User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Review Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 351 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Sinusitis

"I have had chronic sinusitus for 30 years. Sometimes 4 per year and we had to do cultures to make sure we got the right bug after have numerous antibiotics failed. I think allergies and maybe viral infections start it off and then it turns into an infection. This medication has worked for me over the last 10 years ,although we have used other drugs to good effect. I have had few side effects except for dizzyiness and some brain fog for a few hours after taking the drug. It works very quickly on my infections but I do worry about side effects. I have been an avid weight lifter and never slowed down while on this med and had no issues with tendons or aches. This time I will take it a little easier and just keep my joints and muscles moving!"

rsilver (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2015

"I am on day 3 of taking this medicine and feel horrible. I haven't slept in 2 nights and don't want to eat. I am calling my doctor in the morning and telling him I will not take anymore of this. I have never felt this bad from a drug before."

dstie May 20, 2015

"I was prescribed Levaquin 500mg 1x/day for chronic sinus infections. On day 8 (of a 10 day prescription), I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Every tendon in my body hurt. Even the tiny ones in my fingers. It took me till the next day to realize it was the Levaquin causing this (no doctor or pharmacist had warned me). I threw out the day 10 pill. This was 3 mths ago. For the first two weeks, the pain got worse. I was unable to walk for a week. After that, it gradually began to subside and I began to be able to walk, albeit very slowly, again. I spent about a month on bed rest. I just saw an ortho yesterday and she is optimistic about my progress. She said it may take about 1 yr for me to heal. I am about 85% better."

Anonymous in GA (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2015

"I started taking this med this morning and after a few hours I began feeling better. No side effects thus far, but very impressed with it's speed."

Anonymous May 8, 2015

"Well it did the job, and then some. It cleared up my sinus infection, plus I had the lovely experience of having severe acne on my back from the drug. I never break-out. Then, a week after I stopped the 10 -day medication, I have a UTI, and vaginal bleeding (in between periods). I think it is insane that medication for a simple sinus infection can leave to several other complications."

TweeterPop April 30, 2015

"I love "Levequin". It's the only antibiotic that cures my sinus infections and I have been put on everything. Some will start to work and then...nope. I feel my sinuses begin to drain within hours after beginning Levequin. I started having sinus infections about 20 years ago and had a stroke 2 months after my sinus surgery (the only thing I got from it) the infections are thought to come from allergies to dust mites and dog dander which are everywhere. I hate though when a new doctor doesn't believe in using such a "strong antibiotic" or that it's necessary. I have failed college courses because of failing to get my "Levequin"."

Lucy Sinus (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

"I had bad nightmares, light handedness, dizziness, faintness. I won't wish this on my worst enemy! I missed work because after I my doctor told me to stop the med. It stayed in my system for 3 days."

Mrs.T (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

"Did that one poster seriously share an experience where a doctor had him/her on 750mg Levaquin for 7-weeks (49-days)? Is that even survivable, let alone right? I just finished 10-days of 750mg for an upper sinus infection that has lasted 5-months...it turned me inside out! It's too early to tell if it has really helped, but the CT showed no signs of infection now, so I'm hopeful. Everything else we've tried has given me temporary relief, but less than 2-weeks later was back with a vengeance. This was my 6th round of antibiotics...hopefully my last. I'm just curious how someone could stomach it for that long."

Curious_2 March 19, 2015

"I have taken Levaquin many times for my sinuses and have had 2 sinus surgeries. I am currently on my 38th day of 750mg and have 11 more days to go of taking it. We are doing this for so long as a last resort before doing surgery again. I can not tell that it is doing much good this go around. It does not allow me to rest well so I take it in the morning but I can honestly say that I am over the vomiting daily because of it. It also gives me the shakes and just a very bad overall feeling until lunch or so."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014

"I started Levaquin four days ago....noticed that I couldn't sleep the first night. I have a sinus infection with a bad cough. The cough has improved, but still have drainage and eye pain. I asked the doctor for sleep medication which he gave me so I have no problem with that now. Eating lots of yogurt and taking probiotics and drinking lots of fluids. Still, the infection may not respond to this antibiotic as I have had the infection on and off for several months. Used this antibiotic as a last resort. Hopefully, it will clear up soon."

Mindygirl June 29, 2014

"I'm on day three of this antibiotic. I've taken 6 other antibiotics for sinus infection, bronchitis and severe ear infections due to allergic reaction in Dec. I've not experienced too bad of sleep issues since the first night (I already struggle with sleep). Huge loss of appetite and need to increase water consumption. Just began experiencing a lot if drainage that chokes me when I cough. Waiting for the medication to work on my ears because I can't hear at all! Really worried about the muscle issues since I do work out a lot and need to for sanity but am taking time off while on this medication. Hopeful after reading post that this will help clear out the infection!"

Pifoofaery (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2014

"I was prescribed Levaquin after suffering for 2 weeks with a severe cold and sinusitis. The Levaquin took care of the cold, but I got such severe tendonitis in my right ankle the day after stopping a 10-day course of it that I couldn't even touch my foot to the floor. It has improved by staying off my feet and icing - ice is really your friend here - but almost two months later I am still icing and wearing a brace, and now the pain has migrated up my leg. But the real problem is that I have breast cancer for the second time, and the doctors do not want to operate until my body is infection-free and inflammation-free. My son's way to ice is the best: ice the spot with a cube until it has completely melted."

