User Reviews for Mirena

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 766 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Texas87 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had the Mirena put in about 6 weeks after I had my daughter. I had no problems with the procedure. I did however have some pretty heavy periods for a few months after. I kept it in for 5 years and about 7 months ago, I got my second Mirena placed in. Again, no issues with the procedure. I have not had any issues with it so far and I'm in my 6th year of having the Mirena. I recommend it for sure!

December 23, 2012 5:17 PM

Review by Ms. Marinez:

For Birth Control: I'm 24 yrs old. I got the Mirena after giving birth to my daughter who is now almost 3 yrs old. My husband and I used to have a great sex life but it all ended after getting this birth control. Mirena is very effective preventing pregnancies however this is the side effect that I've experienced.

December 17, 2012 1:31 AM

Review by KODAWG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena when I was 18 just over a year ago! I got it because I was in a relationship and I knew I was not ready to take the risk of getting pregnant. My boyfriend was getting ready to join the Military and I was getting ready for work & college. When I was getting my Mirena inserted it hurt a little & after that I had cramping. (So make sure you take ibuprofen or Advil. They will probably offer it to you. If not ask!. I was never put on any other birth control and I love it. The first 4 months were pretty bad. I had my period on & off & a lot of cramping. Nothing some Advil couldn't fix. The reason I got Mirena is because I've seen a lot of my friends get pregnant & also my parents were teen moms. I know I am not ready to be a mother yet.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2012 2:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I had it put in about a month or so ago and I have not had any problems with it. There has been some mild spotting maybe 2 times a week and only in the morning and it only lasts for about an hour. I have an increased libido, and it is nice to not have to remember to take a pill every single night. I work at an OBGYN clinic as a medical assistant and I would say that it is one of our top birth controls prescribed. We put a Mirena in our patients at least 2 times a week. I love it. It is amazing.

December 11, 2012 4:28 PM

Review by mrs.tackett88:

For Birth Control: I don't have anything bad to really say about Mirena, I don't have periods I don't have mood swings or any type of side effects when it was first put in I only lightly cramped that day and that was it. The only thing that I have had an issue with that most women wouldn't mind is I have lost weight. So far I have lost 27 pounds I have had it in for 10 months now and went from a size 12 to a size 2.

December 7, 2012 12:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I just went to my doctor and had my second Mirena put in. The last five years of having Mirena has been good. I still had my periods, but very light and only lasting a few days. My sex life was great and I didn't get pregnant. Also, I'm 32 and have two kids. I decided because Mirena works for me to keep on continuing it. The removal of the old one and placement of the new one was a little painful, but after an hour I felt great. I'm looking forward to the next five years.

December 7, 2012 1:11 AM

Review by rachel4358 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just had my Mirena inserted today, I wanted to get a positive review about the insertion out there. I'm 21 & have been on Loestrin Fe for the past 5 months, & Sprintec for a year & a half before that. I have never had children or been pregnant. They prescribed me Misoprostal to take the night before to open up my cervix & I took 800mg Ibuprofen half an hour before the appointment. First she measured my cervix & then inserted the Mirena. Both felt like bad period cramps, more uncomfortable than painful. I've had mild cramps throughout the day, nothing Ibuprofen can't fix. I have no idea if it will work or how my body will take it, but the insertion went smoothly.

December 6, 2012 7:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I am 20, and have no children, but I had it inserted about a year and a half ago now. The insertion process was quite painful, and I had cramps the rest of the day. But since then, I have not had a period, or even any spotting. The only down side is that I have gained about 25 lbs, but with some strict dieting the weight is starting to come off slowly. Overall, I love it!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2012 2:25 PM

For Birth Control: Personally, I feel that the insertion is more about the anticipation. It definitely hurts, but it's really really not that bad..it is over so quick! I've had it for a month now and have had a period for the last 2.5 weeks (it started out as spotting first). Cramps almost every day, but they are going away. I am confident this will pass. I will say I was really moody the first week (not sure if that was from feeling achy/anxious about it). No weight gain. No skin changes. Still have my sex drive. No pain during sex. Overall really happy (I haven't had kids!).

December 3, 2012 7:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Absolutely wonderful experience with my Mirenas - I'm now on number two! No periods, no mood swings, no lethargy, I just feel in great health. If you are wondering if the Mirena is for you, I recommend trying it. It seriously changed my life - I now *have* a life rather than being hostage to my hormones!

December 2, 2012 12:42 PM

Review by Alejandra B.:

For Birth Control: After giving birth I was looking for a birth control that would let me breast feed without any problems, my OB suggested Mirena which made me a bit nervous because of the mix reviews I read. Finally I decided to get it, the insertion was not painful at all ( maybe because I had just giving birth) I did feel a little bit of cramping that day and the following, but nothing major. I've had it for three months now and I have not had any side effects. My period is very light now, no weight gain, headache or mood swings and most important no acne, that I have had problems with in the past. I am very happy with Mirena so far, I hope this helps.

November 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by ProsMii (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Hello everyone! I just want to share some experience with the use of Mirena. I have had it for almost 6 months. I was recommended by my healthcare provider of this option since it is safe and suit with my situation. I am 27 years old now and have no kids. In the process of putting it in, it was very painful since I have never had kids, so my cervix is not as wide as ones who did. I had bad cramps for about a week and period for almost a month. Since then, I have some spotting as well as cramps. The cramp is not as bad as I used to have when I was on period. I don't think I have other side effects such as acne or weight gain. I recommend it to you. To me, it is more of psychological fix! Worry free!

