User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 119 reviews 163 medications

7.1
Summary of Mirena reviews 974 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!"

Kimberley audrey December 29, 2014

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for almost three years now and love it. Insertion was not painful at all. Just a little uncomfortable. I bled for two months then my periods went back to normal. After a year they went away completely. I'm very thankful for that. I suffered from really bad menstrual cramps and severe mood swings. Once I got the Mirena my moods seemed to balance out. My cramps have disappeared. I have noticed even though I don't get a period I still get minor PMS symptoms. I would recommend this to any woman looking for a convenient birth control that works. Also I am glad it does not have estrogen in it. Some of the estrogen based birth control gives me migraines and causes me to be moody."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2014

For Birth Control "29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I."

Anonymous December 27, 2014

For Birth Control "I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic! "

MariG (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards."

angelica20 December 18, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had Mirena inserted on September 2. I had very heavy cycles that lasted 8 days. After getting Mirena my periods are much lighter, no more ultra tampons and overnight pads at the same time! My cycle is 5 days but only the first day is enough for a super tampon. I spot the rest and most of the days nothing! Insertion was horrible, my uterus is really high and is kind of hidden behind my what's called the G-spot. I would go through it again to have the cycle I have now. Side effects are Breast tenderness constantly and acne. Still love it!"

Sexycibby35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2014

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 5 months ago and am still having very heavy periods with horrible cramps. Periods are lasting about 3 weeks and then I only get a 2 week respite before it starts again. I've also gained quite a bit of weight these past 5 months. Thinking about having it removed. After reading and hearing others comments, I have noticed that those that have not had children are having more issues and side effects than the women that have had children."

gmbmw75mo December 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product."

Patchgurl86 December 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better."

hfischer December 12, 2014

For Birth Control "Well I just had my first child at 25, never had tried birth control and I choose to go with Mirena to prevent pregnancy for 3 years. It has been about 7 months and I love I don't have to use condoms but I haven't been regular since I got it in.. it does effect my sex life, but I'm hoping that very soon I'll have no more periods. I do recommend it. I didn't have pain even though my doctor had little problem with putting it in but I felt little to no pressure and light spotting. So hopefully my period goes away and I don't get pregnant and I will give it a 10."

loks Momma December 11, 2014

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!"

youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2014

For Birth Control "Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy."

Newlywed3 December 8, 2014

For Birth Control "Just wanted to chime in a positive review for Mirena. I had the Mirena inserted in July of 2014. I did not think it was painful at all - just like an intense cramp for about 10 seconds, but I think everyone has a different body and a different pain tolerance. My gyno warned me that side effects take 3-6 months to go away. I randomly spotted for the first 2 months or so - not terrible, just annoying. The one side effect that I didn't like was that when my period would normally be happening, I wouldn't bleed, but I would get really light-headed/zoned out for a few days. I was a little worried by the second month that had happened (September 2014), but it never happened again. Mirena has been FANTASTIC since. No period/spotting, not pregnant."

Be patient! December 6, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 25 years old,and I have always had painful heavy periods for as long as I can remember and after I had my first child (C-section ) my hormones were so messed up, I was hemorrhaging and ended up in the hospital. I tried every kind of birth control you can think of. Mirena was my last choice, since they wouldn't give me a hysterectomy because of my age. The procedure was the most painful experience. I guess since I haven't had intercourse in over a year, and didn't have a vaginal birth, my cervix has never been dilated. After 4 times trying to put the Mirena in, It was in. First day was absolutely terrible. But after that it was okay. Light spotting occasionally. Would recommend this to women who have had a vaginal birth."

Anon1989 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

For Birth Control "12/14 Love It! I'm 36, have a Toddler and I am done having children. I was on birth control pills for years, but as I'm no longer having children Mirena is a great reversible (if you so choose). My doctor measured my uterus, cut to Mirena to size & Insertion took less than 2 minutes. A quick pinch & it was done. Your doctors skill & your body dictate the pain level, let's face it. I lightly cramped for a couple days afterward from my body acclimating, but otherwise, I have had zero issues. If you are looking for a long term birth control solution, Mirena is Fabulous! "

Me78 December 5, 2014

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted 7 months ago. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and experienced only minor pain upon insertion. I had some mild cramping throughout that day, but afterwards none. I still have fairly regular periods--every month, light bleeding with a little bit of cramping. I was told that after about 6 months my periods would probably disappear, but I'm still waiting for that to happen. No weight gain, acne, or change in mood or libido. I love it! Very satisfied."