Lovesrobins (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2013

"I was very nervous when I was prescribed this medicine due to some other reviews I have read. I have had a sinus infection for the last 5 weeks and didn't clear up with the first round of Amoxicillin. I was given 500 mg of Levaquin for 10 days. I'm on day 9 and the sinus infection is completely gone. It took about 5 days for it to really start working. The only side effects I had were low appetite and trouble sleeping. The trouble sleeping was hard to deal with but I offset it with Unisom and that seemed to do the trick. I also took the medicine after lunch instead of right before bed. No upset stomach like I normally get with antibiotics. Would definitely use again and recommend."

JennfreakingJen August 27, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine does work very well to clear up the infection. I have taken it and had minimal side effects but other times like my most recent I had a lot of side effects, dizzy, insomnia, nerve pain. I have to stop taking it which is really too bad because no other antibiotic gets rid of a sinus infection faster than this."

Sidda (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

"I have had sinus infection problem for past 5-6 years. I typically get it around Spring time when my allergies are bad and then I get cold infection and then body gives up. Doctor prescribed 500 mg Amoxicilin 2 times a day. Took for 7 days. On 9th day, Sinus infection came back with fever, congestion, sneezing, etc. Doctor then put me on Cefdinir - 250 mg 2 times a day. Show improvement first 2 days. Cleared nose so that at-least I started breathing again. On 5th day it stopped working. Sinus would not clear. Doctor then changed me to Levaquin, 500 mg, once a day. Huge improvement on day 1 itself. On Day 2-70%. Day 3-80%, Day 4-90%, Day 5th-100%. Make sure to complete 7-10 days treatment. Drink lots of fluid. No muscle pain/tendinitis."

nick787 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given Levaquin for a persistent sinus infection. By the time I saw the doctor it was almost two months of sinus problems that were just getting worse. I was put on a 14 day regimen. For me, Levaquin worked. It took about 8 days for the sinus pain to start going away, and another 7-8 days for complete clear up of the infection (no runny nose, no sinus pain around the eyes, etc.). I heard some people have much quicker turn-around times for getting better, but at least it worked. I had no side-effects at all, not even upset stomach, like I get with other antibiotics."

BuzzMuzz March 6, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this medication for 6 of the 10 prescribed days and discontinued it on my own due to severe pain all over my body. The pain felt like a serious muscle/joint pain, mostly in my elbows, feet, ankles and shoulders. It has been about a week and I am still hurting and taking it easy. Forget the gym, that makes it much worse. I am taking pain medication daily (both NSAIDs and other meds) and it seems to help."

tangochick (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2013

"I love Levaquin. No other antibiotic even touches my sinus infections. My head starts to drain within hours of the first pill. Sinus pressure that I didn't even realize I had starts to go away the first day. The dose is generally only 1 pill a day, which makes things easy to remember. Often I will have sinus problems after dental work. I take Levaquin and my sinuses aren't irritated, don't swell and my teeth hurt less. I highly recommend this antibiotic. The only problems I ever experienced were occasional dry mouth and mild diarrhea on the first day."

Anonymous October 18, 2012

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Weird dreams"

Ant lee (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2012

"Within one hour had panic attack, crying, heart racing, nauseous, dizzy and sensitive to light. No appetite. No problems sleeping but was very scary. "

Anonymous March 23, 2012

"On day 9 of 14, 750mg, still sick but 75% feeling better. No sides effects so far."

jojumpn March 21, 2012

"Had been sick for going on a month now, First round of antibiotics was Amoxicillin 875 for 5 days. It worked up until day 5 and then had one of the worst rebounds I have experienced in a while. I am only on day 2 and I haven't felt this clear in months. I am a bit paranoid about the tendon and muscle warnings since I play soccer so I simply won't be doing any strenuous activities for a while. Then again, I tend to freak out when the slightest thing happens to me so we'll just see. You MUST drink lots of water with this Medicine.. it will surely dry you out. I was taking this with Allegra D 24 hour... and so far so good. Hopefully side effects won't be too bad if any at all. It does make you really tired though."

Anonymous January 13, 2012

"After being sick for three months and experiencing everything from lung actelecasis to confusion bleeding nose and extreme headaches my doctor put me on levaquin. It is mid day on day three of takin 500mg once a day. I feel a little light headed and my hands are shaky but I am starting to feel a bit better. Shaky hands and light headed are nothing compared to pleurisy, collapsed lung and bleeding infected sinuses. Recommended."

Anonymous November 26, 2011

"Saw a PA for sinus infection secondary to bronchitis and acute asthma. Prescribed Levaquin daily for 10 days. After the 2nd day on it I noticed severe right shoulder pain and mild left shoulder pain. I did not make the connection until day 7. I called my pharmacist and was told to stop taking medication. That was 6 days ago. I now also have pain in my right bicep. I had just finished a course of steroids for my asthma which may have made me at increase risk for this side effect. Good news is my sinus infection is gone. Public needs more info on side effects of medication. i"

toot2 May 16, 2011

"So far so good for my sinusitis. A little anxious, feel my heart beating a little faster, and will wake up a few times a night, but I feel it's worth it to get rid of this sinus issue I've had for the last 3 weeks."

Anonymous May 11, 2011