November 29, 2012 12:20 AM

For Birth Control: I didn't know anything about Mirena except that it was a little T-shaped piece of plastic that lasts for 5 years. So I chose to get it. I've had slight occasional cramping and rare bleeding that's very light and only lasts a few hours when it does occur. I've had it in for about 2 1/2 years. The only scary thing is reading the horror stories all these women have about it. I have had no problems since it's insertion aside from terrible cramping for about a half hour while my cervix adjusted to it once it was put in. I know that as long as nothing bad ends up happening that I'll be having it replaced once my 5 years is up. I love Mirena.

November 28, 2012 7:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have had my Mirena for almost 5 years now and I have enjoyed a significantly lighter flow, continued regularity with no exception. It has changed my life! Pre-Mirena would have me feeling nervous to go out in public during my cycle as at some times, my flow would be unmanageable. I am now premenopausal and considering another one for the next five years

November 23, 2012 3:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Thank you for these reviews. Finally I realize that I am not crazy. I have had the Mirena for almost two years. Insertion was almost painless and at first everything was wonderful. Slowly I have noticed awful side effects. Mood swings, hot flashes, panic attacks, left arm swollen, insomnia, and too many more to count. I have been to the hospital on four separate occasions thinking I was having a heart attack, turns out it is stress from all the other health problems. I am having this removed. I hope everything returns to normal soon.

November 15, 2012 8:23 PM

For Birth Control: We ladies have to remember that all our bodies compositions are different. I will have to rate this a 10 because it is doing its job. I got it placed no later than 2 months ago and I am no longer bleeding. I was spotting for the entire time from placement until up until a week ago. The draw backs are that my partner can feel the strings and he says they stick him and since I have stopped bleeding I have had symptoms of pregnancy. I guess its my body reacting to no period. I have been sleeping none stop, back pain, head aches from being tired all the time and hungry pains. I don't want to have any more children so I think I will get my tubes tied.

November 13, 2012 11:55 PM

Review by amyb6114 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I am on my 4th year with Mirena and it has been great. The original procedure was not painful, a little uncomfortable but nothing major. Slight cramping after the procedure. No monthly cramps, it took a while before they became almost non-existent (maybe 1 year), no mood swings. I am happy with mine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2012 4:52 PM

Review by SRYNITY (taken for 10 years or more):

For Birth Control: I am a 41yr old mother of 3 (25,20&10). I am now in the last month of my 2nd Mirena. I absolutely love it!! The minimal issues that I've had aren't enough to stop me from getting #3!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2012 7:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for 6 years now and I love it! I recently had to have my first one removed and another one put in place. I was so nervous to have it removed because with the first one it was pretty uncomfortable and I cramped up a little. The only side effect I have had was cramping the first few months when I had the first one placed. I have been cycle free for several years now and NO babies! It has been the best form of semi-permanent birth control and I will never chose a different birth control again. Its easy, insurance covers it and it can be placed in your regular doctors office! Beware that there will be some bleeding and cramping after its placed because they have to open your cervix. LOVE MIRENA!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2012 11:29 PM

Review by Krissie 1611 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena after my Son was born. While I was using the Mirena I had no periods at all for the five years. Now I have my tubes tied, my periods are coming back as bad as they were before I had kids. Sometimes I can't even move the first day of my period...So my Doc. told me I can go back and get the Mirena put back in! I go next week for this and I can't wait! I hope it goes as smoothly as it did the first time I had it, never had any problems except maybe weight gain but I don't know if it was due to the birth control or not.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2012 2:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got the mirena as soon as I was able after having my second child. I'm 23 and I have a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old and the insertion wasn't too bad probably from just having a baby. I felt awesome when I went home. I wasn't bleeding or anything till I woke up the next day and had a very heavy period. I haven't stopped having a period since that day. My period fluctuated in intensity and I'm fatigued all the time even when I haven't done anything. I can feel it and I'm not talking about the strings.

November 7, 2012 12:42 AM

Review by LoveMy3littleCrazies (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted 6 weeks after giving birth to my 3rd baby in August 2011 (I had also had it for a year after the birth of my 2nd baby). Inserting the Mirena has never been a painful experience in either time I had it put in, maybe because I had it put in after childbirth. I'm not sure.. But I spotted off and on for 6 months (same as the other time) then my periods stopped completely, for 8 months! I had no side effects for my first year, which was wonderful... Until OCT 2012. I was spotting a little heavy for 2 weeks. I started having cramps, backaches, nausea, headaches... I felt like I was pregnant (which happened the first time I was on Mirena). I was too uncomfortable, and had it removed today by the obgyn. Not using this method again.

November 5, 2012 10:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Uncomfortable during insertion but only lasted 5 minutes. Took Advil for the next 24 hours for mild cramping. My period ended 2 days later and now I feel great. I'm really excited about light periods and minor cramps. I used to suffer from heavy bleeding and cramps that felt like a kick in the gut. My boyfriend is so happy to not have this huge interruption in our sex life. I was on the pill till I turned 40 and had no problems. I do notice slight mood swings and sleep heavier. But it is so much better than giving over a week of my life each month to a dreadful period.

November 3, 2012 5:53 PM

For Birth Control: I've had the Mirena for a few months. The insertion wasn't uncomfortable at all. However, at first I bled for 3 months straight after insertion then one day it just stopped. Then I got a light period for a week and a half the following months. I now have acne that I've never had, the menstrual cycle lasts longer then it normally did, and I've gained weight.

November 2, 2012 12:48 PM

Review by Sandwiches (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for 2 years now, and its one of the best birth control methods. I get more acne than I used to but its worth knowing that I'm unlikely to become pregnant. Over the time I've had it there has only been one bad experience over all. It was from the Mirena moving, and it hurt. Overall I would recommend the Mirena but not to anyone who is a teenager.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate