User Reviews for Mirena (Page 8)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1109 reviews 275 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 223 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1332 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I got mine October 18th 2014, six weeks after giving birth. The first few months were hell. Insertion didn't hurt but I was still taking Hydrocodones from my episiotomy so that's probably why. I bled for 4 months straight. Then when my periods came back they lasted two weeks. I lost so much weight, and it wasn't good because I'm underweight. I became so moody and just mean. This is my first birth control, and it could be my body just not reacting wel to hormones. However, a year later and my periods are now 2-3 days and barely anything. I'm happier now and I'm glad I didn't take it out. Everyone's body is different."

Stefstef123 November 2, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 43 years old. I have had three kids and am in Premenopause. I went from regular two and a half days period to a year and a half or irregular, heavy, cramping periods. I had the mirena inserted a month ago. I had to have a byopsy done. I had two doctors holding me down because there was no numbing. I almost passed out from the pain. After recovering I slightly bled for a couple of days. A lot of cramping for a week after. A month later I cramped severely for a week and then started my period. I'm on day six. I'm exhausted more often, have trouble remembering things and have a hard time concentrating. I'm already on anti depressants which is probably a good thing. I'm willing to give this longer hoping I'll stop soon."

Anonymous October 31, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had Mirena inserted in 10/7/15 for heavy vaginal bleeding. I am 50 have had 2 children and have to say the insertion was painful. Since insertion I have been bleeding non stop along with heavy cramping and low back pain. The side effects have been horrible for me.. I have had major mood swings, anxiety, decreased appetite and no desire for sex whatsoever. I have recently been experiencing a stabbing pain in my right side which leaves me doubled over in pain for a short time. I had an ultrasound to make sure the Mirena did not move and was causing this pain to occur. Thankfully all results came back ok.. I have an appointment on 11/3 to have it checked but I am going to ask the doctor to remove it at that time.. not worth it to me."

DeedeeT October 30, 2015

For Birth Control "Ok first I will start with the cons. The insertion hurt. A lot. I would say it was a 7-8 on the pain scale. But it was way faster than I expected it to be. Afterwards, I felt like I had bad period cramps. I took ibuprofen and applied a heating pad, and within a few hours the pain had subsided. Now for the good parts. My period was somewhat irregular but light for the first few months. By the third month, my period stopped, and it hasn't returned since. It's SO amazing not having to have a period, and not having to worry about taking a pill, needle, etc., It has literally been worry-free. I definitely recommend trying the Mirena if you don't want kids for several years!"

sdfsdg73 October 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my 3rd child last yr and wanted effective contraception i didn't have to think about. I thought it was so great I recommended it to my sisters. I was very concerned about putting on weight after my third child so definitely asked my doctor if it was a concern my mirena, and she definitely said the risk was minimal. One year on, and i have put on at least 13 kilos after my pregnancy!!!! I also feel quite depressed and emotional. After checking in with my two sisters who had also got miren we realised wed All gained weight since getting the iud. Not happy!"

nitown October 29, 2015

"With in a period of 4 years I have had 2 mirena inserted. First insert was definitely as painful as a full contraction. The benefits I received by the mirena was: My skin condition has calmed, severe cramping had lessened, bleeding wasn't as heavy. After stating this shortly after the first insert I became ill was was diagnosed with a auto immune disease and sero negative rheumatoid arthritis. Even though there is no study or theory base evidence to suggest that the mirena had any cause to kick off this condition, I strongly personally believe that my body's response to both insertion of the mirenas has it tricked into my immune system trying to reject the mirena being a foreign object inside my body. I currently can't take it out"

Mumma B October 29, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Mirena was recommended to me to calm down increasingly 'flooding' periods (more than a year of them) and ease me into menopause. It was inserted early July 2015 - a bit crampy but bearable. I bled almost every day (varying amounts, but more than a panty liner would take most days) until the end of September. Even when flow was very light, I didn't trust it. Sex life suffered due to the mess (but no issues with strings!) I was thrilled to finally have a bleeding free three weeks - but then a period - as heavy and flooding and long (or longer!) as the ones I was trying to get rid of!! First visit post insertion is scheduled for Nov 10 and at this point I'm very disappointed."

NS Girl October 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I got iud in 2008 I never had periods but I had extreme pain on my side for the first 6 months. I dealt with the pain eventually it went away. It hurt just a little bit but not that bad. Once j got it taken out I wasn't getting periodsm. After lots of blood work I was diagnosed with pcos. I can't get periods without taking BC pills I'm now only 24 and don't know if I'll be able to get pregnant. I don't recommend unless you never want kids. Also if you don't get at least 4 periods a year your at a great chance of getting endo cancer. Be careful ladies."

Julie from Washington (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 28, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The insertion was not pleasant but also tolerable. Mine took a while to put in because I am young and haven't had any children. The first day was pretty awful and had bad cramps and bleeding for about two weeks decreasing in frequency and severity as those 2 weeks progressed . I had a few months of irregularity which was normal because that's why I had it put in in the first place. For the past year (almost 2 years) I have been period less! Not one which means no more crippling cramps and constant 28 day on 2 day off periods (yah I'm not kidding) so I would say just get over that few month bump in the road and enjoy the years of period free bliss!"

Mandy1313 October 24, 2015

For Birth Control "WORST EXPERIENCE. After getting the mirena implanted I couldn't even walk ! It was extremely painful to speak , cough , or anything that involved movement ! The process of getting it placed lasted only a minute, but the pain did not end as I intended for it to . I have also had bloating , which I have never experienced this bad ! I do intend on contacting my doctor Monday morning to get it removed immediately!"

Nichollee October 23, 2015

For Birth Control "Every month been bleeding twelve plus days. I've had it for three months and no sign of it stopping. Very bad cramps like stabbing. A lot of chicks like this but I don't think it was worth it at all. Had me more depressed I wanted to get rid of periods that lasted six days now forget it two weeks .... Hate it"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

For Birth Control "It's wonderful I went to get mine put in today! I have to say before I actually did the insertion I was scared to death bc I googled and read reviews! It was nothing like some of theses reviews are! It was very quick maybe a minute! It was a breeze my doctor said okay you going to feel a pinch and it was over! Just slightly cramping during the procedure!"

Victoriakippmo34738 October 23, 2015

For Birth Control "Absolute HELL. From the word go, I had disgusting side effects. I experienced terrible cramps EVERY day for the first 8 months. Then when I thought they had settled down, I suddenly started getting severe pain, which I would have said were as bad as labour contractions. I could not move and felt dizzy and sick when this was happening. My sex drive disappeared entirely. Not to mention, I developed vaginal and urinal infections every time I did have sex. My moods were also crazy. I became severely depressed and suicidal, but also my anger became so extreme that I would smash and break everything and even hit my partner in fits of unexplainable rage. As a result, I had to receive psychological help from doctors. It totally ruined my life!"

Dystopia (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2015

For Birth Control "Horrible!!! Omg i bled for the first 4months nonstop! My iron got so low i was put on iron tablets and had to change my diet! Ive put on almost 5kg since having it in for 7months even though i go to the gym up to 5 days a week and eat very very healthy. Insertion was worse than childbirth and side effects like daily headaches and migraines, massive mood swings, feeling really angry and then sad."

mischarr October 23, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the MIrena IUD inserted three days ago, had it removed today. I'm 60, post menopausal, taking compounded estrogen and progesteron. Due to uterine lining thickening and a polyp, OBGYN did a D&C a few weeks ago, recommended the Mirena IUD to prevent further lining build-up. The insertion was easy. I was told to take 800 mg of ibuprofen 1.5 hours before insertion, felt no pain, very mild cramping after, no bleeding. The first night I felt anxious, kept waking up. The second night I couldn't fall asleep, finally fell asleep around 3am, fitfull sleep. Third night, no sleep until 5am. I'm very sensitive to meds, have the same problem with predensone and anti-histamines."

Inkhorn (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015

For Birth Control "So I got my Mirena inserted exactly 1hr ago. I was nervous & scared from all the negative reviews I had read. I took 800mg Ibuprofen & 2x Panadiene an hour before. I lied down. I relaxed and just breathed. They checked my uterus position. Cleaned me with betadine. Put in the speculum. Put topical anesthetic on my cervix. And I felt a strange cramp feeling deep inside as they inserted the Mirena probe thing. And before I knew it, it was over! That was it. Done! Way less painful than I was expecting! Obviously I haven't had it in long enough for other side effects. But if you're scared about the insertion, be aware that it's not terrible for everyone (I'm sure it is for some). But don't get worried, just relax!"

Christinedreams October 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got the Mirena today. I have had two children both natural births. After reading reviews I was beyond nervous having this done as everyone seems to think this is painful. I can honestly say I didn't really feel a thing during the insertion. Maybe the ibprophin did help but still a lot easier then I thought it would be! 6 hours later and still no pain...light bleeding but I am at the end of my period so no biggie really. I am really hoping this works out for me as I am 33 and do not plan on having anymore children. I have typically never have side effect of any medication except the very minor things...so keeping my fingers crossed. I would definitely suggest getting this done if you just don't feel like being on the pill anymore!!"

