User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Bronchitis

"I have been on this antibiotic for 6 days for pneumonia and while the cough has slowed way down, I am having severe chest pain. I am thinking it's because when I do have a coughing fit it's violent, Brutal. I only have one more dose at 500 mg and I am worried I'm relapsing, though no high temp I feel almost like I started out. I am now trying herbal teas, garlic, Rosemary and Kombucha. I just started these so I'm praying it will all work as a team. No side effects only a little queasy!"

CLoggins (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"I was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis, 500mg. for 7 days. It really cleared up the bronchitis, but left me with bad tendonitis in my right leg. No telling how long this will go on. I can barely walk when I first get up in the morning, although it gets better with gentle exercise. I too have noticed crazy dreams, no dizziness, but I think it is causing me to make some bad decisions. Do not take this medicine for anything under any conditions. Find some other drug. The side effects are unpredictable, come on after you have already stopped taking it, and are miserable. I'm going to try some of the remedies the other reviewers have mentioned."

pxebtz (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

"Every winter I get terrible Bronchitis. Usually am constantly coughing, use a nebulizer, use inhaler, this all last literally until spring! Coughing for months. This time caught it early. Took shots and Levaquin for ten days. Felt like total crude for the whole time BUT it worked. First time it all left without those months of cough, cough, coughing solid back to back. Can't tell you what a relief it was. SO take it!! Despite side affects unless it's too serious you'll be glad you did!!"

PJPKR January 16, 2015

"This is my 3rd time taking this medicine. First 2 times my shin bones hurt bad for 2 weeks this time my left thumb and palm so far hurts badly but this medicine does work for what ailes me. I just hope my shin bones don't hurt so bad this time. By the way my prescription is 5 pills of 750mg daily for 5 days."

an old fart (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2014

"This is the third time I had asthmatic bronchitis and using Levaquin. First time I had been given Biaxin which not only didn't work but I almost had to be hospitalized. Then prescribed Levaquin and by the fifth day felt 100% better. Side effects get less with each day.(Mine are stomach upset and drowsiness) But without this medicine I would need oxygen. Thanks there are better options."

LinZee55 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2014

"I have a very bad bout of bronchitis. I'm on day 5 and I don't feel markedly improved. The coughing is not quite as often, however when I do cough the phlegm feels thicker and the coughing spasms are more violent. It could be because the Mucinex is now wearing off. I just had higher expectations. Now I'm nervous, because I don't feel like my condition is improving. And the sound and feel of the mucus is a lot worse, but no side effects."

Shay_Shay (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

"Was given this drug following severe bronchitis due to chronic dental inflammations. By day 3, I realized my left ankle was painful and hobbled. I read the black box warnings and immediately discontinued the drug, however, that ankle and then the other one got progressively worse. I was barely making it to work and back, trying to do eldercare solo, and thinking I was going to be crippled for life 6 months later. Was seriously looking into joining class action lawsuit and probably should have, but no energy left over. Think megadoses of magnesium and supplements plus some homeopathics like Thuja finally tipped the balance, and I gradually was able to walk normally without pain again. Used Oil of Oregano to clear the infections."

Healthcaring (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

"Two years ago I suffered with chronic pneumonia for over a year. It seemed my GP couldn't be bothered to figure out why I wasn't getting better. (I later found out she had never prescribed Levaquin to people, nor did she know that this was a medicine that should be considered when the first "go to" antibiotics don't work. Finally, after another ER visit I sought the advice of a great pulmonologist who prescribed 750mg of Levaquin for a 10-day course. I started feeling better immediately and it was the last antibiotic I had to take because it finally knocked out the pneumonia. I had no side effects. I have pneumonia again and went straight to Levaquin. I now request it & is the only antibiotic I'll take for these types of infections."

Punky33 May 9, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Levaquin is the only antibiotic that works for me when I get either bronchitis or pneumonia. I take 750mg for 10 days and I swear by it. I've been taking it for years with no noticeable side effects. I am now 62."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis. Very dizzy and nauseous after one pill. "

Anonymous June 3, 2012

"Took this last year for my first bout with pneumonia, I felt like I was on deaths door, cleared it up in 5 days. Now back 10 months later with bronchitis, not nearly as bad as pneumonia but getting ready for a 7 day hiking trip in Maine, asked Dr for this again, 2 days later I feel 90% better. I love this medicine."

Anonymous May 25, 2012

"I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia at least every other year for the past 20 or so years. Out of all of those illnesses I was given Levaquin twice and can not understand why it wasn't perscribed more. I didn't have any side effects at all. In fact, my recovery time with this medicine was marked in days and not weeks like the other perscriptions! One year I actually lost 3 weeks of work (could have actually used more time but I didn't have any time left). I'm actually battling bronchitis right now and when I asked why Levaquin wasn't prescribed since it has worked so well in the past, the doctor just looked at me and said he prefers the Amoxicillin. Fine for him....he's not stuck in bed coughing up lungs!"

