User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1122 reviews 275 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 233 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1355 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I would not recommend for anyone. What the doctors fail to mention is the constant pain and discomfort. They will also make excuses when asked to have it removed telling you to wait. After 5 years of pain, no sex life as the cramping is not worth it. finally i was granted my wish to have it removed. Unfortunately it was surgically as it had went into my uterine wall. The doctors fail to mention this product can ruin lives as im not sure if i can have children. Threads were still visible and had regular checks too. 3 days it has been gone and my headaces, cramps, pain down my leg gone with it. Yes it stops pregnancy but at the cost of it being potentally permanent and also the lack of sex drive. My advice please avoid."

Ycreip (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2015

For Birth Control "This is my second time with the Mirena. The first time was after my son and once the 5 yrs was up I got it replaced with a new one. My first Mirena was wonderful.(no heavy bleeding, not getting pregnant etc) I dont know if they changed something in the birth control.My 2nd Mirena I have had massive side effects.( Nausea, Vomiting, Mood Swings, Weight Gain, 0 sex drive, Abdominal cramps) This is insane I talked to my Doctor as I was vomiting w/nausea for three days off and on. He explained that there could be a problem with the birth control and that I should come in asap. Long and behold I had an ectopic pregnancy and was given the pill to stop my pregnancy. My IUD was removed after this and I've not looked back"

seagal26 November 19, 2015

For Birth Control "Got the Mirena put in the morning. I was really sceptical about getting it done after all the reviews I had read, but after talking to my Dr about it, I decided to give it a shot. The insertion wasn't nearly as bad as I had pysched myself up for, although, of course; everyone takes "pain" differently. For me, it felt like that weird pressure you feel when you push too hard on your belly button. I've had mild cramping and slight bleeding throughout the day, but its nothing as bad as a regular period cramp. If anything, they feel less then a period cramp. Hopefully it continues like this, cause its all tolerable."

SJMOJ November 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I got my Mirena inserted 2 days ago. I'm 48 and this is to try and curtail heavy bleeding. I had it once before, when I was in my early 30s and kept it for 3 years. It was removed after I had a tubal ligation. I have 2 kids, ages 22 and 21. I took 200 mg of misoprostal vaginally the night before, and 800 mg of ibuprofen one hour before insertion. Worst part by far was when the doc clamped my cervix to steady it. I reacted by lifting my butt off the table without planning to, it was an involuntary reaction. Actual insertion hurt but it was quick, like 20 seconds. Cramping and bleeding for several hours following, get a heating pad as it really helps. It's now day 3, n cramping and only spotting when I wipe. All ok"

Giraffe66 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Birth Control "So I've only had the mirena IUD for a couple hours however I am very optimistic of the effects but I wanna tell you about the insertion process cause I definitely was terrified after reading what seemed like endless bad reviews about how much the insertion hurt and how it was the worse experience ever and that because I've never had a child it would be even more painful etc. Well let me just say all that was way too exaggerated but keep in mind everyone's body is different and will take things differently. So I've never had a child and I was able to get an IUD inserted and it was no more painful or uncomfortable then a pap. I took ibuprofen and wore lose clothes after it was in the cramping has been on and off but not unbearable so it was pretty easy"

Happy vamper5 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Birth Control "Had Mirena twice. First time it rejected, 2nd time I had it in for 2 years. Insertion was painful, they manually opened my cervix to place it. Hurt so bad. Was depressed, mood swings, no sex drive, painful sex, cyst on ovaries, it migrated and was extremely painful being removed. Cant forget hair loss, lost a ton of hair! Came out in clumps... but never had a period!"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had my IUD for about 3 months. The insertion was a lot more painful than I expected and I had bad cramps for a couple days afterward. It was overall not bad seeing as it last for 5 years. I gained about 10lbs when I first got it but have been able to lost about 6 of those with diet and exercise changes. I do have pretty extreme mood swings but they are getting better as I think the hormones are working themselves out! I have an increase in sex drive for sure!!"

db1991 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my Mirena IUD in October and I was super excited about it. The pain getting it in was pretty mild but my biggest problem is bleeding. I haven't had a period since before I started mirena but since I've started I've been bleeding for a least a month straight I get more intense headaches really bad cramping in a serious loss of appetite"

MrsToussaint5621 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I chose this also to lessen periods. Inserted March 2015. I'm 47, have had no children & have a womb which tilts towards my back Insertion was horrendous & as I have arthritis, I'm used to pain. Severe cramping afterwards, eased after a few days. Ocasional cramps since. First month very light period nothing since - that's the good news for me! I've been on the mini-pill before & had bad side effects. No greasy hair/skin, no mood swings/low libido/insomnia, but the weight gain has been rapid. I've gone from a uk 14 to a 16/18 without changing my eating habits or levels of physical activity. It seems to be concentrated around the stomach. I'm now obese & struggling to find a strategy to lose the weight. Advantages outway weight gain for now."