Andrea1982 October 21, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena from February 2015, to help with heavy bleeding (but periods were regular). After four weeks I started having unpredictable flooding episodes, with frighteningly huge clots, and quickly became anaemic. After six months the bleeding was if anything worse so I insisted the mirena was removed. Six weeks after removal I am bleeding more often than not, but with less flooding and clotting. It will surely take a while for my system to adjust, to get into cycles again, after being messed with quite so dramatically. If my doctor had indicated that mirena might in some cases make bleeding worse, and become frustratingly unpredictable, I wouldn't have gone ahead."

Ettie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Iv read most the comments and they most complaining about bleeding after getting the mirena however when I go mine in 3 years ago my doc said I WILL bleed for atleast a month or 2 because my body had to get use to a foreign object and it would cramp which I got as he said. After 2 months my bleeding stopped completely and I only spotted once a month if that. Only now after 3 years am I having horrible moods and bleeding. My doc also warned me that after about 18 months my period should start normal again... even though its been more than 18 months im overall happy as I havnt fallen pregnant again so im pretty happy! Mirena isn't for everyone but my body seemed to accept it."

Heather4n0w (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I have used Mirena for over 6 years, I had one reinserted after the 5 years was up. My first was placed not long after having my son, it did not hurt very much. I bled for a few hours and cramped but it went away quickly. The removal and 2nd insertion was only painful for 10 minutes. I have spotted a few times in the last 6 years. No cramps, No mood swings, and best of all I don't get pregnant! I used to have the worst periods, the ones with cramps that had you on the floor. Ever since Mirena I have not experienced anything like that. Its amazing I am very happy I have stuck with it, no regrets."

Care210Bears (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena put in a little over 3 months ago. I'm 24 years old and have no children nor have I ever been pregnant. The procedure to put in the IUD was very painful for me and although it only took 10 minutes it felt like forever. That being said I feel like it would have been better if my doc would have told me that it would hurt worse than just "mild cramping" and I would have taken a better painkiller other than the 200mg of Advil she suggested. That first night was almost unbearable and the next two weeks were not much better. I spot bled for about a week until I got my period which lasted for 13 days. After that however, the cramps stopped and so did my period. I think it was worth the pain at first for the convenience of no pill."

Private Know-it-all (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Mirena put in in January of 2015 and I have an appointment to get it taken out next week. I'm really upset that this didn't work for me. I have always used the pill but after a while I decided to try something new. The insertion was pretty simple and it didn't hurt that much. The cramping was very mild. After a few months I still felt really crampy but I held out hope that it would subside. It never did. I'm a fairly active person; going to the gym at least 4 times per week and I still managed to gain 35 pounds since the insertion. I also would get crippling migraines, mood swings that lead to serious bouts of depression, my sex drive is pretty much nonexistent. Mirena has been extremely effective the side effects were just too much."

Anonymous October 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm 30 just had my 2nd child 4 months ago which is why I'm sure it was easy. Literally had one cramp during insertion. Had it put in yesterday and I'm experiencing NO cramping whatsoever. Am lightly bleeding though so we shall see how long this lasts. Not giving 10 stars bc I'm on only on day 2 so I don't have much experience with it."

Lanbri1323 October 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the IUD 3 weeks ago and I should've known it would be a disaster from the start! After it was inserted I fainted in my doctors office on my way out. This lead to me going to the ER the next day for the concussion I now had. I was super anxious all the time, had sleepless nights, bleed the whole time, and had no appetite. All my symptoms were in line anxiety and depression disorders (which I don't have). Needless to say, it was removed last week and I feel like myself again. My suggestion, if you have a job where you have to be friendly (I'm a teacher) or you are a new mother and need to be sane for your new child, don't try this. I've heard the emotional roller coaster wares off, however I didn't have time to wait!"

Ashley P. October 19, 2015

For Birth Control "My doctor told me that this was the smartest and safest option especially for teens (lower hormone dosage) she even has one herself. She did say the placement would be painful so she prescribed me one 5 mg pill of Valium to take an hour before and told me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen with the Valium. I got there feeling very relaxed and I also think it made the entire process a lot less awkward, usually I would have found both the position in front of the doctor very weird, let alone an assistant she needed to come in halfway through that said "nice to meet you" haha a great time to meet someone. The whole thing took about 10 minutes and really didn't hurt, I give credit to the meds, I got some cramps once they hit my cervix and some after."

Heather19 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2015