Anonymous February 16, 2012

"I took this and in 3 days I felt so much better. I took 500mg and Mucinex along side it. I always eat some type of vinegar foods (olives or pickles) and because antibiotics are hard on the stomach and vinegar offset the heartburn. I eat yogurt to offset the yeast infection and bananas to keep from muscle cramps (potassium). This is the only medicine that ever helps me. I had a doctor give me something and after 2 weeks it didn%u2019t even phase the infection. 3 days of Levaquin and I was back feeling so much better. I can%u2019t say enough about this medicine. My mom went on it as she got it too and she was shocked how much better she felt after it. She agreed this is a good antibiotic."

staygood123 December 23, 2011

"I've been taking Levofloxacin for bronchitis (5 days, 750 mg), and I think it's helped a little bit, but it's day five (last dose tonight) and I still feel only a little better than I did before I started. Maybe it's a virus or something, so it isn't responding? Oh well. The biggest problem I've had is the side effects: not as bad as what most people have been talking about (knock on wood), but I have experienced severe, severe nausea, and also insomnia. I take it at around 6 p.m., and the nausea usually goes away by the next afternoon. I started taking it with food, and also drinking a probiotic, and it seems to be helping a little, though I still feel a bit sick. The insomnia is pretty bad! "

Anonymous September 18, 2011

"Was given Levaquin for bronchitis/pneumonia. Within 15 minutes of first dose, I had violent vomiting that lasted almost a half hour. Cannot know if this would help or not. Doctor advised to discontinue use and continue with the steroids. After 4 days,congestion in chest almost cleared. Check all interactions before using."

Anonymous September 1, 2011

"I am 54 years old and was put on Levaquin in August. I had side effect from the medication that caused joint and tendon pain and damage. I used to take it when I was younger with a good outcome. It is now January and I still have very bad knee and tendon pain. Beware of the medication."

Anonymous January 12, 2011

"I was prescribed Levaquin for bronchitis and sinusitis. I have terrible dreams that wake me up every couple hours, so I'm so tired during the day. Also noticed numbness and shaking in my fingers. Made my skin and sinuses very dry. A little dizzy in the mornings, but that might be due to the lack of quality sleep. Hardly an appetite at all, and the headaches are horrible. But it does seem to be breaking up all the mucus in my chest and head. Finally I feel some relief after 2 months of being sick!"

Anonymous November 25, 2010

"I went to the Dr. yesterday feeling like I had some sort of cold, not thinking that Bronchitis was one of them, so he gave me Levaquin. I mentioned why not a Z Pack and he said this was stronger and after just one does the next morning I did feel better. I suppose to take it for 10 days at 500 MG - I haven't had any real big side effects just yet, but I did feel dizzy this morning"

irockfm2 March 9, 2010

"I feel good after taking levaquin because I feel the medicine is working. I was being cured. I admit that it is expensive but it is worth it. It really works!"

LOrina January 28, 2010

"No problems, feeling great, breathing better today. 750 mg 4 days left."

a man 49years January 21, 2010

"I am on day 7 and I am still congested. While the congestion is not as bad as it was it is still bad. I'm not impressed. I have never had an antibiotic take so long to work. Reading now some of the side effects I at least now know what was causing the crazy dreams."

Anonymous January 19, 2010

"Just want to report my experience after just one dose. I was prescribed 7 doses at 500mg for bronchitis. I went to the doctor because the cough I had was resulting in a suffocating feeling after the cough. I was in bad shape. After just one dose, the cough is not so devastating--certainly no longer feels like I am suffocating. Although I slept real good last night, I do indeed feel fatigued today. Now editing this comment after the full 7 day use of this medication. I didn't realize until the 4th day of use that I was experiencing the "dizziness" side effect that can result from use. That is the only reason this medicine doesn't get a 10 rating from me. It really knocked out my infection. However, the dizziness was indeed bothersome."

Slikman December 30, 2009

"Dosage was 500 mg for 10 days. Stopped after 2. Feet and ankle pain and swollen knees, hands and fingers that do not stop aching. Also lower back pain. Headache is almost constant despite Tylenol every four hours. Cough has lessened but feel overall much weaker."

gypsyred December 25, 2009

"I have noticed that I have a difficult time sleeping but the worst thing is the yeast infection. My doctor said this almost always happens on this med with women that have a tendency to get one so you must decide if it is a necessary evil. I hate antibiotics as a whole, but feel a bit better after only one dose. I have been taking it at night because I was afraid of the dizziness and other side effects during the day."

bercat October 27, 2009

"I have been diagnosed 19 years ago with Sarcoidosis...more recently I have been told I have chronic bronchitis (have never smoked). This will be my fourth time taking this medication. It is prescribed at 750 mg. Usually I am taking prednisone with it, but I have weened off of the prednisone after being on it for two years straight. This will be my first time using Levaquin without the prednisone. In the past, I am very tired during the day and dizzy if I get up too fast. The medication has worked for me in the past, quieting down the coughing. It should be interesting if it is as effective without prednisone."

tgcieri September 15, 2009