User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Bronchitis

Review by Healthcaring (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Was given this drug following severe bronchitis due to chronic dental inflammations. By day 3, I realized my left ankle was painful and hobbled. I read the black box warnings and immediately discontinued the drug, however, that ankle and then the other one got progressively worse. I was barely making it to work and back, trying to do eldercare solo, and thinking I was going to be crippled for life 6 months later. Was seriously looking into joining class action lawsuit and probably should have, but no energy left over. Think megadoses of magnesium and supplements plus some homeopathics like Thuja finally tipped the balance, and I gradually was able to walk normally without pain again. Used Oil of Oregano to clear the infections.

October 26, 2013 10:27 PM
Review by Punky33: User Rating:

Two years ago I suffered with chronic pneumonia for over a year. It seemed my GP couldn't be bothered to figure out why I wasn't getting better. (I later found out she had never prescribed Levaquin to people, nor did she know that this was a medicine that should be considered when the first "go to" antibiotics don't work. Finally, after another ER visit I sought the advice of a great pulmonologist who prescribed 750mg of Levaquin for a 10-day course. I started feeling better immediately and it was the last antibiotic I had to take because it finally knocked out the pneumonia. I had no side effects. I have pneumonia again and went straight to Levaquin. I now request it & is the only antibiotic I'll take for these types of infections.

May 9, 2013 8:05 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Levaquin is the only antibiotic that works for me when I get either bronchitis or pneumonia. I take 750mg for 10 days and I swear by it. I've been taking it for years with no noticeable side effects. I am now 62.

June 5, 2012 10:42 PM

Was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis. Very dizzy and nauseous after one pill.

June 3, 2012 8:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took this last year for my first bout with pneumonia, I felt like I was on deaths door, cleared it up in 5 days. Now back 10 months later with bronchitis, not nearly as bad as pneumonia but getting ready for a 7 day hiking trip in Maine, asked Dr for this again, 2 days later I feel 90% better. I love this medicine.

May 25, 2012 12:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia at least every other year for the past 20 or so years. Out of all of those illnesses I was given Levaquin twice and can not understand why it wasn't perscribed more. I didn't have any side effects at all. In fact, my recovery time with this medicine was marked in days and not weeks like the other perscriptions! One year I actually lost 3 weeks of work (could have actually used more time but I didn't have any time left). I'm actually battling bronchitis right now and when I asked why Levaquin wasn't prescribed since it has worked so well in the past, the doctor just looked at me and said he prefers the Amoxicillin. Fine for him....he's not stuck in bed coughing up lungs!

February 16, 2012 7:36 PM
Review by staygood123: User Rating:

I took this and in 3 days I felt so much better. I took 500mg and Mucinex along side it. I always eat some type of vinegar foods (olives or pickles) and because antibiotics are hard on the stomach and vinegar offset the heartburn. I eat yogurt to offset the yeast infection and bananas to keep from muscle cramps (potassium). This is the only medicine that ever helps me. I had a doctor give me something and after 2 weeks it didn%u2019t even phase the infection. 3 days of Levaquin and I was back feeling so much better. I can%u2019t say enough about this medicine. My mom went on it as she got it too and she was shocked how much better she felt after it. She agreed this is a good antibiotic.

December 23, 2011 12:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking Levofloxacin for bronchitis (5 days, 750 mg), and I think it's helped a little bit, but it's day five (last dose tonight) and I still feel only a little better than I did before I started. Maybe it's a virus or something, so it isn't responding? Oh well. The biggest problem I've had is the side effects: not as bad as what most people have been talking about (knock on wood), but I have experienced severe, severe nausea, and also insomnia. I take it at around 6 p.m., and the nausea usually goes away by the next afternoon. I started taking it with food, and also drinking a probiotic, and it seems to be helping a little, though I still feel a bit sick. The insomnia is pretty bad!

September 18, 2011 3:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Was given Levaquin for bronchitis/pneumonia. Within 15 minutes of first dose, I had violent vomiting that lasted almost a half hour. Cannot know if this would help or not. Doctor advised to discontinue use and continue with the steroids. After 4 days,congestion in chest almost cleared. Check all interactions before using.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2011 7:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am 54 years old and was put on Levaquin in August. I had side effect from the medication that caused joint and tendon pain and damage. I used to take it when I was younger with a good outcome. It is now January and I still have very bad knee and tendon pain. Beware of the medication.

January 12, 2011 12:35 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was prescribed Levaquin for bronchitis and sinusitis. I have terrible dreams that wake me up every couple hours, so I'm so tired during the day. Also noticed numbness and shaking in my fingers. Made my skin and sinuses very dry. A little dizzy in the mornings, but that might be due to the lack of quality sleep. Hardly an appetite at all, and the headaches are horrible. But it does seem to be breaking up all the mucus in my chest and head. Finally I feel some relief after 2 months of being sick!

