Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Migraine Prevention 13 reviews 32 medications

Alport Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lisinopril reviews 245 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Lisinopril

Review by ghotr:

For High Blood Pressure: I had taken Lisinopril for 5-6 years with no obvious side effects that caused me problems. Until 2 years ago, one morning I woke with a very obvious, very swollen eye. An ophthalmologist reported that I had gotten something in my eye and gave me eye drops. About 2 weeks later, the same thing occurred with my eye more swollen. I had an appointment with a new endocrinologist that day and decided to go to the ophthalmologist after that appointment. On meeting the new doctor, he immediately requested my list of medications and diagnosed the Lisinopril as the cause.

November 28, 2010 7:09 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Terrible cough. After 3 weeks stopped medicine and cough got better.

November 11, 2010 7:47 PM

Review by racey:

For High Blood Pressure: I began taking lisinopril about 10 months ago and after about 2 months, I began having a dry, hacking cough. I didn't pay particular attention to it at first, but it increased, as time went by. After the third month of coughing, I decided that I had better go to the Doctor, as I KNEW I had a very serious problem with my throat. One of my daughters was put on blood pressure medicine and she informed me that her Doctor told her that was one of the side effects. After much thought, considering the timing and reading, I am certain that it is the Lisinopril causing my problem.

October 29, 2010 1:05 AM

Review by Spectatrix:

For High Blood Pressure: I used lisinopril for about 10 years for hypertension secondary to polycystic kidney disease. Most of that time I spent at a 20mg dose and had an occasional dry cough, usually at night. However, it controlled my blood pressure well for most of that time and the cough wasn't persistent. We recently increased my dose to 30mg and I immediately developed a severe and persistent dry cough. It was so bad that I was taking two doses of Nyquil a night (once at bedtime, once ~4am) to subdue the cough and get to sleep. So, we discontinued the lisinopril.

October 25, 2010 12:27 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I have been using this for 2 years now and have found it to be very effective. I initially had a twice a day dose but I have found that taking the 20mg before bed just once a day very, very effective with minimal side effects. I did have the dry cough when I started but after a couple of months this disappeared and hasn't resurfaced. I also found that I urinated a little less but I keep myself hydrated and that presents no problems. For me this has been a very effective medicine.

October 24, 2010 9:35 AM

For High Blood Pressure: Since my gastroenterologist suggests avoiding Norvasc (amlodipine) because of my GERD, my PCP switched me to lisinopril. I started experiencing the usual cough but other symptoms I started experiencing and have had over the last 4 months since I started taking it I did not immediately link to this drug. These included upper and mid-back pain, headaches, dizziness at times, chest discomfort and possibly even elevating my blood sugar levels and with little impact on my hypertension when compared to Norvasc. I told my doctor that I have the GERD very much under control and just cannot stand the side effects of lisinopril so we switched back to the Norvasc. It will be interesting to see how quickly the side effects of the lisinopril subside.

October 18, 2010 4:29 PM

Review by kaybera52:

For High Blood Pressure: I was just prescribed this medicine 3 days ago for high blood pressure, running an average of 139/90. I am 38 with high blood pressure and strokes that run in the family. Day two and three I have had a severe temporal headache and itchy throat. Called the doctor but only suggested sinus medication at this time. I am taking 5mg once a day.

October 14, 2010 3:05 PM

Review by GArrow:

For High Blood Pressure: I broke out with hives all over my legs, back, and buttocks soon after starting this medication. Some of the hives looked like insect bites, a lot of them were bigger than a nickel, and some were a lot bigger than a quarter. The doctor told me to take Claritin which helped the hives, but then he increased the Lisinopril dosage and the hives broke out again like crazy. Doctor just prescribed a new medication, and the hives have stopped since I stopped taking Lisinopril.

September 14, 2010 10:27 PM

For High Blood Pressure: After 2 days of taking lisinopril (10mg), my blood pressure has gone from an average of 150/90 to 121/78. No side effects so far but its only been two days.

September 11, 2010 2:52 AM

For High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure was 145/80 and my physician prescribed 20mg lisinopril. My blood pressure fell almost instantly to 114/70 and has stayed there for 4 months. Now my dosage has been reduced to 10mg but my blood pressure is still 111/71. A great medicine for me with no side effects.

August 14, 2010 7:52 AM

Review by Bren1963:

For High Blood Pressure: I have had high blood pressure for over 12 years. I started taking lisinopril when I was only 32 years old. Just recently it has stopped controlling my high blood pressure very well. Additionally, I didn't realize it, but after reading all the other reviews, I now know where my cough is from! The dry cough started about 1 year ago and I just never really connected the two. Just today I have stopped the lisinopril and my Doctor has prescribed a beta blocker called metoprolol which I took for the first time today. Lisinopril worked really well for me for years (over 12) with hardly any side effects except the recent dry cough. I just believe my body has become tolerant of it and it no longer does the job.

