Medication Guide App

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 873 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by traceyb419:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had almost a constant headache when I first had it in I gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks (thought it was water but it stayed). Not sure if I got depression or I just didn't feel right. Got it out yesterday..no more constant headache!

January 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by Emmcat76:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have felt so wonderful since I had the Mirena inserted over a week ago - I feel like my old self! I have suffered for over a decade with huge fibroids, have been through two major open surgeries, multiple minor ones, have had horrendous periods, PMS through the roof, you name it - I've had it. This past week I have been energetic, happy, smiling and just plain normal!! I haven't felt like this for years and I can only assume my body is responding well to it. I hope my positive experience stays. I had it inserted under general anesthetic as my gyno did a hysteroscopy while she was in there.

January 21, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by sianscarlet:

For Birth Control: I just had my mirena removed after having it for 5 years. After only a few days of spotting and cramping I did not have a period for 5 years. I did however cramp a little every month and had mood swings. It was the best birth control experience ever and after having a few cycles I plan on having it put back in.

January 17, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by mia morgan:

For Birth Control: I've been on Mirena for about a month and a half, the insertion hurt and I've been on my period since then. It's not at all heavy, actually light enough to wear 1 panty liner all day. I think I want to get it taken out soon because I'm also feeling real crampy throughout the day.

January 13, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Sharkie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had this birth control in for 2 years and have had it removed. The only benefit was the fact that I didn't have to take the pill every day. I spotted all the time on this and got really random heavy periods. The side effects were unbearable (they creep up on you)! I didn't notice any major problems at first, but by year two I thought there was something medically wrong with me (I have been seeing a specialist, my normal Dr. couldn't figure out what was wrong with me) I had really emotional PMS, the sharpest worst cramps (I could feel the Mirena poking me for the inside) and no sex drive at all. I had difficulty focusing, was tired ALL the time, super sore body and I gained 27 pounds with no major lifestyle changes. Insertion and removal HURT!

January 10, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by Hazelk:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have dysmenorrhea. I have had Mirena for almost 5 years, due to get a replacement at the end of this month. It has been great - no periods, increased libido. I did get some angry red pimples on my chin, which cleared up with antibiotic cream from my GP. Have gained weight, but this is undoubtedly due to my terrible diet and lack of exercise! My GYN said I could leave it another 6 months, but I have been feeling moodier/libido decreasing the last couple of months, due to the hormones waning. Mirena is the best thing I ever tried, I got it to try and stop my very painful periods, and it has worked!

January 3, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Kellbell80:

For Birth Control: I have a 5 month old and just had the Mirena last month. It is amazing! Did not hurt whatsoever when they inserted it. I have had no side effects, cramping, nothing! I even have noticed I have lost a few pounds versus the weight gain of traditional birth control pills. I read reviews for weeks that terrified me for no reason, it was painless. It is worth every penny and I am so pleased with the results.

December 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: If I could give the Mirena a 20, I would! I had it inserted in August 2013 for endometriosis and I have had one period since; and I use the phrase period loosely (I barely bled for around 36 hours. It barely warranted the use of pantyliners). My primary reason for getting it was to keep my endometriosis at bay; it is an estrogen dependent disease that thrives during your period, so my doctor killed two birds with one stone. My insertion was mildly uncomfortable during the part where they open your cervix, but my doctor also had me take 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before my appointment. The whole insertion process took less than two minutes. I had absolutely no spotting, cramping for three days. Added bonus, sex drive is through the roof!

December 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Dayalin:

For Birth Control: I had my Mirena put in 10 years ago. The first one I had in 2003 then in 2008 and the third one this year 2013 April. I've been very satisfied with this birth control. I love it.

December 10, 2013 2:15 AM

For Birth Control: Had insertion May/2013 to help with heavy periods, only issue is hair loss. Now looking back, hair loss started within a few weeks of insertion. Going next week to have device removed. No other option, need to stop hair loss.

December 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Review by Jekala (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had it put in since 6 weeks after my 2nd son was born. It's been 6 months. Bled and spotted for 3 months and then stopped. I love everything except the mood swings and anxiety. I'm not the same with my family. Also my sex drive but if I can only get a hold on this anger I believe my sex drive would get better. Going to talk with my doctor about it and go from there. Hopefully it gets better.

December 6, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by Michelle.raeann:

For Birth Control: I have been on the Mirena for eight months now, and I have never been happier. I had my period once four months later, it was so light I only needed a pad. The insertion was painful but it lasted no more than a minute. I had cramping for two days and spotting for less than a month. I will use Mirena as birth control until I'm ready to have kids, and when I'm done having children I will get right back on it. I love it!

December 4, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by TwinkleToots (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had my Mirena in for 4 years. The reason I got it in is because I had bad endometriosis pain and symptoms. Since then the 1st couple of months I had a lot of bleeding and cramps but then my body adjusted to it all and life has been great! I'm able to function properly again and have never felt this good. I don't get any period bleeding either. Just some light spotting now and then. I love it. Since I'm not ready to have kids yet, I will probably get another one put in soon.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Tess73 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a Mirena put in when I had my laproscopy for Endometriosis about five months ago. I had a month of heavy bleeding at first now its just a few days a month of light bleeding the rest of the time there is a light discharge whatever that is. It is annoying as I have to always wear a pantyliner. Good thing the Mirena has gotten rid of the heavy painful bleeding I had and my menstrual migraines (which used to last for 7-10 days every month). Yay! Only thing that really upsets me is the acne on my chin, though its more like rash type spots then full on acne it looks dreadful as my face has red splotches on it and its embarrassing. Still I would prefer to have that then the horrible pains and migraines that I used to.