Hjo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

For Birth Control "I used to get cramps so terribly painful that at 24 years old, I was begging my doctors to approve a hysterectomy. This had been an ongoing issue for me. I finally got the Mirena as recommended by a friend and I don't get my period anymore. Only downside is that on rare occasions, I do experience cramping after heavy exercise. I didn't gain weight and no negative side effects to report on really. I would recommend this to every woman."

anonymous1000 December 1, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 16 and apparently the youngest to get Mirena from all the reviews I have read. I only got it inserted a few days ago. I have never had children, nor have I ever been pregnant. I've also not had much sexual experience, but the procedure was quite quick and really was not that painful. I don't consider my pain tolerance very high but the pain was very bearable. I got it inserted while on my period. During my usual menstruation I get horrible cramps that will even cause me to vomit, but during the procedure the pain wasn't even close to that. I felt pretty much normal walking or of the building, no cramping. I even went horseback riding for 2 hours right after the procedure! I immediately noticed a difference in my period. Love it!"

Jennafuzz December 1, 2014

For Birth Control "I chose Mirena after having my fourth child. I was spotting lightly for 6 weeks and almost wanted to take it out, but I waited and the spotting passed. I had that Mirena for a full five years and only had two periods on it. I removed the Mirena and waited for three months to have it replaced. The insertion was just a tiny pinch, no pain really and lasted about 30 seconds. I had some very light spotting, this second time around, maybe a drop of blood during the first day and no bleeding afterwards to my surprise since. My doctor suggested I will probably not have any periods again. I highly recommend this wonder product. It is a miracle product. I never had any side affects from it."

Klaudia28 November 30, 2014

For Birth Control "I had Mirena placed in on September 12,2014. I just had my second child in July 2014 so the insertion was not painful! I liked the concept of having Mirena but now that I have it, I have not stopped bleeding since!!! I can't have sex ever because I am always spotting! It is just annoying!! I am really considering getting it removed! I would much rather have my period once a month then bleed every single day!!"

BurkT (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Birth Control "I chose Mirena because The Pill became too expensive to buy every month. I was happy to find out my insurance paid for 100% of the costs! I only cramped for about two weeks after, and those were very mild, but I don't have a history of cramps either. I do not have a period anymore (which is great for saving $ on tampons!) although I do still have some symptoms of PMS each month. The only downside I have to say about it is that because Mirena doesn't have the same hormones as The Pill, my acne isn't being regulated like it was before, but it's definitely not unmanageable."

Katie515515 November 26, 2014

For Birth Control "This device saved my sex life! Sinse insertion (that wasn't that bad) I've not had one thrush infection! I know people say IUDs can make infections worse, but for me it's been a life saver. I have lost weight and my mood and libido have greatly improved. I am 24, no kids and have tried every other Birth Control under the sun (including Implanon) all gave me constant thrush and weight gain! Amazing such a small thing can reap such positive changes!!"

MargoM1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 22 and had the Mirena inserted last month. I had dysmennorhea that was so bad that for 5 days of my cycle I was bed bound on morphine tablets. My bleeding has always been normal flow and predictable. But painful with many trips to the hospital when my tablets were not effective. During the rest of my cycle I was functioning on codeine tablets. I had tried other methods to control the pain such as the pill which only made it worse and unpredictable. Since having the Mirena fitted, I have been off my painkillers entirely (only taken codeine for a couple of days over the actual period time). The fitting was only uncomfortable with no pain killers. I have spotted nearly every day since fitting but that is welcome in comparison."

1monthtrial November 22, 2014

For Birth Control "December 4th will be my third month with Mirena. I'm 18 years old and could not be happier. I have had one period so far right on time, lasted a solid 5 days will no cramping and I've been spotting ever since. The spotting isn't bad, somedays it requires a panty liner, other days it's not even noticable. I have full faith the spotting will stop within the next 3 months. It's not enough to keep me from having sex, so it's really no problem at all. I'd reccommend this to every woman. Insertion was about eequivalent pain to getting a tattoo but shorter (only lasted 30 seconds) and cramps after lasted a few hours. I went back to classes the next day, was able to run again within 3 days. The strings are perfect length. 10/10"

Trishy44 November 18, 2014

For Birth Control "I wanted to share my experience with the procedure. I am 19 and never have had kids. When they put in the Mirena it didn't hurt like many women on the review said. It felt like a quick cramp and then it was all over with. It's been about three days, and so far I have had light cramping about 3 times a day and spotting."

Natasha j November 18, 2014