User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 366 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Sinusitis

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have taken Levaquin many times for my sinuses and have had 2 sinus surgeries. I am currently on my 38th day of 750mg and have 11 more days to go of taking it. We are doing this for so long as a last resort before doing surgery again. I can not tell that it is doing much good this go around. It does not allow me to rest well so I take it in the morning but I can honestly say that I am over the vomiting daily because of it. It also gives me the shakes and just a very bad overall feeling until lunch or so.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 8:50 AM

Review by Mindygirl:

I started Levaquin four days ago....noticed that I couldn't sleep the first night. I have a sinus infection with a bad cough. The cough has improved, but still have drainage and eye pain. I asked the doctor for sleep medication which he gave me so I have no problem with that now. Eating lots of yogurt and taking probiotics and drinking lots of fluids. Still, the infection may not respond to this antibiotic as I have had the infection on and off for several months. Used this antibiotic as a last resort. Hopefully, it will clear up soon.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 9:39 AM

Review by Pifoofaery (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on day three of this antibiotic. I've taken 6 other antibiotics for sinus infection, bronchitis and severe ear infections due to allergic reaction in Dec. I've not experienced too bad of sleep issues since the first night (I already struggle with sleep). Huge loss of appetite and need to increase water consumption. Just began experiencing a lot if drainage that chokes me when I cough. Waiting for the medication to work on my ears because I can't hear at all! Really worried about the muscle issues since I do work out a lot and need to for sanity but am taking time off while on this medication. Hopeful after reading post that this will help clear out the infection!

April 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Lovesrobins (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Levaquin after suffering for 2 weeks with a severe cold and sinusitis. The Levaquin took care of the cold, but I got such severe tendonitis in my right ankle the day after stopping a 10-day course of it that I couldn't even touch my foot to the floor. It has improved by staying off my feet and icing - ice is really your friend here - but almost two months later I am still icing and wearing a brace, and now the pain has migrated up my leg. But the real problem is that I have breast cancer for the second time, and the doctors do not want to operate until my body is infection-free and inflammation-free. My son's way to ice is the best: ice the spot with a cube until it has completely melted.

October 23, 2013 9:26 AM

Review by JennfreakingJen:

I was very nervous when I was prescribed this medicine due to some other reviews I have read. I have had a sinus infection for the last 5 weeks and didn't clear up with the first round of Amoxicillin. I was given 500 mg of Levaquin for 10 days. I'm on day 9 and the sinus infection is completely gone. It took about 5 days for it to really start working. The only side effects I had were low appetite and trouble sleeping. The trouble sleeping was hard to deal with but I offset it with Unisom and that seemed to do the trick. I also took the medicine after lunch instead of right before bed. No upset stomach like I normally get with antibiotics. Would definitely use again and recommend.

August 27, 2013 11:32 PM

Review by Sidda (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine does work very well to clear up the infection. I have taken it and had minimal side effects but other times like my most recent I had a lot of side effects, dizzy, insomnia, nerve pain. I have to stop taking it which is really too bad because no other antibiotic gets rid of a sinus infection faster than this.

June 15, 2013 9:26 AM

Review by nick787 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had sinus infection problem for past 5-6 years. I typically get it around Spring time when my allergies are bad and then I get cold infection and then body gives up. Doctor prescribed 500 mg Amoxicilin 2 times a day. Took for 7 days. On 9th day, Sinus infection came back with fever, congestion, sneezing, etc. Doctor then put me on Cefdinir - 250 mg 2 times a day. Show improvement first 2 days. Cleared nose so that at-least I started breathing again. On 5th day it stopped working. Sinus would not clear. Doctor then changed me to Levaquin, 500 mg, once a day. Huge improvement on day 1 itself. On Day 2-70%. Day 3-80%, Day 4-90%, Day 5th-100%. Make sure to complete 7-10 days treatment. Drink lots of fluid. No muscle pain/tendinitis.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2013 2:02 PM

Review by BuzzMuzz:

I was given Levaquin for a persistent sinus infection. By the time I saw the doctor it was almost two months of sinus problems that were just getting worse. I was put on a 14 day regimen. For me, Levaquin worked. It took about 8 days for the sinus pain to start going away, and another 7-8 days for complete clear up of the infection (no runny nose, no sinus pain around the eyes, etc.). I heard some people have much quicker turn-around times for getting better, but at least it worked. I had no side-effects at all, not even upset stomach, like I get with other antibiotics.

March 6, 2013 5:19 PM

Review by tangochick (taken for less than 1 month):

I took this medication for 6 of the 10 prescribed days and discontinued it on my own due to severe pain all over my body. The pain felt like a serious muscle/joint pain, mostly in my elbows, feet, ankles and shoulders. It has been about a week and I am still hurting and taking it easy. Forget the gym, that makes it much worse. I am taking pain medication daily (both NSAIDs and other meds) and it seems to help.

January 5, 2013 6:00 PM

I love Levaquin. No other antibiotic even touches my sinus infections. My head starts to drain within hours of the first pill. Sinus pressure that I didn't even realize I had starts to go away the first day. The dose is generally only 1 pill a day, which makes things easy to remember. Often I will have sinus problems after dental work. I take Levaquin and my sinuses aren't irritated, don't swell and my teeth hurt less. I highly recommend this antibiotic. The only problems I ever experienced were occasional dry mouth and mild diarrhea on the first day.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2012 10:29 AM

Review by Ant lee (taken for less than 1 month):

Weird dreams

September 21, 2012 4:51 AM

Within one hour had panic attack, crying, heart racing, nauseous, dizzy and sensitive to light. No appetite. No problems sleeping but was very scary.

