User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1058 reviews 271 medications

7.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 190 reviews 162 medications

6.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 1248 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena coil fitted under general anaesthetic as I was in for another procedure. For weeks after having it I could barely walk, I was in so much pain. The pain eventually dulled to the point I could function but I always thought I could feel it stabbing me. I went to my GP to have it removed, after 3 horrendous years and heard the words everyone dreads when seeing a GP who has been practicing for over 30 years...."well I've never seen this before". When my Mirena coil was fitted, instead of both threads going through the hole in my cervix, one of the treads had literally been stabbed through my actual cervix and had to be cut out."

CharlotteK1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2015

For Birth Control "Horrible experience!!!! Had the mirena for 10 months with longer than normal periods. I had bleeding every month for close to 2 weeks each month. Finally decided to have my gyno remove it. It's been out for a week and half and I have been bleeding for 7 days. This is not normal bleeding. Very heavy bleeding with large clots. Some almost the size of a golfball. I've read a lot of forums from people and this has happened to ALOT of people. This is something that nobody warns you about. Please do your research before you choose this drug. It's not worth it!"

Blueeyes2014 September 4, 2015

For Birth Control "Hi I had the Mirena inserted 2 weeks ago it was inserted while I was undergoing another surgery so I was out under anesthetic when I woke I had really bad pain on my left side it went away after a few hours but still feel a little pain there every so often I've also experienced bloating nausea and daily extreme tiredness every afternoon I hope it goes away soon"

Tre Tamy September 3, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the mirena in almost 2 years. It has cause so much pain. Whenever I first got it the obgyn told me I would not have periods and if I did it just be here and there of spotting. The bleeding that's recently been happening is really heavy bleeding. I don't know if something is wrong or what's going on with it. I wouldn't suggest it to anybody. It causes so much pain and periods are not regular, and they are very heavy periods. It was so much money to get it in, but there is no way i'm keeping it, the mood swings, the random heavy periods, and the pain. I can't handle it any more."

Kesha williams September 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I wanted to comment on insertion. My IUD experience was awesome!! It took them 1 minute to measure and insert it. It did NOT hurt! It felt like a weird pressure in a strange place, but it was no big deal. I also relaxed a lot! I can imagine the only reason why it hurts for some people is because they don't relax!! My body did briefly faint because it was confused by something going in the cervix, but it was fine after that. I went about my day like nothing happened. I have not had children. They prescribed misoprostol and valium beforehand. I also took almost 500 mg of naproxen. Maybe that helped, but I'm always relaxed about gynocologist stuff."

Mirena friend (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have two children and I decided to get the Mirena IUD. I got it placed a little over two weeks ago. The insertion was not painful at all, just a mild pressure, and I only experienced faint cramps for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I have had ongoing menstrual bleeding ever since (16 days now). There are no cramps and no other side effects, but constantly having to carry around tampons is annoying. I was on the pill for over ten years before I had my kids, and I never had periods, so this is especially annoying."

MDMommy (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

For Birth Control "So I have been on the Depo shit for well over a decade and decided to opt for a different method due to the weight gain, headaches and bone density concerns. I have to say I was so scared about the procedure since I had heard nightmare stories about how painful it was. However, it wasn't that bad at all, like a slightly more intense pap smear but it was over quick. I had almost no cramping or bleeding (probably due to just stopping Depo) and it has been great so far. I have already noticed a small amount of weight loss and haven't has a headache for a while. Like mentioned before everyone is different so I'm grateful my experience has gone so well but I will post again if anything changes."

Taylynne September 2, 2015

For Birth Control "Today is the day after insertion for Mirena (first time user) and have 3 kids. In advance, the doctor's office told me to take 2 Advil before arriving at appointment. I barely felt the insertion and had to ask if it was inserted. I felt an ever so slight cramping for 2 hours afterwards (maybe because I was very aware of it and looking for some symptom) and then haven't felt anything since that time yesterday. I have a small amount of spotting (using a small pantyliner, but not enough for a pad). The doctor called to follow up today and stated some women do not have discomfort, especially after having 3 kids but to call back if I had any questions. I will update a review if any issues arise but wanted to post b/c read all experiences!!"