Kerrt November 14, 2015

For Birth Control "Had the Mirena IUD inserted today. I had a mild cramp or two when it was inserted, and some light bleeding, but Other than that it was no more uncomfortable than a pap test. I did some slow deep breathing during the procedure that seemed to relax me. It was covered by my insurance and since I already have 3 children and am pretty sure we are done having kids this was my best option."

Mrs. Payne November 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I am up to my second mirena now, I highly recommend, I have had no problems what so ever, insertion hurts for two seconds, highly worth the mild uncomfortable sensation, when it lasts for five years. I'm happy with it"

mel-fnq (taken for 10 years or more) November 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on the mirena for a little over 2 years. I experienced a lot of irregular bleeding for the first few months but by 6 months I no longer had any bleeding at all. I have been almost 2 years without needing tampons and I love it! I love the mirena because there isn't any mess; I don't have to remember to take a pill or put on a patch, and I love how effective it is. It is also much cheaper in the long run. Now for the side effect. I have become increasingly aware that I have extreme mood swings more frequently. I just thought that I was depressed by life events but lately it has been more of a roller coaster of manic mood swings. After some research I found this to be a common side effect. I am currently seeking ways to offset this"

Mcgurski (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the mirena now for 3 months and the initial insertion was horrible, I didn't know to take ibuprofen, because although I had read up on side effects and the insertion I didn't see about taking anything nor did I think to. I have a relatively tight vagina as well which makes gyn appointments no fun already but I'm not one for taking pills so again I didn't think to. That said, the insertion was terrible, so painful I passed out on a the table and the pain continued for hours only to be subsided when I was given an 800mg ibuprofen. I cramp slightly more but bleed a lot less, the only big difference I've seen lately is it is so hard to sleep and Ian anxious all the time. Otherwise so far so good I guess."

Allykat91 November 7, 2015

For Birth Control "Had mierna for about 6 months. Was told that it would help my cysts disappear and it had little to no side effects. It was a great thing being that i got pregant with my son while on the pill. This was 5 years, check string, no periods, and all that. Well starting 2 months after having it in which would be july 2015 i started experiencing pain in my lower abdomen, back and my left leg/foot. It wasnt bad then every month from july 2015 until this month nov 2015 i was in more and more pain. No doctor could explain why. Finally decided to have it removed a few days ago. Best decision i made because the same day i started feeling better. All the pain was going away or gone. It's a good form of birth control but isnt for every women."

Jacqueline C November 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had my mirena in for 3 year's now ever since I had my daughter in 2012 I got it a couple weeks after giving birth . now let's start with the pro's .. OK yes the IUD is really good if u don't want to get pregnant and u want to space your kid's out you can have sex with your partner freely without a condom and won't have to worry about getting pregnant. Con's the bad part is mood swings,no sex drive ever and your body not getting rid of the blood that its supposed to every month . I miss the old me I'm getting it taking out Nov19 and I can't wait I'm gonna surprise my boyfriend because we both miss the sex before the mirena .. In my opinion I feel it's good for girl's in highschool or if u have a lot of kid's already. But I'm done"

Akinukuru November 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I was very nervous to use the IDU, I have been on the pill for three years and never had a problem. My period would last for 2 days sometimes 1 and be done. I wanted to try it because I didn't want to have be taking the pill everyday anymore. I was very nervous because what I have read. I finally had it done; It was the worst pain I have ever felt, it only lasted about 5 minutes and I had taken 5 200 MG Ibuprofen 45 mins before, but it hurt so much! After that I took more ibuprofen and it felt a lot better as the day went on I had more and more pain, felt dizzy and had horrible cramps and couldn't sleep from how bad it was! Was going to go get it removed ASAP! The next morning all pain was gone and I was back to normal! Now loving it!"

NewWomen (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

For Birth Control "Second time user, first time after 3 years it started to migrate into uterus wall. Second time pain in insertion due to tilted uterus and inexperienced PA, having full body rash and hives. Think it is very effective for BC but not sure if side effects are worth it..."