March 23, 2012 2:07 PM

Review by jojumpn:

On day 9 of 14, 750mg, still sick but 75% feeling better. No sides effects so far.

March 21, 2012 12:22 AM

Had been sick for going on a month now, First round of antibiotics was Amoxicillin 875 for 5 days. It worked up until day 5 and then had one of the worst rebounds I have experienced in a while. I am only on day 2 and I haven't felt this clear in months. I am a bit paranoid about the tendon and muscle warnings since I play soccer so I simply won't be doing any strenuous activities for a while. Then again, I tend to freak out when the slightest thing happens to me so we'll just see. You MUST drink lots of water with this Medicine.. it will surely dry you out. I was taking this with Allegra D 24 hour... and so far so good. Hopefully side effects won't be too bad if any at all. It does make you really tired though.

January 13, 2012 8:30 AM

After being sick for three months and experiencing everything from lung actelecasis to confusion bleeding nose and extreme headaches my doctor put me on levaquin. It is mid day on day three of takin 500mg once a day. I feel a little light headed and my hands are shaky but I am starting to feel a bit better. Shaky hands and light headed are nothing compared to pleurisy, collapsed lung and bleeding infected sinuses. Recommended.

November 26, 2011 3:21 PM

Review by toot2:

Saw a PA for sinus infection secondary to bronchitis and acute asthma. Prescribed Levaquin daily for 10 days. After the 2nd day on it I noticed severe right shoulder pain and mild left shoulder pain. I did not make the connection until day 7. I called my pharmacist and was told to stop taking medication. That was 6 days ago. I now also have pain in my right bicep. I had just finished a course of steroids for my asthma which may have made me at increase risk for this side effect. Good news is my sinus infection is gone. Public needs more info on side effects of medication. i

May 16, 2011 3:49 PM

So far so good for my sinusitis. A little anxious, feel my heart beating a little faster, and will wake up a few times a night, but I feel it's worth it to get rid of this sinus issue I've had for the last 3 weeks.

May 11, 2011 10:40 PM

I am immunodeficient and need antibiotics often. My doctors try to stay with the older generations of antibiotics for a lot of things, plus I'm allergic to a lot of them now; and Levaquin is prescribed for when I am having acute issues like sinus infection and it does work very well. I have never had any of the bad side effects from it other than feeling a bit out of sorts, maybe an upset stomach, but I'm also sick while taking it so I would feel "off" regardless. Unfortunately (because it's a fairly expensive antibiotic) it has over the last years worked quite well, even with me.

January 9, 2011 12:59 PM

Review by Kenda:

I have an ear infection and am on day 5 of Levaquin. I am getting better everyday and have experienced no side effects.

January 7, 2011 12:48 PM

Review by Nightowl15:

I was prescribed 250mg of Levaquin after the ZPak didn't help my sinusitis, and the Levaquin didn't help either. After the 3rd day I had pain in my Achilles heel, fourth day, I had nausea and vomiting, however I just felt weak all over. The pain in my heel went away, but again a week later on my 9th or 10th day, I had nausea and vomiting again, and experienced vision problems with all those funny floaters in my eyes. I thought I saw spider webs all over, very disturbing and lightning flashes. I don't feel it was worth anything to me.

November 7, 2010 12:24 AM

Review by Tendons Hurt:

Two years ago, my doctor gave me a five day dose of Levaquin for a bad sinus infection. I have to admit, by the second day, all of my sinus symptoms were nearly gone. However, after about two weeks, I started noticing that the tendons around my heal and arch of my feet started to hurt. About a week later, the tendons in my neck and both elbows started hurting. To this day I still have pains in my tendons that come and go. The only thing that helps is NSAID's, stretching and B12 also seems to help.

September 10, 2010 2:18 PM

Review by LA MARGARITA:

I started taking Levaquin and felt much better. The only side effect was too much sleep. I feel tired and depressed. I can't wait to get rid of this sinus infection. I also took the same medicine for a bladder infection about a month ago and it sure help. I just need to be aware of the risks. So far I am good. Best to you all! Regards

April 17, 2010 2:39 PM

Review by Skier 9:

Have suffered sinus infections for years, particularly in Spring and early Summer. This is the only antibiotic that really works for me. Initially the doctors prescribed weaker antibiotics. I have never noticed any side effects whatsoever. Great drug. I have four friends who take it for sinus infections and they also swear by it. No problems whatsoever.

April 6, 2010 9:49 PM

Review by Worshipper1962L:

I have been so blessed to start using Levaquin. I have been sick for 1 months so far. I thought it was a cold, but I couldn't recover. After 2 weeks I took a Z-Pak for 5 days, and my symptoms got better, and then it came back. So, after 4 weeks of sickness, I started the Levaquin and after the first dose my ear infection that I also had at the same time was healing quickly. The second dose had me feeling so much better, that I believe this sinus infection will be gone soon. Yeah!

February 27, 2010 10:09 PM

Review by Ventura Guy:

Trying out this medication for a severe ear infection. 10 days of Amoxicillin did not work so Doctor told me to take this. The side effects sound scary but the long term result of no ear infection should outweigh the other stuff. I will try and report my findings after the 10 day run.

December 17, 2009 7:43 PM