November 16, 2013 1:54 AM

Review by tooshy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had horrible cramping the day it was put in. But other then that, no spotting, or anything. Its such a lovely idea. My partner doesnt complain of the strings.

November 13, 2013 3:03 PM

Review by Aspeas:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena IUD for 2 years and I LOVED IT! Yes getting in was a tad painful, had cramping the rest of the day to where i just wanted a hot pad and to lay down, but after that i was happy that it was in, never had to remember to take a pill. I did feel like it Uped my sex drive, my husband never felt the strings at all. I'm not sure if this was part of it but i felt like i lost weight easily, my periods were sometimes non existant and when i did have them they were never heavy at all, a pantilinier was all i needed and my period seamed to last a couple days VS 5 days to a full week. Cramping when it did appear was a little painful at times but nothing a hot pad couldnt fix. After having a baby im going for it again!

November 10, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by ann1976 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I've had the Mirena inserted on Monday November 4th. So far so good. I thought it was going to hurt during insertion. To my surprise , when the doctor was done I didn't even realize it. No cramping so far and very little spotting. My Mirena was inserted after the last day of my period, I have it to help with heavy menstrual bleeding. I think the reason I don't have a lot of the complications that I have read that most women have is because my tubes are already tied, clipped and burnt. So far so good.

November 7, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by Robin A:

For Birth Control: I had my Mirena IUD put in 7 weeks ago, and I am loving it. I am 20, never had any children and don't want any for a while. I had it put in by my gyno; they used a local anethesia on my cervix (which was by far the worst part of having it inserted due to my serious fear of needles). The pain of having it inserted was somewhere between extreme discomfort and mildly painful, so overall not near as bad as I had expected. I passed out after the insertion, probably due to my anxiety over the needle, and was in a lot of pain for the rest of the day and threw up twice. The next morning, i felt completely normal. As far as side effects go I have had spotting before and after my period, and a lighter flow than normal. I definitely recommend Mirena!

November 5, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by KKS1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had the Mirena put in 9/4/13. It is 11/5/13 & I have not had 1 single day w/out bleeding!! This is so effective at birth control because you cant possibly have sex with all the bleeding it causes!! i am 38, of average weight and had it inserted for birth control, not to treat any other symptom. For me, getting it inserted was mildly uncomfortable, was over quickly. I was able to go running that same day...so I wasnt uncomfortable at all. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen before the appointment. The first 2 weeks I broke out with really nasty acne along my jawline. I think my hair has thinned. I have also experienced Migraine w/aura :-( My Mirena has until Jan., if this hasnt fixed itself, its coming out.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by Lolo123:

For Birth Control: I have had my Mirena in for 21/2 weeks. Before that I was on the pill for many years. I am 36 and have had 2 kids by C-section. My periods have been heavier since I had kids and I don't want to have any more. I also have slightly high blood pressure. Doc suggested we do Mirena because it is used to treat heavy periods, has no estrogen (which can contribute to high blood pressure) and circulates progesterone only in the uterus rather than systemically. The insertion was...um...awful, but quick. After that, just some cramping for the rest of the day and light spotting. I few days later I actually woke up with a sex drive!! Haven't had a period yet, but still have occasional cramps. Over all, has been a good choice so far.

November 3, 2013 5:26 PM

Review by Lexi.Wickerton93:

For Birth Control: I had the mirena inserted on Friday (it's been two days). It is very different for every woman as my doctor told me but this was my experience: They will take measurements first which is often a bit worse than the actual insertion. My experience, overall, was not bad. I had some pretty intense cramping, had to take really deep breaths, and remember it is only going to last a few seconds. Once it was done, I felt a little shakey and a little dizzy. The first night was uncomfortable, but I woke up the next day feeling much better and now I barely have any cramps at all. The important thing my doctor told me is to give your body a chance to get used to it. So far I am looking forward to not having to pop a pill every day!

November 3, 2013 11:42 AM

Review by miakim (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: It was extremely painful getting this put in. I've had pain and cramps since on and off. Sex hurt at the beginning. Not so much now. My periods last for 2 weeks and I get another one 2 weeks after that.

November 2, 2013 11:15 AM

Review by Jean Sue (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: This is Jean's husband. Jean had this device inserted many years ago. She was NEVER informed of its risks or how long until it should be removed. She has had severe cramps for years. We (I) have informed every doctor and emergency rooms she has gone to as to the divide. They all ignored the info. Yesterday she was taken to the hospital. She had severe chest pains. All cardio tests came back negative. Today they transferred her to ICU because her temperature kept spiking. They did blood work and found out she has massive infection running through her body. She is bagged and they are flushing her system to try and get rid of the infection. An OBYGN came in and tried to find the 'string' to remove this contraption. I will know more soon.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by mother0ftw0:

For Birth Control: Only form of birth control that worked for me. Convenient because I didn't have to worry about taking my pill or making appointment for the shot. I am pleased with this product.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Xomikki (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had m ine on for going on two months now and I love it. I was under the impression this little price of wonderful would be the worst decision of my life and to be honest, its not. Of course insertion hurt like a female dog, but that's to be expected. (I'm 18, never gave been pregnant by the way.) That first day- and that first few- stunk. But I found walking seemed to help. My next period was pretty heavy but lasted only 4 days and it was far better than my periods prior; which only happened maybe 4 times a year and when they did I thought I was dying. I lightly speed and gained like 6 pounds but In that aspect, mine is great. I cramp lightly now and that's a miracle in and of itself. My partner hardly notices the stings too. ;]

October 28, 2013 8:12 AM