November 25, 2010 4:12 PM
Review by irockfm2: User Rating:

I went to the Dr. yesterday feeling like I had some sort of cold, not thinking that Bronchitis was one of them, so he gave me Levaquin. I mentioned why not a Z Pack and he said this was stronger and after just one does the next morning I did feel better. I suppose to take it for 10 days at 500 MG - I haven't had any real big side effects just yet, but I did feel dizzy this morning

March 9, 2010 1:56 PM
Review by LOrina: User Rating:

I feel good after taking levaquin because I feel the medicine is working. I was being cured. I admit that it is expensive but it is worth it. It really works!

January 28, 2010 3:28 AM
Review by a man 49years: User Rating:

No problems, feeling great, breathing better today. 750 mg 4 days left.

January 21, 2010 11:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am on day 7 and I am still congested. While the congestion is not as bad as it was it is still bad. I'm not impressed. I have never had an antibiotic take so long to work. Reading now some of the side effects I at least now know what was causing the crazy dreams.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 19, 2010 7:27 PM
Review by Slikman: User Rating:

Just want to report my experience after just one dose. I was prescribed 7 doses at 500mg for bronchitis. I went to the doctor because the cough I had was resulting in a suffocating feeling after the cough. I was in bad shape. After just one dose, the cough is not so devastating--certainly no longer feels like I am suffocating. Although I slept real good last night, I do indeed feel fatigued today. Now editing this comment after the full 7 day use of this medication. I didn't realize until the 4th day of use that I was experiencing the "dizziness" side effect that can result from use. That is the only reason this medicine doesn't get a 10 rating from me. It really knocked out my infection. However, the dizziness was indeed bothersome.

December 30, 2009 5:16 PM
Review by gypsyred: User Rating:

Dosage was 500 mg for 10 days. Stopped after 2. Feet and ankle pain and swollen knees, hands and fingers that do not stop aching. Also lower back pain. Headache is almost constant despite Tylenol every four hours. Cough has lessened but feel overall much weaker.

December 25, 2009 4:14 PM
Review by bercat: User Rating:

I have noticed that I have a difficult time sleeping but the worst thing is the yeast infection. My doctor said this almost always happens on this med with women that have a tendency to get one so you must decide if it is a necessary evil. I hate antibiotics as a whole, but feel a bit better after only one dose. I have been taking it at night because I was afraid of the dizziness and other side effects during the day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 27, 2009 8:54 PM
Review by tgcieri:

I have been diagnosed 19 years ago with Sarcoidosis...more recently I have been told I have chronic bronchitis (have never smoked). This will be my fourth time taking this medication. It is prescribed at 750 mg. Usually I am taking prednisone with it, but I have weened off of the prednisone after being on it for two years straight. This will be my first time using Levaquin without the prednisone. In the past, I am very tired during the day and dizzy if I get up too fast. The medication has worked for me in the past, quieting down the coughing. It should be interesting if it is as effective without prednisone.

September 15, 2009 7:58 AM
Review by Bronchy: User Rating:

I feel better after taking this medicine for 5 days. I am experiencing some dizziness and lack of appetite. I'm not feeling as much improvement as I hoped I would by this time. Sleeping well still and no hyperactivity. I do notice lots of tenderness in my Achilles tendons on both sides. We will see after 5 more days. I got the medicine for bronchitis 500 mg for 10 days.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 14, 2009 7:53 AM
Review by emmycat: User Rating:

I started my first dose of 750mg last night before reading the adverse side-effects! Big mistake. I only slept one hour, which was 4:40am to 5:30am and it was fitful. I feel extremely energetic, even hyper. I don't even feel tired! My face was getting red around 9:00am and now my face, neck, chest and shoulders are bright red and painful. I feel like I'm super sun-burned. I called the pharmacist and she told me to take some Benadryl immediately and call my Doctor. I'm waiting on him to return my call. It doesn't matter since I don't plan on taking a second dose. This is really a very powerful antibiotic and I my breathing feels much better even after one dose. If I wasn't having such a bad allergic reaction, I would recommend this medicine.

August 21, 2009 2:32 PM
Review by Trickeye: User Rating:

I was perscribed Levaquin for bronchitis and it was completely effective. Now six months later I have developed a full compliment of the drugs side effects. Thrush, hives, yeast infection(vaginal), leg cramps and a knotted tendon. I am 65.

May 17, 2009 2:27 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I had a very negative reaction to this antibiotic. Extreme fatigue, continuing muscle weakness (after approximately 5 weeks), very vivid and frightening dreams, slow improvement in my bronchitis. I will never take this again.

April 17, 2009 9:09 PM
Review by Syney: User Rating:

This is a great medication. While it does make you restless if you take to late in the day, it really makes you feel better quick. There was slight discomfort in joints for first 2 days and went away. On for 7 days, 750 mg. It works very well. It gave me this burst of energy all day and it really decreases your appetite.

April 3, 2009 2:05 PM
Review by missujenny: User Rating:

Day 9 of 10, feeling essentially normal. Bronchitis mostly cleared up by day 4, then lingered a couple more. Took it with full glass of water 1/2hr before breakfast. No side effects, except a blue tongue.

March 27, 2009 1:08 AM