August 12, 2010 12:05 PM

Review by Riggys:

For High Blood Pressure: I have not had any of the side effects that I've been seeing others report. I do find that I have to take a Benadryl at night but then I do have allergies anyway. I am currently trying to seek out information on which one of my 5 blood pressure medicines are now causing extreme leg cramps. I don't think it is this one.

July 15, 2010 5:12 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I have been feeling nauseous and have headaches all the time. I also have a cough which is annoying. I have been on the medication for three months and thought I had a gastrointestinal disease until I read all the comments on side effects. I feel better knowing where these symptoms are coming from.

July 6, 2010 8:58 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I started taking lisinopril in the 20mg dosage once a day. My blood pressure started around 160-170/90-100. After 30 days and not much change in my blood pressure, my doctor recommended taking two pills a day. Since I started that, my headaches have been unbearable. I am going to stop taking lisinopril.

July 6, 2010 2:06 PM

Review by wirt434:

For High Blood Pressure: Been on lisinopril/hydrochlorthiazide 20/25 for several weeks. Cough and throat tickle. Stomach cramps, lots of nausea. It did bring blood pressure down.

July 4, 2010 11:47 PM

Review by Emilywtf:

For High Blood Pressure: I was given this medication after being prescribed several beta blockers and not tolerating them very well- I have PVCs and heart block which made it difficult to find a medication that helped my hypertension and did not aggravate my arrhythmia. My hypertension was severe (generally 180/130 average) and I started with a dose of 10mg plus 20 mg of hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic). That did not lower my blood pressure enough so I was bumped to 20 mg of lisinopril without the hydrochlorothiazide. My blood pressure now averages 120/85 unless I am in a stressful situation. I have the occasional dry cough but am tolerating this medication very well and it has not had any effect on my PVCs and heart block. I am happy with this medication.

May 26, 2010 11:35 PM

Review by pebbles777:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Lisinopril 20g tab for about a year now. I have real bad cough for about a month and wheezing I had to take two weeks of steroids to heal. My throat is hoarse. I seem to have swelling in my throat, I get real sleepy, yawning a lot and I have not been alert with my mind. I am going to talk to my doctor. I even told my son about this drug for his blood pressure. I will probably change medication or take a lower dose and see how I do.

May 22, 2010 10:31 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Lisinopril is very effective for essential hypertension, even in low doses. I have had good experience with it.

May 14, 2010 3:45 PM

Review by vtech10:

Zestril (lisinopril) for High Blood Pressure: Got lip angioedema and anaphylaxis because of this mediation. Symptoms still exist.

May 9, 2010 12:34 PM

Review by Ramandeep:

For High Blood Pressure: This helped my grandma a lot.

April 12, 2010 8:58 PM

For High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure has come down after about 2 weeks of taking this medicine. I have had no side effects at all. I have been taking this medicine for about 4 months now.

April 6, 2010 7:43 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I was taking Lisinopril for about 6 months for my blood pressure which was 150/103...it went down to about 115/70 which is good. But I develped the "ACE cough" like abut 15% of people do who take an ACE inhibitor. I had to keep cough drops and hard candy with me at all times and it was really embarrassing in my classes to cough so much. I also lost feeling in the tips of my fingers and toes a lot, and occasionally felt like my face and lips were swelling. So finally I had my doctor switch me to a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) and all of my symptoms have gone away that I can tell. I have to go to the bathroom a little more often but that is way better than coughing all the time. I'm hoping it will work for my high blood pressure too.

March 21, 2010 9:34 PM

Review by james82:

For High Blood Pressure: i have been taking the medication for over a year and overtime the side effects have got worse and unbearable, the feeling of extreme tiredness and weakness, started having rapid heart beat, swelling in eyes and hands, its become too much my last few visit my bp has been normal so they are going to take me off and see how i do without it, which im glad cause i couldnt keep taking it with those side effects, hoping i will not need the medication but if i have to go back on im going to ask to be switched to something else

February 15, 2010 1:58 PM

Review by Me in Texas:

For High Blood Pressure: I used this medicine for about 3 years. It worked great. But over the past two weeks I have had to go to urgent care for the swelling of the left side of my tongue and the severe swelling of my bottom lip!

February 9, 2010 3:31 PM

Review by kennyp:

For High Blood Pressure: Had most side effects with this medicine.

February 8, 2010 11:01 AM