SNmomof3 (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Birth Control "Since I had the mirena I haven't gotten my period at all. It's been a year and I haven't bled. I have gained a lot of weight specially on my legs and I do get a lot of cramps sometimes."

Randomgirl1234567 September 2, 2015

For Birth Control "When they tell you Mirena can cause irregular periods, they're not joking. I had read a review that someone wrote saying they ruined every pair of underwear that wasn't black, & they definitely were not joking either! Before Mirena I had very heavy periods, I mean super plus in 3 hours on day 1. Mirena has lightened that tremendously! Although in the past 2 months, something has gone haywire! Last month, I had a 3 WEEK LONG PERIOD. It would stop for one day, then kick start as if it's day 1 and on all over again. I am currently on my second week this month, so I called & asked what I can do. They said there's nothing! It is a hormone, so it effects everyone differently. Otherwise, I'm not pregnant, & my 3 wk periods are lighter!"

LoLo8 September 1, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 46 years old and I actually got the Merina IUD inserted about 6 months ago. My main reason for the IUD was to help with my heavy periods. A combination of pre menopause and fibroids caused me to bleed so heavy, pills were not an option because of my fibroids. My doctor was great inserting it, he let me know when I was going to feel a pinch and he let me know when I was going to feel the cramping, it wasn't bad the whole process was less than 5 minutes. I had a watery discharge for the first 2 months, I spotted for a full 5 months and had a much lighter period for months 3-5. At month 6 I was gonna get it removed because I couldn't stand the spotting everyday but that eventually stopped in month 6. Gonna keep it..."

Chicago-Vanessa August 31, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "As a woman in my early 20s, I am too busy with school, work, travel and social life to begin worrying about having children of my own, thus why Mirena sounded so appealing; no daily pill, no irritating condoms, etc. I am prone to UTIs, the ultimate reason I chose Mirena, which is the only pro to have come with this procedure. Having had the Mirena inserted May 13, 2015 (the most painful procedure I have had yet), I have had MAYBE, and I mean MAYBE a total of 2 weeks where I did NOT bleed. My doctor failed to mention this. I have absolutely no desire to be intimate with anyone because I am so livid with the fact that the bleeding is so unpredictable. If I had not spent as much time/money as I had, I'd have it removed immediately."

TheVillain (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted on Aug 14th and so far other than bloating and spotting, I'm having a good experience with it. I got mine inserted at planned parenthood and it was uncomfortable but pain was similar to what I experience during pap smears, so not totally undoable. I'm curious to know when those who mentioned it caused weight gain started to notice it? Because I am already overweight and gaining lbs is not an option. Just trying to get a gage on when I should stop checking the scale relentlessly for any change. Thanks."

jwalt2010 August 31, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had it inserted 5 months ago. After spotting for 3 months, I was period free for the next 2 months. Suddenly I got such a heavy period. Which was disappointing, I though I was free from all that. Called Dr. Appointment in 2 days. I have headaches, aches, and some stinging and burning, thought I had a yeast infection. I guess there's a string I'm suppose to feel??. I went to the month appointment, making sure the mirena was positioned right. Mine had slipped down , but was assured it was fine. I haven't been feeling a bit icky, but I had no idea why? Hoping this is an easy fix. Usually with me, it never is."

marie nicole August 31, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This is my second mirena I have has in. No pain with getting it inserted and no periods for 10 years. I am now 50 years old and I'm overdue by 12 months to get it removed. Going in October. Is has been the best thing for me and I would recommend it to anyone with terrible bleeding I couldn't cough sneeze without have blood all over the floor. Had to sit on the toilet for hours until the bleeding would slow down. Best thing ever."

Kazza50 August 29, 2015

For Birth Control "Okay, it's been a year. Insertion was fine, until the silly woman cut the strings and caught my cervix with the scissors. I yelped a bit. Tiny periods now, lasting about 2 days. And not pregnant, so it works.. However the strings were cut too short, so when it's time to come out I'll have to be sedated and have my cervix forceably dilated, which doesn't sound much fun. And oh my - the pains. I've only had it about four times now, but jeez. It honestly feels like having a c-section while awake. Of course there were fears of perforations etc, but after scans and pee tests and blood tests, they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It just hurt so bad, for no reason at all. I'd have it out, but the procedure for me now sounds horrendous.."

