Pill Identifier App

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 784 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Anlovekory (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena for one year and 2 months and finally call my OB to remove it yesterday. It works great if you don't want to get pregnant. And it doesn't affect my sex drive at all. But began having few cramps after I work out and break out a lot, that I can't tolerate any anymore. I'm on pills right now. My OB told me that pills will clear my acne. So hopefully it does.

February 12, 2013 2:51 PM

Review by monique23111:

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena about a year and 1/2 ago, and everything started out great. I had a couple periods and then they stopped, which was nice! The only downside was at about a year in I started to get very depressed and have anxiety attacks. They just came out of nowhere. So I got the Mirena taken out about a month ago and the symptoms have gone.

February 11, 2013 10:55 AM

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena in for the full 5 years. I LOVED it. It did what it was supposed to. I never had one scare or anything. After about a year of having it my periods stop completely.

February 7, 2013 7:48 AM

Review by Nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have always had really heavy periods and when I was in high school I thought I was normal even though I was changing a super tampon every hour. Turns out high school girls exaggerate about their symptoms. I went onto the pill when I was 18 to deal with the bleeding and upset guts. It helped a little but I still got upset guts and would bleed for a full 7 days (still using those super tampons). I have had the Mirena for 1&1/2 months Granted I have only had one period since its been put in but it was a grand total of three days and I barely needed a panty liner for it. I had no upset guts. The only thing is if I have too much sugar (chocolate bar and a pop at the same time) I will get really bad gas pains. So I guess I just won't eat that much sugar anymore.

February 5, 2013 1:59 PM

Review by Tifft (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena put in in 2008. Its been in ever since. When I first got it I spotted for the first 6 months pretty heavily, but I expected that. Then the heavy turned light. About a year and a half later my period stopped completely. Once or twice a year since then I spotted for about a day, but it was hardly a big deal. So far so good.

January 31, 2013 2:12 AM

Review by Very happy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I used to be on birth control pills as well the shot but I can honestly say by far Mirena has been the best. I've had it for almost 11 months, I have not had any complications only down part about it would be the cramping in the begging but it goes away after a while. I didn't gain weight or got mood swings nor did my sex drive go down. I love this new birth control method I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. If you have heavy periods just like I do it reduces them after a couple of months you start spotting & your period only last a couple of days compare to 8 days & no you can not feel anything nor can your partner feel anything.

January 31, 2013 12:21 AM

Review by Can't Handle it:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had the Mirena inserted 4 months ago. They say that the bleeding is abnormal in the first six months. But really bleeding for an entire 4 months with just a few days of no bleeding is ridiculous. I am so tired of wearing pads and having to worry about the bleeding. It puts a hamper on a lot of things. The bleeding isn't heavy but it is enough to have to wear a pad constantly. I hope when the 6 months mark hits this will clear up a little more. The pain not a problem. I had three kids and no problem with the pain. It is the bleeding the constant bleeding that gets on my last nerve. I will let it roll until the six month mark and hope for a change.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by Cookie32:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena for a year. Insertion was a small pinch and not bad at all. I spotted the whole time I had it in, experienced more headaches, lower back aches and cramping. The spotting wasn't really a lot but I always had to wear a liner. My sex drive was low and I would get panic attacks and have horrible mood swings. I also gained like 15 lbs. I had it taken out today so I am hoping I feel better. My husband is happy I am getting it out, he said I just wasn't the same with it.

January 29, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Ak r l:

For Birth Control: I just want to let other women know that with 800mg ibuprofen prior, my insertion was no big deal. Not much worse than a Pap smear! I was really nervous but it went fine. I only just got it so I can't evaluate the long term yet but so far so good.

January 27, 2013 3:11 AM

Review by Missydreamcatcher:

For Birth Control: 19, never had kids, been with one partner my entire life, I know everyone's experiences= different but reading posts none sound much like my experience. I've never had a device inserted except for Implanon in the arm which was a breeze, but getting Mirena was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. I almost fainted while leaving, the entire day I had severe cramping. I was going to remove it, but went to ER an got pain meds instead. I had spotting the 1st day, but that's it. I've had it 2 weeks now and I still have the cramping, some days worse then others I really hope it stops. Breasts hurt. Other then that everything else is fine.

