User Reviews for Mirena

Birth Control 673 reviews 222 medications

7.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 723 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 35 with a 18 and 15yr old girls. I'm a single mom so having any more kids was not in my plans. I've had the Mirena for 3yrs now and I love it. Maintain my weight a little bloating ever now and then. What I love the most is not having to remember to take pills, bad cramps, and buying tampons or pads especially with a teenager in the house. Every woman is different but most of my friends have this and no complaints. Good luck everyone.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 2, 2012 10:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I recently had a baby and thought I would try the Mirena. Insertion wasn't bad at all, a little pressure. Since having it I've been feeling GREAT! I had the 1 day of light bleeding after insertion and light cramping. But otherwise nothing expect a day on very light spotting. Since then, nothing! I would recommend this for sure. Not having a period or cramping has been awesome!

October 1, 2012 9:14 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Mirena put in about a year ago and have recently had it removed! It almost caused a divorce. I had mood swings, depression, acne, tired but couldn't sleep. I also had ovarian cysts that had me in the emergency room. I felt like I was pregnant. I kept feeling flutters like a baby. I have now seen other women felt that way too. I removed it at home. I just pulled the strings and it popped out. No pain or bleeding. I have had it out for about a week now and feel fabulous!!

September 29, 2012 8:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just had my first child and she is a blessing but I am not wanting a second child for awhile. My doctor recommended this to me and I was all for it. Talked to her and two other doctors about side effects and there will be no weight gain, slight periods if any and can stay in for up to five years. Not recommended if wanting a child within a year. My initial experience was a little nauseous feeling (that came and went for a couple days), which was to be expected with the hormone change and honestly it was a little painful but I had to have a c-section. I would highly recommend this.

September 29, 2012 8:24 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I received Mirena at 8 weeks post, October 2011. I just had it removed a week ago. I was not bleeding when I had it in because I was nursing, I knew that I WOULD have some spotting with the Mirena for a few weeks, not a big deal. Well, I went to the doctor 6 months post insertion, my doctor had quit the practice so I had to see a different one, expressed my concerns about still spotting, I was spotting about 25 days a month, and she wouldn't take it out, said it should stop. IT WAS HORRIBLE! I spotted the entire time, I had absolutely NO libido, my poor husband. I went back to my regular doctor and he removed it last week, and I FEEL GREAT! And my sex drive is back fast and furious!!

September 28, 2012 10:42 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for about 4 and a half years now I got it at my 6 week appointment after my son was born. I have always been blessed with super light cycles lasting maybe 3 days with no cramping, bloating things of that nature and even now I don't have one at all just a little spotting randomly. My weight has been cool and my skin, I'm a hairstylist so my hair is in great condition. I had 2 of my 3 sisters had the Mirena. One made hers come out and got pregnant and the other had to take hers out due to thyroid issues being a heavy smoker and just poor health. I have not got pregnant so I recommend it.

September 28, 2012 1:06 AM
Review by Ashley Baugh (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted for the second time. I had the first one removed because we wanted another baby and afterwards I had a new one inserted. I have absolutely no complaints and I would recommend this birth control to everyone. I haven't had any periods since it was inserted and the procedure was painless. I no longer get cramps or periods. We still use condoms, but I was told they weren't necessary. I am a full supporter of Mirena and would use it over and over.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2012 1:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Mood swings, Headaches, hair loss, acne, bad weight gain. Had Mirena for four years removed it and am feeling great.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2012 4:46 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been using Mirena for about a 1 yr now and I've been waiting for the awful symptoms to go away but they have not. Acne, tired, bloated, nausea, cramping, headaches. I've also gained a lot of weight I thought the symptoms would go away but they haven't so I'm seriously thinking of having it removed. Everyone's body is different and I am sad it didn't work for me. I'm thinking about just getting a tubal. I already have two little boys and I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids.

September 22, 2012 10:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just got the Mirena and I love it already. I experienced a tiny pinch during insertion. not too painful at all, and no cramping like my dr. said I would experience. Just a little bleeding the first day and none since then. Medicaid covered the cost, and now I don't have to worry about contraception and I love it

September 18, 2012 3:21 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Got it this morning. I'm 21 years old and have no children. Beforehand I took two doses of Cytotec to relax the cervix and 800 mg of ibuprofen. The insertion was only mildly uncomfortable. The most painful part was measuring the cervix, which was a 3/10 on the pain scale at most. I did get a bit clammy during the measurement, but was completely fine after the procedure was finished. I even drove myself home and went to school only an hour later. I got it right before my period was scheduled to begin. I have had no cramping, no soreness or discomfort. Interested to see if I will see any side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 18, 2012 3:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had an easy insertion experience, have not yet experienced a negative side effect caused by Mirena, and am overall pleased with this birth control method.

September 14, 2012 3:57 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 22 years old, had been on birth control (Beyaz) for 5.5 years. Had trouble with mood swings, weight gain, and bad acne through the pill... and continued to have heavy and irregular spotting between periods, with the pill. My sister got Mirena and said it changed her life (for the better) So I then got the Mirena too. It was a very fast procedure, painful but nothing that you cannot handle by breathing through your nose, and out of your mouth. It went smoothly and I was very crampy afterwards, but 2 hours later I was totally normal. No spotting, or cramping since the input. No period, my acne has cleared up, I've got more energy throughout the day, and I'm very pleased with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2012 8:59 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've had Mirena for about six months now. I had it inserted six weeks after I had my baby and it was not painful at all. The doctor explained I would have a light period the majority of the month for the first three months and then it would go to normal. I had my period three weeks out of the month very very light for approx four months. Yes it was annoying. The past two months it went back to normal. I eat clean and exercise daily I have lost about 20lbs. I do get bad cramping once in awhile in that region especially if I lay in certain positions for a long period of time. But that could just be post pregnancy. I'm overall a happy calm person and my mood hasn't changed one bit since I started. Overall I recommend Mirena.

