking up with high blood pressure. So I thought if I started taking it at night then my blood pressure would not be high in the morning. But it is still very high still in the morning 178/117. So the Doctor said start taking it again in the morning - that was a week ago and for the last wk I have woken up at all hours with a bad headache. This morning my blood pressure was 178/117. I will have it changed.

October 12, 2009 9:15 AM

Review by sjohns09:

Prinivil (lisinopril) for Migraine Prevention: The Doctor gave me 10 MG Lisinopril for high blood pressure - I never had a headache for over a month. it was great but I developed a bad cough so he took me off. I miss not having the headaches. I think I was taking to high a dose. I'd like to try a smaller mg.

October 6, 2009 4:18 PM

Review by syon99:

For High Blood Pressure: I'm a 63 year old big guy (315 pounds) with 147/95 blood pressure and otherwise healthy. This is my first experience with high blood pressure and I am not on any other medication. I have been taking 20mg lisinopril twice a day for 10 days. I have experienced the dry cough and blurred vision others have mentioned. I have taken my blood pressure at home 22 times in 10 days with the following results: High 164/101, Low 137/86, First 140/94, Last 140/88, average 147/95. My doctor says I should give lisinopril six weeks to work. I'll try 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week for the next five weeks and see if there is any improvement.

October 3, 2009 4:57 AM