User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Migraine Prevention 13 reviews 32 medications

4.5
Alport Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lisinopril reviews 256 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Lisinopril

For High Blood Pressure: "It did drop my blood pressure, but within 2 days I felt nauseated, tired, and got cramps. I explained to the doctor it was like having a hangover times 10 without the benefits the night before. I am about to try Bystolic 5mg."

williamfpeopl June 22, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 1 x 20 mg tablet a day. Blood pressure was 205/95. 6 months now and blood pressure is pretty good. It varies between 118/85 - 135/80. I did develop a dry cough. But its not unbearable."

dini May 31, 2011

Zestril (lisinopril) for High Blood Pressure: "Husband had been taking between 20 and 40 mg/day for 7 years, been fine. Dad had been taking even longer and got the facial angioedema. Have seen other patients with it too. Late effect allergy to ACE inhibitors."

Anonymous May 30, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "Doctor said I don't have high blood pressure but he states that he would like to see my blood pressure lower than what it is. I started off with 10 mg and I had an dry cough every once in a while but what I have noticed is that my body always felt hot but now I can put my hand on my neck and I don't feel hot anymore. Oh by the way my doctor stated that the blood pressure did drop and to continue to use it. Now that I'm remembering at first I was dizzy and felt weird but after 3 months I feel no more dizziness. I'll continue to use it. "

gas man May 20, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "Blood Pressure was 180/114 when I started taking Lisinopril. It worked well for my BP but the side effects were more than I could handle. Fatigue, nausea and daily vomiting. We are in the process of trying to find a better option."

Anonymous April 6, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I am on Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg, as well as Lisinopril for consistent diastolic pressure of 90-92 at 52yrs old (otherwise amazing health, not overweight, exercise. Lisinopril both caused me to wake up in the middle of the night with involuntary hyperventilating. Sort of like what I imagine a panic attack would feel like, except I had no reason to have any anxiety. Feeling like I couldn't stay "on top of the medicine", even if I drank lots of water."

Anonymous March 26, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I took Lisinopril for approximately five months and could no longer take the coughing. Initially I was tired all the time. It had been prescribed to take every morning. I called my doctor and we switched to taking in the evenings so I would sleep better and that cleared the lethargy. However the cough never went away. It was violent and painful (headaches and feeling like ribs were bruised), caused huge disruptions at work, interrupted my sleep, and caused me to pee - even if I had just emptied my bladder. I found out this was a common side effect and called my doctor today to switch to something new. I start Losartan tomorrow."

TIno33 March 14, 2011

For Diabetic Kidney Disease: "I have been taking this medication for 6 months, so far it is working ok with no side effects."

Anonymous January 30, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "Lisinopril is a miracle drug. I'm probably alive today because of Lisinopril. It works perfectly. 120/78. All I will say is that by taking this medicine, it gives you yet one more excuse NOT to exercise. The medicine does the work of exercise for lowering blood pressure."

Anonymous January 30, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 27 years old and have been taking lisinopril for almost 2 years for high blood pressure, which also caused very frequent headaches. I was first prescribed 10 mg per day. I had a lot of light headedness and I actually fainted once. My cardiologist then lowered my dosage to 5 mg per day. My headaches are virtually gone. I haven't had a true migraine since I started on the drug. I have woken twice with a swollen eye, which I didn't connect to lisinopril until I read the comments here, but other than that, I've had zero side effects since switching to the 5 mg."

Amanda12345 January 9, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "When I was diagnosed out of the blue, my blood pressure was 194/101. I was prescribed 30 mg of Lisinopril and I only experienced the dry tickle cough and dry mouth. In two weeks my blood pressure was at 170/97. Each week for the next three it continually lowered, but the tickle remained. Doctor dropped it to 20 mg and added 12.5 mg of hydrochlorthiazide in one tablet a day. The cough immediately subsided and I've been on it for 3 and a half years now. I rarely get headaches (prior to being diagnosed I was having almost daily headaches) and my blood pressure now maintains at 119/69. Going to the gym 3-4 days a week has helped a lot."

kristin421 December 10, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I had taken Lisinopril for 5-6 years with no obvious side effects that caused me problems. Until 2 years ago, one morning I woke with a very obvious, very swollen eye. An ophthalmologist reported that I had gotten something in my eye and gave me eye drops. About 2 weeks later, the same thing occurred with my eye more swollen. I had an appointment with a new endocrinologist that day and decided to go to the ophthalmologist after that appointment. On meeting the new doctor, he immediately requested my list of medications and diagnosed the Lisinopril as the cause."

ghotr November 28, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "Terrible cough. After 3 weeks stopped medicine and cough got better."