September 12, 2012 8:46 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I haven't had my Mirena for as long as everyone else, but I have to say that so far everything is great! I am 22 with no kids, but I'm moving in with my long term boyfriend soon and don't want to have to constantly worry about being pregnant. I won't lie, insertion for me was horrible. The pain was pretty bad, but went away almost instantly after removal of all of the other stuff. I felt pretty bad for the rest of the day and cramped for the next few with a bit of VERY light spotting, but I haven't had any spotting in the last week and just have the occasional cramp. I have felt for the strings and it kinda freaks me out that I can feel them, but my boyfriend hasn't mentioned being able to feel them. All in all, it's much better than the pill that I was on and I'm happy with my Mirena so far!

September 11, 2012 11:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: The insertion experience was probably the most painful thing I have ever had to go through, and I'm not going to lie about it. I'm an 18 year old who has never had a child, been pregnant or any of the above so my cervix has never been messed with until this moment, which made the procedure ever worse. But, now that it's been about 6 months I can say it was completely worth the experience.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 10, 2012 9:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had Mirena placed about 4 1/2 months ago, and have had nothing but problems since! Having it placed was fairly painful but not too bad. I had cramping for a few hours after and that was it. About a month after having it placed I started having terrible cramps, mood swings, low sex drive, very dry during sex, I've gained about 30 pounds since I got it. The only thing it improved is my period. My period usually lasts about 3 or 4 days and is very light, but that doesn't make up for the horrible cramps. I am having the Mirena taken out this week.

September 9, 2012 2:05 PM
Review by Laurenel (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 22. This thing HAS helped my horribly heavy, painful periods. But my body is so sensitive to this. I have broken out in horrible cystic acne on my chin (derm said this commonly causes acne) and cheeks, and my JOINTS ache, I can't sleep, I'm constipated, I'm sweating worse than ever & having hot flashes when it's 60 degrees. So, beware, for highly body-sensitive people, this may not be worth it. I am getting it removed. BUT IT DID HELP MY PERIODS!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 7, 2012 12:49 PM
Review by MsLovelyLady22: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 22 years old and just had my first (beautiful) daughter. I decided to get Mirena when I went in for my 6 week postpartum appointment. I read all the reviews over the product about how horrible it was and how painful the insertion was. I was a little nervous but I knew this was the right birth control for me. I had NO pain what so ever when my OB put it in. It was so easy! I had very light spotting the first hour or so afterwards but none since then! I'm only on day 2 so I'll do a follow up in about 6 months. But as of right now, I'll recommend it!

September 6, 2012 11:46 AM
Review by MandyJ12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had Mirena placed in February 2012 at my 7 week check up following the birth of my daughter. I did have some side effects (fatigue, dizziness, cramps, spotting) the first 2 days after having Mirena inserted but by day 3 I felt 100% better. 7 months later and I love it! I have not had a single period since insertion. During the week that my period is normally due I feel slightly bloated and more hungry then usual but it sure beats 10 - 12 days of heavy bleeding, severe cramps, nausea and vomiting. I'm leaving Mirena in place until I am ready to become pregnant again, possibly in another year or so. After baby #2 is born I will definitely have Mirena inserted again!

September 3, 2012 10:15 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have had the Mirena only for a month however so far so good. The insertions was not as painful as I expected maybe because my OB inserted it while on my period. He stated for easy insertion. Afterwards little cramping but nothing major. The only downfall is its only been a month and I have been bleeding often. First week no spotting but second week spotting then third week spotting but little more. I don't think its my period just yet as its a week before but I hate the in between bleeding.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 2, 2012 12:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have two boys they are 2 years and 15 days apart. The day I got the Mirena inserted there was some pain with the procedure but by the end of the day it was gone. I have been bleeding heavy and light since and its been 2 1/2 weeks now. I have noticed hair loss, increase in appetite, and mood swings.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2012 10:11 AM
Review by jenwin12 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I was very excited to try Mirena. I experienced the normal, cramping and extreme discomfort and pain immediately after placement. My cramping and pain lasted longer than normal. Roughly 15 days after placement, I became intolerable. It was the worst PMS I can recall ever having. I wasn't that moody when I was pregnant. Then my period came and it was the longest, most painful period I have ever had. I went from having a 3-4 day period with one day of cramping to a week and a half period with 5-6 days of cramping. Next month, same thing. Needless to say, this is coming out.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2012 8:56 AM
Review by Jenn1111 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have had my Mirena for 3.5 years now, and I think it's wonderful. I got it when I was 18 years old - I am not a candidate for most other forms of birth control because of my migraine headaches, so Mirena seemed like a good solution. For insertion, my gynecologist numbed my cervix with an injection which helped buffer some of the pain. I experienced significant cramping for a few hours after it was put in, but a heat pad and a day of rest was enough to keep it very bearable. Since then my periods have become progressively lighter and shorter (now they only last for one day, and bleeding is so light that I rarely use pads or tampons), and I never get cramps. Bottom line = I love it. Talk to your gynecologist!

August 26, 2012 2:34 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm 48 years old and had the Mirena for 4 years now, it totally stopped my period and I was very pleased due to heavy bleeding. I have had dizziness, weight gain, and lots of acne, hair loss etc. I'm getting it removed a year early. It took a toll on my body, but everybody is effected in different ways.

August 24, 2012 2:04 AM