January 26, 2013 6:09 PM

Review by Dajah (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I'm 19 with 2 kids I decided to get the Mirena because I didn't want anymore children. Insertion was just a little pinch and cramping for a whole day. Here I am now 6 months later and very much satisfied. After insertion I had my period for 3 weeks straight. Now I spot every now and then but not very much. I'm happy with my decision to get the Mirena and once the 5 years are up I do want another one!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2013 11:23 AM

Review by Not so happy:

For Birth Control: I am 56 and had the Mirena inserted 4 years ago because I'd had heavy continuous bleeding for months. It was Mirena or surgery. The insertion was extremely painful, but the bleeding stopped almost completely within a couple of weeks. I had lots of problems with the strings "stabbing" me in the vagina for almost the entire first year. I finally went to a different doctor who trimmed about 3&1/2 inches of string. Haven't had any problem since. I have not enjoyed sex since it was inserted, I lost a lot of hair, gained 20 pounds within the first six months, and have had to take anti depressants daily. I never had problems with depression before. But hey - no more bleeding.

January 18, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by KayG1295:

For Birth Control: Had the 5 year Mirena put in two weeks ago. The procedure took 10 minutes at max and was as simple as a pap smear. In totality, I probably experienced 10 seconds of pain from start to finish. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour prior to the procedure and did not experience cramping of any sort afterwards. I think the ibuprofen made a difference because my doctor said that patients usually experience discomfort. I have a retroverted uterus and it didn't make the procedure any more difficult than it was. Haven't experience any side effects besides some minor spotting. Would definitely recommend.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2013 11:46 AM

For Birth Control: I love my Mirena. I'm due in February to take it out because my 5 years are up. It did not bother me at all to get it inserted. It was pretty easy, I had minor cramps after. I got it because I had gotten pregnant at 16 and had my daughter at 17. I got it because I knew my boyfriend and I were not ready for another child. On top of that from the moment I got my period it was hell. I got my period a month after insertion and ever since then it's been a smooth ride. I haven't had a period since and definitely have not gotten pregnant again. I guess its true when they say everybody takes differently to it. So come February I plan on getting it again for another 5 years. I'm one happy customer.

January 14, 2013 4:11 PM

Review by Mirena user:

For Birth Control: Hello everyone, I have had my Mirena for 5 weeks now and I guess everyone's body responds to medication differently. Mine was inserted due to heavy bleeding and removal of a polyp within my uterus that had caused even more heavy PROLONGED bleeding. I have had 3 children so I felt no pain during insertion but mild cramping after insertion that lasted the rest of the evening that I cured with Aleve. 3 days after insertion I begin to have mild spotting that only required the use of a panty liner but quickly turned into heavy bleeding that lasted 2 weeks then all of sudden stopped as quickly as it came. I am happy to say no problem since, no side effects, would recommend Mirena to my friends & family. I will do it all over again.

January 5, 2013 3:37 PM

Review by I love my Mirena!:

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena 8 weeks after having my second child, at 24 years old. Having it placed was not bad; no cramping or bleeding, and my periods stopped completely. Since the age of 13, my periods were agonizing; migraines, vomiting, diarrhea, back & leg cramps & was going through tampons, etc., like crazy! So, just the fact that Mirena eliminated them for me was a miracle in itself. I also happen to have always had a problem gaining weight; though it wasn't a huge change, I gained 20 lbs after the first 3 years of getting the Mirena! I also noticed my acne disappeared, my hair started growing faster and thicker and I went up a full breast size! If there ever was a completely satisfied customer, it'd be me!

