User Reviews for Mirena

7.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 756 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Alejandra B.:

For Birth Control: After giving birth I was looking for a birth control that would let me breast feed without any problems, my OB suggested Mirena which made me a bit nervous because of the mix reviews I read. Finally I decided to get it, the insertion was not painful at all ( maybe because I had just giving birth) I did feel a little bit of cramping that day and the following, but nothing major. I've had it for three months now and I have not had any side effects. My period is very light now, no weight gain, headache or mood swings and most important no acne, that I have had problems with in the past. I am very happy with Mirena so far, I hope this helps.

November 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by ProsMii (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Hello everyone! I just want to share some experience with the use of Mirena. I have had it for almost 6 months. I was recommended by my healthcare provider of this option since it is safe and suit with my situation. I am 27 years old now and have no kids. In the process of putting it in, it was very painful since I have never had kids, so my cervix is not as wide as ones who did. I had bad cramps for about a week and period for almost a month. Since then, I have some spotting as well as cramps. The cramp is not as bad as I used to have when I was on period. I don't think I have other side effects such as acne or weight gain. I recommend it to you. To me, it is more of psychological fix! Worry free!

November 29, 2012 12:20 AM

For Birth Control: I didn't know anything about Mirena except that it was a little T-shaped piece of plastic that lasts for 5 years. So I chose to get it. I've had slight occasional cramping and rare bleeding that's very light and only lasts a few hours when it does occur. I've had it in for about 2 1/2 years. The only scary thing is reading the horror stories all these women have about it. I have had no problems since it's insertion aside from terrible cramping for about a half hour while my cervix adjusted to it once it was put in. I know that as long as nothing bad ends up happening that I'll be having it replaced once my 5 years is up. I love Mirena.

November 28, 2012 7:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have had my Mirena for almost 5 years now and I have enjoyed a significantly lighter flow, continued regularity with no exception. It has changed my life! Pre-Mirena would have me feeling nervous to go out in public during my cycle as at some times, my flow would be unmanageable. I am now premenopausal and considering another one for the next five years

November 23, 2012 3:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Thank you for these reviews. Finally I realize that I am not crazy. I have had the Mirena for almost two years. Insertion was almost painless and at first everything was wonderful. Slowly I have noticed awful side effects. Mood swings, hot flashes, panic attacks, left arm swollen, insomnia, and too many more to count. I have been to the hospital on four separate occasions thinking I was having a heart attack, turns out it is stress from all the other health problems. I am having this removed. I hope everything returns to normal soon.

November 15, 2012 8:23 PM

For Birth Control: We ladies have to remember that all our bodies compositions are different. I will have to rate this a 10 because it is doing its job. I got it placed no later than 2 months ago and I am no longer bleeding. I was spotting for the entire time from placement until up until a week ago. The draw backs are that my partner can feel the strings and he says they stick him and since I have stopped bleeding I have had symptoms of pregnancy. I guess its my body reacting to no period. I have been sleeping none stop, back pain, head aches from being tired all the time and hungry pains. I don't want to have any more children so I think I will get my tubes tied.

November 13, 2012 11:55 PM

Review by amyb6114 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I am on my 4th year with Mirena and it has been great. The original procedure was not painful, a little uncomfortable but nothing major. Slight cramping after the procedure. No monthly cramps, it took a while before they became almost non-existent (maybe 1 year), no mood swings. I am happy with mine.

November 12, 2012 4:52 PM

Review by SRYNITY (taken for 10 years or more):

For Birth Control: I am a 41yr old mother of 3 (25,20&10). I am now in the last month of my 2nd Mirena. I absolutely love it!! The minimal issues that I've had aren't enough to stop me from getting #3!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2012 7:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for 6 years now and I love it! I recently had to have my first one removed and another one put in place. I was so nervous to have it removed because with the first one it was pretty uncomfortable and I cramped up a little. The only side effect I have had was cramping the first few months when I had the first one placed. I have been cycle free for several years now and NO babies! It has been the best form of semi-permanent birth control and I will never chose a different birth control again. Its easy, insurance covers it and it can be placed in your regular doctors office! Beware that there will be some bleeding and cramping after its placed because they have to open your cervix. LOVE MIRENA!

November 9, 2012 11:29 PM

Review by Krissie 1611 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena after my Son was born. While I was using the Mirena I had no periods at all for the five years. Now I have my tubes tied, my periods are coming back as bad as they were before I had kids. Sometimes I can't even move the first day of my period...So my Doc. told me I can go back and get the Mirena put back in! I go next week for this and I can't wait! I hope it goes as smoothly as it did the first time I had it, never had any problems except maybe weight gain but I don't know if it was due to the birth control or not.

November 8, 2012 2:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got the mirena as soon as I was able after having my second child. I'm 23 and I have a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old and the insertion wasn't too bad probably from just having a baby. I felt awesome when I went home. I wasn't bleeding or anything till I woke up the next day and had a very heavy period. I haven't stopped having a period since that day. My period fluctuated in intensity and I'm fatigued all the time even when I haven't done anything. I can feel it and I'm not talking about the strings.

November 7, 2012 12:42 AM

Review by LoveMy3littleCrazies (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted 6 weeks after giving birth to my 3rd baby in August 2011 (I had also had it for a year after the birth of my 2nd baby). Inserting the Mirena has never been a painful experience in either time I had it put in, maybe because I had it put in after childbirth. I'm not sure.. But I spotted off and on for 6 months (same as the other time) then my periods stopped completely, for 8 months! I had no side effects for my first year, which was wonderful... Until OCT 2012. I was spotting a little heavy for 2 weeks. I started having cramps, backaches, nausea, headaches... I felt like I was pregnant (which happened the first time I was on Mirena). I was too uncomfortable, and had it removed today by the obgyn. Not using this method again.