:Rae: August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the mirena put in four days ago, having it inserted was painful, like a heavy cramp that lasted for a minute. I bled I was already on my cycle. But so far so good. No problems so far."

Anonymous August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I just had my 2nd Mirena put in today. I'm 41 and had to stop taking the Pill when I turned 35 because I am a smoker. I haven't thought about my IUD since the first week I had it put in 5 years ago - that's how well it works for me. Removal was much less painful than I thought it would be. It felt like a "tug" inside. Insertion is never fun. It feels like a strong contraction. It's been 6 hours since my appointment, I have no bleeding and just a little cramping. I have never had any problems with hormonal based Birth Control - if you have, Mirena might not be the best option for you, talk to your doctor."

WhenD (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2015

For Birth Control "35 years old, w heavy periods. I've had my IUD for 4 months and I love it! Perk #1: My obamacare covered 100% of it. My health insurance has never covered my pills. $20 a mo? NO MORE. I just saved over $1200! Perk #2: No more pills! And super effective birth control! And zero hassle. Perk #3: I spotted for a month. Now I'm super light periods & only a few minor cramps just before bleeding. Saving a ton of $ on tampons. And I can use REGULAR tampons now! No more ultras! Insertion felt like someone gave me a big pinch. Then it was over. 1st 2 weeks were uncomfortable. My weight, mood and complexion remain unaffected. I've been on almost every type of BC at 1 point or another. Hands down this is the BEST. Wish I'd done it years ago."

SillyWillyNillyLilly August 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted 3 weeks ago on the 28th. The procedure itself was probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced, however the doctor had a hard time getting my cervix to cooperate so it took longer than most. I was on the 2nd day of my period when I got it inserted and when I went in it was fairly heavy and I had really bad cramps. Literally since the day of insertion my period hasn't ended. It is extremely light, some days barely even spotting, and I haven't needed to use a tampon or anything since. It is kind if a nuissance but after reading many reviews and talking with friends I feel like it will be worth it in the long run. Do some research yourself as well as talk to your doctor about options before making a decision"

Pootypow August 26, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've experienced what most have as far the cramps in the lower back area, fleshy clotting, mucous clots, heavier bleeding. I'm used to the bleeding. What I am not used to is this smell. Horrible, rotten smell. I literally have no social life because I refuse to get close to someone smelling this way. Several baths or it will be strong. My ob suggested that the excessive bleeding caused me to have BV. I have never smelled this way before mirena. If things don't improve in month 3, removal will happen."

AshAshAsh August 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I experienced normal bleeding after getting it put in was a little worried because I bleed for a while after getting it put in. Was told it was normal. I have since not even thought about it. I have no problems or issues with it actually really like this birth control and I've tried many before"

use2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "Thought I'd share my experience thus far. 32 yr old, no children. Had Mirena inserted Aug 10th. Gyne prescribed cervix softener to be inserted night before insertion and recommend I take Advil 1 hr before procedure. I still felt a sharp pain that lasted all of about a minute upon insertion. After insertion had mild cramping for two days and light to moderate spotting/Brown discgarge since insertion. I am really happy with it so far."

Happy with Mirena August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been using Mirena for 3 years, after initial spotting I have yet to have a period. Once in a great while I'll spot a little bit. But I'm having it removed as soon as my husband gets a vasectomy because I am carrying around 15 extra pounds and my mood swings have been bad for all these years. I work out 5x/week and eat clean 90% of the time but cannot lose the weight. I am sick of it. I can't wait to be free of this. It was a good, convenient form of birth control, just not for me anymore."

Fytress (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "After having two children, I opted to have the Mirena inserted at my 6week PP visit, instead of using the pill. The insertion wasn't painful for me personally, however, I had it put in mid-end April, and it is now 4.5 months later and I have had bleeding/spotting everyday since that time. I have yet to have an actual period, but have spotted / bled enough every day since the insertion, with more painful cramps (daily) that I had previously on a regular. cycle. Also, I never experienced migraines in the past, and since the mirena I get them frequently (at least one biweekly) that brings nausea and effects my vision. I waited 5 months to give my body time to adjust, but at this point yes it's doing its job but the sideeffects are not worth it"

J4bz August 21, 2015