J36KS (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 17 and I got my IUD about 3 months ago. The insertion was the worst experience of my life. I had to have a nurse hold me down and I was in tears. The severe cramping lasted for a few weeks...I have been bleeding non stop for the past 4 months. For the first 2 months I would have really bad cramps sporadically throughout the day but now I don't at all. However, I have my period all day every day, still.... other than that, i love it. I recommend waiting it out for 6 months. (thats usually when the bleeding stops)"

vkat November 4, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had mine placed in March, it was very painful but what the heck 5 years to not worry put me at ease. I work two jobs and I run 5 miles a day 5 times a week and at night I do weights and on the weekends I burn 1200 calories on my cross trainer every Saturday and Sunday. I watch what I eat. I've been the same size since high school. I am 45. I noticed a belly coming on and now I am size 13 I have gained 25 plus pounds and this is unexplainable. Massive headaches, back pains. Now my hair is starting to fall out. Some memory loss and at night I break out in heat sweats and can't sleep or am so groggy I have to drink coffee. Non stop Migraines which make me nauseated. I have been healthy and active since my mid 30's getting out Monday."

beah beah November 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted 7 weeks after giving birth back in 2011. The initial process was okay, there was a little bit of cramping, but nothing major I took two Advil and the pain was gone. The Mirena itself was great, I had no issues or side effects, after the first two months I no longer got a period, but I would still experience the cramps and breast soreness. I recently got my Mirena removed because we could not locate the strings, after having an ultrasound done, we saw that the Mirena was exactly where it was supposed to be, although that was good news I decided to have it taken out. I would suggest it, no period, no side effects and you don't have to remember to take a pill daily. Its good for 5 years!"

S. Dobbs (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2015

For Birth Control "The insertion was easy. I experienced mild cramping. I took two ibuprofen before I went in, maybe that helped. Off and on that first week, i took ibuprofen for the cramping. I had it inserted about 1 month ago and since then I've had a light flow. Three days ago, I got my period. It's not heavier than in the past but it's definitely a period. I've read that for most women the bleeding stops within 30 days. For some it takes longer. If you decide to use this birth control, be prepared to wait it out."

Amy pcn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2015

For Birth Control "One of the worst things I've ever done! Was excited to get it as no longer had to worry about contraception but I was wrong. I had it inserted in October which was not very painful. Felt OK then in the middle of November started bleeding constantly. Checked with the dr and she said it would ease, I bled all the way through to mid February when I finally got it taken out. I was so depressed. So was really happy I had it removed and thought it was over until I started getting the most severe pain and ended up in emergency with an infection. I ended up on 3 courses of antibiotics. It's now the following November and am only just feeling like my normal self."

Samishka November 2, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had been having really heavy and painful periods for about 3 years when i decided to get the mirena. A few weeks later i had the most painful period ever. my gyno said to try it for at least 6 months to let it settle in and I'm so glad i did! My periods since that one haven't been a quarter as painful as they used to be and i hardly bleed! i used to have a 7 day period with such heavy bleeding the first three days I'd have to change a maxi tampon every 2 hours. Now i don't even bleed enough to use a mini tampon! just a panty liner. I also haven't noticed any changes emotionally or physically ( other than the lack of pain). I'd recommend ppl wait a few months before getting it removed, it's worth it in the end! I love it!"

Emmy88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2015

For Birth Control "I got mine October 18th 2014, six weeks after giving birth. The first few months were hell. Insertion didn't hurt but I was still taking Hydrocodones from my episiotomy so that's probably why. I bled for 4 months straight. Then when my periods came back they lasted two weeks. I lost so much weight, and it wasn't good because I'm underweight. I became so moody and just mean. This is my first birth control, and it could be my body just not reacting wel to hormones. However, a year later and my periods are now 2-3 days and barely anything. I'm happier now and I'm glad I didn't take it out. Everyone's body is different."

Stefstef123 November 2, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 43 years old. I have had three kids and am in Premenopause. I went from regular two and a half days period to a year and a half or irregular, heavy, cramping periods. I had the mirena inserted a month ago. I had to have a byopsy done. I had two doctors holding me down because there was no numbing. I almost passed out from the pain. After recovering I slightly bled for a couple of days. A lot of cramping for a week after. A month later I cramped severely for a week and then started my period. I'm on day six. I'm exhausted more often, have trouble remembering things and have a hard time concentrating. I'm already on anti depressants which is probably a good thing. I'm willing to give this longer hoping I'll stop soon."

Anonymous October 31, 2015