November 5, 2012 10:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Uncomfortable during insertion but only lasted 5 minutes. Took Advil for the next 24 hours for mild cramping. My period ended 2 days later and now I feel great. I'm really excited about light periods and minor cramps. I used to suffer from heavy bleeding and cramps that felt like a kick in the gut. My boyfriend is so happy to not have this huge interruption in our sex life. I was on the pill till I turned 40 and had no problems. I do notice slight mood swings and sleep heavier. But it is so much better than giving over a week of my life each month to a dreadful period.

November 3, 2012 5:53 PM

For Birth Control: I've had the Mirena for a few months. The insertion wasn't uncomfortable at all. However, at first I bled for 3 months straight after insertion then one day it just stopped. Then I got a light period for a week and a half the following months. I now have acne that I've never had, the menstrual cycle lasts longer then it normally did, and I've gained weight.

November 2, 2012 12:48 PM

Review by Sandwiches (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for 2 years now, and its one of the best birth control methods. I get more acne than I used to but its worth knowing that I'm unlikely to become pregnant. Over the time I've had it there has only been one bad experience over all. It was from the Mirena moving, and it hurt. Overall I would recommend the Mirena but not to anyone who is a teenager.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2012 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena and I would recommend it. Its convenient and I have not experienced a single issue off the laundry list of complaints that some people have. I suppose my fiance would say he could feel the string, which caused some discomfort at first, but that is no longer an issue.

November 1, 2012 3:05 PM

Review by Sam Chick (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: Very good. Have had it for 5 yrs. This is my renewal year and the replacement went well.

October 31, 2012 1:44 AM

Review by Mirena user:

For Birth Control: I have had it since March 2012, It did not hurt when I had it put in. I have noticed that I have alot of mood swings and I have gained over 25 lbs since I had it put it. I still eat the way that I always have and I cant understand why. I talked to a different Medical Dr, and they said that was one of the side effects of the Mirena. If my DR. had of told me this I would of never had it done.. It has controlled my bleeding alot but I still spot alot through the month.

October 30, 2012 8:22 PM

For Birth Control: I have never had children, so my experience having Mirena inserted was VERY painful. It hurt so bad that I felt sick and wanted to lay in bed and cry all day, but I did not have time to take off from work so I had to go back. I was miserable. I had cramps and spotting for two weeks afterwards. After that I was spotting every two weeks for almost a whole week. After the first couple months I got back to having a period once a month and lots of spotting in between. I also had severe cramps during my period and spotting. I have had it in for going on six months, and the spotting and cramping has gotten much better. My cramps are very minimal, much like they were before Mirena, and my period is very light with no spotting in between.

October 30, 2012 12:44 PM

Review by Luv in my Mirena :):

For Birth Control: After my second child I decided to use the Mirena. I have been using the Mirena since 2005! The insertion was not painful. A little cramping about a day after but that was it. I would occasionally get spotting a few weeks after insertion but nothing heavy. Haven't had a cycle in years. I had the Mirena replaced in 2010 with no problems. The Mirena is a great choice for birth control.

October 29, 2012 10:19 PM

Review by mommyofone457:

For Birth Control: I've had Mirena for about a year didn't have a single period now out of no where I had a period for two weeks and now I'm bleeding so heavily. I have headaches cramping and my acne is breaking out horribly.

October 29, 2012 12:53 AM

For Birth Control: I just had my Mirena removed. I only had it in for about 8 weeks. I was constantly bleeding I was losing so much hair, had really bad cramps and I was always so tired. I lost all desire for sex. And was definitely moody. Around the same time of day I started feeling really sick. I hated it. I called my Dr and told her to get it out. So I went in the next day and got it out! Didn't hurt one bit. I'm having some light bleeding now but I think that's normal. But I feel better then ever!

October 27, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have had mirena for 2 years now, and I can say that its the best birth control. I had minor cramping and bleeding when it was implanted. Nothing major. I love knowing its in there and I don't have to remember to take anything. I have no periods, maybe one really light one every 8 months, I do have breast tenderness and sometimes minor cramps. I plan on having one more child within two years which I will get it taken out. It was a one time cost and nothing monthly. My insurance did cover it so I only paid 35$ co-pay. But I would have paid the full price for sure. Hope this helps!!

October 26, 2012 8:19 PM

For Birth Control: Mirena seemed like it would be a perfect birth control. However, I've only had it for a little over a month and I'm having terrible dreams and the last few days I have had shooting, sharp pains in my groin. I now also have a line from my lower abdomen to my pubic bone. I also can not find/feel my string. I have not had any issues with weight gain or serious acne. The insertion was uncomfortable and I spotted for 3 weeks. I'm so worried it slipped out of place that I will have it removed when I go to the dr. I think this would be a great birth control had I felt confident it was in the right place. Oh also since placement I've had no desire for sex.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2012 10:47 PM

Review by alice54564 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I live in the UK so hooray for the NHS. Anyway, I wanted to write this little review just because most of the time you only hear reviews from people that had a horrible experience! I would just like to say that yes the Mirena hurt when it was put in for like a minute, then I felt a bit sick after and then crampy for the rest of the day, gradually getting better (I've not had childbirth!) but I don't regret having it one bit. My periods have stopped altogether and I don't even need to think about it. I used to get really depressed on the pill for no reason but now I just feel normal. It didn't work some amazing magic and make me lose a load of weight for me or anything like that, it just did it's job, which is awesome.

October 18, 2012 8:55 PM