Anonymous November 11, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I began taking lisinopril about 10 months ago and after about 2 months, I began having a dry, hacking cough. I didn't pay particular attention to it at first, but it increased, as time went by. After the third month of coughing, I decided that I had better go to the Doctor, as I KNEW I had a very serious problem with my throat. One of my daughters was put on blood pressure medicine and she informed me that her Doctor told her that was one of the side effects. After much thought, considering the timing and reading, I am certain that it is the Lisinopril causing my problem. "

racey October 29, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I used lisinopril for about 10 years for hypertension secondary to polycystic kidney disease. Most of that time I spent at a 20mg dose and had an occasional dry cough, usually at night. However, it controlled my blood pressure well for most of that time and the cough wasn't persistent. We recently increased my dose to 30mg and I immediately developed a severe and persistent dry cough. It was so bad that I was taking two doses of Nyquil a night (once at bedtime, once ~4am) to subdue the cough and get to sleep. So, we discontinued the lisinopril."

Spectatrix October 25, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been using this for 2 years now and have found it to be very effective. I initially had a twice a day dose but I have found that taking the 20mg before bed just once a day very, very effective with minimal side effects. I did have the dry cough when I started but after a couple of months this disappeared and hasn't resurfaced. I also found that I urinated a little less but I keep myself hydrated and that presents no problems. For me this has been a very effective medicine."

Anonymous October 24, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "Since my gastroenterologist suggests avoiding Norvasc (amlodipine) because of my GERD, my PCP switched me to lisinopril. I started experiencing the usual cough but other symptoms I started experiencing and have had over the last 4 months since I started taking it I did not immediately link to this drug. These included upper and mid-back pain, headaches, dizziness at times, chest discomfort and possibly even elevating my blood sugar levels and with little impact on my hypertension when compared to Norvasc. I told my doctor that I have the GERD very much under control and just cannot stand the side effects of lisinopril so we switched back to the Norvasc. It will be interesting to see how quickly the side effects of the lisinopril subside."

Anonymous October 18, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I was just prescribed this medicine 3 days ago for high blood pressure, running an average of 139/90. I am 38 with high blood pressure and strokes that run in the family. Day two and three I have had a severe temporal headache and itchy throat. Called the doctor but only suggested sinus medication at this time. I am taking 5mg once a day."

kaybera52 October 14, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I broke out with hives all over my legs, back, and buttocks soon after starting this medication. Some of the hives looked like insect bites, a lot of them were bigger than a nickel, and some were a lot bigger than a quarter. The doctor told me to take Claritin which helped the hives, but then he increased the Lisinopril dosage and the hives broke out again like crazy. Doctor just prescribed a new medication, and the hives have stopped since I stopped taking Lisinopril."

GArrow September 14, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "After 2 days of taking lisinopril (10mg), my blood pressure has gone from an average of 150/90 to 121/78. No side effects so far but its only been two days."

Anonymous September 11, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was 145/80 and my physician prescribed 20mg lisinopril. My blood pressure fell almost instantly to 114/70 and has stayed there for 4 months. Now my dosage has been reduced to 10mg but my blood pressure is still 111/71. A great medicine for me with no side effects."

Anonymous August 14, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had high blood pressure for over 12 years. I started taking lisinopril when I was only 32 years old. Just recently it has stopped controlling my high blood pressure very well. Additionally, I didn't realize it, but after reading all the other reviews, I now know where my cough is from! The dry cough started about 1 year ago and I just never really connected the two. Just today I have stopped the lisinopril and my Doctor has prescribed a beta blocker called metoprolol which I took for the first time today. Lisinopril worked really well for me for years (over 12) with hardly any side effects except the recent dry cough. I just believe my body has become tolerant of it and it no longer does the job."

Bren1963 August 12, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I have not had any of the side effects that I've been seeing others report. I do find that I have to take a Benadryl at night but then I do have allergies anyway. I am currently trying to seek out information on which one of my 5 blood pressure medicines are now causing extreme leg cramps. I don't think it is this one."

Riggys July 15, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been feeling nauseous and have headaches all the time. I also have a cough which is annoying. I have been on the medication for three months and thought I had a gastrointestinal disease until I read all the comments on side effects. I feel better knowing where these symptoms are coming from. "

Anonymous July 6, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking lisinopril in the 20mg dosage once a day. My blood pressure started around 160-170/90-100. After 30 days and not much change in my blood pressure, my doctor recommended taking two pills a day. Since I started that, my headaches have been unbearable. I am going to stop taking lisinopril."

Anonymous July 6, 2010