January 4, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by Tara Renee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I thought I'd throw a positive review out there. I've read so many negative ones. I'm 19 years old. I've never had children, so getting it put in wasn't very pleasant, but not terrible. I got the Mirena because I was bleeding for almost a year straight, very heavily. The only negative side-effects I've had so far are bloating, cramps, and moodiness, but they went away after a week or so. I've had no weight gain whatsoever. I've actually lost a few pounds...Yay! My sex drive has actually gone nuts (in a good way), and my periods have stopped! That's the main thing I'm happy about. I was tired of bleeding all the time. I'd recommend the Mirena to anyone.

January 1, 2013 2:14 AM

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for over four years now its due to come out August 2013 and I have had a lot of downs than I do up's from it. I have had longer periods actually, they have lasted up to 14 days I have experience some bloating not much though and my sex drive is low. The most irritating thing would be my pelvic pains I have on and off from it. The one good thing I can say about it is very simply procedure and once in you don't have to worry about taking a pill every day.

December 26, 2012 2:22 PM

Review by Texas87 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had the Mirena put in about 6 weeks after I had my daughter. I had no problems with the procedure. I did however have some pretty heavy periods for a few months after. I kept it in for 5 years and about 7 months ago, I got my second Mirena placed in. Again, no issues with the procedure. I have not had any issues with it so far and I'm in my 6th year of having the Mirena. I recommend it for sure!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2012 5:17 PM

Review by Ms. Marinez:

For Birth Control: I'm 24 yrs old. I got the Mirena after giving birth to my daughter who is now almost 3 yrs old. My husband and I used to have a great sex life but it all ended after getting this birth control. Mirena is very effective preventing pregnancies however this is the side effect that I've experienced.

December 17, 2012 1:31 AM

Review by KODAWG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena when I was 18 just over a year ago! I got it because I was in a relationship and I knew I was not ready to take the risk of getting pregnant. My boyfriend was getting ready to join the Military and I was getting ready for work & college. When I was getting my Mirena inserted it hurt a little & after that I had cramping. (So make sure you take ibuprofen or Advil. They will probably offer it to you. If not ask!. I was never put on any other birth control and I love it. The first 4 months were pretty bad. I had my period on & off & a lot of cramping. Nothing some Advil couldn't fix. The reason I got Mirena is because I've seen a lot of my friends get pregnant & also my parents were teen moms. I know I am not ready to be a mother yet.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2012 2:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I had it put in about a month or so ago and I have not had any problems with it. There has been some mild spotting maybe 2 times a week and only in the morning and it only lasts for about an hour. I have an increased libido, and it is nice to not have to remember to take a pill every single night. I work at an OBGYN clinic as a medical assistant and I would say that it is one of our top birth controls prescribed. We put a Mirena in our patients at least 2 times a week. I love it. It is amazing.

December 11, 2012 4:28 PM

Review by mrs.tackett88:

For Birth Control: I don't have anything bad to really say about Mirena, I don't have periods I don't have mood swings or any type of side effects when it was first put in I only lightly cramped that day and that was it. The only thing that I have had an issue with that most women wouldn't mind is I have lost weight. So far I have lost 27 pounds I have had it in for 10 months now and went from a size 12 to a size 2.

December 7, 2012 12:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I just went to my doctor and had my second Mirena put in. The last five years of having Mirena has been good. I still had my periods, but very light and only lasting a few days. My sex life was great and I didn't get pregnant. Also, I'm 32 and have two kids. I decided because Mirena works for me to keep on continuing it. The removal of the old one and placement of the new one was a little painful, but after an hour I felt great. I'm looking forward to the next five years.

December 7, 2012 1:11 AM

Review by rachel4358 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just had my Mirena inserted today, I wanted to get a positive review about the insertion out there. I'm 21 & have been on Loestrin Fe for the past 5 months, & Sprintec for a year & a half before that. I have never had children or been pregnant. They prescribed me Misoprostal to take the night before to open up my cervix & I took 800mg Ibuprofen half an hour before the appointment. First she measured my cervix & then inserted the Mirena. Both felt like bad period cramps, more uncomfortable than painful. I've had mild cramps throughout the day, nothing Ibuprofen can't fix. I have no idea if it will work or how my body will take it, but the insertion went smoothly.

December 6, 2012 7:41 PM