User Reviews for Liothyronine

Also known as: Cytomel, Triostat

Learn more about Liothyronine.

Myxedema 0 reviews 2 medications

TSH Suppression 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Thyroid Suppression Test 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Liothyronine reviews 17 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Liothyronine

For Underactive Thyroid: My doctor prescribed a dosage of 5mcg along with my Synthroid. My blood work always comes back with my TSH too high and my T3 too low. This seems to work on my tiredness but since I have been taking it (3 weeks), my whole body seems to be aching. I don't know if it is in my joints or in my bones.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by Mich:

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: I suffered for 5 years with Anxiety and Depression. I tried many, many antidepressants. Nothing worked. My T3 levels were very low but my TSH was only slightly high. One doctor treated me with Synthroid but I had no changes. I saw many doctors including an endocrinologist that told me that nothing was wrong with my thyroid. After spending many hours online looking for answers, I found an endocrinologist that said he would try treating me with Cytomel. Within a day I felt AMAZING! It was like someone put new batteries in my body! I am finally able to be happy and live life again! Truly a Miracle!

February 23, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by Mocristy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: After thyroid removal, the horrible experience of synthroid, and finally getting on natural desiccated thyroid, I had to switch to t3 temporarily due to my rt3 being too high. The conversion was fairly easy, but a bit taxing on my adrenals. I had to be more careful of stressful situations for a little while. Overall, I am very happy with the t3 and may just stay with it. Although, dosing four times a day is tedious.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 6:20 AM

Review by Ash RN:

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: I was on Synthroid only for 8 years after being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism . My dose was changed many times over that time frame by 4 different Endocrinologists but I still felt bad, weight gain, fogginess, depression, chronic fatigue you name it. 6 weeks ago I was put on 10 mcg of Cytomel by a new doc that I am seeing a 100 miles from my home town and I am happy to say for the first time in 8 years I have relief from my symptoms. I have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I am happy not in a fog anymore and I have energy to enjoy life once again. The Cytomel made all the difference.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 11:12 PM

Review by 69me (taken for less than 1 month):

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: I have been on this for a day and my aches and pains have subsided. I will not give it a 10 because I am not "perfect" yet.

June 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by me2buc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: This medication has been a life saver for me. I don't know if it works really well for depression or if I was hypothyroid but it has saved my life and I am so very thankful for it.

November 15, 2012 8:29 PM

Review by JET513 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Underactive Thyroid: Added 0.5 mcg to my Tirosint in August - nothing much changed until last week when I started taking this 1 hour after my Tirosint - down 5 lbs in one week! I have changed nothing else.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2012 1:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Underactive Thyroid: I have gained 20 pounds in the last 2 months, feel really hungry all the time, am having a hard time breathing for about a month now. I do not know if the breathing is from the medication, air, or allergies. My thyroid is under control though.

September 9, 2012 10:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Underactive Thyroid: I have had hypothyroidism for almost my entire life. I have been on Synthroid and generic levothyroxine and never felt much better with all symptoms remaining. I finally got an endocrinologist to listen to me and he lowered my dose of Synthroid and gave me liothyronine. My depression lifted in 2 days, my cholesterol dropped 40 points and my energy level has never been this good. I am having a little difficulty with insomnia. I still struggle to lose even 1 pound but I'll still take the difference that I feel.

August 2, 2012 9:58 AM

Review by Bigi (taken for less than 1 month):

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago. I have been on various T4 supplements since: Synthroid, levothyroxine, Tirosint and continued to complain of fatigue, fogginess, wt gain, achiness, shortness of breath at exercise. FINALLY switched doctors as my Indian doctor would not try Armour. The new nurse practitioner looked at my labs: high T4, nonexistent T3. She switched me back to Synthroid and decreased the dosage, then added, for the FIRST time, Cytomel (T3). Within 3 days I have noticed a HUGE difference. So happy and still know the time test. BUT, fog is lifting, energy level increasing, sleeping well, HAPPY. I am hoping this continues. Noticed a slight headache at first but not bad. Will continue to cautiously be excited that we are ON to something.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by pending judgement:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: After diagnosis of Grave's Disease I was given Synthroid. Took this alone for 20 years. Dosage was lowered from 0.150 to 0.125 when thought to be causing irregular heart beat. Had an "oblation" of nerves around heart area that was causing irregular beating and remained on 0.125 dosage feeling better. A new Endocrinologist had me add Liothyronine in a custom "compound" dosage of 2.5mcg and lowered Synthroid to 0.112. One measurement was high the other low hoping to balance the two. Didn't feel a lot of improvement. Noticed I was more irritable with upset stomach. Tried it for 2 months but quit- wasn't happy with it. I've started taking it again and have small improvements in mental clarity, regularity, but get migraines.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2011 3:16 AM

Review by abbazwoman:

For Underactive Thyroid: The first day I took it, my constipation and heart flutters disappeared, and my energy came back. I believe I'll need a larger dose soon, but so far no complaints at all.

November 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: My doctor and I tried every T4 medication out there, and although I felt better I still wasn't right. After 2 years he switched me to Cytomel and I immediately knew I had found the solution. All the hypo symptoms disappeared - constipation, depression, weight gain and exhaustion. My cholesterol dropped to 140... in fact, all my blood work is excellent. It's very discouraging to know you're doing everything right - diet, exercise, sleep - and not only do your lab numbers not respond, but doctors tend to think you're not telling them the truth. Finally found a doctor that believed me; finally found the right medication. Life is good!

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2010 1:51 PM

Review by Shoo:

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have been taking Cytomel to compliment Synthroid for 2 days and my life has already changed for the better! I feel alive and my severe sweating and hot flashes have subsided - so far. I am SO VERY happy now.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2010 1:17 PM

Review by Sunshine7580:

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I've taken this medication for a month and I can say it has changed my life: more energy, more sex drive and losing weight. Only drawback was I get migraine headaches when I don't drink enough water. Drink lots of water with this medication.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2010 9:58 AM

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: Adding 10mcg of Cytomel to my T4 medicine was just what my body needed to clear up those lingering hypothyroid symptoms that just wouldn't go away, no matter how good my lab numbers looked or other healthy habits I developed. Doctors seem really hesitant to prescribe it, but if you're hypothyroid and T4 alone isn't working, your body just might need some T3.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2009 10:30 PM

Review by Sidekick:

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have been using Cytomel for 3 months. I had been on compounded T3 for 9 months, however I was experiencing increasingly severe hot flushes. Currently my hot flushes have decreased.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2008 6:30 PM