User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 174 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Pneumonia

Review by Ewock (taken for less than 1 month):

Was sick for a week with pneumonia and went to urgent care. 102F fever, cough, no appetite, severe fatigue. Prescribed Levaquin and started feeling better in 2-3 days. Fatigue and cough continued for several weeks. Lost 7 pounds. I did not experience any side effects at all. Would highly recommend this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by Debbie doodles:

I had a high fever and was treated with Augmentin for a sinus infection but it turned into pneumonia. I was given Levaquin for 14 days 500 mg. It helped the pneumonia but it is hard on your stomach and I have now developed plantar fascitis.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by WARNING BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Took it for 3 days. Numb skin, lips, hands and feet. I can't sense temperature. Heart rate irregular. Seeing cardiologist tomorrow. Severe pain in lower extremities, only when trying to sleep though! Oh and my legs feel like they weigh 200lbs each. Today is 11 days off of medicine and still no relief.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by The Owl. PhD (Physics) (taken for less than 1 month):

Took Cipro for a pseudomonas infection and then five months later took Levaquin. Joint and tendon pain just kept getting worse and I'm still suffering from these side effects two months after discontinuing.

December 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by Dirtroad Sal:

This medicine made me feel absolutely horrible. Funny chest feeling, foggy head, dizzy, and an overall bad feeling. Never want to take again. Last three days took 1/2 in a.m. and other 1/2 in p.m. That was a lot better. Have been off for about two weeks, and still a foggy and light headed. Do not want to take again ever. I am 71 years old and it is not recommended for older people.

November 6, 2013 3:33 PM

Review by Diane MB:

I was hospitalized with pneumonia receiving Levaquin and fluids via IV. By the fifth day, the fever was gone and the cough was almost gone. I felt overwhelmingly tired for several weeks but my doctor said that is to be expected with pneumonia.

September 3, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by K.Charlene.T (taken for less than 1 month):

Went to the ER with severe coughing, chest pains and fever. After Xrays, CT scan and blood tests, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. The doc started me on Levaquin via IV and gave me a 5 day dose of 750mg. I am on day 4 and feel SO much better! Still coughing a little, but nothing compared to before!

July 24, 2013 4:50 PM

Review by Bridalmack (taken for less than 1 month):

Adverse reaction to Levaquin. Extreme numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes, ongoing dry mouth. First prescribed a few years ago for an infection. After complaining about the numbness I was told to discard them and given another antibiotic. Went in this time for pneumonia and was given a tablet before I realized this was the same medication I had an adverse reaction to before. Experiencing the same reaction after only one tablet, it's now 3 days later.

June 22, 2013 1:35 PM

Review by Chrissy S:

It worked great for my pneumonia but it caused my heart rate to go up, chest pain and anxiety. I would ask for a different one if you have heart issues or tachycardia.

June 18, 2013 1:30 AM

Review by Snoop5118:

After six hours I began to feel relief. After day four, I'm close to 100% cured...but I have six more days to take Levaquin 750mg. I'm also eating a cup of yogurt per day. Make sure you drink lots of water with this medicine or you will feel horrible! Otherwise, I love it.

April 5, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by CareBearMoore (taken for less than 1 month):

This antibiotic is really helping. I had horrible chest pain, mucus, hard time breathing, fever, etc. I was diagnosed with pneumonia and sinusitis. I was given a 10 day course of 500mg of Levaquin. I am on day 7 and only a few side effects. Minor dizziness, headaches, MAJOR fatigue and feeling of being in a fog. Overall tolerable but I cannot wait to be done! I feel pretty much back to normal with only a tickling cough left. Also I should note that I sleep VERY well and my appetite has not been affected. I am pleased considering how sick I was and the fact that other antibiotics made me feel horrible in the past.

October 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Review by murrayone:

I am a serious marathon runner. Started suffering from strange respiratory problems 3 weeks before Chicago marathon. Flew into town to run with a 102f fever. Doctor prescribed this. Within 48 hours things started improving. Now 6 days in on 10 day treatment and most symptoms gone. No side effects. Didn't run marathon, but this medicine seemed to break a nasty infection.

October 12, 2011 6:51 AM

I got a severe allergic reaction after taking this medicine for 2 days: my lips were really swollen, fingers got swollen, I got skin rash. It seemed to be helping with the pneumonia though.

August 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Review by Sherris !:

I went from bedridden to feeling good again in two days. I am on a 5 day plan and on day 3 some ankle aches and pressure in my head. Overall feeling a lot better.

June 23, 2011 12:33 AM

I am in the medical field and this is by far the best antibiotic you can get outside of the hospital. If you have a bacterial infection in your lungs and you want it to clear up right away then this is the medicine for you. On the downside it is a very expensive but at some point you get tired of being sick and realize it is worth every single penny. You will be well in no time!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2011 5:22 PM

Seems to be the only antibiotic that will work for me.

September 14, 2010 6:50 PM

Review by Randy_randy:

7-day regime prescribed: now in day 3 and feeling great! Day 0 I was flat in bed with 105 fever. I am 60 and no side effects at all.

April 4, 2010 3:28 AM

This medicine is amazing and I would like to thank all the inventors and people involved in developing and commercializing this medication. I was afflicted with a pneumonia and after I started taking, I started seeing a benefit within 24-48 hours. 7 days of treatment did the job and I have myself back.

March 27, 2010 7:15 AM

Review by tide:

I have been using this drug for 5 days. I have pneumonia and bronchitis. My cough is better and I am beginning to cough up mucus. My only problem is that I am very tired and want to sleep a lot. I have 5 more days and we will see.

February 8, 2010 8:19 PM

I was given Levaquin for pneumonia. I now in a lot of pain in the arch of both my feet and lower back. I am being treated by my Doctor for the side effects.

October 27, 2009 2:18 PM

Caused severe tendinitis in my knee, and a minor attack of tendinitis in my thumb.

October 9, 2009 11:42 PM

I had mild to severe coughing for several months, tried several other antibiotics and nothing worked until Lavaquin. I almost gave up. Two weeks ago went into the emergency room on Las Vegas with increased breathing and coughing problems. Blood tests, lung xrays, cat scan, oxygen, etc. etc. Two to three days after taking some prednisone, and a 10 day prescription for Levaquin all seems to have completely cleared up!!!

October 7, 2009 4:24 PM

Review by Ms. Neill:

This medicine is very good. It really is effective. The side effects are tolerable. I would strongly recommend that the directions are followed by the patient.

May 30, 2009 11:10 AM

I've been given this medicine twice - once for serious bronchitis/pneumonia that nearly required hospitialization. Since I am a well trained athlete, hospitalization for a lung infection was serious. Doctors tried several other drugs before the Levaquin, but Levaquin was best. Now dealing with a relatively minor bronchitis and have it again. I've never had any of the side effects others listed - bear in mind that weakness and headaches and many other symptoms might just be the progression of the disease and not due to the drug. It's hard to tell since each bout is different but compared to many other drugs, this is statistically a very good bet. If you have bronchitis or a respiratory infection, take your medicines with lots of fluids.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2009 7:18 PM

Review by RR4356:

Worked well. Very few side effects.

March 29, 2009 3:19 PM